The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather Vs. Ortiz - If You Were Ortiz's Trainer What Would The Game Plan be?

+5
horizontalhero
Fists of Fury
zx1234
TRUSSMAN66
AlexHuckerby
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mayweather Vs. Ortiz - If You Were Ortiz's Trainer What Would The Game Plan be?  - Page 2 Empty Mayweather Vs. Ortiz - If You Were Ortiz's Trainer What Would The Game Plan be?

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

Aside from bringing a shotgun to the ring how do people see Ortiz possibly beating PBF? What tactics would you give Ortiz? No doubt Ortiz is up against it here, though I feel too many people are writing him off and I think he has a genuine chance here...

I would get Ortiz possibly beating him if he keeps his legs close together and not posturing a wide stance, he can drive and chase Floyd easier this way and hopefully win rounds on aggression in the same way De La Hoya did, by picking his moments as to when to strike, let's be honest with ourselves here if De La Hoya had the stamina to keep it up for 12 rounds then he would have nicked the decision in that fight. Instead when he was resting he was doing stupid things, he just stood there doing nothing but sitting in the killzone allowing Floyd to just pick him apart with left hooks and straight rights. If Ortiz is able to keep the work rate up and push Floyd back at the appropriate times I think he stands a chance of winning. With this tactic he will have to be clever with what he does in his resting periods and not allow Floyd to control him as much when he is, by staying elusive and moving away and making Floyd come to him.

The main problem with beating Mayweather is controlling range, in honesty I don't think I've ever seen a fighter than can control the range as well as Floyd can, when people get too close he holds and ties them up perfectly and the problem is when he is fighting an exceptionally good inside fighter he has the capabilities to beat them too. (See Hatton) He is a defensive master, if you start throwing be prepared to throw combo's if Ortiz decides to throw a single shot, he's going to be punished unless he can slip away (Which I doubt) when you throw combo's Mayweather uses his shoulder as a block and pulls his head down and leans away from you, naturally he is slightly off balance when he is doing this so whilst this is happening Ortiz needs to move to his left quickly and get the angle on him and throw another combo, chances are you could actually get through with this and back him up massively, making for eye catching scoring shots.

Key for Ortiz is aggression he has little else that majorly troubles Floyd. If he does the workrate tactics then he could possibly be leading him halfway and then al he needs is a couple of big rounds to take him on a 115 - 113 decision, though I struggle to see Ortiz putting all of this into motion, I think it's definately possible.

One major talking point I will say that I am very shocked not many other people have actually mentioned is how big will Ortiz be? He came in like a SMW against Berto, could the size and strength cause more problems couple this with his will and determination, could you get him to win this?

I understand not all of you will go into as much detail as I have but I do wonder how would you go about your game plan?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Mayweather Vs. Ortiz - If You Were Ortiz's Trainer What Would The Game Plan be?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Mayweather Vs. Ortiz - If You Were Ortiz's Trainer What Would The Game Plan be?

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 27 Aug 2011, 6:15 pm

How is Mosley choosing to survive not going into survival mode, Hatton at least tried to win after the knockdowns.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Mayweather Vs. Ortiz - If You Were Ortiz's Trainer What Would The Game Plan be?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Mayweather Vs. Ortiz - If You Were Ortiz's Trainer What Would The Game Plan be?

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 27 Aug 2011, 6:21 pm

Giving up and going into survival mode are two different things, although it's purely up to your own interpretation but I think Mosley was mainly just disheartened instead of going after Floyd he chose the way of not trying anymore, though I do definitely see the thin line in there.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 27 Aug 2011, 6:25 pm

He gave up because he knew what was going to come straight back at him, in short Mayweather has very under rated power and could hurt Ortiz if he chooses to really commit to his punches, much is the Mayweather way I fully expect him to coast to an easy points win.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 27 Aug 2011, 6:31 pm

I too do get an inkling that he has underrated power, but you have to look at the stats up at the bigger weights, he doesn't stop many, as opposed to what he was doing at SFW and the lower weights. He has respectable power in terms of stopping ORtiz... don't think it's a matter of a one big punch will send him scattered... Think it will be the accumulation of punches if he is to be stopped and Ortiz being tired.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Aug 2011, 7:57 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Think he has to try the Hatton approach..try to stop Mayweather working and basically mug him.....Try some rough stuff...

Going to have to be some one sharp to beat Floyd or someone tall with a good jab......Ortiz for me doesn't fit in either....So basically try and mug him.

Agree with that shout and would even take it further saying that Ortiz has to be on the verge of reckless with his aggression.

Granted, recklessness is normally stupid in boxing, but given the opponent is Floyd and that he beats any other version of Ortiz (assuming Floyd is on his game of course) then I think Ortiz's only chance is to take Hatton's approach further by risking more shots to try and get closer faster than Hatton did.

He has to hope that his added size and strength can unsettle Floyd and then massively hope he is fast enough to make those physical advantages count.

Ignoring one big punch (which of course can happen in any fight), I see no other way that Ortiz can win unless he throws the kitchen sink and takes massive risks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2