The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023?

+76
fa0019
beshocked
blackcanelion
alive555
broadlandboy
monwy
wolfball
TightHEAD
Mad for Chelsea
Bathman_in_London
Cyril
HammerofThunor
bedfordwelsh
asoreleftshoulder
anotherworldofpain
LordDowlais
sugarNspikes
dallym
Rava
funnyExiledScot
Jenifer McLadyboy
Mickado
Argie fan
Exiledinborders
Notch
Duigers
Morgannwg
GunsGerms
Sin é
Josiah Maiestas
brennomac
Feckless Rogue
Intotouch
ScarletSpiderman
yappysnap
Cumbrian
LeinsterFan4life
sportform
nganboy
mystiroakey
emack2
Tommy David lookalike
Pot Hale
Glas a du
miteyironpaw
The Great Aukster
idris
doctor_grey
Biltong
leinsterman123
Golden
whocares
Red Right
Pal Joey
Artful_Dodger
Knowsit17
LondonTiger
Vaden
geoff998rugby
PropositionJoe
SecretFly
gowales
greybeard
aucklandlaurie
Standulstermen
Irish Curry
B91212
red_stag
Thomond
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
kiakahaaotearoa
thebandwagonsociety
marty2086
mrsuperclear
rodders
pete (buachaill on eirne)
80 posters

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down

What would you think of Ireland hosting the RWC 2023?

Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 11 Vote_lcap38%Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 11 Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 50 ]
Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 11 Vote_lcap14%Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 11 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 18 ]
Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 11 Vote_lcap18%Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 11 Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 23 ]
Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 11 Vote_lcap24%Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 11 Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 31 ]
Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 11 Vote_lcap6%Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 11 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 130

Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 11 Empty Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023?

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:32 am

First topic message reminder :

Ireland to host Rugby World Cup?

I was listening to a piece on Newstalk on Friday evening about this and it seemed quite serious truth be told. Economist David McWilliams was on, former Irish coach Eddie O Sullivan, IRFU spokespeople and transport and sport Minister Leo Varadkar was on too lending his support.

All spoke about it being a distinct possibility that Ireland would submit an application to host the 2023 RWC.

Many points for and against this obviously.

The main issue seemed to be stadiums of the right quality. NZ spent 300m or something like that on developing their stadiums to make sure they were to a certain standard for the RWC. The people on air recognised early on that without the support of the GAA Ireland's bid would die as they own a lot of stadiums, but more importantly the only stadium in Ireland over 60,000 (a necessity to host a RWC final).

Assuming the GAA would support the bid (which is by no means a sure thing) Ireland's stadiums would include:

Croke Park
Lansdowne Road
Thomond Park
Ravenhill -needs to be developed
The RDS -needs to be developed
The Sportsground- needs to be developed
A GAA stadium in Castlebar can't remember the name
Another GAA stadium in the midlands can't remember the name

There are others like Musgrave Park and Donnybrook etc too.

On the stadiums front, they may be a bit small to host 1/4 and 1/2 finals. Obviously the final would be in Croke but in the 1/4's we'd need 4 big stadiums and we may be a bit short there IMO. I'm not sure what stadiums the kiwi's used for the 1/4's tbh.

Other things that were discussed on the show were, the Irish volunteering spirit. The Kiwi's really bought into the RWC as it's such a huge part of their culture and they really made it a good place for supporters to go. I (like the panel on the show Friday evening) believe we Irish could put on a serious show for the travelling supporters. Our hospitality is renowned and we take rugby seriously. I'd like to think we are a welcoming people and respectful (for the most part). I think the atmosphere at some of the games would be amazing and we could really try an infuse some of our Celtic culture into pre match routines the way the Kiwi's did with the Maori culture. We did a good job with the Special Olympics. OK

Our infrastructure is quite good now.
There are motorways to the main cities and trains and buses are relatively regular. One thing is for sure, no one would need to fly!

The IRFU said they'd be willing to do it and I think mentioned meeting the government at some point and said it may be an idea to look at doing it with Scotland or Wales as well as an option. The Government said they'd be interested in looking at the opportunity

David McWilliams said that even though RWC 2011 was supposed to be a financial disaster for NZ, they actually have made money off it. Only just but they did and obviously it will do great things for their tourist industry.

Some things that may be an issue:
The GAA not wanting to be involved.
The IRFU making a hames of ticket prices again
The lack 30,000+ stadiums for 1/4+1/2 finals
The IRB may want to send it to a developing nation.

What do people think?
Would you like the 2023 RWC to be in Ireland?
Will Stadiums be a huge problem?
Any other set backs you can think of?

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 11 Empty Re: Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023?

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 09 Mar 2015, 10:54 am

Generally countries clean up their acts for a tournament anyway. There were concerns about the football world cup in South Africa, nothing happened. There's concerns about Russia and Qatar for some of their more neanderthal laws; nothing will happen.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023? - Page 11 Empty Re: Ireland to host Rugby World Cup in 2023?

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 09 Mar 2015, 10:54 am

Though to my mind Qatar and Russia shouldn't be hosting.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 09 Mar 2015, 10:56 am

Well sunstroke is banned in Qatar during the WC because it would bring shame on the hosts.  So people will still get sun-stroke but they'll resist saying so for fear of going to prison Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 10 Mar 2015, 12:45 am

SecretFly wrote:Highest 'reported' crime rate.

Surely someplace like Mexico or even India would have tons of crime that went unreported because it would be simply so endemic.

So I don't think that even the US of A would, in a real world figure of all crime (reported and unreported), be No1.  It achieves No1 because it is such a litigious nation - you only have to look at Judge Judy!!

"I'm looking for damages because he didn't pay half the rent that was due because he took my car without telling me, because he ran over my neighbour's dog, because he was too drunk to even know that the car wasn't mine but my neighbour's one, which is just like mine except for the sticker on the back of mine that reads: Screw you MO**ERF**Ker!!! ; which I didn't put there but my ex-boyfriend did that I stole the car from."

Crime gets reported in America.

Do you live in America?

i do,

the litigious US idea is somewhat of a fallacy

just take just gun crime

http://www.humanosphere.org/science/2014/03/visualizing-gun-deaths-comparing-the-u-s-to-rest-of-the-world/

Already 7200 gun crimes in USA in 2015 with 2200 deaths, that is 32/day by some estimates

And that's just guns Shocked

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 10 Mar 2015, 2:09 am

aqualung71 wrote:
Sin é wrote:Interesting - both South Africa and Italy make the Top 10 Countries with highest Crime Rate in 2014. South Africa 5th and Italy 6th. (US is No 1).

Cape Town makes the Top 10 for most Dangerous Cities in the world (at No. 8). This is what they say:  ''One of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, Cape Town is also a city that is battling extremely high crime rates. Prone to mugging, it is one of the most unsafe cities at night, especially for women. The high level of crime is attributed to the disparity between socioeconomic classes.''

sincerely, these statistics make me laugh. In Italy almost nowhere you feel you are in a real danger.

This is what they say about Italy:

6. Italy:

Crime

The reported crime rates in Italy have been doubled as compared to 2013 stats. This is a beautiful and developed nation, but unfortunately the government has to some extent failed to provide the people with peaceful environment. The working women in Southern Italy are especially under serious threat of r*** and murder crimes.

http://top10for.com/top-10-countries-highest-crime-rate-2014/

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 Mar 2015, 11:29 am

Gwlad wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Highest 'reported' crime rate.

Surely someplace like Mexico or even India would have tons of crime that went unreported because it would be simply so endemic.

So I don't think that even the US of A would, in a real world figure of all crime (reported and unreported), be No1.  It achieves No1 because it is such a litigious nation - you only have to look at Judge Judy!!

"I'm looking for damages because he didn't pay half the rent that was due because he took my car without telling me, because he ran over my neighbour's dog, because he was too drunk to even know that the car wasn't mine but my neighbour's one, which is just like mine except for the sticker on the back of mine that reads: Screw you MO**ERF**Ker!!! ; which I didn't put there but my ex-boyfriend did that I stole the car from."

Crime gets reported in America.

Do you live in America?

i do,

the litigious US idea is somewhat of a fallacy

just take just gun crime

http://www.humanosphere.org/science/2014/03/visualizing-gun-deaths-comparing-the-u-s-to-rest-of-the-world/

Already 7200 gun crimes in USA in 2015 with 2200 deaths, that is 32/day by some estimates

And that's just guns  Shocked

Easy!!!  How come some of you peoples insist on answering a simple comment or a statement with a bark?

We're humans... talk.  Wink

Now, about America.  I'd say I have a fair wallop of the whip about what goes down there without being overt about my private life, connections and so forth.

The topic was crime - top crime figures - with America being considered Number 1 on a post above somewhere, and me saying some of America's numbers come from the fact that it 'paperises' and reports crime more than some others on the list.

But we'll do your gun one, since it seems it's the only real crime worth mentioning these days.

Statistics suggest that for every 100,000 people in America there are roughly 2.8 homicides.  Now some of those might be knives or hands - but we'll agree a dead man is a dead man and a gun don't make him more dead than the other methods.  Anyway, it's quite a number in comparison to European countries.  So far so good.
Same statistics suggest that in South Africa its around 17 homicides per 100,000.
Swasiland - it's in the 30s per 100,000
Jamaica - 39 per 100,000!
Honduras - 64 per 100,000
Mexico - becoming more 'sane' again - only 10 per 100,000 Wink

Now again some of those nations aren't nearly so formal in their approach to policing and detailing and book signing and cross referencing and CCTV erecting as the USA.  In some of them, the local police guy might eat a report rather than file it (too much like work?)  So you could pile on a stack to their numbers and it might not be far off the actual truth.

I'll stick to my idea that the USA crime rate is hoisted higher than it might be simply due to the fact that they are more procedurally officious than some of the nations coming in lower than them.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 10 Mar 2015, 12:07 pm

How has Italy entering the competition affected things?

A loss is expected in Japan, which was part of the reason for England hosting next (generate funds in advance to cover the shortfall that may occur in Japan). If that was indeed the case, would Italy be able to generate enough.

I reckon it should as it isn't a substantial commute for the european teams and who doesn't like a trip to Italy?

I think Ireland is now the underdog.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 10 Mar 2015, 12:27 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:How has Italy entering the competition affected things?

A loss is expected in Japan, which was part of the reason for England hosting next (generate funds in advance to cover the shortfall that may occur in Japan).  If that was indeed the case, would Italy be able to generate enough.

I reckon it should as it isn't a substantial commute for the european teams and who doesn't like a trip to Italy?

I think Ireland is now the underdog.

Why is Ireland the underdog (if you are depending on people to travel there). In that instance, its got an equal chance - Italy is very close to France and Ireland is very close to England, also with a large population.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 10 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm

I don't really like Italy as much as other countries to visit. I think it is a little over rated to be honest.

When you say a loss is expected in Japan what do you mean? The IRB are guarenteed their fee are they not and then they will make a packet on sponsorship and revenue on top of that. The only loss incurred will be by the hosts Japan not the IRB (world rugby).

I still think Ireland is the favorite. All countries in Europe are close enough to each other to be able to attract similar attendances IMO. Ireland is one of the the best connected countries in the world re flights.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 10 Mar 2015, 12:32 pm

Italy for me. Brilliant country! They would do a great job and add a bit of nice weather.

Ireland to join in with Wales and Scotland for a Celtic bid some way in the future. 2023 is too close to England's bid for any real variety in the NH.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 Mar 2015, 12:40 pm

Cyril wrote:Italy for me. Brilliant country! They would do a great job and add a bit of nice weather.

Ireland to join in with Wales and Scotland for a Celtic bid some way in the future. 2023 is too close to England's bid for any real variety in the NH.

Cyril is England part Britain at all anymore? Wink

You all seem to want to hold on to the rebels in Scotland but when the panic of separation is over, it's back to treating the rest of the bunch that ain't 'English' as separate?

I'll tell you what - forget the 'Celtic' stuff and simply look for a Scotland, Wales and England hosting sometime in 2023.  After all, yous all love each other enough to be in the one bed for so long.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by aqualung71 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 12:45 pm

Sin é wrote:
aqualung71 wrote:
Sin é wrote:Interesting - both South Africa and Italy make the Top 10 Countries with highest Crime Rate in 2014. South Africa 5th and Italy 6th. (US is No 1).

Cape Town makes the Top 10 for most Dangerous Cities in the world (at No. 8). This is what they say:  ''One of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, Cape Town is also a city that is battling extremely high crime rates. Prone to mugging, it is one of the most unsafe cities at night, especially for women. The high level of crime is attributed to the disparity between socioeconomic classes.''

sincerely, these statistics make me laugh. In Italy almost nowhere you feel you are in a real danger.

This is what they say about Italy:

6. Italy:

Crime

The reported crime rates in Italy have been doubled as compared to 2013 stats. This is a beautiful and developed nation, but unfortunately the government has to some extent failed to provide the people with peaceful environment. The working women in Southern Italy are especially under serious threat of r*** and murder crimes.

http://top10for.com/top-10-countries-highest-crime-rate-2014/

now you really made my day happier Very Happy Very Happy
what a load of Poopie

aqualung71

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 10 Mar 2015, 1:26 pm

Cyril wrote:Italy for me. Brilliant country! They would do a great job and add a bit of nice weather.

We don't need them. Ireland's bid will probably win on merit. Bidding with Scotland and Wales would dilute the potential atmosphere of the event and weaken the bid IMO. There is no sensible reason for Ireland to combine a bid with Wales and Scotland though I know Cyril is just trying to wind people up.

I have a feeling though Cyril feels threatened that Ireland will put on a better show than England which is a very real possibility given that Twickenham as an area lacks atmosphere and the games in England will be quite spread out and predominantly in football grounds.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11