The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown

+11
king_carlos
rIck_dAgless
RiscaGame
Crimey
Pal Joey
JuliusHMarx
JDizzle
Samo
Galted
Soul Requiem
Dolphin Ziggler
15 posters

Go down

Most Suitable Series to Binge in Lockdown (VOTE FOR TWO)

The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_lcap11%The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 4 ]
The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_lcap8%The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 3 ]
The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_lcap8%The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 3 ]
The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_lcap11%The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 4 ]
[ 3 ]
The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_lcap5%The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
[ 3 ]
The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_lcap0%The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 4 ]
The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_lcap5%The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
[ 3 ]
The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_lcap3%The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_lcap3%The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_lcap0%The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 37

Poll closed

The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Empty The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 15 Apr 2020, 11:05 am

Well, after a brief hiatus to celebrate my birthday (wild one, I can tell you) and getting too obsessed with playing Championship Manager 01/02, I am back on this Covid Culture Cup craic.

Round two is Best Series to Watch in Lockdown. Please vote for the two you believe fulfil the criteria the best.

Round Three is Best Way to Stay Sane in Lockdown. Gimme a few choices because some of you will say the same thing, somehow, because at least two of you will say walk and at least two of you will say a word only one letter different to that (talk and wail are not that word).

A notable mention to PJ, for checking how I am and giving me an update on things in Australia - I appreciate it enough to mention it here, but I'm also too lazy to open my messages again and reply. A mention too to Jimbo, who gave an explanation of his choices, which will be posted in the comments.

The results of the last round are in, which see the following standings:

Gotta Get Out of this Place - 8
Don't Stand So Close to Me - 7
I Touch Myself - 6
I'm so Ronery - 5
I Think We're Alone Now - 4
I'm Bored - 3
Enjoy the Silence - 2
Living in a Box - 2
Are You Lonesome Tonight? - 2
Help the Aged - 2
Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - 1
Thank God I'm a Lizard - 1
Dead Flag Blues - 1
Soup is Good Food - 1
0 for the rest

Which means our leaderboard is as follows:

Guildford 8
King Carlos 7
Dolphin Ziggler 6
JDizzle 5
Beer 4
Well Past It 3
Samo 2
Jimbo 2
Dagless 2
Risca 2
Soul 1
PJ 1
Superfly 1
Galted 1
Aflie 0
Jules 0
Tiger Tattie 0
Crimey 0
Luke 0

Last edited by Dolphin Ziggler on Mon 20 Apr 2020, 4:00 pm; edited 4 times in total

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Empty Re: The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 15 Apr 2020, 11:07 am

JimboPip wrote:Cordon...Belgian series set in Antwerp: killer virus gets loose from government laboratory, city put into quarantine, social order disintegrates. 

The Killing Someone said Twin Peaks meets 24. Autistic detective in big wooly jumpers. Totally engrossing whodunnit.

The Leftovers 2% of the world's population disappear instantaneously! How do we continue living normally when everything has changed, but still remains the same? Can I ask that Mrs Fletcher (which is also based on a Tom Perrota novel be added as a "digestif" we've only had five episodes so far so it's more a sandwich wrapper than a box set, but it too is very funny, sexy, sad and challenging.

Vikings Every episode up till Ragnar Lothbrook dies. Historically accurate, has the Anglo Saxons speaking old English(subtitled) when the Norsemen are listening to them and the Norsemen speaking old Norwegian when they answer, also has Lagatha showing us ...well everything a boy would want to see in a shield maiden.

Gavin and Stacey utterly brilliant. The sense of social isolation would be lessened by losing ourselves in the lives and loves of the extended families from Barry Island and Billericay.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown Empty Re: The COVID-19 Culture Cup Round Two Voting - Best TV Series for Lockdown

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 15 Apr 2020, 11:08 am

Apologies for the delay. Beer is right to be aghast: beheadings are fine, delaying the CC is not

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 15 Apr 2020, 12:14 pm

Malcolm Tucker, what a man.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 15 Apr 2020, 1:09 pm

Went for Breaking Bad (because it's brilliant) and Detectorists (because it keeps the wife too entertained to bother with any nagging/criticising). Was tempted to go for Peep Show but I didn't as I'm not a slave to temptation.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Wed 15 Apr 2020, 2:24 pm

Breaking Bad is the best TV show ever, and I’ve really been enjoying Better Call Saul. Some excellent choices up there.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 15 Apr 2020, 4:10 pm

Samo wrote:Breaking Bad is the best TV show ever, and I’ve really been enjoying Better Call Saul. Some excellent choices up there.

Really struggled to get into it but once I did I was hooked. It took me longer to get through first the first two episodes than the other 58 combined. I'd put it up there with Brideshead Revisited and The Wire as the best series ever.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 15 Apr 2020, 4:16 pm

Tried BB for nearly two seasons, and just never got into it. TTOI by far the best show on there (bar my own obviously)- could watch them over and over again.

Thoroughly enjoying Quiz on ITV at the moment though - only three episodes so hardly binge worthy but it is excellent. Sheen as Tarrant is uncanny. My brother has given me his Disney log in too, so am cracking through S1-10 of the Simpsons and the early episodes remember superb and there are more quality episodes than I remembered!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 15 Apr 2020, 4:29 pm

Might abstain, as I'm genuinely not bothered about watching any of those, including my own pick which was only chosen for the highest number of episodes.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 16 Apr 2020, 9:35 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Might abstain, as I'm genuinely not bothered about watching any of those, including my own pick which was only chosen for the highest number of episodes.

Mercenary.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 16 Apr 2020, 9:42 am

If you havent watched it yet I’d thoroughly recommend Tiger King. Its an absolute rollercoaster and it only gets more and more crazy. A gay, tiger breeder, meth smoker, tadger piercer, mayoral and presidential hopeful, a three way gay marriage and an attempted murder for hire plot.

And thats just one guy!

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 16 Apr 2020, 10:20 am

Feel sorry for the big cats having that guy around them.

Samo, do you think Carole Baskin fed the first husband to one of them? I note that no body has ever been found.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 16 Apr 2020, 11:23 am

Galted wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Might abstain, as I'm genuinely not bothered about watching any of those, including my own pick which was only chosen for the highest number of episodes.

Mercenary.

Thanks for voting for it.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 16 Apr 2020, 11:32 am

Pal Joey wrote:
Do you think Carole Baskin fed the first husband to one of them? I note that no body has ever been found.

I don't think so. That guy was super dodgy and likely died doing some dodgy scheme, wouldn't be surprised if he was offed by whoever he was dealing with in Central America. 

That said, Carole Baskin is a very strange woman and not much better than the rest of the owners - she's just slightly better at handling the PR of wanting to own loads of tigers and lions.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 16 Apr 2020, 11:37 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Galted wrote:

Mercenary.

Thanks for voting for it.

Ba$tard.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 16 Apr 2020, 12:19 pm

I have only properly watched the one I submitted, so I voted for Tiger King as I have watched one episode and SOA, as I have at least been meaning to start that.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 16 Apr 2020, 1:41 pm

I submitted mine as it amused me, and voted the same.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 16 Apr 2020, 2:56 pm

Pal Joey wrote:Feel sorry for the big cats having that guy around them.

Samo, do you think Carole Baskin fed the first husband to one of them? I note that no body has ever been found.

I think the most likely scenario is that he faked his own death. However, while she may not have killed her husband Im pretty sure she knows more than she's letting on about what happened to him. It all adds to the mystery.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 16 Apr 2020, 3:06 pm

Samo wrote:

I think the most likely scenario is that he faked his own death.  However, while she may not have killed her husband Im pretty sure she knows more than she's letting on about what happened to him.  It all adds to the mystery.

The only thing that makes me think he didn't fake his death was because all of his money was left with his wife. Surely he'd want a big chunk of that money?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 16 Apr 2020, 4:10 pm

Crimey wrote:
Samo wrote:

I think the most likely scenario is that he faked his own death.  However, while she may not have killed her husband Im pretty sure she knows more than she's letting on about what happened to him.  It all adds to the mystery.

The only thing that makes me think he didn't fake his death was because all of his money was left with his wife. Surely he'd want a big chunk of that money?

Unless he had something to hide and just wanted to get away, and the lost money was a price worth paying.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 17 Apr 2020, 2:34 pm

Detectorists. What a TV show. Absolutely brilliant stuff from Mackenzie Crook.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 17 Apr 2020, 6:03 pm

king_carlos wrote:Detectorists. What a TV show. Absolutely brilliant stuff from Mackenzie Crook.

The death metal in Botswana bit had me choking on a chicken goujon.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 18 Apr 2020, 8:31 am

Having overlooked entering anything for round two I have now voted for the only two I've actually watched :Line of Duty and Sons of Anarchy (and have to confess I have only seen the odd episode of the latter)
Been meaning to try Breaking Bad so now might be a good time...

Bit surprised no one nominated The Walking Dead ? Apart from its almost topical nature it has about 200 episodes so ought to just about last out the virus...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 18 Apr 2020, 12:17 pm

I have to say I am surprised and slightly disappointed that no one has commented on Cordon (or voted for it). As we are possibly heading towards selective lockdowns to move us out of our nationwide lockdown I thought a drama about what happens when just one city is placed in quarantine might be worth looking at. You guys. picard

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 18 Apr 2020, 1:13 pm

I am here to say The Thick Of It is just a hugely overrated British sitcom.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 18 Apr 2020, 8:12 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I am here to say The Thick Of It is just a hugely overrated British sitcom.

No way - Thick of It is fantastic. I think many people overrate specifically Malcolm Tucker swearing, but the show as a whole is really good!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sun 19 Apr 2020, 5:36 am

alfie wrote:

Bit surprised no one nominated The Walking Dead ? Apart from its almost topical nature it has about 200 episodes so ought to just about last out the virus...

Im more surprised no ones nominated either The Sopranos or The Wire. If theres any two shows that come close to the excellence of Breaking Bad then its them.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 19 Apr 2020, 7:45 am

very much agree on The Sopranos, but I was looking for shows that would have relevance to being in Lockdown. I probably hadn't really read the instructions carefully enough. besides for anyone Lockeddown alone all those hours in Tony Soprano's company and then watching him arrange his own murder may prove too traumatic. Crying or Very sad

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 19 Apr 2020, 10:50 pm

jimbopip wrote:I have to say I am surprised and slightly disappointed that no one has commented on Cordon (or voted for it). As we are possibly heading towards selective lockdowns to move us out of our nationwide lockdown I thought a drama about what happens when just one city is placed in quarantine might be worth looking at. You guys. picard

You mean it’s not a program about the annoying fella from Gavin and Stacey???
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 20 Apr 2020, 9:22 am

tigertattie picard picard picard

Actually, good on you mate. we need a bit of Scottish poster nonsense on here to lighten the mood sometimes. By the way; yer castle's mince pal. Just saying.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 20 Apr 2020, 10:16 am

Crimey wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I am here to say The Thick Of It is just a hugely overrated British sitcom.

No way - Thick of It is fantastic. I think many people overrate specifically Malcolm Tucker swearing, but the show as a whole is really good!

It really is brilliant TV. The finale was very very good.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 20 Apr 2020, 1:08 pm

jimbopip wrote:tigertattie picard picard picard

Actually, good on you mate. we need a bit of Scottish poster nonsense on here to lighten the mood sometimes. By the way; yer castle's mince pal. Just saying.

The best nonsense is Scottish Nonsense! Hug

But really, James Corden is a blight on society. If the next culture cup round is "funny folk to watch on tele" then anyone who puts up Corden, unless just to noise me up, should be publically flogged and made to leave this board forever!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down