The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster to investigate racism claims

+24
tecphobe
HammerofThunor
PenfroPete
red_stag
InjuredYetAgain
Cari
HERSH
Gibson
MBTGOG
Sin é
thebandwagonsociety
geoff998rugby
flankertye
Thomond
pete (buachaill on eirne)
D24tress
jb1973
Kingshu
Mickado
greybeard
poissonrouge
Cymroglan
Notch
Shifty
28 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Leinster to investigate racism claims - Page 7 Empty Leinster to investigate racism claims

Post by Shifty Sun 28 Aug 2011, 8:57 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2011/0827/mujati.html

Leinster are holding a "full internal investigation" after Northampton prop Brian Mujati claimed he was the subject of racist remarks during last night's pre-season friendly at Donnybrook.

Mujati, 26, made the allegations on Twitter this morning. He later removed the postings, in which he claimed the remarks had come from Leinster prop Heinke van der Merwe and lock Steven Sykes.
Press Association Sport understands that Van der Merwe and Sykes deny the allegations.

The only comment that Leinster would make was in a statement which said: "Following allegations made by a Northampton Saints player this morning via his personal Twitter account, Leinster Rugby are holding a full internal investigation.

"The managements of both teams are in close communication and hopefully the matter will be resolved as soon as possible.

"No further comment will be made at this time until that resolution has been reached."

Zimbabwe-born Mujati, who has won 12 caps for South Africa, was clearly upset when he posted on the social networking site.
A Northampton spokesman told Press Association Sport:

"The club takes any allegations like this very seriously. We will be talking to the player concerned about it and contacting Leinster.
We will not make any further comment at this time."

The Rugby Football Union have confirmed that because the alleged incident took place on Irish soil it falls outside of their jurisdiction.

The IRFU have said they are in touch with Leinster and Northampton on the matter.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Leinster to investigate racism claims - Page 7 Empty Re: Leinster to investigate racism claims

Post by Notch Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:09 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Funny link on political correctness.

I looooove Stewart Lee.

"We can't have tea anymore... in case it annoys a Pakistani"
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Leinster to investigate racism claims - Page 7 Empty Re: Leinster to investigate racism claims

Post by MBTGOG Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:15 pm

Sin é wrote:
Notch wrote:I think a lot of my perspective on- and voluble disdain for- prejudice comes from my own rearing in Northern Ireland and the toxic nature of sectarianism which can be seen first hand.

Cymro makes a good point, it is pretty hard to judge if you don't live in that community.

I don't know about that. It is probably easier for an outsider/visitor to see what is going on.

Maybe, but the outsider/visitor come in with their own ideas/preconceptions/prejudices so can they if they don't understand the context of the situation be the best person to make a judgement?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:18 pm

Notch wrote:It's because you're black Portnoys.

Me know bwana.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:26 pm

Portnoy wrote:
Notch wrote:It's because you're black Portnoys.

Me know bwana.

I don't understand what you mean by that, but I still feel its inappropriate censored
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 01 Sep 2011, 8:58 am

Cymroglan wrote:
Am I a racist if I believe that people who move here should live by our laws and any thought of trying to get us to adopt their laws is out of order.

Well the fact that you even made that statement probably does make you a racist to some degree yes.

Who is the "our" and "their" that you are referring to? You do realise that "our laws" are set at regional, westminister and EU level?

Which laws excactly are "they" forcing you to adopt which you feel are out of order?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:18 am

Anyone who comes to this country is welcome to try and change the laws in any way they want (using legal means). It's the right of anyone who lives here and votes.

Are people saying that we shouldn't moderate our language in case in (or does) offends? should or shouldn't Leinster change their call now it's been made clear it has been taken as offensive? IMO it should and to some that makes me a racist.

However I also medorate my language relating to swearing. My grandma has never said she dislikes swearing but since I've never heard her use any I assume she doesn't and I moderate my language. Other times I've sworn and its been made clear they found it offensive so I make sure I don't use that language around them again.

It that political correctness or good manners?

Was the original use of the term deliberately ment to be offensive? I doubt it very much.

Should they have known better? Depends on their association of the word. I personally wouldn't have connected to two but then I'm from Stoke so most of the racial abuse I've been around has been targeted to people of Middle Eastern/Asian subcontinent origin.

Should it be changed now it's been highlight that a person has found it offensive? In this case yes as the term has significant association with a racial slur. If it was "salted popcorn" and someone found that offensive I don't think it should be changed (although salted popcorn is foul, why? why do that?).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:47 pm

popcornist

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:50 pm

Laugh

But, sweet, sugary popcorn is ok. PC Corn.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:53 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Anyone who comes to this country is welcome to try and change the laws in any way they want (using legal means). It's the right of anyone who lives here and votes.

Are people saying that we shouldn't moderate our language in case in (or does) offends? should or shouldn't Leinster change their call now it's been made clear it has been taken as offensive? IMO it should and to some that makes me a racist.

However I also medorate my language relating to swearing. My grandma has never said she dislikes swearing but since I've never heard her use any I assume she doesn't and I moderate my language. Other times I've sworn and its been made clear they found it offensive so I make sure I don't use that language around them again.

It that political correctness or good manners?

Was the original use of the term deliberately ment to be offensive? I doubt it very much.

Should they have known better? Depends on their association of the word. I personally wouldn't have connected to two but then I'm from Stoke so most of the racial abuse I've been around has been targeted to people of Middle Eastern/Asian subcontinent origin.

Should it be changed now it's been highlight that a person has found it offensive? In this case yes as the term has significant association with a racial slur. If it was "salted popcorn" and someone found that offensive I don't think it should be changed (although salted popcorn is foul, why? why do that?).

I endorse this post OK
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by poissonrouge Thu 01 Sep 2011, 3:45 pm

I'm sure Thunor is correct here.

Using "Salted Popcorn" as a call is definately the way to go.

Has the advantage of causing the opposition front row to fall about either laughing or going "yuk!" and so you win the scrum without any punches thrown!

Seeeemples! (Other insurance providers are available)
poissonrouge
poissonrouge

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 02 Sep 2011, 7:41 am

If any piece of popcorn every complains to me regarding offence at choice of seasoning I'd stop using it.

And go straight to commit myself (or stop drinking so much)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7