The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales 19 - 9 England : Post Match Discussion.

+44
Smirnoffpriest
cabbagesandbrussels
munkian
screamingaddabs
rugbyfan
Ozzy3213
paddy
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
nottins
Draigoch
rhino-dragon
emack2
BATH_BTGOG
rodders
Seagultaf
DaveM
EnglishReign
RubyGuby
welshjohn369
nathan
Taffineastbourne
Totallybiasedscarlet
Coleman
tomathy
manofgwent
maestegmafia
glamorganalun
ML
Luckless Pedestrian
flyhalffactory
majesticimperialman
G2
TycroesOsprey
Boston Exile
Knowsit17
BigTrevsbigmac
nottins_jones
welshy824
Cymroglan
Turkster
HammerofThunor
perand25
mckay1402
Shifty
48 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Wales 19 - 9 England : Post Match Discussion. - Page 7 Empty Wales 19 - 9 England : Post Match Discussion.

Post by Shifty Sat 13 Aug 2011, 4:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

James Hook scored the crucial try as Wales beat England in a pulsating if error-strewn World Cup warm-up clash at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.

Wales, who lost Gavin Henson to injury, led 6-3 after two Rhys Priestland penalties but Toby Flood levelled it.

England dominated either side of half-time but failed to unlock Wales' defence, only managing another penalty.

Wales picked themselves up to score with Hook's try just before the hour and he landed two penalties to seal it.

England failed to score a try for the first time in 14 Tests to leave manager Martin Johnson with plenty to ponder ahead of their final warm-up match against Ireland in Dublin on 27 August.

Wales head coach Warren Gatland had told his team they had to win if they hoped to be considered serious contenders for the forthcoming World Cup, and they duly ended a three-match losing streak ahead of Argentina's visit to Cardiff next Saturday.

Gatland proud of Wales win
The hosts began strongly, George North taking an innovative kick-off on the right flank to set up a first-minute penalty for Priestland.

But England replied in kind as Flood's restart fell to Nick Easter and this time Wales got on the wrong side of referee Alain Rolland for the England fly-half to level.

Jamie Roberts was a knock-on away from a sensational try from Lloyd Burns' long line-out throw as the venom with which Wales started continued unabated.

Priestland's second penalty was the reward after 10 minutes, but when Wales' early fury abated, England's forward power began to take its toll.

In a display reminiscent of Johnson's heyday as captain, England's driving line-outs and close-quarter aggression were the foundation of a territorial dominance that spanned the game's two middle quarters.

An impressive series of scrums close to the Welsh line had the hosts in all sorts of trouble and on the brink of conceding a penalty try.

But just as that moment approached, England's pack lost control of the ball and when Richard Wigglesworth launched the backline attack, Henson was equal to the challenge.

He brought down Shontayne Hape and the ball spilled into grateful Welsh hands. But after an impressive opening half-hour, Henson was forced off by injury.

England wing Matt Banahan - who came into the starting line-up after Chris Ashton failed a fitness test - looked set to score in the right corner after 13 minutes but Shane Williams brought down the towering wing and Hook stripped him of the ball as he attempted to touch down.

Johnson frustrated by England errors
Flood levelled after Wales went off their feet at a ruck and for the rest of the opening period the hosts were forced to defend.

They did so admirably even if England showed a lack of invention and cutting edge in the Welsh 22.

Flood sent Mike Tindall through a hole in midfield on a 40-metre run, but Wales again thwarted the threat close to their own line when Hape was scragged, leaving England increasingly frustrated.

The hosts reshuffled their back division at the break, Aled Brew coming on at wing, Priestland departing and Williams switching to full-back.

Roberts was sin-binned within moments of the restart for not releasing the tackler, further disrupting their back division, and Flood put England ahead for the first time.

As the contest wore on the fitness advantage Wales skipper Sam Warburton and Roberts had claimed over their opponents seemed to be true.

The hosts' attacking style drew England back and forth across the field and as the gaps appeared Wales edged closer and closer to the try-line.

Just before the hour Hook evaded Dan Cole, James Haskell and Danny Care to touch down and reclaim the lead, converting his own try.

The Perpignan-bound player added a penalty after 68 minutes and despite Wales losing scrum-half Mike Phillips to the sin-bin with nine minutes left, England could still not take advantage.

Hook landed another penalty from halfway in the final minute to send the Welsh fans home delirious, and England away with much to contemplate.

Wales: Hook, North, Roberts, Henson, Shane Williams, Priestland, Phillips; James, Burns, Mitchell, Charteris, AW Jones, Lydiate, Warburton (capt), Faletau. Replacements: Bennett (for Burns, 53), Bevington (for James, James for Mitchell, 77), Turnbull, Tipuric, Knoyle, Scott Williams (for Henson, 32), Brew (for Priestland, 41).

Yellow card: Roberts (41), Phillips (71)

England: Foden, Banahan, Tindall (capt), Hape, Cueto; Flood, Wigglesworth; Corbisiero, Thompson, Cole; Deacon, Lawes; Wood, Fourie, Easter.

Replacements: Mears (for Thompson, 59), Stevens (for Corbisiero, 59), Palmer (for Deacon, 68), Haskell (for Fourie, 50), Care (for Wigglesworth, 30), Hodgson (for Flood, 68), Armitage (for Tindall, 59, Tindall back on 74).

Referee: A Rolland (Ire)

Attendance: 73,000

Last edited by AlynDavies on Sat 13 Aug 2011, 9:33 pm; edited 7 times in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Wales 19 - 9 England : Post Match Discussion. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wales 19 - 9 England : Post Match Discussion.

Post by Thomond Mon 15 Aug 2011, 6:07 pm

Am I wrong or was the roof not completely closed? There were parts of the gmae where you could clearly see light from outside on the crowd.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Wales 19 - 9 England : Post Match Discussion. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wales 19 - 9 England : Post Match Discussion.

Post by nottins Mon 15 Aug 2011, 6:12 pm

Thomond wrote:Am I wrong or was the roof not completely closed? There were parts of the gmae where you could clearly see light from outside on the crowd.

The corners of the roof have glass in them. This in the non moveable section of the roof. As can be seen here: http://www.worldstadia.com/gallery/Wales/Millennium%20Stadium/23/828.php

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 7:33 pm

Late but loving some of the comments on this thread such as ''Wales lost everywhere apart from on the scoreboard''. Seems like England didn't lose this game, the opposition just scored more points than them.

Now why does that sound familiar?

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 15 Aug 2011, 7:54 pm

Spot on Rucking - Ive been thinking about how they eulogised (and still do) about that tremendous defensive effort when they nilled the All Blacks with only 13 men on the field. That was great defense of course thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Aug 2011, 8:04 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Spot on Rucking - Ive been thinking about how they eulogised (and still do) about that tremendous defensive effort when they nilled the All Blacks with only 13 men on the field. That was great defense of course thumbsup
It was against NZ! Wales' defence was very good against England, but let's face, it I've seen more teeth on a baby maggot than England showed in attack on Saturday Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 15 Aug 2011, 8:10 pm

England had plenty of teeth milk (there's a pun there somewhere) they just had no bite - They ran hard, and when that didn't work ,they ran hard. Defences are pretty well organised these days so to fix it shouldn't take too much - It's just a little damaging to overall confidence after a good 6 nations.

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:11 pm

nottins_jones wrote:Well said welshy, but unfortunately nottins is still smarting from this defeat and on top of that is still paying back the loan he took out to go watch England win the sevens world cup in 2008; the one Wales won. So now we see him drinking wine and grinding an axe via a rugby debate forum.

Don't know how I missed this last night

I'm not smarting from the defeat, far from it, just disappointed that they couldn't turn all the possession and territory into points. I didn't take a loan out to go to the RWC Sevens World Cup in 2008 as there wasn't one. I did however pay cash for the trip to RWC 7's World Cup in Dubai in 2009. I was actually drinking cocktails last night, but thanks for your concern. thumbsup

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:23 pm

Haha lier laughing. As soon as it was posted you complained, hence the report button being highlighted. But it was ignored by our Admins as it was correct. And my further advice is to stay off the cocktails...
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:34 pm

nottins_jones wrote:Haha lier laughing. As soon as it was posted you complained, hence the report button being highlighted. But it was ignored by our Admins as it was correct. And my further advice is to stay off the cocktails...

I think you'll find it's spelt "liar". laughing

It still doesn't preclude the facts that I didn't get a loan or go to Dubai in 2008.

I'll drink what I want, when I want. Thanks. thumbsup

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:39 pm

Bye child.

Last edited by nottins_jones on Tue 16 Aug 2011, 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:58 pm

Looking at your user names, I thought you were having an argument with yourself, I never realised there was 2 of you Headscratch
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:00 pm

nottins_jones

"His name's Henry Jones Jnr... We named the dog nottins."

thumbsup
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:27 pm

nottins and nottins_jones

I am going to say this to both of you, and I speak here for the entire moderation team in doing so.

We are getting a little tired of your continued petty squabbling and childishness. You have both had a number of warnings about your contributions to this forum, and if you continue to take threads off topic with personal insults and pointless bickering we will be left with no alternative but to ban you from the site.

Now, give it a rest, and start contributing positively to debates or do not contribute at all.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Tue 16 Aug 2011, 3:13 am

I had 2 days ban for calling a muppet a muppet!!!
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:59 am

Well said LDCPete.

Their bickering is bringing this site down to the levels experienced in the old 606 clap OK

nottins_Jones

I never said the Welsh should sing GSTQ, but I did say that some small sections of the crowd showed no respect to the anthem, the opposing team or its fans by sitting down during it, this was rugby not a football.

Also seeing as it was a reasonable day outside why was the roof closed as it was always going to get greasy and humid inside, the game was never going to flow more than 3/4 phases of play due to handling errors, it would have been a better game with it open, are there any stadiums in NZ with roofs!
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Tue 16 Aug 2011, 10:08 am

I already said somewhere that DUNEDIN is under a roof, a roof that does not open.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Residents-fear-Dunedin-debt-crisis/tabid/423/articleID/216950/Default.aspx
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:22 pm

I thought there was so many handling errors as both sides were rusty-as was the reason why there were errors in twickenham

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7