The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

+32
Brendan
Welshmushroom
lostinwales
Tramptastic
CaptainHaddock
Dollar Bill
sensisball
nickj
mikey_dragon
Gicater
Anglobraveheart
Mcsweens
TheMildlyFranticLlama
LeinsterFan4life
Kingshu
TJ
Pete330v2
Highland Shaun
formerly known as Sam
tigertattie
RiscaGame
demosthenes
EWT Spoons
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
bsando
EST
George Carlin
NeilyBroon
RDW
BigGee
Hazel Sapling
36 posters

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 20 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 1 Feb - 12:12

First topic message reminder :

A continuation on previous threads discussing the past, the present and the future of Scottish rugby. A dose a day, keeps optimism away

Halfway through a Covid season and not far from the Rainbow cups, both teams are on the precipice of missing out on the top tier in Europe next year. The Rainbow Cup is a well thought out idea of including sides from South Africa, the home to a new Covid variant that vaccines may not work on, with international travel involving several regions of Europe.

Glasgow Squad

LH: Kebble, Bhatti, Lambert
Hooker: F Brown, Turner, Stewart, Matthews,
TH: Z Fagerson, Berghan, Pieretto, McCallum, McQuillan
Locks: Cummings, R Gray, Harley, McDonald, Bain, Bean
Back Row: Wilson, Gordon, M Fagerson, Darge, Dempsey, Miller, G Brown

SH: Price, G Horne, Dobie, Kennedy
FH: Weir, Miotti, P Horne, Thompson
Centres: S Johnson, McDowall, Tuipulotu, Grigg, Fergusson
Back Three: McLean, Forbes, McKay, Cancelliere, Tagive, Steyn, O Smith

Edinburgh Squad

LH: Schoeman, Venter, Grahamslaw
Hooker: McInally, Cherry, McBurney, Harrison
TH: Nel, De Bruin, Atalifo, Williams
Locks: Gilchrist, Toolis, Young, Hodgson, Sykes, Phillips
Back Row: Mata, Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury, Crosbie, Haining, Boyle, Kunavula, Muncaster

SH: Pyrgos, Vellacott, Shiel
FH: VDW, Chamberlain, Savala
Centres: Lang, Taylor, Bennett, Dean, Johnstone, Venter, Currie, Hutchison
Back Three: Graham, Kinghorn, Hoyland, Blain, Bofelli, Moyano, Immelman, Owsley

Previous Thread
https://www.606v2.com/t69760-the-glasgow-and-edinburgh-general-chat-discussions-are-limited-to-6-people-before-10pm-to-prevent-the-spread-of-jimboish
https://www.606v2.com/t69555-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-24-covid-funtimes?highlight=banter
https://www.606v2.com/t69038-glasgow-and-edinburgh-banter-thread-no-23-new-season-new-thread?highlight=banter

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Tue 27 Jul - 14:58; edited 13 times in total

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jul - 11:07

Edinburgh sign a couple of Argentinian wingers. Both are capped and top level experience.

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/edinburgh-rugby-swoop-for-pair-of-pumas

Good signings but that's a lot of non-scottish wingers at Edinburgh!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by Anglobraveheart Tue 27 Jul - 13:09

George Carlin wrote:
Anglobraveheart wrote:Shame about Wyn Jones, but it gives others a chance. That's life.
There was talk in the press that SA may swap their starting front row. I dunno if that will make much difference on our chaps. There's some guff elsewhere about RS not being up to it, but he pretty much got stuck in for 60 mins and took the onslaught of the first half.
By the time BV came on for his 20 minute effort, the first thing he did was flop down like a flounder.
RS will settle better in the second game. He needs to start
I hope Finn is involved, as Farrell is just off. Turgid.
And we need Harris on at 13, as Elliot Daly disappeared after he got flattened.
Yes, I think that the fans from other nations have a lot of entitlement when it comes to expecting to see their nation's players in a starting 23. Displacing that has been the cause of a lot of angst on these boards.

4 years is a long time in rugby and quite a few of the players who did well against New Zealand in 2017 (eg Farrell, Murray, Faletau, Liam Williams) are simply not playing as well now. That's why form in the 6N this year mattered so much to Gatland.
Having seen the SA starting front row, I think RS may be on an awful lot sooner than the last 20 mins. There will only be so many flopping down penalties that the starting LH can give away.
RS may well be on 20 mins after the start.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 27 Jul - 14:56

RDW wrote:Edinburgh sign a couple of Argentinian wingers. Both are capped and top level experience.

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/edinburgh-rugby-swoop-for-pair-of-pumas

I can't imagine either is particularly expensive though I am not sure what the logic is about letting Sau and Kyle Rowe leave.

Both should help in the short term in of themselves and fingers cross Blair institutes a bit more of an attacking flair.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jul - 22:28

Hazel Sapling wrote:
RDW wrote:Edinburgh sign a couple of Argentinian wingers. Both are capped and top level experience.

I can't imagine either is particularly expensive though I am not sure what the logic is about letting Sau and Kyle Rowe leave.

Both should help in the short term in of themselves and fingers cross Blair institutes a bit more of an attacking flair.

TBF these guys are pretty high caliber signings. One of them is in the Argentina squad for the upcoming Rugby Championship and both have over 30 caps. Moyano scored a hell of a try against the All Blacks in the last few years too

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 28 Jul - 6:54

RDW wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:

TBF these guys are pretty high caliber signings. One of them is in the Argentina squad for the upcoming Rugby Championship and both have over 30 caps. Moyano scored a hell of a try against the All Blacks in the last few years too

Both coming from Toulon and R92 respectively and have played at a high level. Great signings if you ask me, excited to see what they can do!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 1 Aug - 17:21

I watched the Ayr v Watsonnians Super 6 game on Freesport this afternoon.

Not a bad game, bearing in mind that they have not played for so long and if you factor in that semi pros just can't play multi phase indefinitely without making a mistake!

Was probably more enjoyable than SA v The Lions, though that does not say a lot!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 3 Aug - 11:11

Glasgow sign up TH Ewan McQuillin for an undisclosed contract (likely one year). He will be our journryman prop it would seem. A decent set piece performer, who seems to have hung around a bit for his chance.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu 5 Aug - 7:58

So, see as the other "scottish lions" thread got locked down for pointless bickering, i'd like to extend my thoughts on the original spirit of the post: I'm proud that we got more scots picked for the tour and im proud that the majority of them have been heavily involved in the tests.

Players who have changed peoples opinions positively: Price & Harris

Players who have restated their pedigree/can hack it at this level: Hogg, Sutherland

Players who have developed a cult following: The 'Mish

Players who didn't take their opportunity: Fagerson

I'm proud of them all, gutted for Watson who, despite everything he did in the warm ups, couldnt earn a test start. Especially proud of Price & Harris though, they've really shown up on tour and, arguably, if Price had started the 2nd test the Lions tempo would have significantly increased and could have resulted in a closer game.

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu 5 Aug - 8:15

Please can we keep this thread as a Lions free safe space, and use the international section for anything Lions related? The whole tour is such a garbage fire of partisan bickering that I don’t want it to taint these threads too!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 5 Aug - 8:23

I think it is a shame that Fagerson got injured before the Japan game, had he played in that, he may well have been perceived to have had a better tour, as he would have had more opportunity.

Unfortunately, in these shortened Lions tours these days, players often only get one start in the preliminaries and therefore only one chance. Zander unfortunately did not really impress in his shot. He played better in subsequent sub appearance but by then his card had been marked. He will hopefully be a better player for getting the opportunity and is young enough to get another crack, assuming the Lions carries on.

I would say that Sutherland and Hoggy have been a little disappointing in all honesty. Sutherland not showing his best form, maybe he was not quite up to speed post injury, he had been out for a good while prior to the tour and had not played any rugby for a while.

Hoggy will be disappointed in himself for his performance in the second test. Maybe he just wanted that Lions test cap to much as he seemed uncharacteristically nervous. I hope he is not to hard on himself about it.

Harris, Price and Watson have played as well as anyone else on the tour and better than many with bigger reputations!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 5 Aug - 8:24

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:Please can we keep this thread as a Lions free safe space, and use the international section for anything Lions related? The whole tour is such a garbage fire of partisan bickering that I don’t want it to taint these threads too!

Yes probably a good idea!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu 5 Aug - 11:11

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:Please can we keep this thread as a Lions free safe space, and use the international section for anything Lions related? The whole tour is such a garbage fire of partisan bickering that I don’t want it to taint these threads too!

Apologies! Happy to de-lions my previous comment, i too am sick of reading the partisan nonsense and was hoping to find a safe space for regular nonsense here is all Hug

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 5 Aug - 11:22

Not rugby related, but Josh Kerr, the brother of Jake, just made the 1500m final at the Olympic games, along with Jack Wightman, another Edinburgh boy. Very impressive from both of them and the third British guy from Wales who made it as well. 3 in the final, first time since the glory days of Coe, Ovett and Cram!

Edinburgh may be cr*p at rugby, but it does look like they do have a good runner or two about the town Run

BigGee
Admin
Admin

TheMildlyFranticLlama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 6 Aug - 9:34

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/hodge-leaves-edinburgh-rugby

Finally!

RDW
Founder
Founder

TheMildlyFranticLlama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 6 Aug - 9:51

Mr Teflon finally gets the shepherds crook, how he has managed to survive for the past 12 years at Edinburgh will forever remain a Scottish Rugby mystery.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 6 Aug - 10:19

Morning amigos boxing

totally agree about the rather imbecilic bickering on the Lions' thread. (spell check told me I had misspelled "imbecilic". I was tempted to leave it as an example of post-modernist irony. Spellcheck also told me I had misspelled misspelled. )

The sooner the Turd Test is over the better.

Anyhoo. When can we begin lacerating one and other? Blair? Spent a fortnight at a rugby club and now thinks he's the new Messiah and the Luvvies are the East Coast Lazaruses.

The Annual Slaughter Of The Effeminates will be as satisfying as ever. Wink

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 6 Aug - 11:23

RDW wrote:https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/hodge-leaves-edinburgh-rugby

Finally!

Oh happy days!! That is fantastic news, I may allow myself to dream of better days to come for Edinburgh now Very Happy

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 6 Aug - 12:05

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
RDW wrote:https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/hodge-leaves-edinburgh-rugby

Finally!

Oh happy days!! That is fantastic news, I may allow myself to dream of better days to come for Edinburgh now  when Blair tries to get the Luvvies copying the high standards he saw first hand at the home of The Once And Future Champions. Very Happy

really, really bored with Warrenball, Rassierants and all the bickering on the Lions thread. Oh how I have missed being able to fecc up the quote function. Yahoo

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 6 Aug - 22:55

jimbopip wrote:
TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:

Finally!

Oh happy days!! That is fantastic news, I may allow myself to dream of better days to come for Edinburgh now  when Blair tries to get the Luvvies copying the high standards he saw first hand at the home of The Once And Future Champions. Very Happy

really, really bored with Warrenball, Rassierants and all the bickering on the Lions thread. Oh how I have missed being able to fecc up the quote function. Yahoo

Weegie fans suddenly seem very nervous censored

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 7 Aug - 11:52

Wow, Josh Kerr just won an Olympic bronze medal in the 1500m

Rugby's loss was athletics gain, an amazing performance!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 8 Aug - 10:13

Finally!

A joyous day for the Edinburgh backs. No brainer decision from Blair, and hugely encouraging. For years the backline has looked lost and disjointed, and whilst I'm furious that we lost two Lions in Duhan and Sutherland, I have some optimism that a new coaching team will improve the side.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 8 Aug - 10:31

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Finally!

A joyous day for the Edinburgh backs. No brainer decision from Blair, and hugely encouraging. For years the backline has looked lost and disjointed, and whilst I'm furious that we lost two Lions in Duhan and Sutherland, I have some optimism that a new coaching team will improve the side.

You would hope and imagine that Blair had asked for his own team as part of the deal of taking the job.

Still he had the balls to do it, he presumably knows Hodge well and they were team mates as well, so not an easy thing to do. It bodes well for him as a coach if he is willing to make the hard calls!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 8 Aug - 10:53

https://twitter.com/hamishwatson7

Hodge departure from Edinburgh not the only era that's ending it seems!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 8 Aug - 15:29

Not funny, I thought Hamish was leaving when I read your post! Losing three Lions would be somewhat careless!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 8 Aug - 20:04

I understand that most teams can't afford such luxuries as VDM on the wing, but also losing Sutherland is huge. Edinburgh won't threaten for the title unless they have a LH just as good. Are the funds tight? It might be a similar situation in Glasgow. Imagine if they still had Finn, Hastings and Hogg in the same backline!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 8 Aug - 20:06

BigGee wrote:https://twitter.com/hamishwatson7

Hodge departure from Edinburgh not the only era that's ending it seems!

For the best that era has ended. Nice to see the clip between him and Dosser Smith on there as well. Missed that originally. Dosser is a cult hero down here in Leicestershire.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 8 Aug - 20:26

mikey_dragon wrote:I understand that most teams can't afford such luxuries as VDM on the wing, but also losing Sutherland is huge. Edinburgh won't threaten for the title unless they have a LH just as good. Are the funds tight? It might be a similar situation in Glasgow. Imagine if they still had Finn, Hastings and Hogg in the same backline!

What if, what if!

That unfortunately is the economic model for Scottish rugby, players will always move on, for financial gain (though it does seem that we do pay competitive rates to the right players) or for other reasons, life experience and the desire to play in different leagues and bigger clubs.

If Wales did not tie their players, the same thing would happen!

The reality is, with two clubs, we need our players to turn over, to allow new talent to come through.

Glasgow will be competitive this year and are building again nicely.

Edinburgh with a new coach is less clear, but likely Cockers had gone as far as he could with a tslentrd but under performing team.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 8 Aug - 23:50

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 9 Aug - 18:53

mikey_dragon wrote:I understand that most teams can't afford such luxuries as VDM on the wing, but also losing Sutherland is huge. Edinburgh won't threaten for the title unless they have a LH just as good. Are the funds tight? It might be a similar situation in Glasgow. Imagine if they still had Finn, Hastings and Hogg in the same backline!

I suspect part of the LH issue is that Edinburgh have Pierre Schoeman, who was favoured ahead of Sutherland. I dont think Sutherland enjoyed being a clear second choice under Cockers. Schoeman is better in the loose, but can cost penalties in the scrum depending on the ref; he's not unlike Mako. My big concern is if Schoeman gets injured; huge step down.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 9 Aug - 21:50

funnyExiledScot wrote:

I suspect part of the LH issue is that Edinburgh have Pierre Schoeman, who was favoured ahead of Sutherland. I dont think Sutherland enjoyed being a clear second choice under Cockers. Schoeman is better in the loose, but can cost penalties in the scrum depending on the ref; he's not unlike Mako. My big concern is if Schoeman gets injured; huge step down.

Aye there was more than enough room for both. I'm sure money played a large part in it too, particularly given the horrendous injuries Sutherland has been through.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 9 Aug - 23:07

RDW wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Aye there was more than enough room for both. I'm sure money played a large part in it too, particularly given the horrendous injuries Sutherland has been through.

I get that. With his injury record I'd want to maximise cash as well. Seize the day. Still, I firmly believe that he was a keeper and I'd have gladly handed him the pay packet of Hodge to keep him. Having him and Schoeman competing for the LH jersey and sharing 80 minutes would have been ideal for Blair. Both LH's of the highest quality, and with differing skillsets. Imagine having to scrum against Nel and Sutherland on a wet cold winter night in the new stadium...

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 10 Aug - 11:25

It will really depend on the SRU finances and what the budget allows for. Edinburgh heavily invested to retain talent in the back-row (Watson, Ritchie, Mata, Bradbury, Haining), something that looked strange at the time and looks worse now when you consider Darge, Boyle and Crosbie were/are all up-and-coming flankers on smaller wages that could have replaced Watson and/or Mata within the squad.

Blair's order of operations should start with a more expansive attacking playbook that will help the backs and the smaller flankers that Edinburgh has (Ritchie, Watson, Boyle) as well as restoring the confidence of his young FH's (Chamberlain, Savala). Edinburgh not having 4 international props in the 23 should help force the issue a bit.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 10 Aug - 16:27

Well I have just bought a couple of tickets to pop up to Worcester to see the mighty Glasgow Warriors play their pre season game up there. It is only in a month as well, which seems no time at all.

Hard to believe that we may be getting back to some kind of rugby normality this autumn after all the disruption of the past year and a half. The last live rugby game I was at was Italy v Scotland 18 months ago and we pretty much went straight into lockdown as soon as we got back and my retirement plans got put somewhat on hold! We are hoping to go back to Rome next March to see the game again, hopefully by then it will have come the full circle and we will be over all of this.

I doubt that either of the Scottish Lions will be back for Worcester for this one, nor Price nor Zander but it will be good to see the new look Glasgow side in the flesh and to tick off a visit to another Premiership ground. I have only got Newcastle, Wasps, Bristol and London Irish to go now.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 10 Aug - 16:58

If the delightful Lady Gee decides against Woorcestershireville think long and hard before you consign your spare to the recycling.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 10 Aug - 17:22

jimbopip wrote:If the delightful Lady Gee decides against Woorcestershireville think long and hard before you consign your spare to the recycling.

Will do

But i have done a lot of preparatory work on the virtues of the midlands motorway network!

I am quite fortunate that the missus quite enjoys live rugby games, certainly as long as the sun is shining!

She does draw the line at winter games in Scotland unfortunately. Last time i took her to an internarional in November in Edinburgh it took her about 3 days to thaw out and lets just say i was not flavour of the month for a while!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 15 Aug - 10:02

Interesting nugget of information from Mike Blair - apparently Cockers had banned our young players from playing in Super 6, preferring them to be full-time trainers.

First thing Blair did was release Conor Boyle, Nathan Chamberlain and Jordan Venter from pre-season into Super 6.

I'm with Blair on this one - young players need to play!

He's also said he needs a couple of assistants to come in, they're seeking a replacements for Sutherland who was a late departure, and he isn't going to bring in anymore 10s as he wants to explore Kinghorn playing there (not a good decisions IMO!)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 15 Aug - 10:58

Well Kinghorn needs to reinvent himself next season.

He is rapidly slipping down our list of back three players with Forbes showing very good form and Mclean showing great potential. With the new additions in the back three at Edinburgh, they are going to keep him honest as well.

Kinghorn has not progressed for a couple of seasobs now but hopefully some new coaching will be beneficial to him.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 16 Aug - 8:01

RDW wrote:Interesting nugget of information from Mike Blair - apparently Cockers had banned our young players from playing in Super 6, preferring them to be full-time trainers.

First thing Blair did was release Conor Boyle, Nathan Chamberlain and Jordan Venter from pre-season into Super 6.

I'm with Blair on this one - young players need to play!

He's also said he needs a couple of assistants to come in, they're seeking a replacements for Sutherland who was a late departure, and he isn't going to bring in anymore 10s as he wants to explore Kinghorn playing there (not a good decisions IMO!)

That is mad in my opinion. The whole point of it is to get players gametime and to raise standards for any players who develop late.

Nathan Chamberlain in particular lost confidence by the end of the season and getting it back playing semi-pro should have been a priority.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Aug - 4:04

So is anyone really looking forward to the return of the domestic season to get a bit of normality back after a fractious summer? And by normal I of course mean petty bickering with the great unwashed!

From an Edinburgh perspective it does have a feel of a complete re-build, but hopefully not starting from the same baseline as when Cockers came in. It is going to be interesting to see what type of coach Blair is - will he be Townsend 2.0? Either way I'm almost certain we're going to see a more adventurous Edinburgh.

All joking and rivalry aside, Edinburgh do have a lot of talented players but we've never got the best out of them with Cockers and Hodge. Mark Bennett in particular should be enthusiastic, given our 13s have generally been a bit of an afterthought the last 4 years.

Looking at the squad, we've actually get reasonable depth in a lot of positions and a few exciting players coming through. There's some decent signings in there too and we're going to have a lot of competition in the back 3 in particular.

I've taken the current Edinburgh squad list from the website and ranked them in order as I see it just now:

LH - Schoeman, Venter, Grahamslaw
Hooker - McInally, Cherry, McBurny
TH - Nel, Atalifo, De Bruin, Williams
L - Gilchrist, Young, Toolis, Hodgeson, Phillips, Sykes
6 - Ritchie, Kunivalu
7 - Watson, Crosbie, Boyle
8 - Mata, Haining, Bradbury, Muncaster

9 - Vellacott, Shiel, Pyrgos
10 - VDW, Chamberlain, Savala
12 - Lang, Taylor, Dean, Hutchinson
13 - Bennett, Immelman, Johnson, Venter
11/14 - Moyano, Graham, Hoyland, Blain, Owsley
15 - Kinghorn, Boffelli

So the biggest gaps for me are at LH and hooker, particularly with SChoeman and McInally likely to be away a lot. Blair suggested another LH was going to be signed.

Another issue is standoff but Blair has said we're not going to add any more players there, with Kinghorn potentially being developed as a 10.

In terms of what success would look like this season, like most Edinburgh seasons I think we'll get mid table, have a bit of a run in the Challenge Cup and will also win the 1872 again. Given how much change we've had this year that would probably be a good result to build on next season.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 17 Aug - 9:28

Good review, RDW.

Last season was the only club/pro franchise season in a decade which I didn't really follow and so I am expecting to be pleasantly surprised by a clutch of youngfellers whom I don't currently know.

Can Anglo, Big Gee, Hazel, the Mighty Jim or any of the people here who actually know things about Scottish rugby nominate a couple of players to watch out for?

Last edited by George Carlin on Tue 17 Aug - 18:21; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 17 Aug - 11:56

So we have friendlies against Glasgow and Edinburgh....3rd and 10th Sept...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 17 Aug - 12:27

GeordieFalcon wrote:So we have friendlies against Glasgow and Edinburgh....3rd and 10th Sept...
Excellent, Geordie. Whom should we be looking out for from the Toon?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 17 Aug - 13:52

Well the lads capped by England in the summer will probably be involved...LH - Trevor Davison, Hooker - Jamie Blamire, No.8 Callum Chick, Winger Adam Radwan - who is a special player.

We've got a few bruisers in the pack now...Fuser at lock is impressive and you'll remember Greg Peterson who is playing immense rugby.
Then theres Mark Wilson, Gary Graham, Will Welch and Carl Fearns in the back row...aggression and power.

George McGuigan was the best hooker in the prem last season and is reportedly being hunted by Munster now...so next season you could well see him in an Ireland shirt...

Young Ben Stevenson on the wing...is a great little player. He made the prem league team of the season ahead of Radwan (which is incredible) but he was top class...keep an eye on him.

Some good academy lads will probably get a run out...Chidera Obonna (Centre / Wing), Zach Kerr (Centre Wing), Cameron Kelemeti (Scrum half) Phil Brantingham (LH Prop - named by the England U20 set up as the best young LH they have seen in years!)

And of course we've signed the old man....Mike Brown, though Tom Penny has been outstanding at Full back...

And then of course...there is our young Scot, Robbie Smith. He's a 22 year old hooker, only 5'9 but he looks a great little signing...who could very well follow the path of George McGuigan and Blamire to international rugby...

We'll be rough in our first game....but expect some real aggression and physicality...and pace from all over....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Aug - 17:03

George Carlin wrote:Good review, RDW. Creeping to a Flounder...no wonder you got a shiney badge. censored

Can Anglo, Big Gee or Hazel or any of the people here who actually know things about Scottish rugby nominate a couple of players to watch out for? So now we know who your favourites are. I'm not bitter not bitter at all, ya bars tard.

Cole Forbes looks the real deal.
Titman has real pace and an eye for the try line. He had more "wow" moments in his limited appearances last season than the whole of the Luvvies back division put together this century.
Shona has a madmental granny from Maryhill; he should fit in well.
Josh Mackay: no-one has seen him yet but apparently he could be the other real deal.
Domingo Miotti will go from starting Pumas' fly half to third choice at Scotstoun. Behind Meatball and Ross The Wonder Kid
Ollie Smith had some dreadful luck whenever he got a start towards the end of last season (as opposed to Titman who had the Midas touch) but seemingly has loads of potential.

I typed that through gritted teeth.
Next time I'll use my fingers. As the actress said...

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 17 Aug - 18:22

jimbopip wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Good review, RDW.  Creeping to a Flounder...no wonder you got a shiney badge. censored

Can Anglo, Big Gee or Hazel or any of the people here who actually know things about Scottish rugby nominate a couple of players to watch out for? So now we know who your favourites are. I'm not bitter not bitter at all, ya bars tard.

Cole Forbes looks the real deal.
Titman has real pace and an eye for the try line. He had more "wow" moments in his limited appearances last season than the whole of the Luvvies back division put together this century.
Shona has a madmental granny from Maryhill; he should fit in well.
Josh Mackay: no-one has seen him yet but apparently he could be the other real deal.
Domingo Miotti will go from starting Pumas' fly half to third choice at Scotstoun. Behind Meatball and Ross The Wonder Kid
Ollie Smith had some dreadful luck whenever he got a start towards the end of last season (as opposed to Titman who had the Midas touch) but seemingly has loads of potential.

I typed that through gritted teeth.
Next time I'll use my fingers. As the actress said...
Have corrected my original post. You're still my favourite madman, James. kiss
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Aug - 19:03

George, just for you a non rugby but family based story.
Last week Bigson phoned; he had taken on a new client who needed drivers plus mates for urgent deliveries at the weekend. One of the routes had four deliveries in the Glasgow area: did I fancy a Saturday night in Glasgow? Do Tories like PPE contracts?
Big son and I had a civilised, very sober evening in the west end. On the way back to our hotel we were passing the GUU and I mentioned that was were I met his mother. He suggested going in for a quick one.
We were stopped at the door by a bouncer who asked if we were members. "Of course! I am a life member so stand aside, lackey" said I. Or words to that effect. The bouncer looks slightly puzzled and two student typescame over to find out what was going on. Turns out they were the President of the union and the entertainment Secretary. Anyhoo, they invited usin and insisted on buying us drinks. They started asking about the old days and I began rolling out the stories. The more stories I told the more drinks the put in front of me. Bigson and I got a lovely tour of the Union and sometime after midnight bid them a fond farewell. At breakfast Bigson asked "So what is Daft Friday? And why are they going to send you and mum guest tickets for it?"
Bru says that Jimbo telling a story about telling stories is meta.

P.s. Warriors have a young prop Lambert who looks "tasty".

jimbopip

EST, BigGee and TheMildlyFranticLlama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 17 Aug - 20:31

Thank you GC, but did not watch much of the Rainbow Cup to be honest. From reading around this forum, Offside Line and from my occasional watching (living with the gf has really hampered my ability to watch the games appropriately).

TL;DR: I would keep an eye out on Lambert (LH) and Darge (OS) at Glasgow as both could get significant time. At Edinburgh, Muncaster (no. 8) is the guy I would keep an eye out for from a RWC 2023 discussion point of view and Chamberlain (FH) as an indication of whether Blair is able to make an impact on the backs.

For Glasgow, the key young players who proved themselves repeatedly through last year were Ross Thompson and McLean who are both fringe Scotland candidates at this point.

There were several players who had moments late in the season including:

Tom Lambert (LH) - may actually be Aussie but held up well in the scrum as a 20 year old (unlike George Thornton who got mullered so badly his contract was left to expire and has to work his way back via Super 6) and looks to put in work around the field. Potential Scotland hopeful after RWC2023 as part of the build to RWC2027 though he is in the small but mobile side like Dell rather than the Kebble/Schoeman mould.

Gregor Brown (BS) - went down to a knee injury after a couple of good performances off the bench. Kind of forgotten about with the arrival of the next guy though Brown is a 6 if memory serves and I am really hoping we can look after him better than we did Flockhart and M Smith.

Rory Darge (OS) - taken off Edinburgh and immediately putting in MotM performances, going to be pushing Gordon for his place as a Glasgow starter and fringe Scotland team member.

Smith (FB) - think he got yellow carded his first 2 professional games and had a particular mare in the first one. Highly rated but has not shown it so far and will have to earn his time at 15 with Forbes, McKay and McLean all capable.

For Edinburgh, the key guy who came through was Blain (messed around in positions but looks a good back three player). Several young players had moments though

Grahamslaw (LH) - had a couple of decent games according to reviews and at 6'4, 124kg is a similar build to Ollie Kebble. At 22, he is competing with Lambert as a young hopeful and there should be serious game time on offer with Sutherland leaving.

Boyle (OS) - got a good review in what little he has played. Similar to Darge and hence they were split up a season too late as 1 would have had great opportunities at Glasgow. With Watson due a long break at the start of the season, he is competing with Crosbie for playing time and we will either see quite a bit of him or nothing at all.

Muncaster (no. 8) - was highly touted as a youngster and has so far delivered at u20s and looked decent when he has played for Edinburgh. If he can keep improving this year, he has the potential to become a long term competitor to M Fagerson for Scotland in the way that Bradbury should have been.

Chamberlain (FH) - started the season well before having a couple of mares and was hooked for the rest of the season. Rebuilding his confidence and giving him actual back moves to use will be key as he has so much potential as shown at U20s and early in the season.

Savala (FH) - replaced Chamberlain and did alright. As with Chamberlain, young and has potential but will need to see more of a gameplan from Blair before figuring out what he is.

Hutchison (IC) - got good reviews in the Rainbow Cup and was given a 1 year contract on the back of it. A nearly man who has taken his opportunity and may light a fire under Dean and G Taylor as there may not be space for all 3.

Hazel Sapling

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Aug - 21:59

jimbopip wrote:George, just for you a non rugby but family based story.
Last week Bigson phoned; he had taken on a new client who needed drivers plus mates for urgent deliveries at the weekend.  One of the routes had four deliveries in the Glasgow area: did I fancy a Saturday night in Glasgow? Do Tories like PPE contracts?
Big son and I had a civilised, very sober evening in the west end. On the way back to our hotel we were passing the GUU and I mentioned that was were I met his mother. He suggested going in for a quick one.  
We were stopped at the door by a bouncer who asked if we were members.  "Of course!  I am a life member so stand aside, lackey" said I. Or words to that effect.  The bouncer looks slightly puzzled and two student typescame over to find out what was going on. Turns out they were the President of the union and the entertainment Secretary. Anyhoo, they invited usin and insisted on buying us drinks. They started asking about the old days and I began rolling out the stories. The more stories I told the more drinks the put in front of me. Bigson and I got a lovely tour of the Union and sometime after midnight bid them a fond farewell.  At breakfast Bigson asked "So what is Daft Friday? And why are they going to send you and mum guest tickets for it?"

I've actually missed these stories! Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 18 Aug - 8:15

It'll be interesting to see how Edinburgh go this season.

From a lot of the pre season stuff coming out of Edinburgh Savala is getting a lot of mentions. I wonder if he's pushing ahead of the others to be 1st/2nd choice, or if they are just bigging the young lad up.

Geordie - Edinburgh vs the Falcons is on the 11th. Just flagging in case you were planning on travelling up for the game.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 18 Aug - 10:49

RDW wrote:
jimbopip wrote:George, just for you a non rugby but family based story.
Last week Bigson phoned; he had taken on a new client who needed drivers plus mates for urgent deliveries at the weekend.  One of the routes had four deliveries in the Glasgow area: did I fancy a Saturday night in Glasgow? Do Tories like PPE contracts?
We were stopped at the door by a bouncer who asked if we were members.  "Of course!  I am a life member so stand aside, lackey" said I. Or words to that effect.  The bouncer looks slightly puzzled and two student typescame over to find out what was going on. Turns out they were the President of the union and the entertainment Secretary. Anyhoo, they invited usin and insisted on buying us drinks. They started asking about the old days and I began rolling out the stories. The more stories I told the more drinks the put in front of me. Bigson and I got a lovely tour of the Union and sometime after midnight bid them a fond farewell.  At breakfast Bigson asked "So what is Daft Friday? And why are they going to send you and mum guest tickets for it?"

I've actually missed these stories! Laugh
Me too. Thank god the Lions is done and we can get back to our own brand of nonsense.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

jimbopip and TheMildlyFranticLlama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next