The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

+30
OzT
KiaRose
Portnoy
littleswannygirl
nottins
Rava
Pal Joey
Dave.
rhino-dragon
The_Hound_of_Harrow
PenfroPete
rodders
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
mickyt
Luckless Pedestrian
Adam D
WillyGilly
Glas a du
Suspicious lurker
prop_lyd
greybeard
red_stag
Notch
Thomond
Mickado
Gibson
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Mick(TEFC)
Cari
MBTGOG
34 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 2 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Welcome to the virtual rugby pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the Tommy Bowe photo on the bar. That's a banning offence

So pull up a chair....what'll it be? appletini

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 2 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:01 pm

Notch wrote:Yes, the hype that surrounds McIlroy is massive. Everyone has gone a bit overboard. Media love him.

And that's after he shot 71 Thom! Imagine what it would be like if he was leading the pack.

As long as he doesnt buy into the hype. Very hard for a lad so young. I'm sure his family - specially his Da - will keep him grounded.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 2 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by greybeard Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:02 pm

I'm sure McIlroy won't buy into the hype, he'll remember The Masters just as much as the US Open.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:04 pm

greybeard wrote:I'm sure McIlroy won't buy into the hype, he'll remember The Masters just as much as the US Open.

Key point Greybeard. As long as he does. He learnt more from that loss than winning the US Open.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:04 pm

woo Llanelli are winning 2-0 in the footy!

So weird seeing the Parc y Scarlets pitch with footy markings on it though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:06 pm

red_stag wrote:A mate of mine qualifies as a Leinster fan through residency in September. He's getting worried.

Yeah cant blame him Staggy. Does he have vertigo? Ale
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:09 pm

The fixation with the idea of McIlroy winning this weekend is over the top, but it's also incredibly unrealistic.

If it was a wimbledon final, ok, there are only two possible winners, but there are 156 players taking part in the golf. Before the first ball is hit there are probably a good 20 players who are all in with a shout of winning. Golf can be so unpredictable it's complete folly to focus on any one player.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:14 pm

Cheers Cari: only loose plans at the moment.

Just back from rugby training and I could feel the cider from earlier in the week sloshing about!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:15 pm

Gibson wrote:
red_stag wrote:A mate of mine qualifies as a Leinster fan through residency in September. He's getting worried.

Yeah cant blame him Staggy. Does he have vertigo? Ale

I had vertigo once,didn't last long,it ended after I fell from the skyscraper. Thankfully the concrete broke my fall.

Tumbleweed

Last edited by Thomond on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:18 pm

greybeard wrote:The fixation with the idea of McIlroy winning this weekend is over the top, but it's also incredibly unrealistic.

If it was a wimbledon final, ok, there are only two possible winners, but there are 156 players taking part in the golf. Before the first ball is hit there are probably a good 20 players who are all in with a shout of winning. Golf can be so unpredictable it's complete folly to focus on any one player.

Exactly. It's Wide Open. The medya just love hyping their new heros. Its another kind of pressure for him. They are looking for another Tiger. The people around him will advise him to take it in his stride, ignore it and concentrate on his golf.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:20 pm

greybeard wrote:The fixation with the idea of McIlroy winning this weekend is over the top, but it's also incredibly unrealistic.

Exactly. I'm sure McIlroy will go on to win more majors, but this immediate expectation of brilliance and dominance every time he steps onto a golf course is rather extreme.

Maybe it's the fact Europe is desperate to have it's own 'Tiger Woods' figure and they see McIlroy as the answer, but he's young yet. Talented as he is it's a big ask. I assume if he doesn't win the Open then the hype will recede a bit.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:22 pm

Gibson wrote:
Notch wrote:Yes, the hype that surrounds McIlroy is massive. Everyone has gone a bit overboard. Media love him.

And that's after he shot 71 Thom! Imagine what it would be like if he was leading the pack.

As long as he doesnt buy into the hype. Very hard for a lad so young. I'm sure his family - specially his Da - will keep him grounded.

To be honest he seems supernaturally relaxed. Even today he started off with two bogeys in three holes and just shrugged it off.

If I had to say anything about the guy and the hype and attention- I'd say he enjoys it even if he doesn't buy into it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:22 pm

SNAP! :dressedorange: guinness
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:27 pm

Oh Gibbo, you'll enjoy this. The scrutiny the Murdoch Empire is under is spreading across the Atlantic;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/13/us-senators-phone-hacking-inquiry?CMP=twt_atn

The allegations regarding the 9/11 victims were made in the Daily Mirror and are unverified. But if true; it's going to get worse for old Rupert. Much worse!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Notch wrote:Oh Gibbo, you'll enjoy this. The scrutiny the Murdoch Empire is under is spreading across the Atlantic;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/13/us-senators-phone-hacking-inquiry?CMP=twt_atn

The allegations regarding the 9/11 victims were made in the Daily Mirror and are unverified. But if true; it's going to get worse for old Rupert. Much worse!

I knew this would happen. Pandoras Box is open. His Empire is under threat now. And my fav paper since the 70's - The Grundian - broke it all. Seems proper.

"What a tangled web we weave when we flatter to deceive..."

As the famous Sun headline proclaimed once. GOTCHA!
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:39 pm

For a long time it seemed he could just roll over everyone; he made the rules.

Problem with rolling over everyone is you make a lot of enemies that way... and when the truth comes out- ooh! They're gonna let you know about it.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:46 pm

It is massively ironic (or is it?) that the guy who called for the investigation - is Jay Rockefeller. Great-grandson of the richest man in history.

Families eh? Wink
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick(TEFC) Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:47 pm

English amateur lad did well, despite having favourable climatic conditions and Tom Watson to help him along.And you're worried about McIlroy;doubt if he'll even make the cut(which will probably be +2/3) Whistle

nice to see that The Grauniad is finally being recognised for what it has always been; a straight up, honest,good cultural, ok sportswise,left of centre NEWSpaper
Mick(TEFC)
Mick(TEFC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:49 pm

I'm really glad now that the Guardian is pretty much the only newspaper I've ever read Smile

And phoning up tomorrow to see if I can book a table in Stephen Jones and Dwayne Peel's new restaurant for a week Sunday, knowing my luck, it'll be booked out already!

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:53 pm

Anyone know anything about plugs, fuses etc?

Twice today the fuse in the power supply of my mac has blown. Why is this happening so frequently? It's a standard 3 amp fuse that you'd find in most plugs.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:53 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I'm really glad now that the Guardian is pretty much the only newspaper I've ever read Smile

And phoning up tomorrow to see if I can book a table in Stephen Jones and Dwayne Peel's new restaurant for a week Sunday, knowing my luck, it'll be booked out already!

Oooh better get out that posh-frock Dreamer. Stephen may be there. The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 2 21345 cider
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:54 pm

Is it it a case that the power supply is faulty?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Notch, could you're computer be over heating,leading to a lot of electricty needed to use the computer and your fuse is blowing to try and prevent a build up of excessive current?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Look lads the hype around Rory is deserved, he has been leading 7 of the last eight rounds of a major (before today) and would have won last years Open if it hadn't been for a few hours horrific weather that he unfortunately got caught in in round 2

However I pointed this out to Rava a few days after the US and I stand by it, to expect him to win the Open this year is to much to ask (i hope im wrong by the way). It's asking for a miracle for him to win two majors back to back, he will win more no doubt just give him time and support him through it all

And remember, he didn't play a single competitive round of golf since the US, It's something everyone should consider come.Sunday
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Notch wrote:Anyone know anything about plugs, fuses etc?

Twice today the fuse in the power supply of my mac has blown. Why is this happening so frequently? It's a standard 3 amp fuse that you'd find in most plugs.

Notch,
Your mac may be trying to tell you something. Check its wiring...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1719432?threadID=1719432
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:59 pm

Hmm, quite worrying. I might look to have someone check it out.

I am also a Guardian reader. They have the best news website out there- it's superb. Get rest of my news from BBC mainly, and also the Belfast Telegraph for some local issues.. Occasionally Irish Times and Irish Independent for the rugby (Guardian doesn't cover much that isn't test rugby and no Celtic Rugby outside the HC).

Well, if I'm going to the gym I'd better go now.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:59 pm

Hughie, I think it was a mistake not play competitve golf in between if he had serious ambitions of winning the Open. Also,you know any good hotels around London?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:00 pm

hughie1986 wrote:Look lads the hype around Rory is deserved, he has been leading 7 of the last eight rounds of a major (before today) and would have won last years Open if it hadn't been for a few hours horrific weather that he unfortunately got caught in in round 2

However I pointed this out to Rava a few days after the US and I stand by it, to expect him to win the Open this year is to much to ask (i hope im wrong by the way). It's asking for a miracle for him to win two majors back to back, he will win more no doubt just give him time and support him through it all

And remember, he didn't play a single competitive round of golf since the US, It's something everyone should consider come.Sunday

Agree 100% OK

I don't know if the hype is deserved- I mean the comparisons with Tiger. Once McIlroy has a few majors under his belt we can start talking about him like that. It's still early days for those comparisons.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick(TEFC) Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:01 pm

dreamer,booking a restaurant for a week,wow!!
Mick(TEFC)
Mick(TEFC)

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:03 pm

Mick(TEFC) wrote:dreamer,booking a restaurant for a week,wow!!

laughing
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:11 pm

laughing I might need to sample all the menu Mick, a different meal a day!

Gibbo - nah Stevo won't be there, reckon he'll be off in Poland then Sad or back at home with his new baby boy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Just watching Single Handed on ITV. I really enjoy this series, and the scenery is stunning Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:20 pm

Single Handed? Sounds interesting. Oh roysh.

Cant get ITV.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:21 pm

Gibson wrote:Single Handed? Sounds interesting. Oh roysh.

Cant get ITV.

Oh bummer Gibbo. It's a series made by RTÉ about a Gard who works on his own in rural Southern Ireland.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:28 pm

Oh. I miss that kinda thing being away from home. The only stations I'll have on when Im home, are RTE & TG4. Need the fix ya see. coffee cake

Im watching Torchwood. Still not sure about it. BEEB spent a few bob on it Id say.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:30 pm

I'm not really into that sort of Sci-Fi thing Gibbo, but you may spot bits of Cardiff on it! Smile guinness This series is beautifully filmed fair do's. They've really taken advantage of the location.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:36 pm

In this episode... people have stopped dying. No one dies. No matter what state they're in.

I think I met a few of them over the years tbh. Some became mates. guinness

Its full of Welsh accents! Didnt know that Cari. Yank friend of mine loves it and told me I would too. We'll see.

Last edited by Gibson on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:36 pm

Munster's recently retired Barry Murphy been announced as Director of Rugby for All Ireland League team U.L. Bohemians in Limerick.

Their previous head coach Ian Costello has moved on as Musnter skills coach and Munster A Head Coach.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:38 pm

The Yank told you you'd love Torchwood? And what's wrong with the Taffy accents might I ask!? raspberry Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:42 pm

Thats healthy Stag. Hope Barry finds his niche in coaching/man-management and Costello helps give Munster that boot-room feel again. And moves on up with Axel. Munster needs them to. Ireland needs them to. Ale
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Hughie's quite knowledgeable on the old golf matters for somebody who only started following it when Rory won a major. Fair play lad Wink

I went to the gym twice today Notch (just been again). The perks of living without tv, a lapdog and a wife. Fair play I'm loving it though (well I do miss the wife a little bit).

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:45 pm

At only 28 years old Barry Murphy has plenty of time to start honing his coaching skills. Is Reggie still involved in Leinster? I'd love to see Conor O'Shea involved with an Irish team in the future.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:46 pm

That's coz Torchwood used to be based in Cardiff Gibbo, they've gone international!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:47 pm

Lush. Tidy.. I feicin love Welsh girls speaking native. Its just naughty. Where's my Eleri? Oohh stop!

Pills taken. Grand now. guinness
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:50 pm

aha I recognise that house and that beach in Torchword! Bet it's Rhosilli.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:51 pm

No Im not. Who is this Welsh girl? The brunette?
Sweet mother of...

Washing... NOW. Please! The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 2 21345
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:54 pm

hahah she's a really famous Welsh actress Gibbo, she's been in loads of things (well on British TV anyway). You seriously never seen Torchwood before?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:58 pm

No. 1st time. cider

I think ol Brucie was right. I think I like it. God Dreamer, but shes gorgeous tho... that accent too. She has attitude as well. Just whacked someone.

Rwy'n credu Im mewn cariad. The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 2 21345
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:01 pm

ah Gibbo Hug I suggest you find some older series of Torchwood then, she's in all of them. It's like a later night and sometimes better version of Doctor Who. I love it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:01 pm

Who is she? From Gibbo's description I'm in love already.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:03 pm

Eve Myles, Rev - you'll most likely recognise her from Welsh telly: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0616990/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next