The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...!

+65
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Biltong
nganboy
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Sin é
caoimhincentre
Agnoo1
asoreleftshoulder
flynnnio
valjester
The Great Aukster
slartibartfast
mystiroakey
Smirnoffpriest
geoff998rugby
MMC
RubyGuby
Gibson
Notch
Messymesina
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Ozzy3213
GunsGerms
glamorganalun
gowales
funnyExiledScot
miteyironpaw
RuggerRadge2611
Shane_Williams
Breadvan
Effervescing Elephant
BlueNote
Glas a du
J_D
dogtooth
Luckless Pedestrian
Shifty
Taffineastbourne
Pal Joey
mankiaow
Casartelli
Cari
Artful_Dodger
Cymroglan
Gatts
SecretFly
Comfort
Thomond
bedfordwelsh
Morgannwg
munkian
eirebilly
Pot Hale
Standulstermen
Feckless Rogue
TycroesOsprey
wales606
rodders
Rory_Gallagher
kiakahaaotearoa
RuckingFlanker86
Knowsit17
ME-109
maestegmafia
69 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Who do you think will be the Winner...???

Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! - Page 18 Vote_lcap70%Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! - Page 18 Vote_rcap 70% 
[ 76 ]
Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! - Page 18 Vote_lcap28%Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! - Page 18 Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 31 ]
Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! - Page 18 Vote_lcap2%Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! - Page 18 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 109

Poll closed

Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! - Page 18 Empty Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...!

Post by maestegmafia Thu 05 Jan 2012, 5:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ireland Six Nations 2012 Squad

15 -Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
13 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
10 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
9 - Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster) Captain
6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
7 - Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:

16 -Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
17 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
18 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
19 - Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
20 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
21 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
22 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

WALES SQUAD

BACKS

Scrumhalf
Mike PHILLIPS (BAYONNE)
Lloyd WILLIAMS (CARDIFF BLUES)
Rhys WEBB (OSPREYS)

Flyhalf
Rhys PRIESTLAND (SCARLETS)
James HOOK (PERPIGNAN)

Centre 3/4s
Jamie ROBERTS (CARDIFF BLUES)
Jonathan DAVIES (SCARLETS)
Scott WILLIAMS (SCARLETS)
Gavin HENSON (CARDIFF BLUES)
Ashley BECK (OSPREYS – Uncapped)

Wing 3/4s
George NORTH (SCARLETS)
Leigh HALFPENNY (CARDIFF BLUES)
Alex CUTHBERT (CARDIFF BLUES)
Harry ROBINSON (CARDIFF BLUES)

Fullbacks
Liam WILLIAMS (SCARLETS – Uncapped)
Lee BYRNE (ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE)

FORWARDS

Tightheads
Craig MITCHELL (EXETER CHIEFS)
Adam JONES (OSPREYS)

Looseheads
Ryan BEVINGTON (OSPREYS)
Gethin JENKINS (CARDIFF BLUES)
Rhys GILL (SARACENS)

Adaptable to both sides of the Scrum
Paul JAMES (OSPREYS)
Rhodri JONES (SCARLETS – Uncapped)

Hookers
Matthew REES (SCARLETS)
Huw BENNETT (OSPREYS)
Ken OWENS (SCARLETS)

Locks
Bradley DAVIES (BLUES)
Ian EVANS (OSPREYS)
Lou REED (SCARLETS – Uncapped)

Back Five Option
Ryan JONES (OSPREYS)

Blindside Flank Forward
Dan LYDIATE (NEWPORT GWENT DRAGONS)

Openside Flank Forward
Sam WARBURTON (CARDIFF BLUES, CAPTAIN)
Justin TIPURIC (OSPREYS)

Number 8s
Toby FALETAU (Dragons)
Andy POWELL (Sale)

Its a month away, just 31 days to the opening game for Wales and Ireland. The excitement of the start of the tournament is as thrilling as it has ever been. I think we are hoping that both sides will show some of the new talent on display in the HEC given their chances at International level. A mix of experience blended in well to temper the exuberance of youth when it is needed.

How do the teams match up historically?

First ever Ireland vs Wales was at Lansdowne Road, Dublin on the 28th of January 1882.

Ireland nil – 2G, 4T Wales
Try: Evans
Bridie
Clapp
Baker Jones

Con: Lewis (2)

The winning result for Wales was their first ever victory in International Rugby. Since then the two Nations have played for the following results.

117 Played 117
47 Wins 64
64 Losses 47
6 Draws 6
164 Tries 201
85 Conversions 98
131 Penalties 126
21 Drop Goals 33
1227 Points 1353
39.66% Success Rate 54.31%

Last meeting was in the Quarter Finals of the RWC 2011. Wales were victorious in a classic encounter. Both nations fielded exceptionally good teams that had done well in their previous pool matches.

The game previous was in the 2011 Six Nations with another win for Wales, controversial due to the try that should not have been allowed scored by Mike Phillips.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Fri 03 Feb 2012, 6:48 am; edited 12 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...!

Post by maestegmafia Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:45 pm

Adam Jones wrote:I honestly feel I have only truly contributed to the ream since 2008, at first I was just happy to be playing for Wales, but as well as we did in my first 50 caps, I have sort of written them off because I wish I had worked harder. I wouldn't forget the 2005 Grand Slam, but even then I was pretty poor.

I was a bit of a lump who could hold up the scrum but didn't make much of a contribution elsewhere. I had a poor World Cup in 2007 and was falling by the wayside.

When Warren Gatland came in I realised I needed to pull my finger out. Craig White (Wales' former conditioning coach) got me in shape and that coincided with the scrum and tight-head position becoming an important part of the game again.

Craig was good because he realised that I didn't need somebody shouting and trying to get me angry to achieve results. He befriended me and things went pretty well.

The conditioning has been hard and I can still go the to rails very quickly and put weight on, but I actually enjoy training now and even do some extra.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ireland vs Wales - WELSH TEAM ANNOUNCED AT 11:50 THIS MORNING...!

Post by maestegmafia Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:50 pm

James Hook wrote:

I was really disappointed with myself at the World Cup. Personally it didn't go well at all. It was frustrating to have worked so hard to get to a level of performance only to lose it just when it really mattered.

My form was good going into the tournament but things didn't go right and it's something I would rather forget.

I'm not making excuses for the World Cup, the coaches believed in me and I wasn't happy with what I produced. But moving to France after that was a help, it was a clean break for me. I wasn't sure what to expect but I'm definitely enjoying it.

Things are not going too well for the team but I'm happy with the way I'm playing in France. I'm improving from playing week in week out in the one position and it gives you confidence. The more games you play there the better you get.

Expectations are going to be huge following the World Cup and we have to perform. We have the squad to do well and we have to aim to win it.

The Six Nations is all about momentum and starting with a good result. We have Ireland first up and that's a huge game which will be really tough.

You would like to think we have a mental edge over them following the wins in the World Cup and last year's tournament but it can work both ways - Ireland will be fired up knowing that.

I'd love to play for Wales again and I'd be happy to play any position - anyone would do the same to play for their country. I love playing in the Six Nations. It's a superb tournament and it's difficult to explain the feeling you get as a player in it.

Winning the Grand Slam in 2008 is one of my best rugby memories and knowing that can be achieved is a huge motivation.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:51 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:
SecretFly wrote:France is our most serious game

I think we should concentrate on the Welsh first. I think we got to used to beating them in the 00's and we started to take them for granted. They're better now. Much more dangerous. And if we aren't on top of our game they'll hand us our arses on a plate. Like they showed us in the RWC.

I think we should concentrate on France, whilst of course planning to beat Wales. I think we should have concentrated on France a long time ago instead of getting dragged into this local warfare of the 'home' nations. And all the while, the outsiders sneer at the 'domestic' spats between the Anglos and Celts and prepare themselves away from the glare of any of that.

Our main rivals have been the French, they've stopped us in our tracks too many times and I think we have all too often sunk into the mindset that they are the exotic ones and well, if you play well against them, that's a bonus. No, it's a loss. And Irish mentality has to change when playing them or the dreams of SH victories can just float into another century. We have our own 'SH' side here in Europe and, despite how others might claim the prize - France are it. They are both top dogs and should be the side that is planned for and hunted most eagerly.

I know what you're saying, Feckless. And it'd be a dumb Irish guy who expressed no caution about Wales. But no, I just don't agree anymore with this 'one game at a time' mantra that will be expressed time and time again in the coming days and weeks. It's been done before, believed in before and has been unsuccessful too many times. It's what gives us our annual Italy game. Play the team in front of you - forget the overviews.

No - one campaign at a time is my view. Think of it as a campaign - and for us, that usually means France as our banana skin. So plan for them with precision from the very off. Our concept of them as part of a Six Nations campaign is just too remote. They're always too far off the radar.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:59 pm

What is the starting Welsh team likely to be for this game?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:07 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:What is the starting Welsh team likely to be for this game?
James, Rees,Jones, Evans, Davies, Jones, Warburton Captain, Faletau, Phillips, Hook, Halfpenny, Roberts, Davies, North and Byrne.

Roberts is still an injury concern according to todays post. Beck or Scot Williams might take his place, or Hook with Steve Jones coming in at ten. Outsider chance that Henson is picked at twelve.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:08 pm

eirebilly wrote:Whats wrong with the banter maest? Its all good fun, a bit of banter actually stops tempers flaring i thought?

Dat was de bedoeling maar...

Cue low-flying jets over Wales.

Ok lets get serious on a forum.

It doesn't matter a hape of shoite what we say.

But. Wales are going down. Like badly.

Trust me. Analyse it all to Death. Player by player... Virtual move by move
You are missing Jenkins - a key pin in your front row.
You are missing Priestland, second only to Sexton in the NH for game-control. He made ye the team you were at the RWC. Controlled the whole show

Had they both been fit, then we had a game. But not now.

Ergo, logically - we will whup yer arses

Is that being serious enough?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:09 pm

1.Paul James
2. M Rees
3. Adam Jones
4. Bradley Davies
5. Ian Evans
6. Lydiate (Ryan Jones)
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Priestland (Hook)
11. North
12. Roberts (Beck)
13. JD
14.North
15. Byrne

19. Bevvington
17. Bennet
18. Ryan Jones (Shingler)
19. Tipuric
20, Lloyd Williams
21. Hook (Stephen Jones)
22. Cuthbert (Sc Williams)

Ones in brackets if injured players dont make it. From the videos of Roberts, training on the WRU website and others I think only Lydiate is a real doubt.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:11 pm

All depends on fitness of 3 players
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:11 pm

Gibson wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Whats wrong with the banter maest? Its all good fun, a bit of banter actually stops tempers flaring i thought?

You are missing Priestland, second only to Sexton in the NH for game-control. He made ye the team you were at the RWC. Controlled the whole show

Your being paticularly schizophrenic today Gibbo. Rolling Eyes

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:13 pm

Will Roberts only miss one game? This all adds up for my fantasy team ya know Wink was hoping to play Davies/Roberts (probably the best and only established centre partnership in the competition).

Last edited by Rory_Gallagher on Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:14 pm

munkian wrote:All depends on fitness of 3 players

Aye munk but I have a feeling that theres some mind games going on. Obviously Im not a physio but Roberts looked fine so did Priestland in Poland whilst Lyds still had a boot on but was skidding around in the snow nonetheless. I would guess Gatts knows and so do the players but rather than a few verbals they are trying to be a bit more subtle with the head games.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:17 pm

Gibson....

If you want to see a proper passing, running outhalf look at Madigan. Now that boy can pass the ball, has an eye for a gap and gets the backline really moving . Sexton is a decent OH but he is limited and while he is No1 at the mome nt it is only a matter of time until Madigan takes his place.

If you think the Welsh were able to read ROG well wait until Saturday. If the forwards dont get us go forwards ball Sexton will struggle . Hopefully Kiss and Co have come up with some different attacking ploys.

Also Gibson you choose to read into what ROG says as it suits your arguement and perception of big bad ROG. tut tut.

Is asoreleftshoulder around....he continues to beat his head against the wall even when he loses the argument...I dont think he realises that once he has lost the argument he should just give up instead of repeating himself constantly... Rolling Eyes angel

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:18 pm

Apparently the players Know the squad already - keep an eye out for thinly veiled tweets Wink
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:20 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Will Roberts only miss one game? This all adds up for my fantasy team ya know Wink was hoping to play Davies/Roberts (probably the best and only established centre partnership in the competition).

You would probably get three tries between them for the whole tournament. I would pick the french centre's as they are up against Italy at home first, feel free to rotate after round one. You think Ireland have a score to settle? I think we're in for some French flair this weekend.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:22 pm

Settling scores is not the way to win games it just makes you play in a blinkered fashion.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:23 pm

Fair play the boys looked like they were training hard and focused

Centers of attention
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:24 pm

well yerterday on Twitter Roberts was going on about how good trainng had been in Poland.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:27 pm

If Priestland makes it.. and nice head-games from Gatland if he does. Then its game on. If he does not - its not. Dont think Lydiate v Jones is a problem. I rate Jones higher. Jenkins loss is huge. Expect Healy to take full advantage. He's like a Bull in a china-shop with VD Merwe keeping him semi-benched at Leinster. He is primed.

At half-backs - we have a major advantage. If Reddan starts with Sexton. Dont know if ye watch the HC, but they've torn teams apart. Murray is the future, but Reddan & Sexton may be picked together for this one. One we have to win. Kidney loves well established club partnerships. Specially when his job is on the line. I think he will pick them.

Kearney is on stunning form. Lions form. So is Trimble. As are Mcfadden & Earls.

I really cant see anything other than an Irish win. And a comfortable one at that. I cant see any justification for a Welsh win. Other than blind-hope.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:30 pm

Amusingly whilst the BBC and the western mails pet goblin are talking about the players being a doubt the WRU are saying it looks quite hopeful.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:32 pm

Gibson wrote:If Priestland makes it.. and nice head-games from Gatland if he does. Then its game on. If he does not - its not. Dont think Lydiate v Jones is a problem. I rate Jones higher. Jenkins loss is huge. Expect Healy to take full advantage. He's like a Bull in a china-shop with VD Merwe keeping him semi-benched at Leinster. He is primed.

At half-backs - we have a major advantage. If Reddan starts with Sexton. Dont know if ye watch the HC, but they've torn teams apart. Murray is the future, but Reddan & Sexton may be picked together for this one. One we have to win. Kidney loves well established club partnerships. Specially when his job is on the line. I think he will pick them.

Kearney is on stunning form. Lions form. So is Trimble. As are Mcfadden & Earls.

I really cant see anything other than an Irish win. And a comfortable one at that. I cant see any justification for a Welsh win. Other than blind-hope.

Healy is a loosehead, he will be up against Adam Jones.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:32 pm

Heard that twice before Broken Record Hug
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:32 pm

Cymroglan wrote:Settling scores is not the way to win games it just makes you play in a blinkered fashion.

Only going by what has been said by Ireland's player and fans pal. They say that but their mentality will be quite different, they are professionals afterall.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:33 pm

Gibson wrote:If Priestland makes it.. and nice head-games from Gatland if he does. Then its game on. If he does not - its not. Dont think Lydiate v Jones is a problem. I rate Jones higher. Jenkins loss is huge. Expect Healy to take full advantage
Gib, wrong way round, my friend - Healy will be up against A Jones, with Ross vs James OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:34 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:
Gibson wrote:

Your being paticularly schizophrenic today Gibbo. Rolling Eyes

No man. Just like to prod and get a reaction. Its my way. It causes discussion. I like to chat. Im a phhoker really. No respect for anyone. Unless they have the brains to make it fun.

Its a 2nd-rate forum. Not Life itself. Capiche?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:36 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Will Roberts only miss one game? This all adds up for my fantasy team ya know Wink was hoping to play Davies/Roberts (probably the best and only established centre partnership in the competition).

You would probably get three tries between them for the whole tournament. I would pick the french centre's as they are up against Italy at home first, feel free to rotate after round one. You think Ireland have a score to settle? I think we're in for some French flair this weekend.

Got the entire French back three! Malzieu, Medard and Clerc. Hope they get about a million tries between them.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:37 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Gibson wrote:If Priestland makes it.. and nice head-games from Gatland if he does. Then its game on. If he does not - its not. Dont think Lydiate v Jones is a problem. I rate Jones higher. Jenkins loss is huge. Expect Healy to take full advantage
Gib, wrong way round, my friend - Healy will be up against A Jones, with Ross vs James OK

Ross will have it easier. Healey will run riot. If the anchor holds - the loosehead has fun.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:38 pm

ESPN thinks that Howley is "optimistic" over Preistland, Roberts and Lydiate

http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2012/rugby/story/158567.html

If Preistland and Roberts are fit, I will be happy. Ill be very happy if Lydiate makes it too.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:40 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
Cymroglan wrote:Settling scores is not the way to win games it just makes you play in a blinkered fashion.

Only going by what has been said by Ireland's player and fans pal. They say that but their mentality will be quite different, they are professionals afterall.

I was just giving my opinion about teams needing to be focused.

No need to use the condescending term Pal

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:41 pm

Gibson wrote:

Ross will have it easier. Healey will run riot. If the anchor holds - the loosehead has fun.

Has ross played many games this year, I thought he was second fiddle to Hagan.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:45 pm

Apparently Tainton said today that the 13 shirt for Ireland will be filled by someone who has been playing centre regularly this season, so who does that exclude?

Bowe, Trimble?

Could still include Earls, Darcy, McFadden, O'Malley
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:47 pm

D'Arcy at 13? Can't see it myself. Knowing Kidney it'll probably be Earls. Won't really matter who if Roberts makes it.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:48 pm

But Cymro, everyone wants to be my pal Smile.

I thought we had this one in the bag a few months ago, but now I am not so sure, as Irelands players are not as bad as I thought! Saying that, our players aren't as bad as their fans think either. I can't call it right now, and I get nervous thinking about it.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:51 pm

damn the swans managed to blow a 1.0 lead against chelsea with an own goal in injury time. Makes me glad Im a rugby fan.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:55 pm

[quote="Morgannwg"]

Only going by what has been said by Ireland's player and fans pal. They say that but their mentality will be quite different, they are professionals afterall. /quote]

Nail on the head Morgan. We are punters in hope. Not pros. But its nice to chat.

And I dont think revenge is really a part of it. Maybe,it will spur us at the start. But Cymro is right. Id like to think that the two sides will leave that behind, once they get rid of the 1st 10 mins of initial Irish fury. Then it settles into a game. Focus is key. The past is gone.

For my part, Sexton is the key to this game. Munster were mullered in the scrum v Saints - away in the HC. Yet they still ran round them and destroyed them. Earls played a major part in that at 13. I expect him to start there. If needed, ROG may be useful later in the game. And then Id move Sexton to 12 to keep it rolling. Let ROG pin em back. But, I dont think he will be needed to win the game.

Wales will not get out of Ireland with a win.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:56 pm

Morgannwg wrote:But Cymro, everyone wants to be my pal Smile.

I thought we had this one in the bag a few months ago, but now I am not so sure, as Irelands players are not as bad as I thought! Saying that, our players aren't as bad as their fans think either. I can't call it right now, and I get nervous thinking about it.

Man for man there is not that much difference between the two sides but as a team we are ahead of them as was proved in the WC

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:56 pm

Gibson if Kidney starts Redden then we really are going backwards. Doesnt matter who is OH, Phillips will eat Redden.

You are right it is a 2nd rate forum (I will agree that with you).

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:00 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Gibson wrote:

Big no there mate. Ross starts every HC game. Healy is mixing it with VD Merwe. And Schmidt has him straining at the leash. Spreading the minutes across the squad. Leinster's depth will really help Ireland. The players have been nicely managed.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:00 pm

Wales will not get out of Ireland with a win.

Flashes of 2008 on the old 606, only back then we weren't beating the Irish at Croker Very Happy

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:01 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:
Now, my point about the irish back row being slow is that they are slower than the welsh. I havent seen a lot of SoB this season so if you say his work at the breakdown has improved I will take your word for it. Has it improved wenough to match Warburton though?

SOB and Warburton went head to head a few weeks ago. O'Brien scored a try and was MOTM so yes he is more than good enough to match Warburton. In fact on his recent form Warburton needs to prove he can match SOB. Do try and keep up Tycroes.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:05 pm

roddersm wrote:
TycroesOsprey wrote:
Now, my point about the irish back row being slow is that they are slower than the welsh. I havent seen a lot of SoB this season so if you say his work at the breakdown has improved I will take your word for it. Has it improved wenough to match Warburton though?

SOB and Warburton went head to head a few weeks ago. O'Brien scored a try and was MOTM so yes he is more than good enough to match Warburton. In fact on his recent form Warburton needs to prove he can match SOB. Do try and keep up Tycroes.

Didn't you see Warburton in the Blues' last two Heino games? Still producing turnovers at crucial moments. Shame the regions aren't nearly as well-coached or well-supported as the national side.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:06 pm

Gibson wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Gibson wrote:

Big no there mate. Ross starts every HC game. Healy is mixing it with VD Merwe. And Schmidt has him straining at the leash. Spreading the minutes across the squad. Leinster's depth will really help Ireland. The players have been nicely managed.

Looks like the have, Ross has definitely not started every HEC match. I just checked the team sheets of a couple and Hagan and him are evens for starters.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:06 pm

"If both sides go out with similar players and tactics to the last time then Wales will win comfortably. The last meeting wasn't close at all and Wales could have won by even more.

Kidney will have to come up with a better game plan than in the RWC. If as it looks we will be going in with a midfield of D'arcy and Earls then Wales will batter us I think.

The only way I see us winning is if we dominate Wales up front but bar in the lineout, I can't see that happening if their front row and back row are fit.

Wales by 7- 12 points unfortunately."

Your words, not that different to my assessment really is it? We seem to have a case of its ok if you speak the truth about Irish chances but heaven forbid a welshman actually does it.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:08 pm

roddersm wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
roddersm wrote:If both sides go out with similar players and tactics to the last time then Wales will win comfortably. The last meeting wasn't close at all and Wales could have won by even more.

Kidney will have to come up with a better game plan than in the RWC. If as it looks we will be going in with a midfield of D'arcy and Earls then Wales will batter us I think.

The only way I see us winning is if we dominate Wales up front but bar in the lineout, I can't see that happening if their front row and back row are fit.

Wales by 7- 12 points unfortunately.

Our backrow will dominate Wales this time I feel. Our pack in general will. It is our back-line who will need to add the spark. I am not sure they will.

I don't think our pack will dominate at all. Wales showed in the RWC that they have a better scrum when Jones and Jenkins are fit and they had no problem dealing with the ball carrying of our backrow which is what Ireland's game plan has revolved around recently. The lineout is the one area were our pack is superior.

Wales delt with the arial threat of Bowe and O'Gara's kicks to the corner easliy enough so I don't really see where we will threathen them.

By contrast I don't believe that a midfield containing any combination of D'arcy, Earls, McFadden or Paddy Wallace will be able to hold Roberts, North, Davies so I can't see a different result than the last time.

The only difference that I can see is that we won't underestimate Wales the way we did in the RWC. I think we need to accept that as a team they are better than us now and unless we find something extra or do something different against them then we will struggle. From the post match comments in the RWC Wales neither fear us or particularly respect us and we need to earn that respect back.

As the signs are that Kidney won't be making many changes from the RWC its hard to see how we will over come the 10-12 point deficit we lost by in NZ. I hope I am proved wrong but I think Gatland and Wales have our number right now.

some more. laughing

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:08 pm

Just think Wales will really miss Jenkins at LH.

Not much between us in the frontrow. Or the backrow. Locks? Yeah. .. its ours and that is key to the game.

Bottom line is, a lot depends on Priestland starting. Hook & Stephen Jones are not at Sextons level as playmakers.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:15 pm

Cymroglan wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:But Cymro, everyone wants to be my pal Smile.

Man for man there is not that much difference between the two sides but as a team we are ahead of them as was proved in the WC

I beg to differ Sir. That is the problem with Welsh fans. They live in the past.

This is a whole new ball game.

Welcome to Lansdowne. Welcome to the wrath of Irish hurt. And this time, we play with ONE ball. Like Hitler.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:17 pm

We really arent going to miss Gethin or the locks as much as you think. James is a better scrummager who is effective in defence but we lose Gethn as a ball carrier. However Ian Evans and Bradley are both proven ball carriers (far more than AWJ or Charts) so we are up on players who can take the ball and break the tackle. Our lineout is not weaker with Evans in the team instead of Charteris and on form he would have been putting up his hand for selection.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:17 pm

Thats was the old me ..... Very Happy

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:18 pm

roddersm wrote:Thats was the old me ..... Very Happy

I liked the old you better kiss

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:23 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:
roddersm wrote:Thats was the old me ..... Very Happy

I liked the old you better kiss

Well the old me might return on Monday.....until then its war boxing Leprechaun
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:23 pm

DOD wrote:
Is asoreleftshoulder around....he continues to beat his head against the wall even when he loses the argument...I dont think he realises that once he has lost the argument he should just give up instead of repeating himself constantly... Rolling Eyes angel

Which argument have I lost,I've clearly refuted you're half baked attempt at debate by addressing your points and pointing out the flaws in them.You then stick your fingers in your ears and go lalalalalala and think that you have made some witticism worthy of Oscar Wilde.

Please make a post that addresses any of the arguments I made and I'll point out where you are wrong again tomorrow as I'm logging off for the night now.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next