The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wallaby AB's game

+7
boomeranga
yappysnap
TheGreyGhost
disneychilly
Biltong
Great White
OzT
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wallaby AB's game Empty Wallaby AB's game

Post by OzT Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:34 am

Hi guys, how are you? Been a long weekend so just got on the board. Like to talk about the game, mainly from a Wallaby’s point of view, preferably without the mud slinging, seems enough threads already on it.

Watched the game in a crowded pub, seemingly 80% AB supporters, which was good as it gave me a real time AB supporters' opinion.

I thought the Wallabies played well. Though the 1st half we were on top, the strategy surprised me. Too often they went up the middle and didn't spin it out wide. Was it an attempt to play a forward's game? Does seem the gameplan in the 1st half was not to use the backs.

2nd half we were under the cosh, and shipped points. When Smith went thru not quite sure what Quade was doing, I think he must've had dirt in his eye....

What was very heartening was after being denied the ball for about 20 minutes, the 1st time we had the ball went thru to score, and it looked so easy.

Great work out for the sides that game. I think our wingers defended immensely, AAC being tops. Will we need Drew Mitchell even if he is fit I wonder.

Samo defo earned his place this game, but will he be 1st choice over Palu? I hope so, Palu for me never seems to punch his weight. Higginbotham I thought was a disappointment.

Didn't see the Quade knee live, just the scuffle after. I really hope he was not being dirty, would be gutted if a Wallaby is dirty. Last dirty player we had was Harrison, and I was embarrassed for my team then.

Sorry if I missed the match talk, but anyone have any comments on the aussie play? Defo Carter in the 1st half was below par, but I am hoping it was the Wallaby's pressure that made him play badly.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Wallaby AB's game Empty Re: Wallaby AB's game

Post by Great White Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:44 am

As i've said on another thread, the ABs (including McCaw and Carter were beaten by an Oz side where Genia and Pocock were immense. McCaw was overshadowed by Pocock and Genia was devestating near the breakdown proving that the ABs have no SH of international calibre and if Richie is swamped at the breakdown then the ABs are not half the team they normally are.

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:55 am

OzT, that is the thing about the new era of rugby, tries often look easy, you might have to miss only one tackle and a guy is through, or playing phase after phase like the All BLacks did, eventually you catch defence out of position and viola a try is scored.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:55 am

Saw that Great White, cheers, was also hoping for some thoughts on the aussie players and where they may be or out for the RWC.

SH to be fair is a dearth to quite a few sides. Maybe Carter will start standing furthur back a la JW from England?

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:04 pm

Thomson made an error of judgment staying out on the field. He should've come off straight away. That and lack of cover led to Samo's try.

The ABs were surprised that Aussie used a rush defence. Had SBW been on the bench he could have been used to unlock it. I doubt Carter will stand back as his running game is such a threat and NZ are physical enough to get over the gain line most times if they run the right lines.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:14 pm

disneychilly wrote:Thomson made an error of judgment staying out on the field. He should've come off straight away. That and lack of cover led to Samo's try.

Along with Wayne Barnes cunningly running obstruction in the AB defensive line. Samo targeted Barnes in the defensive line and ran between him and the defender outside him (Thompson), Thompson had to check his run and was then in a difficult position to take a tackle with a bad arm.

Clever from Samo, but annoying that Barnes was again positioning himself so badly.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:16 pm

He does it just to annoy you GG. Sure works as well doesn't it. Broken Record

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:20 pm

What's also annoying is a lot of the AB forwards (and Barnes too for that matter) were between the halfback and Carter. NZ weren't helping themselves there.

GW why are you using that broken record emoticon when you've been calling NZ chokers all morning? Kind of hypocritical if you ask me.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm

Not really, since they are.

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm

If Carter stays up top the line guess opens the way to chip ahead for the centres.

Any other opinions on Samo vs Palu or Higginbotham vs Rocky or Mitchel maybe coming back in the side?

I think Samo should be first choice, as Rocky and wish had chance to see Drew Mitchel before the RWC.

I guess too biltong when one missed tackle can make tries look so easy, as opposed to the forward style of pick and drives

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm

There was also a lot of lazy returning by the Wallaby forwards in the first half.

In the second, Weepu was giving everybody 5 minutes to get back on side before distributing the ball. It was beautiful, but if it took 5 seconds instead, it would have been more effective.

GW, do you have anything new to add? We all get the message now that your in-depth analysis of rugby involves calling New Zealand chokers every time they lose anything. We get it. That's you opinion. You are entitled to it. But maybe now jog on, thanks.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:There was also a lot of lazy returning by the Wallaby forwards in the first half.

In the second, Weepu was giving everybody 5 minutes to get back on side before distributing the ball. It was beautiful, but if it took 5 seconds instead, it would have been more effective.

GW, do you have anything new to add? We all get the message now that your in-depth analysis of rugby involves calling New Zealand chokers every time they lose anything. We get it. That's you opinion. You are entitled to it. But maybe now jog on, thanks.

GG, do you have anything new to add? We all get the message now that your in-depth analysis of rugby involves arround the non-English born players in the England team, Wayne Barnes and conspiracy theories. we get it. That's your opinion. You are entitled to it. But maybe now jog on, thanks.

See what I did there?

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:33 pm

Yeah man I wish we had England's stellar WC record, then people wouldn't think we have a cr@p record in the WC. Oh wait, 1/6...it's the same cr@p record!

Yeah OzT Carter's and Weepu's chips were instrumental in the win at Auckland-I'm surprised they didn't employ that tactic again against the rush D.

I really like Higginbotham and would have Samo at 8 too.

The NZ cover defence (or lack thereof) was a big part in Samo's try too. Someone should have hammered him when he was busy fending off Thomson.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:45 pm

From a neutral and non-WUM point of view it just looked to me like OZ wanted it more, you could almost feel the years of hurt in their first half performance.

The AB's were caught napping and didn't seem to realise just how pumped Oz were till it was too late. If Australia had spread the ball a little more then they could well have got another try or two. The NZ pack just didn't turn up in the first half and seeing all 3 backrow players down getting treatment after about 15 mins wasn't good, as stated Thompson really needed to come straight off then but couldn't really.

The second half thoughw as amazing. I haven't seen a team come out and change their plan so radically and work it so well. It was one of the most beautiful examples of forward power and control i have seen in a long time and 17 points in under 20 mins was not a bad return.

Australia though when they got the ball (eventualy) made it count and a cracker of a try was scored.

I don't know why but on that note the wind went out of the AB's sails and rather then carry on with the power game they seemed to lose cohesion.

Australia the deserved winner in the end but they had to work very hard for it. A brilliant game of rugby and as a neutral i have no problems with the refs decisions but Cooper needs to watch out for the silly antics.

Lastly I don't know who got MoM but it should go to Samo, that try had me shouting and I wont forget it in a while. Hopefully Banahan was taking notes.

Last edited by yappysnap on Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:46 pm

And can some one kick Great White and Grey Ghost? Their constant bickering on all these threads is getting f*cking tiring.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:53 pm

I often wonder why the chip is not used more often. Usually it's the boks that comes up, and so often a chip would open the defence, specially if your centres were aware of it. Even if the oppos caught the ball they should be wrapped up by the oncoming players, or tackled and forced to hold thus a penality. If i was a coach I would say chip chip chip then run...

Be a tough call with Rocky, do we play him and hope he finds his NH form or try Higginbotham to see if he is as good?

Unfortunately I stll think Palu is 1st choice.

That 1st half when the Wallabies were running up the middle and not spinning the ball wide reminded me of 2003 Abs game, when same, they kept bashing up the middle when they had the wingers to cut most sides, then of course the intercept.

I was saying to the kiwis roudn me when Ali Wiliams came on what sides can have that good a sub??? Such depth in the ABs.. and they in turn were shouting give it to anybody but Guildford!!!!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Tue 30 Aug 2011, 1:03 pm

OzT wrote:If Carter stays up top the line guess opens the way to chip ahead for the centres.

Any other opinions on Samo vs Palu or Higginbotham vs Rocky or Mitchel maybe coming back in the side?

I think Samo should be first choice, as Rocky and wish had chance to see Drew Mitchel before the RWC.

I guess too biltong when one missed tackle can make tries look so easy, as opposed to the forward style of pick and drives

Oz, my uneducated take on it

If we could afford Samo with Palu on the bench, that would be ideal. Neither seem likely to last the 80 this tournament, albeit for different reasons, and vs the big packs we need the muscle. We are going on faith with Wycliffe as it's been a long time between drinks, but I'm happy with that as we haven't left much behind at home. If we can't afford them both, I'd go Samo as he has the runs on the board this year.

I'm an Elsom fan, so go Rocky. Probably a blinkered view, but I don't think Higginbotham is what we need at the start of games. For the many craps taken on Elsom, H seems to do even less of the nasty work. I'd have him on my 14 man bench as well.

I don't think they would be sweating on Mitchell as much as TPN, Slipper and Palu, even though he is possibly the most proven of the four. Ioane is undroppable at the moment, JOC would have been, and Two Dads played a good game on the weekend.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 30 Aug 2011, 1:12 pm

yappysnap wrote:From a neutral and non-WUM point of view it just looked to me like OZ wanted it more, you could almost feel the years of hurt in their first half performance.

The AB's were caught napping and didn't seem to realise just how pumped Oz were till it was too late. If Australia had spread the ball a little more then they could well have got another try or two. The NZ pack just didn't turn up in the first half and seeing all 3 backrow players down getting treatment after about 15 mins wasn't good, as stated Thompson really needed to come straight off then but couldn't really.

The second half thoughw as amazing. I haven't seen a team come out and change their plan so radically and work it so well. It was one of the most beautiful examples of forward power and control i have seen in a long time and 17 points in under 20 mins was not a bad return.

Australia though when they got the ball (eventualy) made it count and a cracker of a try was scored.

Yeah - I get sick of this idea though. A team "wanting it more". It's probably true but it's a tedious cycle. Teams seem to be constantly "caught off guard" and then come back the next time stronger. It makes me wonder what on earth is going on in the players heads sometimes.

Australia are one of those teams that have the ability to punish you very quickly, and it proved true again this time around. I can't help but feel that the ABs new conservative game plan and reliance on maturity, patience and experience has come at the sacrifice of some of the electric counter-attacking we saw last year. NZ butchered a try in a criminal way in the first half with a 4 man overlap, and it's something I've seen time and time again: getting caught out by a guy rushing out of the defensive line. Wilkinson did in the second lions test 2005...many examples in between and finally it happened again on the weekend, DC this time at fault for throwing a hospital pass rather than throwing a miss pass/floating the ball over or delaying and running into the dog leg.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 30 Aug 2011, 1:24 pm

Taking a few obvious points,The Wallabies were at home,rested,and trained together closely.O`Connors absence was early enough to re-jig the team accordinly.
The stadium was home to a large number of the Players,new the conditions and played to them.
There training was aiming at being more physical and the team beefed up accordingly.
The :All Blacks preperation was flawed,travelling in different groups,light training,and 12 changes.It does`nt help the combinations,to have Read and Thomson [tho he stayed on a while]in the first15 minutes did`nt help.
Thomson with a duff arm was never going to stop Samo`s try.
Forget the Ref,yes he made mistakes but BOTH sides benefitted,BOTH sides got away with Murder,especially at the breakdown.
The All Blacks have been tinkering all year to get there squad right for the
RWC.THAT is there priority neither they nor the Boks seemed much bothered
with the 3Ns this year[rightly or wrongly].
In this match the Wallabies caught the ABs cold,got off to a great start,the
breakdown the key area was affected by the of Read,and Thomson staying on but injured.
One of the problems in modern rugby,and this applies to ALL sides,the coaches decide tactics.Captains are wired for sound but not encouraged to think for themselves.
Coaches ring there hands,and say why did`nt players change things etc.
BUT if you can`t get your hand on the ball.it is easier said than done.
When the All Blacks came out second half they were a different side,driving it up.The old stagers like Tony Woodcock loved it 26 phases,then bang try
beautiful.It may not be as good as a 6o metre dash but it`t very effective.
What you have to ask yourselve ,taking nothing away from a very fine
Wallabies win.
Was the REAL All Blacks side playing at Eden Park or Brisbane ?
RWCs are won by the most SETTLED consistent team at the moment in the case of the All Blacks that is not yet the case.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 30 Aug 2011, 1:25 pm

Oz, I think that forward pack will be our best bet. What a difference it makes to have a number 8 with some go forward. Our good teams in the past had it... Willy O, Totai Kefu etc. and now with Samo in good knick and Palu off the bench we suddenly look solid in that area again. McCalman was really just out there making up the numbers.

I was glad for Rocky that he had a strong game and think he did enough on the weekend to keep the starting 6 spot. He made his tackles and did his work at the breakdown well almost looking like the Rocky of old. With Higgers as backup we look good in that area too.

As for the backline I have no idea what Dingo will settle for but I'd be happy to see Genia, Cooper, Ioane, McCabe, Faingaa, O'Connor and KB out there. AAC looked hungry on the weekend but it might be too little too late. He used to be able to beat his man more often than not but lacks potency in attack these days. O'Connor seems more able to create something out of nothing.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 30 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

Good comments emack.

I hope that GH plays a settled team in the pool, and isn't tempted to continue tinkering.

Although he may be forced into that now due to injuries.

I think to a certain extent you need to play your top side consistently - if they get injured and worn out, then that's just life. Move on.

Better that than going out of the tournament with resting first choice players sitting in the stands again.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 30 Aug 2011, 1:46 pm

But AAC tackled like a demon Saturday, may be what we need. Days of Kefu and Willy O's gone, Samo looked good but as already stated will not last 80. Palu as i have always stated for his size and undoubted strength never seem to translate it on the pitch.

wish we had a couple of mean locks though. Our's does the job but no meanness about them.

If i was a kiwi supporter I wouldn't worry, it was a disruptive surrounding for them last game, RWC at home will mean they'll be settled.

I never feel the McCaw seem to make any team play decisions on the field. They have a game plan and stick to it. Kind of like the boks I think.

What Oz really really really need is a reliable kicker, ok, even someone with 80% would do!!!

emack, I would have thought time for tinkering with the side is gone, I am sure he does know his side really. As to was the real side at Eden Park or Suncorp, well the pattern was the same. Home side dominated ion the 1st half but the visitors played better in the 2nd, but both times not enough to recover from the 1st half

Booma, I am not Slipper fan and I as been tried and pushed back too often. But maybe he has learnt better techniques since?

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:13 pm

I do think oz seem to think they get more out of their games than they really do.
For all the hype and bravado going into eden park they came with a crash. Got down quickly and despite given the chances to come back duffed it. Pressure.
In brisbane they got the same flying start as we did. Got to 20-3 then the abs came straight back and scored 17 unanswered points. At will.
Completely controlled phases and easy cooper aided tries.
In the end unlike eden park the game was still anyones with a minute to go.
From it oz seem to gave gained world domination by these boards.
Best backline best this and that.
Thing is when you beat the abs its always by mere digits. Hong kong. Now this.
Oz learned from eden park.
Do you really think coming back to eden park that the abs will be lining up like sitting ducks.
I think you have caused more problems for yourselves than you could ever have by losing that match.
All complacency has been removed and will be replaced by a very focussed side. Something id suggest no one will get near in the next 6 weeks. Just an observation.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:19 pm

I'm still waiting for the cup performance (throughout the cup) where NZ takes all its anger and frustration from not having won out on their opponents one by one. I'd like Taylorman's suggestion to happen, and do think that it's best to get ambushed by Aussie now than in October.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:20 pm

I'm surprised you said that taylorman, I didn't get he impression the aussies said the wallabies are unbeatable. I think we all know we need to keep stepping up a gear and holding it.

It is true the ABs came back with 17 points, but also shipped a try (oh if only we have a kicker!) and didn't get anymore points back. So I can see why the aussies are celebrating, it was a good win against a better foe, but I think we do have our feet on the ground as well.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:26 pm

You see, if we were certain nations we'd be talking about how NZ had all the momentum after "winning the second half" 17-5.

Small graces.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

I didn't get that GG, but never mind. I was hoping for a post with talk about the Wallaby's performance and prospects, not after getting one over anyone.

I'm pretty much on my own here as nobody is interested in rugby, and if they are not Wallaby squad, so was looking to talk about the side on here cause, as I said, no chance to chat about it where I am at.

Vickerman played very well, and Horwill was industrious, but geesh I still wish we have a couple of mean locks like other nations!! Oh and stil a vacancy for a kicker!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:53 pm

I rate Vicks and Horwill, I think they've got plenty of mongrel about them. I remember Horwill in his younger days didn't mind going the biff from time to time. I was at the game V France at Suncorp a few years back where he aimed up against the wrong bloke and got his nose moved to the side for his efforts.

All round it was a great defensive effort from 1-9 and, ahem, 11-15. The '99 side won 'Bill' on the back of strong defence so it's good to finally see some resolve in that department again (although I won't get too excited until we manage to string that together for a few games in a row).

The goal kicking has been woeful for years now. I grew up watching place kicking done metronomically from anywhere and the Leaguies miss from right in front, these days it seems the other way around. In any given weekend of NRL you'll see several knocked over from the sidelines, when was the last time someone wearing gold did that? They should just let Silesi Ma'afu have a crack at it, at least we'd all get a laugh out of it.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:53 pm

Yep. Thats all i meant. I just think it all comes down to motivation drive and intensity.
From gaining that. The skill levels ensure the rest. Thats how both eden park and brissy were won.
Id suggest the same will be at eden park. Just feel the balls a little bit more in our court now.
Im interested to see if oz can dominate their pool. Abs rarely have a close match pool play- well theyve actually never had one- so for oz its now about consistency over lesser teams until knockout. As kiwis we always seem to see oz snd SA lose matches on such an infrequent basis to teams they shouldnt for some odd reason.
How do you think theyll go pool time ozt?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 30 Aug 2011, 3:02 pm

Full Credit wrote:The goal kicking has been woeful for years now. I grew up watching place kicking done metronomically from anywhere and the Leaguies miss from right in front, these days it seems the other way around. In any given weekend of NRL you'll see several knocked over from the sidelines, when was the last time someone wearing gold did that? They should just let Silesi Ma'afu have a crack at it, at least we'd all get a laugh out of it.

Yep - you used to have locks who could put them over from the side line. Now, Cooper who can kick them from the sideline, but miss out in front. And O'Connor isn't too shabby when he can be bothered getting out of bed.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 30 Aug 2011, 3:06 pm

I would expect them to top the pool taylorman. I know the Irish is in the group as well, but Oz have not got enough players to risk playing a 2nd side, so I expect full size and away from Ireland I would back the Wallabys.

No disrespect to Italy, Russia and the States, but I think, well I am hoping, we have learnt from Samoa to take no one easily.

Will like to win the group to have a crack at France first up in the knockout stage, as I feel confident against them. If we come 2nd may match up with England, and they have baten us 2 out of 3 WC meetings.

I think we have a good group, we play Ireland 2nd up for the intensity, then a couple of big brusing sides in the States and Russia to toughen the boys up, as if they need to be toughen, before the knockout stage.

Whereas I think the kiwis may have too easy a group and may have a chance to be caught cold in the quarter finals.

The game I am looking forward to in our's is States vs Russia.... stand by the Red phone!!!! LOL!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 30 Aug 2011, 3:08 pm

oops I meant Wales quarter and France in semi...

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 30 Aug 2011, 3:19 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:
Full Credit wrote:The goal kicking has been woeful for years now. I grew up watching place kicking done metronomically from anywhere and the Leaguies miss from right in front, these days it seems the other way around. In any given weekend of NRL you'll see several knocked over from the sidelines, when was the last time someone wearing gold did that? They should just let Silesi Ma'afu have a crack at it, at least we'd all get a laugh out of it.

Yep - you used to have locks who could put them over from the side line. Now, Cooper who can kick them from the sideline, but miss out in front. And O'Connor isn't too shabby when he can be bothered getting out of bed.
And to make matters worse, they try and overcompensate by doing these ridiculous antics beforehand. Cooper does his 'leaning on the fence' bit and O'Connor does his 'robot arms'. Is it reaching for the stars to ask for someone who can just line up a kick and knock over 4 out of 5?

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 30 Aug 2011, 3:26 pm

Actually I remember reading JW from before about the arms bit before the kick. It came from some kicking academy he attended that teaches that, the arms, locked thumbs and even the wriggle of the bottom.

And with his records, plus a few other kickers that practices that technique, it must work.

Nobody now just runs up straight and toe punts any more, the best being I think the great Don Clarke, same as no hooker now ever throws in with the overarm bowling action.. which I used to as could never grip that ball in one hand!!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Tue 30 Aug 2011, 3:28 pm

I haven't got any sense that the Wallabies are getting carried away with that win. Eden Park taught them not to get ahead of themselves and with Horwill being the level headed captain he is, he won't let them. Again cause for celebration as first 3N in a decade, on the back of a Super Rugby title - they will have to put up with some carping from the Kiwis about somehow being over the top with their celebrations. I haven't seen it. Could not be a better preparation for RWC. Nightmare "prep" for the ABs.

As to players OZT, in the forwards it is clear that Deans now wants to pick the biggest forward pack he can find. I think Kepu and Moore are locked in. Maybe Slipper will put pressure on Alexander at tight head - but not til well into the pools phase.

Horwill and Vickerman locked in; Sharpe as back up. Vickerman is getting fitter by the game - he had very good game as did Horwill.

After a quiet start to the season, Pocock played a screamer, achieved critical turnovers and helped set up Samo's try and clearly outplayed McCaw, who was quiet by his standards. Rocky was good - I'm not a fan but I think Deans will persist for a few more games. Higgers is a bench strike player. Samo - well enough said - he will stay picked provided no major errors creep into his game. His impact is making a huge difference and he works well with Genia. I am not into the hype about Palu - he has played virtually no rugby for 2 seasons and with Samo emerging after it took Deans ages to realise he was actually in the squad, I see Palu getting a bench spot at the expense of McCalman. Samo only good for 55-60 mins though so plenty of opps for Palu to get some good game time.

Genia was my MoM - scored a try and created another to win the game. I wish he would give 90% of his box kicks away - they are really annoying and pointless. But he made Weepu look very average indeed. Cooper was dangerous especially in the first half outplayed Carter by a long way. McCabe solid as usual. Faingaa good in defense as usual and saved at least one try. AAC good game looked comfortable on the wing. Ioane - good game again as did Beale.

Changes? Deans has Barnes, TPN, Palu, Slipper, Mitchell, Horne, O'Connor to think where they fit in. The bench eventually will be very strong. Deans just has to learn how to use his bench - something he has not mastered.

I can see O'Connor taking AAC's spot. AAC unlucky - but he will be valuable utility bench player. O"Connor just too talented to leave out.

Eventually, don't know how long it will take, I can see Barnes taking McCabe's spot - he is as good in defense and offers a bit more in attack and as a back up goal kicker.

Eventually, Slipper for Alexander. TPN and Palu on the bench. Horne? I shudder to think - serious love affair between him and Deans - let's hope sanity prevails and he carries the drinks for the tournament.

Surprised McCaw didn't change tactics in the first half - they were lucky W didn't put more tries on them. Does it really take the coach to have to wait to tell them at half time they are playing the wrong game? Does McCaw have no strategic authority or is he too useless to read the game? He looked rattled.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 30 Aug 2011, 3:32 pm

I wouldn't mind be subjected to that if they knocked a few over from time to time but to have to sit through that for no payoff is too much. I'm happy for them to use whatever technique they want but I draw the line at them taking lessons from Piggy Rydell or Jamie Soward.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 30 Aug 2011, 3:41 pm

Rob I don't think it was anything to do with tactics-you guys smashed us and we had no good ball. You can't implement tactice without the pill-and we weren't good enough to get it.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:00 pm

Good write up Rob b, cheers!

All the forwards bench am not keen on, cept for Palu/Samo whichever is there.

TPN nees to thro, and tackle more. Slipper I have said been pushed back already in games. Whereas the backline I think we are good, cept for Horny.

Stil need better front 5 backups...

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:01 pm

Australia should be confident to reach the final from what I have seen.

Firstly looking at their pool, I can't see anyone beating them, not even if Ireland does manage to fire on the day.

In the quarters wales will as always play their socks off, look busy but eventually succumb to Australia, I know Wales has done well on defence against an English backline with very few ideas, and in contrast the Wallaby backline will be innovative and creative enough to beat the welsh defence.

Meeting England or france in the Semi final shouldn't be the most scary thing that can happen.

even though england have won 2 tests in recent times against australia, they will be a one trick pony trying to scrum australia into submission, if australia stay out of their half there is little danger of conceding 3 points.

France on the other hand has not been able to cope with the australian attack, and should in my opinion be an easier opponent.

The Australian pack looked good on the weekend, even though not the most powerful, if they can focus their physicality for 80 minutes they can even best the english.

Pocock was superb, samo excellent, horwill a pillar.

In the back line i wonder what deans will do when O'connor is back, I would think move OConnor into McCabe's position, I liked what i saw with AAC on the wing. Genia is in supreme form and even though Cooper can dissappear a little under pressure O'Connor on his outside can make a difference.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:14 pm

biltongbek wrote:

In the back line i wonder what deans will do when O'connor is back, I would think move OConnor into McCabe's position, I liked what i saw with AAC on the wing. Genia is in supreme form and even though Cooper can dissappear a little under pressure O'Connor on his outside can make a difference.

No, Deans will not play O'Connor at 12 - he has said as much earlier this year. He thinks O'Connor won't be ready for another 2 years in terms of the aoumt of defense needed. McCabe made 18 tackles on the weekend - if O'Connor had to do that he'd have little left in attack.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:16 pm

My apologies, i stand corrected.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:38 pm

I'd rather we faced France as well Biltong, they don't seem to give us the same mental block as England do. Lately we've found some new and exciting ways to play utter rubbish against England. I still remember staring at the TV in disbelief in '07 for some time after the game finished trying to process what had just happened.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:39 pm

Oz should be confident of making the final. Well thats a gimme. 3 Things that may get in their way.
Goalkicking. Its weak. And at eden park it was shocking.
England have it over oz on the scoreboard. Beaten last two matches. One convincingly.
And england have it over oz big time in world cups.
Oz have a bad habbit of blowing huge leads. Theyve done it consistently last 2 years.
They also rely heavily on their star players.
Genia beale cooper were again needed to clinch the win.
Injuries to those 3 or joc will hurt them. Those are the facts.
Plus i think being 3N and superxv winners will give them a false sense of security.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:46 pm

Ioane i meant to say

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:49 pm

Full Credit wrote: I still remember staring at the TV in disbelief in '07 for some time after the game finished trying to process what had just happened.

Same old weakness let us down there, powder puff front row, and no kicker... Sad

The English did not let us play the way we wanted to, and sucked us into a forwards battle, which with pie man we were going to lose, and for some reason, well we were missing Larkham, the ball didn't go to the back line often enough.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:59 pm

Spot on. I'm not too concerned about the history between Aus/Eng in RWC's, if the forwards front up like they did on the weekend we're half way there.

On kicking conversions, I feel the IRB should bring in a special exemption for Australia whereby after scoring a try the ref says to Horwill, "Look, in the interest of not subjecting anyone watching this to Cooper's pre-kick routine we'll give you a point if you decline the kick. Otherwise, you're free to kick for 2pts knowing that he'll probably miss it anyway".

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Tue 30 Aug 2011, 5:01 pm

Taylorman wrote:Oz should be confident of making the final. Well thats a gimme. 3 Things that may get in their way.
Goalkicking. Its weak. And at eden park it was shocking.
England have it over oz on the scoreboard. Beaten last two matches. One convincingly.
And england have it over oz big time in world cups.
Oz have a bad habbit of blowing huge leads. Theyve done it consistently last 2 years.
They also rely heavily on their star players.
Genia beale cooper were again needed to clinch the win.
Injuries to those 3 or joc will hurt them. Those are the facts.
Plus i think being 3N and superxv winners will give them a false sense of security.

Agree - but it is funny how the stars keep starring though.

I think we can cover for JOC - just did it.

I am more relaxed about Cooper not being there especially with JOC at 10.

Can't cover Genia - that would be too big a loss. No different to ABs though. No Carter? No Cup.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 30 Aug 2011, 5:06 pm

oooh harsh, probably miss it?? Maybe miss it I think....

Anyway, better than Giteau in his later days

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 30 Aug 2011, 5:11 pm

I still have nightmares about Giteau lining up a kick, fortunately I wake up before he strikes it, usually in a profuse sweat.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Tue 30 Aug 2011, 5:14 pm

Remember that Qantas ad with Giteau kicking that goal from the touch line?

Heard it took 12 months to shoot that ad.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next