The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

+32
Roller_Coaster
Bob_the_Job
JAS
NickisBHAFC
Hoggy_Bear
navyblueshorts
sportform
monty junior
NedB-H
owen10ozzy
Eyetoldyouso
Scottrf
mystiroakey
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
Hibbz
beninho
MontysMerkin
LadyPutt
SmithersJones
John Cregan
dynamark
GPB
Lairdy
Shotrock
MustPuttBetter
sirbenson
McLaren
pedro
incontinentia
I'm never wrong
kwinigolfer
36 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Apr 2015, 3:08 am

First topic message reminder :

1).Last year I slurped a couple of bottles of Malbec and attempted to make a case for a European Champion. Henrik Stenson was the chosen candidate and he played well but not nearly well enough, Jonas Blixt finishing ahead of him as the leading Swede. So we changed the formula this year, not the Malbec of course, but let's revert to Andy North's time-honoured process of elimination.
NB: Any bias or prejudice is entirely intentional.

2).Starting with Amateurs. One or two have come close, Patton, Venturi, but none won a Green Jacket and that won't change this year. Seven eliminated.

3).No rookie has one since Fuzzy Zoeller over 35 years ago. I fancy Tringale to play well, but I'll go with history and take out the 13 first-timers.

4).Jack Nicklaus won the 1986 Masters at the age of 46, the oldest Champion. I don't see any of the forty-somethings in the field improving their game, so let's dispense with the likes of Westwood, Furyk and Els and 20 others. 23 can exit, best chances Phil, who's only had one top ten finish since Muirfield, and Cabrera, always a decent each way punt.

5).Augusta National could be the toughest walking course these guys play, not good if you're carrying a knock, physically or mentally, or in some cases Tiger, both. Bye bye to seven crocks, including McDowell, Stenson and Reed.

6).Poor putters and scramblers need not apply. 24 still standing are #110 or below in the PGA Tour's primary putting or scrambling stat. On your way then Dustin, Rickie, Keegan, Webb, Kaymer, Rose, Charl and Adam. Big risk sending Matsuyama and Oosthuizen down the road, but their putting has not been good enough. Russell Henley may be a putting genius but he needs to scramble too.

7).As baseball fans know, "Chicks dig the long ball", and so do Augusta's Green Jackets; bad news for slowpokes Crane and Na and eight others, none of them in the top 100. Sorry Sneds, still good for a place.

8).Only fourteen left so time to discard those currently out of form. Regardless of what they might have done elsewhere in the world, none of this lot have a PGA Tour top ten finish this year: Dubuisson, Grace, Ilonen, Mahan, Streelman, Villegas. Adios to the 6 of you.

9).And of the rest, only Jason Day, Spieth and Jimmy Walker have wins, so San-Moon Bae, Sergio, Rory, Ryan Palmer and Bubba can leave quietly down Magnolia Lane.

10).Day, Spieth and Walker have all played well at Augusta. Day and Spieth have play-off wins this year, Walker has two wins by a total of 13 strokes. Give me the proven winner and measure up Jimmy Walker for a Green Jacket. Cheers.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Apr 2015, 6:52 pm

What would you bet on next Grumps? I would have thought a 6, an 8 or a ten. But it's a four! St.Ben on a roll.

Poults +4 on the four par 3's. Not good enough; waste of 5 birdies.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by John Cregan Thu 09 Apr 2015, 6:53 pm

18 shots at the 11th for 4 rounds would be ok I think. So tough. Not sure McIlroy's temperament is where it needs to be to handle Augusta............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 09 Apr 2015, 7:01 pm

Kwini, just edited my post. Would never have guessed Uncle Ben was a Blockheads fan...

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Apr 2015, 7:13 pm

Pity it wasn't 2 4 6 8, #14 would be the motorway for Tom Robinson. Oops, I see it was, kinda.

First missed fairway followed by first 3-putt from Mr.Woods. I've a feeling that the front nine will tell his story - if he goes out in 40 he won't be redeeming himself with a back-nine 30.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 09 Apr 2015, 7:15 pm

Rory has fluffed two chips today by the look of things!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 09 Apr 2015, 7:16 pm

Tiger on 2 on Shottracker just hit it backwards 230 yards !!!!
Might be a glitch on my computer

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 09 Apr 2015, 7:20 pm

Hold on Kwini, that motoroway might still be coming up....

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 09 Apr 2015, 7:23 pm

I'm not that smart Kwin! Rose does look comfortable out there.

Time for Rory to get into the red.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 09 Apr 2015, 7:41 pm

Decent start from Koepka!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Apr 2015, 7:44 pm

Wee Woosie going well: Even par after 12 holes, hope the Welshman doesn't spring a leek.

Not good for Poults or Westwood, but in at 73 and could've been worse for both. No real surprises among the clunkers.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 09 Apr 2015, 7:54 pm

Keep it going Paddy!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Apr 2015, 8:01 pm

Crenshaw needs at least a bogey on #18 to break 90 - even money?

WooHoo, TV begins!

EDIT: BooHoo, First voice I hear is that of Mike Tirico. Mute!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 09 Apr 2015, 8:20 pm

I'll take your money Kwini. Not even close. 48 on the back for Uncle Ben. Plenty of fours, fives, and sixes on the card along with a two, a seven, and an eight. No threes.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 09 Apr 2015, 8:25 pm

Surprises so far?

JB Holmes comparatively poor round considering his form so far this year

Ditto Stenson, although its early in his round

Charlie Hoffman...not that he's leading, his hair!!! What happened to it?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 09 Apr 2015, 8:43 pm

Full TV coverage has been about an hour; who's wasted from playing the Masters Drinking Game that INW posted?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 09 Apr 2015, 8:51 pm

Quite a few of those relate to Peter Alliss...who is BBC .....who don't start unil the weekend with live coverage....but I've heard Seve mentioned several times.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Apr 2015, 8:53 pm

"My name's Tiger Woods, but I wish it was Ernie Els." Isn't that what the t-shirts used to say?
ERNIE!!!!!

Good round in the end from Rory, and Woosie still going strong. EDIT: There's that leek, double bogey for Woosie, sorry to see that.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Thu 09 Apr 2015, 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 09 Apr 2015, 8:56 pm

Lowry playing a game with which I am familiar picard

Spieth is delivering so far. Walker less so
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 09 Apr 2015, 8:59 pm

Almost against my own better judgement I took a very small punt with the bookies on Lowry at very long odds.

Looks like one less pint of Guinness out of my pocket money for next week

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Apr 2015, 9:02 pm

It seems I forgot kwinis threads were stickys.

Come on rose

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 09 Apr 2015, 9:04 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:Quite a few of those relate to Peter Alliss...who is BBC .....who don't start unil the weekend with live coverage....but I've heard Seve mentioned several times.

Just as well, you'd have no chance getting up for work on Friday, Monday might not be much better. Unless you happen to pass out midway through Saturday...

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 09 Apr 2015, 9:06 pm

Highly impressive stuff from Spieth!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 09 Apr 2015, 9:08 pm

The old adage says that you can't win a tournament (especially the Masters) on the first day, but you can certainly lose it

Doesn't look like any of the strong favourites have lost it today, but I'm sure they wish they had been a little lower (Rory, Bubba etc). None of the real favourites done themselves any damage yet though the likes of Stenson, Holmes and maybe Walker have some serious work to do yet

Spieth still looking the real deal though - has there been a better clutch putter than him in recent months? OK he's got some years yet to match Tiger when he was good, but on current form he's starting to look a little that way

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Apr 2015, 9:11 pm

How much longer will Joe LaCava be flashing that New York Rangers t-shirt before the Green Jackets tell him to button up?

Spieth playing marvellous golf so far; can't say I fancied him this week but what a start . . . . . . .

And Woods's chipping looks a bit crisper.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 09 Apr 2015, 9:12 pm

Crazy early ... but I do get the feeling the Rory's getting the pump primed and ol Ernie will almost certainly run out of gas. Excellent day's work from Mr. Rose!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 09 Apr 2015, 9:30 pm

Koepka falling apart here! Still has time to get it back to par before the end of the day!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 09 Apr 2015, 9:41 pm

Spieth has had some lucky breaks...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 09 Apr 2015, 9:54 pm

Think that's it for TW. Swing's gone to pieces.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:04 pm

Omg .. Speith is on fire

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:06 pm

A few lucky breaks for Speith to be sure.

But, as they say, it's a scorecard and not a post card.

Wonderful effort from Ernie!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:09 pm

Woods in the drink.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:12 pm

Just realised I'm watching a bit behind. Ernie and Jordan both at -6, Tiger in the bunker at 10, see what you mean about Jordan being lucky at 13.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:12 pm

You make your own the luck. The lad is on fire. 8 under

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:17 pm

Somewhere super_realist is anticipating a 72-hole score of 252 . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:19 pm

Yes, where is our favourite curmudgeon?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:21 pm

Els finishes on 5 under..No change in the club house lead..

But still a great round from the big easy.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:27 pm

Incredible stuff from Spieth, although he has got a fair share of luck

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:30 pm

Irish ancestry?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:39 pm

If Spieth was the real deal he would have holed his par putt on 15.

(Some irony may occur in this post.)

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:40 pm

What is going on with woods short game?

He would be 7 over if he hadn't fixed it. Kudus to him. But he still has zero chance at this event.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:53 pm

Woods score is not indicative of his poor game. Good on him that he (apparently) puts a decent score together.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:00 pm

Some of the middle-of-the-roaders will be hoping for another bogey or two from Mr.Spieth as they struggle to stay within ten strokes.

Cometh this hour cometh the Sergio . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:02 pm

Sergio has played well. He could easily have been 6 under.

Last edited by pedro on Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:02 pm

Give Tiger a break guys, he's obviously still stuck between two different release patterns
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:04 pm

If this were the US Open, TW would be +10 at this stage in his round.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:28 pm

A fine finish from Jordan, but they day may yet belong to Day.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:29 pm

Tiger's just a few rep's away . . . . . .
Magnificent from Spieth, and Day's a-coming to get him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:34 pm

Spieth holes so many putts in the 10-25 feet range!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:55 pm

More disappointment from Lukey, who I can't imagine will contend as the course gets wetter and longer.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Apr 2015, 12:15 am

Plenty of top players (not just the British) who will be disadvantaged IF the "course gets wetter and longer".

But you'd have to think that anyone +4 and better has a chance, so long as they have three top rounds.

Spieth will have (has earned) the best of Friday's conditions; if he shoots anything in the 60's he's really spreading the field, and the cut.
Martin Kaymer the biggest name on the wrong side of the cut-line.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next