The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Price/John McDermott - Saturday 21st January 2011

+7
Mind the windows Tino.
oxring
manos de piedra
kevchadders
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
TRUSSMAN66
AlexHuckerby
11 posters

Go down

David Price/John McDermott - Saturday 21st January 2011 Empty David Price/John McDermott - Saturday 21st January 2011

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:06 pm

In Liverpool on Saturday night Britain saw the birth of it's new hope of a Heavyweight Champion. Standing in at 6 feet 8 and weighing in at 246 pounds Liverpool's very own David Price ended his brief moment of inactivity to show the world just what he can do in the squared circle.

John McDermott a respectable domestic level opponent who has been on the wrong end razor thin decisions against the likes of Tyson Fury and Danny Williams was out to fight for the English Heavyweight Title. The fact that McDermott had pushed Tyson Fury so close, another of Britain's top Heavyweights, meant that this was seen as some form of a measuring stick to gauge just how good David Price truly is.

McDermott was coming off some form of shock 1 round blowout win against Larry Olubamiwo whereas Price was coming off a very classy performance against the unbeaten Tom Dallas in which he picked Dallas apart with his jab and landed a thudding right hand to end proceedings in round 2, these were two men that were worth fighting for the coveted English Title.

Price fighting in his home town did his ring walk to "You'll Never Walk Alone" the Liverpool Football Club's anthem, in which the Liverpool crowd were extremely raucous getting right behind there Olympic Bronze Medalist.

The fight started fast with McDermott rushing straight out after the first bell to the centre of the ring with Price also standing there to try and start throwing his dominant left jab and push McDermott back. McDermott fired out a couple of double jabs in an attempt to set up a big right hand, Price kept calm and simply used his better footwork to move out of the way of the wild attacks, but McDermott kept coming trying to drag him into a type of fight that would have resembled the first Tyson Fury constest. McDermott threw out an overhand right with Price near the ropes which scraped Price's chin but as McDermott's head dipped it was met with a fantastic short right uppercut thrown by Price. McDermott crashed straight to the canvas, but stood back up relatively fast and didn't seem as though the shot had done too much damage. McDermott seemed to want to get into a brawl straight away, but yet again Price simply used his better footwork and threw in combinations before a short right hook clipped McDermott behind the back of the ear sending McDermott to the canvas for a second time. McDermott now looking disorientated stood back up slowly at the count of 9 and wobbled for a moment before the referee took a long hard look at him and allowed him to continue, McDermott again came forward but in a much more lethargic way and beginning to look as though any belief the Essex man had was quickly draining from his mind, a partially blocked left hook and flush straight right hand ended proceedings with McDermott crashing to the ring apron for the final time before referee Howard Foster said enough was enough.

Price looked very sharp and came across as a man desperate to progress in his interview calling out Tyson Fury of who is the British and Commonwealth champion, of who he is a mandatory challenger for citing "If Fury doesn't face me he is going to look like a coward." The members of 606v2 are very excited about seeing David Price progress and seemingly want to take on the biggest challenges possible proving he is the best fighter in Britain first.

However, perhaps we shouldn't use this fight as much of a measuring stick as some others are, compared to the John McDermott that turned up to face Danny Williams and Tyson Fury this was a rather poor version in comparison. McDermott seemingly devoid of motivation coming in 18 pounds heavier than he did in the fight in which he ran Fury close, possibly due to not training as hard and hadn't fought a professional fight for almost a year. Take nothing away from the performance, however we perhaps shouldn't judge this as a complete reason as to why Price should beat Fury.

Nevertheless, what we saw was another dominant performance by David Price and taking the step up to show he is no longer an exciting prospect but an exciting contender and his career and his stock will now catapult whereas anothers fades off into the realms of the unknown.

Written By Alexander Huckerby.

"(c) Copyright 606v2 2012. Please do not reproduce without permission"

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

David Price/John McDermott - Saturday 21st January 2011 Empty Re: David Price/John McDermott - Saturday 21st January 2011

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:33 pm

So beating a twentyish stone slob...proves he's no longer an exciting prospect but an exciting contender....

Ok..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

David Price/John McDermott - Saturday 21st January 2011 Empty Re: David Price/John McDermott - Saturday 21st January 2011

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Ha, well now he's got a domestic title and made a step up in quality of opponent (This may be debated) but McDermott is not a journeyman and considering the poor quality of the HW division he could realistically fight Fury and then face a K Bro, don't think this will happen, but yeah an exciting contender for me.

Your opinion is always valued though Truss xD

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Yep, McDermott came in at a career heavyest and has lost to every decent fighter he's faced, and the standard of British heavyweights is up for debate.

I will hold judgement on Price until he makes real waves.

At least he looks in shape!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Absolutely.....Cooney-Norton tell us anything???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:09 pm

Think most people in the know knew Cooney had a punchers chance against Holmes.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:20 pm

What's that got to do with anything.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:11 pm

I learnt nothing about Price I didn't know about. I'm always very impressed with his footwork for such a big man but McDermott was not test fort Price what so ever. Just a fat bum.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:21 pm

You can only beat what's put in front of you but i still like what I have seen from him thus far.

Fury will provide his first test, and its one i feel he will come through with a win.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:23 pm

I can see him beating Fury as well. Not sure how good Price's chin is but he definitely has the power to take out Fury and can certainly box his way out of any scraps he may get involved in.

Fury can't box he just comes in and throws big bombs he looks made for Price.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:26 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:I can see him beating Fury as well. Not sure how good Price's chin is but he definitely has the power to take out Fury and can certainly box his way out of any scraps he may get involved in.

Agreed, his chin is an unknown at the moment, but he seems to have good boxing fundamentals for a tall heavyweight.

Also agree on Fury and if/when the meet i could see Price taking him out within 6 rounds.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:30 pm

kevchadders wrote:
SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:I can see him beating Fury as well. Not sure how good Price's chin is but he definitely has the power to take out Fury and can certainly box his way out of any scraps he may get involved in.

Agreed, his chin is an unknown at the moment, but he seems to have good boxing fundamentals for a tall heavyweight.

Also agree on Fury and if/when the meet i could see Price taking him out within 6 rounds.

He needs to be more active he's only had just under 30 full rounds in 2 years. The problem is he signed with Maloney who isn't one of the big promoters any more and probably won't fight again until April or May.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:01 pm

dont really mind the lack of fights Price has had if hes getting good sparring and training in the gym. If they move him along and aim for Fury in the next fight or two, which should happen unless Fury himself steps up to Euro/World level then all Price has really missed out on is knocking over a couple of outmatched journeymen which wouldnt have done anything for him anyway.

Really what he needs is a test. McDermott was supposed to at least ask him a couple of questions but he came in at a weight that isnt too far off being classified as morbidly obese. Cannot fathom how he managed to scale over 270 lbs and have put in any kind of roadwork, cardio or diet. He claimed he trained hard for the fight. How?

I think they should they just look for Fury in March. The fight makes sense for both guys now unless Fury can land a fight with Hellenius for the Euro strap. No point wasting anymore time on journeymen.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:31 pm

Fury is looking for that US date against a big name in March - around St Patrick's day at the MSG, if Hennessy gets his way.

(Incidentally - this is why fat Mick isn't that great a promoter. Sure, you've just beaten Paycheq of Canada in a 3 round blowout where you were sat down in the second - I'll definitely be able to sell out the Garden on the back of that in March...If the man was a bit more realistic with his charges, he might do a bit better).

Anyway - given Hennessy's grand master plan for Fury to take over the universe involves Fury fighting "hopefully a big name" in March - its likely the Price fight would happen later, perhaps nearer the end of next year.

Price would be a heavy betting favourite thus far.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:36 pm

oxring wrote:Fury is looking for that US date against a big name in March - around St Patrick's day at the MSG, if Hennessy gets his way.

(Incidentally - this is why fat Mick isn't that great a promoter. Sure, you've just beaten Paycheq of Canada in a 3 round blowout where you were sat down in the second - I'll definitely be able to sell out the Garden on the back of that in March...If the man was a bit more realistic with his charges, he might do a bit better).

Anyway - given Hennessy's grand master plan for Fury to take over the universe involves Fury fighting "hopefully a big name" in March - its likely the Price fight would happen later, perhaps nearer the end of next year.

On an undercard? I thought Macklin was against Martinez that weekend in MSG? I think DiBella is organising that one.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:40 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
oxring wrote:Fury is looking for that US date against a big name in March - around St Patrick's day at the MSG, if Hennessy gets his way.

On an undercard? I thought Macklin was against Martinez that weekend in MSG? I think DiBella is organising that one.

Hennessey was hoping to get Fury on the under card.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:46 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

Hennessey was hoping to get Fury on the under card.

When I last heard him interviewed - it actually sounded like he would be headlining - quote was something like "We've got the date at the MSG" - or somesuch to that effect.

On an under-card is more believable. Doubtless they'll talk to a few exciting ex champs - and then get someone rubbish.

A Rahman, a Chambers or a Walker would be adequate.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Chambers would whip Fury. To be honest Id give Rahman a decent chance aswell.

It will probably be Kevin McBride!

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:57 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Chambers would whip Fury. To be honest Id give Rahman a decent chance aswell.

It will probably be Kevin McBride!

Manos you should be a match maker that's a great shout I never thought of McBride.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:10 am

Cheers Alma,

To be fair, before and after the fight I still remain confident that Price would do a job on Fury, but basically what I was saying is that Fury fought a much tougher McDermott than Price did.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:14 am

That's a rather good review Alex. Who wrote it?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:19 am

My sister of course!! Laugh

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:34 am

Great review, Alexander.

I hadn't seen much of Price before Saturday, and to be honest after that I'm none the wiser.

We know that Fury has knockout power (8 wins inside 3 rounds), he can go 12 rounds if required, can take a punch, and can get back up from being knocked down.

We know Price can knock over a bucket of lard, but what else do we know?

I'd back Fury if they were to meet now.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:38 am

I'd back Price, really don't rate Fury, is game enough but don't think he hits as hard as his record or size suggests, think particularly recently his stoppages have been premature, beyond gameness I don't see much in the way of quality and his conditioning is not what it should be. He also ships way too much, has got away with it against second tier heavyweights or Chisora who made big John look lean but against Price I think he is getting knocked out.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:39 am

Would back price also, Fury's technique is awful.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 am

In fairness - Fury's technique against Chisora was relatively tight. He clearly hadn't bothered with the same level of training against Stoneman Firtha or Paycheq - that much was obvious with the shape he was in for the respective fights.

He would be in shape for a Price fight - there's genuine edge there. Price has outboxed Fury before (in the ams) and clearly could therefore outbox him again.

However - Fury was about 12 years old when he was outboxed by Price - whereas Price was 25. Secondly - there's that legend that in one of the rounds, Fury nearly had Price out of there.

HOWSOEVER - Fury's defence has let him down in the last 3 fights - he's been down once and wobbled twice. He joked himself that his "chin's gone" - it isn't that, its that without a crash helmet - you can't walk forward, hands out in front of him and walk onto a right hand through the middle, from ANY decent HW and stay on your feet.

Price lands the shot that Pajkic landed - and its all over, for good.

THAT SAID - Fury is very VERY young (for a HW) - time is on his side more than Price. He could have 10 years before he's ready for the top.

And the way he looked in his last fight - he'll probably need about that much.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:20 pm

Sorry Oxy, but you seem to have a bit too much respect for Fury.

He is entertaining to watch, in a slightly car crash kind of way, I mean compare him to someone with world level technique and it is just plain embarassing. He could get better, but I don't think he will get all that much better.

He still flails his arms, plods, can't handle anyone that exerts some form of pressure, even fatty version of Chisora managed to have him in trouble early.

In truth I don't think I've seen a single improvement on Fury really... Occassionally he looks half decent, at other times he looks god awful, has been like that throughout his entire career really.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:29 pm

Think that would be my issue with Fury Alex, I am not seeing him improve with passing fights, he showed occasions early in his career where he utilised his reach behind a decent jab relatively well which very much suggests that was the way forward stylistically for him but he has if anything regressed from this point and uses the jab less than ever, makes for entertaining fights but as he steps up have to think his desire to have a tear up will come back to haunt him.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Do get the impression he does not always take things as serious as he should, remember before the first McDermott fight which was a step up at the time he said his only sparring had been with his cousin whose only qualification appeared to be that he was a "big lump". Am sure he puts the work in but it has to be the right kind of work if he is to improve.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:40 pm

rowley wrote:Do get the impression he does not always take things as serious as he should, remember before the first McDermott fight which was a step up at the time he said his only sparring had been with his cousin whose only qualification appeared to be that he was a "big lump". Am sure he puts the work in but it has to be the right kind of work if he is to improve.

Cracked me up with the big lump one there Rowley!!

Yeah, also he seems to suffer from being bipolar or some form of depression, which of course isn't his fault, but is probably going to be a hindrance on his career. His dedication to training doesn't appear to be huge walking in at 270+ against McDermott for the second time whereas he had been at 250ish the first time suggests to me that he isn't really training as hard as he can.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:52 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
rowley wrote:Do get the impression he does not always take things as serious as he should, remember before the first McDermott fight which was a step up at the time he said his only sparring had been with his cousin whose only qualification appeared to be that he was a "big lump". Am sure he puts the work in but it has to be the right kind of work if he is to improve.

Cracked me up with the big lump one there Rowley!!

Yeah, also he seems to suffer from being bipolar or some form of depression, which of course isn't his fault, but is probably going to be a hindrance on his career. His dedication to training doesn't appear to be huge walking in at 270+ against McDermott for the second time whereas he had been at 250ish the first time suggests to me that he isn't really training as hard as he can.

That was my point with ref to the shape he can get himself in.

He weighed in at 255 1/2 against Chisora - and he was evidently in really good nick. Although only a couple of pounds heavier against Pajkic - he was clearly soft - and that can't happen if you've been putting in the roadwork, the gymwork and the sparring.

Price is skilled, powerful with good footwork. Fury is a big lump with physical advantages he seldom uses. On paper, this should be Price's fight all day long - however - Fury would turn up for a fight with Price in much better shape than against these Americo-Canadian journeymen he's been facing thus far.

As I said - on balance, thus far, you'd make Price a pretty heavy favourite - but don't write Fury off - just because he's flabby around the middle, doesn't punch with as much power as he should for his size, has little to no defence and once punched himself in the face.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:56 pm

Putting an aqful lot of stock into the idea that Fury will get himself into the best shape possible for a Price fight.

For me though in truth, even if he was in the best shape of his life, the skills, technique and thought that Price puts into his work will surely be far too much for Fury to handle. I'm gonna be honest I give Fury a punchers chance, and that's mainly because Price's chin is still untested.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:39 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Putting an aqful lot of stock into the idea that Fury will get himself into the best shape possible for a Price fight.

For me though in truth, even if he was in the best shape of his life, the skills, technique and thought that Price puts into his work will surely be far too much for Fury to handle. I'm gonna be honest I give Fury a punchers chance, and that's mainly because Price's chin is still untested.

The sad thing is though, Fury would probably find a way to upset the odds. No doubt about it, Fury is talentless compared to Price, but I wouldn't put it past Fury to "find a way".

On a level headed response - Price would win (no matter what shape Fury is in) by Round 4.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down