The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canelo vs Clottey

+9
TRUSSMAN66
Valero's Conscience
jimdig
DuransHorse
Gerry SA
Hammersmith harrier
Dipper Brown
ONETWOFOREVER
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
13 posters

Go down

Canelo vs Clottey Empty Canelo vs Clottey

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 23 Sep 2014, 5:07 pm

Had to make sure this wasn't April Fools

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/canelo-alvarez-set-to-take-on-joshua-clottey-on-hbo-on-december-6/

Looks like 3 fights in 4 years gets you a shot at the title...

Back to top Go down

Canelo vs Clottey Empty Re: Canelo vs Clottey

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 23 Sep 2014, 5:34 pm

shame

Is there nobody better?

The only fight that really excites me is Eubanks Jnr v Saunders so credit to British boxing and shame on the yanks.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue 23 Sep 2014, 6:24 pm

Cotto Kirkland in the meantime? Perhaps Roach will look for some revenge on the Mandingo warrior after the defeat of Tapia. I'd watch it anyway.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 23 Sep 2014, 6:38 pm

What title would that be for then because Alvarez isn't a belt hold any more, it's a decent match up nothing more, there's a lot of jostling for position in the 154-160lb range.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 23 Sep 2014, 8:39 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:What title would that be for then because Alvarez isn't a belt hold any more, it's a decent match up nothing more, there's a lot of jostling for position in the 154-160lb range.
WBO 'interim' junior middleweight title. If Boo Boo Andrade wins the WBO middleweight title, Canelo or Clottey would be promoted to full champion, as Andrade would vacate 154 title.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 23 Sep 2014, 8:46 pm

I doubt very much this fight will happen within the 154lb limit nor would Alvarez have any real inclination to do so for the WBO title.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 23 Sep 2014, 8:52 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I doubt very much this fight will happen within the 154lb limit nor would Alvarez have any real inclination to do so for the WBO title.
If Canelo holds a title, it helps him gsain a larger % of the money in the Cotto fight.

As champion in 154 stepping up to fight 160 champion.

Oscar is all about the money...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 23 Sep 2014, 8:57 pm

Holding a title won't make an ounce of difference, he brings the fan to the table with or without a title and if he's not going to fight for Lara's title he sure as hell won't bother with the interim WBO.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 23 Sep 2014, 8:59 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Holding a title won't make an ounce of difference, he brings the fan to the table with or without a title and if he's not going to fight for Lara's title he sure as hell won't bother with the interim WBO.
Oscar's keen on Canelo bagging the title...God only knows why...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Tue 23 Sep 2014, 9:21 pm

This fight is not exactly brilliant news as far as I'm concerned. There's something about Canelo that makes me think he'd be quite special but he's missing something. I cat quite decide what that something is but he'll beat Clottey.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 23 Sep 2014, 10:25 pm

Decent enough keep busy fight. Canelo has just moved back to hbo, so this should be on regular cable. It'll be a showcase fight, before they go the pacman, cotto, jr, ggg, Kirkland monster ppv routes. There are a lot of good fights for Canelo to be involved in now that he's back and hbo and uncle bob and fishnets are talking.

Random thought: I wonder if frank Maloney is trying to emulate oscar.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 24 Sep 2014, 8:02 am

It's not a terrible match up but admit Clottey hasn't done much recently to deserve it although anyone who beats Mundine should get rewarded!

Clottey is tough and if Canelo was able to stop him that would be a statement.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed 24 Sep 2014, 9:33 am

C'mon. Clottey's last meaningful fight was his turtle impression against Manny. Then over almost the next 5 years he fights two bums and Mundine. Fair play to him for getting this fight but it's a joke that Canelo's team sets up opponents of this level for him. Even as a warm up fight it's poor. It'll go 12 rounds as Clottey retreats into his shell again and be about as entertaining as watching Canelo hit a heavy bag for 36 minutes.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 24 Sep 2014, 9:38 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:shame

Is there nobody better?

The only fight that really excites me is Eubanks Jnr v Saunders so credit to British boxing and shame on the yanks.

So Canelo has fought a top Cuban in a 50/50 ....Mayweather and Trout....in his last few fights....

Quigg has fought who ??.....and it's credit to Brit boxing and down with the Yanks..

You really are an idiot..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 24 Sep 2014, 10:01 am

This is a bum of a fight, but hard to slate Canelo's ambition otherwise.

Outside of Froch and one or two others, not many can match a run of Cintron->Mosley->Lopez->Trout->PBF->Angulo->Lara.

Admittedly only 2, maybe 2.5, top level fighters in there, but still pretty good.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 24 Sep 2014, 9:38 pm

Just a hand picked fight to give Alvarez a run out and a chance to look good on regular HBO

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 25 Sep 2014, 11:18 am

Clottey might put up a decent enough showing if you think about it. He covered up against Manny die to Manny being ridiculously too fast and he would never have got his shots off first. But against Canelo he has a chance to at least tee off. Canelo isn't exactly blessed with lightning fast punches and Clottey took Cottos best shots before and ran him close. Cotto would be just as good in the power department as Canelo and both are prone to going to the body. If the Clottey who turned up against Cotto turns up then I can see this fight being a little more competitive than people think
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 25 Sep 2014, 11:22 am

Problem is, Cotto was five years ago. And Álvarez is a Damn sight bigger than Cotto. It could be close, as you say, but I do seriously doubt it
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu 25 Sep 2014, 12:17 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Clottey might put up a decent enough showing if you think about it. He covered up against Manny die to Manny being ridiculously too fast and he would never have got his shots off first. But against Canelo he has a chance to at least tee off. Canelo isn't exactly blessed with lightning fast punches and Clottey took Cottos best shots before and ran him close. Cotto would be just as good in the power department as Canelo and both are prone to going to the body. If the Clottey who turned up against Cotto turns up then I can see this fight being a little more competitive than people think

Two fights ago Clottey went the distance with a guy who was 12-14-1 Erm

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 25 Sep 2014, 12:37 pm

Clottey will come for a pay day and not much else. He has been picked to make Alvarez look good.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Sep 2014, 12:39 pm

Fail to see how this fight showcases Canelo...Clottey make everyone look dreadful including himself....they may as well drag Ricardo Mayorga out of retirement if they want an "entertaining" fight

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 25 Sep 2014, 12:45 pm

Alvarez will beat the sh1t out of him

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down