The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Price - John McDermott - Predictions - Sky Sports 1 - Saturday

+31
Knowsit17
All Time Great
compelling and rich
ShahenshahG
Pound-for-Pound
djlovesyou
KingMonkey
hogey
The Galveston Giant
Imperial Ghosty
Adam D
TRUSSMAN66
WelshDevilRob
johnson2
Rowley
BoxingFan88
manos de piedra
88Chris05
Soldier_Of_Fortune
oxring
Lance
milkyboy
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
tobbox
inman124
hampo17
Union Cane
TopHat24/7
Fists of Fury
azania
AlexHuckerby
35 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

David Price - John McDermott - Predictions - Sky Sports 1 - Saturday Empty David Price - John McDermott - Predictions - Sky Sports 1 - Saturday

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 18 Jan 2012, 3:12 pm

So how we see it? Also what will it tell us about Price? McDermott recently dispatched a hype job in Olumbiwo (Spelling will be incorrect) could he do the same to Price? This is the first time he's been in with a genuinely decent fighter.

I have liked Price so far, seems good on his feet for such a big guy, has a very nice jab, clearly bangs with that straight right hand. (See Tom Dallas and the American chap before him) Fury beat McDermott rather unconvincindly once and then beat him a second time by knocking himout so how will his performance fair in regards to Fury's?

Thoughts?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

David Price - John McDermott - Predictions - Sky Sports 1 - Saturday Empty Re: David Price - John McDermott - Predictions - Sky Sports 1 - Saturday

Post by azania Wed 18 Jan 2012, 3:22 pm

Dont let McDermott's win against larry fool you. The guy is pretty much useless. Notwithstanding his lardish appearance. he was decent but not anymore.

azania

Back to top Go down

David Price - John McDermott - Predictions - Sky Sports 1 - Saturday Empty Re: David Price - John McDermott - Predictions - Sky Sports 1 - Saturday

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 18 Jan 2012, 3:22 pm

Price has good power in both hands, and I'm backing him to stop Big John inside 7 and really make a statement at British level.

His chin has been questioned in some quarters, so it will be interesting to see how he gets on if he is hit flush, though Big John isn't the heaviest of punchers.

Looking forward to seeing his progress, which should tell us some more about whether he is ready to step up his opposition just yet.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 3:27 pm

Price to stop John in 6 and Fury in 8.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 18 Jan 2012, 3:45 pm

azania wrote:Notwithstanding his lardish appearance.

But surely, given today's modern training and nutrition...

Whistle
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 18 Jan 2012, 3:57 pm

Union Cane wrote:
azania wrote:Notwithstanding his lardish appearance.

But surely, given today's modern training and nutrition...

Whistle

On the contrary. He's a throwback to the olden days.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 4:22 pm

Price to knock big John out. I think that McDermott had the fight of his life against Fury the first time, and in fairness got robbed, I really don't rate Fury at all and I'd expect Price to stop him late.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by inman124 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 4:26 pm

I fancy Price to jab his way through 2 rounds then land combinations throughout rounds 3-4 and stop him in the 5th

inman124

Back to top Go down

Post by tobbox Wed 18 Jan 2012, 5:09 pm

Easy night for Price, should stop McDermott in the first couple of rounds.

tobbox

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 18 Jan 2012, 5:15 pm

He will blitz him inside 3 rounds. McDermott is a nice guy but his approach to the game is disgusting. He will be a sucker to price's jab as he doesn't move his head, won't be able to get to price given his size and lack of speed and won't be able to take too many rights which are devastating

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 18 Jan 2012, 7:13 pm

those of you pinning your hopes on price being the next big thing are going to be disapointed i think.

however i don't believe mcdermott will be tha man to show him up, but at his most motivated he can be a handful so will be interested to see how this pans out

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 18 Jan 2012, 7:41 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:He will blitz him inside 3 rounds. McDermott is a nice guy but his approach to the game is disgusting. He will be a sucker to price's jab as he doesn't move his head, won't be able to get to price given his size and lack of speed and won't be able to take too many rights which are devastating
[right]

I dont know his approach to boxing, but he will never be a body beautiful person.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 19 Jan 2012, 1:21 pm

milkyboy wrote:those of you pinning your hopes on price being the next big thing are going to be disapointed i think.

however i don't believe mcdermott will be tha man to show him up, but at his most motivated he can be a handful so will be interested to see how this pans out

Why is it that you don't think Price is really the next big thing?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 19 Jan 2012, 7:43 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
milkyboy wrote:those of you pinning your hopes on price being the next big thing are going to be disapointed i think.

Why is it that you don't think Price is really the next big thing?

primarily its based on him getting 'rolled like a drunk' to quote your new best buddy, by cammarelle in the olympics. In principle any heavy can get dropped, so that might sound unfair, but he looked like a manufactured fighter to me... when hurt he seemed to have no natural fighting instincts. You could argue bowe got stopped by lewis etc, but it was the manner of it as much as anything. I don't believe it was the only time he got stiffed as an amateur either. He's looked better as a pro, but too stiff and manufactured generally imo. He has size reach and power, but I think he'll go the first time someone tags him, and they will sooner or later. Nothing against the guy, hope i'm wrong

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 19 Jan 2012, 8:04 pm

... should have refreshed my memory before posting... just watched it again on youtube and i've been harsh on him in respect of the fighting instincts... i thought he'd been wobbled a few times andwas hanging on... when he was justcaught too easy throughout the whole fight and a bit outclassed by a quality opponent. Still big question mark on his chin though.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 19 Jan 2012, 8:44 pm

toughest fight of price has had as a pro. will be interesting to see how he does if mcdermott covers up and tries to frustrate him. if he can bang him out early will be a decent statement from him though

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 19 Jan 2012, 9:29 pm

He SHOULD stop McDermott in 5 rounds. However - this sport has a way of fooling us all.

McDermott is a reasonable pressure fighter and Price hasn't fought anyone in the pros of his 'class' yet. This is a decent step up for him. It is a challenge that I'm sure he will overcome - and he should overcome it with some comfort - but in boxing, nothing is certain.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 20 Jan 2012, 10:46 am

milkyboy wrote:... should have refreshed my memory before posting... just watched it again on youtube and i've been harsh on him in respect of the fighting instincts... i thought he'd been wobbled a few times andwas hanging on... when he was justcaught too easy throughout the whole fight and a bit outclassed by a quality opponent. Still big question mark on his chin though.

After reading the post I was going to say can you actually remember the fight Laugh

He was outclassed by the Italian on that day.

I think Price will end McDermott early. Am not sure that McDermott would be able to take a flush right when landed. I think it will be over by 5. I hope McDermott does give Price something to think about though and get him fighting out of 1st gear

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 20 Jan 2012, 12:19 pm

Would be extremely interesting to see how he would deal with someone of his size (With some skills unlike , - no offence to him - Tom Dallas.)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 12:28 pm

I fancy Price to win this at a canter, to be honest - I'll be surprised if McDermott makes it past the fourth / fifth round. I actually think his style is going to play right in to Price's hands, as the big fella can bang but also isn't too bad on his feet and could easily win rounds emphatically against a plodder like McDermott while playing the matador role, should he choose to do so.

Price to thoroughly dominate and demoralize McDermott before ending things in the fourth is how I see it. Genuinely think the two of them are worlds apart.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 20 Jan 2012, 12:47 pm

alma wrote:The way Price's career has been handled has been shocking, quite frankly. I realise there's been the odd injury here and there, but he's 28 and only had 11 pro fights in 3 years and he's fighting someone who's lost 4 out of his last 5 fights.

He's probably going to be at his peak in the next year to 18 months and he probably won't even be fighting at European level by then.

To be fair to McDermott though, its a bit misleading to say hes lost 4 out of his last 5. He was unlucky not to get the nod in at least one of the Williams bouts and I thought he was the definate winner in the first Fury bout. He also coming off a good win over Olumbamiwo.

I actually think this is a decet fight for Price at this point, 11 fights in, as McDermott generaly provides a test and a bit of competition that Price hasnt really faced so far. I expect Price to win comfortably but if there are weaknesses there than someone like McDermott can ask a question as Fury found out not too long ago.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 20 Jan 2012, 12:50 pm

McDermott won't put his head down and windmill ridiculously like Dallas did. He should smash him, but I think McDermott's a resilient old cookie and think that he will keep it going until about the 8th.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 12:52 pm

I really feel sorry for big John, he got robbed against Williams and totally robbed in the first Fury fight.

He is a very humble boxer and goes about his ring business in the right way. He doesn't trash talk and is a likeable character. He just wants to win the british title and I would love it if he did at some point. Probably his last chance saloon but the times he has been robbed, I think he deserves it.

I'm a fan of Price though so I want him to win. but I won't be that gutted if big John pulls it off.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 20 Jan 2012, 12:57 pm

sAME MATE, HE DESERVED THE NOD OVER wILLIAMS AND THE FIRST fURY FIGHT FOR ME, i'VE ALWAYS LIKED BIG jOHN, MAYBE HE DOESN'T LOOK LIKE HE'S IN GREAT CONDITION, BUT HE HAS ALWAYS HAD A GOOD ENGINE, AND HE ALWAYS GIVES HIS BEST.

I aren't redoing it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:00 pm

Boxing fan, like you have always kind of liked Big John, not the most talented guy in the world but always seemed humble and articulate outside the ring. Don't care for the term robbery as it is overused and often applied to fights that are nothing of the sort. However would have to agree in as much as anyone can claim to have been robbed against Williams and Fury John can claim to have been on the wrong end of two absolute howlers, he deserves a break but suspect this weekend is not going to be the day he gets it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:04 pm

Martinez is 36 and in his prime, Price started late so I think he will peak later Alma. Not just in 18 months or so. Depends on the mileage on his body more than anything usually.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:09 pm

I think the heat beat john more than fury did that night.

He clearly won the first fight hands down.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:09 pm

Heavyweight age for peak tends to be older than smaller fighters. 28 is not old for a heavyweight at all.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:10 pm

I find it incredibly hard to like someone who shows such utter contempt to get himself into shape.

Appreciate not everyone can have a god-like physique like myself, but come on, what does he diet on pre-fight. KFC.

He will be flat out by 6 rounds, and will no doubt get a large pizza to make himself feel better.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:12 pm

johnson2 wrote:I find it incredibly hard to like someone who shows such utter contempt to get himself into shape.

And here was me thinking we had been getting on OK.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:12 pm

rowley wrote:
johnson2 wrote:I find it incredibly hard to like someone who shows such utter contempt to get himself into shape.

And here was me thinking we had been getting on OK.

You are not a pro athlete though, Jeff.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:13 pm

alma wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:
alma wrote:The way Price's career has been handled has been shocking, quite frankly. I realise there's been the odd injury here and there, but he's 28 and only had 11 pro fights in 3 years and he's fighting someone who's lost 4 out of his last 5 fights.

He's probably going to be at his peak in the next year to 18 months and he probably won't even be fighting at European level by then.

To be fair to McDermott though, its a bit misleading to say hes lost 4 out of his last 5. He was unlucky not to get the nod in at least one of the Williams bouts and I thought he was the definate winner in the first Fury bout. He also coming off a good win over Olumbamiwo.

I actually think this is a decet fight for Price at this point, 11 fights in, as McDermott generaly provides a test and a bit of competition that Price hasnt really faced so far. I expect Price to win comfortably but if there are weaknesses there than someone like McDermott can ask a question as Fury found out not too long ago.

The way the heavyweight division is at the moment I dont think theres a major rush. He wont ever struggle to get a shot if he has the talent. I still think he would be better off taking a few more testing fights like McDermott just to see if there are any flaws that need ironing out and then look to fight Fury in the next 12months or so if Fury has not moved upwards and onwards by then.
I realise McDermott got shafted in the first Fury fight but he lost handily in the second and Fury was only 22. I just think Price clearly has more ability than Fury and yet Fury fights more regularly and has already fought at a higher level. Price is 28 and needs to get a move on before things pass him by.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:32 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:I think the heat beat john more than fury did that night.

He clearly won the first fight hands down.

I agree on both. Fury came in heavy to try an blast McDermott out of there. Fury started of ok (apart from that woeful attempt of an Ali Stuffle which he got tagged for haha :augh:) But John was starting to have a lot of success and Fury was litterally hanging on in there, mainly due to being far too heavy and out of condition.

Unfortunately the heat then took its toll and he was going down when Fury was landing a clean punch, ones of which he shrugged off in his first fight. You only have to see how emotional Fury was in his interview afterwards to know he quite possibly dodged another bullet.

I wouldn't begrudge McDermott win in the slightlest on Sat but I just think its going to end sour for him. Its a shame really because he should have definately should have held the British title at one point.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:58 pm

Going for Price to get a stoppage around the 7th. Think it will be a cautious and scrappy a fair early on. McDermotts inactivity doesn't help either.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 20 Jan 2012, 7:06 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
milkyboy wrote:... should have refreshed my memory before posting... just watched it again on youtube and i've been harsh on him in respect of the fighting instincts... i thought he'd been wobbled a few times andwas hanging on... when he was justcaught too easy throughout the whole fight and a bit outclassed by a quality opponent. Still big question mark on his chin though.

After reading the post I was going to say can you actually remember the fight Laugh

He was outclassed by the Italian on that day.

I think Price will end McDermott early. Am not sure that McDermott would be able to take a flush right when landed. I think it will be over by 5. I hope McDermott does give Price something to think about though and get him fighting out of 1st gear

at my age i struggle to remember what i had for breakfast... in this case my memory was of him looking stiff and robotic, and i'd assumed that was after he'd been hit... when it was actually just indicative of how he fights regardless Wink

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 7:10 pm

Early ko for me..Mcdermott is slow...can't bang..lacks class and I think it's a mismatch!!!

Price is the best heavy in Britain for me and managed well will be your next world champ...

Yes I think he's got class and is that good..

very well schooled!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 20 Jan 2012, 7:11 pm

This had better go the way we're predicting - else there will be a lot of sheepish faces come Sunday morning.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 20 Jan 2012, 7:14 pm

Talking of which if anyone fancies writing a fight review, we will make a feature of it and tweet it about.

We are beginning to get press access to all kinds of events now, so the best review will have first refusal on the next lot that we secure OK

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 7:15 pm

Tried and tried and tried again and i just can't see how mcdermott wins....

With a baseball bat in his hand he's pickem!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 7:28 pm

I gave up on the prediction league after I bet Marquez would beat Pacquiao and got robbed of my victory.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 7:29 pm

Truss, I don't think anyone thinks McDermott will win, but we are saying the robberies he has endured and the class he has shown, we mind if he does.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 7:29 pm

You were the moral victor though..

In God's eyes you were right!!! Let that console you!!

Amen..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 7:30 pm

Felt more sorry for Marquez than myself. Good thing is boxing fans know who won.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 7:43 pm

I'd be upset If he won...88

I like Price...he's aesthetic....well schooled and seems a nice guy!!

In an era of slobs he's a nice salad!!

He would be good for Boxing

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 7:46 pm

Ahh yeah good point! If the Klitchsko's fought each other, would the HW division light up again?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 20 Jan 2012, 7:47 pm

A step or two above everyone else on the domestic scene is Price.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 20 Jan 2012, 8:17 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:A step or two above everyone else on the domestic scene is Price.

Albeit against inadequate opposition, agreed. He looks quite classy - a new model Lennox Lewis. I will be intrigued to see how far he can go.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 20 Jan 2012, 8:24 pm

Although this wouldn't be of huge interest to me i've been starved of boxing for many weeks now. I've only seen Price as an amatuer but have seen plenty of McDermott especially early on in his career, live also. He cannot be doing sit-ups which is shocking even for a Heavyweight. I was so glad when he lost to Popov as i was sick of the hype, it was clear to everyone he wasn't going far in that kind of shape.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Jan 2012, 8:32 pm

You're right Galvy...and it staggers me to think that a guy in the heavyweight division with the stupid money on offer there!!

Wouldn't commit more!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 20 Jan 2012, 8:35 pm

oxring wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:A step or two above everyone else on the domestic scene is Price.

Albeit against inadequate opposition, agreed. He looks quite classy - a new model Lennox Lewis. I will be intrigued to see how far he can go.

They've all fought inadequate opposition but Price has looked the more impressive by far.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next