The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread

+70
Cari
Taylorman
emack2
Nos na Gaoithe
PJHolybloke
Breadvan
HURLEY_BURLEY
kiakahaaotearoa
Bujin
G2
Artful_Dodger
Notch
aucklandlaurie
JmD
Rob B
Rugby Uberlord
RDW
boomeranga
Goosestepper
mutememories
Pot Hale
Gatts
eirebilly
OzT
Submachine
Cymroglan
Jenifer McLadyboy
Feagh McHugh
Pal Joey
greybeard
littlejohn
Kingshu
MrsP
Don Alfonso
D24tress
clivemcl
akaredtop
BlueMuff
MunsterMac
WillyGilly
rapidsnowman
Rava
Glas a du
Mickado
Gibson
Bullsbok
logie28
The Great Aukster
Hookisms and Hyperbole
valjester
Taffineastbourne
mrsuperclear
Thomond
asoreleftshoulder
Standulstermen
UlstermaninGlasgow
dublin_dave
Full Credit
Sin é
shantara
Comfort
GunsGerms
Feckless Rogue
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Tayto
George Carlin
rodders
red_stag
Boyne
MMC
74 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread

Post by MMC Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ireland:
1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best
3. Mike Ross
4. Donncha O'Callaghan
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Stephen Ferris
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Eoin Reddan
10. Jonathan Sexton
11. Keith Earls
12. Gordon D'Arcy
13. Brian O'Driscoll (c)
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Rob Kearney

Replacements:
16. Jerry Flannery
17. Tom Court
18. Donnacha Ryan
19. Denis Leamy
20. Conor Murray
21. Ronan O'Gara
22. Andrew Trimble

Australia:
15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
14. James O’Connor (Western Force)
13. Anthony Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
12. Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
11. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
8. Radike Samo (Queensland Reds)
7. David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies)
5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds, captain)
4. Dan Vickerman (NSW Waratahs)
3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)

Reserves:
16. Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)
17. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
18. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
19. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
20. Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds)
21. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
22. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)

COME ON IRELAND!!

littlejohn's thread about how we can beat the Wallabies:

littlejohn wrote:Would like to hear other people's views on what ireland need to do to have a chance of beating Australia this Saturday. Here are some of my naive thoughts on what needs to happen:

1. Ireland to play with same agression when they played England earlier this year. While ireland have not really performed since then, I'm quietly confident they'll be fired up for this game!

2. Steal some of Italy's tactics for the game. Italy did really well in the first half vs Oz by kicking very well timed up and unders (generally aimed at AAC), and they were very well organised in defence, which resulted in frustration creeping in for the Wallabies. If they had a decent 10 this might have been a lot closer!

3. Start with ROG - His tactical kicking and ability to vary it is in my opinion a better fit for this kind of game. We can always bring Sexton on later if we need to change tactics. I think he's also marginally better at kicking penalty and conversions.

4. Whereever Cooper is standing in defence run at him (ideally using O'Brien/Ferris) - Pretty obvious one this, although he does often stand deep covering full back off lineouts, etc.

5. Play Australia at their own game - Australia have been very good at putting pressure on rucks, but Ireland will need to do the same when Australia have the ball, slowing it down where possible to stop Genia getting into gear.

6. Leverage Bowe and Kearney's height - Cross field kicks (timed well) could reap rewards for us. Rog is excellent at this.

All in all I accept this will be a tall order, but Ireland play the underdog tag better than anyone! I'm praying it won't be yet another herioc defeat. Bring on Saturday!

Last edited by MMC on Thu 15 Sep 2011, 8:11 am; edited 3 times in total
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread

Post by HURLEY_BURLEY Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:19 pm

I have a feeling Sexton will be King on Saturday. Then everything will be Hunky-Dory. We can all Skip(s) to the pub to celebrate for lots of chat and Waffle(s).
Except Tayto of course. Very Happy

HURLEY_BURLEY

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread

Post by rodders Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:20 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:
But if you´re a true supporter, you get behind the team and focus on the fact that the guys are all wearing the same jersey and that it doesn´t matter where the guys come from provincially. They´ve all been chosen to represent their country and on the day they´re all you´ve got between defeat and victory.

clap

Well said. If everyone in Irish rugby felt like that the world would be a better place. guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:24 pm

blimey! Love to see all you lot in a boozer talking about the Ireland team after a few/substantial amounts of guinness

Yikes Wink
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:28 pm

I prefer King's crisps anyway......

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:29 pm

Bit of light-hearted fun from Risteard on Matt Willams and Neil Francis. Its close to the bone as to how they operate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8o9KyFxppY
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:29 pm

Breadvan wrote:blimey! Love to see all you lot in a boozer talking about the Ireland team after a few/substantial amounts of guinness

Yikes Wink

We all got on really well in Limerick after the Magners League final in May. (Mind you we had to let the feckers win to keep the peace) Smile

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:37 pm

Gibson wrote:Bit of light-hearted fun from Risteard on Matt Willams and Neil Francis. Its close to the bone as to how they operate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8o9KyFxppY

Very Happy

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by shantara Fri 16 Sep 2011, 4:56 pm

I've just had the most marvellous lunch with an old Aussie friend. Needless to say all the talk was about tomorrows game. He's very confident that they will comfortably put us away.

It may have been that second bottle of claret, but I believe that we can actually win this. We have the team, we have the talent, we just need the passion, commitment and desire to destroy everything that is yellow before us tomorrow.

This might be a peed man's wish on a sunny Friday afternoon, but can we forget the provincial bias and all get behind our team.

In 1974 one of Ireland's greatest ever players led the Lions - Willie John McBride. Fingers crossed that in tomorrow's match our current generation will live by his words -

"We take no prisoners".

shantara

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 16 Sep 2011, 4:58 pm

Has there been a natural disaster down south or something? hello?

Just heard that Kieth Earls has sat out of the Captains Run for anyone who is still here...

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 16 Sep 2011, 5:33 pm

roddersm wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:
But if you´re a true supporter, you get behind the team and focus on the fact that the guys are all wearing the same jersey and that it doesn´t matter where the guys come from provincially. They´ve all been chosen to represent their country and on the day they´re all you´ve got between defeat and victory.

clap

Well said. If everyone in Irish rugby felt like that the world would be a better place. guinness

It's only really some clueless munster punters in my experience. For me Ireland always comes before province.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 16 Sep 2011, 5:43 pm

shantara wrote:I've just had the most marvellous lunch with an old Aussie friend. Needless to say all the talk was about tomorrows game. He's very confident that they will comfortably put us away.

It may have been that second bottle of claret, but I believe that we can actually win this. We have the team, we have the talent, we just need the passion, commitment and desire to destroy everything that is yellow before us tomorrow.

This might be a peed man's wish on a sunny Friday afternoon, but can we forget the provincial bias and all get behind our team.

In 1974 one of Ireland's greatest ever players led the Lions - Willie John McBride. Fingers crossed that in tomorrow's match our current generation will live by his words -

"We take no prisoners".

Love it! What rugby is all about. Jazz, rugby and convo. RedWine
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto Fri 16 Sep 2011, 5:44 pm

leinsterbaby wrote:
roddersm wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:

clap

It's only really some clueless munster punters in my experience. For me Ireland always comes before province.

Funny that Boyne's sidekick should turn up.
The second part of the old threesome.

Now sit down and have a good old think about some of the bile you posted on 606 with your previous username.
(for me Ireland always comes before province) laughing You little fibber.

Tayto

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 16 Sep 2011, 5:46 pm

clivemcl wrote:Has there been a natural disaster down south or something? hello?

Just heard that Kieth Earls has sat out of the Captains Run for anyone who is still here...

Ooh phook. I can feel Trimble starting, McFadden in and lots and lots of stats to follow.

Nah, I hope he's ok. Deccie picked him. Trusted him to shine and I hope he gets that chance. ONE Country!
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 16 Sep 2011, 5:47 pm

leinsterbaby wrote:
roddersm wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:

clap

I'm not sure if you realise the the irony of that comment. Smile

"Those one eyed Munster fans are awful eejits. Here in Leinster not only are we perfect but we are unbiased too"

I think you will find a roughly similar proportion of gobsh1tes in Leinster as you do in Munster. In fact I know of several Leinster fans who would unashamedly put Leinster before Ireland. And who am I to judge them just because I would put Ireland 1st. (or at least not have to make a choice because Leinster and Ireland never play eachother)

No rights and wrongs in supporting sport, only opinions.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto Fri 16 Sep 2011, 5:54 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
leinsterbaby wrote:
roddersm wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:

clap

I'm not sure if you realise the the irony of that comment. Smile

"Those one eyed Munster fans are awful eejits. Here in Leinster not only are we perfect but we are unbiased too"

I think you will find a roughly similar proportion of gobsh1tes in Leinster as you do in Munster. In fact I know of several Leinster fans who would unashamedly put Leinster before Ireland. And who am I to judge them just because I would put Ireland 1st. (or at least not have to make a choice because Leinster and Ireland never play eachother)

No rights and wrongs in supporting sport, only opinions.

clap clap clap clap clap

You will find there are 3/4 of the Leinster group on here that fall into that catergory.
When people's opinions are ridiculed and insults levelled at you then you know what kind of so called IRISH supporter you are dealing with.

Tayto

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 16 Sep 2011, 5:59 pm

Complete gobshoites are pretty evenly spread around the world.

I've decided I'm not gonna mention the words "Munster" or "Leinster" for the rest of the World Cup after this post.

Oh by the way, why is "Munster" recognised by the spell checker as a correct word, but "Leinster" gets a big red line under it as if it's a spelling mistake. Grrrrr. The spell checker is biased. Was probably designed by someone from Cork. Working in Dublin no doubt.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 16 Sep 2011, 6:13 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Complete gobshoites are pretty evenly spread around the world.

I've decided I'm not gonna mention the words "Munster" or "Leinster" for the rest of the World Cup after this post.

Oh by the way, why is "Munster" recognised by the spell checker as a correct word, but "Leinster" gets a big red line under it as if it's a spelling mistake. Grrrrr. The spell checker is biased. Was probably designed by someone from Cork. Working in Dublin no doubt.

Laugh Laugh Laugh

Goys. Lids. Lawwwds. Laaads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAmn4eMusZk

Lennon = Leinster = Inventive and wayward.
McCartney = Munster = Solid and never stops till that bell rings.
Harrison = Ulster = bit of both.
Ringo = Connacht = Drumming in the background - but a key supplier.

But, when they came together.... best team ever seen or heard. And we are playing the Bee-Gees and Kylie tomorrow. I mean. NO chance. They have NO chance.
I could have done it with U2, but Bono is a t8at!

Believe!
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 16 Sep 2011, 6:57 pm

Tayto wrote:
leinsterbaby wrote:
roddersm wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:

clap

Funny that Boyne's sidekick should turn up.
The second part of the old threesome.

Now sit down and have a good old think about some of the bile you posted on 606 with your previous username.
(for me Ireland always comes before province) laughing You little fibber.

Vassever. GunsGerms lives on in me. Tis true. When our forces combine we become Ireland super supporter.

By the way has there been any discussion who will defend 10 channel now that Digby is out? Hopefully Cooper himself will. That would be fun.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 16 Sep 2011, 6:59 pm

Who the feck cares about all this tripe from the old place,would you stop the b!tching and get behind the team?! People are entitled to give out about someone if he doesn't play well, a Munster fan can have a cut off any player,so can any other of the provinces,would you just cut out the rubbish?!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:01 pm

Thomond wrote:Who the feck cares about all this tripe from the old place,would you stop the b!tching and get behind the team?! People are entitled to give out about someone if he doesn't play well, a Munster fan can have a cut off any player,so can any other of the provinces,would you just cut out the rubbish?!

What the f are on about? Make sense man. Tell me who is defending 10 for Oz.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:01 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRrMP4jShx4&feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OJgw2Z3k0I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMSn2hwC7Mg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaDz4rGMdVM&feature=related

Yahoo YahooYahooYahoo

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:03 pm

I'm sick of the sh!t that goes on in every Irish thread is what I'm saying. I think McCabe or Faingaa might go in there.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:04 pm

I hope that OBrien smashes Poo man sausage tomorrow. Come on Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:05 pm

Well that really ruined my amazing post.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:06 pm

Good night lads. Im off out to get smashed and party until KO tomorrow because my wife and kids are away. Hope you all enjoy the match.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:17 pm

...Not quite mike tindal style but a good lads night. Yes!

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:19 pm

Lay off the dwarves leinsterbaby guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:23 pm

On the Luas but switched up to the iPhone now so I can keep an eye on yous. I'll keep my mitts off the dwarfs promise.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:31 pm

Actually that's dwarves isn't it?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:42 pm

Lovin de vids Rodders. Have a great night Baby. Roide an Aussie will ya? We wont tell. Honest.

Im sayin this now. I said it before the SLAM and 2 HC Wins.

Ireland are going to wake up tomorrow and beat Oz.

Believe!
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 16 Sep 2011, 7:57 pm

I might do the motorboating but I'll draw the line on the ride. Cheers though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 16 Sep 2011, 8:09 pm

Baby,
I didn't mean a woman, You're happily married. I meant a man.

Carry on.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 16 Sep 2011, 9:52 pm

Ok gibbo I'll do me besht

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:50 pm

C'mon ye jolly green giants!

Ireland by 9 - it has to be, I've picked it on Sport Guru. Very Happy
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:52 pm

PJHolybloke wrote:C'mon ye jolly green giants!

Ireland by 9 - it has to be, I've picked it on Sport Guru. Very Happy

Ireland can do it, but you'll need early domination up front and Sexton and BOD to actually turn up

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:53 pm

That would help Gatts. In fact, we all have to turn up to even push Oz close. It's my team of choice to win it. Has been for years now. (Ireland for a SF would do me) Oz are World Champs designate. The AB's will fall to a lesser side. Like England. And France could have em in the Pool. Now wouldn't that be fun eh?

Redefine it all after that - if it happens. NZ would go into paranoic melt-down.

Be great craic to watch though. In fairness. guinness

I can see England in the Final.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:07 am

Prices on the New Zealand TAB:
Australia $1.15.
Ireland $5.00.....Head to Head..

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:35 am

Gibson wrote:That would help Gatts. In fact, we all have to turn up to even push Oz close. It's my team of choice to win it. Has been for years now. (Ireland for a SF would do me) Oz are World Champs designate. The AB's will fall to a lesser side. Like England. And France could have em in the Pool. Now wouldn't that be fun eh?

Redefine it all after that - if it happens. NZ would go into paranoic melt-down.

England were my bolter for the final for ages but i think Aussies might make it after Eng semi

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:11 am

Gatts wrote:
Gibson wrote:That would help Gatts. In fact, we all have to turn up to even push Oz close. It's my team of choice to win it. Has been for years now. (Ireland for a SF would do me) Oz are World Champs designate. The AB's will fall to a lesser side. Like England. And France could have em in the Pool. Now wouldn't that be fun eh?

England were my bolter for the final for ages but i think Aussies might make it after Eng semi

OK thats phhoked that predicted theory. But, we don't know who will top their respective groups yet. What if Scotland beat Argentina and then England? They could. All 3 are nothing special. What if France beat NZ in their pool? What if Samoa beat Wales? And the Saffers? That would shift so many equations somewhat.

I'd love it if all that happened. Some of it may. I personally - hope it does.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:25 am

Pocock out! Its official:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/rugby-gold/david-pocock-out-of-ireland-showdown/story-fn8ouw0e-1226139644486

And our chances of causing an upset just doubled... SOB will be facing an equally untested and inexperienced openside.

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:26 am

Boom. Ireland by 10 now.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:31 am

WillyGilly wrote:Boom. Ireland by 10 now.

Well it certainly evens things up... but it may also remove any complacency or overconfidence that might have been there for the Australians. They know their in for a real fight now.

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:37 am

Nos na Gaoithe wrote: Well it certainly evens things up... but it may also remove any complacency or overconfidence that might have been there for the Australians. They know their in for a real fight now.

Translation: Boom. Ireland by 5.
Run

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:46 am

Kick for position. keep it tight don`t kick any stupid balls down there throats
kick you goals.Then you are in with a chance.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:48 am

OK, Ok. That's where we would have lost it. Without Jennings. Now, we have a realistic chance. All ball-carriers vs ball-carriers in the backrow.

Grand.

Ooooooooooooooh!

BELIEVE!
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:52 am

blimey....that makes it very interesting as ire should now comfortably dominate the tackle area...unmissable game. Far too early to predict the winner, i am going to wait until 79 minutes because this will be very very tight.

If Ire win their group then they get Wales/Samoa/Fiji not SA so they will be well up for it

and get o gara on as soon as sexton misses 2 kicks

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:00 am

Phook O Gara. Maybe to wet his toes at 78 mins. We don't need him now. Without Pocock, Oz are so vunerable in the key area. SOB and the Leinster boys to run riot after securing the breakdown and moving it.

Its over. Leinster (Ireland) by 15.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:07 am

Gibson wrote:Phook O Gara. Maybe to wet his toes at 78 mins. We don't need him now. Without Pocock, Oz are so vunerable in the key area. SOB and the Leinster boys to run riot after securing the breakdown and moving it.

Its over. Leinster (Ireland) by 15.

Don't whatever you do bring him on in the last few minutes as an impact player, he will give away a match winning pen, quite an impact

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:13 am

Gibson wrote:Without Pocock, Oz are so vunerable in the key area. SOB and the Leinster boys to run riot after securing the breakdown and moving it. Its over. Leinster (Ireland) by 15.

Gibbo you been on the bubbly already? Bubbly Rocky on his own still wldn't be that easy! And we need to take baby steps first (like not dropping the ball every 3rd phase).

But i am licking my lips at the thought of the Tullow tank now being let off the leash a bit more with Ferris right there on his shoulder for the lay off!

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:15 am

Yeah Gatts. True. The Lion who lost a series. I'm with ya there.

He's handy backup though.

Phhhok me, Im feeling we are in possible game winning situation here. I didn't before to be honest. Oz are superb. But now... the pendulum has swung. The breakdown, would always define how this game went. SOB is not a 7. But neither is his oppo now.

Its game on!
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next