The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys 2015/16 Season

+26
George Carlin
bedfordwelsh
Seagultaf
Stone Motif
BamBam
HammerofThunor
chris_501
Welly
MonkeyOwain12
Allty
Steffan
Cardiff Dave
Shifty
2ndtimeround
Marshes
glamorganalun
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
LordDowlais
Blueschief
PhilBB
True Raven
ScarletSpiderman
VinceWLB
exile jack
wayne
30 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Ospreys 2015/16 Season - Page 10 Empty Ospreys 2015/16 Season

Post by wayne Thu 18 Feb 2016, 3:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

True Raven wrote:I'm sure King said he's happy to play anywhere in the back row he just won't play anymore in the 2nd row so hopefully that experiment has come and gone.

It looks like Fia will be starting tomorrow if the training session was anything to go by as he was doing reps with the first team so Jarvis should be planted on the bench
So much for what King wants then TR, ridiculous selection, as for your second sentence correct hope we don't see Jarvis until at least the 70th minute.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Ospreys 2015/16 Season - Page 10 Empty Re: Ospreys 2015/16 Season

Post by Stone Motif Mon 30 May 2016, 11:40 am

George Carlin wrote:
I always expect a Welsh side to be hammering down the back end of the season looking likely for a play off place and not to see that this season was, well, a bit weird to be honest.

It's going to take 3-5 years before you see that consistently. The damage done by the Rogering can't be underestimated.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 31 May 2016, 5:37 am

Thanks everyone. OK

The other thing that I am interested in is what other regions think about the rise of Scarlets. Is this a welcome thing (as Connacht rising was for Irish rugby) or does this raise suspicions that some regions are supported better than others?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 31 May 2016, 8:29 am

George Carlin wrote:Thanks everyone. OK

The other thing that I am interested in is what other regions think about the rise of Scarlets. Is this a welcome thing (as Connacht rising was for Irish rugby) or does this raise suspicions that some regions are supported better than others?

If Gatland has a lob on for anyone it's the fish hawks
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 31 May 2016, 9:46 am

George Carlin wrote:Just to try and segue away from any todger comparison exercises that may, or indeed may not, be happening on this thread at the moment - can Os fans offer a relatively compact explanation as to what went wrong for them this season?

I am not being funny at all - I am just not close enough to Welsh rugby to know.

I always expect a Welsh side to be hammering down the back end of the season looking likely for a play off place and not to see that this season was, well, a bit weird to be honest.

One stat will help you:

The Os won more points outside of the international windows than did Connacht.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 31 May 2016, 9:47 am

What do you mean by 'better supported'?
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Tue 31 May 2016, 12:49 pm

Well, it's been a while since I've visited the site.
Again, I'm reminded why. Some truly idiotic posts.

Nevertheless,I'll post some thoughts on the Ospreys.

Couldn't agree more with you Breadvan. But I also think we're lacking a lot of quality outside 10.
I have heard a murmur of a new DoR. Would be very interested to see who if we did appoint?

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 31 May 2016, 1:39 pm

I'm not overly sure it has been a rise as such, a few seasons back the Scarlets made the play-offs. I think this season, it may have looked like a rise, due to the other all not really turning up at the races, as far as the pro12 went. I honestly think next season it will be business as usual, the Ospreys being the top region, and then the Blues and Scarlets contending for the second best region (even though it is no longer of any relevance).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 01 Jun 2016, 10:21 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

I'm not overly sure it has been a rise as such, a few seasons back the Scarlets made the play-offs.  I think this season, it may have looked like a rise, due to the other all not really turning up at the races, as far as the pro12 went.  I honestly think next season it will be business as usual, the Ospreys being the top region, and then the Blues and Scarlets contending for the second best region (even though it is no longer of any relevance).
Thanks for the compliment SS, our defence which on occasions has resembled a collander this past season, should radically improve under somebody who actually knows what he is doing, unless we get in somebody above Tandy, or someone with real expertise in scrum and lineout play, those areas still won't be strong enough, and if he carries on selecting back row players in the second row, things will still not be good enough, there is good news in the fact that Jarvis has left, but that has been compounded with the signing of Rhodri Jones as a tight head, which was shown again on Sunday to be useless in the scrummaging department, at least our 2 best tight heads are not Welsh qualified and if  they stay injury free we should be relatively comfortable.
I think a lot will depend on when we get our Internationals back from the NZ tour and if they are injury free and how the early season fixtures are set out, when Brad Davis the defence coach was signed it was mentioned there would be other signings, whether it was to the coaching department or/and a back three player, these would really add to our team, (Dan Evans has played in every single match of note for us since signing) we have been very fortunate in that he has not had a single significant injury since coming to Ospreylia.
I know this past season has been very disappointing in some respects, but with the emergence of some really exciting talent that has had some invaluable game time, it should stand them in good stead for next and future seasons, if we can hang on to Underhill for his full 3 years as he has said he would, in a recent interview, it will allow Tips full time to recover and also give him time off, hopefully the Canadians should be raring to go, and if recent rumours are true, that Engelbrecht feels he owes us and wants to come back when his Japanese contract ends, centre and wing will be covered pretty well, a full compliment of Beck, Watkin, Engelbrecht, Fonotia and Matavesi will be fine.
SS, if we stay relatively injury at normal proportions, I also think normal service will be resumed, but it won't take much to derail those assumptions.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 01 Jun 2016, 11:33 am

Do Ospreys fans also believe that they have a chance in Europe's 2nd tier? If they aren't too injury stricken by the time the tournament rolls around then I believe they have a good chance of topping their group and progressing from there.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Wed 01 Jun 2016, 11:38 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Do Ospreys fans also believe that they have a chance in Europe's 2nd tier? If they aren't too injury stricken by the time the tournament rolls around then I believe they have a good chance of topping their group and progressing from there.

Can't we wait until June 29th for those kind of thoughts?

Look at Cardiff's group last year, for example. And they'd have got out of that but for one horrific refereeing performance.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 01 Jun 2016, 11:43 am

Phil, so that's at least 3 regions that should be progressing in Europe next season then?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Wed 01 Jun 2016, 11:51 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Phil, so that's at least 3 regions that should be progressing in Europe next season then?

As noted, let's see the Groups first.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 01 Jun 2016, 7:01 pm

Just to add the draw for RCC2 takes place at Neuchatel on the 29th of June, and last year the List of Guinness Pro 12 fixtures came out in mid July, so not long to go.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 01 Jun 2016, 9:22 pm

Lloyd Ashley has signed a 3 year extension to his contract, he already had 1 year left on his existing contract, this new one will take him through to the end of the 18/19 season, in the announcement it is mentioned he is widely respected by both the youngsters coming through and the established players, it also states that he will be in the group of established players like AWJ and Bradley Davies and he will help with the youngsters improvements, naming the likes of Thornton, Beard and Dodd. No mention whatsoever was given to Bernardo, so obviously he is going or gone. Why no announcement was made is mystifying.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 17 Jun 2016, 7:24 am

wayne wrote:Already posted on Dragons thread, poster has said we have signed Alex Jeffries from Newport RFC, as a tight head option, seems very tall for a Tight head 6'4", then if it stops Rhodri Jones from being embarrassed in that position it can only be good news.
This has now been confirmed on our website, he along with James Ratti Welsh U18 International have signed development contracts with the Ospreys, good luck to both, but with plenty of work to do.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 17 Jun 2016, 11:15 am

Surprised at that, but if you can give him better opportunities to develop then good luck to him.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 17 Jun 2016, 11:35 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Surprised at that, but if you can give him better opportunities to develop then good luck to him.
Mikey what surprised me about this signing is the fact Alex came through the Dragons pathway (according to our website) played 70 times for Newport RFC scoring 7 tries in the process, and is only 21 years of age, and he has not been snapped up either as a Development or a full contract with the Dragons, with his size he could be fashioned into a first class Tight Head, whether we have the expertise to fulfill his potential only time will tell.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 17 Jun 2016, 1:53 pm

How many first class tight heads are six foot four?
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 22 Jun 2016, 10:31 am

Good news that Olly Cracknell has signed a 1 year extension to his present contract that still had 1 year to run, unless Sam Underhill is called up in the Autumn, we are virtually covered for the next 2 seasons in the back row, unless we have another catastrophic injury list.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 22 Jun 2016, 7:32 pm

PhilBB wrote:How many first class tight heads are six foot four?

Exactly this, but I doubt it will stop Wayne farting higher than his own arse.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 22 Jun 2016, 9:03 pm

Stone Motif wrote:

All the best there.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 22 Jun 2016, 9:05 pm

Stone Motif wrote:

Thanks for quoting the idiot, I've now had to read his tripe.

Easily answered Carl Hayman,  I see you're back in your normal establishment.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 22 Jun 2016, 9:31 pm

wayne wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Dan Cole is a whole inch shorter at six foot three.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 23 Jun 2016, 4:11 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
wayne wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

First class props we were on about mind

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 23 Jun 2016, 4:20 am

wayne wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

What's an establishment? Maybe it's a private joke? Why the personal attacks too? Attack the post, not the poster.

Not that easily answered as Phil asked how many and you named one. How many needs a bit more of a definitive than one, unless that was your only answer. Truth is not many tall props are good.

Btw, we let Jeffries go as we have Leon Brown in the same position coming through. Maybe outside your bubble you may have heard of him too?

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 23 Jun 2016, 7:28 am

So Leon Brown is first class and Dan Cole isn't, laughing when Leon isn't even the Wales U20 first choice, attack the post not the poster? who used the toilet language NOT ME. You didn't let him go, you didn't even give him a chance.
Phil knows he's on my ignore list, I only see what he posts when he's quoted, so don't quote him, it was only done to get a reaction, I obliged, and just a little observation just for you, BAAAAAAAH

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 23 Jun 2016, 9:49 am

Leon is 6'2 and I believe has another year of U20 rugby left, so naturally he'd be behind the very promising lewis.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 23 Jun 2016, 12:03 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Leon is 6'2 and I believe has another year of U20 rugby left, so naturally he'd be behind the very promising lewis.
Well lets hope he doesn't grow another 2" as he will be consigned to the scrapheap according to some, as for his age, it didn't stop our scrum half this year and people like Owen Watkin last year as they have and had other years to get better.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 23 Jun 2016, 2:09 pm

Well it's a little different for a TH prop. Lee struggled at this level for a while before becoming a Wales international. Is there any team in world rugby who has an U20 starting regularly at TH apart from the U20 teams?

It's still a shame Watkin was left out of the JWC, our backline has been terrible at passing and defending, just terrible overall.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 23 Jun 2016, 2:27 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:
wayne wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

First class props we were on about mind

You not watched any of the England internationals this summer then?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 23 Jun 2016, 9:47 pm

Dan Evans has signed a 3 year extension to his contract, keeping him with us until after the 18/19 season, Dan is the 2nd quickest in our history to reach 50 appearances and has not missed a single Guinness League game and has only missed one European game in his time with us.
Excellent signing, could do with a backup only Sam Davies is available, whether we try to play Dafydd Howells there is open to question, because basically we have played him on the wing, whereas the Wales U20s have played him at 15 a number of times.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10