The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pre-match MTO?

+6
Positively 4th Street
Tenez
Mad for Chelsea
laverfan
invisiblecoolers
bogbrush
10 posters

Go down

Pre-match MTO? Empty Pre-match MTO?

Post by bogbrush Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:34 pm

Surely yet another record for the Spaniard!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Pre-match MTO? Empty Re: Pre-match MTO?

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:29 am

I guess he went for a bathroom break after breaking Fish to lead 2-0 in the 3rd set, Fish had no clue where Rafa was, and umpire [Who was spanish if I am right] had to explain the situation to Fish, I am not sure bathroom breaks are allowed in between the set, certainly not sportive from Rafa, the worst is Umpire didn't react to the situation.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:20 am

Mohammed Lahayani is Swedish, not Spanish.

Here are the rules from the ATP Rule Book, 2011.

O.Toilet Break

1) A player may be permitted to leave the court for a toilet break.

A player is entitled to one (1) toilet break during a best of three set match and two (2) toilet breaks during a best of five set match.

Toilet breaks should be taken on a set break and can be used for no other purpose.

a) For doubles, each team is entitled to a total of two (2) toilet breaks in all matches. If partners leave the court together, it counts as one (1) of the team’s authorized breaks.

2) Any time a player leaves the court for a toilet break, it is considered one of the
authorized breaks regardless of whether or not the opponent has left the court.

3) Any toilet break taken after the warm-up has started is considered one of the authorized breaks. Additional breaks will be authorized, but will be penalized in accordance with the Point Penalty Schedule if the player is not ready within the allowed time.

Toilet Visit Case: In a best of three (3) set match, a player has used his one toilet visit. The player informs the chair umpire that at the next changeover he would like to take another toilet visit prior to his serving.

Decision: The chair umpire may allow a player to leave the court but must inform the player that any delay beyond the 90 seconds will be penalized in accordance with the Point Penalty Schedule.

Toilet Visit: When Does Play Resume?

Case: After play has been suspended for an authorized toilet visit, when does the “clock” start to resume play?

Decision: When the player returns to the court and has had the opportunity to retrieve his racquet, then the chair umpire should announce “Time”. This announcement shall signal the players to resume the match.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:38 am

Rafa took more than 2 mts [if apt should be around 2 mts 30 secs] and thats not during sets nor during changeover.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:19 am

the guy had all the momentum before his toilet break, went off to throw up (apparently) and you're having a go at him for that? I mean, how would that break serve his purpose? He lost all the momentum as a result of it.

Layani clearly explained to Fish that he was allowing Rafa the break then so as not to disrupt Fish's rhythm before one of his service games, which is sensible and what a lot of people are calling for. There's nothing in the rules that says it must be done during a set change or at a changeover, just tht it should be done during a set change. Given they were at the start of the third set, there was no way it could be, so the umpire made the absolutely correct call in my book.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:28 am

I don;t think we should have a go at Nadal for being unwell. However we shoudl have a go at the fact that this player is showing many signs of physical troubles. Didn't he say he had a shoulder injury just before coming to London?Hasn't played for 2 months and should feel very rested. But once again he arrives with physical problems, pale with shots landing just past the net or goes for lobs. He has 5 months where he is like a walking dynamite and another 6 or 7 months where he comes with weird fevers, injuries and other physiological trouble. It's bizarre. Isn't he a top athlete?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:41 am

He probably ate something that disagreed with him, happens to everyone, sure he'll be fine in a couple of days. I blame the paella...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:04 am

The article wasn't even about the bog break.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:46 am

Tenez wrote:I don;t think we should have a go at Nadal for being unwell. However we shoudl have a go at the fact that this player is showing many signs of physical troubles. Didn't he say he had a shoulder injury just before coming to London?Hasn't played for 2 months and should feel very rested. But once again he arrives with physical problems, pale with shots landing just past the net or goes for lobs. He has 5 months where he is like a walking dynamite and another 6 or 7 months where he comes with weird fevers, injuries and other physiological trouble. It's bizarre. Isn't he a top athlete?

Being a top athlete does note preclude you from injury, if anything it makes you more susceptible as you are often playing/training/competing at the limit.

When will it dawn on you that the surface is a major factor in Nadal's performance? Even in Rotterdam during his 'dynamite' phase he has looked a pale imitation of how he is immediately before or afterwards. I guarantee that he will look much better in the Davis Cup final, outdoor in the mild weather on clay. Sometimes the obvious answer is the right one.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:00 am

I guarantee you he will look better by the end of this week.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 am

Tenez wrote:I guarantee you he will look better by the end of this week.

You betcha

Angry looks, louder grunts and heavier spin is on it's way

And once again we'll see there's no other player whose game depends on the physical welfare as much as Nadal's

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:15 pm

The guy looked in a bad way after the 1st set...he's obviously been working physically hard in the 5 weeks between events...infact I wonder if he's been doing too much in his bid to increase conditioning.

Its not inconceivable he could have weakened his immune system by over-training (this is a constant issue for track athletes) which could even let in something like mono...time will tell whether he's got a 24hr bug or something longer lasting. But after 5 weeks off, clearly something wasnt right last night given the fact he went off court to throw up.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:40 pm

bogbrush wrote:The article wasn't even about the bog break.

So what was it about? Erm

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Indeed LF. Having his thumb taped up before play started is hardly breaking news...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:49 pm

Finger taping (I believe)

Radio commentator felt it was very disrespectful to both your opponent and spectators to delay proceedings doing something which could and should have been sorted in dressing room. His view was that once on court you should be "ready to go"

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:01 pm

lags72 wrote:Finger taping (I believe)

Radio commentator felt it was very disrespectful to both your opponent and spectators to delay proceedings doing something which could and should have been sorted in dressing room. His view was that once on court you should be "ready to go"

Yep, that was what I was referring to.

It's of a part with the rest of the stupid delays. At least Jimmy Connors acknowledged that he was doing all this psyching out stuff.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:02 pm

I think it happened during the warm-up, which can't really be legislated for.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Yes, it occurred during the warm-up. And so what if it did....
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Nadal is fair honest and humble, he's won the Stefan Edberg award 6 times already.

Oh wait that's someone else.. Whistle
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:45 pm

Positively 4th Street wrote:

I think it happened during the warm-up, which can't really be legislated for.

In which case, fair enough

(although you can't help thinking these delays do seem to be a regular feature where Rafa's concerned ......)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:46 pm

lydian wrote:Yes, it occurred during the warm-up. And so what if it did....

Yes, I'm convinced that there was no avoiding it. I mean, it's not as if he has any track record for arsing players around before matches is it?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Nadal is known to exaggerate an injury, if you see his match with Del Po at Wimbledon, then how he performed in his next matches, you'll understand it..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:34 pm

bogbrush wrote:
lydian wrote:Yes, it occurred during the warm-up. And so what if it did....

Yes, I'm convinced that there was no avoiding it. I mean, it's not as if he has any track record for arsing players around before matches is it?

Perhaps he was in the loo all the time (getting rid of Fish ( or Salmon Wink ) ) in the locker room and did not have time to get his fingers taped. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down