The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Wallace out for six months

+14
EnglishReign
Sin é
lostinwales
BlueMuff
Bathman_in_London
formerly known as Sam
GunsGerms
Biltong
eirebilly
HammerofThunor
The Great Aukster
rodders
G2
Cari
18 posters

Go down

David Wallace out for six months Empty David Wallace out for six months

Post by Cari Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:12 pm

From RTÉ:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2011/0830/wallaced_ireland_munster.html

Ireland flanker David Wallace is facing a minimum of six months on the sidelines following the knee injury that ended his World Cup dream.

The 35-year-old flanker suffered serious ligament damage in a tackle by Manu Tuilagi during Ireland's 20-9 warm-up defeat to England at Aviva Stadium on Saturday. Wallace underwent surgery on the injury in Dublin on Sunday night, with Leinster's Shane Jennings being called in as his replacement in Declan Kidney's squad, which departs for New Zealand today. And Munster, Wallace's province, have confirmed in a statement on their website that he "is expected to be sidelined for at least six months". That diagnosis means Wallace may miss the entire pool stages of the Heineken Cup, which end in January, as well as a significant chunk of the RaboDirect PRO12 season.

This is very sad news, I thought he'd be out for a while but not that long. I'm afraid he may not come back to play, although I hope that's not the case Sad

Cari

Back to top Go down

David Wallace out for six months Empty Re: David Wallace out for six months

Post by G2 Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:15 pm

It's getting to sound like the way Richard Hill's career ended, however best of luck to him

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:17 pm

Yeah really sad news. Didn't he sign a 2 year extension with IRFU recently?

Wallace is an absolutely phenomenal athlete, one of the best I've seen on a rugby pitch so I'm sure if he has the motivation then he can bounce back even at 35. He was in excellent form in the latter half of the season, particularly against England in march when he was almost superhuman.

It's a shame he won't play in another WC but I wouldn't write him off yet.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:19 pm

I hope you're right Rodders. It would be an awfully sad way to end a career like his.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:26 pm

I hope so too Cari. Even with Heaslip, O'Brien and Ferris there Wallace was still a key player for us. Arguably he's been our most consistant player over the past few years. He is a special player and hopefully he'll pull on a Munster and Ireland shirt again before he hangs up the boots. guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 30 Aug 2011, 5:47 pm

Isn't it about time that the IRB outlawed body armour?. It has been steadily evolving into 'NFL lite' and it is just encouraging the sort of reckless hits like Tuilagi's on Wallace.

I really can't see Wallace playing international rugby again, which is a sad way to bow out, and if his HEC replacement at Munster does well it could be the final nail in his provincial future as well.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 30 Aug 2011, 5:52 pm

A real shame. A lot professionals are retiring from injuries like that. I hope he does what is best for himself whatever that may be.

Regarding Tuilagi's tackle, didn't see much wrong with it. Does Tuilagi wear any padding? A do agree that all padding should be banned. Offers no real protection but give false confidence

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:07 pm

Yeah Rugby is tough sport and it was a huge hit by Tuilagi. When big powerful guys like Tuilagi and Wallace collide there's always the risk of injury. It was a bit reckless but perfectly legal and things like that just happen.

I'm still hopeful Wallace can bounce back but at the end of the day he has nothing more to prove outside of a WC so it will come down how much he wants to get back in shape again at 35/6. Apparently he is still one of the fittest in the Ireland squad so I wouldn't be surprised if he recovers quicker than expected.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:23 am

As rodders already said, Davie is an amazing athlete. I have no doubts in my mind that he wll be back and playing for Ireland by November next year. He is one of the most determined players ever and although this is a serious injury, he will be back.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:31 am

The problem with injuries like taht is a player is never the same again, as a player or athelete you pretty soon lose faith in that knee, often your game play has to be adapted.

No side step, just straight running and protection in the contact area.

I remember when Joost had a serious knee injury, he was never the same after that.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 31 Aug 2011, 8:33 am

True that Biltong. I hope he does get to play again, but as long as the injury has improved enough.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Aug 2011, 8:36 am

biltongbek wrote:The problem with injuries like taht is a player is never the same again, as a player or athelete you pretty soon lose faith in that knee, often your game play has to be adapted.

No side step, just straight running and protection in the contact area.

I remember when Joost had a serious knee injury, he was never the same after that.

Its very difficult recovering from the psychological scarring of such injuries, there is always that slight moment of hesitance before doing something you'd otherwise have been care free about.

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 31 Aug 2011, 8:52 am

Oh dear, has anyone seen this poster at Dublin airport. Embarassing!

https://i.servimg.com/u/f42/16/82/21/93/poster11.jpg

Very sorry for Wallace great pro. Suppose he will retire now.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 31 Aug 2011, 8:53 am

Awwwwh Leinster that's cruel! They should've taken it down!! 🤦 I hope Wally hasn't been there recently...actually they should remove it anyway cause none of them are going!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:05 am

Yep couldn't have got it more wrong.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:07 am

I'd say Connor Murray, Shane Jennings and Fergus McFadden had a good chuckle when they saw it on their way to NZ.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:10 am

leinsterbaby wrote:I'd say Connor Murray, Shane Jennings and Fergus McFadden had a good chuckle when they saw it on their way to NZ.

Ha yeah...still, Lukey, Wally...and.... eh...yeah they're better looking poster boys Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:52 am

Isn't it about time that the IRB outlawed body armour?. It has been steadily evolving into 'NFL lite' and it is just encouraging the sort of reckless hits like Tuilagi's on Wallace.

Manu doesn't wear body armour, he's just big and has the fearlessness of youth. As for the tackle, well it's just really bad luck. You'll see tackles like that every game with the centre coming across trying to cover the overlap, it was a fully committed tackle but in no way illegal and in no way out of the ordinary, covering players often aim at the bicep area in order to try and stop the offload back inside. Just horrendus luck that Wallace landed the way he did and I think everyone in the rugby community wishes him a speedy recovery.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Manu doesn't wear body armour, he's just big and has the fearlessness of youth. As for the tackle, well it's just really bad luck. You'll see tackles like that every game with the centre coming across trying to cover the overlap, it was a fully committed tackle but in no way illegal and in no way out of the ordinary, covering players often aim at the bicep area in order to try and stop the offload back inside. Just horrendus luck that Wallace landed the way he did and I think everyone in the rugby community wishes him a speedy recovery.

How do you know he doesn't? Anyway can't really complain even if it was more of a barge than a tackle it wasn't illegal and was just bad luck.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:48 pm

I hope he gets well soon, always been a very good player.

i think the padding ting is a bit of a red herring, if a 18 stone person thows himself at you, it doesn matter if they are wearing padding or not, your knees are simply not designed to take that sort of exersion, particularly from the side.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:53 pm

Absolutely gutted for him and for Ireland. Nearly got sick when I saw it unfold on Saturday. Absolutely cruicial player for Ireland.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:58 pm

Tuilagi is 16 stone 8 exact same as Wallace. He is huge for a centre though and does throw himself around a bit not always legally as in the Ashton tackle that lead to a punch or the high tackle on Darcy in the Hcup quarter.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:54 pm

How do you know he doesn't?

Because I own some and play with people that do and it's pretty easy to see the high collar and the elbow length sleeves when worn with a tight fit modern rugby top. If you want a really obvious example have a look at Tom Croft, the sleeves are longer than his shirt, you can see the neck line of the pads and the square/rectangled padding is obvious compared to the more natural muscle contours.

He is huge for a centre though and does throw himself around a bit not always legally as in the Ashton tackle that lead to a punch or the high tackle on Darcy in the Hcup quarter..

Tigers have been trying to school that out of him, because he aims up on the chest it is very eay for his shoulder or arm to glance off of the chest and make contact higher up the body giving away a blatant penalty. See the tackle in his first cap vs Wales on 'ickle Shane on the touchline. Hand makes contact on the chest but slips up and ends up dragging Shane back by the chin, how the linesman missed that I don't know. He certainly is the most accurate tackler of the Tuilagi clan with him remembering to wrap his arms and hit lower a lot more than his older brothers.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:19 pm

The tackle really was one of those things. His right leg was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and there wasnt anything inherently wrong with the hit.

If his right foot hadnt have been planted and he had just been smashed into the touchlines nobody would remember that hit at all.

I didnt realise Wallace was that old, although he does seem to have been about forever. Still, if Shaw can still do it there may be a couple more years left for Wallace.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 31 Aug 2011, 3:27 pm

The sad thing is, before this injury Wally seemed to be at his peak, he was playing better than ever, and considering his age, it was looking like he'd be around for a couple of years yet.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 31 Aug 2011, 3:33 pm

Thats the sad thing cari, he was in fantastic shape, Kidney said he was the fittest player he'd ever seen right now. Even with the other backrow stars Ireland have he was almost certainly a nailed on starter, thats how good he is.

If he isn't able to return then he can be happy with a great career for Munster, Ireland and the Lions but he's such a phenomenal athlete I wouldn't be surprised to see him back before the end of the season.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 31 Aug 2011, 3:41 pm

Still feel a bit sick that he is missing out and I hope he does come back - even for another year to finish off on a high.

He was in fantastic shape - I remember seeing a tweet from Stephen Ferris to say that he was 2nd in some sled pushing comp and that Wally was 1st a few weeks ago.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 31 Aug 2011, 3:43 pm

That's what I hope for Sin...I'd like him to have the career ending he deserves Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Wed 31 Aug 2011, 3:46 pm

Sad to see anyone ruled out of the world cup, especially a key player like Wallace. Just very unfortunate.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 31 Aug 2011, 3:48 pm

I can't believe some of you are blaming Manu, it was a fair tackle it’s not his fault his a big lump, this is what happens when a young fast guy runs into a dinosaur on the field of play.

Time to call it a day Dave.

Just shows how resilient/lucky Shaw is to still be around
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:01 pm

HERSH wrote:I can't believe some of you are blaming Manu, it was a fair tackle it’s not his fault his a big lump, this is what happens when a young fast guy runs into a dinosaur on the field of play.

Time to call it a day Dave.

Just shows how resilient/lucky Shaw is to still be around

Seems there is some life left in the old dinosaur yet:

david wallace
"@wa22y david wallace
Thanks to all for the uplifting helpful msg's. Had op this morning so it's all improvement from here on. Let's get behind the team."

He has a pic of his gift to the rest of the team up on his twitter as well - Custom made Oakley Sunglasses.

https://twitter.com/#!/wa22y

As regards Shaw, he is over 19 stone. Not many that can move fast would be able to bash him up. John Hayes was remarkably injury free as well.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm

Sin - thanks for sharing that. I don't use Twitter,so I didn't realise wally was on there Very Happy I'm glad he seems to be in good spirits anyway.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:09 pm

leinsterbaby wrote:
How do you know he doesn't? Anyway can't really complain even if it was more of a barge than a tackle it wasn't illegal and was just bad luck.

Here we go (again)...
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:10 pm

Good to hear he's doing well Sin guinness

Well Hersh when Wallace collided with Tuilagi a few minutes earlier he drove Tuilagi and Haskell 5 metres backwards so maybe he's not quite the dinosaur just yet Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:15 pm

Portnoy wrote:
leinsterbaby wrote:

Here we go (again)...

Only because you've picked up on that. Look, this is a thread about the injured player, not the event itself; and for what it's worth, the majority agree that the injury was just bad luck. Please stay on topic or discuss the tackle elsewhere if it bothers you that much.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:17 pm

"Well Hersh when Wallace collided with Tuilagi a few minutes earlier he drove Tuilagi and Haskell 5 metres backwards so maybe he's not quite the dinosaur just yet "

But it came at a cost! Whistle

I wish he well in whatever he decides to do, but sometime your body just can't keep it up.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

True Hersh. Maybe his age was a factor on the injury but the fact is Wallace has been in the best shape of his career lately, like Brad Thorn he's a bit of a freak athlete, so I don't think he was past his best by any means.

I think as long as Ireland keep Ferris, O'Brien, Heaslip and Jennings fit then we'll be more than ok but it's a shame Wallace didn't get to go out on the big stage like he deserved.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

Well Hersh when Wallace collided with Tuilagi a few minutes earlier he drove Tuilagi and Haskell 5 metres backwards so maybe he's not quite the dinosaur just yet

Standard Wallace carry. Manu made the mistake of going high and attempting to challenge for the ball which against someone with Wallace's leg drive is a mistake. The mistake was compounded by Fourie (not Haskell) then coming in high and going for the ball as well, though we should probabley let Fourie off as he was carrying an injury at that point.

It didn't come at a cost Hersh, Wallace was fine after that carry.

Good to hear that he is in fine spirits and already on the road to recovery.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:27 pm

Cari wrote:
Portnoy wrote:
leinsterbaby wrote:

Here we go (again)...

Only because you've picked up on that. Look, this is a thread about the injured player, not the event itself; and for what it's worth, the majority agree that the injury was just bad luck. Please stay on topic or discuss the tackle elsewhere if it bothers you that much.

One thing I am quite sure of Cari on the 606 boards v1 or 2 , if the disparaging remark was against a Celtic player then it would result in a tidal flood of comment.

Manu's tackle was fair and Wally's injury was unfortunate. End of.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Wed 31 Aug 2011, 5:48 pm

Completely agree, sometimes freak accidents happen.
Same with Armitage and Stoddart, can tackle someone like that 100 times, and they be completely fine.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 31 Aug 2011, 6:10 pm

It was a freak accident, but that won't stop me thinking every time I see Manu playing that he is the guy that may have ended Wally's career. Same way I think of Johnny O'Connor of breaking Felix Jones every time I see him playing, even though it was an accident as well.

Hopefully, Wally will get back though - it would be just awful if his career was ended like this.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:14 pm

AFAIK it was Stuart Barnes on commentary who questioned the tackle's validity - don't know if that is either neutral or knowledgeable!

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 01 Sep 2011, 7:14 am

The Great Aukster wrote:AFAIK it was Stuart Barnes on commentary who questioned the tackle's validity - don't know if that is either neutral or knowledgeable!

Neither. The whistle had gone and he had to try and guess why. They generally do it with false confidence and get the calls completely wrong even with the obvious hand signals and ref mikes. Barnes had missed that there was advantage from earlier.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 02 Sep 2011, 10:39 am

Stuart Barnes on commentary who questioned the tackle's validity

Of course he did because a) Manu is a Tigers player and Barnes is a life long Bathite who really doesn't like Tigers and b) he doesn't like the big Tuilagi family hits, he screams for a red card for a Tuilagi every time they play Bath (suprise, suprise). The man is a massive tool.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 04 Sep 2011, 10:42 am

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/not-being-there-will-be-hard-but-ive-a-different-challenge-2866242.html

Nice piece in the independent this morning about Wallace. Just a few key points:

Wallace doesn't blame Tuilagi at all, he was just hit hard from the side and landed awkwardly because of the way he'd planted his foot. Like he said it was just the combned weight of two big guys colliding and there was nothing wrong with Tuilagi's challenge.

He was in the best shape of his career and one of the fittest, strongest and fastest in the Irish squad before his injury.

He will be beginning rehab soon and is looking forward to the challenge of coming back again at 35:

"If you doubt him, then you still don't know David Wallace and the hard granite from which he was hewn." guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 04 Sep 2011, 11:16 am

Quality player but I think it will be difficult for him to get back after such a lengthy time out of the game.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down