The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread

+70
Cari
Taylorman
emack2
Nos na Gaoithe
PJHolybloke
Breadvan
HURLEY_BURLEY
kiakahaaotearoa
Bujin
G2
Artful_Dodger
Notch
aucklandlaurie
JmD
Rob B
Rugby Uberlord
RDW
boomeranga
Goosestepper
mutememories
Pot Hale
Gatts
eirebilly
OzT
Submachine
Cymroglan
Jenifer McLadyboy
Feagh McHugh
Pal Joey
greybeard
littlejohn
Kingshu
MrsP
Don Alfonso
D24tress
clivemcl
akaredtop
BlueMuff
MunsterMac
WillyGilly
rapidsnowman
Rava
Glas a du
Mickado
Gibson
Bullsbok
logie28
The Great Aukster
Hookisms and Hyperbole
valjester
Taffineastbourne
mrsuperclear
Thomond
asoreleftshoulder
Standulstermen
UlstermaninGlasgow
dublin_dave
Full Credit
Sin é
shantara
Comfort
GunsGerms
Feckless Rogue
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Tayto
George Carlin
rodders
red_stag
Boyne
MMC
74 posters

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down

Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread - Page 13 Empty Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread

Post by MMC Tue 13 Sep 2011, 3:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ireland:
1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best
3. Mike Ross
4. Donncha O'Callaghan
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Stephen Ferris
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Eoin Reddan
10. Jonathan Sexton
11. Keith Earls
12. Gordon D'Arcy
13. Brian O'Driscoll (c)
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Rob Kearney

Replacements:
16. Jerry Flannery
17. Tom Court
18. Donnacha Ryan
19. Denis Leamy
20. Conor Murray
21. Ronan O'Gara
22. Andrew Trimble

Australia:
15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
14. James O’Connor (Western Force)
13. Anthony Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
12. Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
11. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
8. Radike Samo (Queensland Reds)
7. David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies)
5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds, captain)
4. Dan Vickerman (NSW Waratahs)
3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)

Reserves:
16. Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)
17. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
18. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
19. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
20. Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds)
21. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
22. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)

COME ON IRELAND!!

littlejohn's thread about how we can beat the Wallabies:

littlejohn wrote:Would like to hear other people's views on what ireland need to do to have a chance of beating Australia this Saturday. Here are some of my naive thoughts on what needs to happen:

1. Ireland to play with same agression when they played England earlier this year. While ireland have not really performed since then, I'm quietly confident they'll be fired up for this game!

2. Steal some of Italy's tactics for the game. Italy did really well in the first half vs Oz by kicking very well timed up and unders (generally aimed at AAC), and they were very well organised in defence, which resulted in frustration creeping in for the Wallabies. If they had a decent 10 this might have been a lot closer!

3. Start with ROG - His tactical kicking and ability to vary it is in my opinion a better fit for this kind of game. We can always bring Sexton on later if we need to change tactics. I think he's also marginally better at kicking penalty and conversions.

4. Whereever Cooper is standing in defence run at him (ideally using O'Brien/Ferris) - Pretty obvious one this, although he does often stand deep covering full back off lineouts, etc.

5. Play Australia at their own game - Australia have been very good at putting pressure on rucks, but Ireland will need to do the same when Australia have the ball, slowing it down where possible to stop Genia getting into gear.

6. Leverage Bowe and Kearney's height - Cross field kicks (timed well) could reap rewards for us. Rog is excellent at this.

All in all I accept this will be a tall order, but Ireland play the underdog tag better than anyone! I'm praying it won't be yet another herioc defeat. Bring on Saturday!

Last edited by MMC on Thu 15 Sep 2011, 8:11 am; edited 3 times in total
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread

Post by Gatts Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:18 am

Bar the Welsh backrow which i am very proud of, i think a Ferris heaslip SOB back row is great and should get you the extra inch up front. No pocock is a huge loss, must be a real injury and not a NZ injury!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread

Post by Gibson Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:20 am

Nos na Gaoithe wrote:
Gibson wrote:Without Pocock, Oz are so vunerable in the key area. SOB and the Leinster boys to run riot after securing the breakdown and moving it. Its over. Leinster (Ireland) by 15.

Gibbo you been on the bubbly already? Bubbly Rocky on his own still wldn't be that easy! And we need to take baby steps first (like not dropping the ball every 3rd phase).

But i am licking my lips at the thought of the Tullow tank now being let off the leash a bit more with Ferris right there on his shoulder for the lay off!

Nos,
Phhooking right I have mo chara. And you are drinkin tae? This is no time for tae. Be a man and get razzed-up. Support yer country ya bollix. zen

It will be closer man. A lot closer than it would have been.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:25 am

Gatts. We dream of a Warburton. He is excellent. He is yer future. As is Falateau. And Lydiate.

Fact is, Welsh backrow is the best Ive seen so far. They tortured the Saffers. Who else does that?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Nos na Gaoithe Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:28 am

Gibson wrote: And you are drinkin tae? This is no time for tae. Be a man and get razzed-up. Support yer country ya bollix. zen It will be closer man. A lot closer than it would have been.

If I hadnt had that tea I wouldnt be staring at this fecking screen at 2.30 in the morning!

Closer it will be. It should hopefully mean front foot football for the first time in months for BOD and the rest of them. Everything is different on the front foot. Balls stay in hand, rehersed moves come off much easier and gaps are easier to see.

All's changed... changed utterly... Hug

Nos na Gaoithe

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:34 am

I lied Nos. Im drinkin tae... with a suspicion of genever gin and a spliff. Just to calm me da phhok down. Its like Chrisrmas Eve as a kid.

Need to crash out and get the energy levels up before the morn.

Nite lads.

BELIEVE!
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 17 Sep 2011, 3:00 am

Yes very interesting. 2 out of the 5 stars down for Oz. Genia, Cooper and JOC left. Oz have added some valuable support but this will hurt them big time.
I'd expect the Irish loosies to dominate the breakdowns and put pressure on Elsom and Samo while theyre making up for Pococks absence.

Who is Pococks replacement?

Exactly the scenario Deans was trying to avoid by playing the same team through the 3N and beyond.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 17 Sep 2011, 11:13 am

PJHolybloke wrote:C'mon ye jolly green giants!

Ireland by 9 - it has to be, I've picked it on Sport Guru. Very Happy

Well, well, well. Who'd have thought it! Very Happy
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 17 Sep 2011, 11:35 am

PJ,I had us by 4 but you're well and truly a genius,only overshadowed by one Declan Kidney. He put a master plan in place whereby we would lose 4 games on the trot and play the 3N champions with no momentum. clap

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:25 pm

Declan's the man Thomond and no doubt about it.

What a fantastic performance by all the boys, defensively monumental!!

OK clap
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:27 pm

Still haven't gone to bed yet. Epic

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

Fair play to ROG he took it down. Dissapointed with Jonny but his tackling was really good.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:04 pm

feic i still can't believe Ireland did it - that was a tense game! I was joking with some lads this morning that we could still end up playing south africa in the quarters!

bonus for me was a 5 quid bet on healy to be motm, which i won at 50/1.

savage, savage performance - hope we have a few more of them in the tank.

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:52 pm

littlejohn wrote:feic i still can't believe Ireland did it - that was a tense game! I was joking with some lads this morning that we could still end up playing south africa in the quarters!

bonus for me was a 5 quid bet on healy to be motm, which i won at 50/1.

savage, savage performance - hope we have a few more of them in the tank.

And what would you be spending your winnings on littlejohn? A small glass of sherry perhaps?
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:55 pm

People in the UK: there's highlights of today's games on ITV at 4:30pm and again on ITV4 at 8pm - just so you can take it all in...

Last edited by Cari on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:57 pm

Thomond wrote:PJ,I had us by 4 but you're well and truly a genius,only overshadowed by one Declan Kidney. He put a master plan in place whereby we would lose 4 games on the trot and play the 3N champions with no momentum. clap

I bow to Kidneys brilliance, Wales have tried this tactic for years but we also lose to the bigger teams as well as the smaller ones. Headscratch

Well done to Ireland, hope you guys do well in the world Cup, unless you meet Wales in the quarters of course Wink.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 17 Sep 2011, 3:05 pm

Cari wrote:People in the UK: there's highlights of today's games on ITV at 4:30pm and again on ITV4 at 8pm - just so you can take it all in...

I might have to make room in my diary to watch both of those Cari, you're right, it was too tense to take it all in this morning the last 10 minutes was a head-masher. OK
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 17 Sep 2011, 3:15 pm

Wow! I missed the match since I was on an overnight flight last night into this mornng. Recorded the match and it just finished. Not a lot to say, except WOW! Couldn't be happier for the boys in green.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 19 Sep 2011, 12:00 am

Funny link of Irish fans outside Eden Park before the game even kicked off. I wonder what they were like after the win. Wish I was there.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 19 Sep 2011, 1:03 pm

Am I the only Rugby fan who thought the game was dull, both teams lacked passion and basic handling skills.

but well played anyway!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 19 Sep 2011, 1:09 pm

Yes Hersh. You stand alone in that opinion. But, its cool to be an individual. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 19 Sep 2011, 1:14 pm

HERSH wrote:Am I the only Rugby fan who thought the game was dull, both teams lacked passion and basic handling skills.

Unfortunately Hersh not every game has the quality and passion of England vs Georgia or England vs Argentina.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Mon 19 Sep 2011, 1:27 pm

Belatedly, just wanted to add my congrats to Ireland, superb result.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:27 am

what a sporting weekend. was actually too hungover to type yesterday for obvious reasons

An absolutely massive win for Ireland. Credit to players and management. The level of intensity was phenomenal. Why oh why can we not replicate that on a more consistent basis. Will not matter a jot if we get to the semi finals though- we have now given ourselves a major chance

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13