The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rangers News

+54
ncfc_Tooze
cherriesfna
barragan
McLaren
Soldier_Of_Fortune
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
JamesLincs
drsambo1928
Shifty
Geordie
Prettybhoyfloyd
Dave.
davidl1061
Gregers
Luke
sportform
GSC
CaledonianCraig
superflyweight
Kenny
DJ Legless
Adam D
Gordy
The Special Juan
RDuncan8
Hero
lorus59
cabbagesandbrussels
Enforcer
BigPhil
Ayrshirebhoy
Lee
Il Gialloblu
Dass
6oldenbhoy
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Doon the Water
RinoGattuso
marcellus wallace
Dr Gregory House MD
Mat
liegerwoods
Nay
JAS
Josiah Maiestas
Kay Fabe
super_realist
Celtic Warrior
User Name
monty junior
tarka
Crimey
TipToes88
The Galveston Giant
58 posters

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Rangers News - Page 5 Empty Rangers News

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 14 Aug 2011, 4:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Updates on Rangers Transfer news.

Last edited by The Galveston Giant on Fri 24 Feb 2012, 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Rangers News - Page 5 Empty Re: Rangers News

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:28 pm

Whyte is an idiot, he should have stated long before now he wouldn't be parting wth any cash, he said he was going to strenghten the squad when he took over, he's nearly recked it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 11 Feb 2012, 3:33 pm

Daniel Cousin rejoins Rangers and eyes Champions League

Daniel Cousin insists he is not too old to lead Rangers back into the Champions League after rejoining the Glasgow club until the end of the season.

The Gabon striker arrived in Scotland on Saturday morning after agreeing personal terms with the Ibrox outfit.

"I have great memories of playing in the Champions League," Cousin told BBC Scotland as he recalled his previous stint with the Scottish champions.

"I hope to do the same again - 35 is young and I am healthy."

Cousin, who scored and was sent off in his last appearance in a Rangers jersey in a 4-2 win over Celtic on 31 August 2008, was not registered in time to face Dunfermline Athletic in Saturday's early kick-off in the Scottish Premier League.

He spent just over a season at Ibrox after joining from Lens in 2007 but moved on to Hull City then Greek outfit Larissa before spending the last season in his homeland with Sapins.

Now Cousin is being brought in by Rangers manager Ally McCoist to boost their front line following the departure of Nikica Jelavic for Everton .

"I'm very happy to be back," he said at Glasgow Airport. "I love Scotland and Glasgow.

"I am happy to be back here and want to play well for Rangers."

Cousin had reminded McCoist of his abilities as the striker shone for his country last month and the Rangers manager hopes to finalise the deal early next week.

"We are still waiting on some paperwork coming through from the Gabon FA," said McCoist after Cousin watched Rangers defeat Dunfermline 4-1.

"I'm told it should hopefully be here at the beginning of the week, Monday or Tuesday. Daniel will come in and train on Monday.

"As yet, he hasn't signed, but we are very, very hopeful we can get that done.

"It goes without saying it's a department we definitely need strengthened in.

"I've watched his performances in the African Nations Cup as well and he is very keen to come."

Player agent Willie McKay told BBC Scotland's Sportsound programme that Championship clubs in England and others in Qatar and Dubai were also interest in Cousin, but the striker's preference was to rejoin Rangers.

"He can go elsewhere for three times the money, but he fancied having Rangers Football Club back on his CV in probably his last season in football," said McKay.

"The boy is happy to come back, but they have offered him 25% of what he was on in his last contract at Ibrox.

"They offered £7,500 then they came back and said 'we'll give you five grand a week'. It's only 10 weeks."

McKay sympathised with McCoist's situation at a club weighed down by debt and cost cutting and compared it to what was available under previous owner Sir David Murray when signing a French defender in 2004.

"Ally is doing his very best," said the agent. "I feel sorry for him.

"I phoned up Alex McLeish about Jean-Alain Boumsong.

"Five minutes later, I was on my way to an airport in Lyon, on a private jet into Edinburgh, picked up by Sandy Jardine, job done.

"That's the difference."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16967931
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 13 Feb 2012, 3:21 pm

**Breaking News**

Rangers have filed for administration. Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 14 Feb 2012, 10:17 pm

Question mark over Rangers' signing of Daniel Cousin

Daniel Cousin's future with Rangers remains unclear following the club's plunge into administration.

The Gabon striker arrived in Scotland this week intent on rejoining the club he played for nearly four years ago.

But the Scottish Premier League imposed a transfer embargo after also deducting Rangers 10 points.

And SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster says he will discuss Cousin's situation with the club as the 35-year-old striker has not yet been registered.

"We can confirm that an application has been received for the registration of Daniel Cousin," he told BBC Scotland.

"The player has not yet been registered with the SPL.

"We intend to discuss that application with the administrators of Rangers Football Club this week."

Rangers announced on Monday that a deal had been done for Cousin, subject to international clearance.

However, although that has now been received, the club has since gone into administration, carrying automatic restrictions on registering players with the SPL.

There appears to be uncertainty about whether Cousin has actually signed for the club, with sources close to the striker telling BBC Scotland that he would not be joining Rangers.

Administrator Duff and Phelps is likely to impose staff cuts, in any case, but the SPL appears to be continuing under the impression that Rangers are intent on signing the player who left for Hull City in August 2008.

Rangers manager Ally McCoist had been hoping to sign Cousin to replace top scorer Nikica Jelavic, who moved to Everton on the final day of the January transfer window.

Cousin, who joined Rangers from Lens in 2007, is a free agent after spending last season in his homeland with Sapins after a spell with Larissa in Greece but impressed for his country during the Africa Cup of Nations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17034037
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 14 Feb 2012, 10:25 pm

How you feeling about what's going on Galveston? It's not pretty at the moment, it must feel like everyone is lining up to take the next shot

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 14 Feb 2012, 10:32 pm

Yep it's pretty crazy mate, it's no big shock but it's still Poopie. They need to forget about winning things for a season or two, or however long it takes and get themselves sorted out. I've been harsh on Whyte for the way he's been in the transfer windows but he must have knew all this was coming so can't really blame him for anything. I still don't trust him at the moment though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 15 Feb 2012, 12:01 am

I'd say it's hard to place your trust in him, I feel the media have a lot to answer too as well though, far to many of them where and still seemingly are in David Murray's pocket and refused to really dig into the problems he was creating for himself over the last decade, no-one put him under any kind of pressure, Whyte's came in and from the very start rangerstaxcase claimed he was an asset stripper, it seems that's exactly what he is, while I believe the blame lies with Murray, Craig Whyte either knew or someone with his level of business sense and experiance should have known what he was getting himself into.

Inside the Old Firm as you know second is nothing but I think like you say it's more important to just consolidate now for a couple of years

I still don't know why they knocked back £1m for Whittaker and then gave him £20k per week, that money would have been better use being banked and give young Jordan McMillan an opportunity for a season, if it works then great, Rangers have a cheap home grown option, if it doesn't at least they'd given it a try

This mis-management on so many levels has been unbelievable

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 15 Feb 2012, 8:59 am

I agree mate, some of the decisions have been shocking. Knowing this was a severe possibility i have no idea why they sold Jordan McMillan. Also Jelavic should have been sold for seven and a half if they were going to sell him halfway through the season anyway, you just felt in this window the club was desperate to cash in on him but clubs knew it. Some of the recent signing's have been complete duds but they are stuck with them now.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 15 Feb 2012, 7:40 pm

Galveston....I don't want to rub salt into the wounds but you may have to re-consider your thread title.

Someone on the radio today suggested stripping Sir David of his Sirship.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 15 Feb 2012, 9:25 pm

They would be quite right as well he cheated the tax man! Ricky Hatton was stripped of his honour for snorting coke and what Murray has done is worse.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 17 Feb 2012, 9:10 am

I'm thinking of changing it to just Rangers news as there's a lot just now but i'm trying not to read too much news at the minute as it makes me cry. I'll suck it up soon. Cry
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 18 Feb 2012, 9:40 am

To cheer you up Galveston

Meethinks Killie are in for a real gubbin today.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 18 Feb 2012, 10:20 am

All my mates whoo are bluenoses are going today, first time in years for some of them, I think there will be a good atmosphere today but if Kilmarnock score first it could turn a bit nasty, there's a lot of frustration and anger and it's going to come to the fore at some point, be it today or another game

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 18 Feb 2012, 6:28 pm

Aye...what do I know aboot fitba.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 18 Feb 2012, 8:54 pm

Laugh I almost sound like I've got the hang of this fitba malarky

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Feb 2012, 12:35 pm

I suppose the transfer news now is how many will be leaving. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by RinoGattuso Sun 19 Feb 2012, 1:09 pm

'This is my club, the same as it is for thousands and thousands of Rangers supporters, and we don't do walking away.'
Ally McCoist.

RinoGattuso

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 19 Feb 2012, 2:02 pm

Lunchtime news said something about the Rangers fans singing inapropriate songs during yesterdays match.

How could they, are they really that dumb?
Do they not realise that SDM could not sell Rangers because of all thier nonsense.

You can almost see the 'notice of interest buyers ' for the new Rangers collectively folding thier cheque books.('steam')

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 19 Feb 2012, 2:04 pm

Nore Staat wrote:I suppose the transfer news now is how many will be leaving. Sad

There isn't many places anyone can go, anyone with a decent potential value will not get sacked although I think McGregor, Davis and Lafferty will be punted in the Summer, doubt anyone will take a chance on Naismith though until he gets 15-20 games under his belt

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 19 Feb 2012, 2:07 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Lunchtime news said something about the Rangers fans singing inapropriate songs during yesterdays match.

How could they, are they really that dumb?
Do they not realise that SDM could not sell Rangers because of all thier nonsense.

You can almost see the 'notice of interest buyers ' for the new Rangers collectively folding thier cheque books.('steam')

From what I heard from my mates who went was the fans are basically saying what can the SPL do to them niow? It's like a free reign

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 19 Feb 2012, 3:12 pm

If Rangers go into liquidation they can boot them down into League 3.
I know most fans will say that it will then trigger the departure of the TV money but, as you know, most clubs outside the OF only get pennies. Celtic would be hit financially but that would only bring them back to the same level as the other clubs.

Level playing field [or park]

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sun 19 Feb 2012, 3:31 pm

Celtic by themselves will be open to complacent also, when you have someone pushing you you push yourself harder to stay ahead. Without Rangers Celtic won't have that and it wouldn't surprise me that within a few years Celtic started to slip in standards letting the others catch up somewhat.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 24 Feb 2012, 6:45 pm

Who’s next to leave Ibrox?

WITH Matt McKay’s inauspicious Rangers career set to come to a close, he may be the first of many more to leave the club due to Rangers’ ongoing struggles with administration. The Scotsman ponders the prospects of other senior players who may be making their way out of Govan

STEVEN DAVIS

Widely known as one of the highest earners at the club, the Rangers captain’s high salary will be closely scrutinised by administrators as they weigh up the financial implications of a player who commands an estimated weekly wage of nearly £30,000. The matter is complicated by the fact that Davis is contracted to Rangers until 2016; an enforced departure could potentially prove as expensive as keeping him on the books. Should Davis leave, a move to the Premiership or a high-flying Championship side would be the Northern Ireland international’s most likely destination.

ALLAN MCGREGOR

McGregor’s situation mirrors that of captain Davis. The Scotland international is another player whose high wages would render him an immediate contender for redundancy. Moreover, like Davis, McGregor has been tied to a long-term deal, a six year contract penned only last year. Rumours of a move to the Premiership no doubt compelled Rangers to act; these rumours may yet resurface in light of current circumstances. Moreover, Rangers have a more than capable stand-in in Neil Alexander.

STEVEN WHITTAKER

Reportedly earning something in the region of £20,000 a week and under contract until 2016, Whittaker is another whose continued employment at the club will be scrutinised closely. It is likely that Rangers will do their utmost to present a case stating that keeping hold of star players like Whittaker will contribute to Rangers’ success, and therefore the return to health of their finances. Whether they convince the administrators and HMRC is another matter.

KYLE LAFFERTY

The jury is still out on whether Lafferty falls into the ‘star player’ category, though it is inarguable that, with the departure of Nikica Jelavic, he is now Rangers’ most established forward. The Northern Ireland international has a year left on his contract, and on that basis alone may find himsself touted to interested parties. That said, with Rangers already severely bereft of striking options, they may be particularly reluctant to let Lafferty leave.

LEE MCCULLOCH

McCulloch’s versatility has been a key asset for Rangers since his arrival from Wigan in 2007. At 33, McCulloch is unlikely to draw a transfer fee significant enough to warrant his departure, though with just over a year remaining on his contract, any deal to keep the former Motherwell striker beyond 2013 would likely mean a significant wage drop.

MAURICE EDU

Edu, one of a clutch of Rangers players entering the final year of their contracts, has enjoyed a largely productive, if ocassionally wayward, four year spell at Rangers. A £500,000 bid from Ligue 1 outfit Sochaux was knocked back by Rangers, but in light of the possibility of a return bid by the French side given Rangers’ current plight, any decision to sell may depend on Steven Davis’ position.

STEVEN NAISMITH

While Naismith’s versatility in attack has been a boon for the Ibrox side, his potted injury history may cast doubt on the wisdom of retaining his services on a contract that runs until 2015. When fit, he has proved himself to be a valuable asset for Rangers, and would command a not unreasonable transfer fee should Rangers decide to sell.

SONE ALUKO

It is easy to forget that, amid the controversy of his Rangers debut last November, Aluko paid a significant amount out of his own pocket to secure a transfer to Rangers. With this in mind, he may be minded to stick it out at Rangers on reduced terms, though that much may also depend on the pedigree of interest shown in him should he be made available for transfer.

LEE WALLACE

Should Wallace, a player for whom Rangers paid £1.5 million for (though they still owe Hearts £800,000), be told to leave, he would not be short of suitors - Aston Villa are reportedly keen on the full-back.

SASA PAPAC

One of the current squad’s longest serving players, Sasa Papac is highly regarded at Ibrox. However, the Bosnian’s future may be contingent on his willingness to accept a new deal on reduced wages.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/who_s_next_to_leave_ibrox_1_2132386
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 24 Feb 2012, 6:57 pm

Who was it that said that' there is nothing so impressive as a Scotsman on the make' ............Dr Johnstone?

Brilliant resurection of your thread Galveston.

Should Wallace be shipped out to Vanilla, would Hearts get thier £800k?

If not surely that gives Rangers a huge advantage worth a lot more than £800k. If he had signed a new contract with Hearts his value would be in the £3m region.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 24 Feb 2012, 7:04 pm

Cheers Doon, should be some interesting times ahead, i hope they don't let both Wallace and Papac leave, i'm not sure who i'd like to go.

Don't think it will be long until Vlad starts asking questions again. I think Whyte was hoping that debt would be scrapped.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 25 Feb 2012, 9:00 pm

I've never seen the big fuss in Lee Wallace, if Rangers got anywhere near £3m for him they should drive him to Villa Park

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 12:42 pm

This seems to be a bit worrying:

"Rangers have been fined £50,000 by the Plus stock exchange for failing to disclose owner Craig Whyte had been previously disqualified as a director.

The London-based exchange began an inquiry after a BBC Scotland investigation into Mr Whyte's history.

A programme broadcast in October revealed he had been banned from being a director for seven years.

In January the exchange suspended trading of Rangers shares because accounts were filed late."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17180059

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 12:50 pm

Okay this seems to be old news apart from the fine:
http://news.stv.tv/scotland/275588-rangers-owner-craig-whyte-was-banned-from-directing-a-company-for-seven-years/

STV News understands that Mr Whyte does not dispute that he was disqualified, but claims to have "a perfectly reasonable explanation."

The BBC programme made a series of other allegations which Mr Whyte does dispute.

Twenty minutes before the documentary was aired, a statement was issued on Mr Whyte's behalf.

It said: "Craig Whyte strenuously refutes these unfounded and defamatory allegations and has instructed his lawyers, Carter Ruck, to commence immediate legal proceedings against the BBC. Any repetition of these false accusations will also be met with legal action."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 12:53 pm

The BBC understands Mr Whyte was banned from acting as a director after the government began pursuing his company, Vital Holdings Ltd, for failing to produce satisfactory accounts.

The programme also uncovered evidence that HM Revenue and Customs was chasing some of Mr Whyte's companies for unpaid taxes.

The programme heard claims about Mr Whyte's involvement in a company called Re-tex Plastic Technology, during his ban.

Re-tex was wound up in 2003, after it offered to sell shares to the public using company statements which were said to contain false and misleading information.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-15377454

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:18 am

McKay relieved at Rangers exit

Gers boss fails to convince midfielder to stay in Glasgow

Australia international Matt McKay has revealed his relief after leaving crisis stricken Rangers for South Korean side Busan l'Park.

The 29-year-old has joined on a two-year contract as he looks to write a new chapter in his career and admits he would not have joined the Glasgow outfit had he known the extent of their financial woes.

"I wish I had done things in a different manner and done a bit more research [before going to Rangers], but it was an opportunity I had to take and I'll learn from it," he told The Courier Mail.

"I've really thought about this move. The Korean league should suit me."

Rangers manager, Ally McCoist, was determined to try and retain the services of the midfielder but McKay believed his time at the club had come to an end.

"I spoke to him (McCoist) a week before the club went into administration and he was keen to keep me," he added.

"He saw me as a player that will fit into the squad and told me that my chances would come, but I couldn't see that coming.

"I thought I didn't do that bad to not warrant ever playing again. I felt I could have done a job... I just wasn't given an opportunity.

"It's disappointing that it didn't work out that way but I'm man enough to move on. I'm not going to sit there, just collect my money and not play. That's not who I am."

McKay only managed three first-team appearances for Rangers since joining them from Brisbane Roar last summer.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7555576/
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 01 Mar 2012, 5:44 pm

Ticketus ready to talk to bidders as Rangers uncertainty continues

• Announcement on redundancies is likely on Friday
• Ticketus seeking a 'rapid and successful conclusion'

Rangers' administrators say no announcement will be made regarding job losses on Thursday, amid reports that a number of first-team players are at risk in the cost-cutting process.

The administrators, Duff and Phelps, said an announcement on possible redundancies will not be ready until Friday at the earliest, with "discussions ongoing regarding potential cost-saving measures".

Ticketus, meanwhile, has called for a "rapid and successful conclusion" to Rangers' administration process and says it is willing to hold talks with any potential new owners in a bid to help achieve that goal.

The firm paid £24m to secure the right to sell the club's future season tickets, with part of the cash used by the owner Craig Whyte to complete his takeover of the Scottish champions last May.

The club's administrators Duff and Phelps confirmed money from the deal was used by Whyte to pay the club's £18m debt to Lloyds Banking Group when he purchased Sir David Murray's majority shareholding.

The revelation came several days after Rangers were forced to call in the administrators on 14 February over an unpaid tax bill of £9m accrued during Whyte's tenure.

A Ticketus statement said it wants to ensure the ticket purchase agreement entered into with the club is honoured.

"Following a meeting yesterday with Rangers Football Club's administrators Duff and Phelps, Ticketus would like to state its desire for a rapid and successful conclusion to the club's administration process and confirm its willingness to enter into discussions with any serious potential bidders for the club.

"We met with the administrators yesterday to make it clear that we intend to be part of a solution for the club, and to ensure a fast and fair resolution is achieved for all parties. We outlined that this includes working with potential purchasers to help provide various financing solutions to the club that would be attractive to new owners.

"Ticketus believes that the best outcome for Rangers, its fans, Ticketus and our investors is for the administration process to be concluded as soon as possible, with a purchaser found who is able to bring stability to the club.

"Ticketus has an obligation to its investors to pursue all avenues to ensure that the ticket purchase agreement it entered into with the club is honoured, and we are committed to going to the lengths necessary to ensure that the future of the club is preserved and its agreement with Ticketus fulfilled.

"We believe that our investors' interests are aligned to those looking to safeguard the club's future.

"We have already been in contact with a number of other key stakeholders, including potential bidders and fans' representatives, and believe working collaboratively with all parties to create a solution for the club that puts it on a secure financial footing must be everyone's priority.

"Ticketus looks forward to continuing to work with the administrators and serious potential bidders to secure a positive outcome for the club."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/mar/01/ticketus-bidders-rangers-uncertainty-continues
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:11 pm

Galveston
If Rangers go into insolvency surely Ticketus will have lost thier £24mk.
Something seems very fishy about this deal.
Do you think it is a stitch up with Duff & Phluffs, Whyte and Ticketus?
If so they are walking a rocky road.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:58 pm

I'm not sure about Duff & Phelps Doon, it's still a bit murky, there could be more bombshells to come.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 02 Mar 2012, 6:42 pm

Whyte has used Duff & Phluffs before and he was very anxious to appoint them ahead of The Taxman.

All a bit beyond my ken. I do not understand why Whyte got involved and why he quickened the receivership.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:43 pm

Yeah i didn't like that myself Doon, seemed a bit fishy. Looks like we won't hear about job losses until next week now.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 03 Mar 2012, 9:32 am

Never mind...back to football.
What chance the Jambos today?
Do you think we are going to get the hiding that Killie missed?

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 03 Mar 2012, 12:53 pm

I think they could although Hearts have got a few players back. Suppose it depends how much the players can focus on the job, can't be easy but they are in the shop window so all still need to perform.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 03 Mar 2012, 5:56 pm

Galveston.

Well somebody will get a hiding soon or are they saving it up for Celtic.
Looking over you shoulders at Motherwell now.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:18 pm

Think we could be sitting third very soon.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:20 pm

Rangers administration: No place for Craig Whyte in club’s uncertain future

IN THE next 24 hours, Rangers administrators Duff & Phelps believe they will reach some form of “consensus” with the Ibrox playing staff on the job and wage cuts required to plug the £1m shortfall per month to allow the club to continue running for the final three months of the season.

And in the next few weeks, the administrators are optimistic they will have genuine expressions of interest from parties who want to buy Rangers, and create a future for the club in which they can see no place for current owner Craig Whyte.

These two developments could be presented as some sort of progress. Likewise, administrator Dave Whitehouse’s assertion yesterday that Rangers would avoid liquidation. Except he seemed to restrict himself to a narrow idea of the term’s meaning. To followers of the Ibrox club, liquidation amounts to the end of Rangers as constituted in 1872 and a new company formed to play out of the same stadium, with the same players but not the old history. Whitehouse wasn’t willing to give assurances on the avoidance of that.

“Let’s be clear here of definitions of liquidation,” he said. “If your view of liquidation is a process of cessation of the football club we are very hopeful and confident that will not happen. In terms of the way forward, we have never discounted the possibility [of a so-called ‘new-co’ Rangers replacing the current club].

“What we want to do throughout this process is minimise the effect it will have on the ability of the club to continue to operate in Europe. It is still very much our strategy to try to find a buyer for the business, which would be best achieved in terms of the ongoing financial position of the club if that [administration] could be exited through a CVA.”

Whitehouse as good as ruled out any possibility that the club will be able to meet the 31 March deadline for obtaining a licence to compete in Europe next year. Continental competition would be denied to a new-co Rangers for the first three years of their existence.

Whitehouse admitted he “didn’t know” if it would be possible for a CVA to be obtained – which requires 75 per cent of creditors to agree to accept a portion of the sums they are owed, which HMRC, as possibly major creditor, would be averse to doing – “because we don’t know what interested parties are going to come up with,” he said. “What we have done is set a deadline of 16 March for first indicative bids from interested parties and there is a level of momentum which has been created in terms of our discussions with those parties that leads us to think we will receive bids. HMRC would form a creditor of the company, so it will determine how big the creditor pot is. It could be that the creditor pot is, and I’m guessing here, £20m, or it could be £100m, but there will be a value for creditors that will then be distributed, pro-rata, to their claims. The size of the pot would frustrate the process.”

To boil it down, Whitehouse expects bidders despite there being no definitives about what liabilities these bidders could be committing themselves to cover. That is why, Whitehouse explained, the redundancies that will come on Monday along with wage cuts – eight players and a 35 per cent across the board salary reduction are believed to be likely – have to serve two functions. “We are looking to achieve cost savings of £1m a month to get through to the end of the season,” he said. “That’s to preserve the core business but, through any administration process, the ultimate objective is to secure the survival of the business. We have now got a significant level of interest in terms of potential purchasers.

“The vast majority have expressed a desire that they would wish to formulate their plans to make a bid for the business based on a materially reduced cost structure from that which currently exists, so that they can approach the business with a cleaner sheet of paper in terms of new investment.”

For that reason, the administrators had no interest in the offer of wage deferrals made by the Ibrox squad and explained: “It would have created a scenario where the purchaser would inherit a large deferred cost element and the existing intact cost base, so they’d have to invest over and above that.”

It has emerged that a number of players have offered to play for free. Four of these, Lee McCulloch, Sasa Papac, Kirk Broadfoot and David Healy, are among those expected to have their contracts terminated on Monday, and the gesture may not be practical with issues of insurance cover.

The non-investor Rangers attracted in Whyte should become a non-person in any future dealings. There had been reports, which the administrators would not confirm, that they were to ask him to consider relinquishing his 85 per cent shareholding for no return.

The administrators continue to investigate Whyte’s preferred creditor status and, although he holds a security over Ibrox Park and Murray Park, there is belief that, if his security doesn’t hold because he bought Rangers with the club’s own season ticket money through the Ticketus deal, then the administrators could take steps to release his security over stadium and training ground.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/rangers_administration_no_place_for_craig_whyte_in_club_s_uncertain_future_1_2152839
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:19 pm

Rangers have just released Gregg Wylde and Mervan Celik who were under contract at Rangers. What I don't understand is why they didn't sell them to the highest bidder? Both have taken voluntary redundancy with no pay off according to this BBC report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17221172

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:48 pm

I've never heard of Gregg Wylde before but his quote from Nore's BBC article...

"I volunteered to walk with no redundancy package today to help the other people in the club who have families, like the kitchen staff. I offered to walk away yesterday and the club told me today that they would accept that offer. At the moment I have nowhere to go and I don't have another club. I don't know what is going to happen next but I thought it was important to play my part in saving Rangers."

... makes very refreshing reading, coming from a 20 year old footballer.

Top man.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 06 Mar 2012, 2:15 pm

seems to me like Glasgow Rangers could become a new MK Dons "franchise". Revenue and customs should also take some blame for letting it spiral out of control.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 06 Mar 2012, 5:58 pm

Sad to see Wylde go, i really thought he was the type of guy Rangers were looking to to take the team forward, seeing Jordon McMillan sold off recently told me that wasn't going to be the plan, i hope they don't let any more of the younger players go.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Tue 06 Mar 2012, 6:00 pm

Quoted From BBC Website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17274241

1753:

Alasdair Lamont
"If deal, which is close, can be struck there are not expected to be any further player redundancies for now."

1752:

As far as we know, the "structured cuts" deal is still on the table - that's the one in which players would lose 75%, 50% or 25% of their wages depending on their pay bracket, with the highest paid players taking the biggest hit.

1750:

OK, a bit of an update... I hear that substantial progress has been made between players and administrators in the last hour working towards agreements on substantial wage cuts that could end the threat of immediate redundancies.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 06 Mar 2012, 6:21 pm

Hope so it would make sense, nobody goes and they can concentrate on playing football and let them get on with it behind the scenes, it's a lot of money some of them are dropping though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 06 Mar 2012, 7:57 pm

Wylde 'leaves Rangers to save jobs'

Gregg Wylde arrived at Rangers' Murray Park training ground earlier amid reports the midfielder has become the first player to leave the club as part of the administration process.

The 20-year-old, who has made 47 appearances for the club, is among five players who have reportedly agreed to leave the club without taking any redundancy package.

"I wanted to help out the club by keeping people in a job," Wylde told STV.

Kyle Bartley left Rangers' training ground this afternoon saying talks over the players' futures remained ongoing.

The on-loan Arsenal defender does not expect a final decision to be made on potential redundancies on Tuesday after further talks with the club's administrators.

On Monday Duff and Phelps revealed in a statement that it had not been possible to reach a consensus where players could accept the necessary level of wage cuts to prevent job losses within the squad.

The players asked the administrators to consider a final proposal overnight for discussion on Tuesday morning.

Bartley said on Tuesday: "Talks are still ongoing but I've just decided to go home and come back tomorrow and see what happens.

"No decisions have been made yet. We just have to wait and see."

Asked if he was expecting a final decision today, the centre half said: "I don't think so."

Bartley was then asked what the mood was like inside Murray Park and replied: "Not great."

Asked about the gesture made by his Wylde, Bartley told media waiting outside the Milngavie complex: "It's fantastic."

The defender then told Sky Sports News: "All the players who will be taking wage cuts or leaving will be saving people's jobs.

"I don't think anyone who is still at the club wants to leave but it is a situation where some may have to leave to benefit the club.

"My parent club is Arsenal. It was said I'd go back if there were cuts but nothing has been decided yet. I am still a Rangers player for this season as it stands.

"It is a shame that such a big club has come to such a crisis. It is a very sad time for Rangers."

Rangers' financial timeline:

2010: November 18 - Scottish tycoon Craig Whyte confirms to the Stock Exchange he is considering making an offer and is in talks with MIH regarding a proposed takeover.

2011: April 1 - Rangers announce an £11.9million profit for the last six months of 2010 but £2.8million is wiped off for a one-off tax payment over an issue relating to 1999-2003. Alistair Johnston admits the other ongoing tax probe could leave Rangers with a bill they cannot afford to pay.

May 6 - Whyte announces his acquisition of Murray International Holdings' 85.3% shareholding in Rangers for £1 after the Takeover Panel ratify the protracted deal.

May 6 - Hours after the takeover a statement released by the Independent Board Committee, led by former chairman Alistair Johnston, revealed their continued scepticism over Whyte's ability to fund his pledges, including a promise to invest £25million in the playing squad over five years.

May 9 - Whyte claimed he was "very confident" Rangers would win their HM Revenue and Customs tax case regarding an issue which relates to offshore payments to players from 2001.

May 24 - Johnston and Paul Murray are removed from their roles as directors. Chief executive Martin Bain and director Donald McIntyre are suspended.

June 20 - Bain instructs his lawyers to open legal proceedings against Rangers. Four days later, Bain resigns.

September 13 - Bain succeeds in having £480,000 of the club's assets frozen while pursuing a legal case. During the hearing at the Court of Session in Edinburgh Judge Lord Hodge warned there was a "real and substantial risk of insolvency" if the club were to lose its battle with the taxman.

October 10 - McIntyre resigns as finance director but remains as an employee of the club. Just over a week later, he has £300,000 of Rangers' cash frozen pending a court case.

October 21 - Whyte warned of "significant" cuts at the club and admitted they faced a "crisis situation" over their two ongoing tax disputes.

November 30 - Rangers' annual financial figures show net debt has been halved to around £14million. The club also confirm Whyte had previously been disqualified as a company directory for seven years from 2000.

December 9 - Rangers agree an undisclosed out-of-court settlement with McIntyre.

2012: January 9 - Rangers had their shares suspended from trading on the stock exchange after submitting unaudited accounts.

January 18 - A three-day tax tribunal closes in Edinburgh.

January 31 - Rangers sell top goalscorer Nikica Jelavic to Everton but fail to replace him before the transfer window closes. Whyte admits using three years' worth of future season ticket sales to secure funds but denies using the money to fund his takeover.

February 5 - Whyte warns the club could face "the toughest few weeks" in it's history as he awaited the verdict into their tax tribunal.

February 13 - Rangers lodge their intention to go into administration at the Court of Session in Edinburgh. Whyte says the club's final tax bill could amount to £75million.

February 14 - Rangers appoint administrators Duff and Phelps in the Court of Session in Edinburgh. The Scottish Premier League confirm the club have been deducted 10 points, leaving them 14 points behind leaders Celtic.

February 21 - Administrators confirm that money from the Ticketus deal was used by Whyte to complete his takeover of the club. The firm paid £24million to secure the right to sell future season tickets.

February 23 - Rangers director of football Gordon Smith and chief operating officer Ali Russell agree to leave the club.

February 27 - Rangers were fined £50,000 by the PLUS Stock Exchange for failing to disclose owner Whyte was previously disqualified as a director.

March 6 - Reports claim Gregg Wylde is amongst five players who agreed to leave the club without taking any redundancy package.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/scottishpremierleague/story/gregg-wylde-leaves-rangers-to-save-jobs-report-030612
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:11 pm

Wylde & Celik leave Rangers after players reject wage-cut proposal

The youngsters volunteered to depart Ibrox without redundancy pay, in an effort to help administrators hit a monthly savings target of £1 million to solve the financial turmoil

Gregg Wylde and Mervan Celik have become the first players to leave Rangers as the club attempt to resolve their current financial crisis.

The midfielders, 20 and 21 years old respectively, had offers accepted to depart the Glasgow club without redundancy pay after initial talks over player wage cuts collapsed.

Administrators Duff & Phelps put forward a pay-restructuring plan to the squad in an effort to save £1 million a month as the club attempt to find a way of paying off debts which could reach £75m.

It is believed that the number of redundancies could reach 11 before the crisis is resolved.

Speaking to BBC Scotland, Wylde explained: "I volunteered to walk with no redundancy package today to help the other people in the club who have families, like the kitchen staff.

"I offered to walk away yesterday and the club told me today that they would accept that offer. At the moment I have nowhere to go and I don't have another club.

"I don't know what is going to happen next but I thought it was important to play my part in saving Rangers."

The news follows the squad’s decision to reject a pay restructuring programme which would have seen the highest earners take a 75 per cent wage cut, middle-earners a 50% cut and a 25% drop in the salary for lower earners.

Duff & Phelps set Monday as a deadline for a decision, but this was put off after the squad requested more time to consider yet another proposal.

Paul Clark, joint administrator, said in a statement issued on Monday: "Everyone involved in the administration process has been attempting to reach a consensual solution in regard to job losses within the playing squad.

"The prime reason for this has been to achieve essential cost savings while preserving the fabric of the first team.

"This has not been an easy balance to strike and we would like to thank the manager Ally McCoist, his players and the PFA Scotland for attempting to find a solution that would be workable for all. Every realistic option is being explored.

"Regrettably, it has not been possible thus far to reach a consensus where players could accept the necessary level of wage cuts to prevent job losses within the squad.

"We do not for a moment criticise the players for this as the wage reductions that would be required are very substantial and would have a significant impact on each individual.

"For clarity, we cannot enforce wage cuts. The players have to agree to this course of action.

The players have asked us to consider a final proposal overnight for discussion in the morning and we have agreed to this request."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2932/spl/2012/03/06/2949920/wylde-celik-leave-rangers-after-players-reject-wage-cut
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:19 pm

Rangers Hopes Grow Over Job Losses

Hopes are rising a deal can be struck between Rangers players and administrators

Hopes were rising on Tuesday evening that a deal could be struck between Rangers players and administrators to avoid significant job losses at the club.

Talks continued throughout the day at Murray Park after both parties reconvened to discuss proposals from the players over helping the club make savings without job losses.

However, some players are expected to depart whatever the final outcome as Swedish midfielder Mervan Celik is believed to have agreed to leave.

Scotland Under-21 international Gregg Wylde has also offered to leave the club.

Departures could be kept to a minimum though as both parties are understood to be close to an agreement.

Wylde arrived at Rangers' Murray Park training ground in mid-afternoon after it emerged that he had offered to leave.

The 20-year-old, who has made 47 appearances for the club, told STV: "I wanted to help out the club by keeping people in a job.

"I was so tired I couldn't really sleep at night. It was getting to me so I thought I would leave."

Celik only arrived at the club in January under freedom of contract from Swedish side GAIS, although they were due a transfer fee. The midfielder has struggled to make an impression.

Players had failed to come to a consensual agreement with administrators on Monday, a day the Duff and Phelps financial team had previously set as a deadline before they took matters out of the squad's hands.

But the administrators said they would consider a fresh proposal from players overnight and negotiations have continued.

Top earners at the club are believed to be considering wage cuts of 75% for a period of time, with cuts of 25-50% for those lower down the wage structure.

Goalkeeper Allan McGregor is among the highest paid players, having signed a six-year deal last summer, and he has denied, through his solicitor, that he had refused to take a cut.

In a statement released to Press Association Sport, Margaret Gribbon of Bridge Litigation said: "Contrary to some media reports Allan has not refused to accept a salary reduction.

"These allegations are false and Allan has instructed me to make clear if these allegations are reported as fact he will have no option but to resort to legal action.

"Allan along with many of his fellow players is committed to making personal salary sacrifices to ensure the club survives.

"Allan has and will continue to extend his full co-operation with the administrators at this very difficult and challenging time for the club."

Agreement looked unlikely in mid-afternoon when on-loan Arsenal player Kyle Bartley left Murray Park.

Bartley said before driving off: "Talks are still ongoing but I've just decided to go home and come back tomorrow and see what happens.

"No decisions have been made yet. We just have to wait and see."

Asked if he was expecting a final decision on Tuesday, the centre half said: "I don't think so."

He added: "All the players who will be taking wage cuts or leaving will be saving people's jobs.

"I don't think anyone who is still at the club wants to leave but it is a situation where some may have to leave to benefit the club.

"My parent club is Arsenal. It was said I'd go back if there were cuts but nothing has been decided yet. I am still a Rangers player for this season as it stands.

"It is a shame that such a big club has come to such a crisis. It is a very sad time for Rangers."

Bartley later returned to the training complex and team-mates Kyle Lafferty and Sasa Papac left.

There was also evidence of players' agents arriving, with Steven Naismith's representative, Peter McLean, driving into Murray Park.

A number of players left after 5.30pm but talks continued inside.

Captain Steven Davis left Murray Park in late afternoon but he returned to the complex about 7.20pm.

http://www.football365.com/transfer-centre/7574589/GERS-HOPES-GROW-OVER-JOB-LOSSES
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:10 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:Wylde 'leaves Rangers to save jobs'

Rangers' financial timeline:

2010: November 18 - Scottish tycoon Craig Whyte confirms to the Stock Exchange he is considering making an offer and is in talks with MIH regarding a proposed takeover.

March 6 - Reports claim Gregg Wylde is amongst five players who agreed to leave the club without taking any redundancy package.

Thanks for the summary. It's really not clear why Craig Whyte took over Rangers and what was going on with the previous owners. Maybe Whyte was hoping to make a fast buck and then realised belatedly he was given a poisoned chalice (???).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next