The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotto vs Clottey

+5
Lance
Imperial Ghosty
azania
88Chris05
Valero's Conscience
9 posters

Go down

Cotto vs Clottey Empty Cotto vs Clottey

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:29 am

I haven't seen this fight apart from highlights. I've heard many say Clottey was very unlucky and Cotto got the nod because he was the star and they didn't want to jeopardise Cotto's fight with Manny.

As I trust your views on here more than anywhere else, can I ask - was Clottey robbed or simply lost a close fight that could have gone either way?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Cotto vs Clottey Empty Re: Cotto vs Clottey

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:47 am

Haven't seen the fight since it happened, VC, but from my memory the claims of 'robbery', as they so often are, were grossly at odds with what actually happened.

As you allude to, a very close fight which could have gone either way is how I remember it. Cotto got a lot of stick for that performance, primarily because it was so uncharacteristically negative at times, but I actually gave him a fair amount of credit for managing to keep the fight at range and survive given the absolutely horrible cut on his eye, courtesy of Clottey's head (I swear, his forehead must be almost as much to thank as his fists for his winning a world title).

You can make a case for Clottey, but from I can remember, that fight was no robbery.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:48 am

Valero's Conscience wrote:I haven't seen this fight apart from highlights. I've heard many say Clottey was very unlucky and Cotto got the nod because he was the star and they didn't want to jeopardise Cotto's fight with Manny.

As I trust your views on here more than anywhere else, can I ask - was Clottey robbed or simply lost a close fight that could have gone either way?

Close fight which could have gone either way imo. Its another example of the house favourite not fighting and winning as easily as expected and gets marked down as a result. For what its worth, Cotto was winning imo.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:22 am

Agree with az on this one, cotto got negatively scored by some because he wasnt at his best but did more than enough to get the win. From memory I had it 115-112.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:29 am

Cheers guys, the whole fight is youtube so i'll try and watch this weekend.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:12 am

thought clottey won it. but it was close. cottos popularity certainly helps him get the nod from some people though

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:10 am

i heard it was cotto's fight, but he won ugly.
does anyone win good against him??

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:30 am

Cotto won a close fight, the knockdown proved quite decisive as well.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by UpandUnder Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:55 pm

I thought cotto won it, but it was a scrappy fight.... then again I am a big cotto fan

UpandUnder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:54 pm

I think it wasn't a robbery, but very tight. The first margarito fight is a good comparison. Cotto seemed in control in the first half but clottey can on strong in the 2nd half while cotto got on his bike. Clottey looked like a beast at the weight and was never hurt. That fight marge 1 and the pacman fight really had me thinking cotto was shot.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down