The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox)

+56
atuakiwikiwi
munkian
Bathite
youngguns6
JDandfries
Dorothy_Mantooth
B91212
propdavid_london
robshaw4england
Imperialbigdave
RDW
Mad for Chelsea
RuckingFlanker86
HongKongCherry
beshocked
perand25
tomhughesnice
TheGreyGhost
JmD
mckay1402
Rugby_Assessor
J_D
Irish Curry
Don Alfonso
sean.c
RuggerRadge2611
D24tress
pete (buachaill on eirne)
dogtooth
mrsuperclear
Adam D
drbeatz
Rugby Nick
rugbyman
prop_lyd
JayMaster3000
red_stag
caoimhincentre
DingBatMan
XR
Shifty
doctor_grey
manofgwent
Geordie
Thomond
welshy824
Mickado
tlazarus9
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Looseheaded
Notch
ScarletSpiderman
BATH_BTGOG
Feckless Rogue
MBTGOG
Killer_B_6
60 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox) - Page 3 Empty Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox)

Post by Killer_B_6 Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Like London buses, you wait for ages for one and then two pop up at the same time!

I know there was a lot of chat on 606 (RIP) about Rugby games for PS3 and I thought I would bring some news about two games that have been confirmed for August 2011.

Firstly, there is Rugby Challenge, produced by Sidhe:

http://rugbychallengegame.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_Challenge

https://www.facebook.com/pages/All-Blacks-Rugby-Challenge-Game/162875610443414

I think this is an update from the 'World Cup Challenge' produced just after the 2003 World Cup and may be a descendant from Jonah Lomu Rugby.

The screenshots look very impressive.

They have confirmed licences for the All Blacks, Wallabies, ITM Cup and Super 15. There has been no confirmation of whether they have any European national teams or leagues - which is a bit of a downer - but, going by the Wiki link, there seems to be an extensive editing mode.

In addition, the team behind the game seem very 'on the ball' and have opened up a fans forum asking for advice and answering any queries:

http://forums.sidheinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85

I would advise going on there and giving the details for your favourite team!

The other option is the RWC 2011 Official Game which is made by HB Studios:

http://www.rwc2011game.com/

https://www.facebook.com/RWC2011game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_World_Cup_2011_%28video_game%29

This game is a direct descendant from Rugby 08, 06, 04, etc. - I don't know whether this is a good thing! Although they were fun games, they were very limited

I presume that this will have licences for all teams at the RWC 2011 (this is, however, disputable due to Rugby Challenge claiming to have exclusive licenses to the All Blacks, Wallabies and Super Rugby) but I am not sure about the gameplay outside of that.

I haven't seen any screenshots for this game.

So which game are people going to buy?

I'm kind of torn because HB Studios should, in theory, be able to make the best game but it remains to be seen whether this will be another rush job just to maximise sales while the RWC is on.

My only issue with Rugby Challenge at the moment is what licences they will have for Northern Hemisphere rugby.

Has anyone else got info on these games?

Last edited by Killer_B_6 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Killer_B_6

Back to top Go down

Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox) - Page 3 Empty Re: Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox)

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:37 pm

I really don't know what to do. The most liley course of action for me is buy both.

I can assume that the RWC2011 game will have all other international fixtures in it too, for exaplme 6N tri Nations etc.

I know rugby challenge does not have the licences for the Northern Hemisphere teams and means they can't use the likeness' of the players byt can they use the players names?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox) - Page 3 Empty Re: Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox)

Post by D24tress Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:38 pm

Thomond wrote:D24, stop ass kissing trying to get a free copy of the game Wink

kiss

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:39 pm

I'm pretty sure they have some of the licences now. Couldn't put my house on it but pretty sure that's the way it's working

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:48 pm

A few things looked pretty good on that trailer

The scrum for one looked pretty good from the small graphic you could see

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by sean.c Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Another bit of info about Rugby Challenge is that in Europe it will be called Jonah Lomu's Rugby Challenge Very Happy

sean.c

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:33 pm

rwc 2011 is just the world cup and warm up tour with 20 teams. also AB and wallabies ARENT licensed

Rugby challenge has all the major leagues licensed (although no licensed S.A, or S.A teams) most internationals arent licensed however mario has said that the full customisation tools means you can put licensed players into unlicensed international teams, so that shouldnt take long.
also able to make own teams, players and tournaments. Rugby challenge also has tri nations, and there are more licenses to be confirmed.

so for me its rugby challenge, shame no official welsh team with kit and stuff but at least is has leagues so i can play as the ospreys.

also mario said ALL teams in every league are licensed (bar S.A)

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:51 pm

Jonah Lomu's Rugby Challenge for me, the prospect of leagues and career mode is just to stong a pull over a warm up tour and WC.

I'll wait and buy the other one once the world cup is over and it turns up in the used game / bargin bucket section
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:08 pm

BATH_BTGOG wrote:Jonah Lomu's Rugby Challenge for me, the prospect of leagues and career mode is just to stong a pull over a warm up tour and WC.

I'll wait and buy the other one once the world cup is over and it turns up in the used game / bargin bucket section

+1

Thanks for all the info guys
Any one know anything about the game play at all at all?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:14 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
BATH_BTGOG wrote:Jonah Lomu's Rugby Challenge for me, the prospect of leagues and career mode is just to stong a pull over a warm up tour and WC.

+1

Thanks for all the info guys
Any one know anything about the game play at all at all?

There's some reviews up-thread if you have a hunt through Pete
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:19 pm

well i saw a leaked gameplay thing, which was released by a french retailer-however it was taken down almost straight away and caused some problems with the top 14 licensing as it showed a top 14 match which hadnt been confirmed at the time (thankfully it is sorted now)

but the gameplay looked good.

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:19 pm

It appears a few of the Wallabies players got to have a session playing Rugby Challenge this evening (their time), a few of their Twitter feeds are pretty positive (though of course they possibly aren't allowed to say anything bad about it given the ARU have licenced the game)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:22 pm

Cheers-

Will have a look now. Merci

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:25 pm

I noticed in a trailer for rugby challenge that the camera seems to be set behind the attacking team, as opposed to the side view you get in most sports games. Seems like a good idea for a rugby game. You'll be able to see clearly the defensive line and where the gaps are.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:32 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:I noticed in a trailer for rugby challenge that the camera seems to be set behind the attacking team, as opposed to the side view you get in most sports games. Seems like a good idea for a rugby game. You'll be able to see clearly the defensive line and where the gaps are.

That's the view I use with Rugby 08, makes it much better I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:42 pm

Love how Nonu's "mental agility" is 58 out of 100!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:01 pm

Ulster are in the trailer, with big baldy Barker looking on as a team-mate (Trimble? Henry?) tackles an opposition player. Although kit looks fully licensed, Ravenhill clearly isn't - it looks like an identikit modern rugby stadium, and there's a banner saying "Go Ulster!", which isn't nearly smartarsey enough to be a genuine sight at Ravenhill. The game does look great, though.

You can tinker with the teams, so I might bring Filo back and give him his rightful chance in the jersey. Rush I'll not bother about, however.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:06 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:there's a banner saying "Go Ulster!", which isn't nearly smartarsey enough to be a genuine sight at Ravenhill.

Shocked

Looks like I ruined those bedsheets for nathin'...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

The more and more I hear about it the more I feel that Rugby Challenge is going to wipe the floor with the HB model

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:19 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:The more and more I hear about it the more I feel that Rugby Challenge is going to wipe the floor with the HB model

Cause they seem to be making this for rugby fans, while the other one just seems to be thrown out there as a money making exercise before the world cup.

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:23 pm

Yeah pretty much. I'd be really interested to see if you could make a Lions series. I'd imagine you can. Hope the lineout system is better than in rugby 08 and also the u12's style of 'everybody follow the ball' defence. Not to mention rucking, mauling, scrummaging.

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:29 pm

european screenshots here
http://forums.sidhe.co.nz/showthread.php?43677-European-Screenshots!!!!!!!!!!-*thanks-doowie-)

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:31 pm

What they need is a bit like in madden where the players do individual things during plays, also If you could play as just one player i think it could be alot better in certain aspects, i'm looking forward to it after seeing that ad i must say

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:33 pm

Yeah a rugby game that was a bit like madden a bit like fifa would be unreal

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:37 pm

who is that leinster player is it ferg

some man

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:38 pm

euro shots look great, bring it on.
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:39 pm

think it is d24, think the guy in the scrum hat chasing is morgan cant tell the rest of the scarlets, i think i can see king in the 1st scarlet picture

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:41 pm

Screenshots look unreal. Personally I don't care if the kit isn't completely up to date.

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:44 pm

the way i see it is atleast they were once kits rather then just having the same colour, scarlets feature heavy in the pics and you can see the back of dr phils head.

I'm actually pretty excited about this

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:56 pm

ive been waiting so long for 360rugby game.

the kiwi developers have made a game for videogaming rugby fans. the 2011wc game is just a cash in and is sure to suck. might be worth a fiver in a few months.

very excited. a late birthday prezzie coming up. i will get the sihde game on release. i might even preorder, although im sure there will be plenty available

dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:00 pm

I am buzzing! Yahoo This is gonna be awesome!! Do we have a European release date yet gentlemen?

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:09 pm

not yet but probably before wc starts

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:11 pm

so what 55 days and counting..........

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:39 pm

[quote="pete (buachaill on eirne)"]so what 55 days and counting..........[/quote]

55 days to long Sad
Can't wait!!!!!! Yahoo Drool
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:22 pm

I may regret asking this one ...

As I'm console-less (and have been for about 6 years) do people think Rugby Challenge will be better on PS3 or X Box?

(Boy do I feel old having to ask that)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Amazon have rugby world cup 11 available from 26 aug, so hopefully rugby challenge will be on the same day or hooefully the week before.
Really disappointed that the EA game i's just using international teams. Sounds like a cash-in. I just hope that these 2 games become annual releases and any niggles can be improved upon.
Looking forward to taking the dragons online. About frickin time.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by sean.c Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:55 pm

@kiwireddevil it will probably be better on ps3 seeing as that's what the wallaby players were playing it on. The console it's demoed on is usually the most polished. Shame really cause I only have an xbox Sad

sean.c

Back to top Go down

Post by J_D Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Tri nations, super 15, top 14, pro 12, aviva licensed too! goodbye social life cant wait! laughing Yahoo

J_D

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbyman Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:27 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:I may regret asking this one ...

As I'm console-less (and have been for about 6 years) do people think Rugby Challenge will be better on PS3 or X Box?

Not sure on this but I think that on ps3 it's easier to share data, ie you can download the South African players someone out there is bound to have made, but I don't this this is possible on xbox

Also if people are interested this is on Rugby Challenge's website:

The features and content of Rugby Challenge include:
•Play in Single Match Mode, Competition Mode, and multi year Career Mode as well as extensive help and Tutorial Mode options available for players new to the sport
•93 teams and 31 stadia featured including official team and competition licenses for the All Blacks, the Qantas Wallabies, the USA Eagles, Tri Nations, Bledisloe Cup, Super Rugby teams, Aviva Premiership Rugby, TOP 14 Orange, RaboDirect PRO12, ITM Cup, and Ranfurly Shield
•Enjoy the game with groups of friends locally, or compete in online multiplayer with support up to 4v4 via PlayStation®Network, Xbox LIVE®, or Steam
•Create or customise players, teams, and competitions using the extensive customisation tools to shape the game to your own preferences and keep the game fresh season after season
•Dynamic presentation delivers a true on-field rugby experience with enhanced replay angles, lifelike cut-scenes, rich sound, and real-time commentary from seasoned rugby commentators Grant Nisbett and Justin Marshall

Developed by leading New Zealand game studio Sidhe, Rugby Challenge will release worldwide for PS3, 360 and PC in Quarter 3 2011. More information and ongoing updates about the game can be found at the official website http://www.rugbychallengegame.com.

Looks a much better game than RWC 2011 IMO

rugbyman

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:41 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:I may regret asking this one ...

i would say ps3 but then i would be biased, i mean although the xbox apparently has better online facilities ps3 dont have to pay for online so thats why i went for the ps3 =)

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Kiwi,I would advis PS3 as it also acts as a Blu ray player and has free internet OK

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:26 pm

Thomond wrote:Kiwi,I would advis PS3 as it also acts as a Blu ray player and has free internet OK

Cheers. Let's hope bonus time is kind to me Smile
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:35 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:

kiwi that makes you sound like a banker, your not a banker are you? everyone knows what people do to bankers Wink

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:50 am

welshy824 wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:

kiwi that makes you sound like a banker, your not a banker are you? everyone knows what people do to bankers Wink

Don't worry, I'm not a banker. A banker wouldn't be hoping for a bonus good enough to buy a games console, he'd be hoping for much more Whistle .

I'm a data analyst, and have never worked for a bank. I have worked in marketing admittedly, so I'm not without sin Wink

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:12 pm

Trailer for the Official World Cup game-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJs_-xxgJPI&feature=player_embedded

First thoughts are it looks far inferior to Rugby Challenge.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:16 pm

It's getting a right slating isn't it. Hopefully it won't sell. I can only see me buying Challenge.

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:20 pm

How much is Challenge do people know?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm

i am sorry rwc 2011 is rugby 08 with updated teams and graphics you could tell from that video-rugby challenge all the way for me.

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:25 pm

welshy824 wrote:i am sorry rwc 2011 is rugby 08 with updated teams and graphics you could tell from that video-rugby challenge all the way for me.

+1

Need to start saving for it.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby_Assessor Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:31 pm

Does anyone know if there will be a (not sure if this was what it was called) "Classic Match Mode" from Jonah Lomu Rugby in Rugby Challenge? Basically it's when they put you into classic matches that have occurred and ask you to complete a goal. e.g. Being 20-7 down with 10 minutes to go and it asks you to come back and win with a set difficulty.

Rugby_Assessor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Rugby Challenge has the Radodirect League license doesn't it? That's definitely sealed the deal, not that there was any doubt anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next