The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shane Williams greater than Gareth Edwards?

+19
pontylad
kiakahaaotearoa
Glas a du
offload
blackcanelion
Messymesina
TycroesOsprey
B91212
dummy_half
bedfordwelsh
Knowsit17
maestegmafia
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Luckless Pedestrian
CurlyOsp
Portnoy
red_stag
Turkster
westernosprey
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Will Williams be regarded as the greatest Welsh player of all time?

Shane Williams greater than Gareth Edwards? - Page 2 Vote_lcap22%Shane Williams greater than Gareth Edwards? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 8 ]
Shane Williams greater than Gareth Edwards? - Page 2 Vote_lcap78%Shane Williams greater than Gareth Edwards? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 78% 
[ 29 ]

Total Votes : 37

Shane Williams greater than Gareth Edwards? - Page 2 Empty Shane Williams greater than Gareth Edwards?

Post by westernosprey Wed 30 Nov 2011, 1:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Once he retires completely from rugby does anyone think he will be regarded as a better player than the great Edwards?

I know that players today can't always be compared to Edwards, but Williams has had a lot more caps, scored a lot more tries & has popped up all over the backline in various positions during important parts of the game. Also Williams has played in some awful Wales teams and scored great tries against some of the best teams in the world. Wales in the 70's were one of the most consistent international sides of their day & some might say it was easier for certain players to shine.

Personally I think Williams will be regarded as the great of the greats in time to come. When he first joined Neath I could tell that he was a freak of nature and we may never see a player like him again.

westernosprey

Back to top Go down

Shane Williams greater than Gareth Edwards? - Page 2 Empty Re: Shane Williams greater than Gareth Edwards?

Post by overlordofthewest Sat 03 Dec 2011, 10:45 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
BlueNote wrote:I know it was only a silly game, but the measure of Edwards is that filling Brian Moore's mouth game.
Erm, that was faked.
Laugh Laugh Laugh

He only had 1 or 2 and they replayed it over and over, it was a joke.

On a serious note though, I've enjoyed watching Shane over the years. He's been a shining light in both very good and very poor Welsh sides.
The comparison however is unfair on him. If you were to ask the players from Gareths day who was the best player they ever played with/against, his name would crop up more often than not. I doubt if this would be true of Shane.
I do think of him as a Welsh great though and think he will be spoken of in years to come as one of the best wingers to play for Wales.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2