The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales 6 Nations Squad

+37
wales606
Shifty
JDizzle
Steffan
exile jack
wayne
Allty
Blueschief
Knowsit17
fa0019
majesticimperialman
MonkeyOwain12
RiscaGame
BigTrevsbigmac
bedfordwelsh
yappysnap
lostinwales
Dontheman2
maestegmafia
LordDowlais
TightHEAD
Gwlad
gregortree
johnrgby
Cardiff Dave
Fanster
Luckless Pedestrian
RubyGuby
gog1992
GavinDragon
True Raven
Seagultaf
chris_501
mikey_dragon
ScarletSpiderman
BamBam
munkian
41 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Wales 6 Nations Squad - Page 9 Empty Wales 6 Nations Squad

Post by munkian Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

Forwards:
Rob Evans (Scarlets), Paul James (Ospreys), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Racing 92), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Dominic Day (Bath Rugby), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Josh Turnbull (Cardiff Blues), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), James King (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (CAPT) (Cardiff Blues).
Backs:
Aled Davies (Scarlets) *, Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues) Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Priestland (Bath Rugby), Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues), Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne), Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins), Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Tom James (Cardiff Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Matthew Morgan (Bristol Rugby), Liam Williams (Scarlets).
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Wales 6 Nations Squad - Page 9 Empty Re: Wales 6 Nations Squad

Post by maestegmafia Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:00 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
True Raven wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
True Raven wrote:If he's not deemed fit enough by the physios then he shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

Liam Williams started against Connacht on the weekend and looked anything but not fit. Not having him on the bench will bite us.

Yet Gatland who has been with him all week thinks his conditioning isnt right for a test match hence hes not in the team at all.....and as SS said, Priestland will cover fullback if need be where he played quite well in his last cameo there (against England at Twickenham)

Somehow Warburton is deemed fit, and Williams who looked fit on the weekend, isn't. Strange.

Not really, it was all explained in the press earlier this week. Warburton was deemed to not need to be released last weekend, Williams and Amos were due to the fact that through experience they know when Warburton needs and does not need game time.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:47 am

Maybe Howley said "who are you gonna lump on the bench" and he just misunderstood, could be a cultural difference thing thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:34 am

RubyGuby wrote:Maybe Howley said "who are you gonna lump on the bench" and he just misunderstood, could be a cultural difference thing thumbsup

listening to their presser it makes some sense, experience counts for something i guess and best to get liam right before chucking hi back in and getting him crocked again.

And would you want Morgan being peppered by Sexton every minute?

So really, option is a solid peg and a playmaker with the ability to hit the line and pass.

Likewise Warbs or lydiate but not both just yet.

Tips often doesnt have the same game when he starts because he finds the tight harder to work in so i hope this means we are going to find another gear early doors.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:04 am

maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
True Raven wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
True Raven wrote:If he's not deemed fit enough by the physios then he shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

Liam Williams started against Connacht on the weekend and looked anything but not fit. Not having him on the bench will bite us.

Yet Gatland who has been with him all week thinks his conditioning isnt right for a test match hence hes not in the team at all.....and as SS said, Priestland will cover fullback if need be where he played quite well in his last cameo there (against England at Twickenham)

Somehow Warburton is deemed fit, and Williams who looked fit on the weekend, isn't. Strange.

Not really, it was all explained in the press earlier this week. Warburton was deemed to not need to be released last weekend, Williams and Amos were due to the fact that through experience they know when Warburton needs and does not need game time.

They're picking and choosing again, as they usually do. So maybe you're right it isn't strange in that sense. Are you the new PR guy btw? I preferred Shaun Edwards.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:17 am

Sean O'Brien is a possible absentee...! Irish Team named Friday. Their back up, the young Connacht openside Ultan Dillane would be a decent replacement.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:17 am

True Raven wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Mikey, Priestland played at 10 when he came on against England in the World Cup and did very well. Biggar moved to 15 and gave the pass that put Lloyd Williams away on the wing leading to Gareth Davies try.

I am sure that if Liam was fit he would be starting, maybe he will come in against Scotland.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:05 am

maestegmafia wrote:Sean O'Brien is a possible absentee...! Irish Team named Friday. Their back up, the young Connacht openside Ultan Dillane would be a decent replacement.

Dillane is a second row Maesteg, I'm hoping he sneaks onto the bench ahead of either Ryan or McCarthy as he offers more than both.

If SOB is out it is likely both CJ Stander or double agent Ruddock join Heaslip in the back row.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:54 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I think the philosophy he was talking about was "earning the space out wide".

And this mantra is what sees us ignore space we've created if we've done it earlier (phase wise) than we were expecting to. Instead of going wide, we give it to a forward up the middle again, giving time for the opposition defence to reorganise, and the space out wide is gone.

We seem to think that we have to truck it up a set number of times regardless of where the space is.

This earning the space out wide stuff is such BS. I get the logic but the reality is that you go wide when you can, not necessarily having driven it up phase after phase. Because that is the only way you 'earn' it, by sucking in defenders.

Look up, play what you see. We need to become less proscriptive and more creative.

Shane used to run from anywhere, using instinct, now we just have lumps who run straight or in the case of North, run until they tip over and fall not heir face. We can't win down under like that so we need Morgan and more like him to be brought on.

I dont think Morgan is as good as Shane but he is simply electric given some space so lets just give him the 15 shirt against Italy and Scotland and go form there.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:27 pm

Cuthbert, a player who hasn't had a decent game of rugby for longer than anyone can remember finally gets dropped - TO THE BENCH!

Unbelievable.

.....and the other outside back that can come on and change the game is.......Priestland.

These coaches are so much smarter than me.  I can't begin to understand them.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:39 pm

offload wrote:Cuthbert, a player who hasn't had a decent game of rugby for longer than anyone can remember finally gets dropped - TO THE BENCH!

Unbelievable.

.....and the other outside back that can come on and change the game is.......Priestland.

I've just read quotes from Cement Head, saying he sees Amos as a 15. So it makes his decision not to pick him on the bench even dafter in my opinion. I am sure Priestland could cover 15, but why run the risk of leaving yourself short, say injuries happen to Anscombe and/or Biggar?

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:15 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
offload wrote:Cuthbert, a player who hasn't had a decent game of rugby for longer than anyone can remember finally gets dropped - TO THE BENCH!

Unbelievable.

I've just read quotes from Cement Head, saying he sees Amos as a 15. So it makes his decision not to pick him on the bench even dafter in my opinion. I am sure Priestland could cover 15, but why run the risk of leaving yourself short, say injuries happen to Anscombe and/or Biggar?

Then I guess Roberts would go to 15 andNorth to centre.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:58 pm

Marshes wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Sean O'Brien is a possible absentee...! Irish Team named Friday. Their back up, the young Connacht openside Ultan Dillane would be a decent replacement.

Dillane is a second row Maesteg, I'm hoping he sneaks onto the bench ahead of either Ryan or McCarthy as he offers more than both.  

Maes showing how much rugby he watches again eh Hug

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:37 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:

Unbelievable.

Then I guess Roberts would go to 15 andNorth to centre.

Yes but what if we get injuries to Biggar, Annscome and Roberts/North?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:21 am

Gatlands comments about Tom James improving and maturing when he decided to leave Wales and play for Exeter and Tom James saying the coaches at Exeter improved his game should be a wake up call for the quality of coaching at all levels in Wales. We're trying to keep our best young talents in Wales but even Gatland admits it's best for some individuals to ply their trade outside of Wales.

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:45 am

If James improved that much then why wasn't he more of a regular at Exeter? He seemed to slip down the pecking order after some opening good games. It might just be me but I don't believe 'his game' to have altered that much since before the move either. You are right that the coaching quality across Wales is in need of a vast improvement though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:55 am

The truth is that there it's slim pickings for quality wings in Wales, so he didn't have to improve much to get in.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:01 am

To be fair though Luckless, I do agree with you about slim pickings but he is on form at the moment and for once I'm happy to see some form players picked to represent Wales for once as usually it's just been Gatlands favourites no matter how they have been playing for their regions/clubs.

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:03 am

He's a bit too Forrest Gump for my liking.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by irnbrew Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:41 am

I,ve just put on another thread Why do the Welsh think that there starting back row against Ireland will produce any miracles its the same back row that played against Australia in the world cup and did nothing against a 13 man Australian side.

irnbrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:44 am

I haven't seen anyone saying they'll produce miracles. A lot of posters have called for Warbs and Tips to start together in the past, and are now happy that their wish has come true. But miracles???

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:55 am

irnbrew wrote:I,ve just put on another thread Why do the Welsh think that there starting back row against Ireland will produce any miracles its the same back row that played against Australia in the world cup and did nothing against a 13 man Australian side.

And not sure how the back row was to blame for not scoring tries ?

The back row, however, will win penalties and Biggar will more than likely kick them for points or for touch - and the Irish are down several line out operators.

The back row have also had the better of their Irish 1st choice counterparts many a time too.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by irnbrew Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:04 am

But my point is Griff it is only 2 games ago that they did play together and produced nothing to shout about or even call for them to be united in the back row again as the Welsh supporters on here seem to clamour for.Having said that i too think Tips is an outstanding player and got man of the match playing against Ireland in the summer playing along side Lyds What does that tell you

irnbrew

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:06 am

irnbrew wrote:But my point is Griff it is only 2 games ago that they did play together and produced nothing to shout about or even call for them to be united in the back row again as the Welsh supporters on here seem to clamour for.Having said that i too think Tips is an outstanding player and got man of the match playing against Ireland in the summer playing along side Lyds What does that tell you

It tells me you really don'y know what you are babbling about and are just on the wind up.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:08 am

That it was one game. Warburton's had several great games alongside Lydiate too. Warburton and Tupric together destroyed an England team going for a grand slam. you cant judge them based on a single game.... the fact is though Ireland have no one that is even close to the quality of Hooper and Pocock

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:15 am

True Raven wrote:That it was one game.  Warburton's had several great games alongside Lydiate too.  Warburton and Tupric together destroyed an England team going for a grand slam.  you cant judge them based on a single game.... the fact is though Ireland have no one that is even close to the quality of Hooper and Pocock

Lydiate and Warburton also knocked Ireland out of the 2011 RWC.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:51 am

I get what inbrew is saying. Although I believe Tips is in form right now I find him to be quite overhyped, especially since that game... I've seen it across other forums, people thinking that Warbs and Tips starting together will work miracles on a weekly basis when the reality is that Lydiate, Warbs and Faletau is still our best option. Hopefully Tipuric comes into his own in this tournament should he get more game time.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9