The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

+57
carpet baboon
Ozzy3213
BigGee
formerly known as Sam
Dontheman2
rodders
cascough
wayne
BamBam
BigTrevsbigmac
lostinwales
LordDowlais
RDW
The Great Aukster
geoff999rugby
Winzer
WELL-PAST-IT
LondonTiger
EWT Spoons
Geen sport voor watjes
George Carlin
EST
kingelderfield
RiscaGame
Sin é
alive555
funnyExiledScot
Fluxy
TightHEAD
Taylorman
Gwlad
Rugby Fan
Rory_Gallagher
True Raven
majesticimperialman
mikey_dragon
hugehandoff
aucklandlaurie
TrailApe
R!skysports
RuggerRadge2611
Gooseberry
nlpnlp
Sgt_Pooly
Cyril
beshocked
Hammersmith harrier
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
GunsGermsV2
robbo277
Luckless Pedestrian
No 7&1/2
SecretFly
marty2086
Scottrf
munkian
61 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

British & Irish Lions Squad 2017 - Page 15 Empty British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by munkian Thu 20 Apr 2017, 12:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

Scottrf wrote:Lawes was better than AWJ every week in the 6 Nations and isn't injured yet he's the strange call Rolling Eyes

AWJ is a leader and well respected by his peers as well as being a former winning Lions test captain.

Lions players aren't just based on how well they did in the six nations, they are picked on how well the coaches think they will gel into the squad.

You need leaders on and off the pitch.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

British & Irish Lions Squad 2017 - Page 15 Empty Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Guest Fri 05 May 2017, 10:35 am

R!skysports wrote:I have faced a welcome ceremony at the Maori village when I was over in 2005. It was very impressive and you felt part of something strong
Yup, you can embrace it and gain from it like SA and France do or have done

They gain strength from it

Or you can sweep it under the carpet

Back to top Go down

British & Irish Lions Squad 2017 - Page 15 Empty Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 May 2017, 10:40 am

Taylorman wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:Are New Zealanders inherently over sensitive and reactionary and is that why as a side they are quite ill disciplined?

What heartens me guns is that youve never been good enough to either face a haka, let alone lead one.
Ive done both and I can assure you it is about respect.
To carry on as a fan, and not a real player leaves you diminished as a commentator.
I can guarantee your countrymen will have felt nothing but respect at facing the haka at any level.
Thats because they have the understanding, the balls. You as a mere spectator dont.
So dont speak for you national side. You have nothing in common in that respect.

Have you ever met guns or is this just more arrogant, condescending tripe?

NZ are certainly the hard men of the internet, aren't they?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 May 2017, 10:43 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:I really like the Haka and hope it is retained. It's a part of world rugby in my opinion.

Me too. It is the frequency being discussed, Guns (and others) have said they are happy to have it as part of the test matches.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 May 2017, 10:45 am

But I will say that not everyone should be forced to like it or respect it (as with anything). That doesn't diminish their character, which some of the NZ fans on here might do well to remember.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 May 2017, 10:47 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:Jeez you guys see the Laumape try?
Yeah, phenomenal, some nice tries scored tonight

Jordie looks to be as equally tinny as his big brother

Do you reckon he's the goods Laurie?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 May 2017, 10:56 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:But I will say that not everyone should be forced to like it or respect it (as with anything). That doesn't diminish their character, which some of the NZ fans on here might do well to remember.
No one is forcing anyone to like or respect it rory

But when the opening gambit is.....

"Does performing the haka too much cheapen it"

That is the height of arrogance, ignorance and cultural insensitivity when read by someone from NZ

Last edited by ebop on Fri 05 May 2017, 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 05 May 2017, 10:56 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:But I will say that not everyone should be forced to like it or respect it (as with anything). That doesn't diminish their character, which some of the NZ fans on here might do well to remember.

No Kiwi should ever demand that a foregner especially like the Haka, however it is one of those things that can easily be disrespected  as its an object of heritage/culture, it becomes more complex when we try to explain this from a Polynesian culture to those who only know an Anglo Saxon society. Likewise I am somewhat ignorant of many things in Aboriginal culture, yet often travel throughout Australia.

In this matter the Lions management have been more than sensitive accommodating and understanding, and that cooperation should not go unrecognized by Kiwis.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 May 2017, 11:00 am

That's right

It seems the Lions management have embraced the tour rather than come in all hot like SCW and his goons

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 05 May 2017, 11:03 am

ebop wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:Jeez you guys see the Laumape try?
Yeah, phenomenal, some nice tries scored tonight

Jordie looks to be as equally tinny as his big brother

Do you reckon he's the goods Laurie?

With Jordie I cant believe how much he has grown into this level of Rugby in the last 6 - 8 weeks. by the way Jordie is the "Big" brother, if you know what I mean.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 May 2017, 11:06 am

Ha yes, the big big brother

Can't help but think he's going to be a big deal

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 05 May 2017, 11:17 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Gee in your eyes we must be a pretty bad lot, Do we ever mock your heritage and culture as well? Or would you consider doing that a good thing.

Laurie, Im hardly mocking your heritage if I think that the Haka is better served if it is reserved for test games.

Well actually you are, but I know its not intentional, its about respecting the local Iwi (Tribe) who are the Tanga Whenua (People of the land) as such they are hold the rights of those lands in its use,and that includes its visitors and residents, the three areas Waikato. Auckland (Tamaki Makaura), and Canterbury are doing this in concert with their local Iwi.

Its just my opinion Lawrie. Kiwi's get upset over literally nothing these days.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 05 May 2017, 11:20 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I really like the Haka and hope it is retained. It's a part of world rugby in my opinion.

Me too. It is the frequency being discussed, Guns (and others) have said they are happy to have it as part of the test matches.

100% I enjoy it as part of test rugby and Maori games. I wouldn't be in favour of dispensing with it at that level.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 May 2017, 11:21 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:Are New Zealanders inherently over sensitive and reactionary and is that why as a side they are quite ill disciplined?

What heartens me guns is that youve never been good enough to either face a haka, let alone lead one.
To carry on as a fan, and not a real player leaves you diminished as a commentator.
I can guarantee your countrymen will have felt nothing but respect at facing the haka at any level.
Thats because they have the understanding, the balls. You as a mere spectator dont.
So dont speak for you national side. You have nothing in common in that respect.

e

Nope, but I do know he knows nothing of the haka, its presence in the game other than someone who watches cable tv.

Distant views like that are amusing and I think gee, 28 from 29 wins or whatever it is now.
I think we'll keep doing it. thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 May 2017, 11:22 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Gee in your eyes we must be a pretty bad lot, Do we ever mock your heritage and culture as well? Or would you consider doing that a good thing.

Laurie, Im hardly mocking your heritage if I think that the Haka is better served if it is reserved for test games.

Well actually you are, but I know its not intentional, its about respecting the local Iwi (Tribe) who are the Tanga Whenua (People of the land) as such they are hold the rights of those lands in its use,and that includes its visitors and residents, the three areas Waikato. Auckland (Tamaki Makaura), and Canterbury are doing this in concert with their local Iwi.

Not really

You're just showing yourself up to be honest

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 05 May 2017, 11:22 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

More than entitled to have an opinion GG, but be aware that you can be insulting even when its no intended. If I ever came on to this forum and mocked or insulted your Irish/ Celtic culture then I would expect you to tell me, and educate me.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 May 2017, 11:27 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

ww

More than entitled to have an opinion GG, but be aware that you can be insulting even when its no intended. If I ever came on to this forum and mocked or insulted your Irish/ Celtic culture then I would expect you to tell me, and educate me.

Yet unfortunately Laurie, our education is limited to the Irish rugby fans view of the haka.
How quaint. Whistle

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 May 2017, 11:47 am

Watching your own players facing the haka can reveal a lot

Are your players up to it?

Some of the Welsh guys didn't know where to look

The rest was history

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 05 May 2017, 11:51 am

Imagine being in an international team and losing to a club side Laugh Not only losing, getting destroyed.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 May 2017, 11:58 am

Taylorman wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

e

Nope, but I do know he knows nothing of the haka, its presence in the game other than someone who watches cable tv.

Distant views like that are amusing and I think gee, 28 from 29 wins or whatever it is now.

What does NZ's winning record have to do with you acting like an a$$hole on the internet?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 May 2017, 12:00 pm

So expressing the opinion that overdoing the haka cheapens its appeal is an insulting or offensive thing to say?

You really are proving Gun's point rather spectacularly.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 May 2017, 12:00 pm

It's the innernet dummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Winzer Fri 05 May 2017, 12:02 pm

I find it interesting how sensitive AB fans seem to be considering the success of the team. After all, they've been pretty much consistently the best team in world rugby for decades. To my eyes, they enjoy some major advantages, in being allowed to do the Haka, which is clearly geared towards giving them a psychological edge at the beginning of the match, and in getting a favourable ride from referees, who often seem to see things in accordance with their expectation that the ABs will be on top. They are also prepared to go that bit further to win (which used to be very ugly back in the days of John Ashworth, Richard Loe, Colin Meads and the like). That makes the already extremely difficult job of beating them even harder. They'd still be the best team in the world anyway.

I hope the Lions get a fair crack of the whip from the referees this summer.

Winzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 May 2017, 12:07 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:So expressing the opinion that overdoing the haka cheapens its appeal is an insulting or offensive thing to say?

Is the issue really about cheapening the haka

Or is it fear?

It's hard to tell

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 05 May 2017, 12:08 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:So expressing the opinion that overdoing the haka cheapens its appeal is an insulting or offensive thing to say?

Who are you talking to?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 May 2017, 12:09 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

e

What does NZ's winning record have to do with you acting like an a$$hole on the internet?

Nothing. I just get tired of haka critics. So when I see the ignorance I convey something just as ridiculous. Nothing personal but stick to what you know perhaps.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 May 2017, 12:20 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:

Who are you talking to?

The NZ fans who have contributed so far today. If you disagree, why not address my question?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 May 2017, 12:21 pm

Taylorman wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

e

Nothing. I just get tired of haka critics. So when I see the ignorance I convey something just as ridiculous. Nothing personal but stick to what you know perhaps.

So you're admitting you can't deal with any criticism against the haka?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 May 2017, 12:31 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

e

Why would you think it was ok to criticise ones culture

Are you backward?

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 05 May 2017, 12:33 pm

Why should anything be above criticism?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 May 2017, 12:35 pm

You mean criticise ones culture?

Like devalue it

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 05 May 2017, 12:36 pm

ebop wrote:You mean criticise ones culture?

Like devalue it

Yeah sure if there's something you disagree with. There are all sorts of things that we no longer do that would be unpalatable now and we might still do if they were put on a pedestal.

Last edited by Scottrf on Fri 05 May 2017, 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 May 2017, 12:37 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

e

Oh look I appreciate someone has to rid the world of ignorance, but I'm busy this week.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 May 2017, 12:37 pm

Why wouldn't it be okay? As an extreme example, if your culture endorses child sacrifice, I'm hardly going to respect it just because it's part of your culture and tradition. Flip me, British culture is criticised by its own politicians on a daily basis. As usual, some cultures are believed to be fair game to criticise while others are given special rights. I think anything is up for criticism or scepticism and I think that is healthy.

If you think that's backwards, then yes, I guess I am. Better than what people call "progressive" nowadays which can be translated to mindless groupthink mentality.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 May 2017, 12:39 pm

Taylorman wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

e

Oh look I appreciate someone has to rid the world of ignorance, but I'm busy this week.

A simple "yes" would have sufficed but that will do.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 May 2017, 12:46 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

e

A simple "yes" would have sufficed but that will do.

Know when you're outsmarted pal. thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 May 2017, 12:47 pm

Totally deluded. Laugh

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Winzer Fri 05 May 2017, 12:48 pm

The Haka may be a cultural tradition - that's fine, but the rest of us are entitled to question its deployment specifically in the context of a rugby match, when performing it confers an advantage other nations don't have.

It hasn't consistently been part of NZ rugby culture in terms of being performed at their games, this firmed up rather in about the 60s, having been intermittent before that, didn't it? But even if it were, everyone else is entitled to question its use and also the way it is done, particularly as that seems to be a matter of choice, and it has been altered to make it even more intimidating in relatively recent years.

Dismissing that questioning as backwards is conflating criticism of a cultural tradition per se (which no-one seems to be doing) with (legitimate) criticism of its deployment in a particular context, in order to maintain an (arguably unfair) advantage without challenge while pretending that advantage doesn't exist.

Winzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 May 2017, 12:51 pm

The hilarity of all of this is that the original question asked was if having the club sides perform the haka (which they don't usually do) before every game would that cheapen its appeal? Apparently that falls under the blasphemy laws.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 05 May 2017, 12:53 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Who are you talking to?

The NZ fans who have contributed so far today. If you disagree, why not address my question?

Because the offence is to the people of the land and in these situations to the local Iwi, the volume/frequency of hakas, or its appeal is not how its measured. Guns can not be expected to know this and I said this above. Its probably to be likened to people say disrespecting the Koran twenty or thirty years ago when Islam was not that well known in Western Society.

What I do recognise is that Rugby at all times remains a Rugby occasion, and yes a Haka may be performed at said occasion but the Rugby remains paramount, its the contest between the home and away teams.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 05 May 2017, 12:54 pm

I think the Haka is beyond parody now, it no longer has any value.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 May 2017, 1:00 pm

Well, personally I think it is silly for anyone to get offended over such a question. Call me ignorant, that's fine, but some people may find watching the haka seven times on the tour to be a little tedious.

As with the haka, people should be allowed to disrespect/criticise the Koran, the Bible, or whatever they choose. Some people know and understand the Koran perfectly well and criticise the content. I'm only expanding these examples to show that nothing should be above criticism and that doesn't make the person ignorant, nasty, or a bad person.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 05 May 2017, 1:01 pm

Winzer wrote:The Haka may be a cultural tradition - that's fine, but the rest of us are entitled to question its deployment specifically in the context of a rugby match, when performing it confers an advantage other nations don't have.  

It hasn't consistently been part of NZ rugby culture in terms of being performed at their games, this firmed up rather in about the 60s, having been intermittent before that, didn't it?  But even if it were, everyone else is entitled to question its use and also the way it is done, particularly as that seems to be a matter of choice, and it has been altered to make it even more intimidating in relatively recent years.

Dismissing that questioning as backwards is conflating criticism of a cultural tradition per se (which no-one seems to be doing) with (legitimate) criticism of its deployment in a particular context, in order to maintain an (arguably unfair) advantage without challenge while pretending that advantage doesn't exist.

You do realise that Fiji has the Cibi, Samoa has the Siva Tau, Tonga has the Sipi Tau etc etc.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 May 2017, 1:01 pm

Winzer. Yes, the question as to why NZ, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji were originally allowed to perform the pre-game haka, Sipi Tau, Manu Siva Tau and Cibi before rugby games is curious?

Was it to entertain the hifalutin British masses back in the day? At a time where the mighty British empire was colonising the world? Bet it was a real hoot back in those days. Watching the savages. Looking down their noses at the exotics. Well, guess the tradition continued on, not realising that the exotics could actually play rugby really well. And now some of them dominate the game it's a bit rich to see that some don't like watching the exotics doing their thing any more. It's kind of akin to throwing the dummy out of the pram. You guys created it and that's the beautiful irony.

Last edited by ebop on Fri 05 May 2017, 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 05 May 2017, 1:05 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Well, personally I think it is silly for anyone to get offended over such a question. Call me ignorant, that's fine, but some people may find watching the haka seven times on the tour to be a little tedious.

As with the haka, people should be allowed to disrespect/criticise the Koran, the Bible, or whatever they choose. Some people know and understand the Koran perfectly well and criticise the content. I'm only expanding these examples to show that nothing should be above criticism and that doesn't make the person ignorant, nasty, or a bad person.

Dont worry about it Rory you will always find things to criticise pertaining to New Zealand rugby, we know this.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 May 2017, 1:06 pm

Just the typical grown-up response I've come to expect from you, Laurie.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 May 2017, 1:09 pm

Go have a nap rory

This debate is making you tired

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 05 May 2017, 1:10 pm

If only, ebop. I've work to do unfortunately but this has all been rather distracting.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 May 2017, 1:14 pm

Haha, that's right rory, get back to it!!

I've gotta go to sleep but I gotta finish this bottle

Back to top Go down

Post by Winzer Fri 05 May 2017, 1:27 pm

Yes, a limited number of other nations now have an equivalent, that doesn't really alter the point. It is an advantage enjoyed by one top tier and a few other nations.

As to the origin, it may be right that it was to pander to a colonial wish for exoticism originally, I wouldn't know but it's not implausible.

I find it a bit odd to want to maintain it. Sport only makes any sense as a contest with a level playing field. The whole point is that you have a contest according to artificial rules which are the same for everyone, if you don't, it's meaningless. It's a bit of an Achilles heel for rugby, because the nature and complexity of the rules are such that every team effectively pretty much has to cheat, and sometimes it seems as though the team that gets away with it better that wins. But where's the honour in that? And where is the honour in winning when you have an advantage such as the right to intimidate the opposition while they stand there meekly before the start?

Winzer

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 05 May 2017, 1:29 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:The hilarity of all of this is that the original question asked was if having the club sides perform the haka (which they don't usually do) before every game would that cheapen its appeal? Apparently that falls under the blasphemy laws.

Does the fact that the NZ super rugby sides generally dont do the Haka against other super rugby sides mean they dont respect them?

Is this a disrespectful question?

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next