The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

+22
True Raven
LondonTiger
Shifty
maestegmafia
ScarletSpiderman
dragon999
LordDowlais
Seagultaf
Coleman
wayne
Stone Motif
mikey_dragon
Cardiff Dave
Steffan
bedfordwelsh
GavinDragon
munkian
Luckless Pedestrian
VinceWLB
Dolphin Ziggler
George Carlin
PhilBB
26 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread - Page 9 Empty Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

Post by PhilBB Fri 21 Aug 2015, 9:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

GavinDragon wrote:I don't need to address anything, I am one fan with an opinion the same as you and any other fan.

Sure, but here I am trying to understand your opinion yet, sadly, you won't address a key element of it.

Previously you wrote: "Only sad, narrow minded parochial people stuck in the amateur era mindset would see gwent as something in direct competition to newport." so I wrote a detailed, honest and clear answer as to why that insult is misplaced.

It's misplaced because one club is carrying all of the risk but with only 50% ownership.

Do you think it fair that one club carries all of the financial risk, without total ownership, for a "Gwent" team? Sure, you don't need to address the question but, in all fairness, it will speak volumes if you don't address it.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Gwent Dragons 2015/16 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 02 Jan 2016, 8:44 pm

GavinDragon wrote:But you must had an account to read it?

No. Never had a tw@tter account.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Jan 2016, 8:45 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:Newport would be bust in a year or two. Tony Brown, the only backer ever to show a really significant interest in Newport (financially), and now just involved in an 'advisory capacity' at the Dragons, is no spring chicken. He won't be frittering away his old age money to keep a pro rugby Newport alive. And why would the WRU support these sides in (I assume) some sort of mutiny? Unless you're suggesting the WRU actually puts this forward as a proposal themselves? Select 4 club sides and bestow on them, and only them, the privilege of ring fenced, pro rugby. Why would they? They're the national governing body for the sport in Wales. That proposal is anti-sport development.

And an Anglo Welsh league? Whoopy do. Seeing the likes of Bath, Gloucester, Exeter, who we see in the LV and Euro comps anyway, fills we with about the same thrill as seeing Leinster or Ulster, just as I'd get the same 'thrill' playing the French week in, week out. I.e. Not a lot. We'd be swapping foreign opponents for foreign opponents. Big deal. You reckon the turnstiles would be doing double time to see the English sides each week? You're in dreamland.

I'm not suggesting anything Griff. Just find it sad and mad that the old arguments continue.

I expect you tut and sigh when they award 5 points for a try and allow lifting in the lineout too! Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 02 Jan 2016, 8:47 pm

or that the hooker now throws in, or that you're no longer allowed to ruck with your feet. Or that backs are now as big as forwards

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 02 Jan 2016, 8:53 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:Newport would be bust in a year or two. Tony Brown, the only backer ever to show a really significant interest in Newport (financially), and now just involved in an 'advisory capacity' at the Dragons, is no spring chicken. He won't be frittering away his old age money to keep a pro rugby Newport alive. And why would the WRU support these sides in (I assume) some sort of mutiny? Unless you're suggesting the WRU actually puts this forward as a proposal themselves? Select 4 club sides and bestow on them, and only them, the privilege of ring fenced, pro rugby. Why would they? They're the national governing body for the sport in Wales. That proposal is anti-sport development.

And an Anglo Welsh league? Whoopy do. Seeing the likes of Bath, Gloucester, Exeter, who we see in the LV and Euro comps anyway, fills we with about the same thrill as seeing Leinster or Ulster, just as I'd get the same 'thrill' playing the French week in, week out. I.e. Not a lot. We'd be swapping foreign opponents for foreign opponents. Big deal. You reckon the turnstiles would be doing double time to see the English sides each week? You're in dreamland.

I'm not suggesting anything Griff. Just find it sad and mad that the old arguments continue.

I expect you tut and sigh when they award 5 points for a try and allow lifting in the lineout too! Whistle

What I would like is for you to have what's best for your team, whatever that maybe. That would put pressure on my team to be better than yours.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 02 Jan 2016, 8:57 pm

In fairness you have two other teams in Wales who are better than you at present. Aim for them.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 02 Jan 2016, 9:08 pm

GavinDragon wrote:In fairness you have two other teams in Wales who are better than you at present. Aim for them.

The same goes for them too.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 02 Jan 2016, 9:17 pm

GavinDragon wrote:or that the hooker now throws in, or that you're no longer allowed to ruck with your feet. Or that backs are now as big as forwards

Cotton jerseys with collars? Not quite an old git yet, but not far off.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Jan 2016, 10:36 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

What I would like is for you to have what's best for your team, whatever that maybe. That would put pressure on my team to be better than yours.

But not regional rugby, right?

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:10 pm

I do find the Cardiff fans amusing. They berate us Dragons fans who prefer or support because of the Gwent element. They wish we would just be Newport so their club status is more legitimate while also berating the Ospreys for calling themselves the one true region. Shewerley it couldnt be because this marketing actually works and means that more valley fans would support them over Cardiff

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:24 pm

Griff wrote:

Uh, you're the one in dream land if you think access to the TV and digital revenues English pro rugby is able to generate a would not be an absolute game changer for the pro teams in Wales.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:28 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Think the AW league is the way to go. But let each team market themselves as they see fit.

There is not a chance in hell the hairspreys are going to revert to Swansea.

The Blues, at the behest of the vocal gentry on Twitter, dare not refer to themselves as anything other than Cardiff Blues. So in reality they are already a club.

Scarlets are the same.

The only team where there is still debate is the Dragons and that is because we have the club who pays for it and the region receives money from the WRU to represent in the name. I don't think the business would fold if it reverted to just Newport. But I don't think it would attract any additional investment or significant support if everything else remained the same (i.e lack of investment in the playing squad, terrible coaching/gameplan, no success and a poor league)

Newport has a fantastic record for attracting investment though. The Council alone must have brought in over £200m in the last five years.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:31 pm

Yes into Friars Walk and other projects. Investments which bring returns and money. INvesting in any professional sports business does not gain you a return.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:33 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

But not regional rugby, right?

Well, the last decade plus of that particular experiment doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. ...
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:36 pm

The last decade? You mean 05 onwards? When our directors stopped investing in the team. Our results suffered and we entered the malaise we are currently in?

We finished third in inaugural season and were in with a chance of winning the league on final day.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:40 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Yes into Friars Walk and other projects. Investments which bring returns and money. INvesting in any professional sports business does not gain you a return.

The only return they will see is in knock on socio-economic benefits such as job creation. Arguably you could realise similar benefits by investing in sport. They've already done it twice in recent memory after all.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:42 pm

GavinDragon wrote:The last decade? You mean 05 onwards? When our directors stopped investing in the team. Our results suffered and we entered the malaise we are currently in?

We finished third in inaugural season and were in with a chance of winning the league on final day.

So it's all about level of investment then, rather than how inclusive we can be.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:43 pm

GavinDragon wrote:I do find the Cardiff fans amusing. They berate us Dragons fans who prefer or support because of the Gwent element. They wish we would just be Newport so their club status is more legitimate while also berating the Ospreys for calling themselves the one true region. Shewerley it couldnt be because this marketing actually works and means that more valley fans would support them over Cardiff

Dowlaisesque
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat 02 Jan 2016, 11:57 pm

Very shallow analysis I agree, and completely subjective but I do find it strange why so many non-spreys fans are annoyed by the OTR slogan

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Jan 2016, 9:45 am

Stone Motif wrote:
Griff wrote:

Uh, you're the one in dream land if you think access to the TV and digital revenues English pro rugby is able to generate a would not be an absolute game changer for the pro teams in Wales.

And you're in dreamland if you think it will happen. You seem to have an overinflated opinion of the standing our clubs outside of Wales. We're not an attractive proposition to the English. The English public do not want to watch Welsh teams. They currently get to watch a premiership with 12 English teams. Why would they water that down with a bunch of teams from Wales, teams that can't cut it in the Pro 12? The English won't got for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 03 Jan 2016, 3:36 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Think the AW league is the way to go. But let each team market themselves as they see fit.

The Blues, at the behest of the vocal gentry on Twitter, dare not refer to themselves as anything other than Cardiff Blues. So in reality they are already a club.

Scarlets are the same.

You are the 1st Dragons fan i hear spouting such nonsense. You should be focusing on the Dragons and look where they are right now as Zebre have overtaken you in the league and it doesn't look like you are going to catch the much improved Blues anytime soon.

For years you have been similar to Connacht and look where they are right now with only 1 or 2 Irish internationals, you should be aspiring to do the same and find what's wrong within the team instead of moaning about things you don't have control over.

This is posts like yours which have been holding Welsh regions back for years.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 03 Jan 2016, 4:06 pm

The IRFU gave more funding to Connacht, then they improved. The WRU didn't invest into their 50% share of the Dragons, never have never will. So the Dragons have less investment than the other 3 - one solution is for the other half to be bought by a multi-millionaire backer who will plow money into the region and not expect a return. I don't see many millionaire's lying around to be honest with you.
Also, I'm not sure that a post on an internet forum from GavinDragon is what has been preventing the regions from moving forward Headscratch, if only it was that simple!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Jan 2016, 4:27 pm

I'll gladly take being 11th. In fact, I couldn't care less if we finished 12th. Something needs to wake the Dragons board from their slumber and the sooner Lyn goes, the better.

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 03 Jan 2016, 4:38 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:The IRFU gave more funding to Connacht, then they improved. The WRU didn't invest into their 50% share of the Dragons, never have never will. So the Dragons have less investment than the other 3 - one solution is for the other half to be bought by a multi-millionaire backer who will plow money into the region and not expect a return. I don't see many millionaire's lying around to be honest with you.
Also, I'm not sure that a post on an internet forum from GavinDragon is what has been preventing the regions from moving forward Headscratch, if only it was that simple!

Well, i'm looking at both Connacht's and Dragons' squads, i reckon if there is any difference in total players wages, it's only a marginal one. When you look at some of the recent signings like Lee Byrne, Aled Brew, Andy Powell, Ian Gough.. you have to say money could have been better invested in younger, more promising players, not over the hill ones.

I was talking about the mentality and the daily negativity that has been surrounding the regions. Now that the WRU is finally trying to do something to help the regions it's time to get behind your team, not the time to bring back an outdated 20 years old argument. But as you say, nothing is that simple Wink

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 03 Jan 2016, 5:57 pm

VinceWLB wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:The IRFU gave more funding to Connacht, then they improved. The WRU didn't invest into their 50% share of the Dragons, never have never will. So the Dragons have less investment than the other 3 - one solution is for the other half to be bought by a multi-millionaire backer who will plow money into the region and not expect a return. I don't see many millionaire's lying around to be honest with you.

Well, i'm looking at both Connacht's and Dragons' squads, i reckon if there is any difference in total players wages, it's only a marginal one. When you look at some of the recent signings like Lee Byrne, Aled Brew, Andy Powell, Ian Gough.. you have to say money could have been better invested in younger, more promising players, not over the hill ones.

I was talking about the mentality and the daily negativity that has been surrounding the regions. Now that the WRU is finally trying to do something to help the regions it's time to get behind your team, not the time to bring back an outdated 20 years old argument. But as you say, nothing is that simple Wink

Three of those players aren't with us. Brew plays most of his rugby in premiership and premiership select - he's not going to be on a huge salary and be playing his rugby there, is he? We actually are investing in young players - you should take a look at the ages of the guys in the Dragons team and the ones breaking into the PS XV. Me thinks you haven't really done your research here.

All credit to Connacht as they're playing some good rugby, however their improvement has been a steady one over the last few years. It just goes to show continued support from your union and a good coach can work wonders. We're not getting any of that in my opinion, you can see that by watching our players aimlessly kick away possession all the time! We still support our team but something has got to change as over the last few years welsh domestic rugby has been in decline.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 03 Jan 2016, 6:11 pm

Griff wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Griff wrote:

And you're in dreamland if you think it will happen. You seem to have an overinflated opinion of the standing our clubs outside of Wales. We're not an attractive proposition to the English. The English public do not want to watch Welsh teams. They currently get to watch a premiership with 12 English teams. Why would they water that down with a bunch of teams from Wales, teams that can't cut it in the Pro 12? The English won't got for it.

The English could get to watch two fully pro divisions with 12 teams, that has mileage as the English want to grow the club game and even they don't have the player pool.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 03 Jan 2016, 6:12 pm

VinceWLB wrote:

Well, you just made a complete t4t of yourself.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 03 Jan 2016, 6:14 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Very shallow analysis I agree, and completely subjective but I do find it strange why so many non-spreys fans are annoyed by the OTR slogan

Like many others, it annoys be because it's a lie. And a lie that is used to undermine support for the other pro teams. Clever, but shameful.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Jan 2016, 7:01 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
Griff wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Griff wrote:

The English could get to watch two fully pro divisions with 12 teams, that has mileage as the English want to grow the club game and even they don't have the player pool.

I get the impression that if they wanted to grow the game then it would be in commercial terms (as opposed to in a sports development sense), and therefore would more likely look to the French or even South Africans before they looked West to Wales. Why do you think they're playing games in Dubai and the USA, rather than in Treherbert?

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 03 Jan 2016, 8:14 pm

Griff wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Griff wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Griff wrote:

I get the impression that if they wanted to grow the game then it would be in commercial terms (as opposed to in a sports development sense), and therefore would more likely look to the French or even South Africans before they looked West to Wales. Why do you think they're playing games in Dubai and the USA, rather than in Treherbert?

You still need a league product to sell, and I can't see the Oman Sandcastles or the Colorado Type II Diabetics being ready for it in the next five years.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 04 Jan 2016, 11:04 am

VinceWLB wrote:You should be focusing on the Dragons and look where they are right now as Zebre have overtaken you in the league and it doesn't look like you are going to catch the much improved Blues anytime soon.

It's funny how quickly things / perceptions change. The Blues didn't look 'much improved' for most of the game at Rodney Parade. I've thought about that match every day since. Crying or Very sad

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 04 Jan 2016, 2:03 pm

The Blues have played some good rugby, won a few tight games and had awful defence. They've improved yes, but the fact that they are where they are now just goes to show how awful they've been between Dai Young and Danny Wilson. I hope they continue to improve because I know they'll be one of the only welsh teams that can beat anyone in Europe whilst having a few team Wales players in their ranks - Wales needs a strong Cardiff, but needs four strong teams even more so.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 04 Jan 2016, 2:08 pm

The best thing about Cardiff Blues over this festive period for me, was watching my old man's changing emotions when watching the both games, and taking the p1ss out of him for it afterwards, he went from the most depressed negative Cardiff Blues supporter in the world to the most enthusiastic, proud, and optimistic fan ever all in the space of a few minutes, and not just once, but twice in one week.

The best thing was, after taking the p1ss out of him when we were in Newport, he tried to make out that he knew what he was doing a week later in Cardiff, yeah right'o dad.laughing

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 04 Jan 2016, 2:22 pm

Depressed, enthusiastic and optimistic? Lord, he sounds like a typical Welsh rugby supporter.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 04 Jan 2016, 2:28 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Depressed, enthusiastic and optimistic? Lord, he sounds like a typical Welsh rugby supporter.

Laugh

Aren't we all. But it is always better when you watch somebody go through it, rather than go through it yourself. Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 04 Jan 2016, 2:51 pm

Read to day that possibly one or both of Morgan and Amos should be back for Castres game.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 04 Jan 2016, 3:05 pm

They're desperately needed for that game. When is it by the way, weekend before 6 Nations action?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 04 Jan 2016, 3:06 pm

DJ will be out for a few months. I wonder if we'll look to sign some temporary cover in that area given Tovey's luck with injuries. AOB will likely be brought back in too.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 04 Jan 2016, 3:14 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:They're desperately needed for that game. When is it by the way, weekend before 6 Nations action?

The Castres game is next friday.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 04 Jan 2016, 3:19 pm

Nice. Reckon they'll start on be on the bench? It's not often you have a centre and back 3 player on the bench.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 04 Jan 2016, 4:56 pm

VinceWLB wrote:

Scarlets are the same.

You are the 1st Dragons fan i hear spouting such nonsense. You should be focusing on the Dragons and look where they are right now as Zebre have overtaken you in the league and it doesn't look like you are going to catch the much improved Blues anytime soon.

For years you have been similar to Connacht and look where they are right now with only 1 or 2 Irish internationals, you should be aspiring to do the same and find what's wrong within the team instead of moaning about things you don't have control over.

This is posts like yours which have been holding Welsh regions back for years.

Genuinely confused by your response? What is what you have quoted got anything to do with holding the regions back?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 04 Jan 2016, 5:00 pm

VinceWLB wrote:

Ah, should have read this post before my first response.

I am behind my team thank you very much. I watch week in week out and A games and all the extra's I buy are to promote the Gwent element. E.g I buy the 'Monmouthshire' blue away kit, boblle hat and rugby balls etc to try and make it a success.

I just call it as I see it. There was no negativity intended in my analysis of how the regions/pro teams portray themselves.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 04 Jan 2016, 5:02 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:Very shallow analysis I agree, and completely subjective but I do find it strange why so many non-spreys fans are annoyed by the OTR slogan

Like many others, it annoys be because it's a lie. And a lie that is used to undermine support for the other pro teams. Clever, but shameful.

So lets say you get your wish and Newport RFC supporters group or another person gains complete control of the Dragons and they revert to Newport RFC black and amber hoops etc....

Would you still be annoyed vy the OTR slogan?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 04 Jan 2016, 5:33 pm

What about the unofficial region pre-regionalism (Scarlets)?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 04 Jan 2016, 5:49 pm

GavinDragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

So lets say you get your wish and Newport RFC supporters group or another person gains complete control of the Dragons and they revert to Newport RFC black and amber hoops etc

Would you still be annoyed vy the OTR slogan?

Park the agenda and I'll answer you. How is that 'my wish'? Again, Dowlaisesque
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 04 Jan 2016, 5:53 pm

Sorry I assumed it was given your general hostility to the word region.

So, if the above did happen. Would the slogan annoy you?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 04 Jan 2016, 6:28 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:What about the unofficial region pre-regionalism (Scarlets)?

Turk hoody - "Scarlets est. 1872"

http://shop.scarlets.co.uk/Royal-Overhead-Hoody-Mens.html

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 04 Jan 2016, 6:43 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Sorry I assumed it was given your general hostility to the word region.

My hostility is towards wholesale adoption of unproven/failed business models for delivering elite rugby in South East Wales.

And yes, if the above did happen it would still annoy me, as the colour of our jerseys has nothing whatsoever to do with the OTR spin being a steaming pile of sh8te.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 04 Jan 2016, 7:10 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Sorry I assumed it was given your general hostility to the word region.

Been a pain in the @rse down our way and even more so after the demise of the CWs when Ponty fans were told that Cardiff were now their team. Bonkers.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 04 Jan 2016, 7:13 pm

Slightly different scenario in he Blues case David.

And eloquently put stone. So how would a newport rfc business model be any different? Save for the business not having the WRU as a sleeping partner

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 04 Jan 2016, 7:23 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Slightly different scenario in he Blues case David.

And eloquently put stone. So how would a newport rfc business model be any different? Save for the business not having the WRU as a sleeping partner

I know mate and all 4 are slightly different.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next