The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023?

+76
fa0019
beshocked
blackcanelion
alive555
broadlandboy
monwy
wolfball
TightHEAD
Mad for Chelsea
Bathman_in_London
Cyril
HammerofThunor
bedfordwelsh
asoreleftshoulder
anotherworldofpain
LordDowlais
sugarNspikes
dallym
Rava
funnyExiledScot
Jenifer McLadyboy
Mickado
Argie fan
Exiledinborders
Notch
Duigers
Morgannwg
GunsGerms
Sin é
Josiah Maiestas
brennomac
Feckless Rogue
Intotouch
ScarletSpiderman
yappysnap
Cumbrian
LeinsterFan4life
sportform
nganboy
mystiroakey
emack2
Tommy David lookalike
Pot Hale
Glas a du
miteyironpaw
The Great Aukster
idris
doctor_grey
Biltong
leinsterman123
Golden
whocares
Red Right
Pal Joey
Artful_Dodger
Knowsit17
LondonTiger
Vaden
geoff998rugby
PropositionJoe
SecretFly
gowales
greybeard
aucklandlaurie
Standulstermen
Irish Curry
B91212
red_stag
Thomond
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
kiakahaaotearoa
thebandwagonsociety
marty2086
mrsuperclear
rodders
pete (buachaill on eirne)
80 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

What would you think of Ireland hosting the RWC 2023?

Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 2 Vote_lcap38%Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 50 ]
Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 18 ]
Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 2 Vote_lcap18%Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 23 ]
Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 2 Vote_lcap24%Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 31 ]
Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 130

Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 2 Empty Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023?

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:32 am

First topic message reminder :

Ireland to host Rugby World Cup?

I was listening to a piece on Newstalk on Friday evening about this and it seemed quite serious truth be told. Economist David McWilliams was on, former Irish coach Eddie O Sullivan, IRFU spokespeople and transport and sport Minister Leo Varadkar was on too lending his support.

All spoke about it being a distinct possibility that Ireland would submit an application to host the 2023 RWC.

Many points for and against this obviously.

The main issue seemed to be stadiums of the right quality. NZ spent 300m or something like that on developing their stadiums to make sure they were to a certain standard for the RWC. The people on air recognised early on that without the support of the GAA Ireland's bid would die as they own a lot of stadiums, but more importantly the only stadium in Ireland over 60,000 (a necessity to host a RWC final).

Assuming the GAA would support the bid (which is by no means a sure thing) Ireland's stadiums would include:

Croke Park
Lansdowne Road
Thomond Park
Ravenhill -needs to be developed
The RDS -needs to be developed
The Sportsground- needs to be developed
A GAA stadium in Castlebar can't remember the name
Another GAA stadium in the midlands can't remember the name

There are others like Musgrave Park and Donnybrook etc too.

On the stadiums front, they may be a bit small to host 1/4 and 1/2 finals. Obviously the final would be in Croke but in the 1/4's we'd need 4 big stadiums and we may be a bit short there IMO. I'm not sure what stadiums the kiwi's used for the 1/4's tbh.

Other things that were discussed on the show were, the Irish volunteering spirit. The Kiwi's really bought into the RWC as it's such a huge part of their culture and they really made it a good place for supporters to go. I (like the panel on the show Friday evening) believe we Irish could put on a serious show for the travelling supporters. Our hospitality is renowned and we take rugby seriously. I'd like to think we are a welcoming people and respectful (for the most part). I think the atmosphere at some of the games would be amazing and we could really try an infuse some of our Celtic culture into pre match routines the way the Kiwi's did with the Maori culture. We did a good job with the Special Olympics. OK

Our infrastructure is quite good now.
There are motorways to the main cities and trains and buses are relatively regular. One thing is for sure, no one would need to fly!

The IRFU said they'd be willing to do it and I think mentioned meeting the government at some point and said it may be an idea to look at doing it with Scotland or Wales as well as an option. The Government said they'd be interested in looking at the opportunity

David McWilliams said that even though RWC 2011 was supposed to be a financial disaster for NZ, they actually have made money off it. Only just but they did and obviously it will do great things for their tourist industry.

Some things that may be an issue:
The GAA not wanting to be involved.
The IRFU making a hames of ticket prices again
The lack 30,000+ stadiums for 1/4+1/2 finals
The IRB may want to send it to a developing nation.

What do people think?
Would you like the 2023 RWC to be in Ireland?
Will Stadiums be a huge problem?
Any other set backs you can think of?

Back to top Go down

Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023?

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 14 Dec 2011, 2:53 pm

Ok Vaden, it will be too much of a European thing.

That´s Europe in 2015 and 2023. Let´s put it this way. Would you be happy if Australia got the 2019 bid?

It´s like Madrid in the summer olympics. They lost out to London (a good thing as Spain´s economy is shot and Madrid´s mayor has spent money like there´s no tomorrow), then bid for 2016 when there was going to be a summer Olympics in London in 2012 and a Winter Olympics in Moscow in 2014. It was never going to happen. They want to bid again for 2020 but should wait for 2024. By then hopefully their unemployment will be below 10 per cent.

Sure the rugby fraternity is not so big. But there´s still a lot of places you can choose. How about the teams like Samoa or Fiji who have to go to Europe every other World Cup and who find it difficult enough to get the money together. It ain´t cheap here.

I´ve got no problem with an Ireland bid. Just the timing of it is all. As I said on another post, I didn´t have a problem with Japan breaking the NH SH bullsh1t non-entity as you say because it was a chance to grow the game and a bold new move and frankly the IRB are short on those. The fact Ireland has never hosted goes in their favour. Europe is undoubtedly a powerhouse of world rugby and has more representation but I think there should be some geographical considerations as well.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023?

Post by Irish Curry Wed 14 Dec 2011, 3:01 pm

I think a few games each for Murrayfield, The Millenium and many one more would be all we would have to do. Actually scrape that just Scotland Sorry . Although Japan is in the NH it plays the likes of Samoa, Fiji and Tonga who are all SH. Japan is as far from Europe as anywhere else.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 14 Dec 2011, 3:03 pm

roddersm wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:I'd much rather share the RWC with Scotland than Wales

+ 1 Braveheart .... Run

Leprechaun heart Braveheart Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 14 Dec 2011, 3:04 pm

"Japan is as far from Europe as anywhere else.."

Geography lesson for today Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 14 Dec 2011, 3:10 pm

Well as far as anywhere else in the rugby world is pretty close to the money. It´s going to be another lifetime trip for all the fans travelling there (other than the Japanese fans of course).

Thankfully Qatar is not a rugby nation.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 14 Dec 2011, 3:48 pm

So how do people think the GAA would take it if we kindly asked them to move the championship for the third biggest sporting event on the globe?

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 14 Dec 2011, 4:12 pm

I think they would rugby to **** off to be honest.

I think disrupting the GAA season climax is a complete non starter and a major reason why we would not be able to host it alone.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 14 Dec 2011, 4:28 pm

I am not sure that Ireland would convince the voters that they have the grounds needed.

Personally I would like to see Argentina hosting in 2023, and an Ireland/Scotland joint bid for 2027.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 14 Dec 2011, 4:33 pm

LondonTiger wrote:I am not sure that Ireland would convince the voters that they have the grounds needed.

Personally I would like to see Argentina hosting in 2023, and an Ireland/Scotland joint bid for 2027.

I'd be well excited for that!

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 14 Dec 2011, 4:52 pm

My immediate answer would be no, I can't see Ireland being able to do it. I don't think the funds would be available for all the infrastructure that would require redevelopment, at least not without significant losses. And some of those stadiums would require one hell of a capacity injection (Ravenhill, Galway etc).

There's no guarantee the GAA would be on board, hosting four years' worth of home games is one thing, contributing to a major world tournament could be seen quite differently imo.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the minimum number of stadiums needed to host 12? At least that was the number used in NZ. If this was the case the best Ireland could hope for is the GAA to get on board and at least some minor assistance from Scotland or Wales. Speaking for Wales, I don't see how we'd be able to offer more than three (MS, Liberty and CCS, the latter two not being guaranteed as they're primarily football grounds). I suppose PYS could theoretically be expanded by 2023 but then again Scarlets are not financially strong at present.

Point of the matter: Ireland would need a lot of backing to successfully host...

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 14 Dec 2011, 5:06 pm

Think a joint bid is the most plausible, I dont think infrastructure would be much of an issue and to be honest a lot of the people here saying Ireland doesnt have the infrastructure and transport have never actually been here and are basing that on very little.

The main issue would be stadiums but throw in Millenium Stadium or Murrayfield plus one or two others and it would be fine. The only other issue would be the GAA and I dont think they'd be against it baring in mind they were ok with Croke being used in rugby in the past. Really though I think a joint bid is far more viable.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 14 Dec 2011, 5:12 pm

If we went with Scotland what stadiums would we use>

Murrayfield, Firhill any more?

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 14 Dec 2011, 5:13 pm

The Irish didn't need infrastructure in New Zealand...only a horde of 'past their sell by date' vans and a sat nav.

That reminds me, maybe I'll put that rusty engine back in the 1983 hiace and have it ready with some psychedelic BUY ME colours.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 15 Dec 2011, 8:55 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:If we went with Scotland what stadiums would we use>

That big soccer ball place in Glasgow would be useful.
Bottom line is 2 big stadia in excess of 50,000 probably makes the difference between a feasible and a non-feasible bid.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 15 Dec 2011, 9:52 am

geoff998rugby wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:If we went with Scotland what stadiums would we use>

That big soccer ball place in Glasgow would be useful.
Bottom line is 2 big stadia in excess of 50,000 probably makes the difference between a feasible and a non-feasible bid.

You mean on top of Croker and Lansdowne yes?

There is another big soccer stadium in Glasgow I think....Rangers FC????

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 15 Dec 2011, 9:53 am

As mentioned before though I don't see us getting Croke given the time of year.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:04 am

geoff998rugby wrote:As mentioned before though I don't see us getting Croke given the time of year.

A very good point and the games between the tier 1 nations were always on the weekend during the world cup in New Zealand too. I really don't think the GAA would be alright moving Dublin v Kerry to Thurles or wherever. I also doubt they'd move the GAA season back a month to accommodate rugby. Unless of course there is something in it for them - investing in their stadiums would certainly be one thing to help twist their arm...

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:46 am

Yeah I'm not so sure it would be completely unnegotiable.

There's a chance IMO especially if it's in 2027 because money doesn't have to start being spent/promised for quite some time then.

It would open the RWC public's eyes to GAA as well in a way. Halftime junior GAA matches? Temporary nets etc?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:35 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Although Tokyo is only 4 hours behind NZ time, Auckland Tokyo is a 15 hour flight. I´m not so sure any travel suits Australia or NZ other than travelling to one another.

I´d much rather it go to Ireland (and Scotland if need be) than to the USA.

Are you sure it's 15 hours from Auckland? I did Sydney-Osaka in about 9... 1 hour to Gold Coast then non-stop 8 hour flight to Japan.

I voted for the first option but have read through the posts and tend to agree that 2027 may be the go for Ireland. I'd prefer it if they went it alone but realise with the economy the way it is this may not be the wisest thing to do. However... I do believe the economic spin-offs for the folks running businesses coupled with some clever marketing to tourists (sporting or non-sporting) to come to Ireland would be well worth the risk in the long run.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:47 pm

Mate, I just checked and it says 11 hours 10 minutes. Maybe it´s 4 hour time difference so I went for 15 or my pilot lost his keys down the toilet and did a few flyovers and the flight I was on went longer!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:48 pm

Linebreaker wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Although Tokyo is only 4 hours behind NZ time, Auckland Tokyo is a 15 hour flight. I´m not so sure any travel suits Australia or NZ other than travelling to one another.

I´d much rather it go to Ireland (and Scotland if need be) than to the USA.

Are you sure it's 15 hours from Auckland? I did Sydney-Osaka in about 9... 1 hour to Gold Coast then non-stop 8 hour flight to Japan.

I voted for the first option but have read through the posts and tend to agree that 2027 may be the go for Ireland. I'd prefer it if they went it alone but realise with the economy the way it is this may not be the wisest thing to do. However... I do believe the economic spin-offs for the folks running businesses coupled with some clever marketing to tourists (sporting or non-sporting) to come to Ireland would be well worth the risk in the long run.

I agree with this.

By then having one more big stadium built somewhere else other than dublin is a realistic target. Hopefully get the GAA on side and then BOOM we got ourselves an awesome tournament and a money making machine! Agree with the 2027 thing and do see the logic behind it.

Are there any big soccer/GAA stadiums up north?

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:51 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
Are there any big soccer/GAA stadiums up north?

Windsor park and Casement park?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:53 pm

I'd say it would be possible to work around the GAA fixtures with different starting times and avoiding Croke park until the matchs there are finished and the other gaa grounds which wont be in use that much around then, club championships can be moved around to other grounds.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 15 Dec 2011, 12:56 pm

Irish Curry wrote:I'd say it would be possible to work around the GAA fixtures with different starting times and avoiding Croke park until the matchs there are finished and the other gaa grounds which wont be in use that much around then, club championships can be moved around to other grounds.

That's what I like to hear!

However, we'd still probably need to put some of the biggest matches on there, opening match, opening ceremony, final etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:02 pm

All Ireland final as the opening ceremony? laughing

I suppose we could just bribe them to. Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 2 3845856932
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:52 pm

Was just talking to a GAA mate of mine:

1) GAA will be over by 15th September-start the RWC a week later????

2) He says there are some massive stadiums around the country in Limerick, Kerry, Cork, Athlone and Castlebar all in excess of 50,000

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Right Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:26 pm

In the current climate a deal with the GAA would not be impossible. At a central level the GAA is in good shape - the coffers in Croke Park are reasonably well stocked. Move around the country though and things are very different. Most county boards are now in serious financial trouble - for a lot of counties and provincial boards this is due to upgrades of stadiums that will do well to get 5 games a year with an attendance of 10k+ attendance. Very few boards would reject the chance of a few quid to get some badly needed balancing back in their books.

The only real objections to an approach would be from the northern counties and probably Cork (if Frank Murphy was still ruling the roost)

As far as the use of Croke Park goes, there would be no problem here. Croke park would not be available for the first 2 pool matches, not really a big deal. Given the event would be run by the IRFU I imagine that they would have to hold either the opening or closing ceremony at the Aviva - the opening ceremony would fit as they would need the largest capacity available for the final, so Croke Park gets shown to the world for the pinnacle of rugby's biggest event.

Most of the GAA stadiums would need upgrading at some level - and there would be an arguement about who would be footing the bill.

Were the GAA involved the Ireland could concievably host the event on their own. The infrastructure is there regarding motorways/public transport capacity. (This could all be gone to ruin in 10 years though)
Based on the the below capacity would not really be an issue. Upgrading would be required for most stadiums - TBH some may have fallen down by 2023/27!!! But the below is a sample of the stadiums we could use - I know some of the GAA stadiums have had their capacities revised downward but at least it gives an idea.

Stadium Location Capacity Upgrading
Croke Park Dublin 82500 No upgrade required
Aviva Stadium Dublin 51700 No upgrade required
Semple Stadium Thurles 55000 Refurbishment required
McHale Park Castlebar 49500 Refurbishment required
Páirc Uí Chaoimh Cork 43500 Refurbishment planned by Cork GAA
Thomond Park Limerick 26500 No upgrade required
Ravenhill Stadium Belfast 12300 Upgrade capacity
RDS Arena Dublin 18,500 Minor upgrades

Ireland hosting an RWC on its own is not impossible, actually it would be quite achievable if the right people were in place to get it moving...and that is why i fear the whole thing may never happen.

Red Right

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:36 pm

Red Right wrote:In the current climate a deal with the GAA would not be impossible. At a central level the GAA is in good shape - the coffers in Croke Park are reasonably well stocked. Move around the country though and things are very different. Most county boards are now in serious financial trouble - for a lot of counties and provincial boards this is due to upgrades of stadiums that will do well to get 5 games a year with an attendance of 10k+ attendance. Very few boards would reject the chance of a few quid to get some badly needed balancing back in their books.

The only real objections to an approach would be from the northern counties and probably Cork (if Frank Murphy was still ruling the roost)

As far as the use of Croke Park goes, there would be no problem here. Croke park would not be available for the first 2 pool matches, not really a big deal. Given the event would be run by the IRFU I imagine that they would have to hold either the opening or closing ceremony at the Aviva - the opening ceremony would fit as they would need the largest capacity available for the final, so Croke Park gets shown to the world for the pinnacle of rugby's biggest event.

Most of the GAA stadiums would need upgrading at some level - and there would be an arguement about who would be footing the bill.

Were the GAA involved the Ireland could concievably host the event on their own. The infrastructure is there regarding motorways/public transport capacity. (This could all be gone to ruin in 10 years though)
Based on the the below capacity would not really be an issue. Upgrading would be required for most stadiums - TBH some may have fallen down by 2023/27!!! But the below is a sample of the stadiums we could use - I know some of the GAA stadiums have had their capacities revised downward but at least it gives an idea.

Ireland hosting an RWC on its own is not impossible, actually it would be quite achievable if the right people were in place to get it moving...and that is why i fear the whole thing may never happen.

Very interesting post red.
Thanks for all that info.
Could the RWC just be put back a week or 10 days to allow for the GAA season to end on the 15th Sept Approx?

By the sounds of it the IRFU and the Government are well up for it and I'd find it hard to believe that the GAA couldn't be swayed with money. It would show case GAA I think to a huge extent as people would learn that these stadiums are not rugby ones and would be curious about GAA. The GAA could benefit hugely from this in terms of exhibitions, friendly games, GAA is very spectator friendly and also sponsorship, as there would be so many more people at the games the sponsorship price would go up.

The World cup would do wonders for our economy in the sense of

accomodation
pub industry
transport
sponsorship opportunities
tourism

Would be good for the North/South to host a tournament together too. OK
Great to see those stadiums spread out so much

I think we could really play up the whole Celtic thing, Cu Culann, The Fiann etc. We have the infrastructure in our motorways, rail network and airports in Cork, Dublin, Belfast, Galway.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:41 pm

OK Pete I'm convinced, get it organised sir!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Right Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:54 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
Red Right wrote:In the current climate a deal with the GAA would not be impossible. At a central level the GAA is in good shape - the coffers in Croke Park are reasonably well stocked. Move around the country though and things are very different. Most county boards are now in serious financial trouble - for a lot of counties and provincial boards this is due to upgrades of stadiums that will do well to get 5 games a year with an attendance of 10k+ attendance. Very few boards would reject the chance of a few quid to get some badly needed balancing back in their books.

Very interesting post red.
Thanks for all that info.
Could the RWC just be put back a week or 10 days to allow for the GAA season to end on the 15th Sept Approx?

By the sounds of it the IRFU and the Government are well up for it and I'd find it hard to believe that the GAA couldn't be swayed with money. It would show case GAA I think to a huge extent as people would learn that these stadiums are not rugby ones and would be curious about GAA. The GAA could benefit hugely from this in terms of exhibitions, friendly games, GAA is very spectator friendly and also sponsorship, as there would be so many more people at the games the sponsorship price would go up.

The World cup would do wonders for our economy in the sense of

accomodation
pub industry
transport
sponsorship opportunities
tourism

Would be good for the North/South to host a tournament together too. OK
Great to see those stadiums spread out so much

I think we could really play up the whole Celtic thing, Cu Culann, The Fiann etc. We have the infrastructure in our motorways, rail network and airports in Cork, Dublin, Belfast, Galway.

The thing is there would be no need to move the dates around. Croke Park would be the only stadium where there would be fixture issues. Most counties have alternative grounds with the sufficient capacity to hold any major club games so the selected GAA stadiums could be freed up.
By simply loading Croke Park's games toward the latter pool stages and knockouts the AI finals would not be an issue, neither would there be an issue of moving RWC dates, assuming RWC dates are the same as this year.

Red Right

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:58 pm

As a neutral potential wannabe tourist visiting Ireland while watching some rugby, it would be nice to showcase some proper GAA during the RWC as :
1) I think average rugby fans like me would take the opportunity to be introduced to hurling in between 2 rugby games, wouldnt do any bad as could help to increase exposure of GAA and worst case sell some tickets
2) would bring games in Tourist-friendly part of ireland and help to maximise the number of foreign visitors lured by the idea of seeing rugby while staying in say Kerry

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 16 Dec 2011, 12:10 am

Would the GAA be happy that the Rugby world cup is competing with them for an audience though even if its just the pool games?

Love the idea of having a junior hurling/football match at half time of some of the games.

Hypothetically if we were to get it and all the stadiums mentioned above were upgraded to an acceptable standard then after the world cup were left with these stadiums that arent going to be filled. Ireland isnt big enough to justify having these stadiums. Even now a lot of the stadiums would be excess to requirements if stadiums were shared (i realise that the GAA is a private organisation so it doesnt have to share them). If the stadiums were upgraded would the extra room be used? Would ulster be able to pull 25k+ to games? (im not sure what size the stadiums would have to be upgraded to 25-30k was mentioned above).

Would like to see done with Scotland with Croke Park for the final so we have game when we win it! Very Happy

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:26 am

whocares wrote:As a neutral potential wannabe tourist visiting Ireland while watching some rugby, it would be nice to showcase some proper GAA during the RWC as :
1) I think average rugby fans like me would take the opportunity to be introduced to hurling in between 2 rugby games, wouldnt do any bad as could help to increase exposure of GAA and worst case sell some tickets
2) would bring games in Tourist-friendly part of ireland and help to maximise the number of foreign visitors lured by the idea of seeing rugby while staying in say Kerry

I agree with you, the GAA get something out of it, the tourist and average rugby fan gets something out of it and the IRFU get some good stadia for a month or so.

"Winning!"

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:02 am

Just out of curiosity. How many of the Irish stadia have closed rooves?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:45 am

None

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:56 am

That was my impression. Not saying it´s a negative thing. The Milennium stadium can close but its turf is often not good enough.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 16 Dec 2011, 12:05 pm

Millenium stadium is a bit nasty with the roof on because the playing service gets really slippy apparently.

Yeah none in Ireland have roofs

Back to top Go down

Post by leinsterman123 Sun 19 Feb 2012, 10:16 pm

Ireland do have the stadiums necessary.We have;
Croke Park: 82,300
Aviva: 51,000
McHale park (Castlebar):49,000
Semple Stadium (Thurles): 54,000
Gaelic Grounds (limerick):49,500
Páirc uí choimh (cork):49,000
thomond park(limerick);26,000
Fitzgerald stadium(Killarney)49,000
Clones :36,000
Rds(Dublin) 18,500
Ravenhill ( Belfast) 20,000(under development thank you british government)
and many more so it is feasible to host the world cup ,we should also give a few matches to scotland though.

leinsterman123

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 19 Feb 2012, 10:33 pm

Ellispark 60 000
Calabash JHB 94500
Loftus 50 000
Newlands 50 000
Green point Capetown 70 000
Durban 52 500
moses Madiba Durban 54 000
Nelson Mandela Bay stadium 46 000
Bloemfontein 45 000
Polokwane 45 000
royal bafokeng 43 000
Neslpruit 46 000
Orlando stadium 40 000
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:36 am

This is impressive in the US. That could host an RWC easily. And this is just the list of 80,000 plus......

Michigan Stadium 109,901 Ann Arbor Michigan University of Michigan
Beaver Stadium....107,282 University Park Pennsylvania Penn State University
Neyland Stadium..102,455 Knoxville Tennessee University of Tennessee
Ohio Stadium...... 102,329 Columbus Ohio Ohio State University
Bryant-Denny Stadium 101,821 Tuscaloosa Alabama University of Alabama
Texas Memorial Stadium 101,624 Austin Texas University of Texas
Rose Bowl ...........94,118 Pasadena California UCLA Bruins,
Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum 93,607 Los Angeles California Univ. of So. California
Sanford Stadium ..92,746 Athens Georgia University of Georgia
Tiger Stadium ......92,542 Baton Rouge Louisiana Louisiana State University
Cotton Bowl ........92,200 Dallas Texas
Ben Hill Griffin Stadium 88,548 Gainesville Florida University of Florida
Jordan-Hare Stadium 87,451 Auburn Alabama Auburn University
Memorial Stadium 86,304 Lincoln Nebraska University of Nebraska
Kyle Field ............82,600 College Station Texas Texas A&M University
MetLife Stadium ...82,566 East Rutherford New Jersey NFL New York Giants and Jets
Doak Campbell Stadium 82,300 Tallahassee Florida Florida State University
Oklahoma Memorial Stadium 82,112 Norman Oklahoma Oklahoma University
FedExField ...........82,000 Landover Maryland NFL Washington Redskins [13]
Notre Dame Stadium 80,795 Notre Dame Indiana University of Notre Dame
Camp Randall Stadium 80,321 Madison Wisconsin University of Wisconsin
Pontiac Silverdome 80,311 Pontiac Michigan NFLDetroit Lions
Memorial Stadium ..80,301 Clemson South Carolina Clemson University
Williams-Brice Stadium 80,250 Columbia South Carolina Univ. of South Carolina
Cowboys Stadium ...80,000 Arlington Texas NFL Dallas Cowboys

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:39 am

You need more that stadiums to host a RWC.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:45 am

Agree:
Acomodation
Infrastructure
Knowledge how to host a big event
Ability to fatten IRB coffers
And a sport with clubs just dying for some big time exposure.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:50 am

leinsterman123 wrote:Ireland do have the stadiums necessary.We have;
Croke Park: 82,300
Aviva: 51,000
McHale park (Castlebar):49,000
Semple Stadium (Thurles): 54,000
Gaelic Grounds (limerick):49,500
Páirc uí choimh (cork):49,000
thomond park(limerick);26,000
Fitzgerald stadium(Killarney)49,000
Clones :36,000
Rds(Dublin) 18,500
Ravenhill ( Belfast) 20,000(under development thank you british government)
and many more so it is feasible to host the world cup ,we should also give a few matches to scotland though.

You left out Casement its being increased to 40,000 seater so going to be biggest GAA stadium in Ulster so another option

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:52 am

We're actually in talks with the IMF to get funding for a roof over the complete island of Ireland, which we feel is long overdue...but that's unrelated to rugby.

The America could hold the Rugby World Cup Tomorrow argument....

That did surprise me! That a vast country, world SuperPower and virtual Entertainment capital of the world would have so many stadiums bigger than Thomond! Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by idris Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:53 am

It should be Argentina.

Massive sporting nation with huge rugby potential. SA and Arg being the only continent/country to produce a RWC semi finalist and to not have hosted a RWC.

idris

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:59 am

SecretFly wrote:The America could hold the Rugby World Cup Tomorrow argument....

That did surprise me! That a vast country, world SuperPower and virtual Entertainment capital of the world would have so many stadiums bigger than Thomond! Wink
But there is something about that Thomond. Being on the pitch in opposing colours, it must feel like 100,000 in the stands.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:07 am

You need 4 grounds over 45,000 to host a World Cup - Ireland have 1 rugby ground that fits that criteria.

We wouild be wholly dependant on the GAA providing most of the grounds.
I just don't think it is feasible.

A joint Celtic bid with Murrayfield, Millenium, Croke and Landsdowne being the main ground makes sense.

Thormond, Ravenhill, Musgrave and RDS could be the minor grounds

QF for each of the major grounds, 1SF and the 3rd place play off for Millenium and Murrayfield.
1 SF for Landsdowne, Final for Croke

Now that could work.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:13 am

geoff998rugby wrote:You need 4 grounds over 45,000 to host a World Cup - Ireland have 1 rugby ground that fits that criteria.

We wouild be wholly dependant on the GAA providing most of the grounds.
I just don't think it is feasible.

A joint Celtic bid with Murrayfield, Millenium, Croke and Landsdowne being the main ground makes sense.

Thormond, Ravenhill, Musgrave and RDS could be the minor grounds

QF for each of the major grounds, 1SF and the 3rd place play off for Millenium and Murrayfield.
1 SF for Landsdowne, Final for Croke

Now that could work.

The only problem is you need the money in place before you bid and the Irish goverment arent exactly rolling in it Doh

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:23 am

GAA say no to money and no to the publicity that yet again an amateur sport provides infrastructure to a professional colleague in trouble?

GAA people love that, and they loved the idea of rugby played in Croke Park. 'How does the world like that? How does the world like how an amateur code in a small country can build and furnish an +80,000 seater stadium?

Oh I think GAA would love the idea of money and publicity.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:49 am

I dont see why the GAA would turn its nose up at a revenue generator the issue would be the dates as the Provincial and All Ireland championships take place from May through to the start of September

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next