The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Manny and Floyd retired tomorrow!!

+18
88Chris05
bellchees
oxring
milkyboy
Young_Towzer
Boxtthis
wow_junky
manos de piedra
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Fists of Fury
paperbag_puncher
The genius of PBF
huw
captain carrantuohil
Scottrf
JDandfries
Imperial Ghosty
TRUSSMAN66
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

If Manny and Floyd retired tomorrow!! - Page 3 Empty If Manny and Floyd retired tomorrow!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jul 2011, 1:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

Who would rank higher in the alltime stakes....

Floyd top 10 already for me.....but i'm willing to hear counter arguments..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

If Manny and Floyd retired tomorrow!! - Page 3 Empty Re: If Manny and Floyd retired tomorrow!!

Post by The genius of PBF Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:46 am

wow_junky wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Oscar shouldn't have gone to 147 to fight Paccy if he didn't have it in him..

Oscar couldn't make 147 and hadn't for a while...

Like Curry losing to mccallum and trying to drain....

Oscar looked like an extra from schindlers list..

No 147...no fight for Oscar..

Yeah, Curry got sparked by Mike because he was weight drained!! I've heard it all now.

Oscar offered Pac the fight at 147lb because he though it would be easy pickings, you can't blame Pac for taking it.

Why take on a bum in Clottey, a cheater in Margarito and a washed up Mosley, 3 in a row?

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

If Manny and Floyd retired tomorrow!! - Page 3 Empty Re: If Manny and Floyd retired tomorrow!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:48 am

I'm saying beating oscar at 154 was a good victory

Not interested in the semantics of Oscar-Manny..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:05 am

Junior Jones came before Barrera battered Hamed. The "shot" Barrera was subsequently able to outbox Marquez. Marquez became LW champ.

Going 5-1-1 against some of the best Mexican fighters ever - trumps Floyd sub135.

Floyd was an amazing superfeatherweight - but he didn't fight the same level of competition there as Manny, whose resume there is stuffed with ATGs.

Since Floyd's comeback he's started taking some fights with legs - fights that actually mean something - like beating Mosley. Manny's recent 147 career has left a little to be desired.

Furthermore - we should remember that he started as a flyweight. I don't buy all of the 8 titles - but some of the titles, like the ring belt at 140 - are very impressive and hold up to scrutiny.

Lil Floydy - had he been more active, has the talent to trump Manny.

But talent and an 0 don't push you up the ATG stakes above other, better boxers.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:05 am

Why take on a bum in Clottey, a cheater in Margarito and a washed up Mosley, 3 in a row?

No idea, I don't rate the Margo and Mosely wins though, the Clottey win was decent however.

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:06 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm saying beating oscar at 154 was a good victory

Not interested in the semantics of Oscar-Manny..

Agree it was a good win, not as good as either fighters win over Hatton or Pac's win over Cotto though IMO

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:09 am

Junior Jones shows Barrera's limitations......Was Naz hungry??? we can argue that one...

Marquez 10-1-1 and Morales have showed Manny's limitations....

Who has shown Mayweather up?????.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:11 am

oxring wrote:Junior Jones came before Barrera battered Hamed. The "shot" Barrera was subsequently able to outbox Marquez. Marquez became LW champ.

Going 5-1-1 against some of the best Mexican fighters ever - trumps Floyd sub135.

Floyd was an amazing superfeatherweight - but he didn't fight the same level of competition there as Manny, whose resume there is stuffed with ATGs.

Since Floyd's comeback he's started taking some fights with legs - fights that actually mean something - like beating Mosley. Manny's recent 147 career has left a little to be desired.

Furthermore - we should remember that he started as a flyweight. I don't buy all of the 8 titles - but some of the titles, like the ring belt at 140 - are very impressive and hold up to scrutiny.

Lil Floydy - had he been more active, has the talent to trump Manny.

But talent and an 0 don't push you up the ATG stakes above other, better boxers.

Barrera was able to cruise through to 12 rounds oxy in the rematch give Pacquiao credit where it is due for the first win but Corrales was more dangerous and undefeated.

Pacquiao does not deserve credit for beating a washed up Morales...that loss to Morales leaves a big stain on his record.

Also got outboxed twice by Marquez.

Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao where 106 pounds when 16 years old.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:24 am

Floydy was 106lbs but didn't have a pro fight at the weight. Manny did and won a title not too far north from it. Its not easy to become world champ in the east - they have a lot of pretty decent boxers out there.

As for getting outboxed twice by Marquez - he won both times, fight 1 being a mis-scored draw.

Ultimately if you want to win a fight you should probably try to avoid sitting down 4 times over 2 fights.

And as for Corrales - that fight would have been Manny's - easily Manny's as well. Diego had a ton of heart but would need a better chin.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:26 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Junior Jones shows Barrera's limitations......Was Naz hungry??? we can argue that one...

How can you disregard a win over Barrera because Jones had shown his limitations but yet class Floyd's wins over Marquez, Mosley and Hatton as great wins over P4P fighters. Surely Cotto, Wright and Forrest had all shown Mosley's limitations. Chris John and Freddie Norwood had shown Marquez' limitations and Collazo running Hatton so close at Welter showed his limitations.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:35 am

bellchees wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Junior Jones shows Barrera's limitations......Was Naz hungry??? we can argue that one...

How can you disregard a win over Barrera because Jones had shown his limitations but yet class Floyd's wins over Marquez, Mosley and Hatton as great wins over P4P fighters. Surely Cotto, Wright and Forrest had all shown Mosley's limitations. Chris John and Freddie Norwood had shown Marquez' limitations and Collazo running Hatton so close at Welter showed his limitations.

I think Truss's response will be something like this;

"Marquez 10-1-1...."

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:40 am

It does appear that I'm the only one that gives neither any credit for Oscar.

Now as far as I can see Oscar was not the fighter he was when he for Sturm so anything after this he was trading on his name as far as I'm concerned. I mean no disrespect to ODLH, as I have said he was one of my favourite boxers growing up.

As far as I can see he was securing big money fights at the end of his career and although the ODLH that Floyd beat was better than the one Manny beat it doesn't make either win a great one. There was only a year between their fights and Manny can't be blamed for the fact ODLH couldn't comfortably make a weight he agreed to.

Hatton is a much better win for both of them than an older not as sharp or quick ODLH (obviously I mean than ODLH was sharper and quicker in his best years).

Mosley and ODLH on both records are no different to Khan beating Barrera as far as I'm concerned.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:48 am

Got to be Mayweather at 130lbs, his win over Corrales is for me better than anything Pacquiao did at the weight

Great as they were both Barrera and Morales were both fairly shop worn at the limit of their bodies capabilities at 130lbs, in truth they made their names below the weight neither of whom will be thought of as premier super featherweights

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:57 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Got to be Mayweather at 130lbs, his win over Corrales is for me better than anything Pacquiao did at the weight

Great as they were both Barrera and Morales were both fairly shop worn at the limit of their bodies capabilities at 130lbs, in truth they made their names below the weight neither of whom will be thought of as premier super featherweights

Have to disagree there, Barrera unified at 130lb against decent opposition (Peden, Fana, Juarez, Morales) and lost a very close fight against Marquez. It's easy to make a case for him being the better fighter than Corrales at 130lb. Overall though Mayweather's 130lb career is better due to longetivity.

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:23 pm

Jones beat Barrera twice.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:24 pm

10-1-1

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:26 pm

Is the magic number..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:30 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Jones beat Barrera twice.......

Forrest beat Mosley twice as did Wright but you still class Floyd beating Mosley as a great win.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:31 pm

I add Mosley to the pot...don't think it was a great win...certainly not defining as barrera isn't for manny..

Never said Mosley was a great win only that he was a p4p top 10 er..

Don't make out I said something when I didn't..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:40 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I add Mosley to the pot...don't think it was a great win...certainly not defining as barrera isn't for manny..

Never said Mosley was a great win only that he was a p4p top 10 er..

Don't make out I said something when I didn't..

Fair enough it just seemed like you were basing a lot of Floyd being great on his wins over Marquez and Mosley. His absolute masterclass against Corrales is for me his best performance and what makes him great. I really don't see anyone beating him at Super Featherweight except maybe Arguello.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:56 pm

Corrales and an unbeaten Hatton for me.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3