The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lara robbed in Atlantic City

+10
ONETWOFOREVER
88Chris05
Scottrf
captain carrantuohil
Rowley
Valero's Conscience
coxy0001
bellchees
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
The Galveston Giant
14 posters

Go down

Lara robbed in Atlantic City Empty Lara robbed in Atlantic City

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 10 Jul 2011, 5:54 am

Paul Williams was given the nod by two of the judges with the third giving it a draw. I don't know what they were watching. Lara boxed well and constantly nailed Williams with the same power shot Martinez finished him with. Williams was constantly marching forward with Lara boxing off the back foot for the majority of the bout, but more punches were landed by lara and he landed nearly half his power shots, he called for a rematch and i think it's only fair.

Last edited by The Galveston Giant on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 1:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Lara robbed in Atlantic City Empty Re: Lara robbed in Atlantic City

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 10 Jul 2011, 9:09 am

Are you insane?

Williams shouldn't be given a rematch.

That fight should be overturned. Williams was outclassed from start to finish.

Almost puts me off watchin for good
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 10 Jul 2011, 9:46 am

I didn't stay up last night to watch the fights but that sounds like a bad decision. I've read Molina done a number on Cintron was the fight any good and how impressive was Molina?

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sun 10 Jul 2011, 10:27 am

As incredibly drunk as i was, i had Lara winning by a big margin. Travesty decision as Williams landed sweet f.a. of any meaning and Lara just couldn't miss with the left hand.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Sun 10 Jul 2011, 10:54 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Are you insane?

Williams shouldn't be given a rematch.

That fight should be overturned. Williams was outclassed from start to finish.

Almost puts me off watchin for good

It was disgusting, HBO had it 117-111 to Lara.

It does put you off boxing as it's horrible to see someone come up for the biggest fight of their life and do eberything asked of them....and then robbed!

A joke!

It's been a bad few weeks for robberies!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 10 Jul 2011, 11:07 am

Have not seen the fight but have seen the reaction of a lot of American fans who did watch the fight and they are to a man calling the result a joke. Have yet to see one who gave the nod to Williams

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Sun 10 Jul 2011, 11:08 am

Link below to last round and commentary and interview after:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bV0dELrYJs

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 10 Jul 2011, 11:24 am

A travesty, and I don't use the word lightly. There are times when one can find reasons for the controversial scorecards of judges - here, there were no such extenuating circumstances.

I had a slight suspicion that Williams might have sung his song after the Martinez fight, and that an ambitious, rising fighter might be the last thing that he needed to ease his way back. However, I was staggered by how far he seems to have regressed as a boxer. It's not that long ago that he was being viewed as an only slightly cut-price version of Thomas Hearns; he was even being spoken of as the man with the style to do for Mayweather. It is clear that we all spoke too soon. Williams appears a synthetic version of that fighter, and he can't now be viewed as the favourite against any puncher with a well-rounded game. He has it all to do to regain anything like his former stock.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 10 Jul 2011, 1:26 pm

bellchees wrote:I didn't stay up last night to watch the fights but that sounds like a bad decision. I've read Molina done a number on Cintron was the fight any good and how impressive was Molina?

He was quite good, nice workrate, Cintron was awful though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:00 pm

That's a bad one. Matched HBO's score (switched 2 rounds with them), of 117-111.

Williams had the better output by a long way but I believe was outlanded despite throwing double, in the region of 40% vs 20%. Paul's punches had nothing behind them, whereas the straight lefts were all heavy shots. He caught Lara a lot in the clinches, but was more tickling than punching.

At a stretch you could have it 4,5,6,10,12 to Williams but no more. Even his corner said he needed a KO and he agreed.

So open to the Martinez KO shot. 154 is heating up a bit with Lara and Alvarez.

Would be nice to avoid spoilers in titles though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:12 pm

An absolutely awful decision, for me. Watched it last night and scored it 117-111 to Lara, watched it again this afternoon and had exactly the same score. I'd like to think that we're in an age where we've got past fixed fights and judges being paid off, but when you see a decision like this it really does make you wonder. It must rank up there with the likes of Whitaker-Ramirez I as one of the most shocking pieces of judging ever seen.

I thought Williams looked an absolute shadow of the fighter he was a couple of years back. I never rated him as highly as some, but even so, the amount of wide punches he was swinging in last night, his inability to stop the jab through his guard and his total hopelessness on the inside was alarming to see. I hope for his own sake they don't push for a Martinez fight, because the Argentine will get him out of there just as brutally as he did last time, if last night is anything to go by.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:17 pm

Williams pressured the fight which might have been in his favour. Its clear Williams is poor against south paws he took too many straight lefts to the head.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:39 pm

88Chris05 wrote:An absolutely awful decision, for me. Watched it last night and scored it 117-111 to Lara, watched it again this afternoon and had exactly the same score. I'd like to think that we're in an age where we've got past fixed fights and judges being paid off, but when you see a decision like this it really does make you wonder. It must rank up there with the likes of Whitaker-Ramirez I as one of the most shocking pieces of judging ever seen.
Not close to that IMO. Whitaker won rounds clearly, Lara won rounds through the scoring system, but you could see Williams getting some through output.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:49 pm

Scottrf wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:An absolutely awful decision, for me. Watched it last night and scored it 117-111 to Lara, watched it again this afternoon and had exactly the same score. I'd like to think that we're in an age where we've got past fixed fights and judges being paid off, but when you see a decision like this it really does make you wonder. It must rank up there with the likes of Whitaker-Ramirez I as one of the most shocking pieces of judging ever seen.
Not close to that IMO. Whitaker won rounds clearly, Lara won rounds through the scoring system, but you could see Williams getting some through output.

Not quite as bad as Whitaker-Ramirez I maybe, but honestly not that far off in my opinion, Scott. Maybe I overexaggerated slightly in the heat of the moment, mind you! Still, I find that the rounds which Lara won, bar one of them, were quite conclusive. Even the rounds which Williams nicked on my card were as much to do with Lara's output and workrate dropping, as if he was almost taking a round off.

Either way, the point remains that it was a shocker last night. A robbery is still a robbery at the end of the day, and this definitely falls in to that category.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:51 pm

Watched it back this morn. Had it 115 - 113 to Lara, So Lara clear winner for me, but not quite on lederman's level. He stupidly saying in round 10 not a mark on Lara. He was growing a second head at that stage (granted from a clash).
Lara the wrong fighter to be shaking off ring rust after a horrific KO. I thought the HBO commentary was a bit over the top. Calling for a williams retirement. Granted him and his team haven't done a thing about being suceptable to the overhand right, but to early to say he's finished. He shouldn't be thinking about Martinez (ever again), but perhaps in a fight or two (with a bit of form and confidence) a cotto match up wouldn't be unrealistic.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:52 pm

You're right in robbery, the difference for me is that in this fight I can see why they would give Williams rounds, even if I believe it to be incorrect. Ramirez was schooled, Williams just kept getting hit with the same big shots. But he did throw a lot, and do all the work in clinches. Lara took a lot of time off.

Agree with Jim about HBO being OTT, as I said on the other thread.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:52 pm

Said some time ago that I felt this was the wrong fight for Williams to take and despite not seeing it yet the comments i've read back up that assumption. Lara i've said for some time is one of the better of the cubans to have turned profressional recently and although it was only sparring he did take care of Hatton with such ease he got thrown out of the training camp.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:56 pm

I've never seen Paul Williams take so many shots. He was also outscored, i had it 4 rounds at least Lara. Getting a bit sad now this, Matthysse beat Alexander, Macklin beat Sturm, Lara won last night

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 10 Jul 2011, 3:44 pm

Just watched that link of the last round & interview. Williams struck me as a bad winner. No grace. When asked why his trainer told him he needed a KO he said that was just to keep him motivated, not because they both thought he was losing... What rudey poo.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down