The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post Season - Reviews - Annoyances - General Banter

+21
Diggers
barragan
Davie
navyblueshorts
Noshankingtonite
Nay
kwinigolfer
GWR-Golfer
SmithersJones
oldparwin
JPX
Skydriver
Lairdy
Hibbz
McLaren
Doon the Water
Mercurio
Rossa
drive4show
super_realist
Maverick
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Post Season - Reviews - Annoyances - General Banter Empty Post Season - Reviews - Annoyances - General Banter

Post by Maverick Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:38 am

So with the finish of the Tour Championship & FedEx the US tour strolls into it's fall series events. The ET is begining to come to it's end of regular season with a biggie at the Alfred Dunhill after which many top players will go into hibernation up until the RTD climax. October is upon us and winter tee's and greens are being prepped around the nation ready for Winter golf meaning were heading into non-qualifying competition season.

1. This brings me to the point of asking everyone how did you season go? What goals did you achieve and what ones were a little to far out of reach? What Competitions did you win or suffer crushing defeat in.

2. What equipment have you puchased that you feel is worth a look to others with the exception of belly putters!....

3. Whats or who has annoyed you this season and why? What can be done to change it!

4. Finally have you enjoyed the banter this year and what stands out in your mind...

I'll go first.....

1. Start of the year went well, Won a medal, Won a major comp our Club Masters event in it's first ever year. Managed to win the Parent child event with Mavette.... After that a complete wash out with ACL injury and only just resumed playing 6 months later and just happy to be back on the course. My goal pre season was to get to +1 and i'm currently 0.1 away from achieveing that so not all bad.

2. Purchased a pair of Adams Puglielli Black Wedges absolutely amazing and woould highly recommend them to all, check them out for yourself at http://www.adamsgolf.com/products/shortgame/puglielli_black.php

Also bought upon impulse a new putter as since my Scotty was stolen last year struggled to settle and the impulse buy for £50 (RRP is £65 got some discount) of a Benross Doral PureRed putter - white headed version has this month restored my belief on the greens and feels better than all the other expensive ones I have, though I would only suggest this putter for those that like the classic blade look - http://www.benrossgolf.com/index.php?page=doral+pure+red+putter

3. The biggest thing that annoyed me this year was sitting on the sidelines after injury and having to watch the Open from my armchair as I couldn't fully walk the course despite having tickets to all 4 days. They went to a good cause, what can be done to prevent in future is purely keeping fit and healthy whilst not overdoing it.

4. I always enjoy the banter with whoever I play, loved the banter on here and some of the heated debates even the ones that get taken personally.

My one singular highlight of this year has been watching my little lass develop and fall in love with the game.

So thats my review - annoyances etc.... Whats yours ?

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post Season - Reviews - Annoyances - General Banter Empty Re: Post Season - Reviews - Annoyances - General Banter

Post by super_realist Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:55 am

Good article Mav.

1. Won nothing at either of my clubs but won a 36 hole Open and shot some good scores. Most proud of my -3 at The Castle which I consider the toughest course I've played. I have also managed to recover many bad starts to respectable scores, which certainly represents an improvement in my mental approach.

2. Haven't realy bought anything other than a couple of CG15 wedges. Nothing spectacular about them although I think they are heavier which seems to feel better.

3. Biggest annoyance. Starting a new job will mean fewer evening golf opportunities unless I also add a further club in Edinburgh.

4. Have enjoyed the banter especially from OP, Diggers and even Mac, who I hope are not taking things too personally.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post Season - Reviews - Annoyances - General Banter Empty Re: Post Season - Reviews - Annoyances - General Banter

Post by drive4show Wed 28 Sep 2011, 12:04 pm

Overall, a so-so year for me. Lots of good points, a few bad ones.

1) No competition wins for me but target at the start of the year was to get to Cat 1 which I achieved so job done. Due to working an hour away from the course, didn't enter any K/O's this year as always prefer to play them midweek rather than weekends.

2) I'm an equipment junkie, constantly buying bits of kit. This year I've bought MD driver and 3 wood. The 3 wood is superb, love the head on the driver but the shaft isn't quite right, bit too much flex in the tip so will look at getting it reshafted. Bought a pair of the new Adidas 360 ATV shoes, like slippers straight from the first round. Also bought a Scotty Newport putter 2nd hand, a pair of Ping Tour S wedges and new Sunice goretex trousers (superb!)

3) Biggest disappointment was my DQ from club championship when I was in 3rd place after the first round. Well documented on here, won't go into it again.

4) Had some great highlights, loved the meets at Saunton, OFM, Bournemouth and Carnoustie with JAS. Also had a few games with puligny (where has he gone??) and need to arrange another one with him soon back at my place. Love the banter on here and everyone (without exception) that I've met up with have been really top guys.

Overall, a pretty good year I think...........

Very Happy

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Wed 28 Sep 2011, 12:07 pm

1. Lost greensomes matchplay final, won 3 monthly medals cut form 18 to 14... not bad. Target was 12, was hoping to shoot in the 70s on my home course as well, best is 82. Decent year though considering my golfng practice has been curtailed by wedding preparations... We have qualifying comps throughout the year so its not over yet!

2. Bought a set of Mizuno mx23s at the start of the year. Superb clubs and a mint second hand bargain at £200.

3. Most signififcant annoyances, some sporadic back trouble... on the whole can't complain.

4. Banter has been ok generally, bring back LJ...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 28 Sep 2011, 12:13 pm

3) Biggest disappointment was my DQ from club championship when I was in 3rd place after the first round. Well documented on here, won't go into it again.

Must;'ve missed that D4S. From a playing persective my biggest issue this year was not being able to play the Club Championship even though I was elligible

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 28 Sep 2011, 12:39 pm

Maverick wrote:

Must;'ve missed that D4S. From a playing persective my biggest issue this year was not being able to play the Club Championship even though I was elligible

I missed it, too!

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 28 Sep 2011, 2:01 pm

Bought new BB driver and 3 wood both working well.
Best move was paying £5 for a nearly new Oddesey{?} putter at Maidens School Fete. My putting is now fairly solid with very few 3 putts.

My game is steady so as I am getting older and hitting it shorter I am quite happy.

Big dissapointment was playing my worst golf of the year when playing with Jaz and my daughter. I don't get much chance to play with my daughter and when we meet we generally both play well.

Highlight was a great day out at St Andrews and six weeks of some wonderful early season weather.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 28 Sep 2011, 2:20 pm

1. Not great, I base a good season on the number of courses I play, well ones I enjoy anyway. Due to a combination of poor weather and timing of events/holidays I have not played as many courses as normal. The annual trip to St Andrews was a highlight.

2. Nothing new this season

3. Mav and SR. In mavs case he needs to stop reading the sun and daily mail and SR just needs to accept those who like the TOC, Marxism and bubbly.

As always, what stands out for me is the continuing quality of kwini's ballwasher. Quite possibly the best source of non standard PGA tour info in the UK.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 28 Sep 2011, 2:23 pm

3. Mav and SR. In mavs case he needs to stop reading the sun and daily mail and SR just needs to accept those who like the TOC, Marxism and bubbly.

Sorry to disapoint MAC but I can't stop reading those, as i'd have to begin in the first place! In fact I do not read any newspapers at all, maybe you could just accept your opinion is not always the one we have or should have...

But im not getting embroiled in another debate where you take personal anything that I happen to disagree with

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 28 Sep 2011, 2:52 pm

1. I had a reasonable season. Never lower than 5.5, never higher than 6.3 despite playing roughly 30-40 qualifying rounds. Currently 5.7 so with a bit of luck and a following breeze you never know. Finished third in the club champs but that's more down to a paucity of great players at my club rather than any great skill on my part.

2. Finally purchased an electric trolley after nearly two years uming and ahing and saying I can't get one I'm not forty yet. I absolutely adore it too. Almost scary amount of love for an inanimate object.

3. Mr Maverick's inability to differentiate between there, their and they're, your and you're and where, we're and were. Further education?

4. See above.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 28 Sep 2011, 2:54 pm

Hibbz wrote:1. I had a reasonable season. Never lower than 5.5, never higher than 6.3 despite playing roughly 30-40 qualifying rounds. Currently 5.7 so with a bit of luck and a following breeze you never know. Finished third in the club champs but that's more down to a paucity of great players at my club rather than any great skill on my part.

2. Finally purchased an electric trolley after nearly two years uming and ahing and saying I can't get one I'm not forty yet. I absolutely adore it too. Almost scary amount of love for an inanimate object.

3. Mr Maverick's inability to differentiate between there, their and they're, your and you're and where, we're and were. Further education?

4. See above.

Seems as though everyone is having open season on Mav today, bring it on if lifes that insignificant, that my grammar is your only bug bear in life in fact i'll take it as a compliment. With regards to further education no thanks I worked for a living

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:02 pm

Unlucky Mav, what with having to work for a living and all. The mere thought makes an educated man like myself chortle into my Dostoyevsky. What a peasant you are, bugger me you have to laugh at the notion of working.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:07 pm

Rather a peasant with a good work ethic Mac than a spoilt git that does nothing. Nothing unlucky about working for a living anyway mac, means more life experience and i've had and still do have a good life that I wouldn't swap with anyone

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:08 pm

Dear oh dear Mac, if we're talking about a lack of education then you've exhibited some of the worst spelling out of anybody over the time V2 has been active.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:13 pm

Mav

I am glad to hear the peasants are working hard and in such good spirits these days.

Super

Cant argue with that, spelling has never been my strong point.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:21 pm

Dont you worry Mac, you sit up in your ivory tower, looking down on us peasants who have real lives and real woman to keep us satisfied unlike those made up witches that will get you put on a specialy register...

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:26 pm

1. Main goal was to get from 15.4 to Cat 2. Sitting at 13.9 with one medal to go and I'm not too bothered if it doesnt happen for me. Hit a purple patch around the club champ equivalent for +10s where I made it through the 36hole qualifier. Put out in the quarters in first year of entering anything like that so chuffed with that. Played some more courses, which was also an aim this year. Came 6th at Monifieth open.

2. Can't remember if it was this year or last but 4i MP FliHi is a great alternative to hybrids if you dont like them. Footjoy AQL's are good value for money.

3. Havent played enough medals to take advantage of better play 2nd half of summer. Only played 11 medals all year. Really annoyed at that. So many weddings this year so I guess dont go to as many next year?? In first half of season I didnt trust my swing. Played better when I just trusted what I had but misses were still too big really. Now working on swing - took lesson, identified problem. Lessons and practice over winter to sort it!

4. Getting accustomed to the on course banter. Always prepared to laugh at myself!
V2 banter is getting a bit repetitive tbh.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:26 pm

Mav

I never know if you are being serious or not when you take offense at my comments?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:28 pm

Mac i've taken no offence to any of your comments so far so please keep them coming

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:33 pm

McLaren wrote:Mav

I never know if you are being serious or not when you take offense at my comments?

...!

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:40 pm

oh god please hang me now as I have committed the most heinous crime. It is true I hit the s and not the c key. Oh please do it soon, I can barely live with the guilt of what I have done to you all.

Skydiver should be rewarded with great honour and public appreciation for helping to put right my terrible crimes and take a man like myself from the streets. How will the people of 606v2 ever repay you skydiver?

Now to the noose for me...............
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:01 pm

There is educated and intelligent, I think I would just about scrape into the second category.
I have met many educated folk who are pretty dim.
I left school at 15 years old and managed to get by with the help of two brilliant secretaries and finally the wonderful 'spell check'.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:09 pm

Very true Doon, I know a guy who got both a First from Edinburgh in Chem.Eng and A top ranked Masters yet if you locked him in a room with a tin of beans, a tin opener and just him, there would only be one winner.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:13 pm

Doon the Water wrote:There is educated and intelligent, I think I would just about scrape into the second category.
I have met many educated folk who are pretty dim.
I left school at 15 years old and managed to get by with the help of two brilliant secretaries and finally the wonderful 'spell check'.
Do tell!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:17 pm

super_realist wrote:Very true Doon, I know a guy who got both a First from Edinburgh in Chem.Eng and A top ranked Masters yet if you locked him in a room with a tin of beans, a tin opener and just him, there would only be one winner.

Rather than mocking him for his inability to open a can maybe you should congratulate him on his skills in Chemical Engineering? There are plenty of people able to open cans, far fewer with his skills so who would you say was more useful to society as a whole?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:48 pm

I've had a cr@p year. I think I'm all golfed out, I haven't touched a club for 3 weeks which is my longest time without golf since I started I think. Supposed to be playing in a county tournament on Sunday but I might not bother, I can't raise any motivation.

What's angered me? Egotistical shoites who think they are so good at golf that they don't need to show any manners or etiquatte.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:49 pm

Hibbz,

True.
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed 28 Sep 2011, 4:59 pm

Not a good year for me, except for winning one of big matchplay comps at my club, now cant wait to see my name on one of the boards in the clubhouse.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 28 Sep 2011, 5:24 pm

1. Disappointed not to have lowered my handicap, but highlight has to be winning the 606V2 Southern Open!

2. Almost by accident I've replaced just about every club. Nike Pro Combo irons are great, as is 910F 4 wood. Only played one round with the new putter, Rife Aruba, but after 4 putting the first (putting green was closed so didn't get a chance to putt before teeing off Doh) it was superb once I got the pace right. Would thoroughly recommend all of the new clubs I've bought.

3. Long putters are annoying me lately. It seems the old adage 'if they were that good the top pros would all be using them' is starting to look more like a prophecy.

4. It is getting a bit repetitive, and I too lament the banning of LJ. As for dividing along the lines of the spells and the spell nots, even as a self-confessed pedant I find that a bit sad.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 28 Sep 2011, 6:02 pm

I to don't get the LJ ban, far to harsh a punishment IMO. Something I had no hand or input into. I also think that posters on here myself included need to realise this is a forum for debate and we don't have agree on everything and it certainly personally as it seems to be by some. Also as for spelling and grammar yes I like others may not get it right at all times but then that does not make someone thick or in need of further education. Many are just rush posting as they are at work or even using smart phones with small screens. Spelling is not a measure of someones intelligence if that were the case then we have a lot of thick doctors and CEO's in this country.

Personally speaking I don't care who ridicules my spelling, gammar or background but let's remember not everyone is as thick skinned.

Also bring back LJ

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by GWR-Golfer Wed 28 Sep 2011, 6:22 pm

Been an interesting year for me:

- Following my knee operation last year I struggled and then ended up having another one last week - so I now need a few months to recover again!

- Got a new set of Ping Anser irons - taken me a while to get used to the new shafts and the slightly heavier clubs - but I LUV them, now ordered 3 of the new wedges

- Came 5th in the club championship (3-putted 8 times in 36-holes) so on reflection there was a period when I played ok

- Won all 5 of my matches at my "Ryder Cup" ..... much to the annoyance of the other guys

So a very up and down year - keeping my fingers crossed that the knee Op is successful this time
GWR-Golfer
GWR-Golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 28 Sep 2011, 6:38 pm

1).Was hoping to progess from bloody awful to just about presentable and failed miserably, largely due to sodden courses after terrible snows and spring floods. Just got going again and Irene heralded a soaking autumn. So far.

2).No new equipment but love the Ecco shoes I bought right at the end of last year. More comfortable than slippers and so far very hard-wearing. (Ecco make great products in my experience.)

3).Life is way too short to be too annoyed at anything to do with golf. But Ian Baker Finch, Mark Rolfing, Curtis Strange and Mike Tirico come close.

4).Still enjoy all the chat, discussion, insight and camaraderie on 606v2 but miss some lost friends who didn't make the trip. Including Puligny, d4s!

"Singular highlight"? Seeing my son play the quality of golf that I could only dream about.

Mac is very kind but all the discussions on here tend to be very respectful and think we should all be grateful for that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 28 Sep 2011, 7:24 pm

Lairdy
One worked with me for 8 years the other 7 years.
They were both cracking looking women but more importantly they were good at their job and they kept me organised and in control.
The later lady ran the block bookings and was a well dressed statuesque blonde. When she met and gret the visiting societies I had to go out afterwards and mop the floor with all the drool puddles about.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 28 Sep 2011, 7:51 pm

I'm surprised/puzzled at McLaren's response to my attempt at pointing out an example of irony in this thread (with the underlying intention of bringing the discussion back to lighthearted humour). No accusation or offence intended to anyone, but nevertheless, if he felt insulted, I apologise.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed 28 Sep 2011, 7:53 pm

Doon
I went through secretaries like there was no tomorrow, by the time they could read my handwriting they would leave, but what spoiled me was, I did have an absolute cracker, who came from South Africa, and she was absolutely brilliant, worked for me for just over 10 years, then her Grandfather died, and she had to go home.

The computer is now all I am allowed, I do miss them (no one else to blame when files go missing)

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Wed 28 Sep 2011, 8:09 pm

1. Improved greatly including best round of 88 and did not finish last in works golf tournament, Need to improve in the mental side of game, as this costs me more shots than any other issue at present.

2. Start of year, bought new driver, woods, Irons, and bought a couple of wedges mid year, new bag, All have helped game,

3. Most annoying is as stated my mental declines mid round, and my continual belief that i should be able to hit the ball much further with brute force, and not technique (these issues both come during indifferent rounds) which will be leading to a new thread soon

4. Managed to persuade my friend to take up the game, so we can literally tear up the course together, nothing worse than playing with someone who is just so much better than you

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 28 Sep 2011, 8:10 pm

OPW~Changed world.
I remember when I was scared of word processors.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 28 Sep 2011, 8:43 pm

Hibbz wrote:
super_realist wrote:Very true Doon, I know a guy who got both a First from Edinburgh in Chem.Eng and A top ranked Masters yet if you locked him in a room with a tin of beans, a tin opener and just him, there would only be one winner.

Rather than mocking him for his inability to open a can maybe you should congratulate him on his skills in Chemical Engineering? There are plenty of people able to open cans, far fewer with his skills so who would you say was more useful to society as a whole?

Hibbz, are you actually being serious? I used it as example to show that academic achievement isn't always combined with intelligence or common sense. I'm sure everyone knows someone similar.
I'm sure that with his six figure job, Porsche and flash pad he doesn't need me congratulating him. It's actually a running joke amongst that particular circle of friends, so thanks for the patronising response, but he doesn't need me blowing smoke up his backside.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 28 Sep 2011, 8:50 pm

Do you think the guys in charge of the Edinburgh tram system or the NHS computer network were well educated?

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 28 Sep 2011, 8:55 pm

Doon,
Given that I see the Edinburgh tram fiasco everyday it's pretty clear that while they may have had a good education, the people in charge of tendering, contracts and construction progress haven't made a very good job of the project management or project delivery element.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 28 Sep 2011, 9:04 pm

SR
I think it all went AWOL at planning stage, way before tendering and contracts.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed 28 Sep 2011, 9:08 pm

Doon

I thought those prestigious jobs, you only got through inheritance, ok going to the right uni is important, but no need to do any studying, as daddy would buy you the appropriate paper work

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 28 Sep 2011, 9:12 pm

The guys in charge of the nhs network are certainly a cluster of monkeys pretending to have intelligence. I used to have a major contract with them for the Medway NHS foundation trust putting the pieces back together that they messied up internally, very lucrative for me and it's that which allowed me to sell that business off and concentrate on my other one and spend more time with my family. So as bad as it was I've had an input in putting at least a small portion of it right and more importantly has allowed me to reduce my work load by selling off a company with a large contract

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 28 Sep 2011, 9:14 pm

OP, I think there's probably a fair bit of truth to that. There's a high percentage of numpties in pretty good jobs these days but who could barely tie a shoelace.

Doon, part of the problem for the ongoing tram saga was the poorly written contracts which pretty much allowed the contractor to do the job how they like and the council have no comeback because they wrote a rubbish contract document.
Typical council behaviour and ineptitude.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Wed 28 Sep 2011, 9:52 pm

super_realist wrote:
Hibbz wrote:

Hibbz, are you actually being serious? I used it as example to show that academic achievement isn't always combined with intelligence or common sense. I'm sure everyone knows someone similar.
I'm sure that with his six figure job, Porsche and flash pad he doesn't need me congratulating him. It's actually a running joke amongst that particular circle of friends, so thanks for the patronising response, but he doesn't need me blowing smoke up his backside.

My own brother exemplifies what you are talking about here. Masters Degree in Geography, uber intelligent but has none of what my old fella UncleAlbert1934 says is very important in life. He says Noshanking - trouble with your brother; he's very intelligent, but he's got none of what we (in the Navy) call CDF = Common Dog F**k
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:05 pm

Best one I heard was a tender document for a Birmingham park that said an area of grass had to be cut four times a year at a specified height.
The smarty contractor cut it four times on the same day!

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:20 pm

It was interesting to see on today's news that the education system in England and Wales seems to be streamlining kids for uni and giving up on those not reaching the required standard.

IMO that has been happening for far too long in Scotland. Here we have an outstanding education system for the bright kids but churn out thousands of young adults who can barely read or write.

There are kids who do not want to be educated but if they had the chance to leave school at 14 or 15 years to take up a trades related apprenticeship they would probably do well.

I do a voluntary job at my local primary school to teach the kids gardening.
I apply basic mathematics and science where possible to help them see how important they are to every day jobs. It is interesting for me to see them make the connections.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:31 pm

As for my year - a mixed bag to be perfectly honest, but I've come out of it a bit stronger and wiser. Having joined my current club in the Cotswolds in October after several years in the 'social golf only wilderness' following the usual pattern of Noshanking relationship renewal & breakup clusterf**k, I'm happy but not content with where my game is right now.

Started with 20 handicap which is at 17 - but I feel could and should be a lot better. I work more hours than I want and ergo practice less than I need to (a common lament in this post-Lehman Brothers apocolypto so many of us find ourselves resigned to). Won one medal this year and won all the team matchplay events I entered against other clubs (I find 4-ball better ball a great format).

Kit-wise; got used to Ping G15 irons - not pretty clubs but solid. Taylormade Superfast Burner range have been excellent - driver has virtually eliminated horrible slice, Burner 3-wood best I've ever owned in 30+ years of playing the game and the white-headed Superfast Burner hybrid (which I was very sceptical about) has been superb off tee and the deck.

I was a 'Johnny come lately' on the old 606 forum and I strongly feel this forum is much better (whatever you decide to call it - always remember the contributors are the GLUE that hold everything together). In fact it has been excellent seeing the old 606 crew gradually migrate across to this forum, but equally rewarding to welcome new characters to this experience who are already becoming legends with their witty insight and original perspective on golf and life.

I have to say (and this is perhaps a critical point I'm making here) that I log onto this site 5 days at least per week. I've met several of the 606 legends, played alongside them and have enjoyed the experience as much as anything I've ever done in over 30 years of playing the game. I absolutely respect other people's views and appreciate I'm unlikely to agree with a lot of people. It's funny how you can change. I was having a beer with another 606 member a while back and we were commenting on Super and we were both laughing out loud in the clubhouse because we actually realised that we agree with a lot of what he says, but often we ain't got the b@lls to tell it like he does.

I really miss LJ on here. Having met the guy and his wife and baby you realise that he is totally different than the way he was perceived on here. And even if you didn't agree with a lot of what he said; you have to admit that his contribution and advice and companionship is sorely missed - he has left a hole whether you like to admit it or not. Would loved to have had a day out with LJ, Mav, Smithers, NBS, Drive, JAS and the other Southern posse, just as I would love to meet Super, Mac, Doon, Gael and the other folks north of the border.

Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:38 pm

NST I'm well up for a meet post christman somewhere for some beers, a curry oh and a spot of golf too, especially if we can get a few of us together and then maybe an away trip for the southern boys to north of the border for an overall get together ryder cup style. I would happily have done it this year but with the knee having been out of action for so long and Mrs Mav due to pop out a new mini mav in the next 7 days anything pre january is now out the window so to speak!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:46 pm

MAV - sounds great and good luck with impending birth. Have you thought about tying a knot in it - or as I did making a trip to that Friday afternoon clinic where they bring out the local and the soldering iron Yikes

Yes the meets are really important I think because it makes for banter being more personal without being impersonal and why not exploit the benefits of the greatest social game out there....
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next