The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

+26
Rava
greybeard
Hound_of_Harrow
mickyt
Mickado
red_stag
rodders
Luckless Pedestrian
Suspicious lurker
Portnoy
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
littleswannygirl
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Glas a du
Ozzy3213
MBTGOG
MrsP
Thomond
Gibson
Notch
prop_lyd
KiaRose
Feckless Rogue
Cymroglan
WillyGilly
Cari
30 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:14 am

First topic message reminder :

Welcome to the virtual rugby pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the collage of great current hookers pictures on the bar. We've got Tincu, Ledesma, Ford, Best, Thompson and Bennett Shocked all in action. Graffiti's a banning offence Wink

So pull up a chair....what'll it be?

Ale cuppa coffee mug guinness cider RedWine Bubbly

Previous pub: https://www.606v2.com/t13864-the-dew-drop-inn-virtual-rugby-pub#475041

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:53 pm

So the likelihood of a NH nation in the final has gone up? Exciting times ...

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by prop_lyd Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:57 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:b ugger. I knew about Hook but hadn't heard that about Lydiate. Got to pray Ryan stays fit/gets fit for Fiji then.

Anything to keep Andy Powell off the pitch!!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:59 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:So the likelihood of a NH nation in the final has gone up? Exciting times ...

Let's hope so.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:59 pm

ah the man tackles well, he just can't compete at the breakdown well enough at this level. Won't really let us down but just isn't what we need.

As - ineed so it would seem. The weekends results has really shaken up this wc, I love it!

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:16 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:So the likelihood of a NH nation in the final has gone up? Exciting times ...

There seems to be all sorts of speculation in the meeja about Abs purposely losing their match against France to get into the "easy" side of the draw.

Anybody think this is a real possibility?

If you were coach, would you plan in that way? (not coach of NZ, but a coach - would you throw a game to get n advantage in the knock-outs?)

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:23 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:ah the man tackles well, he just can't compete at the breakdown well enough at this level. Won't really let us down but just isn't what we need.

I feel against Samoa he was trying to tackle them way too high always going for the spetacular rip or big hit and it didn't work most of the time!!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:23 pm

I can see others doing it but it's an admission you don't believe you're good enough so no I would never do it.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:25 pm

KiaRose wrote:

There seems to be all sorts of speculation in the meeja about Abs purposely losing their match against France to get into the "easy" side of the draw.

If you were coach, would you plan in that way? (not coach of NZ, but a coach - would you throw a game to get n advantage in the knock-outs?)

I'd hate to see a coach doing it deliberately - it smacks of a complacent mindset that could bite you in the following "easier" matches.

That said, I won't be terribly upset if the French do pull out one of their special performances and beat NZ. No-one's won an RWC after losing a pool game. But no-one batted an eyelid when Spain managed it in the soccer WC last year.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:25 pm

KiaRose wrote:

Having seen what the black jersey means to the team, the legacy of the players who have worn it, I can't imagine any NZ player will ever be able to make himself want to throw a game on purpose.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:35 pm

Not a chance will NZ throw their game. They need that French game to ensure they're battle hardened. You can't go into a rugby match half hearted either. One of them would get hurt.

Shame about Lydiate. Not really keen on Hook at 15 anyway, so at least 1/2p gets an opportunity to play in the position a few Welsh supporters wanted to.

Afternoon anyway. Sooooo tired with being back in work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:37 pm

Afternoon everyone.

Just made it back before the rain starts again. Have the rest of the day off.

Interview seemed to go OK, although it had to be informal really because some bright spark in HR hadn't told them I was coming. Doh I think one of the lads who interviewed me was a prop. He was built like one anyway. Smile Doesn't seem like a bad place to work, but I won't know anything for a couple of days.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:39 pm

Cari wrote:Afternoon everyone.

Just made it back before the rain starts again. Have the rest of the day off.

Interview seemed to go OK, although it had to be informal really because some bright spark in HR hadn't told them I was coming. Doh I think one of the lads who interviewed me was a prop. He was built like one anyway. Smile Doesn't seem like a bad place to work, but I won't know anything for a couple of days.
All digits crossed OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by littleswannygirl Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Fingers crossed for you Cari, glad it went ok. coffee
littleswannygirl
littleswannygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:44 pm

Good to hear you found the place Cari!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:45 pm

I totally agree Notch. Its goes against their very grain and soul to do so. They will not shame that jersey. And if France do beat the AB's - nothing like this conspiracy theory should take away from it.

G'day!

I will never, repeat NEVER, ever, drink tequila-slammers again. Went to a Irish GAA bar last night and met a few old friends.

"Here Cookie man have a drink, haven't seen ya in ages. Some wins wha?, De Dubs and Ireland"

"Ah no I wont, yer grand thanks lads, I'll pace meself"

Yeah roysh. 3am this morn... still singing. MrsG was sooo impressed. 🤦

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:47 pm

Good stuff Cari. They will see sense and give you the job. Believe. coffee
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:50 pm

Come to think of it, I'm glad Asbo found the place too!

Very Happy

Run

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:53 pm

Nice one Cari. Everything crossed as well

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:58 pm

glad to hear it went okay Cari, fingers crossed for you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:04 pm

Thanks regs Smile I'll keep you posted.

Gibbo - I'm not surprised Mrs G wasn't impressed....I've heard your singing Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:09 pm

Speaking of celebrating Dub fans, has anyone "seen" Bikkies today or he still feeling a bit... Whistle ...emotional?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:11 pm

MrsP, the benches of Dublin or Coppers is probably a good shout! I was actually surprised by how happy I was for the Dubs yesterday.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:11 pm

Yeah C, its bad all roysh. But I feel the Da dancin takes the edge off it a tad. Its even worse.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:13 pm

Oi T, thanks for the lovely PM yesterday man. Class. OK

MrsP, I'd say Mick is still drinking & singing. To stop now would be fatal.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:24 pm

I'd say he may have spontaneously combusted with joy after those results.

Maybe it was just as well Leinster lost or he definately would be a goner!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:48 pm

Good luck Cari!

Gibbo: got to love the slammers....I never feel bad after them however: mixing red wine, brains and cider is not good for a night out.

I'd expect Mick is trying to find his voice, balance, wallet and memory.
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:05 am

Funny old World.

Police and the force of the State being employed to make travellers move on.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:14 am

Portnoy wrote:Funny old World.

Police and the force of the State being employed to make travellers move on.

I think it's quite sad that we can't accomodate different cultures and ways of life in this country despite our much vaunted claim to 'multiculturalism'. It's incredibly hard to maintain a genuinely nomadic lifestyle now. Everyone must be squished into the system.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:26 am

It is sad Notch.

I can entirely sympathise with both sides.

If an individual builds illegally then they have to face the consequence.

Yet there is a history within the travelling community which whilst evolving, can't square itself with the modern society. They suffer from an enormous pressure of nimbyism.

Nearly all common land is now excluded from gypsies - yet they are desperate to maintain their culture. And rightly so.

I'm torn...
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:33 am

Open the Bay Door HAL

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9220098/HAL_9000_not_just_in_space_anymore

Now on an iPhone or Google phone near you. Not sure I like this kind of development, but it will come to run the rest of our lives.

I can hear it now. "Gibbo, its time to take that rubbish down, repaint that back bedroom and get the dinner ready. And fill in that tax-form, it is long overdue"

Phhok off HAL. I've already got MrsG !
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:38 am

Ahha!

But who do you think will be... Whistle ...reminding Hal?

I don't accept this romanticised "nomadic" stuff. The whole problem is that some people built permanent houses without planning permission.

How is that nomadic?

I think the "culture" seems more about benefitting from services that you refuse to contribute to despite having the financial wherewithall to do so.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:43 am

We had some travellers here on Anglesey they left a hell of a mess they can only blame themselves that people don't want them in their area.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:48 am

I agree. They have lost a lot of sympathy in Ireland. That's why they are in England - who are far more tolerant. If they did not sheet on every place they went, paid taxes on the new cars and the dealing they live on, and keep their own traveling House in order, then, maybe they would gain more popular sympathy.

I have absolutely none for them.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:02 am

You don't see many right wing Hippies nowadays, do you?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:03 am

You don't see much white dog poo either. maybe it was the hippies that were responsible for it .

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:06 am

I'm going to start working with some people supporting them who are from the travelling community so will be interesting to provide to this debate after friday.
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:08 am

Nope Mrs P.

I thought that Gibbo was a hippy. But it looks like that there's only me left.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:14 am

Semi-permanent settlements MrsP. What they need to do is clean up better behind them, but they'll leave the site behind. I find it difficult to complain about installing sewage treatment works at Holderness for example AND leaving a mess behind when they leave their sites.

Also there is a very limited number of places they can go on an increasingly populous island with a lot of farmland. Also, they can't have their own livestock etc. (can you imagine what the residents committees would make of that!) so they need to be near towns for amenities. In this sense they do of course pay tax. VAT is a pretty universal flat tax.

But if they want services they need to pay income tax.

I found it amusing in the Dale farm controversy that R.A.I.D have a long-standing tent they have put up near the site. So long-standing they applied for planning permission and were denied!

Last edited by Notch on Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:16 am

Portnoy wrote:Nope Mrs P.

I ought to support my comment.

Compared with travellers, gypsies, diddicoys, whatever acronym, these people are nothing compared with Global capitalism and its political lackeys.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:22 am

Got a football match tonight. First competitive game of any kind for a long long time. Calves aren't in the best shape due to the onslaught of cramp when I'm sleeping.

Still though, looking forward to it.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:23 am

What position are you Munsty?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:27 am

I still think that ALL people should be treated humanly, don't get me wrong. But I have too much experience of Travelers, causing trouble everywhere they go. Especially when they just take and make no effort to give. I have the same feeling about certain North Africans who live in my Hood. All they do is spit, reproduce like rats, live off the State and feic up the neighborhood. 90% of ALL crime is attributed to them.

The Clogs are the most tolerant race on Earth, but even they are now losing sympathy. Hence the growth in popularity of Geert Wilders. I detest him as a person, but his beliefs are spreading all over the country.

It is a War of Ideals also. And they will not stop until they control things more. Worrying demographic population shifts say that by 2050 - they will.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:28 am

About to go catch a train back West for the rest of the week Yahoo

have lovely evenings folks if I don't get on here later Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:31 am

Semi-permanent?

Headscratch

Still not exactly nomandic though is it?

How many years till we have groups of people who say that it is not in their culture to seek employment? Their parents never had a job and their grandparents never had a job and...

Now I am not saying that we should endeavor to erradicate the Traveller's culture but any society can only exist if people are willing to uphold their responsibilities whilst claiming their rights, no?

I think a lot of the time, it is the travellers themselves who exclude themselves from wider society, not the other way around but we can not have a completely different set of standards or laws for any group who say it is not in their culture to abide by them.

If a couple of hundred travellers arrive in a semi rural location, unplanned and unannounced, it is virtually impossible for the services in that area to cope with the sudden increase in numbers.

Difficult problems but I do think it is something we can be scared to address because we will be accused of racial bias.

NIMBYism is easy to decry when you haven't yet had a BY for it to affect.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:31 am

Portnoy wrote:
Portnoy wrote:Nope Mrs P.

I ought to support my comment.

Compared with travellers, gypsies, diddicoys, whatever acronym, these people are nothing compared with Global capitalism and its political lackeys.

EDIT:
Id agree with that. But it still does not excuse them. I feel sorry for the hard-working, tax paying, working-class population, who are caught up in the brunt of this with no way out. And then they see this. Nationalism is on the rise again all across in Europe and the Powers that be, are just burying their heads and filling their pockets. Instead of dealing with the very source of social-ills.

We all know what happened the last time it got out of hand...

Education and encouragement to rise is the only way out. I'm glad that there are people like Prop in this World.

Last edited by Gibson on Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:36 am

Munsty,

You may not be drinking enough if you are suffering from cramp.

And, no, I don't mean alcohol!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:39 am

Gibson wrote:I still think that ALL people should be treated humanly, don't get me wrong. But I have too much experience of Travelers, causing trouble everywhere they go. Especially when they just take and make no effort to give. I have the same feeling about certain North Africans who live in my Hood. All they do is spit, reproduce like rats, live off the State and feic up the neighborhood. 90% of ALL crime is attribut of the corporate world which will end ined to them.

The Clogs are the most tolerant race on Earth, but even they are now losing sympathy. Hence the growth in popularity of Geert Wilders. I detest him as a person, but his beliefs are spreading all over the country.

It is a War of Ideals also. And they will not stop until they control things more. Worrying demographic population shifts say that by 2050 - they will.

I have a lot of sympathy with you Gibbo. A lot. Personally I fear for the future. But not so much as shifting populations but the dynamism of the corporate world which marginalises all minorities whether ethnic or economic.

Religions mean nothing. It all has everything to do with the macroeconomic powers.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:46 am

MrsP wrote:Semi-permanent?

Headscratch

Still not exactly nomandic though is it?

How many years till we have groups of people who say that it is not in their culture to seek employment? Their parents never had a job and their grandparents never had a job and...

Now I am not saying that we should endeavor to erradicate the Traveller's culture but any society can only exist if people are willing to uphold their responsibilities whilst claiming their rights, no?

I think a lot of the time, it is the travellers themselves who exclude themselves from wider society, not the other way around but we can not have a completely different set of standards or laws for any group who say it is not in their culture to abide by them.

I think the emphasis on jobs here is a poor one. You have employment as part of an implicit social contract; you have a job, you pay tax so that you may avail of services that make life better for everyone. I have no problem with people who don't actively look for work if they are a) entirely self-sufficient or b) add value to society in other ways than tax revenue. So long as a parasitic relationship doesn't develop where one half of the social contract is not being fulfilled.

The problem is there's no scope to exist outside of mainstream society which I find very troubling.

And yeah, if you moved to a campsite and there were a block of toilets constructed that is a permanent structure. Your caravan is a mobile structure. If you move on, you'll leave the toilet blocks behind you. That's nomadic but involving the construction of permanent structures.

I don;t see how semi-permanent structures aren't nomadic. Surely the definition is not living in a permanently fixed structure like a house?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:47 am

Portnoy,
I was the ultimate International-socialist Warrior Hippy in my day. Fought for gay rights when it wasn't cool (still do). Racism (still do) - only less for some groups now and that makes me feel bad inside. I dont want to feel that way. And against Global Corporate Control - still rage against the Machine and fume, but what can I do?

I'm part of it. We all are.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:51 am

Gibson wrote:Portnoy,
I was the ultimate International-socialist Warrior Hippy in my day. Fought for gay rights when it wasn't cool (still do). Racism (still do) - only less for some groups now and that makes me feel bad inside. I dont want to feel that way. And against Global Corporate Control - still rage against the Machine and fume, but what can I do?

I'm part of it. We all are.

You don't have a choice of whether or not to be part of it. You can't opt out of mainstream society- and so we are back to travellers. They are not being allowed to do so either.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next