The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland match holds the key to another Wales Grand Slam

+15
Geordie
No 7&1/2
asoreleftshoulder
majesticimperialman
eirebilly
Breadvan
maestegmafia
munkian
BamBam
Gwlad
mikey_dragon
lostinwales
Luckless Pedestrian
bedfordwelsh
LordDowlais
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ireland match holds the key to another Wales Grand Slam Empty Ireland match holds the key to another Wales Grand Slam

Post by LordDowlais Thu 07 Jan 2016, 11:56 am

This has been taken from Shane Williams's column in the rugby paper, he seems to have forgotten about Scott Williams's injury, and I must say, he is lighting the touch paper between Wales and Ireland early this year, especially with this little tidbit:-

Going to face Ireland, the reigning champions, in the first game is bound to be difficult, but they are not the side they once were. They don’t have the same strength in depth as they used to and they lack firepower compared to when they had Brian O’Driscoll leading their back division. wrote:

Oh well it looks as though the rivalry is starting to simmer nicely again, come the 6N it will be at volcanic eruption levels. Laugh

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/features/columnists/shane-williams/24818/shane-williams-column-ireland-match-holds-the-key-to-another-wales-grand-slam/

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Ireland match holds the key to another Wales Grand Slam Empty Re: Ireland match holds the key to another Wales Grand Slam

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 07 Jan 2016, 2:24 pm

IF and its BIG IF and I am taking nothing for granted but IF we did win first game then we have two home games before heading to Twickenham so we could well be in a good place by then.

Then again we all know we are poor starters so Ireland first up is not the best game to have with that in mind.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Ireland match holds the key to another Wales Grand Slam Empty Re: Ireland match holds the key to another Wales Grand Slam

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Jan 2016, 3:50 pm

The last time we played in Dublin we (and Gatland) were schooled by Ireland and Schmidt. I'll be over the moon if we win, but I'm not expecting it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 07 Jan 2016, 4:06 pm

Technically correct in that if Wales don't win they can't get the grand slam, as in Doh

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Jan 2016, 5:53 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The last time we played in Dublin we (and Gatland) were schooled by Ireland and Schmidt. I'll be over the moon if we win, but I'm not expecting it.

Last time competitively Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Jan 2016, 5:56 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The last time we played in Dublin we (and Gatland) were schooled by Ireland and Schmidt. I'll be over the moon if we win, but I'm not expecting it.

Last time competitively Wink

Okay, fair enough. tomato

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 07 Jan 2016, 6:23 pm

We might be lacking more firepower, and we'll be more rusty than usual with some absentees just making their comeback. So it's a pretty bold statement to be making.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu 07 Jan 2016, 6:35 pm

? Balders Lee
AWJ Bradley
Tips Faletau Lydiate
Davies
Biggarena
North
ROberts
JD2
?
?

Its not a bad side but Ireland aren't the side England are, they won't be as naive.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 07 Jan 2016, 7:07 pm

Yaaaaawwwwnnnn

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 07 Jan 2016, 7:15 pm

Gwlad it might be Francis to start. I've seen nothing from Lee that warrants a starting place. LH however could and should be Evans. Jenkins is still awesome but I think the last 6 Nations should have been, well, his last. AWJ and Charteris will likely be at 2nd row with Bradley as the replacement. Hoping to see Hewitt involved in the back 3 too.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu 07 Jan 2016, 8:05 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Gwlad it might be Francis to start. I've seen nothing from Lee that warrants a starting place. LH however could and should be Evans. Jenkins is still awesome but I think the last 6 Nations should have been, well, his last. AWJ and Charteris will likely be at 2nd row with Bradley as the replacement. Hoping to see Hewitt involved in the back 3 too.

Is Lee injured and what of Cian Healy?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 07 Jan 2016, 8:25 pm

No, both have been returning from injury I think, Lee to a lesser extent and his form hasn't been great. Healy might be set to miss more game time with a ban? I've not read up on that lately. Leinster's next LH is said to be a better player right now though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 08 Jan 2016, 8:00 am

Gwlad wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Gwlad it might be Francis to start. I've seen nothing from Lee that warrants a starting place. LH however could and should be Evans. Jenkins is still awesome but I think the last 6 Nations should have been, well, his last. AWJ and Charteris will likely be at 2nd row with Bradley as the replacement. Hoping to see Hewitt involved in the back 3 too.

Is Lee injured and what of Cian Healy?

Healy wont make the first game with his token match ban/Knee injury Operation sojourn
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 08 Jan 2016, 9:42 am

mikey_dragon wrote:No, both have been returning from injury I think, Lee to a lesser extent and his form hasn't been great. Healy might be set to miss more game time with a ban? I've not read up on that lately. Leinster's next LH is said to be a better player right now though.

I watched Samson Lee playing at the Arms Park over the festive period, to say he has put on weight is being polite, he was bulging out of his jersey, the kid needs to shed a few pounds and quickly if he is going to be playing for Wales in the 6N, by the time he came off he was fooked.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 08 Jan 2016, 10:17 am

LordDowlais wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:No, both have been returning from injury I think, Lee to a lesser extent and his form hasn't been great. Healy might be set to miss more game time with a ban? I've not read up on that lately. Leinster's next LH is said to be a better player right now though.

I watched Samson Lee playing at the Arms Park over the festive period, to say he has put on weight is being polite, he was bulging out of his jersey, the kid needs to shed a few pounds and quickly if he is going to be playing for Wales in the 6N, by the time he came off he was fooked.

Thats a shame, must have been a particularly bountiful period of ferreting ! Shocked

Isn't the other Irish prop injured too ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 08 Jan 2016, 10:18 am

munkian wrote:
Thats a shame, must have been a particularly bountiful period of ferreting ! Shocked

It looked as though he had eaten his ferrets as well. Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 08 Jan 2016, 11:05 am

Gwlad wrote:? Balders Lee
AWJ Bradley
Tips Faletau Lydiate
Davies
Biggarena
North
ROberts
JD2
?
?

Its not a bad side but Ireland aren't the side England are, they won't be as naive.

James Baldwin Lee
AWJ Charteris
Lydiate Faletau Warburton (would still risk him as long as he has some game time before)

Davies Biggar
North Roberts

Back 3, really don't know.  North out of form, Cuthbert out of form, Halfpenny out, Liam Williams, Asncombe and Amos short on gametime if they get back in time (Amos due back next week), don't rate Evans or James, Patchell and Hewitt untried, Walker made of glass, Hook, nope not for me, Morgan wouldn't be keen on him starting.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 08 Jan 2016, 11:14 am

I think Ashton Hewitt deserves a call up, but I doubt he'll get one. As soon as Cuthbert scored that one-metre special against the Scarlets, his place was guaranteed.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 08 Jan 2016, 11:15 am

How badly crocked is Lydiate?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 08 Jan 2016, 11:24 am

lostinwales wrote:How badly crocked is Lydiate?

Didn't know he was lost?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 08 Jan 2016, 11:26 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I think Ashton Hewitt deserves a call up, but I doubt he'll get one. As soon as Cuthbert scored that one-metre special against the Scarlets, his place was guaranteed.

LP,

I agree plus there is this new hero/messiah in the Blues now goes by name of Tom James, once the WOL and Fail get on the case he will be undroppable Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 08 Jan 2016, 11:30 am

The thing is as much as I would like to see North and Cuthbert both dropped for a while, with our injuries at XV I think we do need some experience in the back 3.

If let's say Williams and Halfpenny were both fit then I wouldn't have a problem with Hewitt being given a shot.

However a back 3 of Hewitt, North an/'or Cuthbert with then an inexperienced XV like say Patchell or Morgan would be asking for trouble out in Dublin.

I really don't know who I would pick in the back 3 at the moment. I just hope that one or all of Williams, Amos and Anscombe can get fit and get some game time.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 08 Jan 2016, 11:30 am

I wouldn't mind Tom James getting a call up, he actually is in good form, even if there's a touch of the Forrest Gumps about him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 08 Jan 2016, 11:30 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:

Didn't know he was lost?

Apologies if I was wrong, just thought he had been sitting out a few matches

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 08 Jan 2016, 11:35 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:The thing is as much as I would like to see North and Cuthbert both dropped for a while, with our injuries at XV I think we do need some experience in the back 3.

If let's say Williams and Halfpenny were both fit then I wouldn't have a problem with Hewitt being given a shot.

However a back 3 of Hewitt, North an/'or Cuthbert with then an inexperienced XV like say Patchell or Morgan would be asking for trouble out in Dublin.

I really don't know who I would pick in the back 3 at the moment.  I just hope that one or all of Williams, Amos and Anscombe can get fit and get some game time.

I agree there are easier places to make your senior Test debut than away to Ireland in the Six Nations.

Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 08 Jan 2016, 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 08 Jan 2016, 11:35 am

lostinwales wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

Didn't know he was lost?

Apologies if I was wrong, just thought he had been sitting out a few matches

Warburtons out at the moment and Faletau hasn't played much for us in recent weeks but hopefully he will be ok.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 08 Jan 2016, 12:11 pm

Last time we played in Dublin we won...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 08 Jan 2016, 12:15 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:The thing is as much as I would like to see North and Cuthbert both dropped for a while, with our injuries at XV I think we do need some experience in the back 3.

I really don't know who I would pick in the back 3 at the moment.  I just hope that one or all of Williams, Amos and Anscombe can get fit and get some game time.

I agree there are easier places to make your senior Test debut than away to Ireland in the Six Nations.

Like I mentioned I honestly don't know what back 3 I would be comfortable seeing out there unless some of the injured pull through.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 08 Jan 2016, 12:16 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

Last time we played in Dublin we won...!

Yes, that's already been pointed out. I forgot about the World Cup warm-up game, but then in my defence, this is a thread about the Six Nations!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 08 Jan 2016, 12:25 pm

In a half hearted world cup warm up match! This match has had some added edge over recent yrs, a great watch for the nuetral..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jan 2016, 5:07 pm

Couple of weeks of Gatland's crossfire and Lee will be a bit trimmer, I'm sure.

Faletau should be fit next week. I suspect Amos will be too.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 08 Jan 2016, 5:55 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Couple of weeks of Gatland's crossfire and Lee will be a bit trimmer, I'm sure.

Faletau should be fit next week. I suspect Amos will be too.

Rev,

Last report I read said either him or Morgan would def be fit for the Castres game, pity both not but 1 better than none I guess.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 10 Jan 2016, 1:30 am

We really need Amos and Liam fit.

North is out of form, Cuthbert is Cuthbert, Walker? Anscombe? Who else in the back 3 is pressing…where is Half at?

And it is time to back Morgan/Anscombe as a utility replacement for Hook.

Of course Lloyd can do a job as we know, so I expect gats to favor him and ease Webb back in very very slowly.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 10 Jan 2016, 10:57 am

Although Wales are notoriously slow starters to the 6N I feel that Gatland has the edge on Schmidt. Gatland always seems to outsmart Schmidt's tactics so i expect a very close game with Wales edging it.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 10 Jan 2016, 11:03 am

Gwlad wrote:We really need Amos and Liam fit.

North is out of form, Cuthbert is Cuthbert, Walker? Anscombe? Who else in the back 3 is pressing…where is Half at?

And it is time to back Morgan/Anscombe as a utility replacement for Hook.

Of course Lloyd can do a job as we know, so I expect gats to favor him and ease Webb back in very very slowly.

Tuppence is out until end of the season. Gwlad you are forgetting the new messiah that goes by the name of James. Apparently he is the best thing since sliced bread according to some.

Amos is due back for us next week against Castres, Anscombe not sure about.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 10 Jan 2016, 12:25 pm

eirebilly wrote:Although Wales are notoriously slow starters to the 6N I feel that Gatland has the edge on Schmidt. Gatland always seems to outsmart Schmidt's tactics so i expect a very close game with Wales edging it.

Superior record and more experience, Gatland is certainly the better coach.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 10 Jan 2016, 5:14 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Although Wales are notoriously slow starters to the 6N I feel that Gatland has the edge on Schmidt. Gatland always seems to outsmart Schmidt's tactics so i expect a very close game with Wales edging it.

Superior record and more experience, Gatland is certainly the better coach.  

I'm not sure he is better but tactically eh definitely knows his stuff - the decision to attack the wide channels because the wingers were defending deep in the England RWC game being a great example of his versatility

Of course, we all know he only knows Gatball really Rolling Eyes

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 10 Jan 2016, 7:34 pm

Is Warburton injured? and if So who will be captain?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 10 Jan 2016, 9:32 pm

Warbs is due back soon, but could do with a longer rest anyway, perhaps a sabbatical. AWJ will be captain, a good choice it is too.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 10 Jan 2016, 9:50 pm

milkey_dragon

I do agree with you AWJ will be a great captain for Wales.

Just wandering if Gethin Jenkins will get selected and would he be Captain if he did?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 10 Jan 2016, 9:59 pm

I'm not sure to be honest, and I'd prefer to see Gill or Evans be given the nod. Either way AWJ would be captain, Jenkins is further down the line.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 10 Jan 2016, 10:23 pm

Short memory?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 10 Jan 2016, 10:34 pm

I just dont think Sex is totally the great player he was before France and Picamoles rocked the guy. he was at his peak in 2013.

has he been the same back at Leinster…how many points?

He is a confidence player and that is not something Biggar struggles with

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 10 Jan 2016, 11:00 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Short memory?

Limited debating ability?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 10 Jan 2016, 11:04 pm

Ireland are a funny lot

Consistently excellent in the 6 Nations like Wales, better v SH sides but have had poor RWC showings.

No doubt Ireland have the advantage being at home against Wales game 1 seems like a fairly solid chance of them getting the win.

How will they handle the pressure of not having POC and looking at trying to win the 6 Nations for the 3rd time in a row?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 10 Jan 2016, 11:09 pm

Its a difficult game to call Gwlad. Gatland has that ability to work out and counter Schmidt's game plan better than any other coach right now. I cant see past a scrappy Welsh win.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 10 Jan 2016, 11:27 pm

He does ; its how we beat England but Ireland and England aren't comparable in those terms.

Schmidt is a class act; he'll know what his weaknesses are and how not to invite a game plan in.

I think that it will be decided by Sexton's form.

It's his hour; BOD and POC gone he really now is the Boss. If he gets it right Ireland should get the home win (we usually are rubbish game 1 at least for half an hour)

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 11 Jan 2016, 8:03 am

Obsession.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 11 Jan 2016, 8:31 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Warbs is due back soon, but could do with a longer rest anyway, perhaps a sabbatical. AWJ will be captain, a good choice it is too.

Is he really due a long rest, he's been managed pretty well since he was first to sign a DC. I agree it wouldn't hurt if he sat out the first game against Ireland but can't see him being out long.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 11 Jan 2016, 8:33 am

majesticimperialman wrote:milkey_dragon

I do agree with you AWJ will be a great captain for Wales.

Just wandering if Gethin Jenkins will get selected and would he be Captain if he did?

I think Jenkins will be selected this time around but we really have to start looking beyond him now. Evans and Smith need to start getting some meaningful game time now.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next