The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales 6 Nations Squad

+37
wales606
Shifty
JDizzle
Steffan
exile jack
wayne
Allty
Blueschief
Knowsit17
fa0019
majesticimperialman
MonkeyOwain12
RiscaGame
BigTrevsbigmac
bedfordwelsh
yappysnap
lostinwales
Dontheman2
maestegmafia
LordDowlais
TightHEAD
Gwlad
gregortree
johnrgby
Cardiff Dave
Fanster
Luckless Pedestrian
RubyGuby
gog1992
GavinDragon
True Raven
Seagultaf
chris_501
mikey_dragon
ScarletSpiderman
BamBam
munkian
41 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Wales 6 Nations Squad - Page 3 Empty Wales 6 Nations Squad

Post by munkian Tue 19 Jan 2016, 12:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

Forwards:
Rob Evans (Scarlets), Paul James (Ospreys), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Racing 92), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Dominic Day (Bath Rugby), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Josh Turnbull (Cardiff Blues), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), James King (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (CAPT) (Cardiff Blues).
Backs:
Aled Davies (Scarlets) *, Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues) Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Priestland (Bath Rugby), Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues), Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne), Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins), Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Tom James (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Matthew Morgan (Bristol Rugby), Liam Williams (Scarlets).
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Wales 6 Nations Squad - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales 6 Nations Squad

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 23 Jan 2016, 8:36 am

True Raven wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Roberts is in fine form at the moment, he's playing some of the best rugby I've seen since he went to France. Should be a very good combination with Biggar and who ever you have at 13? Depending upon tactics though obv.

Please keep him fit for Quins.

Yappy with Roberts at 12 we all know what tactics Wales will employ no matter what Howley says to the press.

This....its why I hoped rob howley would have lost his job after the world cup after our dismal attack.  With howley as coach, Roberts will constantly run into his opposite number without even the hope of an offload

It's like that Blackadder Goes Forth sketch. 'Doing precisely what we’ve done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they’ll expect us to do this time!'

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 23 Jan 2016, 8:41 am

Howley and McBryde should of gone but I still fear Howley is being lined up as successor to Gatland.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 23 Jan 2016, 10:29 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Howley and McBryde should of gone but I still fear Howley is being lined up as successor to Gatland.

You still think all that's not well is their fault?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sat 23 Jan 2016, 10:34 am

You don't? Good coaches make an impact on a team, bad coaches don't. Have a look at the blues scrum under Danny Wilson, last season with the same players, the scrum was going backwards this season its solid. That is the impact of a good coach. Two tries against three tier one nations is abysmal and I have no doubt under a better backs coach there would be a marked improvement

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 23 Jan 2016, 2:51 pm

True Raven wrote:You don't?  Good coaches make an impact on a team, bad coaches don't.  Have a look at the blues scrum under Danny Wilson, last season with the same players, the scrum was going backwards this season its solid.  That is the impact of a good coach.  Two tries against three tier one nations is abysmal and I have no doubt under a better backs coach there would be a marked improvement

If you look at the try scoring stats in the six nations since Howley started his coaching tenure in 2008 Wales stats vary little compared with other nations, some years we score the most tries others we don't, we are never lower than fourth in the try count, that is the same as France, Ireland, Scotland and England.

The players seem to play no differently for Wales than they do for their club/region. They are no more enigmatic away from Wales.

I don't see any hard fact that Howley or McBride are poor at their job. In fact their retention and likelihood of Howley becoming our next head coach seems a decent recommendation of their abilities.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Sat 23 Jan 2016, 3:04 pm

As I stated two tries in three games against tier 1 nations is glaringly bad and our scrum came off second best against those tier 1 nations. If ledesma can teach the Aussies to scrummage then we can find a better coach to teach our boys

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 23 Jan 2016, 3:55 pm

True Raven wrote:As I stated two tries in three games against tier 1 nations is glaringly bad and our scrum came off second best against those tier 1 nations.  If ledesma can teach the Aussies to scrummage then we can find a better coach to teach our boys

Our boys are not tearing up the scrums below international level and Ledesma is employed by the ARU.

Who do you suggest would be a better replacement for Howley and McBride...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 23 Jan 2016, 3:59 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

I don't see any hard fact that Howley or McBride are poor at their job. In fact their retention and likelihood of Howley becoming our next head coach seems a decent recommendation of their abilities.

You'd better start watching Wales play then! I'm just grateful Gatland is there holding it all together. As for Howley, why exactly has Gatland carried him all these years?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 23 Jan 2016, 4:03 pm

True Raven wrote:As I stated two tries in three games against tier 1 nations is glaringly bad and our scrum came off second best against those tier 1 nations.  If ledesma can teach the Aussies to scrummage then we can find a better coach to teach our boys

Certainly causes for concern there, but outside of NZ most teams aren't scoring tries for fun against other tier 1 nations.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 23 Jan 2016, 4:13 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

You'd better start watching Wales play then! I'm just grateful Gatland is there holding it all together. As for Howley, why exactly has Gatland carried him all these years?

Who do you suggest as am alternative?

Last time Howley was in charge we won the championship, scored the most tries, had the highest points scorer, highest try scorer and player of the tournament.

I would love to see Wales improved, but I feel it is accuracy that lets us down not coaching. The All Blacks, for example, kick the most, pass the most but also display the most accuracy in attack.

To improve our attack the players need to improve their skills.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 23 Jan 2016, 5:05 pm

True Raven wrote:There's more chance of that missing lottery ticket ending up in my back pocket than there is of Scotland beating England.  I was gutted Scotland lost how they did in that world cup but against Australia they were gifted a couple of tries and got demolished by south Africa.  They're a young team who are developing nicely but not good enough yet to beat england....and wales wont play with two 7s, it will be a back row of lydiate, Warburton and faletau no matter how little game time they've had

i disagree about scotland. they beat aus
lydiate is injured

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat 23 Jan 2016, 5:56 pm

Scotland beat themselves really. Unlucky bounce nr the end, but then they had just fecked up their catch and drive opportunity.
Oval balls and all that,who knows which way they are going to bounce ?
Still England suffer in winter weather in Edinburgh, so lap of gods and all that.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 23 Jan 2016, 6:21 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Last time Howley was in charge we won the championship, scored the most tries, had the highest points scorer, highest try scorer and player of the tournament.

I would love to see Wales improved, but I feel it is accuracy that lets us down not coaching. The All Blacks, for example, kick the most, pass the most but also display the most accuracy in attack.

How can I make a suggestion? I'm not a scout. If the WRU can track down Gatland then I'm sure they can find a good forwards and backs coach.

It's all well and good bringing up that 6 Nations title but that would be forgetting losing all our games in the autumn, and losing the opening game to Ireland. It would also be forgetting the lack of progress in backline play, whilst our set piece has gone backwards by miles. Your allusion to the ABs there is pointless.

To say our players need to improve their skills is quite ignorant. I watch them play often and they each have very high skill levels.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 23 Jan 2016, 6:27 pm

Gwlad wrote:
True Raven wrote:There's more chance of that missing lottery ticket ending up in my back pocket than there is of Scotland beating England.  I was gutted Scotland lost how they did in that world cup but against Australia they were gifted a couple of tries and got demolished by south Africa.  They're a young team who are developing nicely but not good enough yet to beat england....and wales wont play with two 7s, it will be a back row of lydiate, Warburton and faletau no matter how little game time they've had

lydiate is injured

When did they beat Aus?
I think Lydiate is expected back next week.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 23 Jan 2016, 6:29 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

lydiate is injured

When did they beat Aus?

RWC 2015. Biggest travesty in refereeing i have ever seen. Scotland won.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 23 Jan 2016, 6:31 pm

Lydiate has been involved in all bar contact training due to head injury protocols so his fitness won't be an issue just bit rusty on game time I guess.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 23 Jan 2016, 6:39 pm

Gwlad wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

lydiate is injured

When did they beat Aus?

They lost, sorry.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 23 Jan 2016, 6:45 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

lydiate is injured

When did they beat Aus?

They lost, sorry.

Aus won the game because the ref was a cycloptic idiot. Every single rugby fan knows that. Scotland were cheated by incompetence that bordered on career ending IMO. Aus were the class act of RWC and if Scotland can reproduce that against an unknown and nascent England side then anything is possible.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 23 Jan 2016, 6:48 pm

Yeah that's right, Aus won. Scotland ain't no dark horses pal Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 24 Jan 2016, 1:19 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

How can I make a suggestion? I'm not a scout. If the WRU can track down Gatland then I'm sure they can find a good forwards and backs coach.

It's all well and good bringing up that 6 Nations title but that would be forgetting losing all our games in the autumn, and losing the opening game to Ireland. It would also be forgetting the lack of progress in backline play, whilst our set piece has gone backwards by miles. Your allusion to the ABs there is pointless.

To say our players need to improve their skills is quite ignorant. I watch them play often and they each have very high skill levels.

Our players skill level is the same if not worse for region or club as it is for international, so why blame the coaches mate..?

Our top players need to step up a level, and if they can't then we are stick where we are until we find a few who can

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sun 24 Jan 2016, 7:53 am

maestegmafia wrote:

Our boys are not tearing up the scrums below international level

'Our boys' aren't playing as an 8 below international level.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sun 24 Jan 2016, 8:00 am

maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Oh come on, Howley had Gatland on the other end of the phone the whole time. It wasn't his team.

I can see us missing out on Dai Young if we're not careful. A head coach who's proved himself, as opposed to a backs coach who's ridden on a head coach's coattails. Worst-case scenario is we go with Howley and England snap up Dai Young.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 24 Jan 2016, 11:38 am

maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Our players skill level is the same if not worse for region or club as it is for international, so why blame the coaches mate..?

Our top players need to step up a level, and if they can't then we are stick where we are until we find a few who can

Maes if you have to question why people criticise the likes of McBryde and Howley then it just reinforces my view that you're views are ignorant.

Agree that some need to step up a level and if they can't then we find others, however the likes of Tom James and Josh Turnbull are not those players.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 24 Jan 2016, 1:59 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Maes if you have to question why people criticise the likes of McBryde and Howley then it just reinforces my view that you're views are ignorant.

Agree that some need to step up a level and if they can't then we find others, however the likes of Tom James and Josh Turnbull are not those players.

No it reinforces that I think you might be looking for answers in the wrong place.

Any suggestions for who we should have instead of Howley, Turnbull, McBride and James

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 24 Jan 2016, 3:22 pm

Perhaps another open side in place of Turnbull, and one I think that deserves recognition is Cudd. Turnbull will just be holding tackle bags but Cudd is capable of slotting in I feel. If not him then Navidi. Hewitt in place of Cuthbert and not James, who I said I wouldn't replace elsewhere. Those views are based on watching rugby on a regular basis. I've already answered you with regards to coaches.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 24 Jan 2016, 4:21 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Perhaps another open side in place of Turnbull, and one I think that deserves recognition is Cudd. Turnbull will just be holding tackle bags but Cudd is capable of slotting in I feel. If not him then Navidi. Hewitt in place of Cuthbert and not James, who I said I wouldn't replace elsewhere. Those views are based on watching rugby on a regular basis. I've already answered you with regards to coaches.

Completely disagree with you regarding Cudd, good last season average this year. Ollie Griffiths looks the better openside at Dragons. Neither are playing better than Turnbull, likewise Nalvidi. Not had much of a season. Injury been an issue but Ellis Jenkins is far more worthy of a spot than any mentioned above.

Shame he also is only just returning from injury.

Missed the bit where you mentioned the coaches who you think should replace ours...? When and where did you post that.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 24 Jan 2016, 4:25 pm

Ollie Griffiths has been on great form in any game he has played and I can guarantee that if he had any other jersey on his back bar a Dragons one people would be raving about him like they are doing over Underhill.

I wouldn't have picked Turnbull and for me I would have had Navidi, Griffihts or if fit young Davies in ahead of him.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 24 Jan 2016, 4:28 pm

Well as good a prospect as Griffiths is, what you say is wholeheartedly untrue. Both of them and Navidi always play much better than Turnbull - I'm surprised he still has a contract. He doesn't fit anywhere in the back-row, and just looks slow and unfit. Disagree on Jenkins seeing as he's only had a handful of games this season, Cudd and Navidi have played consistently well season upon season.

Scroll up and you'll see it. You've even quoted it.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 24 Jan 2016, 4:32 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Ollie Griffiths has been on great form in any game he has played and I can guarantee that if he had any other jersey on his back bar a Dragons one people would be raving about him like they are doing over Underhill.

I wouldn't have picked Turnbull and for me I would have had Navidi, Griffihts or if fit young Davies in ahead of him.

Good point, though it seems even you have forgotten about Cudd given all the Scrum V love-ins over Cubby Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 24 Jan 2016, 4:37 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

Can't see anything where you suggest coaches.

Who do you think we should hire ahead of Howley and McBride.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 24 Jan 2016, 4:41 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Ollie Griffiths has been on great form in any game he has played and I can guarantee that if he had any other jersey on his back bar a Dragons one people would be raving about him like they are doing over Underhill.

Good point, though it seems even you have forgotten about Cudd given all the Scrum V love-ins over Cubby Wink.

Not at all Mikey, I just think Griffiths is the better prospect. Cudd is what 27 now so I can't see him making the break through now, where as Griffiths at 20 has all his best years ahead of him.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 24 Jan 2016, 4:52 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

I never at one point said that I would suggest coaches. You asked me again if I had any suggestions and I said I had already answered you with regards to that. Are you trying to be funny/clever?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 24 Jan 2016, 4:54 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Not at all Mikey, I just think Griffiths is the better prospect.  Cudd is what 27 now so I can't see him making the break through now, where as Griffiths at 20 has all his best years ahead of him.

Totally agree with that, but for now Cudd is still the better 7. He's been playing well for a few years and whilst he may not be around for as long as Griffiths I feel he has played consistently well for some years and probably deserves a Wales cap. Then again I guess we're quite well stocked at 7 for now and the foreseeable future.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 24 Jan 2016, 5:19 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

I never at one point said that I would suggest coaches. You asked me again if I had any suggestions and I said I had already answered you with regards to that. Are you trying to be funny/clever?

No I am asking you a straight forward, very simple question. Which two coaches do you think would be a better option than McBride and Howley....????

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 24 Jan 2016, 5:30 pm

Sigh, I'll refer you to what I said earlier because I'm certain I wrote it in English. Now stop banging your head against a wall.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 24 Jan 2016, 6:49 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Sigh, I'll refer you to what I said earlier because I'm certain I wrote it in English. Now stop banging your head against a wall.

So no ideas?

Fair enough. You can just say that you think someone could do better but you don't know who. There may well be someone better.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 24 Jan 2016, 8:00 pm

Yeah I certainly think a guy like Gibbes or Baxter and his coaching staff could do leagues better than the average, urine taking Howley and McBrdye - two of the worst coaches at this level in world rugby I reckon. But like I also said, which you seem to be avoiding, it is not my job to scout available coaches and hire them. Asking me which better coaches are available to come in seems to be moving away from my original point (Howley and McBryde are poor coaches and player managers).

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 24 Jan 2016, 8:08 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Yeah I certainly think a guy like Gibbes or Baxter and his coaching staff could do leagues better than the average, urine taking Howley and McBrdye - two of the worst coaches at this level in world rugby I reckon. But like I also said, which you seem to be avoiding, it is not my job to scout available coaches and hire them. Asking me which better coaches are available to come in seems to be moving away from my original point (Howley and McBryde are poor coaches and player managers).

I asked your opinion. I know it's not your decision.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 24 Jan 2016, 9:16 pm

Well no Maes it didn't quite go down like that. You first asked me to suggest some alternatives to which I answered "How can I make a suggestion? I'm not a scout. If the WRU can track down Gatland then I'm sure they can find a good forwards and backs coach." - this is a fair comment. A few comments later you asked again, as if you were trying to extract a different answer. You also said "You can just say that you think someone could do better but you don't know who. There may well be someone better." - Well yeah that is exactly what I was getting at where I've quoted myself in this post. I'm certain there are better alternatives than Howley and McBryde that could be located in the near future. You seem to be questioning this because you believe everything to be red and rosy in the set-up when it's actually far from it.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 24 Jan 2016, 9:33 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Well no Maes it didn't quite go down like that. You first asked me to suggest some alternatives to which I answered "How can I make a suggestion? I'm not a scout. If the WRU can track down Gatland then I'm sure they can find a good forwards and backs coach." - this is a fair comment. A few comments later you asked again, as if you were trying to extract a different answer. You also said "You can just say that you think someone could do better but you don't know who. There may well be someone better." - Well yeah that is exactly what I was getting at where I've quoted myself in this post. I'm certain there are better alternatives than Howley and McBryde that could be located in the near future. You seem to be questioning this because you believe everything to be red and rosy in the set-up when it's actually far from it.

No I want to see improvements in Welsh rugby all the way through and I have an open mind as to what may or may not be beneficial to our progress.

I don't hold the belief that the coaches are solely to blame. I have a feeling that with our current established squad we have reached a plateau that is likely to not be broken until more talent comes in to the squad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 24 Jan 2016, 10:07 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Not at all Mikey, I just think Griffiths is the better prospect.  Cudd is what 27 now so I can't see him making the break through now, where as Griffiths at 20 has all his best years ahead of him.

Cudd is also too small and doesn't do enough in an attacking sense to warrant international consideration.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 25 Jan 2016, 5:22 am

maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Well no Maes it didn't quite go down like that. You first asked me to suggest some alternatives to which I answered "How can I make a suggestion? I'm not a scout. If the WRU can track down Gatland then I'm sure they can find a good forwards and backs coach." - this is a fair comment. A few comments later you asked again, as if you were trying to extract a different answer. You also said "You can just say that you think someone could do better but you don't know who. There may well be someone better." - Well yeah that is exactly what I was getting at where I've quoted myself in this post. I'm certain there are better alternatives than Howley and McBryde that could be located in the near future. You seem to be questioning this because you believe everything to be red and rosy in the set-up when it's actually far from it.

No I want to see improvements in Welsh rugby all the way through and I have an open mind as to what may or may not be beneficial to our progress.

I don't hold the belief that the coaches are solely to blame. I have a feeling that with our current established squad we have reached a plateau that is likely to not be broken until more talent comes in to the squad.

Or we recruit (whoever it maybe) better coaches that can get more out of the current crop of players, most of which are still going to be around for the next world cup.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 25 Jan 2016, 8:06 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Or we recruit (whoever it maybe) better coaches that can get more out of the current crop of players, most of which are still going to be around for the next world cup.

Who are the coaches that the WRU should be targeting to hire...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Mon 25 Jan 2016, 8:36 am

I think that everyone regards Gatland as a good coach.
So, surely we should be able to understand that he holds Howley, McBride et al in high regard. I'd rather trust his instincts rather than my own opinion at the moment.

Let' not forget, the record shows that Howley is a 6 Nations winning Head Coach.

Even Henry, Hansen and Smith were lambasted. They evolved, and started new trends, rather than follow trends. It must be said though, I think they probably had a little more natural talent to choose from!

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 25 Jan 2016, 9:29 am

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Who are the coaches that the WRU should be targeting to hire...?

Tumbleweed

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 25 Jan 2016, 9:32 am

MonkeyOwain12 wrote:I think that everyone regards Gatland as a good coach.
So, surely we should be able to understand that he holds Howley, McBride et al in high regard. I'd rather trust his instincts rather than my own opinion at the moment.

Let' not forget, the record shows that Howley is a 6 Nations winning Head Coach.

Even Henry, Hansen and Smith were lambasted. They evolved, and started new trends, rather than follow trends. It must be said though, I think they probably had a little more natural talent to choose from!

Howley's Autumn record also shows he is a wooden spoon coach (4 losses from 4). The set piece ha fallen apart since 2014 and the back play have done like 2 different moves throughout Howley's tenure. These coaches were a jobs for the boys appointment.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Mon 25 Jan 2016, 9:47 am

These jobs for the boys have been a significant part of one of the most successful periods for the National team...

I agree that I think a little added impetus would be a good thing, but can't help but think that if we had one or two of the injuries fit, we'd have ben semi-finalists.

I suppose we'll get the chance to judge further during the 6 Nations.

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 25 Jan 2016, 10:08 am

I know - but you're failing to see the lack of set piece and back play. It's been this way since they were appointed and if you're okay with it then you must like mediocrity.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 25 Jan 2016, 10:12 am

mikey-dragon

If it is not broke why change it.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 25 Jan 2016, 10:16 am

majesticimperialman wrote:mikey-dragon

If it is not broke why change it.