The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

+27
Cymroglan
KiaRose
Sin é
PenfroPete
pete (buachaill on eirne)
greybeard
rodders
Pal Joey
Glas a du
Gibson
Cari
MBTGOG
Suspicious lurker
mickyt
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Mickado
nottins
prop_lyd
Notch
Thomond
Mick(TEFC)
robbo277
Rava
WillyGilly
Luckless Pedestrian
red_stag
Ozzy3213
31 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 10 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

Welcome to the virtual rugby pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the Tommy Bowe photo on the bar. That's a banning offence

So pull up a chair....what'll it be? appletini

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 10 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Gibson Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:10 pm

Cari wrote:Notch - I wouldn't begrudge Murray a win at Bimbledon. It might put a smile on his fizzog anyway.

Id love to see it happen. Then, maybe Britain will be alive with working-class and not just nob - tennis players. That is the source of the problem with it's failure in producing tennis Champions - right there. Always has been.

Like rugby in Ireland - up to a while ago.

I mean now, we have culchies and noordies playing with Leinster. Times have changed. For the better. Its more acceptable now. All good. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 10 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:16 pm

I don't think even a Murray win would change tennis at grass roots level Gibbo, it's too entrenched amongst the middle and upper class now.

The wife is having physio on a problem with her neck and they are based at the local tennis club. I see the people there, they look at people they don't know (those using the physio service) as beneath them.

It cost £500 to hire 1 tennis court for 2 hours for a kids party. They get a bit of grub, which probably cost about a £1 a head to prepare and one of the coaches hits a few balls across a net to them for 30 minutes. Other than that they get a stereo and run round for a bit.

That is not a place you are going to find normal working class people, regardless of whether Murray wins Wimbledon or not.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:21 pm

evening folks just a quick visit for me, really enjoying the tennis this evening. I reckon Murray is so misunderstood and he always gets a slating by the press, does my head in.

Really hope he goes far in Wimbledon but he's got such a tough ask against Nadal, Federer and Djoko - they're all on fire at the moment!

Sad to hear the news about Falk, I always liked watching Columbo whenever it was on. Favourite thing I ever saw him in though was The Princess Bride. He may not have been in it much, but he was still wonderful Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:25 pm

The Princess Bride is a great film...

"My name is Inigo Montoya, you kill my father, prepare to die"

Love Andre the Giant in it as well.

Why do you say Murray is misunderstood dreamer?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Pete - that's the problem with tennis. It's not open to everyone because eventually you'd have to join some club or other which is just too expensive for some.

I like Mumford & Sons, but i don't know if they're appropriate for a huge gig like this - on the main stage I mean. Too many long pauses in between songs whilst they change instruments and tune them a bit. They don't really say much, so when they get the crowd going with one song, they sort of kill the excitement a bit with the pause in between songs. Not that it seems to bother the crowd.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Pete, Where's the handbag smiley when you want it!! Wink
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:28 pm

erm, I just don't think people get him, or well the press don't anyway. They wan't him to be this sort of Federer guy who's great in front of the camera when it's clear he just likes to keep to himself. Not everyone's going to be great at PR. Then you get the whole he's got a bad attitude etc stuff that they churn out from time to time. Just let the poor guy get on with his tennis! Honestly it drives me barmy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:31 pm

I don't really read the press about him dreamer so can't comment too much on what they say about him. He just doesn't excite me as a sportsman I guess.

Howya Rava? Maybe we can get Hobo to give us a handbag smiley, that would be cool, pink I reckon would be best! Wink

Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:32 pm

LDCPete wrote:I don't think even a Murray win would change tennis at grass roots level Gibbo, it's too entrenched amongst the middle and upper class now.

The wife is having physio on a problem with her neck and they are based at the local tennis club. I see the people there, they look at people they don't know (those using the physio service) as beneath them.

It cost £500 to hire 1 tennis court for 2 hours for a kids party. They get a bit of grub, which probably cost about a £1 a head to prepare and one of the coaches hits a few balls across a net to them for 30 minutes. Other than that they get a stereo and run round for a bit.

That is not a place you are going to find normal working class people, regardless of whether Murray wins Wimbledon or not.

Pete mate,
This is what we are up against. Generally. But I'd love to see the day(you probably already have), when you sort out a serious situation for the same self-centered - nobs. Then see the change. Feel the free massages and respect - flow.

But yeah. You know. The Quo will never change Status. The rules have been laid down for Millenia already. Done deal.

Are you Columbo in diguise? zen Ale

Murray serving for the match here.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:33 pm

I think Murray is a classic example of someone who's a good athlete, just not very good with PR. There's a few sports people like that.

Jebus, just seen a guy in the crowd, he's got another guy sat on his shoulders, who has a girl sat on his shoulders too! He must be built like a brick wossname to have two people on his shoulders!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:33 pm

Exactly. He's a tennis player, not a talk show host.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:34 pm

argh he got broken, and that pissing first serve was in that the umpire called out! bah! Murray why do this to me?!

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:34 pm

If Murray was English the press would like him better. He'll never live down the "anyone but england" comment but he was just being honest. Thats what I like about the guy, there's no spin or BS he just wants to win and doesn't care about his popularity.

It's unfortunate for him that he's up against Nadal and Federer, two of the best ever.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi Cari, Dreamer, Gibson, Pete and anyone else.

Pete definately pink mate. Hope you and your lovely family are well.

Cari, is it still dry in your "Glastonbury"
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:35 pm

roddersm wrote:If Murray was English the press would like him better.

Let's not go there....pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:36 pm

Wooooooooooooooooooooo!
Go Dreamer. Go Dreamer! Go Dreamer! <aphhokloadofhandbags>
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:36 pm

Cari wrote:I think Murray is a classic example of someone who's a good athlete, just not very good with PR. There's a few sports people like that.

Jebus, just seen a guy in the crowd, he's got another guy sat on his shoulders, who has a girl sat on his shoulders too! He must be built like a brick wossname to have two people on his shoulders!

Been there done that. Royal Welsh Show, Young Peoples' Village mid 90's. The year my brother did the grand slam.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:37 pm

He just doesn't seem to enjoy playing though. I appreciate he is focused and a competitor, but I never get the sense with him that he really loves what he does, which is why I struggle to get behind him I guess.

If I had the detection rate of Columbo Gibbo, I would be top cop in my force for sure! laughing

Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Rava wrote:Hi Cari, Dreamer, Gibson, Pete and anyone else.

Cari, is it still dry in your "Glastonbury"

Hi Rava - I'm sound. I've got a mug (in a U2 mug - no sheet!) and am in my jimjams with the best view in the house whilst it pishes down outside Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:39 pm

[quote="Glas a du
Been there done that. Royal Welsh Show, Young Peoples' Village mid 90's. The year my brother did the grand slam. [/quote]

Talking Sheep or Tennis there Glas? Never sure with ye mate!!
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:40 pm

There's a bloke with a giant willy on his head in the crowd too Laugh Have you done that Glas? You Young Farmers know how to have a good barn dance don't you? Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Pete, I phookin hope you've got the overcoat. No good without the overcoat.

Vino calypso pour moi Cari me dahlin' Very Happy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:41 pm

roddersm wrote:If Murray was English the press would like him better. He'll never live down the "anyone but england" comment but he was just being honest. Thats what I like about the guy, there's no spin or BS he just wants to win and doesn't care about his popularity.

It's unfortunate for him that he's up against Nadal and Federer, two of the best ever.

That may well be true for some rodders, I daresay there are plenty of English people who don't get behind him as he is Scottish and showed a dislike for England. For me I had forgotten about that comment until you just mentioned it and my reasons for not getting behind him are solely based on my perceptions of him from what I see on court and not media image.

To be fair, I do have a bit of a general apathy towards mens tennis anyway, as at times some of the games are just incredibly dull and seem to be solely about power as opposed to skill, as seems to be the way with a lot of modern sport, our beloved game of rugby included.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Pete - I know what you mean, Murray always seems quite grumpy on court but I like that becasue it show he knows he should be playing better (even if his grumpyness doesn't always have a positive effect on his game!). He's a perfectionist. He's a lot more emotive than Federer so for me personally more interesting to watch, although I get why it can have the opposite effect on some people. My brother can't stand watching him play tennis!

I just think after years of watching Tiger Erm Tim, it's nice to have a British player who really shows aggression on court. Just my view Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:42 pm

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 10 479796 The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 10 479796 The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 10 479796 The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 10 479796 The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 10 479796
Cari wrote:There's a bloke with a giant willy on his head in the crowd too The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 10 810156456 Have you done that Glas? You Young Farmers know how to have a good barn dance don't you? Smile
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:43 pm

He loves his sheep-tennis does that Glas. And as a man, I respect him deeply for it.

Duuurty weekends away with strange sheep?

Man's a Ligind in my opinion. Ale
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:43 pm

Rava wrote:Pete, I phookin hope you've got the overcoat. No good without the overcoat.

Vino calypso pour moi Cari me dahlin' Very Happy

I do have an over overcoat Gibbo, but sadly it is black, I might have to go and invest in a new one! Wink
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:43 pm

Cari wrote:
roddersm wrote:If Murray was English the press would like him better.

Let's not go there....pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

Well I suppose Brian Moore seems to be cheering for him! Sorry Cari I just know a lot of English people who went of him after that comment.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:43 pm

Evening all, I've had to start recording U2 thanks to Murray not finishing the job yet
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:44 pm

Wow I forgot how good Invictus was...easily got to number 1 of my top films, just sneaking past italian job.
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:45 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:Evening all, I've had to start recording U2 thanks to Murray not finishing the job yet

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

I'm just tooo excited. Switch on to BBC 2 folks and watch the legends.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:47 pm

Rava wrote:[quote="Glas a du
Been there done that. Royal Welsh Show, Young Peoples' Village mid 90's. The year my brother did the grand slam.

Talking Sheep or Tennis there Glas? Never sure with ye mate!![/quote]

randy (and no not sheep)
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:47 pm

prop_lyd wrote:Wow I forgot how good Invictus was...easily got to number 1 of my top films, just sneaking past italian job.

I've never watched it. I'm not sure I could after watching the 1995 WC when it was happening. That was an incredible tournament.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:49 pm

You see I was only 7 then so can't remember much of it but I think it's the film which gives me the most goosebump moments throughout!!

Murray wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:50 pm

Sky in NZ have had to tell their commentators not to use nicknames during the RWC, so as not to confuse foreign viewers ... http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10734400
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:50 pm

Feck it's Mark Radacliffe, what a legend! I remember meeting him when he was in that pogues tribute/Irish band thing he was in! I was completely smashed and kept asking him where his mate lard was....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:50 pm

Glas,
Ive yet to do the Grand Slam. Need an Italian to complete it. And not in one year like. Give me a break. Already.

Murray wins. Good test for him.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:50 pm

Well done Andy!!
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:50 pm

woooo victory for Murray! Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Well regardless of his views on football (and it is very, very funny when England get knocked out of major tournaments to be fair Wink) he does look like the world Number Four. When compared to the top three.

Still, good win for him. Got the job done.

Last edited by Notch on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Go for it Rodders, great film. Nothing like the book though The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 10 590675
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Well done Murray mint.

Oh Jebus, one of the band must've gone for a dump...we've got something else on at the minute. The wonders of live telly.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:52 pm

I'll tell you what, when I was going there is was two tents, one for the band and one for the bar (which was bigger). You could hear the music from the bar. Now its on open air rock concert type thing. In my day the girls wore rugby shirts and jeans. Now they wouldn't look out of place in the middle of any town. The soul has gone I tell you, gone.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi Notch mate. <BScBAPHDDIPTRACTORDRIVER> The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 10 3610695981
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:53 pm

Gibson wrote:Glas,
Ive yet to do the Grand Slam. Need an Italian to complete it. And not in one year like. Give me a break. Already.

The Royal Welsh is four days.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:54 pm

Notch - agree with you on that, Murray is still a way behind the top 3. What I will say though, which I along with most Murray fans ahve been saying for like the last three years, he's never going to win a Slam until he gets a better 2nd serve! He got punished on that today. Once his first serve goes he's in trouble.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Oh Glas...the YFC still have their barn dances don't they? Are they posh do's now?

Come on guys....! If they do something from October and/or Unforgettable Fire I'll cry!!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Glas a du wrote:
Gibson wrote:Glas,

The Royal Welsh is four days.

Any Italians going?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Rava wrote:Go for it Rodders, great film. Nothing like the book though The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 10 590675

Really? Who wrote the book?

It was amazing when SA won though, there was a sense of destiny about it.

Jonah Lomu bursting on the scene though, wow I'll never forget that. I remember my rugby coach after saying Lomu reminded him of me...I think he was being sarcastic.....

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Now Cari, keep your k******s on. If ye cry it will get wet and then you will have to put on yer wellies. You'll look like a young farmer then!!
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next