The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rangers News

+54
ncfc_Tooze
cherriesfna
barragan
McLaren
Soldier_Of_Fortune
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
JamesLincs
drsambo1928
Shifty
Geordie
Prettybhoyfloyd
Dave.
davidl1061
Gregers
Luke
sportform
GSC
CaledonianCraig
superflyweight
Kenny
DJ Legless
Adam D
Gordy
The Special Juan
RDuncan8
Hero
lorus59
cabbagesandbrussels
Enforcer
BigPhil
Ayrshirebhoy
Lee
Il Gialloblu
Dass
6oldenbhoy
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Doon the Water
RinoGattuso
marcellus wallace
Dr Gregory House MD
Mat
liegerwoods
Nay
JAS
Josiah Maiestas
Kay Fabe
super_realist
Celtic Warrior
User Name
monty junior
tarka
Crimey
TipToes88
The Galveston Giant
58 posters

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Rangers News - Page 4 Empty Rangers News

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 14 Aug - 4:36

First topic message reminder :

Updates on Rangers Transfer news.

Last edited by The Galveston Giant on Fri 24 Feb - 18:46; edited 1 time in total
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Rangers News - Page 4 Empty Re: Rangers News

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 8 Jan - 17:11

Rangers will never get anywhere near £10m for Nikica Jelavic, let's be serious about it, if Rangers get £6.5m for him they'll do business, no doubts about it

Dorrans hasn't done anything in 18 months to suggest he's worth anymore than £1.5-2m and that is way out of Rangers reacg at the moment, I think if the lad ends up at Ibrox it will be on a six month loan deal with a view to possibly doing business at a set-price in the summer time, Dorrans signed a new contract witrh West Brom after his good season in the Championship and he's on around £20k per week, so I've read anyway, so if that's the case Rangers will be looking for him to take a cut

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by RinoGattuso Sun 8 Jan - 18:22

QPR have sacked Warnock.

Neil Warnock fired by QPR. Statement at 7.30pm

Wonder if that will affect any business.

RinoGattuso

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Sun 8 Jan - 18:29

All gone quiet down here regarding Jelavic and Dorrans. We also seem to be interested in Nicky Maynard, who we'll probably go for as he costs less.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 8 Jan - 19:12

I heard yesterday that Celtic had made an approach for Maynard too, I thought Bristol City would be looking for £3m+ for him but I heard Celtic think he'll go for about £1.75m, that's a steal

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 8 Jan - 19:14

#HEEL wrote:QPR have sacked Warnock.

Neil Warnock fired by QPR. Statement at 7.30pm

Wonder if that will affect any business.

Best thing QPR could have done, dud manager

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Sun 8 Jan - 19:33

the-gaffer wrote:I heard yesterday that Celtic had made an approach for Maynard too, I thought Bristol City would be looking for £3m+ for him but I heard Celtic think he'll go for about £1.75m, that's a steal

He's out of contract at the end of the season, which I assume is the reason why they are willing take any sort of money for him rather than lose him on a free.

Fair bit of interest in him by the looks of it.

Mat
6CW Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 8 Jan - 19:41

Do you rate him? I've never really saw much of him unless it's a goal he's scored on SSN

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Sun 8 Jan - 19:56

Only ever seen him in the flesh once, but from the couple of live games I've seen this year he's been impressive.

Very pacy and a good finisher. Not too sure about his all-round link-play at a higher level than he's playing at currently.

Mat
6CW Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 21 Jan - 14:48

David Weir says goodbye to Rangers, five years after a 'stop-gap' move

THEY may witness something unusual at half-time at Ibrox this afternoon, the sight of Craig Whyte, the Rangers owner, taking David Weir by the arm and effectively dragging him out on to the pitch.

Weir has decided to move on after five years and a grateful support will be given the chance to say thanks and bid farewell to their captain midway through the match with Aberdeen. The only problem, however, is that Weir doesn't want to do it. Not a man to make a fuss, the 41-year-old would rather slip away quietly than have 45,000 supporters applauding and hollering his name. His approach stands in stark contrast to the likes of, say, Frank de Boer, who took a curtain call, a bouquet of flowers and the acclaim of the Ibrox crowd after just four months and 15 appearances.

Weir's reluctance to say a public goodbye also stems from the knowledge that he might get emotional too. He is as stoic as they come – a man's man, as they say – but even just talking about the prospect of leaving the club he supported as a kid had him welling up yesterday. Weir crying on the pitch at Ibrox? Don't rule it out.

That he will take his final bow in club suit and brogues rather than first-team strip and tracksuit is the reason behind his departure. Ally McCoist talked diplomatically around the prospect of Weir being named among the substitutes and maybe getting a late run-out before conceding it was unlikely. This, after all, is a crucial league match, not a testimonial. Rangers need to beat Aberdeen and McCoist took the decision some time ago that his best squad of 18 does not include the former Scotland defender in it.

Weir, four months short of his 42nd birthday, wants to continue playing and will likely go back down south, where his family are based, to do so. That is his primary reason for leaving, but it becomes clear he is also uncomfortable with taking a sizeable wage without making much of a contribution. It is surely more than a coincidence that in the same week that he leaves, Rangers are back signing players again and talking about the prospect of bringing in a couple more.

"I think it is the right thing to do," Weir said of his departure. "I didn't want to wait until February and then hold my hand up and say I wanted to go. It would have been the easiest thing in the world to stay here for the rest of the season. I love it here and I enjoy coming in to work every day. But I wasn't comfortable with it as it became obvious I wasn't playing. I'm sure that wage can be utilised somewhere else."

McCoist, reluctantly, conceded he would welcome such a development but didn't want to take the spotlight away from his departing captain. "If it does free up a wage, and it's money I can use, then of course I'll be delighted," said the manager. "But at the same time, believe me, it's not the most important thing right now.

"The most important thing is that Davie gets the chance to say cheerio and the fans get the opportunity to say thank you. Sometimes in the modern game you shake your head at some of the things that go on. But Davie's refreshing: old school class, dignity, everything you'd expect from a top player."

As Walter Smith tried to revive Rangers from the disaster that was Paul Le Guen's brief tenure, it was to Weir he turned for his first signing. The former Everton player was 36 and his arrival was seen as a temporary solution until Smith could undergo proper surgery to the squad the following summer.

Instead Weir stayed for five years, helping Rangers reach the UEFA Cup final and clinch three successive league titles. It is the latter, rather than the disappointment of losing to Zenit St Petersburg in Manchester, that he cherishes as his most precious memory. "The highlight is winning things, you learn that quite quickly here," he added. "You have got to win here and Walter taught us how to win. That has been a big part of the experience of being here. The UEFA Cup final was a disappointment. I've never watched it since."

Given the club's perilous financial situation over the past few years, Weir believes the teams he has been a part of deserve to be highly-ranked in the list of all-time great Rangers sides. "I think what we have achieved is unheralded given all the various issues that have been going on. Over time it will go down as one of the greatest Rangers teams ever. I genuinely feel that."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/david-weir-says-goodbye-to-rangers-five-years-after-a-stop-gap-move.16541606
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 21 Jan - 14:53

Mervan Celik will be a crowd pleaser at Rangers, says Ally McCoist

ALLy McCoist predicts that Mervan Celik will quickly become a favourite with the fans after Rangers yesterday completed the signing of the Swedish forward on a 3½-year deal.

"He's the type that the fans will like as he's very, very positive," said the manager. "He goes to take people on, he gets on the end of things and he's very direct."

Celik, a free agent after leaving GAIS last month, passed a medical yesterday, although compensation with his former club is still to be agreed. He will not be in the squad for this afternoon's match against Aberdeen at Ibrox but could make his debut against Hibernian a week today.

McCoist is keen to use the player as soon as possible. "He's still very young at 21, but we would be very hopeful we could push him forward early and get him in the team.

"He can play in a wide area in a four or a five and the couple of times we have seen him he can play through the middle as well. I wouldn't say he's cocky, but he's fearless. He looks to me like he just wants to take people on and get in the box."

Celik was similarly content now that the deal has been concluded. "It has taken some time but it is finished now and I am very happy with that. It is a very good set-up here, it is a very nice training ground and everything is perfect. Of course, now I am very hungry to be involved. I can tell the fans that I am a player who always plays with heart."

Rangers were last night also close to finalising a deal to sign Enar Jaager, the Estonian right-back, while Jorge Claros, the Honduran midfielder, will stay for a few more days after impressing this week.

McCoist will continue to search for a centre-forward but revealed it was now unlikely that St Johnstone's Francisco Sandaza will be signing. "Fran has rejected the offer of a pre-contract in the summer and we have cooled on it a little bit too, to be fair. He does know that we are still looking [for a striker]. So if we get an opportunity to bring someone in before the end of the window, that would have to put a dampener on the situation with Fran. That offer has been rejected and at this moment I'd have to say we are looking elsewhere."

Pawel Brozek, the Polish striker on the books of Turkish club Trabzonspor, is one Rangers will continue to monitor, while McCoist hopes to have a look at Michael Uchbo, the Nigerian forward, at some point in the coming week.

McCoist also revealed that there have been no concrete bids for Nikica Jelavic and that the £6m offer spoken about in one report was well short of the mark. "There has been no offer been put on the table for Jelavic from anyone. Having spoken to Craig [Whyte, Rangers owner] and Ali Russell [Rangers' director of operations], I can say that Craig feels £6m is well short. If it was in that region, people would be wasting their time."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/mervan-celik-will-be-a-crowd-pleaser-at-rangers-says-ally-mccoist.16541602
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 21 Jan - 14:57

Blackpool seal John Fleck loan switch from Rangers

Rangers forward John Fleck has joined Blackpool on loan until the end of the season, a move that leaves Sheffield United disappointed for a second time.

The 20-year-old Scotland Under-21 international travelled south to meet managers of both English clubs earlier this week.

But he chose Ian Holloway's Championship promotion hopefuls.

United's Danny Wilson was also thwarted in his attempt to sign Fleck at the end of the summer transfer window.

The League One outfit reached an agreement to take the nephew of former Scotland striker Robert Fleck and Rangers team-mate Kyle Hutton.

But the deal for the two Under-21 internationals failed to beat the deadline and midfielder Hutton subsequently joined Partick Thistle on loan until December.

It had looked like Fleck would join Blackpool earlier this month, but an injury to Rangers striker Kyle Lafferty put the Scot's departure from Ibrox in doubt.

Fleck came off the bench to replace the Northern Ireland international in a 3-0 win over Motherwell and started the 4-0 victory over Arbroath in the Scottish Cup.

However, he was back as an unused substitute for Saturday's 2-1 win over St Johnstone, whose own striker, Francisco Sandaza, has become a target for the Glasgow club.

Rangers were willing to allow Fleck to leave in the search of regular first-team football despite continued speculation about the future at Ibrox of Nikica Jelavic.

The Croatia striker has himself attracted interest from English clubs, including West Brom, although Rangers say there have been no cash bids and manager Ally McCoist stresses that he would not welcome any.

Both the Blades, who presently lie second behind Charlton Athletic in League One, and the Seasiders agreed terms with Rangers to take Fleck until the end of the season.

But he has chosen Blackpool, who sit ninth, three points adrift of sixth-top Hull City, as they chase a promotion play-off place in the league above.

He will hope to emulate Charlie Adam, who left for Blackpool after falling out of favour at Ibrox but eventually won a big-money move to Liverpool and elevation to Scotland's full international side.

Fleck joins former Rangers captain Barry Ferguson and Danny Wilson, the former Ibrox defender now on loan from Liverpool, in the Blackpool squad.

Meanwhile, failure to sign Fleck could result in United boss Wilson resurrecting his interest in Hutton.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16585130.stm
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 21 Jan - 15:02

Rangers end offer for Francisco Sandaza after rejected bid

St Johnstone striker Francisco Sandaza will not be joining Rangers after the player rejected the chance to sign a pre-contract offer.

Rangers said on Twitter on Friday lunchtime that their offer to the Spaniard had now been removed.

Sandaza's agent Clive Jagger confirmed to BBC Scotland that the deal foundered over the player's refusal to sign a deal now but not move until the summer.

Jagger had met Sandaza and his father in Madrid to discuss Rangers' proposal.

On Monday, the agent told BBC Scotland that he had spoken to Rangers manager Ally McCoist on a couple of occasions where "he asked if Fran would be interested in signing".

Jagger added that it went without saying that his client would be interested in a move to a club of Rangers' stature.

But he admitted the public nature of proceedings had not helped

"Too many people have got involved and put rumours about," he added.

"That's why we'll get together in Madrid today to decide our strategy. But there are a number of options.

"A Major League Soccer club expressed interest quite some time ago, and that interest has grown because of his performances.

"There's also been interest from a couple of Championship clubs and I believe a Premiership club went to watch him on Saturday, but I'm realistic enough to know clubs might have 10-20 strikers on a list, and maybe 19 of those will be crossed off.

"But I don't want to name any of the clubs because I'm not sure those clubs want their interest made public, and I don't want to jeopardise Fran's chances of being signed by any of them."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16577875.stm
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 21 Jan - 15:06

English clubs eye Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic

Liverpool are in pole position to sign Nikica Jelavic as English interest in the Croatia striker intensifies, BBC Scotland understands.

Premier League rivals Fulham and Championship outfit West Ham have been in contact about the 26-year-old.

Responding to interest from West Ham, Rangers boss Ally McCoist said: "They've not made an official bid.

"The reported amount would not be enough to meet the demands of the owner - £6m is not nearly enough."

Rangers rejected a £6.5m offer from Leicester City for Jelavic in the summer and claimed they also rebuffed a £9m approach from an unnamed club shortly before the closure of the transfer window.

The player himself later revealed that he had turned down overtures from Turkish outfit Fenerbahce but admitted ambitions to play in England's top flight.

He has recently been linked with Liverpool and QPR before it emerged that informal talks had been held with Sam Allardyce's West Ham.

McCoist, though, insisted that no bids - from West Ham or any other club - had been tabled since the January window opened, despite much speculation about the striker's future.

"I know Sam very well and I think, if there was a real interest, he and I would have spoken, but there has been no official bid made and I certainly haven't spoken to anyone about it," he said.

Jelavic began his career with Hajduk Split before moving on to Zulte Waregem then Rapid Vienna.

He joined Rangers for £4m in August 2010, when he signed a four-year contract, and is the Scottish champions' top scorer this season with 17 goals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16659157.stm
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 21 Jan - 15:09

Jaager lined up to follow Celik as McCoist steps up recruitment drive

Rangers manager Ally McCoist is hoping to add to the capture of Mervan Celik by securing the signature of Estonian defender Enar Jaager.

Celik became McCoist’s first signing of the January transfer window when the Scottish champions confirmed he had joined the club on a three-and-half-year deal yesterday.

McCoist now wants Jaager to be the next player to commit to a move to Ibrox after impressing while on trial with Honduran midfielder Jorge Claros this week. The Rangers manager said: “Both have done very well and we have been really impressed.

“Jaager is a very solid full-back and we will be looking to make him an offer.

“He trained on Monday, played in a game on Tuesday and did very well and looked impressive again in training yesterday and today.

“We are hoping to talk to his representatives and make him an offer.

“Jorge Claros, to be fair to the lad, came in from Miami late on Sunday night and appeared for training on Monday morning - that would be a shock to anybody’s system.

“He played in the game on Tuesday and looked very, very comfortable and has progressed on Wednesday and Thursday. I’m hopeful that Jorge can stay for another week.”

However, McCoist has now ended his interest in St Johnstone striker Francisco Sandaza after the player rejected a pre-contract offer.

He said: “We are still monitoring one or two centre-forwards. The Fran Sandaza deal is off at the moment. Fran has declined the offer of a pre-contract for the summer, which, of course, he is well entitled to do.

“We have withdrawn the offer and will just continue looking to strengthen in that department.”

John Fleck this week joined Blackpool on loan until the end of the season and Rangers may consider similar moves for other fringe players, such as Matt McKay and Alejandro Bedoya.

McCoist said: “I wouldn’t rule it out. I would need to look at numbers and take one or two things into account but it would be a possibility.”

Meanwhile, McCoist confirmed Steven Davis will take over the captain’s armband on a permanent basis following the departure of veteran defender David Weir. He said: “Steve Davis will step up and become the club captain, helped by Carlos Bocanegra. Carlos came in when Steve was suspended for the Arbroath game and Carlos, as we all know, is a natural leader.

“Steve will be captain and Carlos will be vice-captain and I don’t have problems, worries or concerns because I feel those two men are strong enough to lead our club forward.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/european/jaager_lined_up_to_follow_celik_as_mccoist_steps_up_recruitment_drive_1_2070220
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 21 Jan - 19:48

The fans are going to have a bit of fun with that name.

I can hear it now on the radio '...and Celik has scored for Rangers'

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 21 Jan - 20:25

Laugh It's weird isn't it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 22 Jan - 22:15

We he came over for a trial McCoist called him Celik (sSellick) but when he signed he called him Che-leak Laugh

Heard he's gettinh Marvin on his back, that's worse Laugh

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 23 Jan - 18:52

'They tried to get me cheaply' — Fran Sandaza tells Rangers they don't know what they're missing

St Johnstone striker Fran Sandaza has offered a scathing critique of the way Rangers handled their bid to sign him.

The Ibrox club wanted the Spaniard to sign a pre-contract agreement but the player declined, leaving the Light Blues to state that they were dropping their interest.

He claimed Rangers had tried to ''get me cheaply'' and suggested that, had he been playing for a club with a higher profile, the Ibrox side would have acted differently.

Sandaza, who reminded Gers boss Ally McCoist what he would be missing out on when he scored a spectacular winner for the Perth men in their 3-2 win over Hibs on Saturday, also stated he would have been worth at least 25 goals a season to the SPL champions, who remain likely to lose star frontman Nikica Jelavic before the transfer window closes.

Asked for his reason for rejecting the opportunity to agree a pre-contract deal, he replied: ''Why did I say no? Honestly, I think they don't value me highly enough. They are trying to get me cheaply.

''It (Rangers) is a big club — everyone would love to play for that team. I think that, if I play for that team, I am going to score 25 goals or more — easy.

''If I were playing for a big team like Rangers, I trust in my possibilities to score many goals. I would score more than I do for St Johnstone, obviously, because you get more chances. Everybody knows that.

''So they have to value me properly and I don't think they have done this with me (as regards) the pre-contract. That is why I am waiting, scoring many goals in this league and feeling good on the pitch.

"I'm not being big time, not thinking I am the best. No, I am working hard. I am humble.''

It was suggested that plying his trade in the SPL means he isn't as attractive a prospect as someone from a bigger league.

He responded: ''Exactly, that's why. That is why they think: 'Ah, he's a St Johnstone striker. He was injured last season, he did OK at Dundee United'. But I am the same player.

"Ask any coach who has worked with me. The best coach in Scotland, Craig Levein, can talk about me. I don't have to prove anything. I am talking on the pitch.''

Asked if Rangers failed to show him a proper level of respect by not buying outright, Sandaza replied: ''I don't know but if I had come from another league and I was doing the same as I'm doing here, they would say: 'Oh, what a striker'.

''But I'm coming from St Johnstone and they think I am not worth as much.

"I don't mind, though. I have full respect for them because they are a big club and Ally McCoist is a great manager with many good players.''

Sandaza was asked if there is still a possibility he could end up at Ibrox.

''If they really want me, they should show that they really want me, not play with me.''

He added: ''I have been working hard all my career to get to this level. That's why I don't think I could sign for money that I don't think is good enough.''

So what club would this Spaniard like to join next? Wearing a big smile, Sandaza declared: ''I would like to play for Real Madrid.''

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/Sport/Football/article/20451/they-tried-to-get-me-cheaply-fran-sandaza-tells-rangers-they-don-t-know-what-they-re-missing.html
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 23 Jan - 19:00

RANGERS OFFER DUO TRIALS

Rangers have confirmed striker Zlatan Muslimovic and midfielder Luigi Bruins will have trials with the Clydesdale Bank Premier League club this week.

Gers boss Ally McCoist will assess the pair as he bids to get their title challenge back on track, with the weekend's results leaving the defending champions four points behind Celtic at the top of the table.

Muslimovic, a Bosnia team-mate of Rangers defender Sasa Papac, has been without a club since his contract with Greek side PAOK ended in the summer.

The 30-year-old has an impressive goalscoring record at international level, scoring 12 goals in 33 appearances.

Holland Under-21 international Bruins, 24, is also without a club after leaving Austrian side Red Bull Salzburg last month.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/12/01/23/manual_122807.html
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 23 Jan - 19:35

The Galveston Giant wrote:RANGERS OFFER DUO TRIALS

Rangers have confirmed striker Zlatan Muslimovic and midfielder Luigi Bruins will have trials with the Clydesdale Bank Premier League club this week.

Gers boss Ally McCoist will assess the pair as he bids to get their title challenge back on track, with the weekend's results leaving the defending champions four points behind Celtic at the top of the table.

Muslimovic, a Bosnia team-mate of Rangers defender Sasa Papac, has been without a club since his contract with Greek side PAOK ended in the summer.

The 30-year-old has an impressive goalscoring record at international level, scoring 12 goals in 33 appearances.

Holland Under-21 international Bruins, 24, is also without a club after leaving Austrian side Red Bull Salzburg last month.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/12/01/23/manual_122807.html

They sound like a couple of top quality players. I'm surprised Barcelona aren't interested! Laugh
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 23 Jan - 19:42

Considering the way Sandaza is talking and the way they handled Goodwillie etc. They aren't looking at anything pricey at all are they, some of his signing have been complete duds.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 24 Jan - 20:22

Mate Celtic have been just as guilty in the past. We could have got Fletcher, McCarthy and McArthur for £4m for all three of them and we let them go.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 25 Jan - 20:38

Rangers reject bid for Nikica Jelavic

Rangers have rejected a bid from West Ham United for striker Nikica Jelavic.

The English Championship club followed up an initial enquiry with a firm offer of £7 million. Rangers have told West Ham that the offer was below their valuation of the player.

Jelavic's future has been the subject of speculation since last summer, when Rangers turned down a bid from Leicester City. Several clubs have been linked with a move for the player but West Ham's offer is the first concrete bid in the January transfer window.

Rangers manager Ally McCoist has repeatedly spoken of his wish to keep Jelavic, who has scored 17 goals in 27 appearance for the club this season. When news of West Ham's interest broke last weekend, McCoist said that he was aware of informal talks between Rangers owner Craig Whyte and his West Ham counterpart David Sullivan.

The manager then told Rangers’ website on Tuesday that he had spoken with West Ham manager Sam Allardyce but that no bid had been made.

McCoist has been keen to add a striker to his squad and would be keen to make a signing before the end of the transfer window regardless of whether Jelavic is sold or not.

Rangers have had a pre-contract offer for St Johnstone's Francisco Sandaza declined and subsequently withdrew their interest.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/295031-rangers-reject-bid-for-nikica-jelavic/
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 25 Jan - 20:42

Rangers blow as Zlatan Muslimovic trains with Sunderland

RANGERS’ hopes of signing Zlatan Muslimovic have been dealt a blow after the player spent yesterday training with Sunderland.

The Bosnia & Herzegovina striker trained with Rangers on Monday as the SPL champions look to bolster their squad before the transfer window closes next week. But it looks as though former Celtic manager Martin O’Neill could be about to scupper his old rivals, with agent Jan Bezemer reporting that his client spent yesterday with the Black Cats as he seeks a new club, following his summer departure from PAOK Salonika.

“Zlatan trained at Rangers (on Monday),” said Bezemer yesterday. “Everything was nice and we were interested. But now another offer has come in to train at another club. Zlatan trained at Sunderland today and we will now see how that works out. Zlatan had a very good feeling about Rangers. They are a very nice club, the trainer was a good man and he spoke very well.

“Rangers want him, but we have lots of interest in the player. He would like to play in a good league. The leagues in Scotland and England fall into that category.”

Muslimovic, 30, has scored 12 goals in 33 games for his country. Before joining PAOK he had a spell in Italy, first with Udinese – where he failed to make an impression and was loaned out to seven clubs, enjoying his most prolific spell at Rimini – and then Atalanta.

Meanwhile, David Healy hopes to return to goalscoring form when Hibernian visit Ibrox in the SPL on Saturday. The Rangers striker failed to find the net against Aberdeen in the 1-1 draw on Saturday and was just as annoyed that the champions slipped four points behind leaders Celtic.

“Saturday was frustrating,” he told Rangers’ official website. “I think it was one of those games that, if we had got the first goal, we would have scored three or four. But after we missed a few half-chances that gave Aberdeen’s confidence a boost.

“Of course I was disappointed not to score, I had a couple of opportunities and probably should have done better. But as a striker, you always want to get into positions to score goals, so hopefully I can be involved again against Hibs and I can get back on the scoresheet.”

Hibs will be without the suspended Garry O’Connor this weekend, but Healy believes the Leith side have another potential matchwinner in winger and fellow Northern Irishman Ivan Sproule.

He said: “They do have players that can cause problems. Sprouly scored a hat-trick at Ibrox in the past and I know he’s a Rangers fan and that he loves playing here. He’s got pace to burn and they have a new lad in Eoin Doyle, so they have decent players all over the pitch and we will need to be at our best to get the result we want.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/rangers_blow_as_zlatan_muslimovic_trains_with_sunderland_1_2075693
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 26 Jan - 19:27

McKay considers Gers exit

Aussie weighs up offers

Sky Sports understands Rangers midfielder Matt McKay is mulling over offers from South Korea and Saudi Arabia.

McKay is thought to be considering his future at Ibrox after finding himself well down the pecking order at Rangers

The 29-year-old, who joined Rangers from Brisbane Roar in the summer, has made just three SPL appearances for Ally McCoist's men this term.

The news has alerted a number of clubs to McKay's possible availability before the close of the transfer window.

It is understood sides from South Korea and Saudi Arabia have made enquiries for McKay and the Australian international is now weighing up his options.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7457607/
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 28 Jan - 8:42

Galveston
What's the odds on a Ayr v Falkirk final?

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 28 Jan - 14:15

Actually pretty good mate, i wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry. Still 0-0 with Ayr and Kilmarnock at the moment, Celtic should have enough tomorrow as they've been on decent form recently but you never know.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 28 Jan - 14:46

Gers keen on Brozek deal

McCoist sees Pole as a strike partner for Jelavic

Rangers boss Ally McCoist is hoping to sign Pawel Brozek on loan, but insists a deal for the striker will not hinge on the departure of Nikica Jelavic.

McCoist is aiming to improve his attacking options before Tuesday's deadline and wants to sign Poland international Brozek from Trabzonspor.

Preliminary talks have been held with the Turkish club and McCoist sees Brozek as a strike partner for Jelavic, who is a target for West Ham United.

"We have touched base with his club in terms of seeing if a deal can be put together," said McCoist.

"The lad wants to play as it's in his best interests with the Euros just round the corner.

"I haven't been told it is connected to the Jelavic deal, I'm hoping it is not as I fancy the two of them working together but time will tell."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7460910/
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 28 Jan - 15:02

Rangers end interest in Nigerian striker Michael Uchebo

Rangers have opted not to follow up their interest in Nigerian striker Michael Uchebo, who trained with the club on Thursday.

The 20-year-old is out of contract in the summer and Dutch club VVV Venlo are seeking a fee in the region of £1m.

"He came in and trained but he's left again - that was a club decision," boss Ally McCoist told his club website.

"We thought it was in the best interests of us and him that he pursued other options."

And McCoist added: "To my knowledge there has been absolutely no contact between the clubs, never mind a fee agreed."

The Nigeria Under-20 international has scored one goal in 13 appearances this season in Holland's Eredivisie.

Uchebo also had a spell on trial at Stoke City this month, but manager Tony Pullis decided against a move for the towering target man.

McCoist revealed that Honduran Jorge Claros remains on trial at Murray Park, where Luigi Bruins has also been training this week.

Estonian full-back Enar Jaager and striker Zlatan Muslimovic have moved on after brief periods in Glasgow, though the Rangers manager was impressed by the former and did not rule out a future move.

"We were not in a position to make him an offer but I'm certainly not going to close the door on that," he said of Jaager.

"If the opportunity arises and we're in a position to make a bid then we'll do that."

Another duo who have been linked to the Ibrox club are Rapid Vienna's Albanian forward Hamdi Salihi and Polish striker Pawel Brozek of Trabzonspor.

McCoist said: "Salihi is a player we've very well aware of. There's no movement at all but he's a player we're aware of.

"Brozek is the same. These are players that we're aware of and in an ideal world we might be able to get them to the club but there's nothing for me to tell you at the moment."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16751348.stm
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 29 Jan - 10:10

Nikica Jelavic sale key to Rangers transfer deals, says Ally McCoist

• No room on Ibrox wage bill for new players
• Manager defends under-fire scouting team

"What I can say to you, and I haven't said to anyone else, is that I can assure every Rangers fan I will not bring any player to this club that I don't think can play in the team or certainly benefit the squad." That is Ally McCoist's firm vow as the Rangers manager edges closer to what has proved so far an inauspicious transfer window to date for the Ibrox club.

McCoist has understandably stopped short of speaking about it publicly, but his hopes and plans of reclaiming the Scottish Premier League title have surely been blunted by fiscal reality.

As a batch of trialists have come and gone from Rangers' Murray Park training complex – in certain cases, after only one day – scepticism has been rife. McCoist was unable to offer a contract to a free agent from Estonia simply on the basis there was not a spare wage.

McCoist's hopes have seemed intrinsically linked to the future of one of his key players, Nikica Jelavic. While the striker's sale would unquestionably hinder Rangers on the pitch, a salary saving would allow McCoist at least some leeway.

A key question amid what is, surely, an unsatisfactory situation is whether McCoist is more culpable in this current scenario than the Rangers owner, Craig Whyte. Those who criticise the manager point out that three players – Matt McKay, Alejandro Bedoya and Juan Ortiz – were brought in during the last transfer window and have subsequently made little or no impact at all.

An extension of this scrutiny is that Rangers' first-team scouting operation, headed by their former players Neil Murray and John Brown, may not be up to standard. "We could sit here and give each other 20 players over the last two years who have come to the Old Firm and it hasn't worked out," McCoist explains. "We have got a fantastic scouting set-up. Neil and John are top class in my opinion.

"They have given me nothing but fantastic support and help and that'll continue. I know that people will question the signings that don't come into the team and do well. That's part of the business, that's fine, but I'm realistic [enough] to know that every signing is not going to be a success."

With good reason, McCoist points to the impact of the defensive players he also recruited around the start of the season. "We had to replace players in the team," he says. "Equally, we had to replace players in the squad. Simple as that. I think we brought in seven players. You wouldn't think I'd be signing seven players to go into my team.

"You maybe sign four that you hope to get into your team. We had to replace players who we had on loan last year and they weren't playing every week. So we have replaced them, you could argue, with players roughly in the same boat."

With a championship at stake, and Celtic moving to overturn a 15-point advantage Rangers held at one stage, the importance of a fraught situation off the field can be lost. Especially, that is, by supporters who crave success.

"The ones who sit back and take a look at the whole picture will definitely understand the economics of the situation," McCoist adds. "The club has been downsizing for a number of years now and still managed to win the title. The situation we are in now is certainly as difficult but I still believe we will win the title, absolutely."

El Hadji-Diouf was the most high‑profile arrival at Ibrox a year ago. Despite the controversial striker not featuring week on week for Rangers in those closing months of the season, McCoist recalls the significance of January transfer moves. "Absolutely massive. It might sound crazy because they didn't play an awful lot but I just think the influence they had was massive," the manager insists.

"I thought we did some great business there. I'm not saying we wouldn't have won the title but it really, really helped us."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jan/28/nikica-jelavic-rangers-ally-mccoist
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 29 Jan - 10:15

Ally McCoist plays down blow as ‘target’ Pawel Brozek opts for Celtic

RANGERS manager Ally McCoist last night tried to play down his disappointment after it was confirmed that Pawel Brozek, the Polish striker who had been among his signing targets, had opted to enter into contract negotiations with Celtic.

Speaking after his team’s 4-0 win against Hibernian at Ibrox, McCoist said: “I’d have to admit it’s a disappointment. All I would say is that I would use the word ‘target’ a little bit carefully. He’s a player we were looking at. I won’t lie to you, we were interested in him, but there were no specific bids. I have not had contact with the player or the agent. He’s absolutely within his rights to do what he thinks is best for himself.”

Trabzonspor, the Turkish club for whom Brozek currently plays, announced on their website yesterday morning that the 28-year-old would join Celtic on loan until the end of the season if an agreement could be reached. The statement read: “The negotiations which will be made in the aim of loaning our professional footballer Pawel Brozek to the Scottish club Celtic until the end of the current season are beginning.”

McCoist said that there had been no further developments with Nikica Jelavic’s proposed transfer to West Ham United, who had an offer turned down by Rangers last week. He also said that signing Jorge Claros, the Honduran midfielder who was on trial at Murray Park, was not a priority, for the moment at least.

“We are not just in a position to offer him a contract yet,” said McCoist. “We will sit down again probably tomorrow or Monday morning to discuss the situation. He has done very well. He played in a couple of games and he looks comfortable. I think we are slightly better covered in that position than we are in one or two [other] positions. That’s not to say I wouldn’t like him on board. But with [Lee] McCulloch, [Steven] Davis, [Maurice] Edu, boys like that, we are reasonably better off in that sort of area.”

Claros has returned to his Honduran club Motagua and their manager, Pepe Trevino, is unhappy at the player’s treatment. He said: “Jorge has a great future and will sign for a good club in Europe soon. Maybe it was not his time at Rangers – I don’t know why they didn’t sign him. Rangers took him for two weeks and now say they have money problems. They should have told him before that. He is a very good player and deserves to be treated better than this.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/european/ally_mccoist_plays_down_blow_as_target_pawel_brozek_opts_for_celtic_1_2084717
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 30 Jan - 0:50

Everton in frame to sign Nikica Jelavic as Pawel Brozek agrees Celtic loan

RANGERS suffered a double blow last night when Everton entered the frame as possible buyers for Nikica Jelavic, while Celtic confirmed the loan signing of Ibrox target Pawel Brozek from Turkish side Trabzonspor.

Ally McCoist is desperate to keep hold of Croatian striker Jelavic, with the transfer window closing tomorrow, but with West Ham having had a bid turned down last week and Everton now in the hunt, the player’s future is in the balance.

Jelavic has made no secret of his desire to play in the English Premier, and Everton have money to spend after the sale of Russian winger Diniyar Bilyaletdinov to Spartak Moscow for an undisclosed fee. Everton manager David Moyes was credited with an interest in the player before Jelavic joined Rangers from Rapid Vienna in 2010.

The 26-year-old Jelavic missed Saturday’s 4-0 win over Hibernian with McCoist insisting that the player was ill and not resting to avoid injury before he is sold.

Meanwhile, Celtic manager Neil Lennon confirmed the capture of Brozek for the rest of the season following the Parkhead side’s 3-1 win over Falkirk at Hampden which takes them into the final of the Scottish Communities League Cup, where they will face Kilmarnock.

Rangers had also expressed interest in the 28-year-old, without actually making an approach.

Celtic have won the race for the Pole’s signature on a temporary basis, with Brozek keen to catch the eye before this summer’s European Championship finals, which are being jointly held by his home country.

Lennon described the striker as being in the same mould as Maciej Zurawski, a former team-mate at Celtic. Zurawski arrived at Parkhead in 2005 and made an instant impact, scoring 20 times in his first season.

Lennon denied that the move, which involves no loan fee, had been motivated by a desire to get one over title rivals Rangers.

“We have been involved with players before where Rangers have nipped in,” he said. “I am not saying we have nipped in. We have been tracking him for quite a while. We try to keep things under the radar, as with all our business.

“I don’t get involved with agents and the negotiating side of things. We have a list as long as your arm. We are just ticking off, ticking off. This one has come to fruition. We are very pleased about that.

“He scored a lot of goals in Poland [with Wisla Krakow] and I can’t keep relying on Gary [Hooper] and Stokesy for the goals. If one of them gets injured or suspended we could be a goalscorer short. Pawel’s goalscoring record in Poland is excellent. He has gone to Trabzonspor and for whatever reason it has not worked out in terms of the amount of games he has played. It might be due to formation or whatever. But what we do know is that he is a goalscorer – right foot, left foot, he can head the ball as well. He is very, very sharp.

“The other thing is that he has the European champinships in front of him and he needs to play. He needs to stake a claim. He has come here very motivated and he needs to play and be successful.

“He is a bit like Hooper. He is sharp and has good feet, and is 5ft 10in. He is a bit like Zurawski was when he first came. He is a family man. I don’t think the bright lights of Glasgow will faze him too much.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/european/everton_in_frame_to_sign_nikica_jelavic_as_pawel_brozek_agrees_celtic_loan_1_2085652
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by marcellus wallace Mon 30 Jan - 6:04

ha ha ha ha funny as eff 10 million for jelavic pfffft now 3.5 ha ha ha.thanks sir david murray u have done a great job u should b proud Laugh

marcellus wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 30 Jan - 18:30

Rangers winger Juan Manuel Ortiz heads back to Almeria on loan

Rangers have come to a verbal agreement with Spanish Second Division club Almeria that will allow Juan Manuel Ortiz to return there on loan.

The midfielder joined Rangers from Almeria in July but has barely featured and has gone to his native Spain.

The Glasgow club said in a statement: "Rangers are awaiting the paperwork to come through from the Spanish side before the loan agreement is completed.

"A loan deal until the end of the season has been verbally agreed."

Rangers are expecting the deal to completed on Monday evening.

Ortiz spent four years with Almeria before signing a three-year contract with the Scottish champions after the Andalusian side's relegation from the Spanish top flight.

The 29-year-old began his senior career with Atletico Madrid and had loan spells with Osasuna and Poli Ejido before moving to Juegos Mediterraneos.

He has made 13 appearances this season, only seven of them in the starting XI.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16796708.stm
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 30 Jan - 18:33

Gers blasted over Claros bid

Motagua unimpressed by Gers' offer for midfielder

Rangers have had an 'absurd' offer turned down for midfielder Jorge Claros by Motagua, according to the Honduran club.

Claros recently spent two weeks on trial at the Glasgow side trying to secure a contract and impressed coaching staff.

But the Honduras international has returned to Central America empty-handed after Rangers' bid fell short of Motagua's valuation.

The club reportedly wanted £800,000 for the highly-rated 26-year-old but, according to president Pedro Atala, cash-strapped Gers offered much less.

Atala told the Daily Record: "The truth is that Rangers offered an absurd amount for Claros. We made it clear from the start what we believed was a fair price.

"He is a very good player and deserves to be treated better than this."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7465595/
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 30 Jan - 18:58

Rangers’ Matt McKay subject of bid from Australia

The midfielder could return to his homeland after a short spell at Ibrox.

Rangers midfielder Matt McKay is the subject of interest from former club Brisbane Roar and could be handed the chance to return to his homeland on loan.

STV understands that the Roar have made contact over the possibility of taking the player back for the remainder of their season but McKay may decide to remain at Ibrox to fight for a place in Rangers’ first team.

With the Australian transfer window open until February 14, any possible deal would not have to be completed before the Scottish deadline on Tuesday night.

The 29-year-old midfielder signed for Rangers in August from the Roar but has been unable to force his way into manager Ally McCoist’s plans, making only three appearances.

The player was captain of the Brisbane side as they won the A-League in the 2010-11 season and was named as Player of the Year.

McKay had rejected the chance to move to Saudi Arabia earlier this month after Rangers had accepted a loan bid from Al-Ittihad.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/295649-rangers-matt-mckay-subject-of-bid-from-australia/
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 30 Jan - 19:58

So all our big signings are going back to the clubs we signed them from on loan after hardly kicking a ball.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 30 Jan - 21:37

Boyd to join Portland Timbers

Former Rangers striker Kris Boyd has agreed to sign for Major League Soccer side the Portland Timbers.

Boyd, the Scottish Premier League's all-time leading scorer with 164 goals, will complete his move subject to a medical and work permit.

The 28-year-old international was a free agent having terminated a three-year contract with Turkish club Eskisehirspor last month.

Boyd told his new club's official website: "I'm delighted to be in Portland and hopefully I'll be over as soon as the visa matches up to be in time to be ready for the season."

Portland head coach, John Spencer - a former Rangers player himself - said: "Kris is a proven goalscorer at the highest levels of the game, and we expect that to continue here in Portland.

"We've been looking for this type of traditional number nine player and are very pleased we found him."

The club's owner and president Merritt Paulson added: "Kris perfectly fits the profile of the team's needs and will make a huge impact. I've said from the beginning that we are committed to winning and will make a significant investment on the player front if it is the right fit for the organisation."

After ten seasons in the SPL with Kilmarnock and Rangers, Boyd joined Middlesbrough for the 2010-11 season and also had a loan spell with Nottingham Forest, prior to his move to Eskisehirspor.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1015351/kris-boyd-to-sign-for-mls-side-portland-timbers?cc=5739
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 30 Jan - 21:48

Big Sam - Jelavic too pricey

Boss believes Hammers have dropped interest in Rangers striker

Sam Allardyce believes West Ham have dropped their interest in Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic after finding a potential transfer 'too expensive'.

Rangers chairman Craig Whyte and West Ham chairman David Sullivan had held casual talks over the striker as the Hammers seek reinforcements to boost their push for the Premier League.

But Hammers boss Allardyce says they have been priced out of the race for the Croatian frontman, who is also being linked to Everton.

The West Ham boss told Sky Sports News: "If I'm led to believe where it is at the moment, for us it was too expensive.

"Too expensive - full stop."

Asked if the club had dropped their interest in the striker, he replied: "Yes."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7466641/
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 30 Jan - 22:01

Not strictly a transfer rumour, but supposedly the Record is running a big story on Rangers tomorrow. Rumour on twitter is that it relates to Craig Whyte supposedly mortgaging off three seasons worth of season ticket sales against a loan.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 30 Jan - 22:58

Fee agreed with Everton for Jelavic on Sky Sports News.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 31 Jan - 0:15

Everton 'agree Jelavic fee'

Toffees understood to have struck deal with Rangers

Everton and Rangers have struck a deal for the transfer of striker Nikica Jelavic, according to Sky Sports sources.

The Croatian striker has been linked with a host of clubs this month following a series of impressive performances in the SPL during the first half of the season.

Ally McCoist has made it clear that he would prefer to keep Jelavic but the level of interest has been so great that it looks as though Gers may have been able to agree what they believe to be a good deal.

David Moyes dodged questions about his interest in the 26-year-old on Monday after it emerged that Everton had lodged a bid over the weekend.

It is now understood that the two clubs have reached an agreement over a fee, with the Toffees able to spend some money following the sale of Diniyar Bilyaletdinov to Spartak Moscow.

He has still not finalised personal terms or undergone a medical, but Everton will be hoping to push through a deal before the 11pm deadline on Tuesday.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7466986/
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 31 Jan - 17:46

Norwich reject Rangers bid for Grant Holt

Rangers have failed with a bid for Norwich striker Grant Holt.

Rangers have failed with a bid for Norwich striker Grant Holt.

The Ibrox club are seeking a replacement for leading goalscorer Nikica Jelavic, who has agreed a move to Everton.

Holt, 30, is the Canaries captain and has scored nine goals in 23 appearances for Paul Lambert's side this season.

The powerful Carlisle-born striker has been at Carrow Road since the summer of 2009 after a £400,000 switch from Shrewsbury Town.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16822287.stm
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 31 Jan - 17:56

Rangers line up three as Nikica Jelavic replacements

Ally McCoist has three targets as he looks to add to his squad before the close of the transfer window.

Rangers have identified three last-minute targets to replace Nikica Jelavic, as the January transfer window moves nearer to its close.

STV has learned Rapid Vienna striker Hamdi Sahili, St Johnstone's Francisco Sandaza and Falkirk's Kallum Higginbottom are all on Ally McCoist's list as he tries to make late offers to replace the Everton-bound player.

Sahili, who stands at 6ft 1in, is not at Rapid's warm weather training camp in Portugal. He is out of contract in the summer but is said to be available to sign for around £500,000.

The Albanian is not currently in Glasgow but is in place to make a last minute dash to the city, if Rangers choose to make their move.

Sandaza turned down a pre-contract offer from Ally McCoist’s side earlier in the window. Rangers are now considering a move to try and recruit the Spaniard immediately, with a potential offer being made to the Perth club.

The player has scored 15 goals in 21 appearances for the Saints this season, having joined on a free transfer from Brighton and Hove Albion.

Higginbottom meanwhile put in a star performance in Falkirk's 3-1 defeat to Celtic at the weekend and is currently in England holding talks with Huddersfield Town.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/295800-rangers-make-francisco-sandaza-bid/
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 31 Jan - 17:57

Eat your heart out Cry
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 31 Jan - 18:26

Whyte defends Jelavic sale

Rangers chairman says club had no choice but to sell striker

Chairman Craig Whyte has defended Rangers' record in the transfer market since he took control of the club in May 2011.

Whyte has come in for criticism for agreeing to let top goalscorer Nikica Jelavic join Everton, but he insists the move will be good business for the club.

Jelavic joined Rangers in August 2010 for £4million, and the deal taking him to Everton is reported to be around £5million.

The timing of the striker's departure could also cause problems for the Glasgow club, as manager Ally McCoist will have only a matter of hours to sign a replacement.

Whyte, though, insists that he had no choice but to accept the bid for Jelavic.

"One, the player wanted to leave and there is no point in trying to keep a player who no longer wants to be at Ibrox," he said in an open letter to supports on the clubs official website.

"Two, the club is simply not in a financial position to turn down offers for players which give the club a good return on its original investment."

Whyte, who pledged a £25million boost to the playing budget over five years before taking control, added: "In the summer transfer window last year we conducted 14 different pieces of transfer business, more than any other club in Scotland.

"This included new signings and improvement to existing contracts with key players, increasing the players' wage bill significantly. We now have a first team squad of 30 which includes 18 full internationals.
Far from ideal

"Admittedly, there were transfer targets we did not secure but that is not uncommon. As chairman, I have supported Ally McCoist in his choice of targets and will continue to do so.

"The timing of Jelavic's departure so late in this window is far from ideal and efforts to improve the squad will continue until the transfer window closes.

"That said, we must be realistic. Media coverage of the transfer window has bordered on the hysterical.

"As it stands at the moment Rangers has operating costs of approximately £45million a year and revenues of around £35million - not including revenue from possible Champions' League and Europa League participation.

"As we know, European money cannot be taken for granted and it doesn't take much to work out that without it there is a big financial hole to fill every year - regardless of who owns the club.

"I've said many times that in Scottish football we have to move on from this mind-set that you have to keep spending more and more money - that's what got this club into financial trouble before. We have to live within our means, continue to develop talent and spend wisely."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7468546/
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 31 Jan - 19:27

Pars sign McMillan from Gers

Dunfermline have signed full-back Jordan McMillan from Rangers and allowed defender John Potter to move on loan to Queen of the South.

The Pars, one point adrift of Hibernian at the foot of the Scottish Premier League table, have recruited McMillan on an 18-month deal which ends on May 31, 2013.

Announcing the move on their official website, Dunfermline said: "Full-back Jordan McMillan has signed for Dunfermline. He has been at Rangers since he was a youth and this season has made three appearances for the Ibrox club."

Meanwhile, Potter, who returned to East End Park last summer following a spell at St Mirren, has moved to Dumfries-based Queen of the South until May 22, 2012.

Potter's current Dunfermline contract expires at the end of the current campaign and it may be the 32-year-old has played his final game for the Pars.

http://www.football365.com/spl/7468696/Pars-sign-McMillan-from-Gers
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 31 Jan - 20:03

Hutton signs new Gers deal but joins Pars on loan

Rangers youngster Kyle Hutton has signed a new contract for Rangers but has also move to Dunfermline on loan for the rest of the season.

Hutton has signed an extension which will keep him with the club until June 2014, however he will join up with his team mate Jordan McMillan at East End Park for the rest of the season.

Read more: http://www.rangers.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=527614#ixzz1l4HmWHMj
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 31 Jan - 22:21

Everton bolster forward options with £6m deal for Nikica Jelavic

• Jelavic unveiled at half-time at Goodison Park on Tuesday
• Croatia forward scored 36 goals in 55 games for Rangers

Nikica Jelavic concluded David Moyes's long-running search for a new striker on Tuesday night when he joined Everton in a £6m deal from Glasgow Rangers. The Croatia international was paraded on the pitch at Goodison Park at half‑time during the game against Manchester City.

Everton were among the busiest clubs on transfer‑deadline day as they secured the 26-year-old Jelavic on a four‑and‑a‑half‑year contract having revised their original £5m offer to Rangers' chairman, Craig Whyte. They also made inquiries for their former midfielder Steven Pienaar at Tottenham Hotspur, the Fiorentina winger Alessio Cerci, AEK Athens' central defender Kostas Manolas and the Paris St‑Germain striker Guillaume Hoaraubut, having needed a new striker for the past few seasons, Jelavic's arrival ensured Moyes's priority for the transfer window was realised.

Jelavic has scored 17 goals for Rangers this season and a total of 36 goals in 55 appearances for the club since arriving from Rapid Vienna in 2010, when the Everton manager made a late attempt to sign the Croatian. He agreed personal terms with the Everton chairman, Bill Kenwright, on Monday night and passed a medical at the club's Finch Farm training complex on Tuesday.

Everton were able to sign Jelavic after selling Diniyar Bilyaletdinov to Spartak Moscow for £5m last week and had not paid more than £1m up front for a player since 2009. Moyes had previously signed Darron Gibson for £500,000 and Landon Donovan on loan in the window.

Prior to his move to Scotland, Jelavic had proved similarly effective in front of goal in the Austrian league, scoring 40 times from 93 games in three seasons at Rapid Vienna.

The transfer on Tuesday came too late for him to be considered for selection for the visit of Manchester City.

However, he will be in contention for his first appearance in an Everton shirt on Saturday when the Blues travel to Wigan Athletic in the Premier League.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jan/31/everton-nikica-jelavic-rangers
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 31 Jan - 22:25

Rangers boss fails to convince board to sanction signings

STV understands Ally McCoist could not persuade the club's hierarchy to part with the proceeds of Nikica Jelavic's transfer.

Ally McCoist failed to convince Rangers chairman Craig Whyte to release funds to sanction deadline day additions to his squad, STV understands.

A meeting was held between the pair at Ibrox on Tuesday evening, with McCoist arriving with a copy of the club's injury list to emphasise his need for fresh blood.

Striker Nikica Jelavic has been sold to Everton in a deal worth £5m plus add-ons, representing the loss of a player who has scored 17 goals for the club this season.

McCoist had identified Norwich City striker Grant Holt as a replacement for the Croatian, and had hoped to get a chunk from the sale of Jelavic to table a significant bid for the 30-year-old.

Rangers instead tabled a cut-price officer for the Englishman, which was instantly rebuffed.

McCoist had other possible targets - St Johnstone’s Francisco Sandaza, Rapid Vienna’s Hamdi Salihi and Falkirk’s Kallum Higginbottom.

But the club hierarchy decided not to make a last minute move for any of the trio, with McCoist leaving Ibrox ashen-faced following his unsuccessful meeting.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/295827-rangers-boss-fails-to-convince-board-to-sanction-signings/
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next