The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate

+44
Rowley
Raymond
sweet_pea
Sir. badgerhands
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
eddyfightfan
AberdeenSteve
Michaels, Sean
Rodney
The Galveston Giant
TRUSSMAN66
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
HumanWindmill
coxy0001
NoMasDinero
skidd1
Colonial Lion
Lumbering_Jack
onestepbeyond
88Chris05
GeoffSnapes
Scottrf
OSH ( Old Stone Hands )
Silver
BoxingFan88
samevans1
ADMIN
Shantel Jackson Boyfriend
Jamson
IronFistCliveMyers
ArchBritishchris
Imperial Ghosty
Cheikitout
swedish chef
BALTIMORA
azania
Enforcer
Sugar Boy Sweetie
oxring
Youarethegreatest
Adam D
Bob
RocketAce
D4thincarnation
48 posters

Page 6 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Go down

Who wins and how?

The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate - Page 6 Vote_lcap10%The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate - Page 6 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]
The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate - Page 6 Vote_lcap24%The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate - Page 6 Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 7 ]
The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate - Page 6 Vote_lcap0%The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate - Page 6 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate - Page 6 Vote_lcap48%The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate - Page 6 Vote_rcap 48% 
[ 14 ]
The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate - Page 6 Vote_lcap10%The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate - Page 6 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]
The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate - Page 6 Vote_lcap3%The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate - Page 6 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate - Page 6 Vote_lcap3%The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate - Page 6 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 29

Poll closed

The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate - Page 6 Empty The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate

Post by D4thincarnation Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

It is an issue that polarises the sport, and get the most headlines. It is because the are opposites in the the ring and out.

Inside the ring Mayweather is a defensive fighter, safety first, whilst Manny is an attacking fighting that brings the excitement. Outside the ring Manny is well liked, humble happy and at peace, whilst Mayweather seems angry brash, arrogant, mentally troubled and problems with the law.

It is no surprise since they seem to be polar opposites that they split opinion.

In this thread I would like to discuss how there careers match up and who would win should they eventually face each other in the ring.

Last edited by Hobo on Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:01 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added a poll to the discussion)

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate - Page 6 Empty Re: The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate

Post by coxy0001 Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:22 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:When Pacquiao misses with the jab he means to, you have to take that into consideration.

Another priceless gem from D4 to add to his already expansive collection

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate - Page 6 Empty Re: The Mayweather vs Pacquiao Debate

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:22 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:When Pacquiao misses with the jab he means to, you have to take that into consideration.

I know what you mean, D4.

Primo Carnera always said that he meant to be knocked down twelve times by Max Baer. Da Preem was trying to lull Max into a false sense of security, and he also wanted to make sure that when he knocked Max out it was in the optimal place for the photographers. His idea was hugely influential. Floyd Patterson used the same sneaky tactics in the first Johansson fight, as did Frazier against Foreman.

Manny is following a fine tradition by deliberately not hitting his opponent.

The jab is not always used as a weapon it can be used as a foil. Keep pumping out the jab, keep your opponent on the defensive and forces them to take action, it will also momentarily blind them to what is happening next.

I think most of you know this but just enjoy arguing against me furious

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:23 pm

Suppose you hear all the coaches (inbetween rounds) shouting at their fighters "use the jab more, but don't hit him with it FFS!!!!"

Give me strength

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:24 pm

imperialghosty wrote:Nobody misses a punch on purpose that's just a ridiculous statement

Mayweather has better punching technique also, being a counter puncher is a far harder skill than being an all out attack, this is where the lack of power along with fragile hands comes from.

Stop talking such tosh

Mayweather avoids a punch then counters.

Pacquiao can avoid punches and counter/attack at the same time.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:26 pm

No Pacquiao doesn't counter at all, have you ever watched a Mayweather fight

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:29 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

I know what you mean, D4.

Primo Carnera always said that he meant to be knocked down twelve times by Max Baer. Da Preem was trying to lull Max into a false sense of security, and he also wanted to make sure that when he knocked Max out it was in the optimal place for the photographers. His idea was hugely influential. Floyd Patterson used the same sneaky tactics in the first Johansson fight, as did Frazier against Foreman.

Manny is following a fine tradition by deliberately not hitting his opponent.

The jab is not always used as a weapon it can be used as a foil. Keep pumping out the jab, keep your opponent on the defensive and forces them to take action, it will also momentarily blind them to what is happening next.

I think most of you know this but just enjoy arguing against me furious

Well, it's certainly fun jousting with you, D4, but in all seriousness there's a heck of a difference between feinting for openings and missing with a jab.

I think you know this but enjoy arguing with us.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:30 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Well, it's certainly fun jousting with you, D4, but in all seriousness there's a heck of a difference between feinting for openings and missing with a jab.
He knows that but is saying compubox doesn't, and I think he's right.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:33 pm

Scottrf wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:Well, it's certainly fun jousting with you, D4, but in all seriousness there's a heck of a difference between feinting for openings and missing with a jab.

Thanks Scottrf.

It not like i'm saying punching thin air is a good thing.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:33 pm

Watch Lennox, he would just use his jab to push against his opponents guard, to keep them busy, blind them and set up other punches. On compubox this would class as a miss but it did exactly what it was meant to do.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:34 pm

You don't feint with the jab over 500 times in a fight without trying to hit your opponent especially when your not a cagey fighter

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:36 pm

Scottrf wrote:

That, of course, is absolutely true. I'm no fan of compubox, either.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:39 pm

Thing is D4, Pacquiao doesn't have a jab like Lewis did so the comparison doesn't really work

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:43 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

I'm criticising compubox here.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:43 pm

Imperial

Just wait for if/when he loses. Excuse will probably be "Manny just couldn't get the jab going"

Then deny he ever had this debate...

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:48 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

I'm criticising compubox here.

I realize that, D4 and, as I say, I do agree with you about compubox.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:50 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Compubox either but saying something as ridiculous as he misses his jab on purpose needs to be treated with the contempt it deserves.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:54 pm

imperialghosty wrote:I'm not a huge fan of Compubox either but saying something as ridiculous as he misses his jab on purpose needs to be treated with the contempt it deserves.

Compubox count them as misses but it does what Pacquiao wants of it, that why the compubox jab figures should be discounted.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:56 pm

D4 drop it, you don't deliberately miss with any punch

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:00 pm

imperialghosty wrote:D4 drop it, you don't deliberately miss with any punch
Is a soldier missing while providing covering fire to keep the enemy pinned down?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:02 pm

This is boxing not war

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:03 pm

Since when did an analogy have to be on the same topic?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:03 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Is a soldier missing while providing covering fire to keep the enemy pinned down?

Compushot will count it as missing, but anyone with any understanding of military tactics will realise the soldier is doing exactly what is required

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:05 pm

Would you then argue that La Mottas defence isn't actually that bad, he intends to get punched?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:05 pm

Scottrf wrote:

Heard it all today, really have.

Scott, we know you're a bit of a fan but the guys providing covering fire don't try adn miss on purpose. They shoot at opposition fire in unison to provide cover.

Someone give me strength, or whiskey

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:05 pm

Scott are you implying that when Pacquiao misses it's because he's actually trying to hit his opponent with an elbow? Careful you don't incur the lovesick wrath of a D4 on heat.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:07 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Scott, we know you're a bit of a nuthugger but the guys providing covering fire don't try adn miss on purpose. They shoot at opposition fire in unison to provide cover.

Someone give me strength, or whiskey

What are you talking about?

They may not miss on purpose but they cover a general direction for the purpose of keeping the target subdued.

And no BALTIMORA, I'm saying it's not as simplistic as some people think. Most of the time he will be trying to hit but it's not always a boxers sole focus.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:14 pm

Scottrf

I only said a bit, calm down.

And no, they fire at wherever they were receiving gunfire from. Otherwise the opposition would have zero reason to be forced into cover if there weren't bullets flying at them.......

Against Clottey he landed 3% of jabs thrown... Out of 549 thrown i guess if he was trying to hit thin air/gloves on purpose it must then highlight how he ain't got a plan B - as the "blinding" jab really worked a treat etc!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:16 pm

Scott, I know it's not as simplistic as some may think, but the issue I have with what D4 spouts is that the truth of the matter is in now way as one-sided as he claims time after time after boring time.

If we're going to say that some of Pacquiao's misses are in fact intended to miss then it's unfair, unreasonable and biased to not apply the same criteria to Mayweather.

But then, that's D4 all over.

Last edited by BALTIMORA on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : silly error)

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:18 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Scott, we know you're a bit of a nuthugger but the guys providing covering fire don't try adn miss on purpose.

Unless they are the A Team

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:20 pm

Have you ever seen it? It's normally large machine guns firing many bullets over a large area, not picking shots on one target. It's a good analogy, if it doesn't help anyone and people can only take things literally then so be it.

Don't know why you feel the need to keep giving me figures, I never said his jab was accurate.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:23 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Don't know why you feel the need to keep giving me figures, I never said his jab was accurate.

No, but D4 has said it several times, and that's why many have taken issue with him, for the umpteenth million time.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:35 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

No, but D4 has said it several times, and that's why many have taken issue with him, for the umpteenth million time.

No I didn't and I said Pacquiao doesn't use his jab to that effect.

Like I said I've backed up my statements with facts and reasoning and what do you have to counter my argument, "I don't like D4".

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:51 pm

You've ignored facts on several occasions. Now you're choosing to ignore the fact you've done it. Nothing new there. Simple fact is that statistics have shown Mayweather to display better accuracy than Pacquiao. End of.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:57 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:You've ignored facts on several occasions. Now you're choosing to ignore the fact you've done it. Nothing new there. Simple fact is that statistics have shown Mayweather to display better accuracy than Pacquiao. End of.

Pacquiao 52.4 connect average

Mayweather 50.4 connect average

Thats the statistics in their last 5 fights on power punches.

Lets see if you ignore this fact.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:00 pm

Pacquiao landed 3% of jabs thrown against clottey.

No doubt D4 will now explain that he purposefully meant to miss the other 97%?
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Last 9 fights (as finding stats beyond then is difficult)

48.44% for Manny to 51.77% to Floyd

But you choose to discount that because it doesn't suit your arguement. Just like how you choose to ignore jabs because it doesn't suit your arguement either.

Muppet.

Go away.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:03 pm

How many of Pacquiao's last five opponents had:

A) a pulse
B) head movement
C) any kind of intention of throwing a punch?

Answer? Not 5 out of 5.

Unless you're comparing like for like then the figures are meaningless, but then someone else has already done that, but you choose to ignore THOSE statistics.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:04 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Pacquiao landed 3% of jabs thrown against clottey.

Yes throw the jab, double jab or even treble against the guard move to the left or right and get the hooks round the guard and land.

Not only was it purposeful it was the tactic and the game plan, and it worked like a charm, Pacquiao won every round.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:04 pm

BOOOOOOOOOOOORING D4.

Honestly, there are other fighters in boxing outside of Manny and Mayweather.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:07 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:How many of Pacquiao's last five opponents had:

A) a pulse
B) head movement
C) any kind of intention of throwing a punch?

Answer? Not 5 out of 5.

Unless you're comparing like for like then the figures are meaningless, but then someone else has already done that, but you choose to ignore THOSE statistics.

The facts are all of them had the above and more, between them they had won close to 30 world titles. All naturally bigger than Pacquiao as well.

But you will ignore the facts again, no doubt.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Didn't really work against Clottey did it because his power shot percentage was also very poor

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:11 pm

imperialghosty wrote:Didn't really work against Clottey did it because his power shot percentage was also very poor

Lower than average, but thats down to Clottey throwing very little and being ultra defensive, even though he was losing every round.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:14 pm

D4 where did you get this 52.4% from?

It's actually 49.2

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:16 pm

So he can't unlock a tight defence like you made out

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:17 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Pacquiao landed 3% of jabs thrown against clottey.

Yes throw the jab, double jab or even treble against the guard move to the left or right and get the hooks round the guard and land.

Not only was it purposeful it was the tactic and the game plan, and it worked like a charm, Pacquiao won every round.

He won every round because clottey
A) is cack
B) barely threw a punch the whole fight

Pacquiao didn't win that fight by missing 97% of his jabs, he won it by beating up a static, overmatched target.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:20 pm

Stick a fork in him, he's done.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:22 pm

But why didn't Clottey throw a punch? Does he normally not throw a punch?

He was overmatched but Pacquiao's output kept him covering up.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:23 pm

No Scott, Clotteys output was the same as it usually is

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:26 pm

imperialghosty wrote:No Scott, Clotteys output was the same as it usually is
Except from that he threw two thirds of the amount he did in his previous fight which was also a 12 rounder.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:29 pm

Its been confirmed. Pac is the more accurate puncher (despite all available evidence and computer stats.

Pac throws more punches.

Pac punches harder

Pac can fight orthodox better that Floyd

Pac has better counter punching skills

Pac has a bigger one Shocked

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next