The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread

+70
Cari
Taylorman
emack2
Nos na Gaoithe
PJHolybloke
Breadvan
HURLEY_BURLEY
kiakahaaotearoa
Bujin
G2
Artful_Dodger
Notch
aucklandlaurie
JmD
Rob B
Rugby Uberlord
RDW
boomeranga
Goosestepper
mutememories
Pot Hale
Gatts
eirebilly
OzT
Submachine
Cymroglan
Jenifer McLadyboy
Feagh McHugh
Pal Joey
greybeard
littlejohn
Kingshu
MrsP
Don Alfonso
D24tress
clivemcl
akaredtop
BlueMuff
MunsterMac
WillyGilly
rapidsnowman
Rava
Glas a du
Mickado
Gibson
Bullsbok
logie28
The Great Aukster
Hookisms and Hyperbole
valjester
Taffineastbourne
mrsuperclear
Thomond
asoreleftshoulder
Standulstermen
UlstermaninGlasgow
dublin_dave
Full Credit
Sin é
shantara
Comfort
GunsGerms
Feckless Rogue
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Tayto
George Carlin
rodders
red_stag
Boyne
MMC
74 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread - Page 3 Empty Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread

Post by MMC Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ireland:
1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best
3. Mike Ross
4. Donncha O'Callaghan
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Stephen Ferris
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Eoin Reddan
10. Jonathan Sexton
11. Keith Earls
12. Gordon D'Arcy
13. Brian O'Driscoll (c)
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Rob Kearney

Replacements:
16. Jerry Flannery
17. Tom Court
18. Donnacha Ryan
19. Denis Leamy
20. Conor Murray
21. Ronan O'Gara
22. Andrew Trimble

Australia:
15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
14. James O’Connor (Western Force)
13. Anthony Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
12. Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
11. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
8. Radike Samo (Queensland Reds)
7. David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies)
5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds, captain)
4. Dan Vickerman (NSW Waratahs)
3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)

Reserves:
16. Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)
17. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
18. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
19. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
20. Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds)
21. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
22. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)

COME ON IRELAND!!

littlejohn's thread about how we can beat the Wallabies:

littlejohn wrote:Would like to hear other people's views on what ireland need to do to have a chance of beating Australia this Saturday. Here are some of my naive thoughts on what needs to happen:

1. Ireland to play with same agression when they played England earlier this year. While ireland have not really performed since then, I'm quietly confident they'll be fired up for this game!

2. Steal some of Italy's tactics for the game. Italy did really well in the first half vs Oz by kicking very well timed up and unders (generally aimed at AAC), and they were very well organised in defence, which resulted in frustration creeping in for the Wallabies. If they had a decent 10 this might have been a lot closer!

3. Start with ROG - His tactical kicking and ability to vary it is in my opinion a better fit for this kind of game. We can always bring Sexton on later if we need to change tactics. I think he's also marginally better at kicking penalty and conversions.

4. Whereever Cooper is standing in defence run at him (ideally using O'Brien/Ferris) - Pretty obvious one this, although he does often stand deep covering full back off lineouts, etc.

5. Play Australia at their own game - Australia have been very good at putting pressure on rucks, but Ireland will need to do the same when Australia have the ball, slowing it down where possible to stop Genia getting into gear.

6. Leverage Bowe and Kearney's height - Cross field kicks (timed well) could reap rewards for us. Rog is excellent at this.

All in all I accept this will be a tall order, but Ireland play the underdog tag better than anyone! I'm praying it won't be yet another herioc defeat. Bring on Saturday!

Last edited by MMC on Thu 15 Sep 2011, 8:11 am; edited 3 times in total
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread

Post by Thomond Wed 14 Sep 2011, 8:05 am

D'Arcy. Oh sweet Jesus. Earls should be on the bench. I think we're capable of a big performance so Come on Ireland!!!!!

Last edited by Thomond on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread

Post by Glas a du Wed 14 Sep 2011, 8:05 am

Hmmmm. No open side. Stuck with Heaslip, D'arcy, BOD, Bowe and Earls on reputation not form. Might work.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 14 Sep 2011, 8:30 am

Yeah the Leamy call is a big one. Three 6's in the 22 Crying or Very sad

Gibbo
If Wallace is there to cover 10 only then what is McFadden there to cover?

Like i say i hope they come good but unfortunately i dont 'believe' anymore

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 14 Sep 2011, 8:40 am

When is the Aussie team announced?

Will they stick with Faingaa and put O'Connor on the wing for Ioane?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 14 Sep 2011, 8:46 am

They still have Drew Mitchell to come back in if they want as well. One thing i would say is that if we can kick as well as Semenzato we should be peppering AAC with up and unders (if he plays wing)

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 14 Sep 2011, 8:48 am

Have to say I am disappointed at the selection (again) of D'Arcy and the non-selection of Trimble. Beyond that I feel this is probably our strongest team.

Good to see him sticking with Sexton and starting with Reddan. Deccie is putting a lot of faith now on the Leinster first choice halves and midfielders. Time to deliver guys.

Jennings should be on the bench instead of Leamy and, if he isn't starting Trimble, then McFadden would have been my choice as he would provide better cover across the backs.

Time though to get right behind them again!! BELIEVE!! Leprechaun

Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Wed 14 Sep 2011, 8:49 am

Leaving out Trimble is an absolutely shocking decision from Kidney. He has been our best player in the last month by an absolute mile while Earls and Bowe have made several errors recently. Don't understand it. Deccie knows best I suppose from watching them training but Earls better repay the faith that Deccie has in him.

Surprised Murray has made the bench as well. He's gone from nothing to having the say in the last 20 minutes of Ireland's biggest match in four years. Quite a story, hope he makes it a happy ending.

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 14 Sep 2011, 8:50 am

What wing does AA Cooper play on? Is there any point in dropping high balls on him if he's going to be chased by Earls? Surely that's tactic would only be effective if he's on Bowe's side. You can't just boot the ball up there and hope the winger drops it, we have to be perpared to contest it.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 14 Sep 2011, 8:55 am

Mick

Im not sure but it isnt about nailing him when he lands it is about getting up and competing and forcing the knock on. That being said i take your point re Earls and im not sure of Reddans box kicking is good enough.

I would probably bring in Bieber on the wing and move AAC to 13. His pace will pose a realy problem for our centres.

Mrsuperclear
This team was picked before the scotland game imo with the possible exception of Reddan and David Wallace

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Wed 14 Sep 2011, 8:59 am

Standulstermen wrote:Mrsuperclear
This team was picked before the scotland game imo with the possible exception of Reddan and David Wallace

I'd like to think it wasn't after he made the big calls dropping Fitz and TOL from the entire squad which theoretically showed he adapted to players form. Obviously he would have had an idea of what his 22 would be but I'd hope that it wasn't set in stone. Anyway, it's irrelevant now whether it was or not. I'll just have to BELIEVE in the team we have guinness

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:01 am

The one thing we shouldn't be doing is kicking the ball away. If Ashley-Cooper is that poor under the high ball then Australia wouldn't be playing him.
I would have no problem with a couple of cross field kicks to Bowe but we will fair better if we can keep hold of the ball. Not kick it away.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:01 am

I think Wally would have started and TOL would have started had he shown any sign of form. I do believe this was picked then.

I HOPE we can find a performance and crush them

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:03 am

Rava wrote:The one thing we shouldn't be doing is kicking the ball away. If Ashley-Cooper is that poor under the high ball then Australia wouldn't be playing him.
I would have no problem with a couple of cross field kicks to Bowe but we will fair better if we can keep hold of the ball. Not kick it away.

Cant see AAC playing wing anyway so its a moot point. JOC will come in im sure.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidsnowman Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:06 am

Some of us, (rather insanely, optimistically and wishful thinkingly), have hoped against hope that Kidney has been hiding his hand and that these woeful performances over the last year (England in 6 Nations excepted) were not a true reflection of how good Ireland are.

NOW is the time to show our hand, this is it! I just hope we have something to show.

The back row have the potential to be outstanding, lets hope they prove to be at least as good as the sum of their parts.

My first post here - used to dabble a bit on BBC606

rapidsnowman

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:11 am

Standulstermen wrote:Yeah the Leamy call is a big one. Three 6's in the 22 Crying or Very sad

That is a big mistake I feel. Another schoolboy error by Kidney. I can't believe we are going to play against the side with the best openside in the world without an openside Doh .

I'd have had Cullen on the bench ahead of Ryan, who is not an international standard player in my opinion. That said, given the injury concerns about Ferris Ryan might be the safe option.

It seems D'arcy and O'Callaghan are undroppable and between those two and Leamy we have 3 of the worst players in International rugby right now in our match day 22. Those 3 were also going to get selected so there's no point even debating it.

Other than that no complaints. Trimble is unlucky but I don't think Earls has been as bad as made out. It's put up or shut up time for him though, after all the big talk inthe media during the week and if he wants to be a star then this is his chance. Kearney is the best in the world under the high ball so is the safest bet at full back but hopefully he'll get up and support in attack too.

I'm glad that Sexton gets the nod alongside Reddan. This game is made for those two and the way they play but it's time for Sexton to deliver the goods and put in one of his towering perfromances that he's capable off. He'll need to play a bit more controlled though because it sounds as if the weather won't be great.

Overall though, bar the lack of an openside, this is the strongest side we can put out so if we can't push the Australians with this side then we've no chance of a SF.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:11 am

rapidsnowman wrote:Some of us, (rather insanely, optimistically and wishful thinkingly), have hoped against hope that Kidney has been hiding his hand and that these woeful performances over the last year (England in 6 Nations excepted) were not a true reflection of how good Ireland are.

NOW is the time to show our hand, this is it! I just hope we have something to show.

The back row have the potential to be outstanding, lets hope they prove to be at least as good as the sum of their parts.

My first post here - used to dabble a bit on BBC606

Welcome to the conversation!

I’m going to live in blind optimism I think. Much nicer than the other way.

I think the choke tackle (or whatever name they’re giving it now) should be a tactic for us on Saturday. Hold their ball carrier up and force the maul. If there’s any area where we could gain an advantage (on paper) it’s in the scrum.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:17 am

Rava wrote:The one thing we shouldn't be doing is kicking the ball away. If Ashley-Cooper is that poor under the high ball then Australia wouldn't be playing him.

I agree 100%. We can't kick the ball away or the Australian will run it back and rip us apart.

Pocock would have had a field day against ROG so I'm glad Kidney has seen sanse and stuck with Sexton. My only concern is that Earls and Kearney tend to kick the ball away a lot.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:19 am

Leaving Trimble out? Our best player in the last month is stuck on the bench. Words genuinely fail me.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:35 am

roddersm wrote:

I agree 100%. We can't kick the ball away or the Australian will run it back and rip us apart.

Pocock would have had a field day against ROG so I'm glad Kidney has seen sanse and stuck with Sexton. My only concern is that Earls and Kearney tend to kick the ball away a lot.

Better add Trimble to that list as well. BOD probably kicks more than the whole lot of them put together.

V USA
Earls kicks the ball = 0
Trimble kicks the ball = 1

Against Scotland
Kearney kicks the ball = 0
Jones kicks the ball = 0

v France (Bordeaux) - earls in centre
Earls kicks the ball = 2
Trimble kicks the ball = 2
Kearney kicks the ball = 1
McFadden kicks the ball = 1 (wing)
Jones kicks the ball = 1

v France (Lansdown)
Trimble = 0
Earls = 0
Jones = 1

v England (Lansdowne)
Earls kicks the ball = 2 (earls in Centre)
Bowe kicks the ball = 0
Murphy kicks the ball = 2

How would Pocock have a field day against ROG. Surely it would be Rocky Elsom?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:38 am

WillyGilly wrote:Leaving Trimble out? Our best player in the last month is stuck on the bench. Words genuinely fail me.

It was between Trimble and Tommy Bowe on that wing - Earls is left on the other wing because he has been playing centre and knows all the centre lines of running so that he can interchange with BOD who it seems is not fully fit.

Trimble is unlucky to lose out, but I think both Bowe & Earls are better finishers than he is.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:40 am

WillyGilly wrote:Leaving Trimble out? Our best player in the last month is stuck on the bench. Words genuinely fail me.

I'm a massive fan of Earls. But if we're picking the team on form then there's no way Trimble can be left out. Bizarre decision. I genuinely thought he was just being rested against the USA. I do think it's more to do with BOD's fitness than anything else though - judging by how often he popped up in the centre on Sunday.

Finally we'll see Reddan and Sexton together for the first time in 6 internationals. It's about time. I've never been Reddan's biggest fan but surely this is the best halfback partnership we have.

No Jennings on the bench is a slight worry for me. Having said that, I question what sort of impact he could have based on what we've seen from him in an Ireland jersey so far.

I feel a bit aggrieved for Paddy Wallace. Surely he should be getting a look in ahead of D'Arcy. I can understand Kidney not playing McFadden due to his inexperience (if you're not going to trust him, why bring him over Fitzgerald?), but sticking with D'Arcy is folly IMO.

I like the look of the front row. Delighted that Healy is in there and with Court on the bench our scrum should stay strong for 80 minutes.
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:43 am

The D'arcy call is a massive one. The DOC and Earls ones less so. Leamy on the bench is a big call.

Kidney has backed these guys for the umpteenth time and he will carry the can if they dont deliver. In fairness they all owe him a performance

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:45 am

Just read that Fla has a calf strain. He's going for an MRI and Cronin will replace him if he's unfit. Hope Best lasts the 80 mins!!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:45 am

roddersm wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:Yeah the Leamy call is a big one. Three 6's in the 22 Crying or Very sad

It seems D'arcy and O'Callaghan are undroppable and between those two and Leamy we have 3 of the worst players in International rugby right now in our match day 22. Those 3 were also going to get selected so there's no point even debating it.

But Leamy was ranked the 7th best FORWARD in the Heineken Cup. Surely that is international class? Sean O'Brien was the only other Irish forward that was ranked above him (including Messrs. Heaslip & Jennings).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:49 am

Sin é wrote:
roddersm wrote:

But Leamy was ranked the 7th best FORWARD in the Heineken Cup. Surely that is international class? Sean O'Brien was the only other Irish forward that was ranked above him (including Messrs. Heaslip & Jennings).

You know that Ian Humrpies was ranked above O'Gara in that list too yeah? By your logic we should have him on the bench.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:49 am

Does Kidney get angry with the players after the bad matches. Does he shout and rave and make them watch the match back pointing out all their mistakes? I just noted the D'Arcy call as well. Looks to me like a classic case of players playing off reputations. Arguably the worst thing a coach can do.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:50 am

Mickado wrote:
Sin é wrote:
roddersm wrote:

You know that Ian Humrpies was ranked above O'Gara in that list too yeah? By your logic we should have him on the bench.

Would certainly make things more exciting

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:50 am

I feel sorry for Trimble as he has undoubtedly been our best player recently but at least Earls is a good replacement and can be moved if need be.

The selection that disappoints me is D'Arcy.

Exactly how badly does he have to play to be dropped?

He's been poor for Ireland for at least a year now and why would we believe Saturday will be any different?

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:53 am

Mickado wrote:Just read that Fla has a calf strain. He's going for an MRI and Cronin will replace him if he's unfit. Hope Best lasts the 80 mins!!

Not again! Crying or Very sad
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:54 am

Standulstermen wrote:The D'arcy call is a massive one. The DOC and Earls ones less so. Leamy on the bench is a big call.

Kidney has backed these guys for the umpteenth time and he will carry the can if they dont deliver. In fairness they all owe him a performance

Leamy covers No. 8 (he started against France in Bordeaux there) and actually put in a better performance than Heaslip has done since. Bearing in mind it was a Ryan/SOB/Leamy competing against France's first choice backrow with Dusautoir & Harinordoquy in it, I thought they did very well.

Against Scotland the Irish backrow was McCarthy/Ronan/Leamy again. Shane Jennings cannot cover either 6 or 8 (even if he was an international quality 7).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:56 am

Flannery is literally on his last legs it seems. This is the 6th game in a row that Kidney has changed his halfback pairing.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:58 am

Sin é wrote:But Leamy was ranked the 7th best FORWARD in the Heineken Cup.

Sin Dennis Leamy wouldn't even be the 7th best forward in the AIL, let alone the HEC.

ROG is a risk against Pocock because he isn't as strong in contact as Sexton and if Pocock scrags him or he is forced to take the tackle then he'll be turned over. Rog will therefore spend the match having to kick or pass the pressure onto a misfiring Irish midfield.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:59 am

Would be gutted for Fla if his injury problems re-emerged. Hope he is OK.

Nothing wrong with Leamy's performances in the HC last season and was one of the reasons I was shouting for his inclusion in the 6N team. However he just hasn't done it at International level and is behind 1F and SOB and to an extent Ryan. Crazy decision to favour him over Jennings for this game.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:00 am

Mickado wrote:
Sin é wrote:
roddersm wrote:

I'm not the one who thinks Heineken Cup rugby is a higher standard to international rugby. Problem with Ian Humphreys is a lack of consistency over the years and the fact that only very rare talents like Quade Cooper can be hidden out on the wings for defensive duties in international rugby.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:01 am

roddersm wrote:
Sin é wrote:But Leamy was ranked the 7th best FORWARD in the Heineken Cup.

Sin Dennis Leamy wouldn't even be the 7th best forward in the AIL, let alone the HEC.

ROG is a risk against Pocock because he isn't as strong in contact as Sexton and if Pocock scrags him or he is forced to take the tackle then he'll be turned over. Rog will therefore spend the match having to kick or pass the pressure onto a misfiring Irish midfield.

ROG would have been alright. Pocock would (and will) be too busy scragging Reddan.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:02 am

red_stag wrote:Flannery is literally on his last legs it seems. This is the 6th game in a row that Kidney has changed his halfback pairing.

Kindest thing to do then would be to lob off his testicles and shoot him in the head. Wouldn't want him as a pundit.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:02 am

Sin é wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:The D'arcy call is a massive one. The DOC and Earls ones less so. Leamy on the bench is a big call.

Leamy covers No. 8 (he started against France in Bordeaux there) and actually put in a better performance than Heaslip has done since. Bearing in mind it was a Ryan/SOB/Leamy competing against France's first choice backrow with Dusautoir & Harinordoquy in it, I thought they did very well.

Against Scotland the Irish backrow was McCarthy/Ronan/Leamy again. Shane Jennings cannot cover either 6 or 8 (even if he was an international quality 7).

Sin

We have a 4/6 in Ryan on the Bench, a 6/8 in Leamy on the bench. We have an out and out 6 in ferris in the team. A 6/8 playing at blindside and an out and out 8 in Heaslip. There is a bit of a number lacking in all that wouldnt you agree.

DOC is playing poorly, D'arcy is playing poorly. Sexton missed 11/12 point in his last game. He has left out his form player of the past month. These are not 'form' calls. They may well be the right calls at the end of the day (and i hope to God they are) but if the players dont repay his faith we may find ourselves in a similar situation to post RWC 2007 and Kidney will take a massive amount of flak

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:05 am

Sin é wrote:
I'm not the one who thinks Heineken Cup rugby is a higher standard to international rugby. Problem with Ian Humphreys is a lack of consistency over the years and the fact that only very rare talents like Quade Cooper can be hidden out on the wings for defensive duties in international rugby.

Sin if you are not going to apply your stats consistantly accross the board then don't fecking bring them up.

You either think the HEC stats are relevant or don't but if you are using it to argue Dennis Leamy's quality then you can't claim they are irrelevent when they don't support your opinion.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:06 am

red_stag wrote:Flannery is literally on his last legs it seems. This is the 6th game in a row that Kidney has changed his halfback pairing.

Another massive call!

If he has hid the Reddan/Sexton partnership and it works he will be labelled a genius!
If he has hid the Reddan/Sexton partnership and it doesnt work.... he will be vilified for a) not bringing in ROG and b) not playing Reddan/Sexton in any warm up.
If he hasnt selected the half backs together for another reason he will be vilified.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:08 am

roddersm wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Sin if you are not going to apply your stats consistantly accross the board then don't fecking bring them up.

You either think the HEC stats are relevant or don't but if you are using it to argue Dennis Leamy's quality then you can't claim they are irrelevent when they don't support your opinion.

Spot on Rodders

I would go as far as to say that if we go out in the pool stages it will be because of the lack of iHumph Tumbleweed

Last edited by Standulstermen on Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:09 am

Rava wrote:Would be gutted for Fla if his injury problems re-emerged. Hope he is OK.

Nothing wrong with Leamy's performances in the HC last season and was one of the reasons I was shouting for his inclusion in the 6N team. However he just hasn't done it at International level and is behind 1F and SOB and to an extent Ryan. Crazy decision to favour him over Jennings for this game.

Leamy is the only experienced international No. 8 backup and from recent performances (or lack) by Heislip, he may be brought on sooner rather than later.

I thought the Irish backrow in Bordeaux against France put up a much better show than the Irish backrow that featured in Lansdowne.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:11 am

And Jennings is the only 7 in the squad Sin.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:12 am

Sin é wrote:
Mickado wrote:
Sin é wrote:
roddersm wrote:

I know what the problem with Ian Humphries is, every Ulster poster on here knows why he's not at the world cup, i'm just discrediting your statistics. Keep up.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:13 am

Standulstermen wrote:
Another massive call!

If he has hid the Reddan/Sexton partnership and it works he will be labelled a genius!
If he has hid the Reddan/Sexton partnership and it doesnt work.... he will be vilified for a) not bringing in ROG and b) not playing Reddan/Sexton in any warm up.
If he hasnt selected the half backs together for another reason he will be vilified.

I don't think so. He's going with a tried and tested combination and putting his faith in Sexton, which is what people have been calling for. You can't chop and change your half backs after every sub par performance. It's not like the pack have been given Sexton an armchair ride lately either.

If Sexton and Reddan don't perform then I'll have no complaints. To be honest I think Murray is putting Reddan under more pressure than ROG is Sexton. Kidney should give ROG a run against Russia but unless Sexton badly loses form then I think Kidney should stick with him for the rest of the tournament.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:15 am

Can somebody tell me how Trimble played in the last game against England. Cause I thought he was average at best.

Earls played a great game in France and was ok against USA. If you want a player to unlock a defense then its Earls ahead of Trimble all the time for me.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:17 am

Standulstermen wrote:

I would go as far as to say that if we go out in the pool stages it will be because of the lack of iHumph Tumbleweed

err....um....well.....cough cough.... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:17 am

Sexton and Reddan have only played 15 minutes together in the last five games. What kind of preparation is that?

I like earls but he isn't performing whereas Trimble is so this for me is the most puzzling selection.

Obviously Darce hasn't played well in a long time but since kidney has been unwilling to give McFadden or anyone else game time here it's no surprise Darce gets the nod.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:17 am

Rodders

You say he cant chop and change his half backs yet the point was that this is the 6th game running in which he has done that. I to use Sin delightful example of experience at International level are Reddan/Sexton a proven international combination.

Against England yes. against SA and NZ in the AI's....... One game we are basing this 'proven international combo' on

My point isnt that it is the wrong pairing (i would have picked ROG though) but the fact that we are seeing it for the first time will either make Kidney a hero or a villain

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:18 am

roddersm wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Well, if Humphreys puts in another good show next season, maybe he will be there. He left it a bit late in his career to start performing well. Anyway, I don't think there was much between Humphreys & O'Gara.

Leamy has a couple of Heineken Cup medals to his name as well you know! Anyway, I was only taking the pee because we hear "so and so plays Heineken Cup rugby and he is brilliant".

I think some of you read far too much to Leamy being on the bench in the Magners Final. That was a trial to see if Donncha Ryan was up to being Quinnie's replacement and for him to stake a claim for a world cup spot. (Ryan thanked Tony McGahan in interview for helping him out and he also made it obvious that Leamy was the first choice No. 6 for Munster).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Wed 14 Sep 2011, 10:19 am

roddersm wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:
Another massive call!

I don't think so. He's going with a tried and tested combination and putting his faith in Sexton, which is what people have been calling for. You can't chop and change your half backs after every sub par performance. It's not like the pack have been given Sexton an armchair ride lately either.

If Sexton and Reddan don't perform then I'll have no complaints. To be honest I think Murray is putting Reddan under more pressure than ROG is Sexton. Kidney should give ROG a run against Russia but unless Sexton badly loses form then I think Kidney should stick with him for the rest of the tournament.

Sexton is a liability. I cant name on one head the good performances he has had for Ireland. Mr below average. Huge mistake by Deccie not to play ROG.

Leinsterbaby are they not club mates????? do not play and train together. How many excuses are people going to make for Sexton.

I see is losing to Australia with ROG starting against the BOKs (if we beat Italy).

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next