The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales 19 - 9 England : Post Match Discussion.

+44
Smirnoffpriest
cabbagesandbrussels
munkian
screamingaddabs
rugbyfan
Ozzy3213
paddy
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
nottins
Draigoch
rhino-dragon
emack2
BATH_BTGOG
rodders
Seagultaf
DaveM
EnglishReign
RubyGuby
welshjohn369
nathan
Taffineastbourne
Totallybiasedscarlet
Coleman
tomathy
manofgwent
maestegmafia
glamorganalun
ML
Luckless Pedestrian
flyhalffactory
majesticimperialman
G2
TycroesOsprey
Boston Exile
Knowsit17
BigTrevsbigmac
nottins_jones
welshy824
Cymroglan
Turkster
HammerofThunor
perand25
mckay1402
Shifty
48 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Wales 19 - 9 England : Post Match Discussion. - Page 2 Empty Wales 19 - 9 England : Post Match Discussion.

Post by Shifty Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

James Hook scored the crucial try as Wales beat England in a pulsating if error-strewn World Cup warm-up clash at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.

Wales, who lost Gavin Henson to injury, led 6-3 after two Rhys Priestland penalties but Toby Flood levelled it.

England dominated either side of half-time but failed to unlock Wales' defence, only managing another penalty.

Wales picked themselves up to score with Hook's try just before the hour and he landed two penalties to seal it.

England failed to score a try for the first time in 14 Tests to leave manager Martin Johnson with plenty to ponder ahead of their final warm-up match against Ireland in Dublin on 27 August.

Wales head coach Warren Gatland had told his team they had to win if they hoped to be considered serious contenders for the forthcoming World Cup, and they duly ended a three-match losing streak ahead of Argentina's visit to Cardiff next Saturday.

Gatland proud of Wales win
The hosts began strongly, George North taking an innovative kick-off on the right flank to set up a first-minute penalty for Priestland.

But England replied in kind as Flood's restart fell to Nick Easter and this time Wales got on the wrong side of referee Alain Rolland for the England fly-half to level.

Jamie Roberts was a knock-on away from a sensational try from Lloyd Burns' long line-out throw as the venom with which Wales started continued unabated.

Priestland's second penalty was the reward after 10 minutes, but when Wales' early fury abated, England's forward power began to take its toll.

In a display reminiscent of Johnson's heyday as captain, England's driving line-outs and close-quarter aggression were the foundation of a territorial dominance that spanned the game's two middle quarters.

An impressive series of scrums close to the Welsh line had the hosts in all sorts of trouble and on the brink of conceding a penalty try.

But just as that moment approached, England's pack lost control of the ball and when Richard Wigglesworth launched the backline attack, Henson was equal to the challenge.

He brought down Shontayne Hape and the ball spilled into grateful Welsh hands. But after an impressive opening half-hour, Henson was forced off by injury.

England wing Matt Banahan - who came into the starting line-up after Chris Ashton failed a fitness test - looked set to score in the right corner after 13 minutes but Shane Williams brought down the towering wing and Hook stripped him of the ball as he attempted to touch down.

Johnson frustrated by England errors
Flood levelled after Wales went off their feet at a ruck and for the rest of the opening period the hosts were forced to defend.

They did so admirably even if England showed a lack of invention and cutting edge in the Welsh 22.

Flood sent Mike Tindall through a hole in midfield on a 40-metre run, but Wales again thwarted the threat close to their own line when Hape was scragged, leaving England increasingly frustrated.

The hosts reshuffled their back division at the break, Aled Brew coming on at wing, Priestland departing and Williams switching to full-back.

Roberts was sin-binned within moments of the restart for not releasing the tackler, further disrupting their back division, and Flood put England ahead for the first time.

As the contest wore on the fitness advantage Wales skipper Sam Warburton and Roberts had claimed over their opponents seemed to be true.

The hosts' attacking style drew England back and forth across the field and as the gaps appeared Wales edged closer and closer to the try-line.

Just before the hour Hook evaded Dan Cole, James Haskell and Danny Care to touch down and reclaim the lead, converting his own try.

The Perpignan-bound player added a penalty after 68 minutes and despite Wales losing scrum-half Mike Phillips to the sin-bin with nine minutes left, England could still not take advantage.

Hook landed another penalty from halfway in the final minute to send the Welsh fans home delirious, and England away with much to contemplate.

Wales: Hook, North, Roberts, Henson, Shane Williams, Priestland, Phillips; James, Burns, Mitchell, Charteris, AW Jones, Lydiate, Warburton (capt), Faletau. Replacements: Bennett (for Burns, 53), Bevington (for James, James for Mitchell, 77), Turnbull, Tipuric, Knoyle, Scott Williams (for Henson, 32), Brew (for Priestland, 41).

Yellow card: Roberts (41), Phillips (71)

England: Foden, Banahan, Tindall (capt), Hape, Cueto; Flood, Wigglesworth; Corbisiero, Thompson, Cole; Deacon, Lawes; Wood, Fourie, Easter.

Replacements: Mears (for Thompson, 59), Stevens (for Corbisiero, 59), Palmer (for Deacon, 68), Haskell (for Fourie, 50), Care (for Wigglesworth, 30), Hodgson (for Flood, 68), Armitage (for Tindall, 59, Tindall back on 74).

Referee: A Rolland (Ire)

Attendance: 73,000

Last edited by AlynDavies on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:33 pm; edited 7 times in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Wales 19 - 9 England : Post Match Discussion. - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales 19 - 9 England : Post Match Discussion.

Post by Shifty Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Just went to the Kebab shot and there were 8 men in there. 4 in welsh tops with big grins on their faces, 1 with a lions top, barely holding his balance also very happy, 2 with ospreys tops with big smiles and 1 with a Kenfig Hill rugby top.
Amazing the effect a Wales win against England can have, I think I was the only sober one and half of them seemed to be driving!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Wales 19 - 9 England : Post Match Discussion. - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales 19 - 9 England : Post Match Discussion.

Post by maestegmafia Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:25 pm

Well said Alyn

Has really put a smile on everyone's faces.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:29 pm

Just on the train home from the game.
Burns was awful. Charteris was excellent and lydiate. Sam warburton was sensational. We only win with hook at10. Simples!! Roberts and north were excellent so too Shane.
England dominated in the set piece but were utterly clueless behind the scrum. Wales were pinned back in their own half for long periods and how we wonni stool don't know.
Defensive effort was immense.
Now we can beat Argentina and build some momentum going into the WC.

You have to ask questions of England. So much dominance and twice walled were down to 14.

Much needed result

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:30 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:
AlynDavies wrote:Clearly in World Cup terms, you's have to say England will go further than Wales in the World Cup.

I really dont think thats the case. Over the two games Wales have scored twice as many tries and won one of the matches and the aggregate score is +6 in Wales favour. We still havent seen our first team. with players like Adam Jones, Gethin, Hibbard, Bradley to come into the front five we wont be anywhere near so underpowered in the setpiece again. with Halfpenny and Byrne(possibly) to come back into contention in the backs we are starting to develop some real strength and experience in the squad as a whole

If you're claiming to have beaten the England first team today then you have to admit you got beaten by our second team last week, and we all know that "aggregate score" is meaningless in a case like this.

I would personally back our first choice team against wales', and the draw at the WC will mean that we will be favoured to go further.

On England's performace today - the backs were dire. I like Banahan usually but today wasn't his day at all. Hape was ineffective as well, and flood did very little. Inside centre is going to be a real problem as always. Think wilkinson and tuilagi will be first choice now.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:46 pm

I don't think England know who there first team is but today showed that this one doesn't work, particularly the backline and halfbacks.

Banahan has never performed for England.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:51 pm

I've been a big detracter of Huw Bennet since i cant remember when. But these past two weeks (I understand two weeks dont make a player great) he has played really well. Same with Charteris, who i think is pushing for a starting spot in NZ. Phillips and Robs have also been great too, i think Dr.Robs needs to realise that his best position is at 13 with a ball player at 12. Would be good if they could keep up the form, but there is a while until the WC starts.

On the other side i've really liked Corbisero (sp?). Hes a powerful unit, and trys to make a nuisance of him self on the deck. Flood was poor today, shows how class Wilkinson is in contrast. All the same, i dont see Hodgson going. Nick Easter was invisible today, which i didnt expect. I'd assume Lawes is still carrying a knock, wasnt his usual gritty self.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:54 pm

tomathy wrote:If you're claiming to have beaten the England first team today then you have to admit you got beaten by our second team last week, and we all know that "aggregate score" is meaningless in a case like this.

I would personally back our first choice team against wales', and the draw at the WC will mean that we will be favoured to go further.

On England's performace today - the backs were dire. I like Banahan usually but today wasn't his day at all. Hape was ineffective as well, and flood did very little. Inside centre is going to be a real problem as always. Think wilkinson and tuilagi will be first choice now.

I think it's a good thing when a team has strength in depth, and in some position Wales and England do. England have a lot of talented forwards. 2 totally different English packs have stuffed the Welsh for 60 minutes over 2 games.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:56 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I don't think England know who there first team is but today showed that this one doesn't work, particularly the backline and halfbacks.

Banahan has never performed for England.

I thought he played quite well last week, but agree today. Thompson played well and I thought Fourie was quite good as well. Stuart Barnes needed to shut up about Lawes catching the ball in the lineout but he was good as well. The backs did so little that they can't seriously be the side we play against Argentina. Hope to see care, wilkinson, tuilagi and Ashton back in the starting lineup next time. The back row selection is an issue as well. Front five were really good though.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:58 pm

Coleman wrote:................ I'd assume Lawes is still carrying a knock, wasnt his usual gritty self.

I think he was fully fit, he didn't seem to have problems running, jumping, tackling or catching. There is (as usual) WAY too much pressure piled on his shoulders. Yes he is a talented, promising youngster. No, he isn't a world class lock ........ yet.

Todays performance was exactly what I would have expected - the pace of the game took him by surprise I think - just as in cricket, Test level is a long way above the national professional game. He had a solid game, did what was expected in the lineout and contributed around the park. If he can avoid serious injury, he may well be World Class in his position in 4 years time.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:03 pm

Well today we beat pretty much the team that won the 6 nations, but I agree with maesteg that game will have thrown Johnsons selection open and the Ireland game becomes a lot more important for England now.

As for Wales well honestly Im pretty happy. Argentina is a big game next week but another good showing and we could be on a bit of a roll when we face the saffers who did not look good today. England could easily lose to Ireland again and be going into the World cup with only an unconvincing win against our seconds in Twickenham.

And as for the WC draw well if we get out of the group we face Ireland or Australia both sides we can beat.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:09 pm

With Rees possibly out. Huw Bennett IS our first choice. I've just read that back and I feel a bit sick.
On Henson the bachelor. Great half hour him and Roberts were like a brick wall. Once Scott williams settled down, he too looked good.

Our front row could be our biggest weakness.

And..... We only win with hook at 10.
4 wins in 16 and hook has played at 10
In all 4. Priestland was good and this is why Stephen jones should have gone 2 years ago.

I still wish the likes of Toby and priestland had another half dozen caps under their belts.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:11 pm

And maybe a bity of humble pie after your castigation of this team when it was selected MOG?

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:12 pm

I wont write off our front row, even James and Mitchell, in 2 seasons this is the only time we have ever seen them come off second best, and lets be honest this is a typical johnson style bully boy english pack.
One thing thats clear is fiji and Samoa cant scrum at all, so we will dominate there regardless of who we play to be honest.

Besides Wales winning against england at Cardiff is like a rocker up the áss in confidence terms for our players.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:13 pm

Hammer:

I don't agree regarding the penalty try, every scum in that sequence England were not pushing straight and boring in on the hooker. Just watched the highlights and even B Moore though it was not a P try. The analysis at half time on Sky showed this tactic. I don't think the ref had a clue, the first scrum where Wales had a penalty, James did not bind and Wales drove too early!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:13 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:...................and as for the WC draw well if we get out of the group we face Ireland or Australia both sides we can beat.

After today's shambles of a performance by the 'boks, shouldn't Wales be looking to top the group?

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:14 pm

Huw Bennet is playing well. Cant we be happy that hes not playing awfully? Shame about Gavin breaking his arm. Him and Roberts in time could have been very good together. Not sold on Robs and JD2. Not enough creativity. Maybe try Scott Williams and Robs against the Argies?

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:15 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:
England could easily lose to Ireland again and be going into the World cup with only an unconvincing win against our seconds in Twickenham.

I know that this has been gone over a lot, but the welsh side that played at twickenham was:

James
Bennet
Mitchell
Davies
AWJ
Lydiate
Warburton
Faletau

Phillips

Priestland
Shane
Roberts
JD2
North

Stoddart

Players I would consider to be first choice are in bold. It wasn't your second team at all. England however made 12 changes from one game to the next, as opposed to 4, so at least one of the sides we put out can't have been even nearly first choice.

Sorry to bring up a much debated point again, but I really can't see where I'm wrong on this (bar people disagreeing with one or two of my choices)
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:19 pm

manofgwent wrote:

And..... We only win with hook at 10.
4 wins in 16 and hook has played at 10
In all 4. Priestland was good and this is why Stephen jones should have gone 2 years ago.

I still wish the likes of Toby and priestland had another half dozen caps under their belts.

Priestland wasn't ready two years ago and Hook didn't play at 10 the full 80 in those 4 games, so your point about Stephen Jones is bull, but it's good that now we've got a choice between Wellies successor at the Scarlets and Hook who, because couldn't get in at 10 at his region, is moving to France and ,hopefully, will fulfill his potential there.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:20 pm

ML wrote:
TycroesOsprey wrote:...................and as for the WC draw well if we get out of the group we face Ireland or Australia both sides we can beat.

After today's shambles of a performance by the 'boks, shouldn't Wales be looking to top the group?

Even if we top the group we still face either Ireland or Australia.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:21 pm

tomathy wrote:
Sorry to bring up a much debated point again, but I really can't see where I'm wrong on this (bar people disagreeing with one or two of my choices)

I would disagree with four of your choices (albeit one is only positional).

That moves the number of second stringers up to 8 (9 if you include the positional switch). Thats a second string side in anyone's book.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:23 pm

Turkster wrote:Priestland wasn't ready two years ago and Hook didn't play at 10 the full 80 in those 4 games, so your point about Stephen Jones is bull, but it's good that now we've got a choice between Wellies successor at the Scarlets and Hook who, because couldn't get in at 10 at his region, is moving to France and ,hopefully, will fulfill his potential there.

Smack on mate, Preistland is a bit like Biggar, burst on as a young man, needed a few seasons to settle down before his quality starts to shine through.
Once they learn success will not come without dedication and hard work they knuckle down and improve.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:26 pm

I like Priestlands game, he keeps defences honest. Is he going to run, kick, chip, pass, take it flat? Reminds me a bit of Nicky Robinson, but in a more consistant manner.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:29 pm

ML wrote:
tomathy wrote:

I would disagree with four of your choices (albeit one is only positional).

That moves the number of second stringers up to 8 (9 if you include the positional switch). Thats a second string side in anyone's book.

Which four out of interest. I would guess Faletau and north. The others seems to be pretty sold.

Anyway, the point still stands that the England side at twickenham had fewer first choicers in the team. Also, the welsh front row have had a lot of gametime over the last 10 games or so, whether or not they would normally be considered first choice. Those two props played most of the six nations.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Also, I don't think a team with 8 or 9 first team players counts as "seconds" (the term that was used). There is no overlap between firsts and seconds.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Gurnards.
Sexton wasn't ready 2 years ago.

The stats on Wales last 16 games. Fly half.

Jones played 8. 0 wins.
Biggar played 1. 0 wins.
Priestland. Played 2. 1 win.
Hook. Played 5. 3 wins.

That's no bull!!

I know hook has his critics, but the stats don't lie.
Flyhalf factory doesn't rate hook at 10, but I guarantee if he hadn't been moved from 15 to 10 today it would have been another defeat.

Hook i's wales 10.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:41 pm

MOG: Totally agree, Hook has the big match mind set I think Gatland can leave S Jones behind and pick a fullback instead to cover for Byrne but that will not happen options Tovey, B Davies, Dan Evans.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:41 pm

Well, one lucky win against a badly misfiring England and all of a sudden:

- Phillips is awesome
- This front five was always gonna be fine
- Gatland is a great coach after all

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

However, coming back down to reality that is, what Gatland has done is build Wales' game around a very solid defence. I've been critical of the lack of attacking capability over the last two years and of the kicking tactics. I think a strong defence on it's own is obviously insufficient. Finally we are starting to look like we can play a bit too. In the 40 mins where we were getting some parity up front we looked far more dangerous than England (in both matches). Sad as I am to say it, it does look like Stevies days at 10 are numbered. He may go to the RWC as a squad member but Hook and Priestland are both ahead of him now. Only injury will see him play now I think.

Alarmingly without our 1st choice front 5 we spend far too much time defending and the possession and territory stats make for eyewatering viewing. Only Englands woefully inept attacking has allowed us to stay in these last two tests. By rights we should have been stuffed. Great defence but far too little possession. Our back row is an asset and has also come to our rescue, Warburton in particular being very effective at the breakdown. I'd like to see Turnbull play vs Argentina at 7 to see if we have an able deputy (being biased I believe we do Wink). I think it's been a mistake to leave Iestyn Thomas out of the squad. Yapp isn't half the prop Thomas is. His scrummaging prowess and hard work in the loose would come in handy if called upon.

I'm still slightly undecided but I think our 1st team should look something like this:

15. Priestland (Byrne's form is too poor)
14. North (recent run of games and form nudge him ahead of 1/2P)
13. Roberts (Definitely better at outside centre)
12. JD2 (More dangerous than Henson on current form)
11. Williams (The "Hobbit" who regularly embarrasses englands lumpy blokes Very Happy)

10. Hook (Just looks hungry for the shirt and causes a lot of damage in attack)
9. Phillips (goes against the grain for me this but just edges Knoyle out on experience though I expect Knoyle will knock him off this perch soon enough)

8. Jones (His experience and safe hands nudges him ahead of the very promising Faletau - covers lock too)
7. Warburton
6. Lydiate
5. Davies
4. AW Jones
3. Jones
2. Rees/Hibbard/Bennett *
1. Jenkins

16. James
17. Hibbard/Bennett/Burns *
18. Turnbull (Nudges ahead of Charteris - can play any of the back 5 in the pack)
19. Faletau (Great impact player to have off the bench)

20. Knoyle
21. Scott Williams (Great prospect - will get better with every game)
22. Halfpenny (A real handful, great cover for the back 3)

* - Injury depending

For the remaining 8 places in the RWC squad I'd go

Mitchell
Bennett/Burns/Owens (Depending on injuries)
Charteris
Delve

Lloyd Williams (Just being realistic here based on who's in the current squad - personally I'd go with Peel if fit or Wayne Evans)
Stephen Jones
Gavin Henson (If fit)
Aled Brew
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:42 pm

mog, Flyhalf isn't going to like your stats facts. Laugh

Both games had a new injection of pace to them, I think Jones is too slow to be honest. Perhaps Hook at 12 and Roberts at 13 is also worth a look at. And for all those saying Roberts is a 13, didn't he have to move back to 12 for the majority of the game and still stand there in defence? I swear he was also stood in that channel in the Eng 22 where he knocked on whilst trying to gather Burns' overthrown lineout.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Wales take the positives.England back play was as bad as I can remember and they never have been too clever.They can scour the planet and they still cannot get a backline.I am starting to feel sorry for them.They could try picking some English guys,it might just work.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:44 pm

manofgwent wrote:Gurnards.
Sexton wasn't ready 2 years ago.

The stats on Wales last 16 games. Fly half.

Jones played 8. 0 wins.
Biggar played 1. 0 wins.
Priestland. Played 2. 1 win.
Hook. Played 5. 3 wins.

That's no bull!!

I know hook has his critics, but the stats don't lie.
Flyhalf factory doesn't rate hook at 10, but I guarantee if he hadn't been moved from 15 to 10 today it would have been another defeat.

Hook i's wales 10.

🤦

so Hook won those games alone, no one else was playing, just imagine what Wales could actually do if they bothered to send out the other 14 players with him, you'd think Gatland would have sussed out by now that he needs 15 players on the pitch.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Turkster wrote:🤦

so Hook won those games alone, no one else was playing, just imagine what Wales could actually do if they bothered to send out the other 14 players with him, you'd think Gatland would have sussed out by now that he needs 15 players on the pitch.

Heaven forbid a Dragon would give any Scarlets some credit Wink
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Genius Turkster.
Those stats are no coincidence.
We haven't won with Stephen at 10 since the 2010 6 nations.
Love him or hate him. James hooks a match winner. laughing

Last edited by manofgwent on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:57 pm

I'll give a scarlet credit.
Priestland had a good half and George north goes from strength to strength.
I'm not interested in regions alyn. This i's a Wales debate. Lloyd burns was dreadful. Samwarburtin was immense and for me will be one the best players of his generation. I believe this boy will lead Wales for many years.
I think every fan is slightly biased and try not to slate bad players because of who they play for.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:58 pm

manofgwent wrote:Genius Turkster.
Those stats are no coincidence.
We haven't won with Stephen at 10 since the 2010 6 nations.
Love him or hate him. James hooks a match winner. laughing

Italy...away.......last minute penalty..........Hook goes for the corner................Ref blows full time..................Wales lose! Whistle

hey, if you want to use rubbish statistics, so can anyone! One player doesn't make a team!

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:01 pm

tomathy wrote:Also, I don't think a team with 8 or 9 first team players counts as "seconds" (the term that was used). There is no overlap between firsts and seconds.

I don't think squabbling over whether the performance is relevant or not due to the quality of the selected players, in this circumstance, as these games are so obviously designed to test the squads and experiment, has much purpose.

These games were about the performance.

From a welsh perspective, the performances were both good. I also think the coaches have probably discovered a great deal about who they want who works well together and whether players with fewer caps can fulfil their roles as replacements or even surpass the more experienced established players.

That is a bigger acheivement right now than the win. Though the win has certainly added to our feel good factor immensely...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:04 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
tomathy wrote:Also, I don't think a team with 8 or 9 first team players counts as "seconds" (the term that was used). There is no overlap between firsts and seconds.

I don't think squabbling over whether the performance is relevant or not due to the quality of the selected players, in this circumstance, as these games are so obviously designed to test the squads and experiment, has much purpose.

These games were about the performance.

From a welsh perspective, the performances were both good. I also think the coaches have probably discovered a great deal about who they want who works well together and whether players with fewer caps can fulfil their roles as replacements or even surpass the more experienced established players.

That is a bigger acheivement right now than the win. Though the win has certainly added to our feel good factor immensely...!

For me Maes, what it's all revealed is that we desperately need our 1st choice front 5 out and that either Hook or Priestland have to start at 10. It's also confirmed to me that we are more fluent with Roberts at 13 (or just not at 12!). If we'd have had the same possession and territory stats vs a decent team we'd have been mullered!
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:28 pm

i think us welsh are getting a bit carried away, yes hook and priestland played very well at 10 but we cannot forget the experience that sj has.

one observation i had is while englands pack which in my eyes was more of a second string pack performed well at the break down, you would have to say the england backs that were played were very close to the starting backline MJ will use for the WC (albeit the absense of ashton) and that in my eyes would be a worry for english fans- and as a forward (yes a welshman but a forward all the same) i feel gutted for the england pack after all the possession they got, just to watch the backs do nothing, it is one of the most irritating things a forward can see

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:34 pm

Turkster. Don't embarrass yourself.
Last minute v Italy 4 years ago. Well you really have had to go back and dig that one out. You must be the only person who blames hook for that.

Ref.. Do we have tome to go for touch?
Ref: yes.
I'm not sur that James was to blame.
What else can you blame hook for??

One thing I will say about priestland. He sure has looked good and hard at jones' restarts. They were awful.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:35 pm

welshy824 wrote:i think us welsh are getting a bit carried away, yes hook and priestland played very well at 10 but we cannot forget the experience that sj has.

one observation i had is while englands pack which in my eyes was more of a second string pack performed well at the break down, you would have to say the england backs that were played were very close to the starting backline MJ will use for the WC (albeit the absense of ashton) and that in my eyes would be a worry for english fans- and as a forward (yes a welshman but a forward all the same) i feel gutted for the england pack after all the possession they got, just to watch the backs do nothing, it is one of the most irritating things a forward can see

I thought Wales outplayed England at the breakdown, England were much stronger than us at set-piece and didn't get as much broken field play as they wanted.....mind you I don't think their backs would have known what to do with broken play possession if they had it anyway

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:38 pm

manofgwent wrote:Turkster. Don't embarrass yourself.
Last minute v Italy 4 years ago. Well you really have had to go back and dig that one out. You must be the only person who blames hook for that.

Ref.. Do we have tome to go for touch?
Ref: yes.
I'm not sur that James was to blame.
What else can you blame hook for??

One thing I will say about priestland. He sure has looked good and hard at jones' restarts. They were awful.

you seem to be the one embarrassing yourself blaming one player for all our losses and praising one particular player for all our wins, is you can't see there's more than one reason for losing a game then I feel sorry for you. Fair enough you're a James Hook fanboy, but it really is getting tiresome.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:44 pm

Welshy824

At te start of today I think MJ would have seen that as near his first choice backline. He normally talks up losses and talks down wins, so for him to be so openly frustrated after that indicates that he might reconsider. I think pretty much all fans want to see wilkinson start, and most would say the same for tuilagi. Inside centre is tricky as we just don't have a very good option there at the moment. Hape was great in the autumn internationals but seems to have lost his way since then.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:52 pm

The Turks really hate Hook don't they.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Turkster. I'll give jones credit, he's been a great servant, but he's nearly 34 and past it.
I haven't said hook was the reason for us winning the only games we have in 18 months, but his switch to 10 today was a massive reason we won the game.
I'm not slating Stephen. I'm just saying he's past it.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:56 pm

nottins_jones wrote:The Turks really hate Hook don't they.

grow up FFS! 🤦

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:58 pm

manofgwent wrote:Turkster. I'll give jones credit, he's been a great servant, but he's nearly 34 and past it.
I haven't said hook was the reason for us winning the only games we have in 18 months, but his switch to 10 today was a massive reason we won the game.
I'm not slating Stephen. I'm just saying he's past it.

I think everyone has realised his time has come, the constant knocking though is pretty shabby.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:01 pm

Why has it taken 1 month before the WC for gatland to realise his time has cone? Priestland should have played against the ba bass and.
I'm not knocking jones. I'm knocking the coach.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:04 pm

manofgwent wrote:Why has it taken 1 month before the WC for gatland to realise his time has cone? Priestland should have played against the ba bass and.

Because sometimes it takes a bit of luck and an accident for a player to ake a name for himself. Shane Williams went to the 2003 World Cup as third choice scrum half! One game against New Zealand later and he was undroppable. 8 years later and Wales is crying he;s retiring after the World Cup.
Life is like that sometimes mate Smile
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:05 pm

Gawd,I hate parochialism!It is what has held Welsh Rugby back for 30 years .LOOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE!!!!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:07 pm

manofgwent wrote:Why has it taken 1 month before the WC for gatland to realise his time has cone? Priestland should have played against the ba bass and.

perhaps the same reasons he keeps playing Jonathon Thomas, Powell, Huw Bennett, Yapp. Every coach has his favourites and his 'dependable' players, also I think Wellies plays to his orders a bit more than any other 10, if you watch him for the Scarlets he plays nothing like he does for Wales, perhaps Gatland just likes a more controlling 10 than a 'flair' one like Hook and, happy to say it, Priestland.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:Gawd,I hate parochialism!It is what has held Welsh Rugby back for 30 years .LOOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE!!!!

Wales 19 - 9 England : Post Match Discussion. - Page 2 1yuz2p
Wales 19 - 9 England : Post Match Discussion. - Page 2 20fozeq

Shocked

Sorry lads I'm defecting to the Italians. angel
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next