The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather Has Become Intimidator In Chief!!!

+16
supremeboxingskills
The Money Man
Fists of Fury
Sugar Floyd Louis
Bob
ShahenshahG
Scottrf
ONETWOFOREVER
zx1234
TechInept
Rowley
AlexHuckerby
Neutral Corner
Jimmy Stuart
BALTIMORA
azumah HOF
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mayweather Has Become Intimidator In Chief!!! Empty Mayweather Has Become Intimidator In Chief!!!

Post by azumah HOF Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:45 am

Floyd doesn't scare or get to boxers before the fight, like a Mike Tyson or Sonny Liston. However once inside the ring opponents very quickly become intimidated by the sheer realisation of the task infront of them, and the realisation that they didnt quite expect this.

Ortiz like so many recent Floyd foes goes in there and get shocked. They are shocked by the recent physical dominace of Floyd in there, he has become a supremely physically imposing fighter (perhaps he should be tested.... oh i forgot he is the most tested sportsman in the world!!! oops). Simultaneously they are furstrated like hell by the conundrum that is the Mayweather defence ....... 'all he is doing is hiding behind a shoulder!!!, i should be able to hit this guy, i should be all over him!!!'
Ortiz was completely finished mentally by the end of round two. Not physically but mentally. Fustrated and knowing he was gonna take a lopsided beating and probable KO. The headbutt didnt surprise, as Ortiz (who lies about his life story) is and will always be mentally fragile when under pressure.
Floyd was rightly angry and took instant revenge, it was up to the other fighter to be ready to fight. Cortez said lets go!, the boxer takes care of himself in the ring! I am sure Berto hit Ortiz with bigger shots but he got back up..... i wonder why he didn't get back up this time!!!

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Mayweather Has Become Intimidator In Chief!!! Empty Re: Mayweather Has Become Intimidator In Chief!!!

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:51 am

It's not always about how big the shots are though. I didn't see the fight, just the ending and post interview, but from that I lost respect for Ortiz because of how little he seemed to he bothered about the result. His demeanor didn't seem to be that of a guy who lost.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Mayweather Has Become Intimidator In Chief!!! Empty Re: Mayweather Has Become Intimidator In Chief!!!

Post by azumah HOF Sun 18 Sep 2011, 10:08 am

BALTIMORA wrote:It's not always about how big the shots are though. I didn't see the fight, just the ending and post interview, but from that I lost respect for Ortiz because of how little he seemed to he bothered about the result. His demeanor didn't seem to be that of a guy who lost.

Very good point my friend.... lets also add that his corner was not up in uproar. Infact he was like a litlle fan on his stool after the fight as Floyd rubbed his head and spoketo him, and he came and hugged Floyd at the beginning of the interview with Merchant. He knew he was beat and he knew he had already given up on this mentally. Garcia in his corner who talked a good fight also knew it thats why he didnt pipe up! Only when he realises the tack that Merchant and HBO are taking does he start to attempt to give a shameful lie of an excuse, saying the headbutt wasnt intentional and Floyd kind just found his head!!! Rididculous!
I like the fact Floyd finished this in a no nonsense throwback way, this was Jack Johnson, no gloves... if you foul me you pay... End Off!

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Stuart Sun 18 Sep 2011, 10:11 am

Morning Gents

just watched the fight via my sons laptop, he assures me it was legal.

Although I'm not Floyds biggest fan in the slightest, I agree with Azumah, seems to me Floyd is a strong welterweight man and has more purchase on his punches than many give him credit for. Ortiz was running out of ideas, one thing I did notice and Floyd is very clever it he traps his opponent lead arm on the inside and holds a strong referee would be in his rights to deduct points, but if you're successful and can get away with it I don't have a problem. As for the finish Cortez looks more dithering and confused than myself these days, time for the retirement shelter, it was a cheap shot, but as Azumah says think Ortiz was mighty relieved and had mentally accepted his fate.

cheers

Jimmy Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutral Corner Sun 18 Sep 2011, 10:13 am

Jimmy

Buncey gave your comment a shout out last night! Just in case you were not already aware.

Neutral Corner

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Stuart Sun 18 Sep 2011, 10:19 am

Morning Neutral

I had no idea, I imagine he highlighted the poor spelling and grammar first.Thanks for letting me know that mate, hope it didn't spoil the viewing for you fellas.

Jimmy Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 18 Sep 2011, 10:28 am

I have to admit I've grown to admire Mayweather for his strictly business-like approach to in-ring proceedings. Ortiz displayed a couple of things of importance: firstly, his naiveté and secondly his lack of focus/mental frailty.

Interestingly Ortiz's losing performances all seem to demonstrate a similar theme of lack of appropriate attitude. He was disqualified (ironically for an illegal blow), he quit, and last night he'd resorted to fouling and wasn't fully focussed.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Sep 2011, 10:37 am

did anyone think it seemed a tad surreal when they were talking about 606v2 - anyway i think youre right azumah and the fact that they dont prepare for him being tough as nails as they seem to think of him as just a slick boxer is possibly even more intimidating. you cant hit him and he hits back hard not a good combo... he looked stronger than mosley which was suprising and his chin whilst clearly good is also probably underrated he just pretty much never has to have it tested. the fact he does so much work with neck weights and is in the most remarkable condition and has the mentality to take the shots if he has to makes me think he is a seriously tough SOB but would never have the real opportuoity to get that tag

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 18 Sep 2011, 10:42 am

BALTIMORA wrote:I have to admit I've grown to admire Mayweather for his strictly business-like approach to in-ring proceedings. Ortiz displayed a couple of things of importance: firstly, his naiveté and secondly his lack of focus/mental frailty.

Interestingly Ortiz's losing performances all seem to demonstrate a similar theme of lack of appropriate attitude. He was disqualified (ironically for an illegal blow), he quit, and last night he'd resorted to fouling and wasn't fully focussed.

Got to agree Re Ortiz Balti, that just all struck as bizarree most fighters are gutted when they lose, even more so when the circumstances could be considered controversial. Victor was grinning like a Chesire cat. For a fighter who still has a slight stench attached to him for the Maidana fight is hardly likely endear him to the critics.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:01 am

agree and i also see possible lies in his storyline about his background lots of things that contradicts his tales

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:06 am

You've got to think Ortiz thought this was the best way out. He didn't have to endure another 8 rounds of being outclassed, he will probably get a rematch and alot of people will overlook the fact he was getting beaten and just blame Floyd and the ref for 'ruining' the fight.

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:07 am

I'm with you on that rowley. He's done nothing last night to dispel the image of a guy with a big question mark hanging over his head. He received a huge backlash for quitting against Maidana, he was held to a draw against Peterson despite putting him down twice (in fact the only scorecard which wasn't a draw had Peterson winning!), and while he impressed and raised his stock in beating Berto, his intentional butting last night left a nasty taste in my mouth and no doubt in the mouths of a great many others.

Seems Ortiz still has some growing up to do, because his shrugging and grinning after losing last night suggests a fighter who lacks discipline and focus.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:09 am

you really think a rematch will happen? it just seems pointless

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:09 am

TechInept wrote:You've got to think Ortiz thought this was the best way out. He didn't have to endure another 8 rounds of being outclassed, he will probably get a rematch and alot of people will overlook the fact he was getting beaten and just blame Floyd and the ref for 'ruining' the fight.

If you look on YouTube and on some of the boxing news sites that's precisely what's happening, and I'll give you three guesses what type of people are saying those things.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:12 am

BALTIMORA wrote:I'm with you on that rowley. He's done nothing last night to dispel the image of a guy with a big question mark hanging over his head. He received a huge backlash for quitting against Maidana, he was held to a draw against Peterson despite putting him down twice (in fact the only scorecard which wasn't a draw had Peterson winning!), and while he impressed and raised his stock in beating Berto, his intentional butting last night left a nasty taste in my mouth and no doubt in the mouths of a great many others.

Seems Ortiz still has some growing up to do, because his shrugging and grinning after losing last night suggests a fighter who lacks discipline and focus.
or does he truly care? i know id be distraught losing the biggest fight of my life... then again everyone reacts differently...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:17 am

ortiz reaction was a bit fishy, he doesn't really deserve a rematch really maybe he is being lined up with berto again and a chance to become world champ again

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:17 am

I told everyone on here that "Once a quitter, ALWAYS A QUITTER" Ortiz showed that against Maidana the ring never lies. It has a way of exposing the truth. Ortiz found out again. The head but was intentional even though he claimed it was an accident after the fight another lie from Ortiz. He eat a good amount of leather in that round and just needed a way out of the stark reality that Floyd was just too damn good and hits hard to.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:18 am

You'd think he'd be angry with himself for allowing such a basic error cost him his chance, because when all said and done anything COULD have happened in the remaining eight rounds. TechInept has it about right when he says that Ortiz probably figures this result is one of the best he could hope for, other than a winning one.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:24 am

sad really when you consider all the overcoming adversity bs he was talking about shades of lies

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:24 am

Seen some intial reports of the post fight press conference with Ortiz chatting crap.... the boy is is a mentally disturbed and fragile kid. no doubt he folded when he realised he wouldn't win, now he is apparently grinning and giggling and babbling some nonsense
http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content10797.html?PHPSESSID=0c7c6c3fc16bcff45097af67fcf393c6

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:27 am

Another thing that impresses me is how comfortable Floyd is around a big fight. Seems more concerned about timing his walk with the music than his opponent.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:29 am

BALTIMORA wrote:

Definitely, also shows again (like against Maidana) he doesn't mind losing. I know he's made millions from this fight and is basically set for life, so it probably is hard to be to gutted, but you'd like to see a bit of frustration! This was supposed to be his big opportunity which has just been wrestled out of his hands by such a stupid mistake - but none of it! He had the air of a footballer who missed an open goal after they're 4-0 up.

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:40 am

Scottrf wrote:Another thing that impresses me is how comfortable Floyd is around a big fight. Seems more concerned about timing his walk with the music than his opponent.

yes this quality is very reminscent of Ali/Clay. He also like Floyd just seemed very comfy with being in the squared circle and all the hype surrounding the fight. they both love the drama and entertainment and can focus on it and truly believe they should contribute to it. Clay was unperturbed about going in with a murderous guy like Liston and Ali similarly with Foreman. Instead he was absorbed with the making the pre fight as entertaining as possible, whilst his corner were petrified!

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:46 am

I must admit that I'm not of the mind that quitting is always the worst thing in the world. In this sport there are sadly too many examples of people who didn't know when to quit, so I do try to keep that in mind to balance my viewpoint, but he's certainly given the impression that he's not in this sport for what we as spectators would consider to be the right reasons, ie to win. There's nothing wrong with a boxer accepting a defeat and admitting the better man won, but Ortiz showed a disappointing lack of concern which is exacerbated by the fact that this was in all likelihood the largest occasion of his professional life.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:48 am

True but one thing you are missing out is that he is an immature kid. His grinning etc could be just a defence mechanism. He will probably go home and hide his grief. It may just simply be that his immaturity and naivety doesn't let him realise how he is coming across to the media and the fans.

I don't disagree with the notion that he fades when tested beyond his own comfort zone.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:49 am

azumah HOF wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Another thing that impresses me is how comfortable Floyd is around a big fight. Seems more concerned about timing his walk with the music than his opponent.

yes this quality is very reminscent of Ali/Clay. He also like Floyd just seemed very comfy with being in the squared circle and all the hype surrounding the fight. they both love the drama and entertainment and can focus on it and truly believe they should contribute to it. Clay was unperturbed about going in with a murderous guy like Liston and Ali similarly with Foreman. Instead he was absorbed with the making the pre fight as entertaining as possible, whilst his corner were petrified!
You also have to love them in the corner after the second round vs Mosley. Not a care in the world, not contemplating losing just dominating the rest of the fight.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:54 am

BALTIMORA wrote:I must admit that I'm not of the mind that quitting is always the worst thing in the world. In this sport there are sadly too many examples of people who didn't know when to quit, so I do try to keep that in mind to balance my viewpoint, but he's certainly given the impression that he's not in this sport for what we as spectators would consider to be the right reasons, ie to win. There's nothing wrong with a boxer accepting a defeat and admitting the better man won, but Ortiz showed a disappointing lack of concern which is exacerbated by the fact that this was in all likelihood the largest occasion of his professional life.

Got to add its not really the quitting, i guess its the way you go about quitting!

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:55 am

ShahenshahG wrote:True but one thing you are missing out is that he is an immature kid. His grinning etc could be just a defence mechanism. He will probably go home and hide his grief. It may just simply be that his immaturity and naivety doesn't let him realise how he is coming across to the media and the fans.

I don't disagree with the notion that he fades when tested beyond his own comfort zone.

True, it could be a sign of immaturity but I hope for his sake he realises the negative impact that kind of behaviour can have on his career. It doesn't endear him to the fans very much.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:56 am

ShahenshahG wrote:True but one thing you are missing out is that he is an immature kid. His grinning etc could be just a defence mechanism. He will probably go home and hide his grief. It may just simply be that his immaturity and naivety doesn't let him realise how he is coming across to the media and the fans.

He's just not an engaging personality. I hate hearing him speak, can't warm to the guy at all.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:56 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I told everyone on here that "Once a quitter, ALWAYS A QUITTER"

I'll let you tell Vitali that.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:59 am

Scottrf wrote:
azumah HOF wrote:

You also have to love them in the corner after the second round vs Mosley. Not a care in the world, not contemplating losing just dominating the rest of the fight.

Well the Money corner is consistently ignored or underrated! I find them immensely impressive. Uncle Rog's slur and demeanour is seized upon, but real fans can hear that the guy really knows his boxing. People eulogise Roach and how his boys follow a plan. Well Team May come in with many mindsets and plans, they are flexible, know how to keep floyd relaxed and get him back to the gameplan! Excellent!

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 18 Sep 2011, 12:01 pm

azumah HOF wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:I must admit that I'm not of the mind that quitting is always the worst thing in the world. In this sport there are sadly too many examples of people who didn't know when to quit, so I do try to keep that in mind to balance my viewpoint, but he's certainly given the impression that he's not in this sport for what we as spectators would consider to be the right reasons, ie to win. There's nothing wrong with a boxer accepting a defeat and admitting the better man won, but Ortiz showed a disappointing lack of concern which is exacerbated by the fact that this was in all likelihood the largest occasion of his professional life.

Got to add its not really the quitting, i guess its the way you go about quitting!

That's about the size of it. If Ortiz had been more obviously bust up against Maidana I don't think people would have given him anything like the amount of criticism they did. Vitali quitting against Byrd wasn't shameful, and when you see something like Morales fighting most of the Maidana fight with one eye swollen shut it does make Ortiz seem like a sissy.

Flipside of course is someone like McLellan or even Enzo Macc taking damage they needn't.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun 18 Sep 2011, 12:09 pm

CAN WE ALL REMEMBER THAT FLOYD WAS FIGHTING SOMEONE ABOUT 14+ POUNDS HEAVIER!!!!!! AND DOMINATED.

The more Floyd fights the more he makes Pacquiaos fights and catchweights seem like a joke.

Wouldn't be surprised if Manny goes for Ortiz.

Southpaw this, southpaw that, it should be the other way. Fighters should be afraid of Floyds style!

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sun 18 Sep 2011, 12:11 pm

ok guys some post fight commentary from Ortiz..... chatting crap. Video link

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content10796.html

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 18 Sep 2011, 12:13 pm

jay-z wrote:CAN WE ALL REMEMBER THAT FLOYD WAS FIGHTING SOMEONE ABOUT 14+ POUNDS HEAVIER!!!!!! AND DOMINATED.

The more Floyd fights the more he makes Pacquiaos fights and catchweights seem like a joke.

Wouldn't be surprised if Manny goes for Ortiz.

Southpaw this, southpaw that, it should be the other way. Fighters should be afraid of Floyds style!

Ortiz was bigger, but let's not forget that he's also nowhere near the same level in terms of ability and skill, which to a degree cancels out the size advantage. It's not too different to Pacquiao and Margarito in that sense.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 18 Sep 2011, 12:16 pm

Based on last nights evidence, I feel Manny may have given Floyd a bit of a pasting. He was caught more than I've ever seen him caught, but Ortiz followed up with poor shot selection.

That being said, I don't think Floyd would be as aggressive or willing to leave himself open if it was Manny facing him. He left his chin out to dry numerous times when stepping in with the right hand, Ortiz was just too slow of hand and foot to capitalise.

Not massively impressed by either guy last night, and Ortiz not even being bothered about the result was just baffling.

Consider the can of worms, opened.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 18 Sep 2011, 12:29 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Based on last nights evidence, I feel Manny may have given Floyd a bit of a pasting. He was caught more than I've ever seen him caught, but Ortiz followed up with poor shot selection.

That being said, I don't think Floyd would be as aggressive or willing to leave himself open if it was Manny facing him. He left his chin out to dry numerous times when stepping in with the right hand, Ortiz was just too slow of hand and foot to capitalise.

Not massively impressed by either guy last night, and Ortiz not even being bothered about the result was just baffling.

I agree that Floyd didn't look as good last night. Not as accurate with his right hand, stuck around a bit longer than normal when under attack, just didn't look quite as fluid and a bit slower around the ring. A few more rounds may have done him good.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sun 18 Sep 2011, 12:41 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Based on last nights evidence, I feel Manny may have given Floyd a bit of a pasting. He was caught more than I've ever seen him caught, but Ortiz followed up with poor shot selection.

very poor worms indeed. People need to watch fights dispassionately and with a keen eye. Exactly what success did Ortiz have. People have come toa default position where they get overly excited if a glove so much as touches Floyd. He has becoem victim of his success as a defensive master so people clutch to minute things as evidence.
Ok here we go.... Floyd is a defensive master but he does get hit by the opponents glove.... this is boxing after all and it will happen if you fight in the poscket or against the ropes, both of which have been his tactics of choice at the higher weights. so Oscar hit him, as did Hatton and even Marquez. Yet these were all hailed as masterful defensive performances. Why? Because the skill is in minimising the impact and follow up if you choose to fight at close quaters. So his defense is about blocking and diminishing the impact of puches in part. Ortiz landed about two punches of any significance both of which where mininmised because floyd's head was moving away (sometimes known as riding the shot), secondly he was instantly out of range and behind the shoulder, SO ORTIZ NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER FOLLOWED THROUGH WITH A SECOND SHOT. The couple of shots that landed were so diminished Floyd walks forward both times shaking his head and instantly puts Ortiz (who lest we forget was going to be the agressor) on the back foot.

Contrary to your point i am even more convinced now that Manny is in real trouble. Floyd is becomign such a bully at this weight, physically and technically! What the hell is Manny going to do. This pressure game just cant work with Floyd. I am convinced only a technical dynamo like a BHop type can beat Floyd! Comeback Sweet Pea!

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sun 18 Sep 2011, 12:54 pm

Scottrf wrote:

I agree that Floyd didn't look as good last night. Not as accurate with his right hand, stuck around a bit longer than normal when under attack, just didn't look quite as fluid and a bit slower around the ring. A few more rounds may have done him good.

I disagree sir. Floyd had his customary edgy first round (which happens quite often, remember Hatton). After that what strikes me and must put astonishment in the mind of younger fighters, is just how comfortable and relaxed he was. The timing was not off infact lets get out facts right, Floyd has never been so pinpoint so early on against a southpaw. Agasinst Corley and Judah it took Floyd a few rounds to get the timing right against a southpaw. Here he scored with lead right after lead right. can we just focus on this point as those who dont really appreciate it miss the point. Its the hardest punch perhaps to land, the lead backhand punch. Floyd lands with the fluidity and speed of a jab, the way he is turning the backhand punch into an effective lead and increasingly preffered lead to the jab. I am writing an article where i will suggest that this is a technical innovation that one, is revolutionising accepted boxing technicalities, and two, is largely behind the technical cloud that is bemusing his opponents.
To land that punch with regularity, to hardly get hit, seems to suggest that frighteningly there is no diminishing in his physical and technical qualities, and this after 20 odd months out of the ring. This guy is a freak!

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 18 Sep 2011, 1:00 pm

azumah HOF wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

I disagree sir. Floyd had his customary edgy first round (which happens quite often, remember Hatton). After that what strikes me and must put astonishment in the mind of younger fighters, is just how comfortable and relaxed he was. The timing was not off infact lets get out facts right, Floyd has never been so pinpoint so early on against a southpaw. Agasinst Corley and Judah it took Floyd a few rounds to get the timing right against a southpaw. Here he scored with lead right after lead right. can we just focus on this point as those who dont really appreciate it miss the point. Its the hardest punch perhaps to land, the lead backhand punch. Floyd lands with the fluidity and speed of a jab, the way he is turning the backhand punch into an effective lead and increasingly preffered lead to the jab. I am writing an article where i will suggest that this is a technical innovation that one, is revolutionising accepted boxing technicalities, and two, is largely behind the technical cloud that is bemusing his opponents.
To land that punch with regularity, to hardly get hit, seems to suggest that frighteningly there is no diminishing in his physical and technical qualities, and this after 20 odd months out of the ring. This guy is a freak!
Far less accurate with it than against Hatton when he took control of the fight with it, Marquez when he connected again and again, and Mosley. Ortiz isn't the hardest to find. I was still impressed by the punch as it's almost an insult to an opponent to lead with a overhand right, but I thought it was more off than it has been recently. Wasn't saying it was ineffective, just looking for a little something that wasn't there in another dominating performance!

I maintain that he left himself within range longer than you normally expect of him, especially against the ropes. Similar to the Oscar fight in that, a little bit more controlled and he may have made something of it. He deflected a lot of shots and didn't take many shots successively, but Ortiz could have varied to the body, the opportunity was there. Neither of them were able to take advantage though, and he wasn't in trouble!

Think you're overestimating my criticism!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 18 Sep 2011, 1:07 pm

I'm not sure if anyone remembers the old equaliser things they used to have on hifi's. I know most are done electronically now.

Anyway it used to be a row of five to seven lines which would have a slider button which used to control bass, treble etc etc. Floyd has that with Foot movement, head movement, left hook right hook, etc etc in place of treble, bass, etc. He adjusts accordingly. In this fight he thought - easy to hit, not particularly accurate, big hitter, inexperienced. He adjusted the foot movement to low, moved head movement to high and centred his stance for a bit of flat footedness- out of choice, not out of necessity. Then he punched ortiz in the face with right hand leads. This also means that he is practicing conservation of energy, probably for the manny fight.

Against mosely he initally had foot movement high, aggresiveness low - then he got tagged and adjusted to aggressive, lower foot movement, more physical and he bullied Mosely around. Floyd Mayweather's greatness lies in his ability to adapt - as it did for Leonard and Ali before him. He just does it better than anyone around.

Probably most noticeable in the Hatton fight, cautious, assessing followed by manipulating Hatton into position, then crushing him at will.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Money Man Sun 18 Sep 2011, 1:09 pm

Must agree with Azumah 100%, I see nothing from Pacquiao to suggest he comes to beating Mayweather who has looked far less impressive in his recent bouts against lesser fighters than Mayweather has.

The Money Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 18 Sep 2011, 1:12 pm

The Money Man wrote:Must agree with Azumah 100%, I see nothing from Pacquiao to suggest he comes to beating Mayweather who has looked far less impressive in his recent bouts against lesser fighters than Mayweather has.
And luckily your join date and username give that opinion 100% credibility!

EDIT: Just realised who you are, forget the comment about join date!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sun 18 Sep 2011, 1:15 pm

Well, according to the stats Ortiz landed 18% of his shots, and Mayweather landed 49% of his power punches in reply.

Mosley landed 20% against Floyd, and Floydy is traditionally a slow starter. His power punch accuracy was 46 percent in that fight.

Suggests any allegations that Mayweather is less accurate or easier to hit are folly.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by azumah HOF Sun 18 Sep 2011, 1:22 pm

azumah HOF wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Nah Scot im not going after your criticism on a major way, i know it is marginal thing you are looking at. however i know you are a keen observer, just feel you need to watch it agin and reassess thats all. i am watching it again as we speak! im in round three and towards the end Floyd even hits him with a lead uppercut right ...... thats unheard of and dangerous, i'd chuck amateurs out of my gym for that!!! lol

azumah HOF

Back to top Go down

Post by supremeboxingskills Sun 18 Sep 2011, 1:23 pm

completely disagree.floyd landed 73 shots,ortiz only 26.so floyd yet again was making ortiz miss most of the time.plus floyd has changed his style,so he doesnt move around as much as he used to.but he still has massive intelligence in the ring,so he's still very hard to hit cleanly.thats why ortiz shots never troubled floyd.
so yeah ortiz may have thrown alot of shots at times,but they were not hitting the target.thats what frustrated ortiz and made him headbutt floyd.you have to land more shots than your opponent and i dont believe manny will be able to land more shots than floyd.
look at manny against mosley,he struggled with even the most basic movement from mosley and didnt look good atall.
also manny is so damn easy to hit,he even looked beat up after his fight against clottey.infact he looks beat up after alot of his fights.shots landed mean more than shots thrown.

supremeboxingskills

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 18 Sep 2011, 1:26 pm

Yeah, I'll watch again, I love that KO so much!

Perhaps I'm being harsh because it only went 4 and he tends to start slower and adjust.

Still see him beating Manny but he will be more of a challenge than Victor!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by supremeboxingskills Sun 18 Sep 2011, 1:28 pm

Bob wrote:Well, according to the stats Ortiz landed 18% of his shots, and Mayweather landed 49% of his power punches in reply.

Mosley landed 20% against Floyd, and Floydy is traditionally a slow starter. His power punch accuracy was 46 percent in that fight.

Suggests any allegations that Mayweather is less accurate or easier to hit are folly.

this is a great point.and floyd would have got better and better round after round.

supremeboxingskills

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 18 Sep 2011, 2:14 pm

im not sure if manny or floyd would win, but i think if manny was watching he will fancy his chance, as would khan. he didnt look unbeatable by any means, yes he put on a good performance and dealt with ortiz with no problem, but ortiz put neither pressure or used speed against him, and wasnt active enough. and was managing to get in and out on occasion. if khan had more power i'd fancy him to win, as it stands at the moment though he hasnt, so it needs to be pacquiao.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Sun 18 Sep 2011, 2:29 pm

Must say I think Floyd looked impressive as always. He does tend to start quite slowly as he works his opponent out. Last night he was more agressive which was a joy to see. I couldnt really see more than a couple of shots when Victor landed flush - Floyd slipped most of them and they just landed on his gloves. For someone who was well over a stone heavier - the shots that did land on Floyd had no effect on him. It was business as usual for Floyd.

I am still convinced he will beat Manny. Not as easily as last night! But he will beat him. Floyd would have simply got stronger and stronger each round whilst Ortiz would have been in tears in a few more rounds as he realised nothing he could do would have any effect on Mayweather. It was to be honest what everyone expected fight wise. Bet no one had a Floyd EKO though!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next