The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Rugby Challenge Cup Final - Edinburgh V Gloucester

+41
highland_scot
LeinsterFan4life
Totalflanker
LordDowlais
doctor_grey
mckay1402
alive555
IanBru
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Imperialbigdave
jimbopip
The Saint
Majestic83
Weegie Wizard
Notch
nickj
des
MunsterMac
SecretFly
Sgt_Pooly
LondonTiger
prop_lyd
GLove39
George Carlin
EWT Spoons
RuggerRadge2611
justified sinner
TJ
VinceWLB
yappysnap
cakeordeath
BigGee
InjuredYetAgain
funnyExiledScot
Nematode
HongKongCherry
Steffan
tigertattie
R!skysports
Irish Londoner
RDW
45 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

European Rugby Challenge Cup Final - Edinburgh V Gloucester - Page 3 Empty European Rugby Challenge Cup Final - Edinburgh V Gloucester

Post by RDW Mon 20 Apr 2015, 7:43 am

First topic message reminder :

European Rugby Challenge Cup Final - Edinburgh V Gloucester - Page 3 17      European Rugby Challenge Cup Final - Edinburgh V Gloucester - Page 3 2
Edinburgh V Gloucester

Friday 1st May 2015, KO 19:45
The Twickenham Stoop, Twickenham
Live on BT Sport

Referee Jerome Garces (France)
Touch Judge 1 Pascal Gauzere (France)
Touch Judge 2 Mathieu Raynal (France)
Fourth Official Eric Gauzins (France)
TMO Eric Gauzins (France)

Citing Commissioner Yves Thieffine (France)

Route to the final

Edinburgh

UBB 10 - Edinburgh 24
Edinburgh 25 - Lyon 17
Edinburgh 28 - London Welsh 13
London Welsh 6 - Edinburgh 24
Lyon 21 - Edinburgh 19
Edinburgh 38 - UBB 20

London Irish 18 - Edinburgh 23
Edinburgh 45 - Dragons 16

Gloucester

Gloucester 55 - Brive 0
Oyonnax 15 - Gloucester 25
Gloucester 35 - Zebre 10
Zebre 16 - Gloucester 32
Gloucester 33 - Oyonnax 3
Brive 20 - Gloucester 31

Gloucester 14 - Connacht 7
Gloucester 30 - Exeter Chiefs 19

Teams

Edinburgh
European Rugby Challenge Cup Final - Edinburgh V Gloucester - Page 3 Sam+Hidalgo+Clyne+Edinburgh+Rugby+v+London+cwEx-KiqwRkl
Tonks; Fife, Beard, Strauss, Visser; Burleigh, Hidalgo-Clyne; Dickinson, Ford, Nel, Bresler, Toolis, Coman, Grant, Du Preez.

Replacements: McInally, Sutherland, Andress, McKenzie, Watson, Fowles, Heathcote, Brown.

Gloucester
European Rugby Challenge Cup Final - Edinburgh V Gloucester - Page 3 Greig+Laidlaw+qNTjtak2uwVm
Sharples; May, Meakes, Twelvetrees (capt), Purdy; Hook, Laidlaw; Wood, Hibbard, Afoa, Savage, Palmer, Moriarty, Kvesic, Evans.

Replacements: Dawidiuk, Thomas, Puafisi, Galarza, Rowan, Robson, Burns, McColl.

Official Preview
PREVIEW: Will Sam be the man for Edinburgh?
Sam Hidalgo-Clyne has lit up Scottish rugby this season and spearheaded the Edinburgh Rugby march to their first Challenge Cup final.

Three Heineken Man of the Match awards, and a club European record 28 point haul against Bordeaux-Begles at Murrayfield, have showcased his talent this season and he is set to be a key man in their Edinburgh's push for an historic first professional rugby title at Twickenham Stoop.

As his side's main player maker and goalkicker he is bound to be a target for Gloucester Rugby's players on Friday night and the west country club's director of rugby, David Humphreys, is obviously a fan.

"Sam has become one of the superstars of the game. When you look at how he has performed for Edinburgh in Europe this season he has been outstanding," said Humphreys.

But while the Gloucester back row will be on red alert in the final so, too, will be the Edinburgh side as they try to contain their former team mate Greig Laidlaw. The Scotland skipper has been hugely influential for the Kingsholm team since switching allegiance last summer.

With half-back partner James Hook, and front row recruits John Afoa and Richard Hibbard, he has been able to steer Gloucester into the final without losing. In the final they will attempt to do what Peter Buxton's side of 2006 did and go the full nine games unbeaten.

Gloucester's best form has been saved for Europe this season and the tournament is their only lifeline into next seasons Champions Cup. Win it, and they will go into the play-off for the 20th place, something their meagre ninth place in the Premiership won't offer them.

That will give them extra incentive on the night, although Edinburgh will come into the game with great momentum having demolished Zebre and the Dragons in their last two games. Their added incentive is to become the first Scottish team to win a major trophy - and to beat Glasgow Warriors to the punch!

The big battle is going to be in the front five, where both teams have established sound reputations. Gloucester have the best scrum stats in the Premiership for getting the ball back into play, while the introduction of Aussie-born lock Ben Toolis has added power and agility to the Edinburgh pack. Whoever gets on top at scrum time will have a clear advantage.

Richard Hibbard v Ross Ford at hooker will be a key battle, as will the one between Alasdair Dickinson and John Afoa at prop. The Edinburgh back row will have to deal with Matt Kvesic, the tournament's turn-over king, at the breakdown and if they can stop him from being as effective and influential as usual then it will do them a lot of good.

"We know we are going to play against a highly motivated Edinburgh side and will need to play at our very best to win. We need our international players to stand up and give us international class performances," added Humphreys.

The last time Gloucester reached the Challenge Cup final they needed extra-time to overcome London Irish. That was nine years ago and their last trophy came in 2011 when they won the Anglo-Welsh Cup.

Edinburgh have yet to win a trophy in the professional era, other than the 1872 Cup played for annually between themselves and arch-rivals Glasgow Warriors, and one of the big questions for them to answer at the Twickenham Stoop will be how will they cope with the pressure of the major occasion.

When they met in the European Cup pool stages last season they ended up with an away win each. Who will be the winner on the road this time with a major trophy at stake? It's too tight to call!

Match Facts
•Edinburgh are the first Scottish club to reach a European final while Gloucester - the 2006 champions - will be in appearing in their second decider.
•The competition has been won by an English club on 10 occasions, more than any other nation. French clubs have won the title six times, with Ireland and Wales on one each.
•Gloucester and Edinburgh have never met in the Challenge Cup before, but have played each other four times in Europe's top flight with the Cherry and Whites winning three.
•Gloucester have a 100% record this season and aim to repeat their 2005/06 feat of winning every game on their way to lifting the trophy.
•Edinburgh have the best lineout success (90%) in the competition with Ben Toolis the top lineout winner (44 including steals).
•The two finalists boast the two top scorers in the competition with Greig Laidlaw's 67 points bettered only by Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (91).
•Despite playing the maximum amount of games in this season's Challenge Cup, Gloucester (8) and Edinburgh (11) have conceded fewer tries than any other sides in the competition.
•Matt Kvesic has made the most tackles in the competition completing 97 of his 110 attempts. He has also won the most turnovers (15).
•Of the 370 players who have won the Challenge Cup, 131 are English and eight Scottish. The Scottish winners are: Joe Ansbro (Northampton Saints 2009), Craig Chalmers (Harlequins 2001), Scott Gray (Northampton Saints 2009), Kenny Logan (Wasps 2003), Euan Murray (Northampton Saints 2009), Bryan Redpath (Sale Sharks 2002, 2005), Tom Smith (Northampton Saints 2009), Barry Stewart (Sale Sharks 2005).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

European Rugby Challenge Cup Final - Edinburgh V Gloucester - Page 3 Empty Re: European Rugby Challenge Cup Final - Edinburgh V Gloucester

Post by RDW Wed 29 Apr 2015, 12:28 pm

Nematode wrote:Anyone think Hart has been hard done by? He was playing really quite well when SHC was away  with Scotland, equally well as Fowels at least.

Agreed. I don't hold the same disparaging opinion of Fowles as I do of Te Rure, but I'm yet to be convinced that he is going to be a good long term signing. He's not done much wrong, he's just been pretty average in everything he's done so far. It takes a while to get up to speed though, and he is still young, so let's see how he does with his 1 year deal.

Hart definitely has something about him though - he's quite a physical 9 and gives a lot of go forward. I'm disappointed that he's gone to Glasgow and I can't see why we were happy for him to go, unless he wanted to leave...

I think Hart would make more of an impact off the bench than Fowles, but given he's not been in a squad for several weeks now I can't see him being involved.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

European Rugby Challenge Cup Final - Edinburgh V Gloucester - Page 3 Empty Re: European Rugby Challenge Cup Final - Edinburgh V Gloucester

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 29 Apr 2015, 12:41 pm

Agreed and said so when we sold Hart to the dodgers of soap - we should have fobbed them off with Fowles or Kennedy, or perhaps given them Strauss (not the good one) with the promise that he has secretly been converted to a scrum half.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 29 Apr 2015, 12:49 pm

That is a thing with Solly, once you are heading off, he does not really want to know you. He did the same thing with the players that were leaving last year. He will only play them if he has no other options.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 29 Apr 2015, 1:17 pm

BigGee wrote:That is a thing with Solly, once you are heading off, he does not really want to know you. He did the same thing with the players that were leaving last year. He will only play them if he has no other options.

I have some sympathy with that approach, although given recent performances it's a shame he hasn't done it with Visser!

The Soap Dodgers can't really take that approach. They'd struggle to get 15 blokes on the pitch for the end of the season!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Wed 29 Apr 2015, 1:23 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Agreed and said so when we sold Hart to the dodgers of soap - we should have fobbed them off with Fowles or Kennedy, or perhaps given them Strauss (not the good one) with the promise that he has secretly been converted to a scrum half.

I don't think it was a case of Edinburgh not wanting him, I see it as a tactical switch. Given Edinburgh's rotation policy (i.e none) and Toonies (spin of the wheel) there is going to be a lot more game time. Why have your 2nd/3rd best scrum half stuck behind the 1st choice getting next to zero game time.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 29 Apr 2015, 1:28 pm

cakeordeath wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Agreed and said so when we sold Hart to the dodgers of soap - we should have fobbed them off with Fowles or Kennedy, or perhaps given them Strauss (not the good one) with the promise that he has secretly been converted to a scrum half.

I don't think it was a case of Edinburgh not wanting him, I see it as a tactical switch. Given Edinburgh's rotation policy (i.e none) and Toonies (spin of the wheel) there is going to be a lot more game time. Why have your 2nd/3rd best scrum half stuck behind the 1st choice getting next to zero game time.

It's a good argument, but my priority is Edinburgh and from an Edinburgh perspective we are worse off with Fowles than with Hart, so why let him go?

It's not that I don't care about Glasgow at all, just not very much....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 29 Apr 2015, 2:26 pm

I think you've got to remember Kennedy played well at the start of the season and SHC is playing very well now.

Given Glasgow will really only have Pyrgos in terms of Scotland/A capped players, it does make sense to have 2:2 in terms of players that could realistically play for Scotland.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Wed 29 Apr 2015, 5:40 pm

The funny thing about Hart when he was doing the commentary on the Garlic TV channel was be didn't know whether to call Edinburgh, the boys, us, them, we or Edinburgh. He tied himsf in knots by the end.
LT - lord have mercy but I had forgotten about Hook. Our backs really don't match up man for man too well. If Glaws get parity in the forwards, I am concerned about what their backs are capable of subject, of course, to Greg Laiaw moving quicker than coastal erosion

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed 29 Apr 2015, 6:33 pm

Wouldn't it just be bloody typical if this is the game that Laidlaw (re)discovers his attacking mojo & stops with the aimless box kicks & hour long ruck seminars.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Wed 29 Apr 2015, 6:51 pm

Don't think all of this has been posted on the ER official site, but some more info on the fanzone for those who didn't get the email.

Travel to the Supporters' Village
Richmond Station is accessible by overground (South West Trains from London Waterloo & Clapham Junction) and London Underground (from Victoria & Earl's Court) then it's a short walk (6 mins) to The Athletic Ground (see map).

Travel from Supporters' Village to Twickenham (from 6pm)
Overground trains (journey time 4 minutes) depart from Richmond Station at 6.29, 6.33, 6.36, 6.48, 6.53, 7.03, 7.06, 7.12. A single ticket costs £2.90 (return £5.10). To walk from the Supporters' Village to Twickenham Stoop (2.2 miles) takes approx 45 minutes.

Travel from Twickenham Station to Twickenham Stoop
If you would like to join the London Scottish piper on the walk from the Station to the Stoop, please meet outside Twickenham Station at 6.40pm. The Stoop is a 1 mile walk from the Station, taking approx 20 minutes.

Post match transport
Overground trains from Twickenham Station run approx every 10 minutes to Richmond, Clapham Junction and London Waterloo with the last train to London Waterloo via Richmond and Clapham Junction at 00:11.

Piper and everything. Very Happy

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 29 Apr 2015, 7:14 pm

GLove39 wrote:Wouldn't it just be bloody typical if this is the game that Laidlaw (re)discovers his attacking mojo & stops with the aimless box kicks & hour long ruck seminars.

In the black comedy that is Scottish rugby, it would be a fittingly ironic twist.

I'm looking forward to this game most of all. I like Clermont and hope they win, but the recent Cup finals in the main event have been dull, risk-free affairs and the prospect of watching Toulon win another title isn't appealing.

So I'm actually #BlackForADay and will be strongly behind the MFL! Really, really, really hope they win.

Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 30 Apr 2015, 6:16 am

Its a close call between Laidlaw and Kvesic as to who has been Glaws' best player this season, but either way Laidlaw has been excellent. His speed of pass and game management is far beyond anything we've had in recent years and he is developing a good understanding with Hook. So whilst he may have had a poor 6N for Scotland I think you'll see a different player tomorrow night.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 30 Apr 2015, 6:41 am

I'm.expecting a big performance from Laidlaw, but it all comes down to which pack comes on top. Very hard for either 9 to shine if their pack is going backwards!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 30 Apr 2015, 8:01 am

Is it an oversimplification to say that there are 2 real questions here?:

1 Can the Cherries cope with the Edinburgh pack?
2 Can Edinburgh cope with the Gloucester backline?

For what it's worth, I think that answers are 'possibly, yes' and 'no'.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Thu 30 Apr 2015, 8:09 am

I'm a bit worried about reading this in the Hootsman from yesterday:

“Learning from Greig, especially in the Six Nations, has helped me greatly,” he insists “And I’m taking that into my game now. The knowledge of his game is huge. For example, he knows exactly when a winger is in and he can put it over the corner. His game management is brilliant.

“I want to adapt that into my game, with the speed of my game, learning how to control a game like he can. At the start of the season, I was a bit erratic – a lot of pace, but there was no control of the game.

“Now I want to bring in his side to it, where I can slow things down, control things, manage people and make my forwards feel relaxed around me.”

Is Laidlaw ruining H-C? Less pace, more box kicking Rolling Eyes

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 30 Apr 2015, 8:22 am

When Laidlaw is playing well he is a great 9 - remember the Hogg try vs Argentina? Or the Visser try vs Canada - the work of Laidlaw.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 30 Apr 2015, 8:27 am

He is a strange one Laidlaw because there is no doubting he is an excellent 9 - as Gloucester fans are seeing this season and Scotland fans saw in the AIs - but he seems to go through some games just being so slow and laboured, with aimless box kicking as we saw in the 6N.

He also almost single handedly won Edinburgh a lot of games in his time too.

Maybe were are being harsh on him - is he being asked to do that by coaches?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 30 Apr 2015, 8:27 am

At their very best, Gloucester can be very hard to handle. thing is we see that not so often this season. Mind destroyed us in the first 40 minutes at Kingsholm.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 30 Apr 2015, 9:31 am

Given how our season has gone as we were dire against Newcastle we'll play well tomorrow... well for at least 40 minutes!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu 30 Apr 2015, 11:02 am

Teams up!
Du Preez to start, big call.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 30 Apr 2015, 11:24 am

Edinburgh Rugby v Gloucester, European Rugby Challenge Cup Final, Twickenham Stoop, Friday 1 May, kick-off 7.45pm

15 Greig Tonks

14 Dougie Fife

13 Sam Beard

12 Andries Strauss

11 Tim Visser

10 Phil Burleigh

9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne

1 Alasdair Dickinson

2 Ross Ford

3 WP Nel

4 Anton Bresler

5 Ben Toolis

6 Mike Coman

7 Roddy Grant

8 Cornell Du Preez

Substitutes

16 Stuart McInally

17 Rory Sutherland

18 John Andress

19 Fraser McKenzie

20 Hamish Watson

21 Nathan Fowles

22 Tom Heathcote

23 Tom Brown

Very bold call on Du Preez - Solomons obviously thinks he's up to it though.

That is a very physical pack! I don't see Edinburgh's tactics being overly subtle.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 30 Apr 2015, 11:28 am

Very much as expected, no surprises. I wondered whether Brown would start at 15 ahead of Tonks, but Tonks is better defensively plus has a massive boot to relieve the pressure, so I can see the sense.

Edinburgh will ramp up the physicality and pray that it's enough to draw errors/points from Glaws, whilst hoping that May, Sharples et al don't rip us to shreds!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 30 Apr 2015, 11:28 am

Gloucester Rugby:
Charlie Sharples; Jonny May, Bill Meakes, Billy Twelvetrees (capt), Henry Purdy; James Hook, Greig Laidlaw; Nick Wood, Richard Hibbard, John Afoa; Tom Savage, Tom Palmer; Ross Moriarty, Matt Kvesic, Gareth Evans

Replacements:
Darren Dawidiuk, Yann Thomas, Sila Puafisi, Mariano Galarza, Jacob Rowan, Dan Robson, Billy Burns, Steve McColl

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu 30 Apr 2015, 12:11 pm

If only Glasgow had been in this final we could've had a Holmes v Moriarty battle on the flanks!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 30 Apr 2015, 12:27 pm

Going to be a tough battle.

I kinda fear the Gloucester backline might have too much pace, but Strauss & Beard are normally strong on defence.

Huge test of Edinburgh's progress.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 30 Apr 2015, 12:31 pm

Looking at the line ups of the 2 teams I think it will be a very close game and will be a 50/50 game.
I do think the Edinburgh pack looks slightly stronger than Gloucester's especially the front five. Hopefully Edinburgh can bring the same physical game they used against the Dragons to over power Gloucester.
The backs are fairly evenly balanced as well. Gloucester possibly have a little more pace in the backs but the way the Edinburgh defence has performed it will be tough to find space to use that pace.
Impact from the bench is very important these days and can decide a match.
Again I think Edinburgh edge the bench impact with guys like McInally, Sutherland, McKenzie and Watson to come on.
Fingers crossed for a good game and more importantly an Edinburgh win.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 30 Apr 2015, 1:20 pm

That's the most brutual pack Edinburgh could have put out. Also a strong set of forward replacements, albeit that we know Solly won't use them unless compelled by the more dire of injuries.

Kudos to the Ginger Midget for shading a starting berth although I would absolutely love to see Watson and Kvesic going at it - 2 star opensides of the future.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 30 Apr 2015, 1:35 pm

Don't know much about the Gloucester bench - what are they like?

Edinburgh's forwards replacements are very strong, the backs not so much!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 30 Apr 2015, 1:48 pm

The Gloucester bench is pretty average. Galarza has been capped by Argentina but isn't a regular. Dan Robson is a decent scrum half. Pretty pacey and has been used as a good impact sub for Laidlaw, think he is off to Wasps next season. Billy Burns is pretty young(younger brother of Freddie) Seems a decent player but probably not as good as his brother. Steve McColl is the Scottish full back, was an Edinburgh EDP about 6 years ago and was talked very highly off but was then cut. Seems to have had a mixed season for Gloucester, big unit with a good turn of pace and a massive boot. The rest of their subs I know nothing about.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 30 Apr 2015, 2:01 pm

Galarza has been injured all season until 5 weeks ago and was signed as a starting lock. He was outstanding against Exeter and its a big call to not start him. He and Robson are the beat 2 subs we have.

Much has been said about Edinburgh's pack being stronger but I do think some people will be surprised by Glaws. As of March we had the 3rd most effective scrum in the Jeff. Our lineout is working well and we're really capable of getting a maul rolling. Our biggest weakness is defending the maul, so it'll be interesting to see if Edinburgh have clocked that.

It should be a close game. The weather should create some open rugby but could our 100% record of winning Challenge Cup finals at The Stoop swing it for us! Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 30 Apr 2015, 2:04 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:Galarza has been injured all season until 5 weeks ago and was signed as a starting lock. He was outstanding against Exeter and its a big call to not start him. He and Robson are the beat 2 subs we have.

Much has been said about Edinburgh's pack being stronger but I do think some people will be surprised by Glaws. As of March we had the 3rd most effective scrum in the Jeff.  Our lineout is working well and we're really capable of getting a maul rolling. Our biggest weakness is defending the maul, so it'll be interesting to see if Edinburgh have clocked that.

It should be a close game. The weather should create some open rugby but could our 100% record of winning Challenge Cup finals at The Stoop swing it for us! Wink

Edinburgh will have noticed Gloucester's performance in the Semis so I'm sure they won't be taking the pack lightly.

As for the rolling maul, we literally set one up every lineout against Zebre last week, and scored 4 tries from it - I'm fairly sure it is going to be a big tactic of ours!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Thu 30 Apr 2015, 3:11 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:Galarza has been injured all season until 5 weeks ago and was signed as a starting lock. He was outstanding against Exeter and its a big call to not start him. He and Robson are the beat 2 subs we have.

Much has been said about Edinburgh's pack being stronger but I do think some people will be surprised by Glaws. As of March we had the 3rd most effective scrum in the Jeff.  Our lineout is working well and we're really capable of getting a maul rolling. Our biggest weakness is defending the maul, so it'll be interesting to see if Edinburgh have clocked that.

Your scrum was under the cosh against Connacht all game long though, and Edinburgh's scrum is even stronger than Connacht's so i wouldn't be surprised to see the highly paid Afoa getting a bit of a pasting once again.

I am fairly happy with that Edinburgh team, think the gameplan from both teams will be pretty straightforward and it will come down to how well each teams execute it on the day. Anyway should be a great contest. Ale

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Fri 01 May 2015, 6:08 am

Right game day.

Shower
Pack
Train
Tube
Hotel
Beer
Game - not long to go!

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 01 May 2015, 6:37 am

Stupidly excited European Rugby Challenge Cup Final - Edinburgh V Gloucester - Page 3 3933776953

Enjoy the game everyone, it should be one hell of a battle OK
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Fri 01 May 2015, 7:27 am

Cannot wait!! Hour and half to go in work then in the car following the rest of the town down! Wonder if anyone will remember to shut the door if they're the last out of gloucester?!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 01 May 2015, 7:58 am

Braveheart

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 01 May 2015, 8:31 am

My 2 pence worth:

Edinburghs pack vs Gloucesters backs

Edinburgh are going to need to play territory but the ball must go out of play when clearing the lines.  If Sharples and May are given the ball to run at/through/around Visser, then we'll be in trouble.

Going to need to drag Glaws into an arm wrestle
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 01 May 2015, 8:33 am

Plenty Edinburgh shirts in the airport - Jason White too!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Fri 01 May 2015, 8:44 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Plenty Edinburgh shirts in the airport - Jason White too!

Wonder if he is going down as a supporter or for work. Think he works for Rowen Shephards sports agency now Red Sky Management.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 01 May 2015, 8:50 am

Majestic83 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Plenty Edinburgh shirts in the airport - Jason White too!

Wonder if he is going down as a supporter or for work. Think he works for Rowen Shephards sports agency now Red Sky Management.

Whatever he's doing, I always seem to bump into him in the airport! Well not physically of course, then I'd be dead...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 01 May 2015, 9:39 am

Jason White had a fight with Chuck norris once!

Chuck norris can't rememeber it though coz Jason KO'd him!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 01 May 2015, 9:54 am

I'm working from home before heading off this afternoon. It is deathly silent in Glaws with tumbleweeds blowing down the street; we shall be there in force! Very Happy
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 01 May 2015, 10:18 am

Am upset not to be going. The only good thing is that Edinburgh will be making loads more Cup Finals in the future so I can go to those.....

Enjoy the day those lucky folk making it down, and I do hope Bresler and Co don't embarass Glaws too badly.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 01 May 2015, 10:23 am

tigertattie wrote:Jason White had a fight with Chuck norris once!

I think it went something like this:

http://www.rugbydump.com/2008/03/399/jason-white-smothering-hit-on-paul-sackey

I seem to remember thinking this tackle effectively won us the game.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 01 May 2015, 11:49 am

Right, time to head off and join the swathe of cherry and white heading down the M4. Hopefully the game lives up to the level of expectation...

As a Glaws fan I have had some very painful cup final experiences, so I really don't need another to help build my character!

Enjoy the game everyone and c'mon Glaws!!!!!!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 01 May 2015, 12:02 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:I'm working from home before heading off this afternoon. It is deathly silent in Glaws with tumbleweeds blowing down the street; we shall be there in force! Very Happy

That sounds like a typical MFL home crowd then. Tumbleweed

All posters going to the match, even those who exfoliate regularly, ENJOY. RedWine guinness Whisky

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 01 May 2015, 12:10 pm

des wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Jason White had a fight with Chuck norris once!

I think it went something like this:

http://www.rugbydump.com/2008/03/399/jason-white-smothering-hit-on-paul-sackey

I seem to remember thinking this tackle effectively won us the game.

He'd probably get penalised for not rolling away these days.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Fri 01 May 2015, 3:45 pm

I am chuffing nervous as hell not helped by the fact that it has just occurred to me that Edinburgh play so few really meaningful games the players may freeze. Glaws probably have the edge in this area.
To me the whole game revolves round the forwards. If Glaws get parity, their backs are just too good. OK, ours can tackle but eventually someone is going to fall off a tackle. I am not convinced we would have the firepower to come back from two scores down.
In any event, let's hope both teams do themselves justice and may the best team win.
Gentlemen, start your engines!!!

Last edited by InjuredYetAgain on Fri 01 May 2015, 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 01 May 2015, 3:48 pm

jimbopip wrote:
HongKongCherry wrote:I'm working from home before heading off this afternoon. It is deathly silent in Glaws with tumbleweeds blowing down the street; we shall be there in force! Very Happy

That sounds like a typical MFL home crowd then. Tumbleweed

All posters going to the match, even those who exfoliate regularly, ENJOY. RedWine guinness Whisky

It must be nice for you Weegies to enjoy some of the reflected glow of Edinburgh's European success. One day you will reach a knock-out European game, or even a final perhaps, and have a similar day out in the sun...... Wink

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 01 May 2015, 3:51 pm

Edinburgh fans significantly outnumbering Gloucester fans in the Richmond boozers so far!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next