The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

+34
welshjohn369
Pal Joey
Gibson
rhino-dragon
robbo277
Standulstermen
WillyGilly
Ozzy3213
PenfroPete
Rava
mickyt
Mickado
RuggerRadge2611
Suspicious lurker
Breadvan
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
nottins
Cymroglan
The_Hound_of_Harrow
Luckless Pedestrian
prop_lyd
Glas a du
rodders
greybeard
MBTGOG
Adam D
Cari
red_stag
Mick(TEFC)
Notch
perthshirepuma
littleswannygirl
Thomond
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
38 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 6 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Guest Wed 15 Jun 2011 - 17:21

First topic message reminder :

Welcome to the virtual rugby pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the Tommy Bowe photo on the bar. That's a banning offence

So pull up a chair....what'll it be? appletini

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Sun 19 Jun 2011 - 21:08; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 6 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Guest Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 17:36

That's a pity Pete.

I flipped up my exam today. Resit tomorrow. Im a bag of nerves to be fair. Not often I Flip something up.

In really good news (though it is really risky), Richard Parks is continuing with the 737 challenge. His toe isn't healed yet either so he's taking a huge gamble.

Last edited by Risca Rev on Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 17:40; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 6 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Cari Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 17:37

Notch wrote:That's the thing, we're the only people who seem to care enough to talk mindless Poopie endlessly all day. Where's yer passion?

It's not that I don't care Notch, I just don't know enough about rugby to talk about it at the length you guys do to be honest.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 18:13

Risca Rev wrote:That's a pity Pete.

I flipped up my exam today. Resit tomorrow. Im a bag of nerves to be fair. Not often I Flip something up.

In really good news (though it is really risky), Richard Parks is continuing with the 737 challenge. His toe isn't healed yet either so he's taking a huge gamble.

Hug hope your resit goes okay, shall keep my fingers crossed for you.

And that's so brave by Richard Parks, such a risk, but he's amazing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 18:21

Cari wrote:
Notch wrote:That's the thing, we're the only people who seem to care enough to talk mindless Poopie endlessly all day. Where's yer passion?

It's not that I don't care Notch, I just don't know enough about rugby to talk about it at the length you guys do to be honest.

I was only joking Cari. I know that you guys care about rugby and about your teams every bit as much as we do.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Hound_of_Harrow Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 18:46

Hi folks and blow me down. A couple have just turned up who set off to sail round the world about 6 years ago. At the time I couldn't believe they were going to attempt it in their patched up bucket of a boat. It had (just) made it across the Channel to France on a 'test voyage' before they set off. It needed extensive repairs after that trip!

They made it to Guatemala apparently, and stayed there for a while. Good to see them Very Happy

The_Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 18:50

Cheers Dreamer. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I Flip it tomorrow, but I'd be disappointed. I figured I'd done okay too.

Hound, that's a mad story. Good stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 18:54

Wow, what a story. Wanderlust...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 18:56

ah Hound that's an awesome story, love it when stuff like that happens Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 18:59

Anyone see in the Ice Hockey, Vancouver Canucks lost in the Final of the Stanley Cup to the Boston Bruins.

Their fans did not take the defeat well. Click here for pictures.

Widespread rioting and looting. Absolutely unbelievable.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Hound_of_Harrow Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 19:06

Yeah, I saw that Ice Hockey in the Standard. Pucking hooligans! Wink

Oh, and that couple were in their 50s when they set off from England. Looks like they will be heading back to Guatemala, and this is just a visit. They are worried about finding somewhere to watch the RWC in Guatemala. Love it. Very Happy

I suggested Belize, which is still a British Protectorate. Expensive apparently.

The_Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 19:12

There's nowhere really in Belize. I was there last year and I'd be surprised if they found anywhere.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 19:12

I read a comment there in one of the Vancouver papers Google threw up, "And Canucks fans, I’m sorry to say, are quickly gaining the reputation for being the equivalent of English soccer fans."

I really, really think we'd hear about it if that was happening in London, Liverpool and Manchester in the present day! laughing
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 19:41

Ok:
Mon-gym, tues-gym, weds-gym+squash, thurs-gym+squash=one knackered prop!!

Glad my big sis is cooking a roast and I have cider....good times Very Happy
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 19:47

Hi all. Thats crazy about the ice hockey fans. Imagine how the new zealand public is gonna be when they lose in september Smile
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 19:58

Boston rules!

NHL Champs 2011
Superbowl Champs 02 04 05
NBA Champs 08
World Series champs 04 07

Suck it New York!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 20:21

Suck it and see
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Hound_of_Harrow Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 20:25

'Superbowl Champs 02 04 05"

Greater Boston I'll give you, but the Pats play in Foxboro. They happen to be my NFL team Very Happy

The_Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 20:32

The_Hound_of_Harrow wrote:'Superbowl Champs 02 04 05"

Greater Boston I'll give you, but the Pats play in Foxboro. They happen to be my NFL team Very Happy

Ah I wondered if anyone would pick me up on that. Foxboro is actually a fair distance from Boston. And it's not aligned with them by name so all the New Englanders would take to it. Still, if you're from Boston (or just claim it as your favourite American city like me) your team has won it all in the last 7 years! Impressive stuff!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 20:38

My favourite American sport is "guess the combined weight of the family eating at Shoneys all day breakfast buffet bar", closely followed by "guess which dessert item will be most popular with bacon today".
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 20:44

I don't know Glas, i've always been fond of a few games of "fill the airwaves with 8 times more vile television than good stuff".

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Hound_of_Harrow Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 20:46

I've got a Pats jumper - bought in the States too. They waited a long time for success though. Don't follow the game nearly enough these days.

The_Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 20:49

Every year i promise myself i'll watch the superbowl but it's always on a Sunday night at stupid o'clock and i've to be in bed by 10pm on a school night or i begin to multiply... I've said too much.

I've a red sox top somewhere, not too keen on them but my colleauges were keen that i get involved. They're a funny sort, i said to them "right, tell me the rules and i'll watch the game" it took 3 of them about an hour and i was none the wiser. I sat down with my pal in our flat and we had it figured out in about 6 minutes. I gave them a text book explaination of rugby, gaa football and hurling and they just couldn't get their heads round any of them!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 20:54

Basketball should be an object lesson to SH rugby (learn the value of less is more) and Baseball should be an object lesson the NH rugby (sometimes a highly technical game resulting in stalemate is not enough).
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 20:57

Kado: I tend to book the day off after and watch i all....love the half time show!!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 20:59

Mick there is a great series on ESPN classic called 30 for 30 its all documentary on spirts, mainly American of course, but they had one on the other night called 4 days in October about the red socks defeat of the Yankees in 04 I think. Great piece of film, it'll be repeated soon I reckon
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:00

Glas a du wrote:Basketball should be an object lesson to SH rugby (learn the value of less is more) and Baseball should be an object lesson the NH rugby (sometimes a highly technical game resulting in stalemate is not enough).

Frame that sentence. It's brilliant!

Prop, i mean to do it each year, but i forget the bleedin thing is on until Sunday morning! Might be "working from home" then next time though Wink

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:00

I've been told that college football is much better to watch that the franchises. I've never watched college football so I couldn't say.

I'll take my Ale and leave now.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:04

Yeah I may do that this time Wink

Lucky: I've watched a few, find it mental how they ge in like 10-20 thousand fans!!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:11

Hughie, i don't got ESPN!

We were just talking about college football in work today. Suppose for fans like us it would be easier to understand supporting a college team because at least they don't up sticks and move to another city when they aren't making enough profit!

Anyway, don't anybody leave the pub on account of this conversation. I'm done!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:16

Ah but mick ESPN classic, for some unknown reason, comes on the news package, which is only an extra pound a month
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:18

Howdy folks. Been a while since my last stop in here. Anyone watching the golf? Our Rors is ticking along nicely, fingers crossed he can hold it together this time.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:24

Willy, i just stuck it on this minute. Forgot all about it! Mon <insert all Irish golfers playing in this particular tournament here>!!!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:30

Which tournament is it, Willy? I heard young master McIlroy on the radio today but I wasn't paying attention.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:32

Mick all the Irish players are doing rather well at the moment. Rory and GMac both under par. Paddy H was looking well, as was young Shane Lowry playing in his first US Open. Was checking out him on twitter, didn't realise he's a big Leinster fan, glory hunter...
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:35

Ha, we've been getting a big influx. ALL ABOARD THE BANDWAGON! Smile

Lucky - it's the US Open. Which i'm lead to believe is a big one!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:38

The US open luckless. They should just move it to portrush saying it's a two horse race between our boys Very Happy

Last edited by roddersm on Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:39; edited 1 time in total
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:38

Lowry was the amateur that won the Irish open yeah? Sure he's an Offaly man, we'll take that!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Hound_of_Harrow Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:38

The organisers have certainly put some interesting threesomes. Whistle together in this tourny. The world ranked 1, 2 & 3 all playing together. And all European Very Happy.

Who said something about 'sucking it earlier'?

Only the 'pub' can go from Gridiron to golf in a matter of minutes thumbsup

The_Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:46

American golf fans wreck my head.

That "GET IN THE HOOOOOOOOLE" malark they go on with is poxy...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:47

Aye Lowry won the Irish open back when rte had coverage of the event, built like a prop so he is (which sparked quite a debate on the golf section of the old 606), but a very handy tour player.

Dissapointed I missed the gridiron chat, had anyone seen the gridiron gang? That fine established actor Dwanye 'the rock' Johnson? Great film I thought.

Hound the group have been done together like that for the tv people, personally I don't like it. All italian group? All Spanish group? Genuinely don't see why it couldn't have been more mixed.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Hound_of_Harrow Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:51

Agree Gilly. Gives the cameras something to focus on I guess.

C'mon Europe!!

The_Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:52

They should throw anyone who shouts "get in the hole!" off the course. Or into a big hole.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 21:54

luckless_pedestrian wrote:They should throw anyone who shouts "get in the hole!" off the course. Or into a big hole.

I don't know what would hurt more, the fall or the irony...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 22:02

Mickado wrote:Every year i promise myself i'll watch the superbowl but it's always on a Sunday night at stupid o'clock and i've to be in bed by 10pm on a school night or i begin to multiply... I've said too much.

I've a red sox top somewhere, not too keen on them but my colleauges were keen that i get involved. They're a funny sort, i said to them "right, tell me the rules and i'll watch the game" it took 3 of them about an hour and i was none the wiser. I sat down with my pal in our flat and we had it figured out in about 6 minutes. I gave them a text book explaination of rugby, gaa football and hurling and they just couldn't get their heads round any of them!

Learning about a new sport you only 'get' it by watching or playing it really. If you're new to a sport someone who knows it well explaining it whilst you're sitting watching it (theory) or being gently coached on the basic points (practical) can help you pick it up, but unless you commit time to it you won't get that much of a grip.

I'd still be fuzzy about GAA games because I've only ever watched very brief snippets of them. I'm not interested enough to commit to learning about it. I always like to hear of Down doing well but if you grow up with zero exposure to a sport it's hard to get passionate about it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 22:05

Fair point Notch and to be honest, they just didn't really care. Which is totally fair enough!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 22:05

Only time I really watch the GAA is when its the McCorry cup? before the rugby schools cup on paddys day.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 22:14

Get in McIlroy

2 shots clear. It would be a great story if he could make up for the masters. Still a long way to go though.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 22:16

I'll turn on the occassional All-Ireland, if it's on. The tragedy of a segregated society is that I never did have any exposure to the game at a young age... it was just something that was shown for 10 seconds at the end of the news in my formative years Sad
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 22:16

I was brought up in a GAA family, only really started watching rugby "full time" about 5 or 6 years ago. There's some awkwardness about that with some members of my family!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 16 Jun 2011 - 22:19

I would follow Down's progress in GAA but thats about it. I appreciate the skill and fitness levels of it but i cant say i really enjoy it.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next