The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox)

+56
atuakiwikiwi
munkian
Bathite
youngguns6
JDandfries
Dorothy_Mantooth
B91212
propdavid_london
robshaw4england
Imperialbigdave
RDW
Mad for Chelsea
RuckingFlanker86
HongKongCherry
beshocked
perand25
tomhughesnice
TheGreyGhost
JmD
mckay1402
Rugby_Assessor
J_D
Irish Curry
Don Alfonso
sean.c
RuggerRadge2611
D24tress
pete (buachaill on eirne)
dogtooth
mrsuperclear
Adam D
drbeatz
Rugby Nick
rugbyman
prop_lyd
JayMaster3000
red_stag
caoimhincentre
DingBatMan
XR
Shifty
doctor_grey
manofgwent
Geordie
Thomond
welshy824
Mickado
tlazarus9
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Looseheaded
Notch
ScarletSpiderman
BATH_BTGOG
Feckless Rogue
MBTGOG
Killer_B_6
60 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox) - Page 4 Empty Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox)

Post by Killer_B_6 Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Like London buses, you wait for ages for one and then two pop up at the same time!

I know there was a lot of chat on 606 (RIP) about Rugby games for PS3 and I thought I would bring some news about two games that have been confirmed for August 2011.

Firstly, there is Rugby Challenge, produced by Sidhe:

http://rugbychallengegame.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_Challenge

https://www.facebook.com/pages/All-Blacks-Rugby-Challenge-Game/162875610443414

I think this is an update from the 'World Cup Challenge' produced just after the 2003 World Cup and may be a descendant from Jonah Lomu Rugby.

The screenshots look very impressive.

They have confirmed licences for the All Blacks, Wallabies, ITM Cup and Super 15. There has been no confirmation of whether they have any European national teams or leagues - which is a bit of a downer - but, going by the Wiki link, there seems to be an extensive editing mode.

In addition, the team behind the game seem very 'on the ball' and have opened up a fans forum asking for advice and answering any queries:

http://forums.sidheinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85

I would advise going on there and giving the details for your favourite team!

The other option is the RWC 2011 Official Game which is made by HB Studios:

http://www.rwc2011game.com/

https://www.facebook.com/RWC2011game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_World_Cup_2011_%28video_game%29

This game is a direct descendant from Rugby 08, 06, 04, etc. - I don't know whether this is a good thing! Although they were fun games, they were very limited

I presume that this will have licences for all teams at the RWC 2011 (this is, however, disputable due to Rugby Challenge claiming to have exclusive licenses to the All Blacks, Wallabies and Super Rugby) but I am not sure about the gameplay outside of that.

I haven't seen any screenshots for this game.

So which game are people going to buy?

I'm kind of torn because HB Studios should, in theory, be able to make the best game but it remains to be seen whether this will be another rush job just to maximise sales while the RWC is on.

My only issue with Rugby Challenge at the moment is what licences they will have for Northern Hemisphere rugby.

Has anyone else got info on these games?

Last edited by Killer_B_6 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Killer_B_6

Back to top Go down

Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox) - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox)

Post by MBTGOG Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:34 pm

It does Rev. Obvious choice on nearly every front really.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox) - Page 4 Empty Re: Next Generation Rugby Games (for PS3 and Xbox)

Post by Notch Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Trailer for the official game;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJs_-xxgJPI&feature=player_embedded

It has nice graphics but the really big thing is, you can already tell that once you make a linebreak the AI in defence just means every player on the opposition chases after you. This is not really a convincing simulacrum of test level rugby thumbsup
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:03 pm

Basically, the clips I've seen of the official game look like Rugby '08 with nicer graphics. And less teams. I wouldn't be surprised if its the exact same engine.

Not sold. Rugby Challenge just seems much better.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:25 pm

[quote="Notch"]Basically, the clips I've seen of the official game look like Rugby '08 with nicer graphics. And less teams. I wouldn't be surprised if its the exact same engine.

Not sold. Rugby Challenge just seems much better.[/quote]

Agreed. Just look at the comments below it, very unrealistic.

Out of interess who was the Irish 15 in the trailer does any one know? I can't be bothered to go back and look.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:29 pm

All the faces in that game look the same. It'd be pure guess work.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:29 pm

That was the most worthless piece of rudey poo I have ever seen.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:33 pm

[quote="MBTGOG"]All the faces in that game look the same. It'd be pure guess work.

[/quote]

I know it just looked awfully like Luke Fiz Shocked
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:35 pm

I'm hoping Rugby Challenge is good and is a commercial success because if it is, they can then build on it and hopefully it will become the big rugby game that everyone wants to put their name to.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:38 pm

If the difference between the quality of games is as vast as it seems, then Rugby WC game makers will struggle to get licenses in future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:41 pm

[quote="Risca Rev"]If the difference between the quality of games is as vast as it seems, then Rugby WC game makers will struggle to get licenses in future.[/quote]

If their only making WC games Rugby Challenge should be able to get some licences inbetween WCs. I hope so any way.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:37 pm

yes and the other thing is that for RC you can simply import the licensed players into the unlicensed teams

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:25 am

steam

wot a load of poo.

i will rent this pants for a few nights just to make sure it isnt a cr4p as it looks.

the sidhe trailer looks so much better, and with the club licences RC wins hands down.

dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:36 am

it cracks me up that hb have made 'the OFFICIAL world cup GAME!!!!!" but without the official hosts

wot utter pants.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:00 am

Gameplay video from 'Rugby Challenge'.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150261080674455&oid=233955433283328&comments

Looks as good as you could hope for, I like the head-on view. I don't necessarily like the 'hit the button at the right time' thing for lineouts but I suppose thats as good a way of representing the timimg and co-ordination a lineout takes as you can really. I like the slow-mo effect when you're kicking the ball and the different options at ruck time. It looks like they have done ok with the rucks and scrums which are the hardest parts... definitely looks better, but won't know until I get my hands on it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:46 am

thanks for posting the lin k, notch.

some of the mechanics in this game look really good. the rwc11game doesnt show any of the actual gameplay, just ingame footage.

the more i see of these two game the more i reckon the kiwi game will be the most fun and that the 'official' game will be poor

Last edited by dogtooth on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:36 am

You can tell it's from the makers of Jonah lomu. It looks really fast paced, although it may not be truly authentic, it's more an arcade version of rugby. I just hope there's enough of a challenge in the game, but saying that I just wanna get online.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:57 pm

Just on the facebook page, apparently there are no set plays for the backs

Sad

not sure how badly I feel about this, cos it's definitely bad, rugby 08 had some really good backsmoves with multi options.

Hmmmmmm

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:47 pm

looks good here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFASTKgFUuQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:10 pm

That turned me off the game a bit. The passing looked a bit sketchy and the turnovers occured at ridiculous rates. Looks better than RWC 2011 but I was a bit disappointed. The commentary is also awful.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:17 pm

It was on seriously easy mode but Giteau barged through like 3 or 4 tackles I'd say.

The lack of set plays is a big negative in my books

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Also,the commentary is awful.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Thomond bear in mind thats on Very Easy. So, would like to see what its like of harder settings re. turnovers.

Well... downloaded a demo of the 'Official' game. It's fun, but Rugby 08 and there's plenty of problems. Plenty of lack of attention to detail. It is Rugby '08 with nicer graphics. Let's be in no doubt about that. It's confirmed now I've played it myself. All the problems with gameplay in Rugby '08 are present and correct. It's obvious zero thought has been out into improvements in this regard.

Plus really sloppy things; like England have a red away kit? Whens the last time they had a red away kit? And the kit for England in the demo is their kit for the last World Cup... I mean, ffs. I'm sure they'll sort the kits before release but that is just poor.

Rugby Challenge still looks better.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:21 pm

I wonder is Mikey Mullins still with Munster in it? I'm pretty sure he was with them in 08 or at least in 06.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:23 pm

There are no club sides in the Rugby World Cup game.

Just international teams. And they don't have Australia or New Zealand.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Notch-

Eek, that's the worst of our fears really then isn't it.
Did you notice anything new about it other than players at all??

Didn't like the passing in RC, looked too effortless at times and the way you can dart around people (that can be down to difficulty)

Just there seemed to be very few if any switches or passes inside, wraps, screens anything. Just I will go left, then right, then left then right

furious

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:30 pm

Graphics, menu, commentary. Nothing else really. Exact same controls, game engine and game mechanics.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:33 pm

Notch wrote:Graphics, menu, commentary. Nothing else really. Exact same controls, game engine and game mechanics.

🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦

what a cop out

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:34 pm

If anything it is actually worse than 08 due to no club teams!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:43 pm

Any news on the Challenge release date??
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:45 pm

They haven't said anything on their fb page except it will be out before the RWC. No idea why they are keeping so quiet about it

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:51 pm

pete - cheers. I have bought (pre-ordered) RWC '11 as my PS3 won't play PS2 games, but I am really looking forward to Challenge.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:57 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDvnNxnLYFI&feature=feedu Not sure if this is old footage or not but a gameplay trailer.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:30 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:They haven't said anything on their fb page except it will be out before the RWC. No idea why they are keeping so quiet about it

I ordered it in Gamestop. I was told 9th September 2011
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:27 am

Played the demo. Not sure if I can be bothered with the real thing either. I think I'll be sticking with Challenge. It is exactly the same as 08, bar the graphics. Probably not going to waste money on it, but I am intrigued what the tours entail.

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:11 am

i just had a quick look at the hbstudio demo playthrough on youtube.

at the selection screen you can choose between the 'home kit' and an 'away kit'

i always thought the home team changed jumpers if the visitors had a similar kit. am i wrong or has hbstudios pulled off a fail on the first screen of their 'game'?

does the game also include linesmen and a goalie?

challenge wins another round i think. i would like to play as an officially licenced national team but im not shelling out for hbstudios cack. maybe in a few months when its a fiver
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:20 am

I played the demo of RWC 2011 last night and to be honest I found it really quite playable. I enjoyed the breakdown mechanic and thought the line outs and Scrums worked well.

I certainly felt it was worth buying. A pity that not one franchise has been able to secure all the licences. As I have said before I'll probably buy both.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:44 pm

Pretty good comparison of the two can be found here;

http://www.theaveragegamer.com/2011/08/05/jonah-lomu-rugby-challenge-preview-ps3/

I quite like the sound of 'Team Lomu'. Fun times. Rugby Challenge sounds way more in depth in terms of what you can do, it just seems like so much more thought and care has been put into it.

1500 players in the base game for Rugby Challenge is impressive.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:24 am

More info on options available in Rugby Challenge in editing the behaviours of the game AI.

http://forums.sidhe.co.nz/showthread.php?44152-Team-Stats-and-Tactics
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:49 am

Downloaded the RWC demo last night...basically, as said, it's like Rugby 08. Barnes is even annoying in the game, so you can't fault the realism ;-)

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:17 pm

Game has it called 'Jonah Lomu's Rugby Challenge'

http://www.game.co.uk/Games/Xbox-360/Sport-Rugby/Jonah-Lomu-Rugby-Challenge/~r356373/

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Thats what it's going to be called over here. It will be called All Blacks Rugby Challenge in New Zealand and Wallabies Rugby Challenge in Australia.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:01 pm

I think it's good to call it Lomu Rugby. Get a name that people are familiar with and link it with the game franchise. Like they have done with Madden and NFL.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:06 pm

MBTGOG wrote:I think it's good to call it Lomu Rugby. Get a name that people are familiar with and link it with the game franchise. Like they have done with Madden and NFL.

Aled Brew rugby?

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:16 pm

Paddy Wallace Rugby Challenge for the Irish Market, is what I'm hearing on the grapevine.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:18 pm

Notch wrote:Paddy Wallace Rugby Challenge for the Irish Market, is what I'm hearing on the grapevine.

Makes sense. Only logical way to go really.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:35 pm

Wellies Rugby Challenge doesn't sound as good.

To be honest I find it rather odd that it is Lomu's name on it, and not someone like Carter
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:51 pm

I think it's to do with the success of and nostalgia that exists for the original Jonah Lomu rugby.

It's partly a tribute to that game, obviously the game itself is very much updated because games have moved on a lot since then, but the developers respect its legacy and see that they can draw a link between their game and the most fondly remembered rugby videogame to date.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:56 pm

Also, look at how Madden has become synonymous with the NFL game and his commentary isn't even on it anymore. Have a name people know and it increases interest.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:29 pm

Munsty is right(for once Wink ) Lomu Rugby could grow as a brand a successfull sports game could do wonders for Rugby. American football has seen dramatic increases in interest partially due to Madden.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:47 pm

If you ask me the IRB should be looking to fund and publish a top class rugby game themselves. That's what the wrestling crowd do. And not only do they promote their "sport", but they make a huge amount of money on sales of the games, rather than just getting a fee for letting someone else use their image licences and the like.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next