The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tevez refuses to play

+26
Lumbering_Jack
Geordie
Mehrts is god
mystiroakey
Derbyblue
Small Time
Kay Fabe
Fernando
Forward Pass
BATH_BTGOG
gboycottnut
jro786
marty2086
GSC
Clunge4life
dondelero
Adam D
rugbyfan
Crimey
ReallyReal
Kenny
Luke
Mad for Chelsea
ADMIN
JDizzle
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tevez refuses to play Empty Tevez refuses to play

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:40 pm

Roberto Mancini has just said in an interview that Carlos Tevez refused to come of the bench for Man City tonight in Munich. What a disgrace he is an embarrassment to professional footballers. Sad thing is Man City are suck for options here.

This does nothing for his valuation as a player probably takes a few million off his price tag. If they were to leave him in the reserves he would still get his wages. If they were to sack him they would need to pay him compensation. One of the few situations where I feel the player has the club over a barrel unfairly.

What's your thoughts?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Tevez refuses to play Empty Re: Tevez refuses to play

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:42 pm

Mancini just said Tevez will never play under him again.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:46 pm

Tevez trying to use the family reasons again and the fact he was top scorer last season.

Poor stuff there were man City fans that paid a fortune to go over their.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:50 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Mancini just said Tevez will never play under him again.

Good. He needs to take a stand against him. If he won't play, then I would just tell him not to turn up to training as a Man City player ever again because either way they are screwed as they will have to pay him no matter what. So get him out, and away from the team and say good riddance.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:54 pm

Do City need the money for him?
No.

Stick him on garden leave until he buys out his contract.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:01 pm

They might not need the money for him but they are quite right not to hand him over to another club for another fat contract for pennies. They valued him at £40m. Nothing wrong with that obviously no one that could afford him felt he was worth it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:04 pm

This just wards clubs off him, as you said Kev. Who is going to want to spend 40 mill on a guy who might turn around in two years and say "I don't want to play for you anymore"? No-one I would imagine!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:15 pm

Disgraceful player! Wasn't it him who made those comments about how Terry would have been shot in Argentina for what he did to Bridge? What happens to people who simply refuse to play in Argentina, Carlos? Hopefully a long painful drawn out death by slow torture at least. Words really cannot describe the contempt I feel for this man, who cares nothing about his club who pay his (considerable) wages, nothings about his teammates, nothing about the fans who pay to watch him play, nothing about the sport, nothing about anything or anybody other than himself.

In any other job, if you refuse to do it, you get the sack (pretty much without compensation surely). Hopefully no other club will ever want to buy him, and pay his exhorbitant wages when they know what he's capable of. I don't like Man City very much, but they and particularly Mancini have my whole-hearted support tonight.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:29 pm

Disgusting, and disrespectful of the club, the team and the fans. And proves once and for all the only thing he's intrested in is himself.

If he wants to move back Argentina then why was he trying to enginer a move to Milan?

If i was City, i just say fine, you want to go back to argentina you can, but you won't be playing football for another club till your contract with us has run out. City are rich enough to do this, and seeing as he has effectivly gone on strike would get away with it. But they won't.

Mind you, after what happened with Nasari, can't help feeling slightly that you reap what you sow.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:55 pm

Disgraceful , i hope City make him rot in the reserves rather then sacking him as that is what he wants .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Wed 28 Sep 2011, 6:06 am

This may sound a little harsh Wink , but if I owned City I'd arrange an accident for Tevez that would end his career, at least they'd get a decent amount of insurance and he'd get to go home to his family.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 28 Sep 2011, 7:01 am

Mancini should probably have started him, and despite the fact he said that everything from the summer was over and done with, Mancini clearly avoided playing Tevez, even when Dzeko has looked pretty poor the last couple of games and a front two of Aguero and Tevez does look a lot more appealing.

But, this doesn't mean Tevez can do what he did. Even Balotelli, who has been treated even worse than Tevez, and has a history of acting like a baby, got put on the pitch and tried hard and got a goal. When you're acting more immature than Mario Balotelli you clearly have serious issues.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbyfan Wed 28 Sep 2011, 7:44 am

Man City are probably entitle to sack Tevez due to his refusal to play, and therefore work. The problem is that if they terminated his contract then another club would sign him up, and thats exactly what he wants.

Most clubs in the world simply can't afford to ignore the potential transfer fee that Tevez would bring, but Man City are not 'most clubs'. Surely they should make a statement here and insist that Tevez sees out his contract, but NEVER plays for them again. This way he won't get his move away from England.

rugbyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 28 Sep 2011, 8:15 am

rugbyfan wrote:
Man City are probably entitle to sack Tevez due to his refusal to play, and therefore work. The problem is that if they terminated his contract then another club would sign him up, and thats exactly what he wants.

Most clubs in the world simply can't afford to ignore the potential transfer fee that Tevez would bring, but Man City are not 'most clubs'. Surely they should make a statement here and insist that Tevez sees out his contract, but NEVER plays for them again. This way he won't get his move away from England.

exactly right - make him teach the youngsters in the reserves.

dont let him anywhere near the first team squad again.

Make him turn up at silly oclock every day for training with the reserves - if he refuses, sue him for breach of contract.

Or they could loan him to Cardiff City ala bellamy until January Ok!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dondelero Wed 28 Sep 2011, 8:36 am

Tevez knows what he is doing, he has wanted to leave the club probably after just a few months there. City may just terminate his contract although as yesterday shows they actually need him. Dzeko apparently was also misbehaved when he came off, it appears the players do not respect the manager. As said many times before, City are a bunch of individuals and not a team.

dondelero

Back to top Go down

Post by Clunge4life Wed 28 Sep 2011, 8:54 am

Nasty piece of work.............i have no doubts IF he did get a move to South America we would see another (and another big payday for him and Kia) big money move to a top european club within 18 months.......money grabbing douche

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:54 am

If I'm a big European club, and I was willing to pay £30m plus, would I want to now? What if he doesn't like where my team is based?

In my eyes its a disgusting act when you're paid 250k a week. I hope City can and do fine him every week rather than releasing the greedy ****.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 28 Sep 2011, 12:02 pm

City should take him to court sue him and have him banned at least for the remainder of his contract as he has clearly breached it.

He waffled about wanting to leave and being top scorer last season all of which relate to last night in no way. His family have moved to back to England but him and his wife have not bothered to learn English so that automatically makes it harder to settle no wonder they are homesick but he has spent 5 years living in his own bubble and taking home his paycheck

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Sep 2011, 12:16 pm

tevez should be made to rot in the reserves, and not sell him. selling him is what he wants, if he rots in the resereves then that would be the best thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by jro786 Wed 28 Sep 2011, 12:34 pm

i believe if the player does not want to play for the club then the club has have to deal with it off camera, not in public eye
jro786
jro786

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:tevez should be made to rot in the reserves, and not sell him. selling him is what he wants, if he rots in the resereves then that would be the best thing.

I have a much better idea of how Man City should deal with Tevez. Loan him to Man Utd for the rest of his current Man City contract whereby Man City should make an agreement with Man Utd that he isn't allowed to play any first team football, but only turns up for all the Man Utd training and does all the menial/really crappy chores such as cleaning all the Man Utd players boots etc whilst getting a real bollacking by Sir Alex Ferguson for being too slow and non-interested/motivated when doing these chores.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Wed 28 Sep 2011, 2:07 pm

Sack him or let him rot in the reserves, he must have broken his contract by refusing to play
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass Wed 28 Sep 2011, 2:15 pm

Agree with most people on here , let him rot in the reserves
He's got previous at trying to get a new deal/club
City are the only club who can afford to take this stand
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Wed 28 Sep 2011, 2:21 pm

BATH_BTGOG wrote:Sack him or let him rot in the reserves, he must have broken his contract by refusing to play

Sacking him is just exactly what Tevez wants as then he will become a free agent who is able to play for another club without a transfer fee being involved. A much better idea of how Man City should deal with Tevez is to loan him out to Man Utd for the rest of his current Man City contract whereby Man City should make an agreement with Man Utd that he isn't allowed to play any first team football, but only turns up for all the Man Utd training and does all the menial/really crappy chores such as cleaning all the Man Utd players boots etc whilst getting a real bollacking by Sir Alex Ferguson for being too slow and non-interested/motivated when doing these really dull basic chores.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:30 pm

Thick people do stupid things.

Back to top Go down

Post by jro786 Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:33 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:tevez should be made to rot in the reserves, and not sell him. selling him is what he wants, if he rots in the resereves then that would be the best thing.

educate me, why rot him in the reserves, that'll do more harm than good
jro786
jro786

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:37 pm

you put him in the reserves and your asking price goes down.

Also there's some rule saying if doesn't play 10 or more games in a season can buy out contract for alot less then usual

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:57 pm

In cases like this clubs should look to sue these players, and be able to hold onto his contract whilst only paying him basic minimal wage, however it may not be true

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Wed 28 Sep 2011, 5:01 pm

Plus your denying him the right to work (by letting him rot in the reserves).

I'm pretty sure that Citeh would be able to sack him (for gross misconduct) then sue him for a massive loss on their investment (a la Adrian Mutu).

But all that will happen is he'll go and play with Samuel Eto'o for Anzhi Makhachkala......Argentina won't seem that far away when he's earning £500000 a week I bet.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 28 Sep 2011, 5:38 pm

fernando wrote:you put him in the reserves and your asking price goes down.

Also there's some rule saying if doesn't play 10 or more games in a season can buy out contract for alot less then usual
Surely that rule wouldn't apply if he was refusing to play 10 games. Shame for City that the deal with Corinthians couldn't get sorted in time, wonder if they will still be interested in January?

tigerrobins wrote:If he wants to move back Argentina then why was he trying to enginer a move to Milan?
I'm not sure he has said that he wants to move back to Argentina but merely that he is homesick, there is a slight difference as in Manchester he is pretty much by himself (though someone said his family have moved back, and Aguero is there now) and unable to speak English, but there are quite a few more Argentinian players in Italy at Inter Milan he would be playing with Zanetti, Alvarez, Cambiasso, Milito, Samuel and Zarate.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 28 Sep 2011, 8:48 pm

Tevez is a very odd lad. The way he went to man u from west ham- with the dodgy agent. The way he left so sharply from united, united would never ever sell to one of there biggest rivals and a player that good!!!. something went on which we dont know about. the guy is a head case when it comes to club and fan loyality.

I dont want to go ott- the guy obviously has much more important things on his mind, he is obviously massively depressed. a human part of me feels sorry for him and i bnelieve he needs help- i dont think he will be happy by moving back to argentina unless he gets physchiatroic help- he is doing tyo MAN CITY what his WIFE has done to him, he is a childish man with no pride and he deserves punishment for what he has done- he should in all honesty be banned from pro football(for a year or so) and sacked with no compenstaion, because we cant have others following his route. But i think he is a player with a massive talent and if he rides any punishement given he deserves another chance(problem is he wont be punished- sadly he will probally get exacvtly what he wants and go on a free)!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:21 pm

I'm pretty sure that Citeh would be able to sack him (for gross misconduct) then sue him for a massive loss on their investment (a la Adrian Mutu).

And Chelsea still don't have a single penny from Mutu or any of his employers after his spell at Chelsea.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:17 pm

Irish League club Limavady United have put in an audacious offer to take suspended Manchester City star Carlos Tevez on loan until the end of the season.

The championship club faxed City on Wednesday afternoon with details of the offer, which comes after boss Roberto Mancini said Tevez's career at the English Premiership side was over.

The Argentinian striker has been suspended until further notice for a maximum period of two weeks after Mancini claimed he refused to come on as a substitute in Tuesday night's Champions League defeat to Bayern Munich.

Tevez has denied that.

In his fax, Limavady United FC's vice-chairman David Brewster said the club would be willing to take him on loan and keep him fit, if City continued to pay his wages.

"Pursuant to the well publicised comments of your manager yesterday evening to the effect that Carlos Tevez would not be permitted to play for your club again, may I on behalf of Limavady United FC indicate our willingness to assist you with a difficult problem," his fax reads.

"We would be perfectly willing to take Mr Tevez on loan for the remainder of the season or until transfer, thereby permitting him to play football but without the risk of being cup-tied for the Champions League."

http://www.u.tv/Sport/Limavady-United-in-Tevez-loan-bid/9de9bb94-d752-43fa-ab7a-f706a87902e1

would be more humiliating then putting him reserves

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:53 pm

Hands up if you had heard of Limavady United before this publicity stunt!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehrts is god Thu 29 Sep 2011, 2:39 am

Let's be honest,this Argentinian Muppet is an overstayer and has been ever since he set foot in England. Just ban him or send him to Coventry-don't speak to him I mean,not Coventry City! Doh

Mehrts is god

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:19 am

jro786 wrote:

who cares what it does to him, he clearly dosent care about city or his team mates, so leave him to rot in the reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:10 pm

"The way he left so sharply from united, united would never ever sell to one of there biggest rivals and a player that good!!!. "

Fergie is not daft...he obviously knew the character of Tevez. He's not the first player he's got rid of and he wont be the last...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:37 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:
jro786 wrote:

who cares what it does to him, he clearly dosent care about city or his team mates, so leave him to rot in the reserves
I think jro wasn't meaning it will do more harm than good to Tevez personally but to City themselves as a club.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:52 pm

I actually think Manchester City are in a great position for this one. He is contracted for a long time so they can prolong the misery.

Put him in the reserves, make him play on Tuesday nights on terrible pitches, make him train with the youth squad, the minute he refuses, hit him with another fine.

Repeat this until he simply refuses to come in, sack him and take him to court and sue him to the eyeballs...

Citeh have the resource and funds to throw at this and that is exactly what they should do.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:56 pm

Man City hold the Aces and I hope for football's sake that they show a strong hand.

He has what 4 years left? They have no money problems and wouldn't bat an eyelid financially if they either sacked him or let him rot.

So make him play reserve football for the next 4 years, and fine him any time he steps out of line - doing this would practically end his career.

City could make a stand for the good of football and I for one hope they do

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:00 pm

finger crossed.

But Football is fickle world, there'll be some other club wanting to take a risk with him or he be back playing soon with a weeks wages fine.

But I agree Man City must make a stand, let him rot.
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 30 Sep 2011, 6:51 am

Paul Scholes has come out and said he understands Tevez:

Paul Scholes says he understands why Manchester City's Carlos Tevez apparently refused to warm up against Bayern Munich. Ex-Manchester United midfielder Scholes was unwilling to play in a League Cup tie in 2001, having been dropped for the previous game against Liverpool.

He stated what he did was "equally bad if not worse" than Tevez's situation. "I know Carlos quite well. He's a player who wants to be playing," Scholes told BBC Radio 5 live. When he's a sub, it will be killing him. It's totally up to the manager but Carlos wouldn't have been thinking that. He'll be thinking, 'The manager is against me, why is he not bringing me on? I'm City's best player and he's not playing me'. I'm not saying he [Tevez] is right - it's totally up to the manager."

Scholes, 36, refused to play for Sir Alex Ferguson after being selected in a weakened team for a November 2001 League Cup defeat by Arsenal, a day after being dropped for a Premier League defeat by rivals Liverpool.

And he added: "You think you should be playing and my head was all over the place. I thought he [Sir Alex Ferguson] was messing me about, wrongly really. It's up to him what he does with his team. I realise it was stupid. I let the manager down and it was something I regretted. It's probably similar to Carlos Tevez's state of mind if it is true he refused to come on."

Scholes insists he apologised to Ferguson soon afterwards and was fined a week's wages. He said: "Considering what I did, the manager was well within his rights to sack me and do whatever he wanted me to do with me. I went to apologise as soon as I realised I'd made a massive mistake. He fined me the maximum and that was it - the story was over and I think I played the next game."

The former England international retired in the wake of United's Champions League final defeat to Barcelona in May to take up a coaching role within the backroom staff at Old Trafford.

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15118581.stm

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:13 am

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3844938/West-Ham-in-bid-to-take-Man-City-outcast-Carlos-Tevez-on-loan.html

I can but dream of this....

What he did was wrong, but I can't muster it from within myself to dislike Tevez...he gave everything for us and he's always guaranteed love at Upton Park!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:24 am

bring him back to west ham, he played his heart out for us!

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Fri 30 Sep 2011, 5:29 pm

It's Friday afternoon and a lovely day outside. I wonder how many people up and down the country haven't bothered doing any work today?
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Fri 30 Sep 2011, 5:33 pm

Forward Pass wrote:
City are the only club who can afford to take this stand

Well no they can't. With Uefa's ridiculous Financial (un)Fair Play rules coming in, Man City need the money from any Tevez transfer if they want to compete with Man United, Barcelona and Real Madrid.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Sep 2011, 5:35 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:bring him back to west ham, he played his heart out for us!

He had a solid 6 month period where he was effectively in the shop window at Upton Park. Would have been interesting to have seen a similar level of application had he stayed another season. I hope he leaves the country myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Sep 2011, 6:42 pm

i would love to see him back at west ham

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 30 Sep 2011, 10:14 pm

this is something i found wandering through the sky sports site its called secret agent

Carlos Tevez's behaviour this week reminds me of a few players I've looked after in the past and indeed, some I currently represent. It's not just the marquee players that have their strops and tantrums.

The perception tends to be that it's always the Premier League stars who are the prima donnas, with the common man best represented by those players that ply their trade further down the football pyramid. However, as in all walks of life, at whatever level, there are good and bad apples. Just ask Graeme Souness.

That's not to say Tevez's behaviour wasn't indefensible. When most of us earn in a year what Carlos earns in a couple of days, it's difficult not to question his moral compass and even if he has one at all. But even players earning a modest salary have their moments and I've had first-hand experience of it as an agent.

Around three years ago I was approached by a manager to try to help a player who had gone off the rails. Gone off the rails is an understatement. He was actually in the middle of a six-month ban from the game.

I knew of the player as he was very talented and was being courted by a number of high profile clubs prior to his misdemeanour. I had seen the player a number of times in the flesh; he was young and gifted but you could tell by the way he conducted himself on the pitch that he had his demons.

Being a good judge of character is an important part of being a football agent. If you can gauge what makes managers and chairmen tick it can help build a rapport and enable you to secure a favourable deal for your client. Building a relationship with a player is usually easier as you're both on the same side but that's not to say we, as an agent body, don't get it wrong from time to time. It's this need to understand different mindsets which leads me to think all agents need to study psychology never mind the FA exam!

To this day I still fail to understand how some of my players think and act. It gets to a stage where I'm fire-fighting more often than not. After a while you have to make a decision; is all this hassle worth it? Will the potential loss of my reputation be worth what my client brings to the table? Is the player earning me a Tevez-style commission or is it better to cut him loose?

Anyway back to this player of mine.

We met and talked for a long time before finally arriving at the conclusion that as soon as his ban was over we would restart his career overseas. A fresh break and all that. I still had my doubts about spending a lot of time looking after this kid as even though he was adamant he was going to turn his career around, I couldn't help but think 'what have I left myself in for?'

I should have listened to those voices...

With a few weeks left of his ban to run I started to speak to a few low profile clubs in Europe. I deliberately chose smaller clubs so the player could slip back into the game quietly with little fuss. I found a suitable club and fair play to the lad he settled in quickly to his new surrounds, a different language and alien football culture. Double training sessions kept him focused and more importantly, out of trouble.

For the first month the main priority was to regain his fitness and sharpness after six months out the game; play a dozen or more games and take stock of the situation.

It all started brilliantly as he proved an instant hit in both creating and scoring goals to take his new club to the top of the table. There was the occasional run-in with the coach and a few late night binges in the local wine bars, but whilst he was playing well and scoring the occasional blind eye was turned.

'You can take the English out of England but you can't take England out of the English!' was the phrase I repeatedly told the foreign coach.

How long would I get away with using that as an excuse was something that troubled me constantly, as my pleas to my player often went unheeded. His rehabilitation continued to go well though as he was fitter than he'd ever been when in England and his undoubted talent was really shining through. He was even enjoying himself and surprisingly, given he was a bit of a Neanderthal, he actually started to embrace the culture of the country.

The club's results and the player's performances were starting to get noticed by clubs from the top tier and before we knew it he was on trial (in a football sense thankfully) at a club with a good European pedigree.

An 18-month contract was offered, as was a significant pay rise, a car and a flat in the capital. All within six months of moving. It couldn't have gone any better even if I'd dreamt it. We would have been both happy if he'd played a season in his adopted country, kept a low profile, moved back to England in the summer and secured a club in League Two. That would have been a happy conclusion to a well-planned project.

To sign for a top flight club with European history was a bonus neither of us had anticipated. The time and effort spent seemed to be paying dividends. Did I have my own Englishman abroad a la Owen Hargreaves or was it going to turn into Karl Pilkington's idiot abroad? I think you all know the answer to that one!

The first few weeks at his new club started well enough. We didn't expect that he would be starting in the first team for a while yet. He was some way off the level of the first team in terms of fitness but he got his head down and worked hard.

It was a very strict football club, professional to its core, and they didn't stand for any lateness or larking around inside or outside of the business. The player was finding it hard to fit in with a regimental way of life and before we knew it cracks started to appear. He didn't go off the rails or cause undue problems but he wasn't enjoying himself.

It was when he was loaned out for the rest of the season to play games that it all started to unravel. He had arguments with the coach and frequently turned up late for training. That's if he actually turned up at all after heavy nights out on the beer. The season ended and he was given a warning to his future conduct and told to return for pre-season fit and ready to work.

Pre-season arrived but he didn't. I tried to get in contact with him with no joy. I visited his mum's house to no avail, while numerous text messages and voice mails were left answered. A week after pre-season was due to start he finally got in touch and the excuses started.

He said he'd crashed his car and had been in hospital with broken ribs. After some detective work I found out that wasn't the case at all. He was holed up in his new girlfriend's flat refusing to go back. It didn't take Ironside to work out he was full of...

Obviously he wasn't getting paid by his club and the money had run out. He then asked me to find him a club in England League Two, anywhere. He was still under contract and quite rightly his club refused to cancel his registration. Eventually the player went back to the club but they dug their heals in and only cancelled his contract after three or four months of protracted arguments.

I had already decided enough was enough and said good luck to the lad but for my reputation I couldn't keep grovelling to clubs to take a chance on him, only for him to do it all again.

It was a lesson learnt for me. Sometimes you have to go with your gut instinct and say no when you look after a 'tainted' player. The things is, and the same can be said for managers up and down the leagues, sometimes you can't help but think with a talented player it's worth the gamble. In my case for a while it looked like a good decision and I was proud of how I'd helped turn his left around but when the demons returned we were back at square one. And I was left with the square root of nothing for my efforts.

I'm glad to say the player is now back in England and playing at a very good level of league football and doing well. I hope he continues to progress and uses the talent that he has undoubtedly got to good use. I hope one day he feels that I helped in his career. He's still got a way to go to convince everyone that he's turned the corner for good, but for now it's going well.

That said, if he ever pulls the same stunt as Tevez did in midweek I'll be on the blower giving him my two-penneth. He'd expect nothing less. I wonder if Kia will be doing likewise this week?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Oct 2011, 10:26 am

unfortunately man.city rejected a loan bid from west ham

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down