The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather vs Ortiz

+48
alfredperami
Michaels, Sean
Small Time
Davie
Union Cane
HumanWindmill
Imperial Ghosty
paperbag_puncher
Mr Bounce
Knowsit17
Michael Easton
BALTIMORA
superflyweight
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Peacehavenboy
samevans1
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Rowley
Dinamita
The genius of PBF
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Young_Towzer
coxy0001
Boxtthis
Seanusarrilius
OasisBFC
whotobeA
sweet_pea
BoxingFan88
Scottrf
Ronikara
manos de piedra
Day V Lately
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
bellchees
Youarethegreatest
Colonial Lion
Daz
88Chris05
J.Benson II
WelshDevilRob
mikeymax71
Perfessor Albertus Lion V
Liam_Main
azania
joeyjojo618
Lumbering_Jack
Fists of Fury
52 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Mayweather vs Ortiz Empty Mayweather vs Ortiz

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:48 pm

It's on. Sept 17th for Ortiz's WBC title. Thoughts?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Mayweather vs Ortiz Empty Re: Mayweather vs Ortiz

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:48 pm

Source is FMJ's Twitter, by the way.

Mayweather UD all day long? Or can the younger guy out-hustle him?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:51 pm

Floyd by a wide UD, something along the lines of 118-110. Ortiz does not hit hard enough to trouble Floyd and has already shown he in vunerable to a sharp puncher in Berto.

Floyd is faster than Berto and hits with greater accuracy. He wont have the power to stop Ortiz but he will make it look easy IMO.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:53 pm

Mayweather UD all day long, but its a credible fight.

Cant think of many competitive fights out there for him to be honest, filipino's and middleweights aside.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:55 pm

You have to take your hat off to floyd for taking this fight after 17 months out of the ring. No warm up, no weight stips (yet) just taking on the best 147lber. Respect.

But Ortiz is a huge WW with good power.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:58 pm

Mayweather by a comfortable UD. Big respect for Mayweather for taking on the best fighter in the division bar the obvious candidate.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Perfessor Albertus Lion V Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:09 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Source is FMJ's Twitter, by the way.

~ The original sources were his twitters announcing a 2 year retirement and most recently denying that he would be fighting Mr. Ortiz.

Can the younger guy persuade him to enter the ring is the more properly framed Mr. Moneybags rhetorical question of the fleeting tweeting moment?

https://www.606v2.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:11 pm

Nothing more than a pay day for Ortiz as he does not have skill set or the power to beat Floyd. Unless Mayweather has completely shot to pieces in his lay off then this is his fight all day long.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:22 pm

mikeymax71 wrote:Nothing more than a pay day for Ortiz as he does not have skill set or the power to beat Floyd. Unless Mayweather has completely shot to pieces in his lay off then this is his fight all day long.

I believe he has the power to do so but not the skillset. No 147lber has the skillset to beat floyd. I actually believe this would be a more difficult fight for floyd than against the filipino.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:29 pm

Think its a very good fight. Ortiz is fresh, quick and powerful. Good choice by Floyd and good to see him back.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:42 pm

If Mayweather remains as good as he looked against Mosley, he'll exploit the flaws in Ortiz and take a UD victory.
Good fight though, I think Ortiz is more than capable of giving him a few scares along the way, especially in the early rounds.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:51 pm

I think Ortiz will give a good account of himself, but I still can't see anything other than a clear points win for Mayweather, probably taking nine of the twelve rounds. A flash knock down at some stage wouldn't surprise me, either. He's tailor-made for Mayweather, unless the lay off has had a serious effect on the Pretty Boy.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:59 pm

YYYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! The return of Mayweather!! Thought this day would never come!!

I was wondering if he was scouting Ortiz at the Berto fight - turns out he was!!

Mayweather all the way - will frustrate Ortiz to no end and systematically break him down. Floyd wide UD!! I'm so happy!!!

SWEET!!!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:01 pm

Once again Mr Mayweather displays his knack for picking an opponent at the correct time when his stock is high.

Ortiz is a big deal in the States now. A world champion coming off a fight of the year candidate. His stock and reputation have never been higher. On paper, Floyd sharpshoots the wide open Ortiz to pieces whos only saving grace may be he is big at the weight and Mayweather is relatively light hitting.

Meanwhile, Pacquiao will drag Marquez up two weights to finish off whats left of him and maybe look to finish off Ortiz after if Mayweather leaves enough leftovers to dine off.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:02 pm

Hopefully Pacman in the spring! Please god please!!!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:03 pm

When Floyd wins I wonder if he will be rightfully installed as p4p #1?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:10 pm

I bet Arum is peed! Take the test Manny!! TAKE IT!!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Youarethegreatest Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:10 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Floyd by a wide UD, something along the lines of 118-110. Ortiz does not hit hard enough to trouble Floyd and has already shown he in vunerable to a sharp puncher in Berto.

Floyd is faster than Berto and hits with greater accuracy. He wont have the power to stop Ortiz but he will make it look easy IMO.

I expect floyd to outbox victor but Ithink u r wrong about ortiz' power. He can KO floyd, he has the power and also a southpaw.
Im glad Floyd's facing a young in prime hungry fighter whilst Manny continues his trend of facing floyd victims

Youarethegreatest

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:13 pm

Floyd obviously took this fight to expose Manny for fighting old leftovers and dragging the latest one two divisions up. It seems more people will begin to question Manny legitimacy.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:19 pm

Youarethegreatest wrote:I expect floyd to outbox victor but Ithink u r wrong about ortiz' power. He can KO floyd, he has the power and also a southpaw.

I agree that Ortiz has considerable power at 147 lb (don't think he'll have enough clear openings to trouble Mayweather with it, though) but the whole southpaw issue is a bit of a red herring for me, a fallacy left over from times gone by. The best solution to a good southpaw is an even better right hander, simple as that. In this day and age I really don't think the southpaw element has anywhere near as big an influence as it used to.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:19 pm

azania wrote:Floyd obviously took this fight to expose Manny for fighting old leftovers and dragging the latest one two divisions up. It seems more people will begin to question Manny legitimacy.

Haha! Shrewd!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:20 pm

Mayweather should really stop Ortiz if he hasn't lost much from the lay off. Ortiz is an absolute sucker for being hit by right hands and Mayweather throws his with such speed and accuracy I think he'll force a corner or referee stoppage. Also it'll be interesting to see what drug testing is done because we all know Mayweather wants random testing and Ortiz was accused by Berto of using PED's I think.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:26 pm

Well he's the most dangerous WW on he division bar manny, so we can't accuse him of ducking now. Mayweather could get caught but he should win easily. Ortiz isnt skilled enough. Mayweather was aggressive afaind Mosley meaning that mayweather may turn up which could make it very entertaining and floyd may stop him

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:29 pm

Pacman's hardcore fans are real sycophants, but only they will not see this as one in the eye for Manny, as he takes on an ageing and fleshy JMM, while Floyd fights at prime challenge at the weight.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:40 pm

Colonial Lion wrote:Once again Mr Mayweather displays his knack for picking an opponent at the correct time when his stock is high.

Ortiz is a big deal in the States now. A world champion coming off a fight of the year candidate. His stock and reputation have never been higher. On paper, Floyd sharpshoots the wide open Ortiz to pieces whos only saving grace may be he is big at the weight and Mayweather is relatively light hitting.

Meanwhile, Pacquiao will drag Marquez up two weights to finish off whats left of him and maybe look to finish off Ortiz after if Mayweather leaves enough leftovers to dine off.

This sums it up for me. Ortiz is insanely beatable for an elite operator like Mayweather. But his reputation is big, his popularity is high and he is being hyped up massively as a real threat to the two big guns. People have a habit of doing this it seems. Floyd has got the timing spot on and is going to get Ortiz when hes ripe for the picking, despite the reality being I dont think he poses much threat. As with Mosely and Hatton before its great timing in terms of how his opponents stock is but beneath the surface its quite one sided unless Ortiz has really been hiding something up his sleeve or Mayweather has got seriously old and rusty.

I see the match up being similar to Mayweather v De la Hoya in the way it pans out except more one sided.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronikara Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:48 pm

I'm not a fan of either manny or floyd. But they are the two best fighters in the world, and the only fight I want to see either of them in at the moment is against each other. Mayweather v Ortiz is a mismatch. Ortiz has had 1 fight at 147lbs. Manny v Marquez at that weight is a mismatch. And compared to genuine 50-50 fights that boxing is finally starting to have (Haye/Wlad, Bradley/Alexander, Khan/Maidana/Judah, Murray/Mitchell, Fury/Chisora, Rhodes/Alvarez, Groves/Degale) I couldn't care less about manny or floyd until they both stop messing around and make it happen.

Ronikara

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:51 pm

If only. Would love to see Mayweather back, but don't have a bit of excitement about this. Just can't see it happening.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:56 pm

Has this been confirmed in any other sources?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:57 pm

Yeah ESPN, Sky Sports etc. But a twitter post is enough for all the other websites to run with it these days.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:58 pm

Possibly a warm up southpaw for pacquiao?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:08 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Possibly a warm up southpaw for pacquiao?

Lets hope so.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:09 pm

USDA drug testing in place for this fight. Same as Mosley. That should shut Berto up.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:13 pm

J.Benson II wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:Possibly a warm up southpaw for pacquiao?

Lets hope so.

thats what roger keeps hinting at.
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:13 pm

Dazstarr wrote:USDA drug testing in place for this fight. Same as Mosley. That should shut Berto up.

What's so special about them. Is it random testing?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by whotobeA Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:16 pm

Should be straightforward for Floyd but Ortiz is a good, live opponent and it may be close for a while.

Really hoping that this is THE tune up fight for the big one early next year.

whotobeA

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:17 pm

Olympic style testing. Random testing. they can turn up whenever they want. USADA actually.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:27 pm

im a massive fan of this fight. ortiz is the best welter around bar manny.
if the fight is made, its once again floyd showing up manny by taking on the legitimate opponents.

he took on jmm when manny wouldnt (even though it seems....years after, he will)

he took on mosley when manny wouldnt (hmm, yes thats fight, manny then agreed to fight a well beaten and older mosley)

now floyd is supposedly taking on the wbc champ in ortiz, coming off a great victory of berto who manny wouldnt fight.

not to mention the joke match up of marg / manny. and the fact he fought oscar and hatton after floyd had already beat them

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:32 pm

whotobeA wrote:Should be straightforward for Floyd but Ortiz is a good, live opponent and it may be close for a while.

Really hoping that this is THE tune up fight for the big one early next year.

It'll be too late by then, I fear one or both will have slowed down a bit by then. A 35 year old Manny cannot fight in his current style, which in all honesty without sparking a row, is why Floyd will opt to fight him then.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:34 pm

floyd is fav and rightly so, he will of seen some flaws in Ortiz defence that he knows he can exploit BUT this is a real fight and thank god. Pac v Marquez Floyd v Marquez both of them beating ona completley shot Mosley. We deserve an exiting fight with risk, Ortiz will be big underdog but he is a risk to Floyd or Manny. thank goodness

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 07 Jun 2011, 4:21 pm

Like most I think FMJ is too slick and too accurate not to UD Ortiz. Ortiz is more athletic and mobile than plodders like Baldomir, but he's still not sharp enough to avoid being picked apart by Floyd. That said, at least Floyd taking on a young powerful and hungry WW. This really does place Manny's opponent choices in to a poor light.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 4:53 pm

I like this fight personally, can't see anything other than a FMJ win but i do like the sounds of it.

Was wondering where Ortiz would go from here, Manny wanted no part of him and it appeared a rematch against Berto was the best fight financially and in terms of getting another career win/bit of kudos.

What he will do is give FMJ a fight though and push him hard (as long as he turns up in the mindset he showed against Berto), which as a welterweight fight has been a rarity recently with inhouse inbredmatchmaking going on against slow underserving or 2 divisional weight jumping opponents etc.

This is very much a live fight, FMJ will have had to have lost a step to lose against Ortiz. Ortiz has earned the right to be there behind the #1/2 in the division by beating the man holding that spot.

Can see this doing huge numbers as well, lets just all prey him and Manny then come to an agreement and this was only a very high risk tune up (because to be honest Ortiz if he comes out blazing can seriously whack).

Nice to see two top dogs in a division get it on though. And to think we all thought it was dead in the water

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 07 Jun 2011, 5:03 pm

coxy0001 wrote:I like this fight personally, can't see anything other than a FMJ win but i do like the sounds of it.

Was wondering where Ortiz would go from here, Manny wanted no part of him and it appeared a rematch against Berto was the best fight financially and in terms of getting another career win/bit of kudos.

What he will do is give FMJ a fight though and push him hard (as long as he turns up in the mindset he showed against Berto), which as a welterweight fight has been a rarity recently with inhouse inbredmatchmaking going on against slow underserving or 2 divisional weight jumping opponents etc.

This is very much a live fight, FMJ will have had to have lost a step to lose against Ortiz. Ortiz has earned the right to be there behind the #1/2 in the division by beating the man holding that spot.

Can see this doing huge numbers as well, lets just all prey him and Manny then come to an agreement and this was only a very high risk tune up (because to be honest Ortiz if he comes out blazing can seriously whack).

Nice to see two top dogs in a division get it on though. And to think we all thought it was dead in the water

Definitely a live fight Coxy, and one that I can't freakin wait for!

Last edited by Dazstarr on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Being drunk and watching prizefighter at the same time)

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue 07 Jun 2011, 7:04 pm

I think Ortiz will try and knock him out, which is what he needs to do, hard comeback fight, Ortiz won't do a Marquez and box to survive he'll go for it, obviously Mayweather's a huge favourite but Victor's power, speed and strength work for him, would be beautiful if Ortiz knocked him out.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 07 Jun 2011, 7:11 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:Mayweather UD all day long? Or can the younger guy out-hustle him?
I think Ortiz will try and knock him out, which is what he needs to do, hard comeback fight, Ortiz won't do a Marquez and box to survive he'll go for it, obviously Mayweather's a huge favourite but Victor's power, speed and strength work for him, would be beautiful if Ortiz knocked him out.
Ortiz scraped a draw against Peterson the fight before last. It wild be a tune up, make no mistake.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 07 Jun 2011, 7:19 pm

Have just seen this confirmed on mayweathers official facebook page - "my fans have been waiting long enough. Floyd Mayweather vs Victor Ortiz. Sept 17 2011 for the WBC world championship."

On the surface of it a highly credible fight for mayweather, Ortiz is riding the crest of a wave after beating Berto for the title, is a younger, bigger, hungry champion, and a southpaw. With pacquiao getting yet more criticism post the mosley farce for dragging an older lightweight in JMM up to WW (a guy that mayweather has handily beaten at welter), this is a welcome positive strike in the PR war for floyd.

I totally expect mayweather to win. Ortiz looks more natural at 147, and was able to out muscle and out heart Berto - but we're talking a higher level of boxing expertise here, and although Victors strength and southpaw stance may give floyd a bit to think about, he simply does not have the boxing tools - the speed, brain or natural ability required to beat mayweather. For me this will be a surprisingly entertaining fight but one that mayweather wins by clear unanimous decision.

As others have said this does assume that mayweather has lost nothing to age or ring rust, but he's a natural athlete who keeps busy in the gym so I doubt it'll be a problem. To be honest there's nobody of 154 or below that I'd give a prayer of beating mayweather, including Pacquiao who has great assets but lacks the skill level or defensive prowess. The only legit opponent that he could face who id back to defeat him would be Sergio Martinez at a weight somewhere between 154 and 160 - but that's never gonna happen.

On the whole very pleased with this. Boxing is a better sport when mayweather is active, I love watching him fight and this is a sound comeback bout against a worthy young champion. No doubt his haters will find something to pick at, but of the active boxers around his weight class I think Ortiz is obe of the better opponents and I look forward to this fight which I imagine will sell very well in America on ppv.

Good news for the sport.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue 07 Jun 2011, 8:25 pm

http://www.ja606.co.uk/articles/viewArticle/3042

comment by D4thincarnation (U2520)

posted 3 hours, 1 minute ago

"Ortiz is a good young boxer, but lacks experience and the technical guile to beat Mayweather.

He a pressure fight like to fight on your chest and throw a lot of wide telegraphed punhes.

Mayweather will probably tie him up on the inside and will see his wide punches and be able to counter them without too much difficulty.

Ortiz is also very vunerable to the straight right down the middle, a punch Berto had a lot of success against Ortiz with, putting him down of one.

Ortiz also got out boxed by Petterson who is an average fighter.

Ortiz beat Berto but Berto was never tested against the highest leve and was lucky to beat Luiz Collazo.

Mayweather should take this one by a UD by 7/8 rounds"

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinamita Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:09 am

When Ortiz was in the trenches against Maidana he chucked it. Depending which way you look at you could say he did a Cotto and gave up.

How will Ortiz react being picked off at will by Mayweather? Will he show any dig and proper fight? Or will he turn his back again? This is a big test of character for Ortiz IMO.

There's no doubt Ortiz looked bigger and stronger at 147 against Berto but he still has the tendency to throw wide, wild shots. And that will be Ortiz's shortfall against Mayweather.

Dinamita

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 08 Jun 2011, 4:08 am

How will Ortiz react being picked off at will by Mayweather? Will he show any dig and proper fight? Or will he turn his back again? This is a big test of character for Ortiz IMO.
Ortiz will give him a really tough fight imo. Hopefully Victor goes all out he has the speed and timing to trouble Mayweather, it's all well and good fighting a fat lightweight in Marquez, this kid brings much, much more speed, better power and more hunger.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinamita Wed 08 Jun 2011, 4:14 am

Young_Towzer wrote:How will Ortiz react being picked off at will by Mayweather? Will he show any dig and proper fight? Or will he turn his back again? This is a big test of character for Ortiz IMO.
Ortiz will give him a really tough fight imo. Hopefully Victor goes all out he has the speed and timing to trouble Mayweather, it's all well and good fighting a fat lightweight in Marquez, this kid brings much, much more speed, better power and more hunger.

I hope you're right, but that image of Ortiz quitting against Maidana sticks in my mind.

As for a fat Marquez - sadly, it looks like history will repeat itself in Nov against Manny. Crying or Very sad

Dinamita

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jun 2011, 4:22 am

Whilst Ortiz's speed and timing may not be in doubt, his mental toughness will be severely tested against Mayweather. Yes, he got off the canvas against Berto but Berto isn't Mayweather and how will Ortiz cope with the frustration of possibly not being able to hit Floyd cleanly whilst taking stinging shots to the face with monontonous regularity? Mayweather frustrates his opposition and once frustration sets in, that's when they start taking risks and Floyd capitalises on any mistakes.

Everyone facing Mayweather claims the trick is to take him out of his comfort zone, pressure him and not let him get settled into a gameplan or rhythm. Now, of all the fighters he's faced, is Ortiz really the one whose going to buck the trend and show us all how it's done?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next