The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

College Football

+28
Lowlandbrit
GSC
Dave.
mikeygnfl
Good Golly I'm Olly
GunsGerms
drsambo1928
XR
Thomond
twelve283
weaselcheese
calamity jane
Karld
CFCNick
BamBam
thunder and lightning
RDuncan8
WhiteCamry
Derbyblue
adams_legend
Gaelic-Warrior
wadey101
Leedscowboys
GB1919
Grizzly
crazy_dave23
Pr4wn
Colan (niner)
32 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

College Football Empty College Football

Post by Colan (niner) Tue 23 Aug 2011, 7:54 pm

Any of you guys looking foward to the start of the season next week, if you like college football, what teams do you like, I myself follow the wolverines and huskers. But only the huskers have an oppportunity for the big one this year. Cant wait for lsu v oregon on the 3rd at cowboys stadium.

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

College Football Empty Re: College Football

Post by Pr4wn Tue 23 Aug 2011, 8:02 pm

It's gonna be my first season watching it this year so I'm yet to decide!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:12 pm

2nd year of watching...

I took up Georgia as my team as their badge is the same as the Packers (good enough reason I thought), plus there games tend to be on a decent times as they are east coast and SEC.

Also like Boise State because the first college game I saw (all be it quite delayed) was the Fiesta Bowl game against Oklahoma where they scored on a Lateral to take it into OT and then again on a Statue of Liberty play to win the game with a 2pt conversion. Also Blue turf has to be a good thing!

Otherwise I decided I liked watching Oregon and Oklahoma State, but I think it's just because they were entertaining last year and I find it easier (quicker) to appreciate the offensive side of a team as opposed to the defensive.

The Bowl Series rankings are entertaining in their uselessness, plus you get some great atmospheres and it makes you wonder how cool it would be to have had a 100,000 seater stadium at my university to watch our teams!

Going to buy the NCAA 12 game I think to help get me more integrated this season.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:38 pm

prawn, it'll be pretty easy for you to find a team, lots of exciting ones. I only started to watch college football properly last year, before that I saw the odd game the year before. I like michigan as when i first witnessed the big house live i knew i had to follow this team. I like nebraska also as i just think they are a fast old fashioned tough team. Same as you dave with regards to oregon, they were crazy good last year, I love 'kash' cliff harris, hope the niners or titans draft him. I also enjoy watching cal and south carolina. Cal produced desean jackson so thats a good enough reason for me and the gamecocks have lattimore, jefferey and taylor who i find great to watch. I also sort of like virginia tech as they have jayron hosely and they always produce secondary talent for the nfl and cornerback is a top position for me. Dont know why but straight away decided to always root against notre dame and auburn regardless of who they play.

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 9:43 pm

Haha, I also decided I hated Notre Dame straight away... at least for you that is logical given that you picked Michigan... I just thought of them as this high and mighty team who had decided to be independent because they were better than being tied to a league schedule... I also disliked Jimmy Clausen's face in last years draft.

Other teams I have picked to dislike are USC (all there QB's whilst being good just appear to be "playboys" - Leinart, Sanchez...), Alabama, Michigan (sorry Niner!), Ohio State...

Should also appreciate Cal for giving me Aaron Rodgers!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:08 pm

yeah cal produce talent big time, jackson, rodgers, mack, tony gonzalez, asomugha. I really dislike ohio state too for the obvious reason but you have to give a bit of respect to michigan for giving you woodson although i know he was picked up later. Michigan dont look too great now but they have produced lots of good players over the years i noticed recently when i looked it up. I can't wait to see denard robinson in a pro style offense this year. You must be gutted a.j green is gone but aaron murray looks pretty good and you have another big receiver who got injured i think but he really looked good, his name has slipped me though.

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:21 pm

Niner - I'm planning on getting into it but have no idea who to support so maybe you can choose for me ?
Give me a decent passing offence please.

I did meet a college fan on holiday who said the Wolves (Arkansas ?) would be good this year, they have a freshman QB who comes in with the best stats ever from high school apparently

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:32 pm

OK how about this? I'll choose Grizzly's team's main rival Cool

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:41 pm

Well the Wolves are Michigan Wolverines and Arkansas are the Razorbacks (Mallet's old team)...
Can't comment on the freshman QB your referring to. Michigan have Denard Robinson who is a Mike Vick type and Arkansas have Tyler Wilson who is not a freshman!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:44 pm

if your going for a passing team then the obvious team for me would be stanford, you will see luck for at least one year, they have good receivers like chris owusu and a half decent running game. Boise state have kellen moore who throws td'd like they are the easiest thing in the world and doug martin provides a great compliment in the backfield. The sooners have landry jones who will be a top ten qb in the next draft and he has plenty of weapons so if you are going for a team with a great qb, they are that and they also are the big favourites for winning the biggest prize. Even oklahoma state has a good qb and imo the 2nd best reciever in the whole of college football. All the teams i mentioned have a chance and will be on t.v a lot as well. Cant forget oregon as well, thomas isnt a prtotype qb but his stats are good and they will have you on the edge of you seat the entire time. Dont really want to pick a team for you as the minute you see 'the' team you will know who to follow. Maybe look out for these teams and pick one or two. Unfortunately some good qb's went in the draft so there is lots of unknowns at auburn, missouri, florida state( although you may want to see them as everyone is raving about e.j manuel). All these teams have great weapons, moore lost some in the draft but all these teams will be in great shape on offense guranteed i think. Or just do what everone should do and follow michigan or nebraska Cool

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Tue 23 Aug 2011, 10:54 pm

prawn, you could go for oklahoma state if grizzly goes for sooners or vice versa, that rivalry would give you something to talk a bout a lot plus its not a one sided rivalry.

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 11:05 pm

Like a few others have said, I've not watched College football before but intend to get into it this year. I've gone for the Michigan Wolverines as I heard their new head coach, Brady Hoke, interviewed on a Rich Eisen podcast which seemed like reason enough. Also he talked about them playing a pro-style offence which appeals.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed 24 Aug 2011, 9:35 am

well done gb, wonderful selection of a team, welcome to the club m8. You won't have seen a pro offense with someone like denard robinson before.

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed 24 Aug 2011, 10:00 am

Niner

Seems I got myself very confused - I'll take the Razorbacks.
This is the guy I was told about - certain to be NFL standard QB apparently:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30724&SPID=2419&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=205184049&Q_SEASON=2011

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Wed 24 Aug 2011, 10:07 am

Pr4wn wrote:It's gonna be my first season watching it this year so I'm yet to decide!

OK Ill find you a team to support just answer the following questions to determine which team to follow

1. North, South, West or East
2. Mountain, Coast, City or State
3. Animal or Non Animal
4. Traditionalist, Upstart or Independent
5. Pick a colour, Red, White, Blue, Green,Orange, or Gold.
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by wadey101 Wed 24 Aug 2011, 10:10 am

I decided to support the Wolverines as I have been to Ann Arbor (where they play) but I've found that they seem to be the most popular supported team over here. And I don't really fancy supporting a popular team so think I'm going to change to Wisconsin Badgers as I've also been to Madison.

Can anyone tell me if they're any good? Are they more of an offensive or defensive team? Passing or running offense?

wadey101

Back to top Go down

Post by wadey101 Wed 24 Aug 2011, 10:13 am

Grizzly wrote:Niner

Seems I got myself very confused - I'll take the Razorbacks.
This is the guy I was told about - certain to be NFL standard QB apparently:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30724&SPID=2419&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=205184049&Q_SEASON=2011

That leaves Mississippi, LSU or Texas as their main rivals for you Pr4wn

wadey101

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Wed 24 Aug 2011, 10:16 am

The Badgers are a very good team they just lost out in the Rosebowl last year, they just signed a top rated QB from NC State but are famed for their running game they are a well balanced side.
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by wadey101 Wed 24 Aug 2011, 10:23 am

Cheers mate, any idea how good these teams are as I have hoodies for each of them so will be kinda supporting these as well:

Purdue Boilermakers
Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Colorado Buffaloes

wadey101

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Wed 24 Aug 2011, 10:32 am

Boilermakers are the bigger of the 3 and play in the Big 10, Rod Wilson former Steelers, Ravens & Raiders DB is a former Alumni, they have a good mix of NFL players where Drew Brees is probably the biggest name.

Wake Forest are a smaller team but play in the ACC

Colarado are a medium size team but play in the PAC
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 24 Aug 2011, 10:59 am

Well the Sooners sound quite appealing as that's where Gerald McCoy cam from, and I bloomin love that guy.

I guess out of the other three it would have to be the Tigers. Not sure why though.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:02 am

Dude answer my quiz and I can find you a team, no point in being given 3 teams and asked to chose the quiz will give you an idea of what you are looking for

for the record I am a Sooner Boomer but came to be a fan via an usual method
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:06 am

Ok:

1. South
2. Coast
3. Not fussed really.
4. Traditionalist
5. Red, I guess. But again, not really bothered.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:27 am

I've watched a wee bit of the NCAA football over the past two seasons, great atmosphere and the games I've seen are great. Although I still can't decide which team to seriously follow, I've narrowed down to syracuse, ND or Michigan as I've seen them most but still can't decide which one.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:29 am

You are going to like this being a Bucs fan an all, your College team is..........

Florida State Seminoles, they play in the ACC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State_Seminoles_football
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:31 am

Gaelic-Warrior wrote:I've watched a wee bit of the NCAA football over the past two seasons, great atmosphere and the games I've seen are great. Although I still can't decide which team to seriously follow, I've narrowed down to syracuse, ND or Michigan as I've seen them most but still can't decide which one.

Why not take my quiz ?

1. North, South, West, East or Central
3. Animal or Non Animal
4. Traditionalist, Independent
5. Pick a colour, Red, White, Blue, Yellow, Green,Orange, or Gold.

Last edited by Leedscowboys on Wed 24 Aug 2011, 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by adams_legend Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:48 am

1. West
2. State
3. Animal
4. Traditionalist
5. Red

What you got for me Leeds?

adams_legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:50 am

Leedscowboys wrote:You are going to like this being a Bucs fan an all, your College team is..........

Florida State Seminoles, they play in the ACC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State_Seminoles_football

Reitred Jersey for Derrick Brooks? I'm now a life-long fan!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:50 am

you should take michigan as your team warrior, we could talk about their games on this. grizzly, Hadn't heard of arkansas replacement for mallett but he looks to have all the measurables so good decision m8. leeds has piceked a decent team for you prawn, Florida state are tipped to do well and although i don't reall know anything about e.j manuel he is getting some amount of hype for a new starter. Sooners may also be good for you as they are always in the mix and always have solid players across the team who make it in the nfl. Geald Mccoy will have a bigger year this season i think, and yeah thats a good reason to like them as i think thats how I've came across some teams i like who arent my favourites but i still enjoy watching them due to players they produced for my nfl teams

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:55 am

adams_legend wrote:1. West
2. State
3. Animal
4. Traditionalist
5. Red

................................................. Washington State Cougars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_State_Cougars_football
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:05 pm

Leedscowboys wrote:Why not take my quiz ?

3. Animal or Non Animal
1. North or East
2. Mountain
3. Animal
4. Not too bothered, if necessary I'd say Traditionalist
5. Green

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Wed 24 Aug 2011, 12:19 pm

Derbyblue wrote:
Leedscowboys wrote:Why not take my quiz ?

3. Animal or Non Animal
1. North or East
2. Mountain
3. Animal
4. Not too bothered, if necessary I'd say Traditionalist
5. Green

Marshall Thundering Herd http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Thundering_Herd_football

I would also recommend the following film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758794/

A true story based on the events of the early 1970's the College lost most of the Football teams plus coaches, wives etc and how they came back very moving if you like films like Remember the Titans, one of the best football films there is
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by adams_legend Wed 24 Aug 2011, 1:23 pm

Leedscowboys wrote:
adams_legend wrote:1. West
2. State
3. Animal
4. Traditionalist
5. Red

................................................. Washington State Cougars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_State_Cougars_football

Cheers Leeds OK

I will be going out and getting their logo tattoed on my arm over the weekend heart

adams_legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Wed 24 Aug 2011, 1:46 pm

Leedscowboys wrote:
Gaelic-Warrior wrote:I've watched a wee bit of the NCAA football over the past two seasons, great atmosphere and the games I've seen are great. Although I still can't decide which team to seriously follow, I've narrowed down to syracuse, ND or Michigan as I've seen them most but still can't decide which one.

Why not take my quiz ?

3. Animal or Non Animal

1- East (was thinking of Northeast/ New York state area, something local to NYG)
2- City/ State
3- Either
4- Trad
5- Blue, red or Green
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Wed 24 Aug 2011, 1:58 pm

Rutgers based in NJ they first ever game of American Football was played here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutgers_Scarlet_Knights_football

Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Wed 24 Aug 2011, 2:14 pm

Leedscowboys wrote:Rutgers based in NJ they first ever game of American Football was played here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutgers_Scarlet_Knights_football

I love history-
"The Rutgers football program is one of the most historic in the nation. In 1869, the original Rutgers football team defeated Princeton University in the first intercollegiate game ever played.[1] Rutgers won the game by a score of 6 to 4."

Just the kind of thing I was looking for.
Thanks Leeds OK

Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed 24 Aug 2011, 2:20 pm

rutgers produced anthony davis and kenny britt for my two favourite teams in recent years, good team to follow

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 24 Aug 2011, 2:20 pm

What would you lads think to having a seperate NCAA sub-section?

You think it would be more organised? Or do you think it would split the forum?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Wed 24 Aug 2011, 2:28 pm

just make it a sticky to start with
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Wed 24 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

That sounds like not a bad idea Pr4wn. In the rugby board they've got a wee seperate bit for club action. We could do that so we don't have any NCAA stuff mixed in with the the NFL threads. I don't think it'll split the forum as people on here seem to post more about the NFL anyway.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by adams_legend Wed 24 Aug 2011, 2:51 pm

I vote for keeping i how it is otherwise we will have to be jumping between the different sections to see if there is any updates, i can't really see there being loads of threads for NCAA

adams_legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed 24 Aug 2011, 2:58 pm

Just to get into the spirit of things, thought i should post some highlight videos of exciting players to look out for due to a number of you just getting into it. These are some of my favourite players to watch.

Cliff Harris (wow) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADYBYI87ykU
Jayron Hosely https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brs3JmyPhFE
Geno Smith https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNsvPiZAWZE
Denard Robinson(aka the greatest) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmmCAI8U_Vc

rex burkhead(will have big year) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKD0v5Pra74

Andre Ellingtonhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQlGefEDrf8
Janzen Jackson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ztoPl3WByM
Alshon Jeffery https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wetLkX7wIGs
Taylor Martinez https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVgxl9TchPM
Vontaze Burfict (scary guy) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvcsffTQojI

cannot forget justin blackmon and andrew luck but they are quite obvious.

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 24 Aug 2011, 3:54 pm

Gotta say, Robinson looks like a good runner but all his highlight throws were into blown coverage.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:57 pm

Leeds (and probably others) are clearly college fans, as far as I'm concerned feel free to put up as many threads as you like.
As an NFL fan I should have better knowledge of the college game given that I follow the Heisman and draft, so anything you guys can put up will help increase knowledge - I'll make a point of sneaking in some games on ESPN inbetween the rows with the wife.
Am I now officially a Razorback fan ?
Who's the team with a blue field ?

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Wed 24 Aug 2011, 7:07 pm

That'd be these guys Grizz. Meet the Boise State Broncos-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise_State_Broncos_football

Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed 24 Aug 2011, 7:41 pm

Cheers Gaelic - I remember watching a game of theirs a couple of years ago thinking that's a freaky field !

Just wiki'd the Razorbacks, LSU Tigers biggest rivals.
Who decided the follow the Tigers ?

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Wed 24 Aug 2011, 7:43 pm

From the flow of the post "they" tried to make Pr4wn support the LSU Tigers, but he then got over excited by the fact that Florida State retired Derrick Brooks' jersey

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Wed 24 Aug 2011, 7:56 pm

Grizzly wrote:Cheers Gaelic - I remember watching a game of theirs a couple of years ago thinking that's a freaky field !

Aye that is a pretty awesome field, got a fright when I saw it for the first time when flicking through the TV channels, thought there was something wrong with the telly. I think they've actually been barred from wearing an all-blue uniform at home in case they get an unfair advantage.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed 24 Aug 2011, 8:03 pm

this is something I came across a few weeks ago on sportscenter and i think its on a par with the blue field almost

http://losthatsportsblog.com/2011/06/pics-of-central-arkansas-new-football-field/

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Wed 24 Aug 2011, 8:04 pm

Just decided after some research that vontaze burfict is the most frightening guy i have ever seen in my life, he assaults other players

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next