The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

+22
True Raven
LondonTiger
Shifty
maestegmafia
ScarletSpiderman
dragon999
LordDowlais
Seagultaf
Coleman
wayne
Stone Motif
mikey_dragon
Cardiff Dave
Steffan
bedfordwelsh
GavinDragon
munkian
Luckless Pedestrian
VinceWLB
Dolphin Ziggler
George Carlin
PhilBB
26 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread - Page 8 Empty Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

Post by PhilBB Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

GavinDragon wrote:I don't need to address anything, I am one fan with an opinion the same as you and any other fan.

Sure, but here I am trying to understand your opinion yet, sadly, you won't address a key element of it.

Previously you wrote: "Only sad, narrow minded parochial people stuck in the amateur era mindset would see gwent as something in direct competition to newport." so I wrote a detailed, honest and clear answer as to why that insult is misplaced.

It's misplaced because one club is carrying all of the risk but with only 50% ownership.

Do you think it fair that one club carries all of the financial risk, without total ownership, for a "Gwent" team? Sure, you don't need to address the question but, in all fairness, it will speak volumes if you don't address it.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

Post by Guest Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:18 am

Good on Tovey tonight. I still think he was deliberately set up v Slade tonight so Dorian was protected. Some of what he did tonight, people would be purring over if it wasn't him. Anyway, pleasure to watch that. Wonder what the tombola will chuck out for the Cardiff Blues game now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:18 am

Just saw the result. Well done Dragons!

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:16 pm

Were Pau in the changing room for the first half or what?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:07 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Were Pau in the changing room for the first half or what?

Total Rugby it was Dave, Total Rugby. "They couldn't live with us", according to Lyn. Kapow! Or should that be, Ka-Pau!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:27 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:Were Pau in the changing room for the first half or what?

Total Rugby it was Dave, Total Rugby. "They couldn't live with us", according to Lyn. Kapow! Or should that be, Ka-Pau!

Holland 1974. Sexy!

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:25 am

Lyn the Lip has come out with yet another example of how not to inspire confidence in him as a coach/DoR:

"European Challenge Cup: Lyn Jones cannot explain Dragons success.

Newport Gwent Dragons boss Lyn Jones admits he "hasn't got a clue" why European competition brings the best out of his side.

Dragons have often been the lowest-ranking of Wales' four professional teams.

But they completed a double over French side Pau to finish top of European Challenge Cup Pool Two, having reached last season's semi-finals.

"I haven't got a clue. I just don't know how we do it," said Jones."

How about trying to attribute it to the sheer hard work and determination of the players in training, and the tireless work of the coaches, in trying to improve and grow as a group. Saying he has no clue suggests he doesn't have any confidence in the coaching his team do with the players, the structures in place or any confidence in the players themselves! Sounds like finger in the air stuff to me. At least he could say something like 'the hard work is paying off'.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:16 am

I have for a long time thought that the Jones' boys were the best bet for the Dragons but Lyn just seems to be losing the plot.

Would it work with maybe KJ going up to DoR and then bringing in a coach (not know who) to do KJs job?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:10 pm

Griff and Bedford, when he was with us, he had 2 nicknames, the Lip and Joker, because he used to do too much talking when it wasn't needed, and made Jokes about serious things, I would say going by your performances in RCC 2, things are improving, even though I haven't seen much of it, I've said this before, Lynn is excellent at bringing players through to a certain level, it's when he comes up against the very best he is found wanting, you only need to look at our 2 matches against Saracens about 8 to 10 years ago, we hammered them in the LV semi final at the Millenium and then 2 weeks later we played them in the Heineken Q/F at Vicarage Road in a much more important game, and fair play to Saracens they totally out thought him.
As for weird selections that have been mentioned on these boards, because he was said that he could read a game very well Justin Marshall was selected at FULL BACK for one game when Lee Byrne was injured, a totally ridiculous selection, there were much more suitable players available for that position.
Finally, when he was at Neath before the Ospreys were formed, he was about to resign at one point, when he said he had taken that team as far as he could, so he does have a limit, what I would say, is you appear to be getting better albeit in the European theatre, so something right is going on, as long as Kingsley is doing the main coaching and Lyn is kept well away from that part of your Team, I wouldn't worry too much.
As long as it doesn't improve over the New Year Very Happy

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:50 pm

I'm relatively happy with Lyn at the Dragons. I was very happy with him coming in. In terms of pedigree, and just going from my admittedly poor memory (I need to check the stats), I always thought the Osprey's best/most successful/longest Euro runs were under Lyn, so I think he's a good enough coach at this level. It's just some of these comments - I get the feeling they'd knock the confidence of the players and coaches a bit. Just can't see the point of them. Maybe he's being sarcastic? Who knows.

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:56 pm

I was happy with him coming in. I am happy with the signings he has made. However, I think him letting Darren Edwards go was a mistake and our attacking play has suffered as a result. It makes us boring to watch. I also think, like Griff, that some of his comments in the press are baffling and I do worry it has an impact on the players morale.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:50 pm

Griff wrote:I'm relatively happy with Lyn at the Dragons. I was very happy with him coming in. In terms of pedigree, and just going from my admittedly poor memory (I need to check the stats), I always thought the Osprey's best/most successful/longest Euro runs were under Lyn, so I think he's a good enough coach at this level. It's just some of these comments - I get the feeling they'd knock the confidence of the players and coaches a bit. Just can't see the point of them. Maybe he's being sarcastic? Who knows.
 Yes it was our best run as far as HC was concerned, QF 3 years on the trot, but with the calibre of player we had at the time, we should of done better, with a top quality coach, IMO we would have at least made the final in one year, and don't forget every year we only got in as a best runners up out of the group, on at least one year we should have been top of a pool and secured a home QF, if you keep him in that type of role for at least 3 years, you should have a really good squad, especially if you can get in a few good foreigners and to me you've started well with the likes of Landman and Pretorius.
As I said he does some strange things and he has always done this, you just have to accept it and move on.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:15 pm

Griff wrote:
How about trying to attribute it to the sheer hard work and determination of the players in training, and the tireless work of the coaches, in trying to improve and grow as a group. Saying he has no clue suggests he doesn't have any confidence in the coaching his team do with the players, the structures in place or any confidence in the players themselves! Sounds like finger in the air stuff to me. At least he could say something like 'the hard work is paying off'.

I agree, and if he really doesn't know then you would think a smart person would give a different response, a response that could somehow attribute it to his coaching? What I do agree with however is that unfamiliarity among opponents does give these teams and the competition an extra spark.

Something else that continues to bug me (other than the non-existent backlash for what McBryde has said) is the BBC's amateur journo's:

"But they completed a double over French side Pau to finish top of European Challenge Cup Pool Two, having reached last season's semi-finals."

No it isn't finished. There are another two rounds to go. From another BBC article:

"Clermont Auvergne (21) 42
Tries: Strettle, Lapandry, Lee, Vahaamahina, Davies Pens: Parra 2, Spedding Cons: Parra 3, Lopez

With Waldron still in the sin bin after the break, Lee touched down from a catch and drive, and Vahaamahina then barged his way over for Clermont's fourth try.

Wales centre Davies marked his return from seven months out with a knee injury by crossing over in the corner for the bonus point, after receiving a looping ball over the top from Lopez."

I guess the fifth try is now the bonus point? Seriously BBC, hire some sports journo's that actually watch rugby and know the rules.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:45 pm

Griff wrote:

"I haven't got a clue. I just don't know how we do it. It must be magic!" puffed Dragon Mer-Lyn Jones.

Very Happy

Last edited by Cardiff Dave on Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : magic!)

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:57 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:

"I haven't got a clue. I just don't know how we do it. It must be magic!" puffed Dragon Mer-Lyn Jones.

Very Happy

Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:47 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:

Very Happy

Laugh

Cardiff quotes are the best and there are plenty. You could write a book I reckon.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:59 pm

Griff wrote:Lyn the Lip has come out with yet another example of how not to inspire confidence in him as a coach/DoR:

Newport Gwent Dragons boss Lyn Jones admits he "hasn't got a clue" why European competition brings the best out of his side.

But they completed a double over French side Pau to finish top of European Challenge Cup Pool Two, having reached last season's semi-finals.

It's great to see the Dragons winning but unfortunately their success is probably due to the appalling standard of the Challenge cup which is not much better than the old LV cup. Hopefully they will prove me wrong and start charging up the Pro 12!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:14 pm

I think it's a bit better than the LV. Most teams literally picked kids in the LV games. At least Pau's team on Saturday were mainly first choice I suppose. But I agree that some teams don't take it too seriously. Whatever. Some teams (e.g. The Scarlets now they're out) don't take the Champions Cup seriously so you could say it was easy for the likes of Glasgow in that group on the weekend. The Scarlets seem now to be concentrating on the league. No different to some French teams in the Euro comps. Such is life.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:39 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
Griff wrote:Lyn the Lip has come out with yet another example of how not to inspire confidence in him as a coach/DoR:

It's great to see the Dragons winning but unfortunately their success is probably due to the appalling standard of the Challenge cup which is not much better than the old LV cup. Hopefully they will prove me wrong and start charging up the Pro 12!

Of course - if only we could step up and challenge the top teams in Europe just like the Scarlets... Oh, wait a minute.....

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:16 am

Griff wrote:I'm relatively happy with Lyn at the Dragons. I was very happy with him coming in. In terms of pedigree, and just going from my admittedly poor memory (I need to check the stats), I always thought the Osprey's best/most successful/longest Euro runs were under Lyn, so I think he's a good enough coach at this level. It's just some of these comments - I get the feeling they'd knock the confidence of the players and coaches a bit. Just can't see the point of them. Maybe he's being sarcastic? Who knows.

I'm sure he's joking with some of the things he says, but they're taken seriously because he's so deadpan.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:58 pm

I get a feeling that on this occasion he was being serious. Could be wrong though. But I do think he means that he has no clue why we won. Which worries me!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:18 am

Adam Hughes has been signed back permanently, according to the Argus online. Good news.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:01 am

It is good news, especially as he can cover wing. I was disappointed he left in the first place, he's such a wholehearted player.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:08 am

Without looking it up, he had a good strike rate if memory serves. He's a good foil for a bigger inside centre too, whch offers more options than having two big bashers in the centres. And yes, he's pacy enough to cover wing. I too was disappointed he left. What was the reason? Was he struggling to get in the team or was or the lure of the English prem? Or a bit of both?

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:26 am

I don't remember him struggling for a place. He did have a long spell out injured, as I recall it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:34 am

His form did take a dip, but we were a far worse team back then anyway so he can't really held accountable for any bad results. I think his return was inevitable given how he seems to have started every single game since his return. Dixon and Morgan are still my first choice in the midfield though, and our back 3 options look pretty strong so he won't be a mainstay.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:02 pm

Wonder who'll be announced as shifting East in the Cardiff January sales?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:51 pm

Have you heard anything CD?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Have you heard anything CD?

Slade and Wizard mostly.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:18 pm

Decent

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:00 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Wonder who'll be announced as shifting East in the Cardiff January sales?

No one as comedy as the People's Hobbit, surely. Brainfarts a-go-go at CAP next season, didn't think Wilson was that dull.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:14 am

Dragons are looking at signing Matthew Morgan as well now. Kingsley Jones is declaring the interest from them, and it looks as though a contract will be offered.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:31 am

Stone Motif wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:Wonder who'll be announced as shifting East in the Cardiff January sales?

No one as comedy as the People's Hobbit, surely. Brainfarts a-go-go at CAP next season, didn't think Wilson was that dull.

People's Hobbit?!

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:30 am

Not sure MM would be ideal for us. Henson yes, Morgan no - we've enough rookies in the backline that struggle in defence.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:33 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Not sure MM would be ideal for us. Henson yes, Morgan no - we've enough rookies in the backline that struggle in defence.

Three tries conceded at RP this season Mikey - not struggling that much?

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:37 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Dragons are looking at signing Matthew Morgan as well now. Kingsley Jones is declaring the interest from them, and it looks as though a contract will be offered.

Jeans TF Christ. Please say this is more click bait.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:41 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Dragons are looking at signing Matthew Morgan as well now. Kingsley Jones is declaring the interest from them, and it looks as though a contract will be offered.

Jeans TF Christ. Please say this is more click bait.

Of course it is. I haven't heard a contract will be offered, given that most think he's off to CAP. Thought Dowlais as the new uber Cardiff Blues fan might have known that?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:46 pm

dragon999 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Not sure MM would be ideal for us. Henson yes, Morgan no - we've enough rookies in the backline that struggle in defence.

It's a good stat in effect, but ignores scores away and who we've faced too. Whilst we don't struggle in defence too often, there is some truth to it.

Last edited by Risca Rev on Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:46 pm

Stone Motif wrote:

Naysayer. Very Happy

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:24 pm

dragon999 wrote:

Oh Christ this is desperate.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:00 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
dragon999 wrote:

Oh Christ this is desperate.

Be positive. Always light at the end of the tunnel. STFUMOG!

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:44 pm

STFUMOG you too, Dave!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:47 pm

Griff wrote:STFUMOG you too, Dave!

Charming. Very Happy

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:39 pm

Robin Davey on tw@tter.....

"Derby full houses prove support for Welsh rugby is there, but no appetite for rest of Pro 12. We need A/W lgue with 4 famous clubs in it

2) and by the 4 famous or big clubs in A/W lgue I mean Cardiff, Newport, Swansea, Llanelli. It's pro age and some will miss out-reality"

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:22 pm

"90% or more are from Newport despite every effort to market region. Majority not interested. No Newport support-no team"

13 years later and the argument goes on...and on...and on.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:34 pm

Newport would be bust in a year or two. Tony Brown, the only backer ever to show a really significant interest in Newport (financially), and now just involved in an 'advisory capacity' at the Dragons, is no spring chicken. He won't be frittering away his old age money to keep a pro rugby Newport alive. And why would the WRU support these sides in (I assume) some sort of mutiny? Unless you're suggesting the WRU actually puts this forward as a proposal themselves? Select 4 club sides and bestow on them, and only them, the privilege of ring fenced, pro rugby. Why would they? They're the national governing body for the sport in Wales. That proposal is anti-sport development.

And an Anglo Welsh league? Whoopy do. Seeing the likes of Bath, Gloucester, Exeter, who we see in the LV and Euro comps anyway, fills we with about the same thrill as seeing Leinster or Ulster, just as I'd get the same 'thrill' playing the French week in, week out. I.e. Not a lot. We'd be swapping foreign opponents for foreign opponents. Big deal. You reckon the turnstiles would be doing double time to see the English sides each week? You're in dreamland.

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:35 pm

Cmon now Dave, whats your Twitter handle?

And yes that thread has had close to 100 responses.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:40 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Cmon now Dave, whats your Twitter handle?

And yes that thread has had close to 100 responses.

I don't do tw@tter mate. I only read it.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:40 pm

Think the AW league is the way to go. But let each team market themselves as they see fit.

There is not a chance in hell the hairspreys are going to revert to Swansea.

The Blues, at the behest of the vocal gentry on Twitter, dare not refer to themselves as anything other than Cardiff Blues. So in reality they are already a club.

Scarlets are the same.

The only team where there is still debate is the Dragons and that is because we have the club who pays for it and the region receives money from the WRU to represent in the name. I don't think the business would fold if it reverted to just Newport. But I don't think it would attract any additional investment or significant support if everything else remained the same (i.e lack of investment in the playing squad, terrible coaching/gameplan, no success and a poor league)

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:41 pm

But you must had an account to read it?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:42 pm

Griff wrote:Newport would be bust in a year or two. Tony Brown, the only backer ever to show a really significant interest in Newport (financially), and now just involved in an 'advisory capacity' at the Dragons, is no spring chicken. He won't be frittering away his old age money to keep a pro rugby Newport alive. And why would the WRU support these sides in (I assume) some sort of mutiny? Unless you're suggesting the WRU actually puts this forward as a proposal themselves? Select 4 club sides and bestow on them, and only them, the privilege of ring fenced, pro rugby. Why would they? They're the national governing body for the sport in Wales. That proposal is anti-sport development.

And an Anglo Welsh league? Whoopy do. Seeing the likes of Bath, Gloucester, Exeter, who we see in the LV and Euro comps anyway, fills we with about the same thrill as seeing Leinster or Ulster, just as I'd get the same 'thrill' playing the French week in, week out. I.e. Not a lot. We'd be swapping foreign opponents for foreign opponents. Big deal. You reckon the turnstiles would be doing double time to see the English sides each week? You're in dreamland.

I'm not suggesting anything Griff. Just find it sad and mad that the old arguments continue.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next