The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby League News

+4
The Beast
George Hotel1895
aucklandlaurie
Luke
8 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Rugby League News - Page 7 Empty Rugby League News

Post by Luke Fri 22 Apr 2016, 12:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

The dates and venues of the 4 nation's have been announced. They are -

Fri 28th Oct - Scotland v Australia - Craven park Hull.

Sun 30th Oct - England v New Zealand - John Smiths stadium Huddersfield.

Sat 5th Nov - England v Scotland & Australia v New Zealand - Ricoh Arena Coventry.

Fri 11th Nov - Scotland v New Zealand - Derwent Park Workington.

Sun 13th Nov - England v Australia - Olympic Park London.

Sun 20th Nov - final at Anfield Liverpool.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Rugby League News - Page 7 Empty Re: Rugby League News

Post by The Beast Tue 02 Mar 2021, 5:16 pm

After an outstanding career including a SL winners medal and England honours Shaun Lunt announces his retirement. Good luck to him in the future.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 07 Mar 2021, 7:39 am

George Hotel1895 wrote:
Luke wrote:
The Beast wrote:Steve Price announces that he will leave Warrington at the end of the season.  I would not be surprised if he goes before particularly if they have any type of bad run of form.

His contract runs out at the end of the season. So think it was more him getting in first.
Jump before he was pushed in my opinion

Agreed. some talk of Shaun Wane taking the job. If that has any legs it does not IMO bode well for England's World Cup preparations.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 22 Mar 2021, 6:08 pm

Daryl Powell announces that he will leave Castleford at the end of 2021.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Tue 30 Mar 2021, 8:05 pm

The Beast wrote:Daryl Powell announces that he will leave Castleford at the end of 2021.
Some very strong rumours saying he will take over at Warrington

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 02 Apr 2021, 2:53 pm

I am sure there will be a queue for his services, who wouldn't want him at their club.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Fri 02 Apr 2021, 6:25 pm

The Beast wrote:I am sure there will be a queue for his services, who wouldn't want him at their club.
Exactly, but i would say at this juncture with Price leaving the Wolves at the end of the season my money would be on him joining the Wolves, but as we know things can alter

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 06 Apr 2021, 6:00 pm

George Hotel1895 wrote:
The Beast wrote:I am sure there will be a queue for his services, who wouldn't want him at their club.
Exactly, but i would say at this juncture with Price leaving the Wolves at the end of the season my money would be on him joining the Wolves, but as we know things can alter

Spot on GH. Powell announced today as Wire coach for 3 years from 2022. Like you I would not be hugely surprised dependant on how the season pans out if Price goes before the end of the year and maybe Powell starts early.

The Beast

George Hotel1895 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 07 Apr 2021, 7:29 pm

The Beast wrote:
George Hotel1895 wrote:

Spot on GH.  Powell announced today as Wire coach for 3 years from 2022.  Like you I would  not be hugely surprised dependant on how the season pans out if Price goes before the end of the year and maybe Powell starts early.
I think Powell has become stale at the Tigers and needed a new challenge and this is it and the Tigers will benefit as a club as he will want to go out on a high with them

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 10 Apr 2021, 8:47 pm

Not really sure to make of this.

London have complained about the fact they were supposed to go to Toulouse as they are a full time club, and part time clubs don't have to. They have refused to go (Not fully sure of the reasons), and Toulouse have been given a 24-0 walk over win (from what I've heard).
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat 10 Apr 2021, 8:52 pm

Luke wrote:Not really sure to make of this.

London have complained about the fact they were supposed to go to Toulouse as they are a full time club, and part time clubs don't have to. They have refused to go (Not fully sure of the reasons), and Toulouse have been given a 24-0 walk over win (from what I've heard).
Didn't Leeds and Wigan refuse to play the Catalans last season in France?

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 28 Apr 2021, 7:20 am

Lee Radford will take over Castleford next season.

Interesting choice, no doubt he did okay at FC. But he's not who I thought Cas would want.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu 29 Apr 2021, 7:45 pm

Luke wrote:Lee Radford will take over Castleford next season.

Interesting choice, no doubt he did okay at FC. But he's not who I thought Cas would want.
I heard they was very interested in bring in James Ford from York, Obviously i was wrong

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 05 May 2021, 3:47 pm

Wigan's Tony Clubb has been banned for 8 games, after calling Andre Savelio a Polynesian c***.
The fact he's not said anything even an explanation or apology is a more taking factor of the guy to me.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 05 May 2021, 7:48 pm

Luke wrote:Wigan's Tony Clubb has been banned for 8 games, after calling Andre Savelio a Polynesian c***.
The fact he's not said anything even an explanation or apology is a more taking factor of the guy to me.
Why he didn't say anything is beyond me on both counts. No defence of his actions or an apology

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 21 Jun 2021, 6:59 pm

Salford Red Devils Dan Sarginson receives 3 match ban
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/57559378

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Wed 30 Jun 2021, 9:10 pm

Oldham have "parted company" aka sacked Coach Matt Diskin with immediate effect. The club are second bottom in the Championship, 2 wins from 11 games.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat 03 Jul 2021, 7:09 pm

The Beast wrote:Oldham have "parted company" aka sacked Coach Matt Diskin with immediate effect.  The club are second bottom in the Championship, 2 wins from 11 games.
Will any coach do any better as I hear there isn't much of a budget to work with.
Whoever takes over i really wish them the best, and certainly Oldham have gone downhill at a rapid pace since leaving Watersheddings

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 05 Jul 2021, 6:42 pm

Surprise news at London where Head Coach Danny Ward leaves by mutual consent.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 05 Jul 2021, 8:00 pm

The Beast wrote:Surprise news at London where Head Coach Danny Ward leaves by mutual consent.
The rumour mill saying he was going to leave them at the end of the season anyway, but the tanking by Fev hastened his departure. He won't be out of work very long

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 06 Jul 2021, 8:44 am

George Hotel1895 wrote:
The Beast wrote:Oldham have "parted company" aka sacked Coach Matt Diskin with immediate effect.  The club are second bottom in the Championship, 2 wins from 11 games.
Will any coach do any better as I hear there isn't much of a budget to work with.
Whoever takes over i really wish them the best, and certainly Oldham have gone downhill at a rapid pace since leaving Watersheddings

I suspect you are right I would be shocked if their player budget was much more than £250k and yes moving around different stadiums is clearly not the way to be successful.

The surprise news (to me at least and possibly others) is that Brian McDermott has joined in a coaching consultancy role.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Tue 06 Jul 2021, 7:04 pm

The Beast wrote:
George Hotel1895 wrote:

I suspect you are right I would be shocked if their player budget was much more than £250k and yes moving around different stadiums is clearly not the way to be successful.

The surprise news (to me at least and possibly others) is that Brian McDermott has joined in a coaching consultancy role.
The rumor mill saying he's testing the waters at Oldham and the rumor mill is also saying he's had an offer to coach London again next season. I guess it all depends what's the best offer and if he has any offers from Super League clubs

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Wed 07 Jul 2021, 5:33 pm

League 1 side Hunslet have sacked coach Gary Thornton. Sunday reverse at Coventry apparently being the final straw for their board.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 26 Jul 2021, 3:14 pm

RTS to quit Rugby League in the pursuit of playing for the AB's

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/tuivasa-shock-warriors-star-quits-nrl-and-heads-home-20210726-p58d0w.html

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 26 Jul 2021, 5:36 pm

Leeds Rhino's relieve Luke Gale captaincy role for acting in a way "not aligned to team trademarks".

A new way of describing off the field issues to me.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 26 Jul 2021, 9:48 pm

The Beast wrote:Leeds Rhino's relieve Luke Gale captaincy role for acting in a way "not aligned to team trademarks".

A new way of describing off the field issues to me.
A lot of conjecture and more than one thing says the rumors, but what?

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 31 Jul 2021, 3:57 pm

George Hotel1895 wrote:RTS to quit Rugby League in the pursuit of playing for the AB's

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/tuivasa-shock-warriors-star-quits-nrl-and-heads-home-20210726-p58d0w.html

He played a lot of Rugby Union in his teenage years, even to the level of playing for the New Zealand Seciondary Schools team. But playing for the ABs is a different story.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 04 Aug 2021, 2:08 am

It wouldn't be rugby league,if after a couple of years there isn't another round of how to restructure  the sport. This latest one (believed to be being pushed by sky), is fantastic as it features 2 different restructures in 2 years.

So the plan is, to not relegate a side this year and promote to championship side's and having 14 sides in SL for next year (2022 season). Then relegate 4 sides and have a 10 team SL from 2023 season.

Now I actually don't have a problem with the 2022 season plans. It makes sense, gives clubs 2 more home games for extra money. And is what I believe is the way forward. The only issue is what it does to the championship and how that restructures, but otherwise it's a good idea.
I do have a problem with the 2023 plans. It makes no sense to bring clubs up for a season, in what is already a very tough time money wise for the sport losing 4 home games doesn't make sense. To restructure after a season is poor, and sort of gives the impression that the sport have no clue how to run it.  And 10 teams is not enough, we have 12 at the moment.

Now it should be stressed this is only in discussion stage at the moment. And hopefully that's as far as it stays.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 08 Aug 2021, 7:28 pm

My understanding is that it is 2 divisions of 10. I do agree that on this basis a 14 team SL in 2022 does not make sense however I suspect this is to remove the loop fixture system which I don't think anyone likes.

There is of course a massive issue with regard to how to select the top 20 teams (funded) throwing the remaining 16 who will receive no funding under the bus. No-one likes licensing but what if Bradford for example have a horrible run of form/injuries next year and are thereafter effectively fubar. I can't see Sky being too thrilled.

This does appear to be Sky led but IMO it goes back to two major decisions 1, to move away from the Super 8's/million pound game which attracted very good TV audience figures for the broadcaster and of course the decision to allow SL clubs to move away from the RFL.

Sky have made their position clear, we now have £15m less on a 2 year contract. Two years to re-organise, fewer, better quality games, bring viewers back or they are out.

There is I understand a Hull FC alternative proposal, a more simple 14 funded clubs and nothing for the rest. Simple but they are asking clubs to vote themselves out of existence.

On a side note I keep hearing that it unfair to relegate a SL side this year. With great respect, I feel for them and in particular the fans but Leigh as it stands are 0 - 14 conceding an average of nearly 40 points per game, I am not really seeing the argument. Again that is as things stand but they are not really threatening a run of form at the moment.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 08 Aug 2021, 7:33 pm

Featherstone.

are deducted 2 competition points and fined £10k for allegedly breaching Covid lockdown protocols in March.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 09 Aug 2021, 2:59 pm

The Beast wrote:My understanding is that it is 2 divisions of 10.  I do agree that on this basis a 14 team SL in 2022 does not make sense however I suspect this is to remove the loop fixture system which I don't think anyone likes.

There is of course a massive issue with regard to how to select the top 20 teams (funded) throwing the remaining 16 who will receive no funding under the bus. No-one likes licensing but what if Bradford for example have a horrible run of form/injuries next year and are thereafter effectively fubar. I can't see Sky being too thrilled.

This does appear to be Sky led but IMO it goes back to two major decisions 1, to move away from the Super 8's/million pound game which attracted very good TV audience figures for the broadcaster and of course the decision to allow SL clubs to move away from the RFL.

Sky have made their position clear, we now have £15m less on a 2 year contract.  Two years to re-organise,  fewer, better quality games, bring viewers back or they are out.

There is I understand a Hull FC alternative proposal, a more simple 14 funded clubs and nothing for the rest.  Simple but they are asking clubs to vote themselves out of existence.

On a side note I keep hearing that it unfair to relegate a SL side this year.  With great respect, I feel for them and in particular the fans but Leigh as it stands are 0 - 14 conceding an average of nearly 40 points per game, I am not really seeing the argument.  Again that is as things stand but they are not really threatening a run of form at the moment.

The only reason you don't relegate Leigh is if they do go to 14 clubs, otherwise I'm with you.
As for the structure, I think 14 in both leagues with 12 in  league 1 and New clubs joining them is the way forward. 
But until we get a proper international game going, we will always be seen as a small club game. And not get the interest and sponsorship required.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 09 Aug 2021, 7:11 pm

The Beast wrote:My understanding is that it is 2 divisions of 10.  I do agree that on this basis a 14 team SL in 2022 does not make sense however I suspect this is to remove the loop fixture system which I don't think anyone likes.

Sky have made their position clear, we now have £15m less on a 2 year contract.  Two years to re-organise,  fewer, better quality games, bring viewers back or they are out.

There is I understand a Hull FC alternative proposal, a more simple 14 funded clubs and nothing for the rest.  Simple but they are asking clubs to vote themselves out of existence.

On a side note I keep hearing that it unfair to relegate a SL side this year.  With great respect, I feel for them and in particular the fans but Leigh as it stands are 0 - 14 conceding an average of nearly 40 points per game, I am not really seeing the argument.  Again that is as things stand but they are not really threatening a run of form at the moment.
Is there enough money in the game to cover that?

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 10 Aug 2021, 7:57 pm

George Hotel1895 wrote:

Is there enough money in the game to cover that?

Funding for 20 rather than 36, maybe? It is going to come down to how many the game can afford or how many clubs the game can afford to lose?

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 12 Aug 2021, 6:21 pm

Next season's challenge cup final will be held at Tottenham stadium rather than Wembley.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 14 Aug 2021, 9:24 am

Chris Chester has been removed from his role as Head Coach at Wakefield. I never like to see this but it did seem inevitable.

Brian McDermott and Danny Ward rumoured to be in the running for the vacant role, interim coach Willie Poaching I am sure if interested will be high on the list.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 14 Aug 2021, 3:58 pm

It seems as though SL will remain a 12 club division for next year, with the bottom side relegated and the winner of the championship million pound game promoted. 

As for Chris Chester, I agree Beast. It has seemed inevitable for at least a couple of seasons.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 29 Aug 2021, 4:50 pm

Shocking news as a referee has been assaulted by a player in an Amateur game (Milford v Oulton Raiders). It has been reported that a Milford player was sin binned then sent off for dissent when the incident occurred resulting in a broken nose for the referee.

IF convicted, I assume a criminal record, perhaps some help if necessary and life time ban for the person concerned.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 31 Aug 2021, 7:58 pm

Head coach Adrian Lam will leave Wigan at the end of the season.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 01 Sep 2021, 1:37 pm

The Beast wrote:Head coach Adrian Lam will leave Wigan at the end of the season.

Given how poor they've been (last season they weren't great, but had some exceptional players turning it on week in week out), this is really not a suprise.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 01 Sep 2021, 3:26 pm

It's been confirmed that next years SL will be 12 teams, and that Leigh have been relegated to the championship (but will get parachute payments).
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 22 Sep 2021, 4:16 pm

London Broncos new coach will be Jermaine Coleman on a part time basis, after he moved across from London Skolars.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 22 Sep 2021, 4:31 pm

Congratulations to

The Leeds Rhinos wheelchair team, and St Helens women's team on there respective grand finals wins.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 22 Sep 2021, 4:40 pm

As per usual, with the season ending there has been a raft of retirements. Just a couple I'd like to highlight.

Michael Shenton, who apart from 2 years at Saints, played the rest of his career at Castleford. An extremely talented center, who was strangely underrated. And should have played more international games.

Rob Worrincy, a talented, fast and very hardworking winger. Who bounced around in the lower leagues always giving a 100%.

And Liam Finn, who played the majority in the lower leagues, with a few years in SL. Not the flashest, or quickest half back. But again always gave 100%, often choose the right pass. And deadly acute goalkicker, and great open field kicker too.

Good luck to them, and everyone else who has or is about to retire.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 22 Sep 2021, 4:54 pm

Some international rugby (yes) to look forward to.

Sat Oct 23rd - France v England - perpignan 3.30pm (bst).

Sat Oct 23rd - France women v England Women perpignan 1pm (bst).

Wed 10th Nov - England wheelchair v France wheelchair - Medway park Gillingham 7.30pm.

Sat 13th Nov - England wheelchair v France wheelchair - Medway Park Gillingham 6pm.

Fri 15th Oct - England Knights v Jamaica- Castleford 7.45pm.

These ones the times haven't been announced.

Fri 29th Oct- Scotland v Jamaica- Featherstone.

Sun 17th Oct- Wales Women v Ireland Women - Colwyn Bay.

Sat 16th Oct- Wales wheelchair v Ireland wheelchair.

Sat 30th Oct- Wales wheelchair v Scotland wheelchair.

Both the Wales wheelchair games are at Glyndwr university Wrexham.

And on the 2nd Oct Germany are playing Holland in Dusseldorf.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu 23 Sep 2021, 4:30 pm

Luke wrote:As per usual,  with the season ending there has been a raft of retirements.  Just a couple I'd like to highlight.

Michael Shenton, who apart from 2 years at Saints, played the rest of his career at Castleford.  An extremely talented center, who was strangely underrated. And should have played more international games.

Rob Worrincy, a talented, fast and very hardworking winger. Who bounced around in the lower leagues always giving a 100%.

And Liam Finn, who played the majority in the lower leagues, with a few years in SL. Not the flashest, or quickest half back. But again always gave 100%, often choose the right pass. And deadly acute goalkicker, and great open field kicker too.

Good  luck to them, and everyone else who has or is about to retire.

Very much echo those comments. I see Ben Flower also hanging up his boots, sadly to be remembered for the Grand Final incident but a fine player nonetheless.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu 23 Sep 2021, 4:32 pm

Richard Marshall leaves his Head Coaching position at Salford via Mutual Consent.

Willie Poching, following some much improved performances by Wakefield has earnt himself the same role at Belle Vue.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu 23 Sep 2021, 4:33 pm

James Roby has retired from International Rugby League. A stellar career, a real shame it could not end with a World Cup Final appearance.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 05 Oct 2021, 3:00 pm

Chris Chester has been appointed head of rugby at Leigh.

And Michael Shenton bas been appointed as head of emerging talent at Hull FC.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 05 Oct 2021, 5:10 pm

Congratulations to Penrith, who beat South Sydney to become the nrl champions for 2021.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 07 Oct 2021, 4:56 am

Premier sports will be the new home of championship rugby. With a live game each week, all the summer bash games and some challenge cup games.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 10 Oct 2021, 2:15 pm

Congratulations to St. Helens, completing a hat trick of SL grand final wins with a very tight win v Catalans.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next