The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ERCC Bosses Fear half Empty Stadium

+24
Standulstermen
jimbopip
Welly
GLove39
The Saint
Welshmushroom
whocares
ME-109
the-goon
MichaelT
RuggerRadge2611
LondonTiger
shuren34
offload
LeinsterFan4life
Notch
SecretFly
VinceWLB
TG
Cyril
Sin é
George Carlin
Pot Hale
yappysnap
28 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

ERCC Bosses Fear half Empty Stadium - Page 2 Empty ERCC Bosses Fear half Empty Stadium

Post by yappysnap Tue 21 Apr 2015, 2:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Stolen from another sight:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/apr/20/european-champions-cup-empty-twickenham-final

Not good at all if there are only 40,000 fans. Especially if only 8,000 are fans of those clubs.

"Organisers fear there may be 40,000 empty seats when Clermont Auvergne and Toulon contest the European Champions Cup final at Twickenham on Saturday week. The 82,000-capacity stadium is set to be half empty for the first final since the old Heineken Cup was mothballed last year.

Despite the presence of two French clubs, it is understood no more than 8,000 supporters are planning to travel to London for the final. The defending champions, Toulon, have already returned 40% of their ticket allocation and Clermont have been allocated only 5,000 tickets. To date barely 30,000 tickets have been sold for the showpiece fixture."

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

ERCC Bosses Fear half Empty Stadium - Page 2 Empty Re: ERCC Bosses Fear half Empty Stadium

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Apr 2015, 7:23 am

No, he meant what he meant Wink It was a kick back......

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

ERCC Bosses Fear half Empty Stadium - Page 2 Empty Re: ERCC Bosses Fear half Empty Stadium

Post by shuren34 Wed 22 Apr 2015, 7:43 am

SecretFly wrote:
shuren34 wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
shuren34 wrote:

Finally: ban us! We don't care, we don't need the Champions Cup to survive. In fact we could at least develop more our top 14 and have 16 or 18 teams. Yahoo

You certainly could, Shuren!!!  And maybe use three more French players to do it Wink  Ban the French I say for being bad channel crossers on ferries.  You can't have sea-sick prone people in European Rugby Competitions!!!  It's unsavoury.  It's counter-market values!

Like I said ban us! I would be the happiest man on earth. Unfortunately each time our clubs want to walk out, your Unions go crying to our Union, and ask it to stop us because your professional rugby would be in danger. We could survive and prosper without you. Finally if that happens, in less than two years you would beg to the english clubs to create a british league.

It's your Union that's struggling under the burden of your own League, shuren.   Cool

I think it's maybe them that asked us to keep the pressure on.  "Please don't leave us alone on our own with these guys!!!  They'll devour us with fava beans and a nice chianti"

Shocked Chianti? furious
How could they ask you to keep the pressure on us, when you have no power on us.

shuren34

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 22 Apr 2015, 7:44 am

LondonTiger wrote:
Notch wrote:The walk to and from Murrayfield is one of the best things about the stadium. As you get closer you're surrounded by fans, loads of colour and atmosphere, people in kilts with bag pipes etc.

Not when it is two French teams playing. With very few partisan fans it was a very colourless walk.

Well I would venture that you shouldn't consider that the normal state of affairs for games at Murrayfield. If you up for a test match you'll find it to be a fine venue.

Just don't go to an Edinburgh home game there in the Pro12 Tumbleweed
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by shuren34 Wed 22 Apr 2015, 7:49 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Why would the IRFU beg for a British league? Unless you meant a Britsh and Irish league?
ERCC Bosses Fear half Empty Stadium - Page 2 Base-h10

shuren34

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Apr 2015, 7:55 am

shuren34 wrote:

Shocked Chianti? furious
How could they ask you to keep the pressure on us, when you have no power on us.

Not on you, shuren.... on the idea that Clubs don't rule all of Europe. Wink
The  French Union is feeling very small and insignificant right now in Heartland BigBucks Club Rugby Country.  
I think they feel vulnerable.  
It's always good to have someone that appreciates your concerns - the other Unions in ERCC understand the pressures.  I'm certain the French Union wanted the European Element to continue as much as the IRFU did.

Anyway, gotta go do some bloody work now.  I Hope you realise that a lot of what I say can be very tongue-in-cheek, Shuren. Smile  Just a little fun banter to start the day.  I don't hate the French at all and enjoy playing against them in Club Europe or International Europe.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by shuren34 Wed 22 Apr 2015, 12:29 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Not on you, shuren.... on the idea that Clubs don't rule all of Europe. Wink
The  French Union is feeling very small and insignificant right now in Heartland BigBucks Club Rugby Country.  
I think they feel vulnerable.  
It's always good to have someone that appreciates your concerns - the other Unions in ERCC understand the pressures.  I'm certain the French Union wanted the European Element to continue as much as the IRFU did.

Is the FFR feeling small and insignificant againt our LNR? Certainly. But I don't think it ask your unions for help against our clubs, because legally your unions have not power in France. Only the FFR. On the other side I think your unions feel threatened by our clubs' money and ask the help of our union to stop our club leaving. Of course like Pierre Camou said, it's in FFR's interest to have professional rugby in Ireland, Wales and Scotland. The 6th nations is the goose that lays the golden eggs for FFR. Without real competition, people will stop watching it, and it will lose money.

SecretFly wrote:Anyway, gotta go do some bloody work now.  I Hope you realise that a lot of what I say can be very tongue-in-cheek, Shuren. Smile  Just a little fun banter to start the day.  I don't hate the French at all and enjoy playing against them in Club Europe or International Europe.

I know you were joking. Personnally even if I enjoyed play seeing our clubs against other powerhouse in Europe, I feel we probably couldn't go on like we used to do. I think our two different system are like chalk and cheese to work.
You absolutely need international games to survive and for us they're a burden. Here since the rugby became professional, we have a war with FFR and LNR, people are tired of it. And I think we have reached the point of no return. One of them will have to "die", and it would probably be the FFR. And in the next 10 years the old European Cup would be an old memory.

shuren34

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 22 Apr 2015, 12:49 pm

Given your views Shuren...out of curiosity which team do you follow?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 22 Apr 2015, 12:56 pm

Given the number after his name, it must be MHRC ...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by shuren34 Wed 22 Apr 2015, 1:13 pm

whocares wrote:Given the number after his name, it must be MHRC ...

Yes, but the new name is MHR. Hopefully we will finish 6th.

shuren34

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 22 Apr 2015, 1:22 pm

Montpellier...meh..they come and they go...

Would you have similar views whocares? What would be the prevailing view amongst supporters in France

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by shuren34 Wed 22 Apr 2015, 1:36 pm

ME-109 wrote:

Would you have similar views whocares? What would be the prevailing view amongst supporters in France

No we come and we go with Stade Toulousain. Yahoo
Take that Noves. Very Happy

shuren34

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 22 Apr 2015, 2:20 pm

ME-109 wrote:

The prevailing view is that Montpellier fans are amongst the worst when it comes to booing and other unsportmanship acts. Probably because they are from the soccer kind (the historic local rugby club is Bezier but they aint got the money). Nice city though Smile

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by shuren34 Wed 22 Apr 2015, 2:44 pm

whocares wrote:
ME-109 wrote:

The prevailing view is that Montpellier fans are amongst the worst when it comes to booing and other unsportmanship acts. Probably because they are from the soccer kind (the historic local rugby club is Bezier but they aint got the money). Nice city though Smile[/quote

Shocked laughing
People don't boo in France and particulary the South.
But of course in Paris you have real rugby fans...... Rolling Eyes

shuren34

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 22 Apr 2015, 2:59 pm

It's ok. You are either biaised or never been to the "altrad arena".I accept that.
For sake of good orders, I am from the SW of france , only in the capital for work reasons.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 22 Apr 2015, 3:15 pm

whocares wrote:
ME-109 wrote:

The prevailing view is that Montpellier fans are amongst the worst when it comes to booing and other unsportmanship acts. Probably because they are from the soccer kind (the historic local rugby club is Bezier but they aint got the money). Nice city though Smile

I hear what you are saying...and it is a nice city...having said that I was in Bordeaux (also a nice city) for a rugby game a long time back and the locals did not seem to appreciate Rugby too much in and around the town. Seemed to be more interested in Les Girondins and didnt seem to like Rugby too much

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 22 Apr 2015, 3:16 pm

I figured that the restructure might result in this. Given the likelihood that future finals may very well be all French affairs, I wonder how it will affect the viewing figures on tv as well. I personally probably wont even watch the final as there is no affiliation to any of the teams in the final. Had Leinster made it I might have been interested enough to watch the game. Im sure other fans probably feel the same. Don't get me wrong, if I happen to be in a pub that's got it on then ill watch it regardless but I wouldn't arrange to be out specifically for the event or to even watch it in the house. Its probably not a good thing for European rugby if they become a one nation final for many years to come.

The old HC flourished because of its diversity. I cant help but think McCafferty has broken European Rugby.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 22 Apr 2015, 3:39 pm

Amen...although I will probably watch the final just to see if Clermont choke again.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 22 Apr 2015, 4:54 pm

ME-109 wrote:
whocares wrote:
ME-109 wrote:

I hear what you are saying...and it is a nice city...having said that I was in Bordeaux (also a nice city) for a rugby game a long time back and the locals did not seem to appreciate Rugby too much in and around the town. Seemed to be more interested in Les Girondins and didnt seem to like Rugby too much

Back in the days les Girondins used to be quite a european powerhouse in football. Rugby was amateur and played in the suburbs (mainly Begles). So yes most folks in big urban areas follow football first.
Rugby is more something for average sized towns ie less than 100k population (Toulouse is the exception).

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 22 Apr 2015, 5:22 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:

The old HC flourished because of its diversity.  I cant help but think McCafferty has broken European Rugby.

I don't think that's true, there were all French/English/Irish finals in the past

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 22 Apr 2015, 5:25 pm

yappysnap wrote:
Welshmushroom wrote:

The old HC flourished because of its diversity.  I cant help but think McCafferty has broken European Rugby.

I don't think that's true, there were all French/English/Irish finals in the past

Leaving aside France, wonder what the odds are on that being repeated in the next 5-7 years?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 22 Apr 2015, 6:13 pm

whocares wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
whocares wrote:
ME-109 wrote:

Back in the days les Girondins used to be quite a european powerhouse in football. Rugby was amateur and played in the suburbs (mainly Begles). So yes most folks in big urban areas follow football first.  
Rugby is more something for average sized towns ie less than 100k population (Toulouse is the exception).

Which is the team to follow between La Roche Sur Yon and Nantes? We went there back in 2007 and were absolutely adored by the French in every place we went... For this reason, France will always be a place dear to my heart. I like Paris and Nice too, but there are less French people there than in these towns. Oh and did I mention I went to Corsica last summer? Heard that's where your boy Napoleon is from Wink.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 22 Apr 2015, 6:19 pm

The last few finals have been pretty dull affairs. That and the fact so many English rugby fans will be saving their money for expensive World Cup games later this year can't have helped.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 26 Apr 2015, 10:45 am

They're giving away free tickets to the game now! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=835492249838501 limited to 2 per person plus booking fee.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 26 Apr 2015, 10:46 am

GLove39 wrote:They're giving away free tickets to the game now! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=835492249838501 limited to 2 per person plus booking fee.

Always infuriating if you have payed... you paid £86? Too bad, you're sitting next to a guy who payed a £2 handling fee. A desperate move, but anything for a bit of atmosphere!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 26 Apr 2015, 10:55 am

Notch wrote:
GLove39 wrote:They're giving away free tickets to the game now! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=835492249838501 limited to 2 per person plus booking fee.

Always infuriating if you have payed... you paid £86? Too bad, you're sitting next to a guy who payed a £2 handling fee. A desperate move, but anything for a bit of atmosphere!

Yeah, i'd be raging if I was one of those people.
Tad peed as it is, if I'd known about this I'd have stayed in London for an extra day & popped along.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 26 Apr 2015, 10:55 am

Those who payed tickets full price should ask for a refund lol. Also someone in the comments said he bought 2 tickets but received 3 picard

What a debacle this has been.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 26 Apr 2015, 11:05 am

To think the organisers robbed Italy of their first ever European final for this!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 26 Apr 2015, 11:35 am

Listen boys. Stop moaning. This here's the new way. This is what happens when Real business people take over. None of your shoddy loss making rubbish of the past.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun 26 Apr 2015, 12:23 pm

Pff yall never happy it seems. Just be content that you can still buy tickets in the first place as the ErrCC might one day have a bright ideas such as using fake supporters made out of vinyl or cardboard (http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/fail/160852/italian-club-triestina-fill-stadium-with-fake-vinyl-fans-to-make-it-look-full-on-television.html) or using migrants to fill it (thr quatar way) thumbsup

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 26 Apr 2015, 12:29 pm

Wait until the proper ERCC management team step in next year, it'll be much improved.

Don't forget it's still the old ERC crowd who are responsible for this.

They've already decided to move the final to mid-May next year. And the LNR is going to financially incentivise its clubs to play in the Challenge Cup - imagine that!

Oh and next year's Challenge Cup winner will get a place in the Champion's Cup. The following year, they'll get a chance at a play-off for the 20th spot.

And they definitely will have all 5 sponsors in place by next November.

And they'll have a CEO and Chairman within a couple of months.

By the time, the whole thing comes up for renewal they should have it all sorted out.

Nothing to see here, move along now.......

I'm willing to bet that there'll be at least 52, 763 people attending next week's final, btw. The organisers have seen the title of this thread and are determined to be able to refute it.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 26 Apr 2015, 12:33 pm

whocares wrote:Pff yall never happy it seems. Just be content that you can still buy tickets in the first place as the ErrCC might one day have a bright ideas such as using fake supporters made out of vinyl or cardboard (http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/fail/160852/italian-club-triestina-fill-stadium-with-fake-vinyl-fans-to-make-it-look-full-on-television.html) or using migrants to fill it (thr quatar way) thumbsup

Oh that is a classic. And they generate advertising from it too!!

Look forward to seeing these at a stadium near you soon.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 26 Apr 2015, 12:56 pm

Got 6 tickets now TBH not bad for what should be a big game.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 26 Apr 2015, 1:20 pm

I think I'll start a Fake Fan Mannequin company.  

I'd have moveable ones (battery pack)..... but I'd have levels of 'animation' and the more animation (mad, wildly enthusiastic fans) you want, the bigger the price per batch.

So if you were chasing a big Broadcasting deal and needed to show the companies the kinds of well-up-for-it-die-hard fans that you had in your league, you could hire batches of 50,000 Mad Fake Fans that would wave their hands wildly and jump up and down for 80.   They'd come at £10 each.  So £500,000 per game isn't that expensive when you know you'll pick up a multi-million BT deal. Wink
Of course if BT then needed top paying sponsors, the 50,000 extra Mad fake Fans would cost them a lot more.......Whistle

Don't knock it - it's professionalism.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 26 Apr 2015, 2:14 pm

Welly how did you get 6?
I've just printed my two. Very Happy

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 26 Apr 2015, 7:38 pm

Jesus that is embarrassing

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 7:29 pm

EUROPEAN rugby officials have claimed the free tickets fans were able to pocket for Saturday’s Champions Cup final were given out in error rather than desperation to fill Twickenham.
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/573340/Free-Champions-Cup-final-tickets

That seems about as legit as the Telegraphs 5000 businesses letter...

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by David-Douglas Mon 27 Apr 2015, 7:53 pm

GLove39 wrote:
EUROPEAN rugby officials have claimed the free tickets fans were able to pocket for Saturday’s Champions Cup final were given out in error rather than desperation to fill Twickenham.
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/573340/Free-Champions-Cup-final-tickets

Being that the Champions Cup is a competition involving three leagues does this mean that anyone going to the Top14 or PRO12 play-off finals can have free tickets too?

David-Douglas

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 27 Apr 2015, 7:57 pm

Isn't it even worse if its a mistake? The idea that they just started giving away tickets for their major marquee event completely free by mistake doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that the competition is being run competently- even more than a half-empty stadium does.

This whole thing is turning into a bit of an omnishambles. The good that may come out of it is that the Final may be pushed back closer to it's rightful place at the climax of the season in future years.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 27 Apr 2015, 8:00 pm

David-Douglas wrote:
GLove39 wrote:

Being that the Champions Cup is a competition involving three leagues does this mean that anyone going to the Top14 or PRO12 play-off finals can have free tickets too?

Some leagues are more even than others Wink

Not that I could be enticed make the trip, even though I have tickets for the Pro12 final. Probably true of 99% of fans holding tickets. It's the fact its the AP Final is in the same venue that makes the Premiership fans worth targeting.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Tue 28 Apr 2015, 5:32 am

I wonder which was the "error" - giving the tickets away for free, or getting caught doing it?

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 28 Apr 2015, 5:54 am

I think the 'whistle' (  Whistle ) is reserved for the 'Getting caught doing it'.  

Damage Limitation mode was then initiated.  And as with all Damage Limitation modes entered into by graduates of Damage Limitation Political Science Studies, you can usually spot the gapping lie from a distance equivalent to the moon.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:39 am

If it was an error it was an incredible blunder. Much like the blunder of sending extra free tickets to some fans who purchased online. Someone should be sacked ........
.....if it was an error...

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 28 Apr 2015, 7:55 am

I would be screaming blue murder if I had paid for full price tickets and I hope those that have really kick up one hell of a stink.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue 28 Apr 2015, 8:20 am

Not a good start. Like when they released the photo advert for the final and had clermont v leinster on it.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 28 Apr 2015, 8:22 am

So are they taking the tickets back.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 28 Apr 2015, 8:24 am

gcBlues wrote:Not a good start. Like when they released the photo advert for the final and had clermont v leinster on it.

....that's already with our lawyers..... Wink Using us to promote a game that's been given away for free is bad for our market image mad

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 28 Apr 2015, 8:25 am

Not as far as I am aware but the link has now been taken down, they not saying how many were 'given away by mistake' either.

I certainly wouldn't hand mine back if had one.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 28 Apr 2015, 8:26 am

Welly wrote: So are they taking the tickets back.

That would prove even worse, I'd think.  I guess the freebies get in free.  The ERCC people better hope it's a great classic game and that the payers then forget that they paid and care less.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 28 Apr 2015, 8:28 am

Would you now though pay full whack knowing others have got theirs for scott free.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 28 Apr 2015, 8:31 am

Would you have a choice? They're not going to refund the payers. That's why it's down as an error.... that can be legally defended. But selecting a bunch that pays and then saying no more attenders have to pay, that's less defendable - but I'd seriously think that's what they tried to pull and hoped it wouldn't be noticed. Though how they felt that wouldn't get out is beyond me. Someone obviously panicked when they thought of the marketing v Empty seats. Someone made a rash decision.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next