The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

+38
4putt
ralphjohn69
owen10ozzy
Fernando
Diggers
pedro
Eyetoldyouso
Roller_Coaster
NedB-H
LadyPutt
Faldono1fan
monty junior
kouchi
Be_the_ball
Born Slippy
navyblueshorts
John Cregan
1GrumpyGolfer
SmithersJones
AlciG
beninho
sirbenson
raycastleunited
MontysMerkin
JAS
Plunky
Shotrock
wiretapper
GPB
robopz
Seve76
super_realist
I'm never wrong
Davie
TRUSSMAN66
Mad for Chelsea
McLaren
kwinigolfer
42 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 18 Empty This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2016, 1:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

There . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 18 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by super_realist Sat 29 Sep 2018, 6:34 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

Not sure I agree that it has been pretty good.  I know you hate the comparison to stroke play but you get the feeling quite a lot of the players would have missed the cut if they were in the some form on a tournament week.

Mac, why do you keep missing the point? FORGET anyone's score, all that matters is that you score lower than the opposition in terms to how that wins you holes. I've told you three times now I think that you don't need to go searching for birdies and eagles if they aren't required (and if the course and pin positions won't allow).

Are you sure you've ever really played golf? If you have it's no wonder you've never been any good with such a lack of understanding of how it works.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 18 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by Guest Sat 29 Sep 2018, 6:44 pm

Rory McIlroy v Justin Thomas
Paul Casey v Brooks Koepka
Justin Rose v Webb Simpson
Jon Rahm v Tiger Woods
Tommy Fleetwood v Tony Finau
Ian Poulter v Dustin Johnson
Thorbjorn Olesen v Jordan Spieth
Sergio Garcia v Rickie Fowler
Francesco Molinari v Phil Mickelson
Tyrrell Hatton v Patrick Reed
Henrik Stenson v Bubba Watson
Alex Noren v Bryson DeChambeau

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 29 Sep 2018, 6:56 pm

McIlroy never had a particularly good RC record. I hope we don’t fall into the same trap as the Americans have done in the past with Tiger and Phil, and rely too much on him, playing him in all the sessions, and with ever changing partners. If we can rest Rose surely we can rest McIlroy. I’m not arguing agaist going with the same foursomes lineup again today, it’s more the notion that McIlroy somehow gets rated by a different book, just like Tiger does/did.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 29 Sep 2018, 7:21 pm

Hard to believe that Poulter lost both his matches today!

and Simpson and Watson won their match (in 4somes!)

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 29 Sep 2018, 7:30 pm

Webb simpson under utilized by america.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 29 Sep 2018, 7:32 pm

GPB wrote:Hard to believe that Poulter lost both his matches today!

and Simpson and Watson won their match (in 4somes!)

Thought Poults played OK, he didn't exactly have partners in great form and was playing against the best team the US had.
And Webby holed a tournament's worth of snakes, and played one of the shots of the tournament - having said which I don't remember Sergio & Noren holing anything.

I would have preferred Casey leading off, someone that can better be expected to find fairways and greens - would almost have "hidden" Rory, so hope I'm proved very, very wrong on that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 29 Sep 2018, 7:53 pm

I agree kwini. Playing Rory first is like regarding him as being some kind of a deity. Should he lose it will trickle down negatively through the ranks. This is exactly the mistake the Americans have always done, culminating when they infamously paired Woods and Mickelson.

I’d rather play an under the radar guy first, Casey is a good shout.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 29 Sep 2018, 7:59 pm

I’d have thought using that rationale Molinari might have been good to send out first. I’d like to see Rory go well though, he’s clearly got the goods to blow anyone away.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 29 Sep 2018, 8:07 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:

Thought Poults played OK, he didn't exactly have partners in great form and was playing against the best team the US had.

Earlier this thread someone opined:

GPB wrote:Match play is not always about how you play, it is often about how your opponent plays

That statement got dismissed. And When I said that Poulter (in 2012) played against opponents that were not in form, that statement also was dismissed and ridiculed.

Poulter has gone 1-3-2 in his last six matches. Earlier I said the aura around Poulter has lost its luster.

kwinigolfer wrote:And Webby holed a tournament's worth of snakes, and played one of the shots of the tournament - having said which I don't remember Sergio & Noren holing anything.

That's funny! and also funny how I got flamed for nitpicking Poulter's wins!

FWIW, Woods has gone 0-6-1 in his last 7 matches. He sucks. Not sure of the last time someone has gone winless in seven straight matches.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 29 Sep 2018, 9:10 pm

GPB,
I was trying to respond to your comment that "hard to believe Poulter lost both his matches today"!
All I'm saying is: No it isn't!

I wonder if Furyk might say later in life that almost having to make Mickelson & Woods as wildcard choices put him into something of a compromised position, beholden to his peers on a course that he must have known wouldn't suit them?
Not sure having one's former teammates in the team you're captaining is that great an idea - something that Europe might want to think about with Harrington and Westwood no doubt thinking they're in line for an upcoming captaincy with the probability that Sergio will still be around.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 29 Sep 2018, 9:24 pm

I was trying to respond to your comment that "hard to believe Poulter lost both his matches today"!

Wouldn't that be akin to saying it is not Tiger's fault for going 0-3 when he had to play Moliwood in all three of his matches?

=========

Sergio better not be relying on a Captains pick when Harrington is the Captain. Shocked

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 29 Sep 2018, 9:29 pm

Tiger played poorly, whatever he contends to the contrary, and his partners played worse.
For some reason he helps to inspire partners in the Pres Cup, but has no rapport with them in the RC. Strange, but also imagine we'll hear his body is knackered. Just as his retrospective complaints post Medinah.

Re: Sergio & Padraig: Quite.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 30 Sep 2018, 12:46 am

kwinigolfer wrote:
I wonder if Furyk might say later in life that almost having to make Mickelson & Woods as wildcard choices put him into something of a compromised position, beholden to his peers on a course that he must have known wouldn't suit them?
Not sure having one's former teammates in the team you're captaining is that great an idea - something that Europe might want to think about with Harrington and Westwood no doubt thinking they're in line for an upcoming captaincy with the probability that Sergio will still be around.
Missed all of this afternoon’s second session with a wedding, but this jumps out as the most pertinent point. Always felt as though Furyk almost couldn’t pick anyone else over Tiger and Phil, because of the simple fact of being picked over Tiger or Phil would wreck your game.

Furyk has had some questionable pair still but his singles are spot on. Europe need a win in the first four, if they don’t get that they’re in trouble,

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 30 Sep 2018, 8:06 am

Im naturally pessimistic,so I have concerns they will blow this today and the best Americans will finally show up. Im sure tiger wins, he tends to in singles. Its gonna be close.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 30 Sep 2018, 8:40 am

kwinigolfer wrote:GPB,

It's a good point Kwini. Furyk was undoubtedly under pressure to pick America's two worst RC players of all time on the basis of their names and reputations in the game. No one even seemed to consider that they cost about 2-3 points for every point they've gained. Moobs especially looked like he just couldn't be bothered.

Putting them in the team has been easy meat for Europe, and Deshambles has been the flake I thought he would be.

On the European side Rahm has been a let down and it's a shame that Olesen was the only European left with one match going into the singles.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 30 Sep 2018, 10:59 am

Only two matches have reached the 18th so far . . . . .

Reckon it's crucial that Rory, Casey & Rose come up with at least 1 1/2 points - keep that blue on the top of the board.

Not necessarily pessimistic, just nervous! Can't wait!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 30 Sep 2018, 11:22 am

Predictions today:

Thomas beats Rory
Koepka beats Casey
Rose beats Simpson
Woods beats Rahm
Fleetwood beats Finau
Poulter beats Johnson
Speith beats Olesen
Fowler beats Garcia
Molinari beats Mickelson
Reed beats Hatton
Stenson beats Watson
BDC beats Noren

Europe hang on to win 15-13.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 30 Sep 2018, 11:45 am

Hoping that Olesen & Rahm get on the scoreboard #teameffort

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Sun 30 Sep 2018, 11:50 am

I’m surprisingly not all that nervous considering how I’ve felt at previous Ryder Cups. I think it may be because I didn’t expect us to be in this position. A few reds on the board will change that though no doubt...

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Sun 30 Sep 2018, 11:53 am

It would be nice Kwini although not really necessary if we win. Peter Hanson was the only European not to score at Medinah but only old golf bores like me remembers these things

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 30 Sep 2018, 12:04 pm

Europeans (other than Rahm) not playing the first well. Fortunately the Americans seem to be equally inept at the second!

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 30 Sep 2018, 12:06 pm

wiretapper wrote:It would be nice Kwini although not really necessary if we win. Peter Hanson was the only European not to score at Medinah but only old golf bores like me remembers these things

And an even older one recalls Faldo getting no points in 1985.

Mistake by Tommy not to try and chip in for par?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 30 Sep 2018, 12:11 pm

At the first? He’d have been chipping for a bogey surely?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 30 Sep 2018, 12:14 pm

Born Slippy wrote:At the first? He’d have been chipping for a bogey surely?

Yup, you're right . . . . . . . Alzheimers error.

So far, so OK.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 30 Sep 2018, 12:51 pm

Tommy so good he can give USA a two hole head start :-) #RockOnTommy

EDIT: Hope I haven't jinxed him!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 30 Sep 2018, 2:35 pm

Putting Rory out first was always likely to end badly. What a disaster at the last. Starting to look quite nervy for Europe now.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Sep 2018, 2:36 pm

Thomas beats Rory

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 30 Sep 2018, 2:39 pm

Fabulous from Casey at 17.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 30 Sep 2018, 2:40 pm

Europe holing nothing at the moment.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 30 Sep 2018, 2:40 pm

Rory absolutely bottled that match - had numerous chances to go ahead, then choked horrendously on the last
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Sun 30 Sep 2018, 2:43 pm

Definitely don't want a Brookline but don’t want a Valderrama either. I don’t think my heart could take it.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 30 Sep 2018, 2:53 pm

Casey plays 17/18 nervelessly and Koepka holds himself together to get the half. High quality that one.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 30 Sep 2018, 2:54 pm

Awful from Rory....I know he got points this week but definitely the villain for Europe. Been awful and should consider himself lucky to play 3 matches never mind 5. 

Casey for me has been Europe's best. Fleetwood & Molinari outstanding but when you look at who Casey had as partner and then his overall score to par the bloke has been exceptional. 

Take your glasses off Rory it's not sunny you twonk and after bottling last hole your not cool enough to pull them off.

Very nervy for Europe..could see them bottling this big time.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 30 Sep 2018, 3:00 pm

Europe will still be ok - don’t see the Americans who are down at the moment coming back, all at least 2 down
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 30 Sep 2018, 3:02 pm

Big call Olly....Huge swing and confidence when the final few Americans see that gap closing. Rose looked tired...as did Fleetwood so having them go out earlier looks a big call mow....but that decision to send out Rory first looking worse by the second

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 30 Sep 2018, 3:09 pm

Of course Europe will be ok. They're 1/150 in running at the moment! Fabulous since going 3-1 down.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 30 Sep 2018, 3:17 pm

Got to feel for Olesen....had to carry Rory on day one and did so very well posting -3 ...then sat for next day and half...comes back and smashes one of America's better players so far

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Sep 2018, 3:31 pm

Rahm wins, Molinari 2 up, and Stenson 4 up. DJ in trouble on 17th v Poulter. Europe nearly over the line.

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 30 Sep 2018, 3:56 pm

Well done Poults

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 30 Sep 2018, 3:57 pm

There hasn’t really been any jeapordy all day, doubt the bookies odds have been anything but very odds on for Europe.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 30 Sep 2018, 3:57 pm

The Postman delivers and ends Dustin’s 100% record in Ryder Cup singles. Nearly over now.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Sun 30 Sep 2018, 3:58 pm

That’s us done it, ended up being relatively comfortable

Last edited by wiretapper on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 30 Sep 2018, 3:58 pm

Time for the Task Force to reconvene . . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 30 Sep 2018, 4:01 pm

Is that Molinari winning 5 points?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 30 Sep 2018, 4:02 pm

Despite Bjorn’s horrible picks and pairings throughout, Europe have won. If only OwenOzzy was in charge this would’ve been done yesterday
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Sun 30 Sep 2018, 4:03 pm

And everyone won a point Kwini

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 30 Sep 2018, 4:07 pm

Don't think taskforce is required. Chalk it down to a terrible 1st afternoon really...they lost all momentum they had and were battling from their. 

difficult to win on away soil and it's shown again. 

Think it's safe to say the big lesson to learn is that Woods & Mickelson should be nowhere near the American team unless they qualify automatically and taken it out of the hands of future captains. Even if they have a good season and merit a wildcard pick... They have proven they don't belong in the Ryder Cup format and not just based off today

What stands out for America is the youth in that team....Europe obviously has plenty on the cusp too...should be so me magical Ryder cups to come!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 30 Sep 2018, 4:07 pm

Really great win, surprisingly easy in the end. All that hyperbole from thursday!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 30 Sep 2018, 4:14 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Despite Bjorn’s horrible picks and pairings throughout, Europe have won. If only OwenOzzy was in charge this would’ve been done yesterday

Very Happy Exactly! 

Didn't say horrible to be fair...said questionable and that was the afternoon picks of Morning 1...which America gift wrapped for us. 

And actually if we were to nitpick then he still made some odd choices throughout....sitting Olesen while playing Hatton....putting Rory out first today despite his poor performances throughout....breaking up the Stenson/Rose partnership on 1st morning. So like everything can still analyse and reflect even in victory. 

But all in all job got done..some of his big decisions paid off....Molinari/Fleetwood pairing.... Poulter pick...Garcia pick...use of Paul Casey throughout...

Successful Ryder Cup.....exclamation point being applied here and full credit to Bjorn

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 30 Sep 2018, 4:15 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Despite Bjorn’s horrible picks and pairings throughout, Europe have won. If only OwenOzzy was in charge this would’ve been done yesterday

Horrible picks and pairings? Where exactly? I don't see any

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next