The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by Pal Joey on Tue 02 Jan 2018, 10:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

5th Test Sydney, January 4-8, 2017 (23:30 GMT Jan 3)

Australia:
Bancroft, Warner, Khawaja, Smith *, S Marsh, M Marsh, Paine †, Starc, Cummins, Lyon, Hazelwood

England:
Cook, Stoneman, Vince, Root *, Malan, Bairstow †, Ali, Curran, Broad, Crane, Anderson



Last edited by The Loaded Dog on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:01 am; edited 3 times in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Posts : 48483
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : On the plains

Back to top Go down


Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 1:48 am

After two overs, including a play and a miss from Stoneman, England 2 for 0.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 1:58 am

Key for England's innings you feel is this opening psir digging in, taking the shine off the new ball and plsy will become more comfortable you think. A play and miss from Cook and after 4 overs England are 5 for 0.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by compelling and rich on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:01 am

Stoneman looks nervy so far to me

compelling and rich

Posts : 5561
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:03 am

England 11 for 0 after 5 overs.Stoneman 7 Cook 3.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:11 am

After 7 overs England 18 for 0. A play and a miss from Cook. Cook 3 Stoneman 14.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:16 am

It is vitally important the batsmen all contribute for England bearing in mind the elongated tail they have in this match. England 24 for 0.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:16 am

Hazlewood on and a play and a miss from Cook first ball and second ball.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:24 am

Stoneman feathers one to Paine from Cummins. England 28 for 1 and Stoneman exits for 24.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:27 am

By my reckoning, to be competitive, the England top order need to put on 300 runs before you get to the all-rounders. Average first innings score on this pitch is 350.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by compelling and rich on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:34 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:It is vitally important the batsmen all contribute for England bearing in mind the elongated tail they have in this match. England 24 for 0.

Not seen much of crane but haven’t been overly impressed with Woakes ability to deal with the aussie quicks

compelling and rich

Posts : 5561
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:38 am

compelling and rich wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:It is vitally important the batsmen all contribute for England bearing in mind the elongated tail they have in this match. England 24 for 0.

Not seen much of crane but haven’t been overly impressed with Woakes ability to deal with the aussie quicks

Woakes is a far more capable batsman than Mason Crane. Crane is a true tail-ender by all accounts. Crane has a first class average with the bat of a fraction over 12 whilst Woakes' average is a fraction over 35.


Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:39 am

England 37 for 1.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:44 am

At drinks England are 39 for 1. Cook 11 Vince 2.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:52 am

Nathan Lyon into the attack after 15 overs.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by compelling and rich on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:53 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:It is vitally important the batsmen all contribute for England bearing in mind the elongated tail they have in this match. England 24 for 0.

Not seen much of crane but haven’t been overly impressed with Woakes ability to deal with the aussie quicks

Woakes is a far more capable batsman than Mason Crane. Crane is a true tail-ender by all accounts. Crane has a first class average with the bat of a fraction over 12 whilst Woakes' average is a fraction over 35.

Fair enough, would still argue that despite previous form the likes of Ali and Woakes have looked like out and out tailenders on this tour

Don’t think the extended tail will make that much difference

compelling and rich

Posts : 5561
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:55 am

England 43 for 1. Cook 13 Vince 4.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 2:59 am

compelling and rich wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:It is vitally important the batsmen all contribute for England bearing in mind the elongated tail they have in this match. England 24 for 0.

Not seen much of crane but haven’t been overly impressed with Woakes ability to deal with the aussie quicks

Woakes is a far more capable batsman than Mason Crane. Crane is a true tail-ender by all accounts. Crane has a first class average with the bat of a fraction over 12 whilst Woakes' average is a fraction over 35.

Fair enough, would still argue that despite previous form the likes of Ali and Woakes have looked like out and out tailenders on this tour

Don’t think the extended tail will make that much difference

No just saying it is imperative the top order score big as from Ali downwards I don't expect there will be any msjor contributions.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 3:02 am

Lyon gets one to beat Cook's outside edge. That will please Crane seeing there is a bit of turn so early in the match.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 3:03 am

Fifty up for England. 52 for 1. Cook 18 Vince 8.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by compelling and rich on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 3:13 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:It is vitally important the batsmen all contribute for England bearing in mind the elongated tail they have in this match. England 24 for 0.

Not seen much of crane but haven’t been overly impressed with Woakes ability to deal with the aussie quicks

Woakes is a far more capable batsman than Mason Crane. Crane is a true tail-ender by all accounts. Crane has a first class average with the bat of a fraction over 12 whilst Woakes' average is a fraction over 35.

Fair enough, would still argue that despite previous form the likes of Ali and Woakes have looked like out and out tailenders on this tour

Don’t think the extended tail will make that much difference

No just saying it is imperative the top order score big as from Ali downwards I don't expect there will be any msjor contributions.

Oh I agree, but that’s been the case in nearly every innings bar broads swish

compelling and rich

Posts : 5561
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 3:15 am

England move onto 64 for 1. Cook 22 Vince 16.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 3:17 am

compelling and rich wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:It is vitally important the batsmen all contribute for England bearing in mind the elongated tail they have in this match. England 24 for 0.

Not seen much of crane but haven’t been overly impressed with Woakes ability to deal with the aussie quicks

Woakes is a far more capable batsman than Mason Crane. Crane is a true tail-ender by all accounts. Crane has a first class average with the bat of a fraction over 12 whilst Woakes' average is a fraction over 35.

Fair enough, would still argue that despite previous form the likes of Ali and Woakes have looked like out and out tailenders on this tour

Don’t think the extended tail will make that much difference

No just saying it is imperative the top order score big as from Ali downwards I don't expect there will be any msjor contributions.

Oh I agree, but that’s been the case in nearly every innings bar broads swish

Yes but Woakes has weighed in with 20+ scores in the series and Overton with 44. Their replacements don't have those sort of scores in them.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 3:24 am

Vince looks a little less comfortable facing Lyon.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 3:29 am

Partnership beginning to build as it reaches 43. England 71 for 1.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by Pal Joey on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 3:32 am

Get the feeling Vince wants to take Lyon on.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Posts : 48483
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : On the plains

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 3:34 am

Yes I reckon he is concious of getting tied down by Lyon and is trying to make things happen.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 3:35 am

The 50 partnership up. England 78 for 1. Cook 28 Vince 24.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 3:41 am

Cook unleashes back-to-back boundaries off Lyon and at drinks England reach 86 for 1. Cook just 8 runs short of 12,000 runs in test cricket.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 3:47 am

Sloppy slopoy sloppy. Vince wafts at a wide Cummins delivery and caught by Paine. Vince goes for 25. Kamikaze shot. England 88 for 2.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by compelling and rich on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 3:49 am

Awful way to get out by Vince again

compelling and rich

Posts : 5561
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 3:51 am

That was a typical Vince innings and dismissal. A carbon copy of his other innings.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 3:59 am

England 95 for 2. Cook 39 Root 5.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 4:02 am

Big shout for lbw against Cook. Reviewed.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 4:02 am

Looks plumb to me.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 4:03 am

And out. Hazlewood srikes. Cook exits for 39. England on the ropes now on 95 for 3.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by compelling and rich on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 4:07 am

Another really tight drs goes against England again. Really haven’t had much luck with them this series

compelling and rich

Posts : 5561
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 4:10 am

Hundred up for England. 100 for 3. England need a big partnership here.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 4:41 am

At tea England are 122 for 3. Australia's session. England would have wanted one less wicket perhaps two falling in that session to feel happy about it.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 4:43 am

For England to get back on an even keel they need to reach close on around 240 for 4 (no worse than that).
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 5:29 am

England need this pair to tough it out. 128 for 3. The partnership is 33. Root 22 Malan 16.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 5:58 am

Partnership now up to 60. England 155 for 3 Root 41 Malan 24.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 6:05 am

Khawaja has just done a Simon Jones. Sliding to stop a boundary but knee got stuck in the turf and looked mighty painful. He is hobbling and drinks are taken with England 160 for 3. Root 42 Malan 28
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 6:07 am

Khawaja fit to continue.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by Pal Joey on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 6:16 am

Good to see him walking off unaided... it could have been much, much worse.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Posts : 48483
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : On the plains

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 6:20 am

England 168 for 3. Fifty up for Root. Can he covert this into a century?
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 6:20 am

The Loaded Dog wrote:Good to see him walking off unaided... it could have been much, much worse.

Indeed. It looked very nasty.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by Pal Joey on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 6:21 am

Missed run out chance. Not the greatest of relay throws from Paine back to the bowler's end.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Posts : 48483
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : On the plains

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 6:23 am

The Loaded Dog wrote:Missed run out chance. Not the greatest of relay throws from Paine back to the bowler's end.

Or a throw direct to the other end would have done.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 6:31 am

Malan dropped on 34 by Steve Smith off Lyon's bowling.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 17833
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 50
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by Pal Joey on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 6:31 am

Now Smith misses one... quite late and low off his right foot.

Think Paine must have called for it, Craig but you're right - wrong end.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Posts : 48483
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : On the plains

Back to top Go down

Re: The Ashes: 5th Test, Sydney

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum