The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clottey comeback?

+5
Lumbering_Jack
School Project
Bob
bellchees
BALTIMORA
9 posters

Go down

Clottey comeback? Empty Clottey comeback?

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 25 Sep 2011, 7:57 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/clotteys-new-focus-ready-reignite-career-154--44175

The blockhead from Ghana talks of moving up to 154, chasing the winner of Cotto-Margarito, and wanting to prove himself anew after the Pacquiao fight. Interestingly the article mentions that Clottey apparently once weighed in at 170lbs on fight night after a 147 weigh-in. Could he be a force to be reckoned with if he mingled with the likes of Cotto, Margarito, Canelo and company at light middleweight?

The full article for those who can't access boxingscene:

Clottey's New Focus, Ready To Reignite Career at 154

By Mike Coppinger

Former welterweight championJoshua Clotteyhasbeen incognito ever since his uninspiring effort against Manny Pacquiao inMarch2010.

Rumors of his prolonged hiatus from the squared-circle ranged from being content with his hefty purse from the “Pacman” bout to not having the desire to train any longer.

For the first time since his loss to Pacquiao,Clottey spoke at length,breakinghissilence of over 16 months, stating “I just wasn’t ready to answer questions before.”

Clottey, who was schedule to return in March versus Calvin Green before pulling out with a wrist injury, maintains he simply was taking some time off, waiting for theright fight to come along.

“I can fight at any time,” Clottey exclaimed. “My lawyer has been talking to Top Rank about me getting back in the ring, because you see I’m sick and tired of people calling me asking me, ‘When are you going to fight, when are you notgoing to fight?’ My fans worry about me, when I’m going to return to the ring… and I’m going to return to thering.”

Top Rank Vice President of Operations Carl Moretti sees a November or December return for Clottey, where Top Rank will assess the fighter and make plans for his future.

“First he needs to get back in the ring, which will happen between nowandtheendof the year,” said Moretti. “Thenwe’lljustevaluatefrom therewhat’s going to be available. He’s got an uphill battle right now.”

Clottey is ready for the challenge though, insisting that money isn’tanissue.

“I’m ready to return to the ring, now it’s up to the promotersbecause I’m waiting for them to give me a decent fight. I think [manager Vinny Scolpino] hasto let me just do my thing. I’m not saying that I need all the money, but it needs to be fair. It’snotgoodthat he’s going to call me and offer me low money, I’m not ready for that.”

The Bronx, N.Y. resident will be moving upto junior middleweight when his layoff finally comes to an end. He hopes to return to the ring in a tune-up boutbeforetheendof the year, before possibly challenging the winner of the rematch between Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito, two fighters with whom he’s quite familiar.

“When I was at 147, I struggled a lot to maketheweight,” said Clottey, a bigwelterweight who once unofficially weighed in at 170 on fight night. “So sometimes theweightkilled me before I got to the ring. Because of the warrior I am, I always do my best. This time, I’m moving up to 154 and it’s going to be a new story.

“If you look at me, I’m big from head to toe. My legs are so big. Even at 154, I still have to make weight, but I’m going to struggle myself like at 147.”

The one fight Clottey (35-4, 20 KOs) wants is a rematch of his controversial June ’09 clash with Cotto, a split decision loss which many observers felt should’ve went theother way.

“One tune-up fight, two tune-up fights for me, I will be thereandfightthebest,”Clottey said. ”I want a fight with Miguel Cotto because we have unfinished business.We needto fight again because our first fight they robbed me. I won thefight,they robbedme,so I need to get my revenge.”

Climbing the Ranks

Clottey, 30, entered the public consciousness in 2006, makinghis HBO debut with a majority decision victory over Richard Gutierrez.

The Accra, Ghana native impressed boxing pundits with his excellent defense – a tight guard held high in the mold of “Winky”Wright– and his toughness andsize.

Clottey followed up that win with a loss to Antonio Margarito on Showtime, a fight in which “The Grand Master” was faring quite well until a hand injury suffered in the fourth round. Clottey ended up losing on points to the Mexican pressure fighter, but he was right back in the mix in his next outing.

“If not for my hand, I would have won the fight,” said Clottey.

His next bout was also on Showtime,Diego “Chico”Corrales’ first fight above 140 – and the late fighter’s final ring appearance. Clottey thoroughly dominated Corrales from the onset, battering his foe throughout the duration of the 10-round bout.Clotteyeven dropped Corrales ineach of the last two rounds, but couldn’t finish him. Nonetheless, the statement was made– Clottey was a force to be reckoned with in thewelterweight division.

In August 2008, Clottey authored the biggest win of his career, a nine-round technical decision victory over Zab Judah on HBO’s Boxing After Dark, nettinghim his first title.

The bout was a grueling toe-to-toe affair. Clottey weathered Judah’soffensive onslaught and began to impose his will as the fight progressed. Judah eventually bowedoutdueto a nasty gash from a punch, althoughtherefereeincorrectly ruled it was from a clash of the heads. So it went to the cards, Clottey pulling off the closevictory.

What should’ve been a momentum builder instead turned into a10-monthhiatus.Clottey rode the pine until his June ’09 showdown with Cotto at MadisonSquare Garden,a bout which saw Clottey rise off the canvasinthefirstround.Thefightwasa back-and-forth encounter, with many roundshardto score. Ultimately, Cotto wasdeemedthevictor, although it’s a fight that warrants a rematch.

New Weight Class and Mindset

Clottey has been criticized in the past for not letting his hands go, contentto stay in his defensive shell and rip uppercuts. His lack of offense can be attributedto many of his losses, something he plans to change upon his return to thering.

“Right now everything is going good with my new trainer, he’s teaching me a lot about offense,” Clottey said. “He’s a good trainer, everything is going good. I can’t wait to get to the ring and show the people not to write me off because of thePacquiao fight.If I’m throwing my hands, nobody’s going to beat me. Me and my trainer are workingon that. “

Athough Clottey hasn’t fought in over 16 months, he remains in topphysical condition, with a regiment that includes daily runs.

The trick is getting back into boxing shape, as he’s been absent from the gym while awaiting his next assigment.

“I’m always in shape, I’ve been jogging,” Clottey said. “I’m expecting to have my tune-up fight before the year closes. I just need two months,so thatI canfly my trainer to U.S., he’s in Africa. I want to be a champion at 154 in 2012.”

Fight with Pacquiao

Clottey’s last bout came against the great Pacquiao inMarch‘10, a fight thatcame about only after negotiations between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather famously crashedand burned. While boxing lost in the aftermathinthebiggest fight in boxing history not happening, Clottey turned out to be a huge winner, receiving by far his biggest payday and a chance to dethrone Pacquiao.

The big payday was the closest Clottey came to victory.TheGhanaian wasthoroughly dominated, remaining stuck in a defensive shell for the vast majority of thebout,more content to cover up than let his hands go. He received massive criticism for theeffort, with many fans and observers claiming he just showed up for a paycheck.

As the fight was put together at the last minute – finalized in January for a Marchdate –Clottey had little time to prepare amongmany problemsinhiscamp. His trainerhadvisa problems, forcing him to use Lenny DeJesus for the bout.

“I went to training campfor only threeweeks,”saidClottey. “[DeJesus] is not my trainer, he’s my cut man.You go to training campfor only three weeks for Pacquiao, it’s not going to be easy. The world’s pound-for-pound number one fighter. It was very short notice.He had speed and I couldn’t utilize my gameplan.

“It’s not like I’m makingexcuses,I lost to Pacquiao.He’s very dangerous,I lose that fight. I took the fight on short notice because I’m a warrior. If I win, I get the big fights likewith Mayweather.ButI didn’thavetime to prepare. For Cotto and Margarito,I had months to prepare.

Clottey warns fans and writers not to write him off based on his lackluster performance against Pacquiao.

“But that is not the end of Joshua,” said Clottey. “I want everybody to understandthat they shouldn’t just look at the Pacquiao fight,they should look at my past fights. My fight with Margarito, my fight with Cotto, my fight with Diego Corrales, my fight with Zab Judah.

“I really miss the ring, I really want to fight. I want the fans to knowthatthey shouldn’t write me off because of the Pacquiao fight.”

Besides the Cotto-Margarito winner, there’s one more name Clotteywould love to add to his resume.

“I remember when they madethefightwithPacquiao,everyone saidhe’s goingto beat me easy,” Clottey recalled. “They shouldgiveme to Canelo [Alvarez] andsee if Canelo is going to beat me easy. I’m going to wear him down if they give me the chance.”

Clottey is ready for the second act of his career to begin, seven poundsnorthat154.

“Those guys at 154, I’m going to beat all of them if they give me a chance,” said Clottey. “I’m really here to be something.”

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Clottey comeback? Empty Re: Clottey comeback?

Post by bellchees Sun 25 Sep 2011, 8:36 pm

Will be interesting to see what Clottey has left. He mentions Alvarez at the end and I think he has a style that will give Canelo a lot to think about, he'll certainly need to be more active against Clottey than he has been in some of his other fights.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sun 25 Sep 2011, 8:41 pm

I'd pay to see Clottey show the relentless pressure and volume punching he did against Pacquiao at 154lbs.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 25 Sep 2011, 8:50 pm

Joking aside Bob, if it's true what he says about his preparations it may go some way to explain that performance. Personally I think he was overwhelmed by the scale of the occasion and possibly even under pressure not to derail the gravy train. He's had some decent wins, and a close loss to Cotto, and if he was coming in at 170 he's seemingly got the frame and build for 154. He's never gonna set the world alight, but he should present a solid challenge for anyone at 154, and maybe even the beating of some of them.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:23 pm

Cheers BALTI, I personally don't like Clotteys attitude regarding the Pacquiao fight. It was one of the most feeble efforts I've seen. Although Mosely did run for his life against Pacquiao.

Anyone know the punch stats for Pacquiao v Clottey? I can't remember anything being thrown in that fight from Clottey.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:29 pm

Clottey is just a bad loser. He broke him finger nail when fighting Marg and used it as an excuse. He rolled around on the floor against Cotto for no reason and against Manny he came survive and do 12 rounds. It was a shameful showing.

If he wants a title shot then he needs to do it the hard way, fight his way up and get ranked, like Alvarez did Rolling Eyes

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:52 pm

School Project wrote:Cheers BALTI, I personally don't like Clotteys attitude regarding the Pacquiao fight. It was one of the most feeble efforts I've seen. Although Mosely did run for his life against Pacquiao.

Anyone know the punch stats for Pacquiao v Clottey? I can't remember anything being thrown in that fight from Clottey.

Can't remember the exact figures but I know accuracy was something like 27% for Pacquiao, 20% for Clottey.

Just found them:

Pacquiao 27% of 1231, 549 jabs, 14 landed (3%), 232 of 682 power punches (34%)

Clottey: 20% of 399, 26 of 162 jabs (16%), power punches 82 of 237 (35%)

I didn't want to just repost an existing article after Steffan has been slated for doing that, but I was on a mobile and low on patience.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Mon 26 Sep 2011, 4:50 pm

my god he's boring.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 26 Sep 2011, 4:59 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
School Project wrote:Cheers BALTI, I personally don't like Clotteys attitude regarding the Pacquiao fight. It was one of the most feeble efforts I've seen. Although Mosely did run for his life against Pacquiao.

Can't remember the exact figures but I know accuracy was something like 27% for Pacquiao, 20% for Clottey.

Just found them:

Pacquiao 27% of 1231, 549 jabs, 14 landed (3%), 232 of 682 power punches (34%)

Clottey: 20% of 399, 26 of 162 jabs (16%), power punches 82 of 237 (35%)

I didn't want to just repost an existing article after Steffan has been slated for doing that, but I was on a mobile and low on patience.

You're star BALTI. I was in work, couldn't find the stats. I find it hard to believe he even threw that many! They must have included the movement in his arms when Pacquaio was hitting them.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 26 Sep 2011, 5:50 pm

It was a crap showing, and no mistake. Bit baffling because he didn't come across as a guy who wouldn't give it a go. He's been in with some top names, and while he's lost to a few of them he's tried harder than he did against Pacquiao. I'm hoping he livens up 154 a bit.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:30 am

BALTIMORA wrote: I'm hoping he livens up 154 a bit.

Think you're in for a big disappointment then Balti. Even if we erase his pitiful showing against pacquiao from memory, he's still no more than a gatekeeper type fighter - a decent test for up and comers but will never be a big achiever or thrilling to watch regardless of whether he comes on at 147, 154 etc. In fact the guy is so uninspiring I can't be bothered to write anything else about him.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:50 am

Perhaps 'liven up' was the wrong phrase. I just think he'll provide a decent test for anyone at the weight and as such having him active isn't such a bad thing. Let's not forget he ran Cotto close, and HE'S now supposedly rejuvenated and revived at the weight.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:07 am

I also think Cotto is shot - two bad beatings in his career at 147, and since his supposed rebirth at 154 what has he done? Beat a one legged nobody in Yuri Foreman, and is now squeezing out a living fighting other hasbeens like mayorga and margarito. Might be just me, but I don't see what all these guys who have been battered and spent at 147 now bring to 154, other than their names (clottey, marg, cotto). Solid tests for up and comers perhaps, but their own careers are no longer anything to get excited about IMO.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:26 am

Clottey, Marg and Cotto.... three names that I'd sooner not see in the ring again. Oh, you can add Mosely to that too.

Cheers for the memories guys, time to move on.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:21 pm

i think alveraz vs clottey would be a decent fight, and can see it been made too. clottey is a least as worthy at a shot as hatton, rhodes or gomez

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm

Let's be honest; Rhodes wasn't worthy and the Hatton match up was a joke.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:36 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:i think alveraz vs clottey would be a decent fight, and can see it been made too. clottey is a least as worthy at a shot as hatton, rhodes or gomez

So completely unworthy then? 3 wrongs don't make a right. Just find it hard to get excited about the 154lb division with Alvarez beating up journeymen every ten weeks and welterweight hasbeens who can't make 147lb anymore claiming to be rejuvinated at the weight when in reality they are trading off past glories (or just the past in clotteys case).
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:45 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:i think alveraz vs clottey would be a decent fight, and can see it been made too. clottey is a least as worthy at a shot as hatton, rhodes or gomez

So completely unworthy then? 3 wrongs don't make a right. Just find it hard to get excited about the 154lb division with Alvarez beating up journeymen every ten weeks and welterweight hasbeens who can't make 147lb anymore claiming to be rejuvinated at the weight when in reality they are trading off past glories (or just the past in clotteys case).

What was alarming was how he struggled with the awful Gomez. Cotto fought him a few years previous and chopped him down with ease. Gomez was actually winning rounds against Alvarez.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:56 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:

At least he's been a world champion, and he's only lost to the guys you'd expect him to. As such he's a much better guy to have around than any of the three mentioned.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 27 Sep 2011, 1:12 pm

i think alveraz was just comfortable enough to fight differently than normal against gomez, think he had things under control all the time. hatton has gone on to earn a euro belt and rhodes deserved a title shot and is pretty solid. not setting the world alight with his defences but he is a decent fighter

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down